Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Divided We Move

• Start Topic

I have to wonder if Kody had some cockamamie idea that by having the CCR restrictions removed, the plan of subdivision would be magically removed and he could combine the individual lots into a mini ranch.  This would explain his concept of building one house.  I think the building lots total approximately 10 acres and in some communities, that is sufficient for a few head of cattle, horses, goats or poultry.

If this is his intention and he has dreamed of leaving Las Vegas all this time, why didn't he buy his father's ranch in Wyoming when Winn passed.  Wyoming seems to be plyg friendly and although the existing house was humble by their standards, that could have been renovated or rebuilt and I think the property there was around 100 acres.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
24 minutes ago, Sandy W said:

If this is his intention and he has dreamed of leaving Las Vegas all this time,

I think this "dream" just occurred when they ran out of ideas to keep the show going.  The Faux Flight from Persecution bought them another season so let's just try that again but with a different twist.  These morons don't think more than five minutes in the future.

• Love 9
On 3/11/2019 at 4:35 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I must say that I am curious as to whether that whole thing about being of Scottish heritage is a real thing for Mitch or was this a theme created by TLC to add some interest/fun/entertainment value to the show.  I mean, does he have family members in Scotland?  Was he raised with Scottish traditions?  Or did he do an DNA kit, get the results and suddenly grow a love for anything Scottish.  lol  

Welllll... if it's not scottish....ITS CRAP!!!

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, toodles said:

Former construction banker here.  The lender usually requires the lot to be paid in full for custom construction.  Additionally, a cash deposit could be required to meet the equity requirement.

When the brownies bought their Vegas home, they bought houses in a planned subdivision so the land was included in the purchase price.

I making an educated guess here, but I think the lender will require the Flag land to be paid off prior to the construction loan.  Land loans are risky as are custom construction loans.  

Angels can sing all they want, but banks don't care.  I don't see the brownies building on the Flag land anytime soon.  Time is money in the banking world.  At the very least I believe a lender will require the lots to be fully developed prior to the construction loan.  I'm only guessing here, but  I suspect they went hard money on the land loan.  Hard money means a  lender that will accept a higher risk in exchange for a much higher interest rate.  

The utilities are a really big ticket item.  Instead of wringing their hands over CC&R 's, they should have priced out bringing utilities to the properties before signing any paperwork.  I was shaking my head over this one.  The seller was probably laughing all the way to the bank,  pun intended.

Thus endth the lesson.

I agree, and speculate that the lender is the seller. When the Browns received the counter-offer, Kody said something like "Ok we'll pay that price, but we're only going to put 10% down" to Shelbi, like that was part of the deal. Why else would the seller care how much they were putting down? Generally, how the buyer is financing the purchase isn't the concern of the seller, unless part of the deal is the seller will finance. Which makes sense given the Brown's seemingly very stretched financial situation.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
On 3/12/2019 at 7:12 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Why, why, why did Kootie make all those sexual-sounding innuendos about his sure-to-be disappointing "package" with his own daughter?  To be filmed, yet?  What a freaking asshole.

To show off in front of his new future son-in-law. He’s weirdly obsessed with loooking manly in front of other ‘bros’ (his sons don’t count). Next he’ll ask him to wrestle In Christine’s garage. It’s creepy and off-putting. 

Edited by VedaPierce
  • Love 14

Meris rental in Flagstaff

image.png.da6c67cbb8e74e37c87c7397501690f5.png

From the rental site:

$3,000/mo rental

No longer available. This pad was taken off the market on 10/20/16.

4 beds 3.5 baths 4,250 sqft

WOW...sums up this BEAUTY....views abound from every window...water feature in main living area, dual fireplaces, 3 levels but this home has an ELEVATOR...3 car garage, some pets ok, no students..To qualify rent has to be 30% or less of gross income

Estimated monthly utilities cost: $252

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1
Just now, lindalouwho said:

From the rental site:

$3,000/mo rental

WOW...sums up this BEAUTY....views abound from every window...water feature in main living area, dual fireplaces, 3 levels but this home has an ELEVATOR...3 car garage, some pets ok, no students..To qualify rent has to be 30% or less of gross income

That is definitely the house Meri is living in.  The pictures she posted of her racks of LuLuRoe clothes show the windows and carpet in that house.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t think there’s anything done in a traditional way, concerning loans with this family.

