Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Obsessive Habits

• Start Topic

Whitney prepares for Alaska with a treacherous mountain hike; after receiving an offer to teach dance in New York, Whitney tries to bury the hatchet with Todd; and Buddy and Chelsea's odd behavior leads Whitney to believe there's trouble in paradise.

Airs February 19, 2019.

15 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I don't even watch this show, but I keep seeing the previews for this 'mountain climbing' episode and I HAVE to post. Maybe it's standard practice somewhere to climb in sports bra/leggings, but it seems like the height of foolishness for a giant Weeble to risk the potential scraping and puncturing that could result if it rolls down the hill accidentally with this amount of exposed flesh.

Not to mention the fact that most climbers train for quite a while before doing something like this - so let's just get a completely out of shape obese person to go balls to the wall on climbing when she can barely walk 100 feet. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 11

It's irresponsible to go hiking to "test" yourself.  If you get into trouble rescuers have to come get you in the boondocks and haul your dumb butt out of there.  Go walking on a road where if you have trouble a car can come and get you.  

I also don't think there is any shame it just admitting there are some things you cannot do/are hard to do.  Everyone has some physical limitations.  It's much more responsible to just realize you cannot rock climb/mountain climb and just go for a walk in the park.  I'm sure some of this is the show wanting to film her doing this but she also constantly does no research into something, throws herself into it, and then is SHOCKED when it doesn't work out.

• Love 22
On 2/16/2019 at 12:04 PM, Mollysmom said:

Not to mention the fact that most climbers train for quite a while before doing something like this - so let's just get a completely out of shape obese person to go balls to the wall on climbing when she can barely walk 100 feet. 

Exactly. Way back in the dark ages, when I did my extended backcountry backpacking trip, I started training months before. It went something like this: treadmill walking in hiking boots. After a week, added empty backpack. Week later, added 5 # to backpack. Lather, rinse, repeat. And of course increasing the incline on the treadmill. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14

Exactly. Way back in the dark ages, when I did my extended backcountry backpacking trip, I started training months before. It went something like this: treadmill walking in hiking boots. After a week, added empty backpack. Week later, added 5 # to backpack. Lather, rinse, repeat. And of course increasing the incline on the treadmill. 

ETA: This is how you dress to go mountain climbing. 

FB_IMG_1550589752545.jpg

• Love 15
18 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

It's nice to see some people with common sense planning. As a rescuer, going after someone of normal size is a challenge let alone someone of Whitney's size. This "I can do it" trend never changes--there are always people who come out unprepared and are somehow "surprised" when they get into trouble. Mountains, desert, doesn't matter: they think they can. 

In Yosemite we had a nearly 300 lb, out-of-shape guy who required a litter-out from the upper falls (it was dark, the heli could not go out). It took 10 hours to get him down to the valley. Now I know that's the stuff we signed up for, but risking falling several thousand feet because some putz did something he shouldn't have--brutal honesty--pisses us off. Sure, we'll smile and take the best care of our patient but afterwards behind closed doors we're like, "WTF was he thinking?"

This Alaska trip should be entertaining. 

You have every right to be pissed. You risked your life when you shouldn’t have needed to. It reminded me of a conversation I had with a jackass last year during hurricane season. This guy lived for decades basically on a beach in South Carolina and said he never evacuated even once no matter how strong the hurricane or if it was mandatory etc. His exact words were ‘It’s such a pain to evacuate and if something really bad happens someone will come get us’. Who the F does he think he is that he’d prefer to risk someone’s life to come save his sorry butt instead of being inconvenienced. I may have exploded a bit when he said that considering I barely knew the guy. We weren’t destined to become friends. LOL

• Love 21

That's what I don't understand about any of the "challenges" Whitney sets up for herself.  Why not attempt something she could actually succeed at at her current weight and condition?  Even a person of normal weight and fitness would not be able to climb that wall, imo, without working at it for at least a week or so.  Why does she enter races that are too long for her to finish?  It seems to me that it's part of her magical thinking about her body, that if she can miraculously succeed at an impossible task it will prove that she doesn't need to lose weight or work on conditioning her body.  It still hasn't sunk in that weight loss/becoming fit/any number of worthwhile goals are not things you can achieve overnight.   You have to start slow and easy, conquer the baby steps, and keep at it as you work your way toward the big goals.

