Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E06: The Crime Scene

• Start Topic

Oh Jake. Anyone that's watched any cop show KNOWS you never promise the victim families anything. I know he felt bad for her and was just trying to help, but still.

LMAO at Rosa's crazy hairdos, especially the Edna Mode one. And I'm glad she and her mom are finally patching things up.

• Love 9

Jake Peralta: bad at metaphors, awful at Rock Paper Scissors, but excellent friend and dedicated cop. Perhaps it was foolish to make a promise to a victim's family that he wasn't sure he could keep, and maybe he shouldn't get emotionally involved in every case, but I think it's good for him to have a reminder of the consequences of his work. It's not just a room full of evidence and a puzzle to solve and bragging rights to be had; there are human lives hanging in the balance waiting on him to bring them solace. The victim's mom could be Jake's mom, or Rosa's mom, and keeping that commonality in perspective is important.

Stephanie Beatriz looked beautiful in even the wildest of those hair styles. So nice to see that they're focusing on Rosa's coming out and how it's affected her relationship with her mom. Kind of felt like Rosa's mom was unwilling to make the first move to ease the tension, so I'm glad Rosa decided it was important enough to her to reach out. And I'm really glad that she had Jake's support, and that we got this episode showcasing their working relationship and friendship mostly free from the (sometimes overbearing) zaniness of the whole 99 crew.

• Love 16

It was weird not seeing as much of the rest of the 99 crew as we usually do, but I still loved this episode. It might be one of my favorites. I legit laughed so long and so hard when Rosa turned to Jake crying, "She reminded me of my mom." I mean, I knew why she made the promise to the vic's mom, but when she turned to Jake with that look and said that all teary-eyed, I just lost it.

Jake and Rosa together were just fantastic, and what we did see of the others, well, they were fabulous.

• Love 12

This might have been a cost-saving episode (mostly the one set, mostly the same actors) but I really liked the idea of it and the reminder that Jake and Rosa are great detectives. Loved Rosa's hairdos. I thought she might actually mention Jake's terrible haircut, but no. 

• Love 9

For a second, I thought it was going to be completely like "The Box", with the rest of the cast being absence, but I'm glad they all were able to be worked into the main storyline at one point or another.  Still, this was mainly all about Jake and Rosa, which I'm more than happy with.  Goes without saying that I love almost every pairing on this show, but I really like the Jake/Rosa team and and how they arguably get each other in ways no one else can.  You can really tell that there is history there, and find it believable that they went through the academy together.  And I have to imagine a bond like that can't be duplicated.  All in all, I love it and think Andy Samberg and Stephanie Beatriz really nail down that type of chemistry and interactions.

Part of me thinks that it would have been interesting if Jake and Rosa didn't actually solve the case, but I did enjoy how both ended up making "rookie mistakes", by promising the mom they would stop the crime, because they could relate to her due to their own relationship with their mothers.  They did fool me though, because I thought for sure the killer would end up being the CSI guy, since he was there so frequently and played by a recognizable face (Michael Mosley!)  Wouldn't mind if we saw him again.  Even if I disagree with his opinion on The Wire!

Despite the limited screen time, I did love Holt bringing up who he considers the best detective duo of all time (and Jake clearly being offended), and Amy accidentally cold-cocking Jake after he scared her.

The running gag with Rosa's new hairstyles was great!

Glad they brought back up Rosa's issues with her mother, and there seems to be movement on that end, finally.

• Love 13

I didn't love this episode as much, mainly because Jake was sooooo over the top out of control that it felt unrealistic (even for him) and, secondly, because the answer to what actually happened in the apartment was too big a stretch for even me to believe. I usually don't care about how realistic police stuff is on the 99, but that made no sense and then I just got annoyed that I was spending too much time thinking about the mechanics of how someone could emerge from an AC vent after days and seamlessly integrate into a CSI team.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

I didn't love this episode as much, mainly because Jake was sooooo over the top out of control that it felt unrealistic (even for him) and, secondly, because the answer to what actually happened in the apartment was too big a stretch for even me to believe. I usually don't care about how realistic police stuff is on the 99, but that made no sense and then I just got annoyed that I was spending too much time thinking about the mechanics of how someone could emerge from an AC vent after days and seamlessly integrate into a CSI team.

I was more bothered that no one  had looked in the very large AC vent at all.  What kind of search was that?  When Jake mentioned "Chekhov's AC" at the beginning, I knew that would be part of the solution.

How did the criminal pay for the lettuce-beet wraps?

I did "like" the murderer letting the Roomba loose on all the blood.  I wonder if the writers had seen articles on what happens if you have a Roomba and a dog who defecates in the same room as said Roomba.  Not pretty.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

For a second, I thought it was going to be completely like "The Box", with the rest of the cast being absence, but I'm glad they all were able to be worked into the main storyline at one point or another.  Still, this was mainly all about Jake and Rosa, which I'm more than happy with.  Goes without saying that I love almost every pairing on this show, but I really like the Jake/Rosa team and and how they arguably get each other in ways no one else can.  You can really tell that there is history there, and find it believable that they went through the academy together.  And I have to imagine a bond like that can't be duplicated.  All in all, I love it and think Andy Samberg and Stephanie Beatriz really nail down that type of chemistry and interactions.

Yeah, I love the Jake-Rosa relationship and they work so well together on cases. But we can still see just how good friends they are.