I agree.  So far, they've been masters at doing things ass-backwards and I feel sure their credit rating sucks.  Lenders probably love sticking it to them as far as exorbitant interest rates and digging a deepening hole, that they'll never crawl out of.  Brown Clown financial ruin...how do they sleep at night, living that way?  I sure couldn't do it, my lowly monogamist head would explode.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, Saje81 said:

I agree, and speculate that the lender is the seller. When the Browns received the counter-offer, Kody said something like "Ok we'll pay that price, but we're only going to put 10% down" to Shelbi, like that was part of the deal. Why else would the seller care how much they were putting down? Generally, how the buyer is financing the purchase isn't the concern of the seller, unless part of the deal is the seller will finance. Which makes sense given the Brown's seemingly very stretched financial situation.

When we bought our land (only one acre, lol) years ago, it was the landowner who was our lender. He owned the surrounding lots, which were yet unsold and he wanted to encourage development. People are more likely to buy land when they see what the other homes in the neighborhood are going to look like. Ours was the only lot he financed, as far as I know.

We converted to a construction loan after we paid the lot off (it was a short-term loan). 

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, lindalouwho said:

From the rental site:

$3,000/mo rental

Just wow.  Why does she need this big of a house.  Oh, that's right.  The imaginary eight kids.

3 grand a month plus, right down the shitter.  Oy.

• Love 17
13 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

I wonder what the other rentals look like--oh, and didn't Christine buy a house instead of renting? I don't blame Meri for wanting to be on par with what the other wives have, or is it because she ONLY had 1 child who's now living in Chicago or that she's the hated wife--that she should be relegated to a one-bedroom shack while the other wives live in luxury?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Saje81 said:

I was going to say the same thing, but I forgot.  Lol.  I agree with you.

3 hours ago, Sandy W said:

I have to wonder if Kody had some cockamamie idea that by having the CCR restrictions removed, the plan of subdivision would be magically removed and he could combine the individual lots into a mini ranch.  This would explain his concept of building one house.  I think the building lots total approximately 10 acres and in some communities, that is sufficient for a few head of cattle, horses, goats or poultry.

If this is his intention and he has dreamed of leaving Las Vegas all this time, why didn't he buy his father's ranch in Wyoming when Winn passed.  Wyoming seems to be plyg friendly and although the existing house was humble by their standards, that could have been renovated or rebuilt and I think the property there was around 100 acres.

I think Kody fancies himself as some sort of Jock Ewing with a sprawling South Fork ranch and all the families living in a huge house.  Just like the original Dallas only without oil money and as poor as church mice.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kimaken said:

I wonder what the other rentals look like--oh, and didn't Christine buy a house instead of renting? I don't blame Meri for wanting to be on par with what the other wives have, or is it because she ONLY had 1 child who's now living in Chicago or that she's the hated wife--that she should be relegated to a one-bedroom shack while the other wives live in luxury?

Ok, maybe it's just me... but even if my sister wives were housed in houses like this... if all of my kids were grown and out of the house the intelligent and common sense side of me would want a smaller house.  Easier to keep clean, the silence doesn't echo all over the empty (of laughter and children and noise and bustle of the living) rooms and I am always mindful of the family finances.  It seems wasteful to me that Meri needs a house this big and expensive - but I guess she can afford both this mortgage and the B&B with the massive fortune she makes every month from Lularoe.

• LOL 1
  • Love 20
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

30%, or less of gross income at $3,000 a month.  So Meri makes at least $10,000 a month, gross? Or is my math awful?

That's what I calculated too, but bear in mind it's gross income.  She has to buy those gross clothes out of that, so if she's earning $10,000 gross, she would be netting somewhere around $5000.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, Kyanight said:

It seems wasteful to me that Meri needs a house this big and expensive - but I guess she can afford both this mortgage and the B&B with the massive fortune she makes every month from Lularoe.