Something else I've wondered about Whitney is whether she has a realistic self-image.  When I was at my fattest, pushing 300lb, I often asked my husband if I was "as fat" as somebody else I saw at the store or on the street or wherever.  Has anybody else had this experience, where you really can't visualize how fat your own body is?  If it's the case with Whitney, it would explain a lot of her odd behavior and her belief that she should challenge herself with these impossible goals.

I avoided having my picture taken, unless I could stand at the back of a group.  The only photos I've seen of Whitney are kind of like that, except that she goes for the glam close-up with lots of hair and makeup.  I'd like to see her reaction to a full-length photo of her standing with Buddy, Heather, Todd, Tal, etc., with no fancy photo tricks involved.  I bet she'd be shocked by her size.

• Love 23

Only slightly off topic. In the '80s there were two teenage boys who set out to climb Mt. Washington. They were not prepared for the conditions became lost, suffered severe frostbite and had limbs amputated along with one of the rescue crew losing his life. One of them was not academically gifted but took responsibility for his bad choices, applied to college, finished a Master's and Ph.D.  and designs specialized prosthetic devices. There is a Moth Radio Hour program as well as this https://www.npr.org/2011/08/10/137552538/the-double-amputee-who-designs-better-limbs

Hard to believe our Twaddle would do the same, she probably would just rail about mountains fat shaming her because they were too cold and too steep.

• Love 15
35 minutes ago, Me from ME said:

Only slightly off topic. In the '80s there were two teenage boys who set out to climb Mt. Washington. They were not prepared for the conditions became lost, suffered severe frostbite and had limbs amputated along with one of the rescue crew losing his life. One of them was not academically gifted but took responsibility for his bad choices, applied to college, finished a Master's and Ph.D.  and designs specialized prosthetic devices. There is a Moth Radio Hour program as well as this https://www.npr.org/2011/08/10/137552538/the-double-amputee-who-designs-better-limbs

Hard to believe our Twaddle would do the same, she probably would just rail about mountains fat shaming her because they were too cold and too steep.

just another example of how Whitney is an adolescent in her maturity level.  It isn’t surprising two teenage boys would miscalulate their abilities in a situation like that. They paid a terrible price as did the rescuer. While I  wouldn’t go as far as to “excuse” their behavior,  poor decision-making is much more understandable and expected in teens. But Whitney is supposed to be an adult.  She needs to know better. Someone in their 30s should have better decision making than teenagers. 

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Mothra said:

That's what I don't understand about any of the "challenges" Whitney sets up for herself.  Why not attempt something she could actually succeed at at her current weight and condition?  Even a person of normal weight and fitness would not be able to climb that wall, imo, without working at it for at least a week or so.  Why does she enter races that are too long for her to finish?  It seems to me that it's part of her magical thinking about her body, that if she can miraculously succeed at an impossible task it will prove that she doesn't need to lose weight or work on conditioning her body.  It still hasn't sunk in that weight loss/becoming fit/any number of worthwhile goals are not things you can achieve overnight.   You have to start slow and easy, conquer the baby steps, and keep at it as you work your way toward the big goals.

Something else I've wondered about Whitney is whether she has a realistic self-image.  When I was at my fattest, pushing 300lb, I often asked my husband if I was "as fat" as somebody else I saw at the store or on the street or wherever.  Has anybody else had this experience, where you really can't visualize how fat your own body is?  If it's the case with Whitney, it would explain a lot of her odd behavior and her belief that she should challenge herself with these impossible goals.

I avoided having my picture taken, unless I could stand at the back of a group.  The only photos I've seen of Whitney are kind of like that, except that she goes for the glam close-up with lots of hair and makeup.  I'd like to see her reaction to a full-length photo of her standing with Buddy, Heather, Todd, Tal, etc, with no fancy photo tricks involved.  I bet she'd be shocked by her size.

Yes. I have a real problem with that. I've tried using the "my body gallery" website and putting in my height and weight, and usually my reaction to people's pictures is "they're lying. No way they could weigh what I do, and be that small." 

