Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E18: Homefront

WendyCR72
  • Start Topic

When one of their colleagues is arrested by Internal Affairs for lying on the witness stand, it leads to the release of three felons whose cases he worked on and the team being asked to check in on them now that they are free. Meanwhile, Officer Nolan finds out he is being sued by a man who claims he used excessive force which led to an injury.

(edited)

Was the judge a relative of the plaintiff? Guy acted like an ass to Nolan.

All it took was Nolan leaving, in order for him to stop digging a deeper hole for himself and for the kid to do his job resulting in the case was dropped. It would have been nice to see the kid in action obviously going against the judge and the lawyer.

From Nolan's body cam footage, the guy just flopped to the ground before Nolan contacted him but from the other camera angle Nolan knocked him down. Bad job by the director.

The one thing this show was missing all this time was the useless "hook up in the janitor's room" scene.

Did Jackson think his father was going to just say "Yes! I'm dirty"? Good luck to whatever you're planning to resolve this situation.

Does Grey have dirty secrets too when Commander West told him to not have anything blow back on him?

I must admit at first when he said to make sure they can bounce a quarter of his "bunk", I thought he said butt and had to rewind to make sure.

Shouldn't Talia be assigned a partner when Nolan is out? If she was killed, I may have dropped the show for good.

Nothing for Chen and Bradford to do this episode but play paintball. I guess these two are going to end up together.

What are the chances for the young lawyer to have a spin off?

Edited by mxc90
  • Love 5
(edited)

ABC needs to stop leading with the Promo's Nolan is going to either be killed or going to jail.  Nathan's not going anywhere.  Way too much 80's. fake drama.  

Promo ran me running the other way from this one.  I took a nap. Will watch tomorrow.  

Edited by break21
  • Love 3
(edited)
12 hours ago, rhys said:

Welp, Com West sounds guilty & Bishop is guilty by ommission. Damn. Doesn't look good for the squad.

Derek/Derrick  Dylan (thanks, shapeshifter) was Talia's foster brother for a year when they were young.  He might not have even had a criminal record when they lived together.  I know in her mind she was lying through omission, but if the form asked for relatives with criminal records, would a very temporary foster brother even count?  And if they asked for criminal acquaintances and she hadn't kept in touch with him since she moved out as a youth, would she have had to list him?  Does a potential officer have to list all the people they may have known in their neighborhood who they now know to have criminal records?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 4
  • Love 16

OMG Nolan was annoying me over and over again with his useless comments during the hearing after being told repeatedly by his lawyer to be quiet. Nolan is supposed to be mature enough to know better. It would have worked as a comedic bit, but instead it was just irritating. I guess it was supposed to be funny and the director didn't get the memo.

I'm pretty sure the "young" lawyer was Evil Peter Pan in Once Upon A Time, which I think would mean he's not that young.

Excellent points, @ItCouldBeWorse. The foster brother is "Dylan."

• Love 13
(edited)

I wonder if a foster brother would really be considered a relative. Foster kids move from home to home, some from a very early age, so there shouldn't be any reason to remember every kid that they had come in contact with. One year together is really not that long a time and the importance of the familial connection might vary especially depending on how old you were at the time.

I was disappointed that Chen and Bradford went onto the paintball field without proper eye protection.

Edited by AnimeMania
add paintball comment
  • Love 4
54 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

would a foster brother even countAnd if they asked for criminal acquaintances and she hadn't kept in touch with him since she moved out as a youth, would she have had to list him?  Does a potential officer have to list all the people they may have known in their neighborhood who they now know to have criminal records?

A foster brother of a year no less. Some families foster dozens of kids over a period of 20 or 30 years. It's kind of unreasonable to expect her to list any of those kids who might have a criminal record.

• Love 4

Apparently, if one is looking to be a police officer and is divorced, even the ex-spouse can be interviewed for the background check. So if that is the case, I guess foster family would also qualify. And failing to disclose any known infractions can hurt a prospective recruit.

• Useful 1

I have no idea how someone in foster care would be able to determine the criminal record of every person they every shared a house with. I am sure if someone who was in foster care and also in the police force checked the criminal record of every person they every shared a house, they would probably have validated some kind of rule of the police force.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, AnimeMania said:

I have no idea how someone in foster care would be able to determine the criminal record of every person they every shared a house with. I am sure if someone who was in foster care and also in the police force checked the criminal record of every person they every shared a house, they would probably have validated some kind of rule of the police force.

Speaking from personal experience (I was a foster child) they couldn't.  I had no idea of any records of either the children or the foster parents I lived with, especially as a naïve child. This is just silliness concocted for television, lazy writing.