Oh I agree that the size of the house is really much too big for a one-person household, but I can see how Meri might feel that as one of the wives, she should have a similar sized house as the other wives get, especially if they split the TLC income among the 5 spouses. I read somewhere recently that if Meri left, TLC would have cancelled the show because the premise was Kody Brown and his 3 wives/families and then expanded to bring in the 4th wife, etc, and TLC wanted all the wives there.

I also wonder if TLC pays the rent, or if Meri pays part, or possibly all, of her rent? Or does the money she makes selling clothes and the income from the B&B get added to the "family budget"?

Another thing, I read Meri is a "lularoe spokesperson" and gets invited to conventions all over the country--I wonder if she pays expenses herself or if the company (lularoe) pays for her, AND, does she get an additional income from the company for being a "celebrity" spokesperson? Since I don't buy these clothes and have no interest in that line of clothing, I don't follow her on Facebook or Twitter.

Edited by kimaken
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Meri's rental looks stunning from the outside, but FFS - why does she need that big of a place ? Does she really think she is a celebrity ?  That one model home Cody & Christine looked at, single story was beautiful, what would have been wrong with that size home ?  Meri aint leaving when she is getting everything she wants, once the gravy train pulls out of the Flagstaff station, she will be out as well

• Love 17
On 3/11/2019 at 1:10 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

It could be done, but, they'd have to compromise on private bedrooms.....the kids, not the wives. lol 

So, I think they could manage with 8 bedrooms. A bedroom for each wife (4) and 1 bedroom for the older sons, 1 bedroom for the older daughters and one bedroom for the younger kids. (Truly, Solomon and Ariealla.) And 1 bedroom for the family member who lives with them, I think is Robyn's cousin/niece, who helps with childcare, but, she could sleep on the couch. 

Lol. Isn’t Robyn currently in a seven bedroom home with just her kids?  

She’s come far from the unheated trailer. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 9

Someone with legal/borrowing experience should google Coconino County Recorder Search and explain to me which deeds are the mortgage against the land.  Curious how much they have borrowed for the land but can't make heads or tails of it.  I know how much they bought the 4 plots for just can't tell if there are mortgages taken out to pay for them......

• Love 1

Who cleans that bigass house?   I am assuming Meri pays for a cleaning service.  That is just absurd to throw that much money away on a rental.   Another example of their lack of financial planning.   They are assuming the gravy train isn’t gonna end at some point.   I’d be saving every penny I could for when TLC $$ goes away. 

• Love 12

Meri shouldn't be in a larger house than Janelle, IMO.  At the most she should be in something comparable to Janelle's three bedroom.  However, if they aren't doing much of anything as a family, perhaps Meri is financing her rent out of her outside income.  It still looks like very poor planning on her part to me.

• Love 12
On 3/11/2019 at 8:33 PM, Kyanight said:

How far is it from the nearest utility line?  If it's going to cost $500,387.37 to run utilities the family may NEVER build their house/houses.

I wonder if the utilities will end up costing more than leveling the ground at Cottonwood.  These people used to drive in snow and yet they act terrified of it now.  They have a million cars aren’t any of them useful in heavy snow? I lived in Northern Illinois driving a car with rear wheel drive.  I’m sure they can handle it. 

• Love 5
On 3/11/2019 at 9:33 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Kootie took a page right out of Big Love here.  The three wives in that show shared a backyard, and more than once got in each others' business.  The running for office in Utah?  Same thingk.  He only listens to Robyn.  The others can just "suck it up."  He'll be lucky if he doesn't end up on a Snapped episode.

I’ve said it before, but Kody obviously stopped watching before the final episode. 

• LOL 11
On 3/12/2019 at 10:13 AM, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Even if the move is for the tv show, the execution of it is not. They really are this stupid. They could have all moved into two houses in Las Vegas while selling the other two, and that would have made for good tv. They could have had one last fun night in Vegas.

In Flagstaff, they could have shown picking out the rentals instead of the land. They could have switched up the pairings from Vegas and then have a different pairing of wives live together in rentals. What we want to see is how plural marriage works - or doesn’t! - on a daily basis. The Browns are on their own by themselves getting financially overextended. 