The picture I posted shows me around 145. I had gained about 30# because my doctor insisted. Yet at 115, I still was fat, in my mind. Body dysmorphia is real. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I get my brutal reality check in the changing room when trying on clothes. ☹️

I don't understand why she isn't using a walking stick.  As a clumsy, overweight person myself, I find a walking stick when climbing rocks or hillsides a real life saver/necessity.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Yes. I have a real problem with that. I've tried using the "my body gallery" website and putting in my height and weight, and usually my reaction to people's pictures is "they're lying. No way they could weigh what I do, and be that small." 

The picture I posted shows me around 145. I had gained about 30# because my doctor insisted. Yet at 115, I still was fat, in my mind. Body dysmorphia is real. 

I’ve been struggling with this. When I was young and thin I thought I was fat. Fast-forward 25 years and last year I was very overweight. I lost 40 lbs which was great. But I still have at least 30 to lose. I have to remind myself I don’t look as good as I think I do. Just because I’ve lost a lot and I’m wearing jeans 4 sizes smaller than before doesn’t mean I’m not still fat. I have to remind myself that I’m not there and be happy with my progress. 

• Love 8

This show is my shameful, little, secret indulgence 😄.  I could say a lot about the people on this show, for sure.   but I gotta admit, I'm here watching every week...I think she's entertaining. (Go easy on me, peeps!😋)

• Love 8

I'm a bit confused by the whole "you need to eat more times a day!" lecture, it sounded like the way a doctor speaks to an anorexic, "you only have to eat 2 more times today, that's it! You can do it!". How does anyone believe she only eats once a day? To maintain her body weight, if she only ate once per day she would have to eat like 5,000 calories in that one meal, how is that possible without her stomach rupturing? I noticed how Jessica also said "she never really snacks" like it's a bad thing, yet Dr. Now says how snacking for obese people is a BAD thing. I don't think eating more times in a day is going to solve Whit's weight problem...

Edited by sara1025
  • LOL 1
  • Love 17
9 hours ago, Colleenna said:

ETA: This is how you dress to go mountain climbing. 

FB_IMG_1550589752545.jpg

Would those be bell bottoms? :  )

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, sara1025 said:

I'm a bit confused by the whole "you need to eat more times a day!" lecture, it sounded like the way a doctor speaks to an anorexic, "you only have to eat 2 more times to day, that's it! You can do it!". How does anyone believe she only eats once a day? To maintain her body weight, if she only ate once per day she would have to eat like 5,000 calories in that one meal, how is that possible without her stomach rupturing? Also, I noticed how her trainer said "she never really snacks" like it's a bad thing, yet Dr. Now says how snacking for obese people it a BAD thing. I don't think eating more times in a day is going to solve Whit's weight problem...

Well it is true that eating three times a day regularly is the best way to maintain weight and health.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner.  But those three meals should not exceed 1500 to 2400 calories, depending on whether you are trying to lose weight or just maintain.  And unlike what Jessica said, best not to eat late in the evening.

Edited by Donut Bear
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Donut Bear said:

Well it is true that eating three times a day regularly is the best way to maintain weight and health.  Breakfast, lunch and dinner.  But those three meals should not exceed 1500 to 2400 calories, depending on whether you are trying to lose weight or just maintain.  And unlike what Jessica said, best not to eat late in the evening.

I'm definitely not arguing against the fact that it's better to eat 3 meals as opposed to 1 for weight loss/health, I just find it hard to believe that Whitney only eats once a day. Like I said, I don't see how that's possible without her stomach rupturing. Also, when I said I was confused by the "you need to eat more times in a day", I was more confused by the fact that someone was telling Whit to eat MORE.

Edited by sara1025
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4

What does she mean by having a chance to be successful in Alaska?  Tons of older people go to Alaska every year and have a good time walking around the glaciers and waving to seals from boat decks. Sounds like fun to me and I bet they feel they've had a successful vacation. Why does she have to do such physical things w/out being in shape for them? I don't care what she does at home, I bet she won't do well on any extended activity in AK. 