But I guess the idea is that if you did have anyone in your past who you knew had a criminal record, it needed to be revealed on the form.  Her mistake was in admitting she knew and didn't disclose.  Forgetting or not knowing would have likely been a valid defense if she was ever questioned.

Edited by TWP
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, rhys said:

Welp, Com West sounds guilty & Bishop is guilty by ommission. Damn. Doesn't look good for the squad.

His overreaction in the first conversation with his son screamed "guilty!"

5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Apparently, if one is looking to be a police officer and is divorced, even the ex-spouse can be interviewed for the background check. So if that is the case, I guess foster family would also qualify. And failing to disclose any known infractions can hurt a prospective recruit.

I was told that in our public safety department it is the lying, not the having known someone who became a criminal, that will hurt a prospect. They do a pretty thorough background check of the prospects in our organization.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

OMG Nolan was annoying me over and over again with his useless comments during the hearing after being told repeatedly by his lawyer to be quiet. Nolan is supposed to be mature enough to know better. It would have worked as a comedic bit, but instead it was just irritating. I guess it was supposed to be funny and the director didn't get the memo.

It reminds me of a complaint I've been having about a lot of shows recently. The writers on shows don't seem willing to just let drama come naturally. They seem to insist on having people do the dumbest things possible that no one would actually do to achieve the drama when they really don't have to. Nolan dealing with his first bogus complaint is dramatic in and of itself, they didn't have to add some nonsense with Nolan being a complete moron for no good reason. 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'm pretty sure the "young" lawyer was Evil Peter Pan in Once Upon A Time, which I think would mean he's not that young.

Yep it was Robbie Kaye.  I was trying to place him

• Useful 2
50 minutes ago, Aliconehead said:
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yep it was Robbie Kaye.  I was trying to place him

Robbie Kay is 23 and does not look a second older than that!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

'm pretty sure the "young" lawyer was Evil Peter Pan in Once Upon A Time, which I think would mean he's not that young.

6 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Robbie Kay is 23 and does not look a second older than that!

Still, that is young for a lawyer. Law school is 3 years (4 if you go at night).

13 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

Still, that is young for a lawyer. Law school is 3 years (4 if you go at night).

Oh, it's definitely young. I was responding to the comment which mentioned that the actor had previously played Peter Pan, so he's a lot older than he looks!

(edited)

Well, "Peter Pan Complex" refers to a man who never grows up....

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • LOL 2

They need to go 9-11.  9-11 has an event and the actors work around it  "The Rookie" has a character - mostly Nolan, get in trouble and work the story around the character   

This was a miss.

12 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

The foster parents perhaps, not every child that was in their care. IMO that would be a flagrant disregard of privacy. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Another 'event' driven episode.  And how many things can happen to Nolan in his rookie year?  I will say I agree that he was a major ass in that room.  Terrible writing for him.  He has been shown to be more intelligent than that.

I think the show is trying to be coy about Daddy West. Right now it could go either way.

I was so confused by Talia and Dylan's actual relationship.  Was Dylan her actual brother that she'd only been around one year in a foster home because they got split up?  Or was he just another kid she met for one year in a foster home and developed a close enough relationship that she calls him brother?  Either way if her career really is threatened by an argument that she should have disclosed her relationship with him then a good lawyer can get that tossed in no time.  If she was still in foster care the last time she was around him that means they were both still minors at the time.  Even if she did keep tabs on him after their separation,  the presumption that she would  actually know about whatever life he led as an adult is a ridiculous one.

I also call bullshit on newly released felon recognizing her especially if she hadn't been in Dylan's life for more than 15 years.  Her looks are not unique enough for her to stand out in a memory for someone on just a cursory meeting or even by a photo.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, TWP said:

Speaking from personal experience (I was a foster child) they couldn't.  I had no idea of any records of either the children or the foster parents I lived with, especially as a naïve child. This is just silliness concocted for television, lazy writing.

But I guess the idea is that if you did have anyone in your past who you knew had a criminal record, it needed to be revealed on the form.  Her mistake was in admitting she knew and didn't disclose.  Forgetting or not knowing would have likely been a valid defense if she was ever questioned.

I think that's the case. Talia knew that her foster brother was a felon when she applied to the Academy because she tried to keep in touch, which is exactly why those forms exist. There's a danger of that relationship being exploited. It would have been nearly impossible to make the connection now, except that she just arrested him.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, ketose said:

Talia knew that her foster brother was a felon when she applied to the Academy because she tried to keep in touch, which is exactly why those forms exist. There's a danger of that relationship being exploited. It would have been nearly impossible to make the connection now, except that she just arrested him.