Even though they move every 5-7 years, they’re terrible at it.  Remember when they finally packed it up and left Utah, two cars broke down practically at the city limits?  

• LOL 6

Sorry, I'm sticking with my story that they ALL live too high on the hog.  I mean, good grief.  Meri could easily have rented an apartment or condo that would require less $ and way less upkeep.  She travels all the time selling her shitty clothes, anyway.  Robyn could do with a 3 or 4 bedroom house.  She and Kootie, 1 bedroom.  The girls in another, and since Day-un is in college and probably even a dorm? there, King Sol could have his own castle/room, and share when big bro is home.  Christine actually is making house payments (I think; didn't they buy what she's living in?) so even she's making more sense than these renters, just throwing money away when they could save some toward their DREAM HOMES on the dirt they bought.  Janelle?  Well, she could do with an apartment or condo, too.  Most of her kids are up & out.  Of course, dear nature girl J would be happy in a hut with dirt floors, eh?  😄

Yes, Meri is way too extravagant, but she isn't the only one.  And I do give her credit for making money on her own, although why she has any buyers with her snottiness is beyond me.

• Love 9
On 3/12/2019 at 11:55 AM, Pingaponga said:

Actually,what he said was that he would be a good father for his "grandsons...and granddaughters". There was a brief pause after grandsons. Way to make it clear to everyone yet again whom you prioritize, Kody.

I still don't understand buying the land before they have even sold the LV houses. Or even found places to rent in Flagstaff!  Meri actually made sense when she suggested they rent and wait to find property that everyone loves. 

And quite frankly, if a realtor told me my little kids shouldn't play in the dirt because the prairie dogs carry plague, I would NOT be buying that piece of land. Little kids play in the dirt. It's what they do. Or do the prairie dogs disappear when you develop the land? I live in a major urban city. We don't have prairie dogs, but we do have squirrels, raccoons, skunks, sometimes rabbits, voles, groundhogs.

The more I see Kody with his boys, the more I'm convinced he only favored them because they were in sports.  King Sol has clearly been dethroned by Ariella Mae.   Little precious is hand fed by Kody.  What a way to ensure Kody's involvement - you're the only one who can get her to eat.

Poor Truely has never had a relationship with Kody, and you can see it in their awkward encounters.  Kody lost track of her due to his infatuation with Robyn.  Canoodling with Robyn while Christine was in labor.  Even if Kody did seek to give Truely attention, I'm sure she'd be knocked over by Aurora and her aggressive affection.

On 3/12/2019 at 1:49 PM, xwordfanatik said:

Prairie dogs are kind of cute.  Meerkats are adorable.  I loved that show!  Moving to the Serengeti would be a little impractical, though!  As someone posted upthread, I'd be more worried about hantavirus, but thinking about the plague is scary enough to make me say no to that property.

Just snarking.  I'm sure FT isn't qualified to advise anyone about anything financial.  I'd sure ignore anything he said!

I still haven't recovered from Flower's death.  I was horrified they showed it.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

Meri shouldn't be in a larger house than Janelle, IMO.  At the most she should be in something comparable to Janelle's three bedroom.  However, if they aren't doing much of anything as a family, perhaps Meri is financing her rent out of her outside income.  It still looks like very poor planning on her part to me.

If I were Meri and got the same housing budget as the rest of the wives, I’d rent a smaller place and pocket the rest.

• Love 16
4 hours ago, lindalouwho said:

From the rental site:

$3,000/mo rental

Wow, Prairie Dog Flats is going to be a horrible comedown. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 7

Isn't polygamy fun?  🤣  Doesn't this vision of bliss just make you wanna go sister wife shopping?  SOOOOO intriguing.  Not. 

I keep thinking they should live in a hotel.  Each wife gets her own floor to live on.  They could draw lots as to who gets the penthouse.  Kody needs to put his foot down and lead these women where he wants them to go.  He's da sister wives' boss man, don'tcha know?