• Love 13

It’s less than 30 minutes and it’s ridiculous how many times she’s already lied:

Lie 1- When Twit said that she can go 24 hours without eating and not even notice! Yeah ok! 

Lie 2- When she said that she doesn’t eat all day until 9pm.  Wait tell Will that who found her car a few seasons ago with crap loads Starbucks cups and tons of fast food wrappers. Oh and the fact that she’s well into her high 300’s! 

Lie 3- Telling the BGDC girls that Todd is still quitting! When Todd clearly stated at Harper’s Bday party that he DID NOT quit, he was just taking a break! 

What a fat liar!!!!

• Love 19

Why is everything a freaking race with her???

This hike doesn’t look so bad. I’m a lot older than her and I know I could do that without problems. This is definitely proof that her workouts are either fake or pointless or both.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 11
2 minutes ago, Snarkastikate said:

Penny for that trainer's thoughts.....

Why even invite the man if she wasn't going to listen to the man? I cant stand the way she does all that huffing and puffing like she's exerting so much energy.

Im unimpressed girly.

• Love 13
1 minute ago, aliya said:

Why is she trying to run up that hill?  No brownie points for falling in the slick leaves and twisting your ankle, Twit.

But she is so fabulous that hard as it is to climb Hanging Rock, she will prevail.  Even though what we see in 5 minutes probably took her 2 hours

• Love 8
1 minute ago, Julyolo said:

I think the production team detests her. Some of these shots they take of her rear end and legs are just disgusting!

Yeah that was really bad wasn't it.  The only thing between her and the world is a stretched to the max thin piece of Lycra.   (shudder)

• LOL 9
  • Love 1
12 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Why even invite the man if she wasn't going to listen to the man? I cant stand the way she does all that huffing and puffing like she's exerting so much energy.

Im unimpressed girly.

Omg the huffing and puffing and grunting drives me crazy. I felt for her guide, it’s annoying when we advise inexperienced hikers and they don’t listen to us. Why hire or bring an expert you’re unwilling to listen to? Do it by your damn self then! 

• Love 14
Just now, mybuddyspence said:

For the love of God, put your tits away and wear a bra while you ignore your trainers during your "work outs". 

Oh how many times I've said this to myself.  No body shame to her means let all your fat rolls hang out every minute of the day and forever others to see them.  So gross.  Dignity please!!!!

• Love 14
23 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

Why is everything a freaking race with her???

This hike doesn’t look so bad. I’m a lot older than her and I know I could do that without problems. This is definitely proof that her workouts are either fake or pointless or both.

I’m 65 yrs old -pushing 66- and did that hike 2 weeks ago. It wasn’t the hardest hike but I’m in decent shape. I also paced myself.  She’s so manic!!

• Love 21
7 hours ago, Mothra said:

Has anybody else had this experience, where you really can't visualize how fat your own body is? 

Yes.

However, my experience goes further down the rabbit hole than just not being able to realistically visualize it.  When I look in the mirror ar myself it is like one of those fun house mirrors that distorts my image.  I’m almost 5’8”, barefoot and when I weighed 98 pounds I thought I looked great.  Now that I weigh 158 I think I look like Whitney.  Clinically it’s called Body Dysmorphic Disorder.  I’m pretty sure if she actually went to a qualified therapist she’d fill that bill.

35 minutes ago, Brooklynista said:

Also, how weird is it for a woman pushing 400lbs to rry to convince me she does not have an active eating disorder.?

She is obviously either in denial or milking the drama regarding her eating disorder.  You don’t just have one and then convince yourself you are wonderful just the way you are so it magically goes away.  That’s a huge disrespect to folks who struggle with eating disorders.  Might as well say you could “pray it away”.   I think she named bulimia in previous seasons as her eating disorder of record.

• Love 13
10 minutes ago, TurtlePower said:

Omg the huffing and puffing and grunting drives me crazy. 

That's one of my main peeves when it comes to Twatney.

It really isn't necessary to GROAN, HOLLER, WHINE, GASP, BLUBBER at the top of your lungs to accomplish the things that she does but of course if you do things relatively quietly you won't be the center of attention which is her REAL GOAL.   😵

• Love 15