Also, they kept showing her body cam recording all of the conversations with Dylan, including the recently released excon referring to her as Dylan's sister, her trying to steer Dylan away from trouble, her kidnapping, the shooting(s), and her saying, "Dylan, I love you" when she thought she was dying.

And then, as a result of the arrest of the detective in the opening scene, when Bishop comes to Sergeant Wade Grey to spill the filial beans after Dylan's arrest, he responds with:

• [SIGHS] If this was any other day, I might have the energy to chew you out or figure out how to help. But today today, my hands are tied. So I have to file a memorandum with the Chief, informing him that one of my best officers perjured herself on an official document, likely torpedoing her career.
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I was so confused by Talia and Dylan's actual relationship.  Was Dylan her actual brother that she'd only been around one year in a foster home because they got split up?

That's what I thought.  I also knew that no matter what the outcome of her kidnapping, the whole thing was going to come out because of her bodycam.  

I liked the young lawyer.  I hope we'll see more of him.

• Love 3
(edited)

This was an okay episode but not sure why West thought it would be a good idea to be in the same department with his son. He did sound guilty though, especially when he seemed annoyed off the bat. 

I bet nothing will happen to Talia, that new lawyer will probably come up with something. I do like her though and for some reason I kept thinking that Nolan would show up and shoot the guy. lol 

Nolan needed to shut up for sure but I would think he would be in civilian clothes but then, he can't leave to run after his TO at the end of the episode. 

EDIT: Shouldn't have West figured that someone would get under Jackson's skin and warn him before hand? 

I saw the promo for next week, and there is two more episodes left, when is the season finale? I hope they know for sure and don't do a stupid cliffhanger that won't get tied up. 

Edited by Waterston Fan
1 hour ago, Waterston Fan said:

I saw the promo for next week, and there is two more episodes left, when is the season finale?

Next episode is next week, April 9, and the finale is April 16.

• Useful 1

I know this show is not grounded in reality, but that whole arbitration storyline just pissed me off.  That is not how it would have played out.  Never seen a judge act so silly in 20+ years in legal field. Nolan's lawyer referenced something not being produced in discovery but they hadn't even DONE any [there hadn't been time as far as i can tell].  Nolan got served with a suit and the hearing seemed to be the next day.  There would have been time [heck, the defendant gets at least 20-30 days just to file an answer to the complaint] and discovery and witness prep and Nolan would've met his lawyer way before the actual hearing.  The plaintiff would have medical records and testimony, defense would have their own medical expert, and so on.   I know I shouldn't let it bug me, but it did.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 13

I think the Bishop character is too wooden. She should be on a comedy. But, I suppose that's what this show is. 

That station house is like a theme park. Every day, the cops come to work and are briefed on the (fun) activity of the day. 

• LOL 3

Just an average episode.  I thought the show had some episodes which showed promise a while back but it's sunk back into mediocrity.  Talia's storyline was the only one that held my interest.  We'll see but the problem with these storylines is you don't really expect any serious repercussions in a procedural show.  So she's confessed to the Watch Commander, now what?  I mean, they've already done their shock and awe erm budget cutting by killing the Captain so.... which, as I expected, doesn't seem to have any lasting repercussions on the characters either.  What a waste and what a shame. 

Nolan being sued could have been a more interesting storyline but they played it for laughs and made the judge too unprofessional from the get go.  I did like the young lawyer character as another reminder not to judge anyone's ability by their age.  He's more interesting to me than that defense lawyer getting it on with Lopez.  Yawn. What a pointless, cliche and unprofessional scene.  I wish they'd shown Lopez to be more professional than that and I hope this show isn't turning into a soap.  So far they are not winning me over with any of their romantic storylines.  And yikes, really hope they are not going there with Bradford and Chen. 

I actually thought West showed too little faith in his Dad to easily believe the word of a criminal just like that.  Fair to have doubts but he's already ready not to believe his Dad. 

Nathan/Nolan needs to never tuck in his uniform jacket into his belt if that's what he was doing.  Just No. Why make yourself look bigger than you actually are?  Should have left it out like Bishop.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, madmaverick said:

Nolan being sued could have been a more interesting storyline but they played it for laughs and made the judge too unprofessional from the get go.  I did like the young lawyer character as another reminder not to judge anyone's ability by their age.  He's more interesting to me than that defense lawyer getting it on with Lopez.  Yawn. What a pointless, cliche and unprofessional scene.  I wish they'd shown Lopez to be more professional than that and I hope this show isn't turning into a soap.  So far they are not winning me over with any of their romantic storylines.  And yikes, really hope they are not going there with Bradford and Chen.

