Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: The Therapist

• Start Topic

I sure hope Capt. Holt doesn't find out that Jake conducted an illegal search of the therapist's office. The look of disappointment on his face (as opposed to the look of joy he would give Jake for proper police work) would be devastating.* I did enjoy Boyle and Jake working the case together. Even though Jake id'd the therapist as the perp, it was Charles who saved the day. 

Rosa and Holt are always good together. Holt realizing that he had been judgmental just seven seconds before was awesome.

I'm glad that the Amy-Terry story was the C story. I love both characters, but this was just filler. I'd rather have seen more Rosa-Holt.

I'm sure some nice person will put up side-by-side screen caps.

• Love 8
19 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

I sure hope Capt. Holt doesn't find out that Jake conducted an illegal search of the therapist's office. The look of disappointment on his face (as opposed to the look of joy he would give Jake for proper police work) would be devastating.* I did enjoy Boyle and Jake working the case together. Even though Jake id'd the therapist as the perp, it was Charles who saved the day. 

Agreed. That also felt much more like season 1 Jake, though I’m pretty sure even season 1 Jake knew that anything obtained without a warrant would be inadmissible in court. Hated the Dissociative Identity Disorder bit. Loved everything with Rosa and Holt. And Cameron Esposito was a great casting choice. 

ALSO: Don’t tease a Kevin appearance and then not give us a Kevin appearance! 

Edited by Mockingbird
  • Love 12

At least Holt gets to have a conversation with Kevin (about rice!), even though he we don't see or hear him.  I do hope we get him sometime this season.  Television needs more Marc Evan Jackson!  The Holt/Rosa stuff was great as always and Cameron Esposito is a good choice to play Rosa's girlfriend.

Jake breaking into the therapist's office illegally aside, I liked seeing Jake and Boyle working another case together, and despite all of the humorous moments, I do like them acknowledging that someone like Jake could probably use some form of therapy considering everything that has happened to him.  Looking past all of the hilarity, he really has been through a lot, including his childhood.

I kept trying to place the actress who played the therapist Jake pretending to be a patient for, and I find out that she plays Tahani's mom on The Good Place.  I do love how actors pop back and forth on both shows!

Even by normal C-plot standards, Terry/Amy's storyline felt extra fillerish, and didn't even seem to have a proper ending.

• Love 7

This was a pretty solid episode. Jake breaking into the therapist's office aside (why are they regressing Jake so much by doing illegal and shady stuff the last couple of episodes?), I thought his plot was fairly decent with Boyle. It got back to more of Jake in the forefront, and he started to deal with his family issues, which was nicely done. I'm glad that he was actually partially right about the therapist WHILE also being proven wrong about therapists in general. It was a nice way to balance out Jake's intelligence and excellent as a cop while also proving Jake wrong about his issues about therapy. 

Plus, I got a chuckle out of Jake accidentally texting Amy a whole bunch of gibberish, which she passed along to Boyle, who came to help Jake. Jake in that other therapists office was a hit or miss, for sure, but not as bad as it could have gone.

The Terry/Amy stuff WAS filler and I did expect a little more. It was basically just Terry being insistent that it wasn't his book and Amy telling him it was ok if it was. I will say, Scully got a little deep in the bathroom scene with Terry with his "I don't care what people think of me", which was a surprisingly insightful thing to help Terry out (though nothing really came of it and that plot kind of ended abruptly).

The Holt/Rosa stuff was absolute gold. I laughed at the actress that Rosa hired, and the real Jocelyn was absolutely great. I can see why Rosa is into her. 

• Love 10
10 hours ago, Mystery said:

Jake made the valid point that people with mental illness are much more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators of it, but he added that he only knew that because he was in the room when Amy was listening to NPR. That's how you add information in an organic way. 

I agree. This and the "Told you I could text without looking at my phone" bit were my favourite moments in the episode. The C-plot of Terry endlessly protesting too much got old pretty fast.

Kevin's just going to be steaming four portions of unadorned plain white rice, isn't he? 

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 6

I for one found all of Jake's "multiple personalities" hilarious. His horrible British accent was hysterical. I went back and forth on whether or not he would be right about the therapist. He usually is right when it comes to his wild hunches, but his aversion to therapy tipped the scales back toward just being biased against them. But as soon as he got in the car I knew the therapist would spring up in the back seat. The camera work for that was a dead giveaway. 

Fake Jocelyn was pretty funny too. "Do you want to buy some Molly?" "I'm a cop." "Aaaaaaaaand scene."

• Love 13

I could watch a whole subplot of Kevin and Holt talking about rice cooking over the phone. 