8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Part of me thinks that it would have been interesting if Jake and Rosa didn't actually solve the case, but I did enjoy how both ended up making "rookie mistakes", by promising the mom they would stop the crime, because they could relate to her due to their own relationship with their mothers.  They did fool me though, because I thought for sure the killer would end up being the CSI guy, since he was there so frequently and played by a recognizable face (Michael Mosley!)  Wouldn't mind if we saw him again.  Even if I disagree with his opinion on The Wire!

I was thinking that the killer would be a vegan and then thought it maybe was mom. It's hard to trust parents who seem to be way too invested in finding out their child's murderer.

And CSI guy was definitely wrong about The Wire, but Jake and Rosa did give off a McNulty-Bunk vibe as they reconstructed the crime scene. It's just a shame that NBC wouldn't allow them to do it just using f-bombs.

• Love 5

I'm all for B99 diversifying out a bit more with these special types of episodes every once in a while. And I am glad we got to see the other cast. Amy waking up to Jake and the Crime Scene Investegator may have been my favourite. Well that and Holt's presence at the scene, and his references to the ACTUAL two best detectives he knows.

I'd love an Amy centered episode before season's end. One from her perspective that maybe shows how separated from the detectives she now is. Think about this same episode but with Amy instead of Jake and Rosa. One where she only sees the other cast in passing while she goes about her day. That would feel tragic.

• Love 3

"Theres blood on the fish!"

I loved this episode, I thought it was a great idea to focus on one case without any subplots, and to focus almost entirely on Jake and Rosa and their dynamic. They have such great chemistry together, they really feel like friends who have known and worked together for years, and understand how they work best together. "Jake and Rosa first impressions". While I missed the rest of the characters, I liked what we got, like Boyle gladly playing the murder victim, Holt remembering his favorite detectives (to Jake's offense), and Amy punching Jake by instinct when he was leaning over her at night. Oh Jake. 

I also think that it was probably a good lesson for Jake, that while its good to remain emotionally objective when solving a case, its also important to remember these are actual people that died, with family and loved ones and lives tragically cut short. Its not just a fun puzzle, its a real tragedy, and its good for him to keep that in mind. While also avoiding the urge to make promises he cant keep because of his own emotional baggage. I also liked that they checked in more with Rosa and her own family issues and her sexuality and their reactions. Glad that it looks like her mom is finally coming around!

The haircuts throughout never stopped cracking me up, although the Edna Mode and the Edward Scissor-hands might have been the funniest. The bun looking top on her head was probably my favorite though, I thought she looked nice! Of course, Rosa always looks great. 

• Love 7

Fun ep. Jake and Rosa working together was great to see. The rock-paper-scissors scene was hysterical. 

I was suspicious of the mother. Like others, I thought she might be the killer, and not actually the vic's mother, because her character was so different for the show. Of course I also suspected Franco McCoy. I expect that finding who hired the killer come up in a later ep.

So many great lines, though I didn't bother to make note of any many.

Holt: I overheard you mention a ... Bill Bobaggins.

Rosa: Ok, you've lost your mind.
Jake: Who told you that? Was it Room?

• Love 4
4 hours ago, peeayebee said:

So many great lines, though I didn't bother to make note of any many.

Holt: I overheard you mention a ... Bill Bobaggins.

Rosa: Ok, you've lost your mind.
Jake: Who told you that? Was it Room?

Two of the great lines!

On 2/15/2019 at 4:06 AM, thuganomics85 said:

For a second, I thought it was going to be completely like "The Box", with the rest of the cast being absence, but I'm glad they all were able to be worked into the main storyline at one point or another. 

The tone of this episode felt so weird to me that I was expecting some weird twist.  Like halfway through, we'd find out Amy had been in a coma the past few months and Jake was focusing on the case to distract himself.  Ha!  I don't know why my mind went there.  

On 2/15/2019 at 12:35 AM, Mystery said:

This might have been a cost-saving episode (mostly the one set, mostly the same actors) but I really liked the idea of it and the reminder that Jake and Rosa are great detectives. Loved Rosa's hairdos. I thought she might actually mention Jake's terrible haircut, but no. 

Any money saved on sets or extras would have been balanced out by the hairdressing bill for Rosa! (And would they save--they usually only really hang out at the station and use the regular ast with a couple extras--they had a bunch of non-speaking actors (cheaper) but a few speaking extras too).

• Love 1

I laugh so hard and so consistently at this show. I love Jake's friendship and partnership with Rosa. ("My least favourite hair!") Of course, I love pretty much everything about Rosa. Except haircut #8. (#2 was very Sonny and Cher Show -- that's how old I am.) I wouldn't mind at all seeing CSI Franco again. Michael Moseley's funny.

• Love 3
On 2/17/2019 at 7:27 PM, carolibra said:

Enjoyed the reference Jake made to Andy's appearance on Finding Your Roots: "It's okay, I'm half-Italian!"

Except that Andy is one quarter Italian.  His mother turned out to be half Italian.

On 2/15/2019 at 4:06 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Despite the limited screen time, I did love Holt bringing up who he considers the best detective duo of all time (and Jake clearly being offended), and Amy accidentally cold-cocking Jake after he scared her.

The running gag with Rosa's new hairstyles was great!

Glad they brought back up Rosa's issues with her mother, and there seems to be movement on that end, finally.

I was leaning mom.

Was I the only one disappointed that the Roomba wasn't the murderer* (Jake would have loved that!)? I guess it would need to be heavily souped-up to provide enough impetus to fatally stab anyone and they'd probably need to be lying down at the time, but it would have been amazing if that had been the answer.

* OK, the programmer would be the murderer and the Roomba would be the murder weapon, but I'm sure it would be described as being the murderer.

• Love 2