I've never been fond of the sex in the store room storylines, but with a fully outfitted cop, it just made me wonder about logistics...how long does it take to remove all that gear and how long does it take to put it back on. Doesn't leave much time for the ... event.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 4/3/2019 at 12:05 AM, break21 said:

ABC needs to stop leading with the Promo's Nolan is going to either be killed or going to jail.  Nathan's not going anywhere.  

Castle liked to do that to him as well...likea guy named Castle on a show called Castle was going anywhere. 

Regarding Bishop and Dylan...he was only a foster brother, and only for a year of their childhoods. Add me to those who are confused on how this affects Bishop's career. Despite how close they may have felt to one another at the time, they are not actually siblings. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Castle liked to do that to him as well...likea guy named Castle on a show called Castle was going anywhere. 

Regarding Bishop and Dylan...he was only a foster brother, and only for a year of their childhoods. Add me to those who are confused on how this affects Bishop's career. Despite how close they may have felt to one another at the time, they are not actually siblings. 

Basically she ls being accused of lying on her application to the LAPD. Even if the background investigator didn't find out about the foster brother years ago she still lied. I don't know if LAPD actually has a will not tolerate a liar code like the US military service academies, but for the purpose of the show they are acting like they do. 

• Love 2
(edited)
8 hours ago, Raja said:

Basically she ls being accused of lying on her application to the LAPD. Even if the background investigator didn't find out about the foster brother years ago she still lied. I don't know if LAPD actually has a will not tolerate a liar code like the US military service academies, but for the purpose of the show they are acting like they do. 

The only way I can (in the real world) that she'd get away with it is that the specific wording of the question gives her an out (if it defines family in a specific way, or is general about known associates she's had contact with within a specific period of time.

People in my municipal organization (which includes Public Safety) have been fired for this very thing - lying, and not about criminal contacts, but often about what would seem fairly minor lies.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

Yeah, see this is where I think the writing on this is so super murky.

IIRC, according to the conversation they had, they knew each other for one year while minors in a foster home.  From what Dylan said, the last they saw of each other was 15 years ago when Talia left that home.

Leaving aside Bishop keeping tabs on him, how does that meet the requirement for having a relationship with a criminal?  If Bishop hadn't kept tabs on him, then the only relationship they had was presumably that of two kids who were placed together in a foster home for the period of one year.  What is her responsibility for disclosing her contact with every foster child she had contact with as a minor?  And if she had not kept tabs on him, should she have assumed he would become a criminal and included him on her application?

Even if we do include the fact that Bishop kept tabs on him, it was still heavily implied they had no contact with each other after their separation from the home.  As far as he was concerned, she disappeared out of his life.  Did she have a reasonable expectation he would reappear in her life claiming some relationship before she applied?  Does a one year cohabitation by the state as a minor with someone who is not related to you meet the threshold of what is required for disclosure in this case?

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

Yeah, see this is where I think the writing on this is so super murky.

IIRC, according to the conversation they had, they knew each other for one year while minors in a foster home.  From what Dylan said, the last they saw of each other was 15 years ago when Talia left that home.

Leaving aside Bishop keeping tabs on him, how does that meet the requirement for having a relationship with a criminal?  If Bishop hadn't kept tabs on him, then the only relationship they had was presumably that of two kids who were placed together in a foster home for the period of one year.  What is her responsibility for disclosing her contact with every foster child she had contact with as a minor?  And if she had not kept tabs on him, should she have assumed he would become a criminal and included him on her application?

Even if we do include the fact that Bishop kept tabs on him, it was still heavily implied they had no contact with each other after their separation from the home.  As far as he was concerned, she disappeared out of his life.  Did she have a reasonable expectation he would reappear in her life claiming some relationship before she applied?  Does a one year cohabitation by the state as a minor with someone who is not related to you meet the threshold of what is required for disclosure in this case?

Well with the dirty detective starting the LAPD witch hunt and the foster brother causing sub par performance from Officer Bishop in this episode the next will take some time to ask the question did someone she loved, even if contact was lost, meets the threshold of should have been mentioned during her application process.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Raja said:

Well with the dirty detective starting the LAPD witch hunt and the foster brother causing sub par performance from Officer Bishop in this episode the next will take some time to ask the question did someone she loved, even if contact was lost, meets the threshold of should have been mentioned during her application process.

I could be wrong, but I think they will drag this out with the outcome being that she will be bumped to the bottom of the hill regarding her climb to detective.

• Love 1