Solid episode, even though I dont get why they keep having Jake break into offices and do stuff that season one Jake would do, not season six Jake. I did like that Jake finally admitted that, yeah, he should probably talk to someone and that his issues with therapy are because of his sad childhood. Jake really has gone through a lot lately, let alone with his childhood, and him talking to someone would be a good thing. 

The line about how mentally ill people are more likely to be victims of a crime than perpetrators, and he knows that because he heard Amy listening to NPR, was a great way to get information across that people should known while also being funny and in character. Classic 99!

Jocelyn seems awesome, I can see why Rosa likes her. I hope we get to see fake Jocelyn again sometime as well. "I said We Want Answers!" 

BABUSHKA!!! 

• LOL 2
  • Love 13
20 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I sure hope Capt. Holt doesn't find out that Jake conducted an illegal search of the therapist's office. The look of disappointment on his face (as opposed to the look of joy he would give Jake for proper police work) would be devastating.

20 hours ago, Mockingbird said:

Agreed. That also felt much more like season 1 Jake, though I’m pretty sure even season 1 Jake knew that anything obtained without a warrant would be inadmissible in court.

If the therapist doesn't take a plea, it's going to be pretty embarrassing for Jake and the Police Department when it comes out that he broke into the office and stole the records.

What right did the therapist have to break confidentiality and make the so-called therapy journal available anyway?  Wouldn't the next of kin have to obtain permission, or the police get a warrant for the records?  Why did the therapist start the whole investigation in the whole place?

Shouldn't Boyle be upset at Jake for going behind his back, and promising not to, even though Jake was right?  How can he trust him?

Amy seemed out of character.  Instead of embarrassing Terry, she should have said she mistakenly received a box with a bunch pf protein powder, and figured it was his.  If she didn't mention the book, Terry could have pretended that she didn't see it, and his dignity would have been preserved.  Also, wouldn't there have been an addressee on the box? When Terry ordered the stuff, did he really have it sent to "Brooklyn 99 Sergeant"?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

What right did the therapist have to break confidentiality and make the so-called therapy journal available anyway?  Wouldn't the next of kin have to obtain permission, or the police get a warrant for the records?  Why did the therapist start the whole investigation in the whole place?

In many states, therapists and psychiatrists have a legal obligation to break privilege if they believe their patient is an imminent danger to cause harm to themselves or others. So, if his patient had actually told the therapist he was going to kill or harm his wife and the therapist reasonably believed he might do so, the therapist should call the police.

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 minutes ago, Loandbehold said:

In many states, therapists and psychiatrists have a legal obligation to break privilege if they believe their patient is an imminent danger to cause harm to themselves or others. So, if his patient had actually told the therapist he was going to kill or harm his wife and the therapist reasonably believed he might do so, the therapist should call the police.

You're right, I forgot that the fake journal said that.  I still think it would have been better for the therapist to leave the whole thing alone.  Jake should have asked him where all 4 bodies were.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

I forgot that the fake journal said that.  I still think it would have been better for the therapist to leave the whole thing alone.  Jake should have asked him where all 4 bodies were.

I agree. The therapist was too clever for his own good. Unless someone knew he'd been shtupping the patient's wife there'd be no reason to suspect him of the disappearance of either body. Although there's also the problem that his DNA was where at least the wife's body was buried in the park. 

18 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

I sure hope Capt. Holt doesn't find out that Jake conducted an illegal search of the therapist's office. The look of disappointment on his face (as opposed to the look of joy he would give Jake for proper police work) would be devastating.

That really bugged me: Fruit of the Poisonous Tree and all. The journal would be inadmissible as evidence along with anything it pointed to. Rookie screw up, ya dumb ass. Luckily Charles was on the ball.

My favorite part of this episode was Rosa and Holt.

• Love 4

I’ll handwaive the B&E because the therapist still held Jake at gunpoint and confessed to the whole thing, plus DNA evidence. They’d still have enough to convict, so the journal is a moo point*

Plus I don’t care that much to let it bother me.

*TM Joey Tribiani. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

I was surprised that when Boyle was the lead on the case, he actually lead and didn't let Jake push him around like he usually does.

The first time we saw this was early in season 1. It's when we learned that Charles is actually a good detective. Another of the things I've appreciated about this show. 

• Love 6

I loved the Cold Open. Everyone (aside from Terry) using only B-words.