These people are so frighteningly stupid it's enough to keep a person awake at night, just knowing they're out there and breeding.  BUT, I just say my prayers of thankfulness and sleep well anyway. 

I love this board.  You peeps are the best.  You are geniuses.  SO FUNNY!  Y'all make my day!  🤗

So I'ma just gonna keep watching and reading and snarking.  😄   

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
29 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

The more I see Kody with his boys, the more I'm convinced he only favored them because they were in sports.  King Sol has clearly been dethroned by Ariella Mae.   Little precious is hand fed by Kody.  What a way to ensure Kody's involvement - you're the only one who can get her to eat.

Poor Truely has never had a relationship with Kody, and you can see it in their awkward encounters.  Kody lost track of her due to his infatuation with Robyn.  Canoodling with Robyn while Christine was in labor.  Even if Kody did seek to give Truely attention, I'm sure she'd be knocked over by Aurora and her aggressive affection.

I still haven't recovered from Flower's death.  I was horrified they showed it.

I hear you!!!!   I still think about those little meerkats.  I missed sweet Shakespear, too.  😧

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Claire Voyant said:

Isn't polygamy fun?  🤣  Doesn't this vision of bliss just make you wanna go sister wife shopping?  SOOOOO intriguing.  Not. 

I keep thinking they should live in a hotel.  Each wife gets her own floor to live on.  They could draw lots as to who gets the penthouse.  Kody needs to put his foot down and lead these women where he wants them to go.  He's da sister wives' boss man, don'tcha know?

These people are so frighteningly stupid it's enough to keep a person awake at night, just knowing they're out there and breeding.  BUT, I just say my prayers of thankfulness and sleep well anyway. 

I love this board.  You peeps are the best.  You are geniuses.  SO FUNNY!  Y'all make my day!  🤗

So I'ma just gonna keep watching and reading and snarking.  😄   

::::drooooool:::::  yessum, bees thanksfuls dat yer smarter dan us stoopid idjets!  :::grins:::

I'll be snarking here with you, though.   :::picks between the two teeth she has left in her mouth:::

• LOL 4
1 hour ago, smarty2020 said:

Someone with legal/borrowing experience should google Coconino County Recorder Search and explain to me which deeds are the mortgage against the land.  Curious how much they have borrowed for the land but can't make heads or tails of it.  I know how much they bought the 4 plots for just can't tell if there are mortgages taken out to pay for them......

Is AZ a mortgage or Deed of Trust state?  The General Warranty Deeds generally won't list the price of the property.  But, the Deed of Trust for the same tract, should have where a third party holds title until the loan is paid and that document should provide the amount of the loan.  I'm not sure how it works in a Mortgage state. 

1 minute ago, Kyanight said:

::::drooooool:::::  yessum, bees thanksfuls dat yer smarter dan us stoopid idjets!  :::grins:::

I'll be snarking here with you, though.   :::picks between the two teeth she has left in her mouth:::

Yas'm, it do make me feel better 'bout my own ability to dummy down on a variety of occasions.   😄  :::hands KYANIGHT a flossing pick::: Here, try this.  Mint flavored.   

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Putting this here, because this is where I was when I read this ! 

Explain to me again why they couldn't move back to Utah? When the NY Times is publishing articles about contemporary homes built for polygamists in Utah, and the polygamists don't feel the need to hide their names, I think we can assume Kody would be safe from prosecution.

Does Utah not have good schools that Dayton could attend? Would Utah be even more expensive than Flagstaff?

• Love 1
On 3/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, Irate Panda said:

No offense but if he didn't like chubby women how did he end up with Janelle? Even when she was younger I don't recall her being thin.  Btw I probably i eat Nachos like Christine.  The only way I see being repulsed if you sill if it were the first or second date and you thought she had bad decorum but the place probably wasn't too classy if they're serving nachos.

I think Janelle looks thin in their wedding pics. Christine was the only over weight wife when he married her, and his other two wives were still thin at that time.  Christine has also said she’s currently the thinnest she’s ever been. 

I think Christine is beautiful, but she’s grown into that beauty. Young Christine - not so much.  But he should have kept those thoughts to himself. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Rabbit Hutch said:

Wow, that is my dream home.  So pretty.