Jake: Bottles. Boyle. Bullpen.
Terry: What are you---
Jake: Buh-buh-buh-buh. Bottles. Boyle. Bullpen. Bowling.
Jake: Behold, Brooklyn buddies. Boyle Bullpen Bottle Bowling.
Boyle: Beautiful.
Jake: Be brave, bro. Be brave. BOWL!
Rosa: Bam!
Boyle: Bullseye!
Jake: Boo-yah!
Russian grandmother: BABUSHKAAAAAAAA!
Everyone: BABUSHKAAAAAAAA!

Jake and Charles working together was fun. Everyone on the show is good, but lately I've really been noticing what an excellent comedic actor Andy is. There were lots of funny bits in this storyline. Loved the therapist working with Charles on his tendency to say things with sexual overtones. That trait is always good for a laugh. And it's always good seeing Jake and Charles work together.

Jake: I know this is the wrong takeaway from this case board, but I really love the new yarn you're using.
Charles: There's sparkles in it!
Jake: I noticed!

Jake: First of all, people with mental illness are much more likely to be the victims than the perpetrators. I heard that on NPR when I was in the room while Amy was listening to NPR.

I liked Jake doing the various accents with the other therapist.

Holt and Rosa together were fantastic. 

Holt: Kevin will be making his famous… rice.

Holt: So boys, tell me, what are you doing this weekend?
Hitchcock: Well, we're going to a sauce-launch party at Wing Slut.
Holt: Sounds like a… neat cultural event.
Hitchcock: They're introducing a new dairy-based sauce called Cream Dream.
Holt: [hesitation] Mmmmmm.

I swear I had to pause the TV because I was laughing so much at Andre's face.

As others said, the Terry/Amy plot was filler, and not very filling.

32 minutes ago, Trillium said:

They’d still have enough to convict, so the journal is a moo point*

*TM Joey Tribiani. 

Eh. Instead of Joey Tribiani, my mind immediately went to Devin Nunes' Cow.

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Trillium said:

I’ll handwaive the B&E because the therapist still held Jake at gunpoint and confessed to the whole thing, plus DNA evidence. They’d still have enough to convict, so the journal is a moo point*

Plus I don’t care that much to let it bother me.

*TM Joey Tribiani. 

You're right, but unless his DNA was already in the system,  it would have come back as an unknown assailant.  And why would Charles think it ok that the therapist's DNA be on the body? Did Charles and Jake let him touch her?

22 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Loved the therapist working with Charles on his tendency to say things with sexual overtones. That trait is always good for a laugh.

Charles's "Get your mind out of the gutter, ya perv" response to Jake's "overreaction" was hilarious.

• Love 3

Loved the episode.  David Paymer was great as the therapist, especially after the reveal.

Jake's fake British accents were hilarious.

On 3/22/2019 at 8:10 AM, iMonrey said:

Fake Jocelyn was pretty funny too. "Do you want to buy some Molly?" "I'm a cop." "Aaaaaaaaand scene."

Yes! I love when characters are funny even if they appear in one scene.

• Love 3
On 3/21/2019 at 10:31 PM, Mockingbird said:

ALSO: Don’t tease a Kevin appearance and then not give us a Kevin appearance! 

I didn't mind it, mostly because the way the one sided  conversation went down was classic Holt.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:45 PM, Trillium said:

I’ll handwaive the B&E because the therapist still held Jake at gunpoint and confessed to the whole thing, plus DNA evidence. They’d still have enough to convict, so the journal is a moo

Yea the therapist kidnapped a cop and then confessed to murder during that kidnapping. Not sure they even need the journal at that point

Also kind of impressed that they were able to get in the line about how teenage Jake only watched the Cinemax movie for 10 minutes.

On 3/22/2019 at 1:06 PM, tennisgurl said:

I could watch a whole subplot of Kevin and Holt talking about rice cooking over the phone. 

That sounds like more fun than a trip to the barrel museum.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
On 3/22/2019 at 6:59 AM, Sandman said:

Kevin's just going to be steaming four portions of unadorned plain white rice, isn't he?

Is there any other kind?

On 3/22/2019 at 10:00 AM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Nah, he'll just microwave them:

Infidel!!!

On 3/22/2019 at 3:31 PM, peeayebee said:

Russian grandmother: BABUSHKAAAAAAAA!

Everyone: BABUSHKAAAAAAAA!

It was the pause in between that made it work.

• LOL 3
(edited)
On 4/3/2019 at 2:41 AM, jhlipton said:

Is there any other kind?

For Raymond J. Holt, or for other people?

On 4/3/2019 at 2:41 AM, jhlipton said:

It was the pause in between that made it work.

And the enthusiasm of the granny in question; that was pretty charming.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1