I like that rental home too. I can’t imagine that whatever they build at PDF will equal it, but perhaps I am wrong. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

Putting this here, because this is where I was when I read this !

http://mobile.nytimes.com/1997/12/11/garden/a-house-10-wives-polygamy-in-suburbia.html

Interesting, at the time Brady Williams "only" had three wives.  But before their show, he "felt called" to take two more wives?  If three are "celestial" enough to get a man's own planet, it seems odd that he would take two more.  Or Kootie, taking on #4 Robyn.  If we've heard their version of the truth, Meri can take the blame for bringing in her eventual usurper.  Karma?  You make the call.

• Love 3

I can see why they all dislike each other.  I dislike them all, too.  We have that in common.  Seeing that house of Meri's makes me dislike them even more.  I know it's not my business but that is ridiculous for one person.  Ridiculous.  Maybe they don't know that there are some very nice small and average size houses out there that are affordable.  They treat Meri like crap, and Meri unnecessarily blows family money on something that's 5X what she needs.  Let the wives with kids have the bigger houses, you can have a regular size house, that's every bit as nice and updated.

Edited by eskimo
Cleaned it up a bit
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t recall which episode it was in. Janelle said something like, “you’re not depressed about it” to Gabe. He said, something along the lines of, “ that’s what you think”. Then Janelle went on to the outdoor perks of moving. 🤷🏼‍♀️👀 Feel the love?

I’ve totally been on Gabriel’s side all along, but I was a little irritated when he admitted he didn’t give a shit that his little sister is unable to play outside due to the heat. Poor little Savanah is slowly morphing into Janelle and Gabe doesn’t care because while she’s shut up in the house, he’s out with friends!  He’s on the varsity team!

7 hours ago, Sandy W said:

One of the wives - Robyn? - made a comment about how they should get the land because Kody always wanted to be a rancher again. So maybe he has considered it?  

17 minutes ago, Pingaponga said:

Explain to me again why they couldn't move back to Utah? When the NY Times is publishing articles about contemporary homes built for polygamists in Utah, and the polygamists don't feel the need to hide their names, I think we can assume Kody would be safe from prosecution.

Does Utah not have good schools that Dayton could attend? Would Utah be even more expensive than Flagstaff?

I wonder if they’re still holding onto that plyg house in Utah.  Didn’t they consider putting it in the market last season?

I also wonder if Kody got some type of inheritance after his father died and the ranch was sold.  Maybe that financed some of this?

4 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

Interesting, at the time Brady Williams "only" had three wives.  But before their show, he "felt called" to take two more wives?  If three are "celestial" enough to get a man's own planet, it seems odd that he would take two more.  Or Kootie, taking on #4 Robyn.  If we've heard their version of the truth, Meri can take the blame for bringing in her eventual usurper.  Karma?  You make the call.

Brady’s last wife was his original plan for wife #1.  They were too young then?

• Love 2

Interesting this mansion Meri is living in.  I would say Sister Wives is bringing in a lot of income to afford homes like this.  I'm curious how much this house would cost at market price?

I think all of them make a whole lot more money than we realize.  Like it or not tv reality stars make lots of cash. 

Meri would never settle for a smaller home.  Never.  Remember how they wanted her to build a much smaller home in Las Vegas and she refused. 

• Love 5

I quit watching for a long time.  Have they discussed how they manage their money?  Not figures or anything, but how it's divided up, and who has to put what in.  So I'm sure TLC money is shared equally, but does Meri have to contribute all of her money from her businesses, or a percentage of it?  Do those that put in more, get more out of it?  So many questions. 

IF  Meri  needs $10,000 pr month to afford a rental of $3000, what about her mortgage in Las Vegas and the mortgage on the B&B? Is TLC paying her 20,000 +  per month?  Just throwing this figure out there because I can't imagine having 2 mortgages and a rental to pay. I am guessing that TLC is paying the $3000 rent for her while they are filming and she doesn't live there while they are not filming.  But who knows maybe she earns $250,000 per year or more. This is some kind of newfangled math.

• Love 1