Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Food Truck Race - General Discussion

• Start Topic

So the pink guys Bao Bei is gonna win this right? Every week they are bottom but get rescued because they win a challenge. Sounds like Tyler wants them to win for whatever reason and will do whatever it takes to get them there.

• Like 1

“Hey come try our food!  It’s super delicious!!  Heck I’ll give you 25 bucks to come try it!!  LOLOLOLOLOLLLLLL!”

The Daughter “daddddddddy!  These food trucks are so fun!!! I think I’m going to be on TV!!!!”

Hat Daddy “I’ll make sure of that hun!”

Also:  Tyler is insufferable.  I could have never predicted how much I would really dislike him over the course of a few episodes.  And this season feels like 20 episodes long already from all of this contrived drama.  I don’t know if any of these trucks made it after this season but I wouldn’t spend a dime at any of them.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Whichever, they went about it in the wrong way, they should hav gone to production, not tried to stir up something with the other trucks.

Exactly.  I'd guess from the look on the empanada woman's face that she really relished trying to start trouble.  I hope they flame out next week.

I don't like all the cash rewards.  There are too many and they seem like a way for the producers to manipulate the standings.  The coin in the king cake could easily have been sent to a truck of production's choice and it was a reward for nothing at all.  I was glad the bao boys got it though.

The highlight of the episode (for me) was seeing Panini Pete.  He's been on GGG a number of times and has always been a big favorite of mine.  He's an actual chef and he and John Conley, another favoriite, and a third guy have traveled all over cooking for veterans and other groups.

• Like 11
(edited)

At this point I'm in the 'anyone but Empanadas" group.   They should have been sent home for their troublemaking.   

My suspicious nature makes me wonder if Empanadas is a producer plant to make thinks more dramatic.  Almost every big issue has been about Empanada truck.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 13
  • Applause 1
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

At this point I'm in the 'anyone but Empanadas" group.   They should have been sent home for their troublemaking.      

100% this. I find myself kind of rooting for Bao Bei but I cannot stand the Empanadas jerks.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
15 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Maybe Empanada just flat out made it up...  or they misinterpreted something they overheard?  We'll probably never know for sure.

They showed a clip of the guy approaching the empanada lady complete with very clear audio. It was definitely said; however, the question of why remains.

• Like 5
(edited)

I thought it was a little rich for Tyler to criticize Fishnet for calling out Empanadas' processed ingredients considering that I don't think he bothered to intervene any time Khana got nastier about rival trucks last season (or any of the other many, many times trucks have called out another while promoting their own business). File it alongside his sudden and temporary concern for price gouging!

Is the show pretty blatantly bolstering Bao Bei? Seems that way. Do I still prefer them to Empanadas? Yes, very much so. And sorry to see Fishnet go; they did actually seem concerned about putting out a decent product, although risotto was a terrible choice of a challenge dish.

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 8
18 minutes ago, jcbrown said:

I cannot stand the Empanadas jerks.

At this point, I think of them as black cats with nine lives.

Every week I want to see them go, yet somehow they can keep outselling everyone, which I also don't understand. Their food, their prices and their salesmanship--not to mention sportsmanship after that episode--doesn't appear to be any better than anyone else's, so how do they manage to not just stay in the competition, but win every round?

• Like 8
(edited)

I haven't liked the Empanadas crew since they made fun of Bao Bei's name in a previous episode. I find them mean spirited and that one woman (who stopped working in a previous episode) threw a childish tantrum.

It sounds like the "customer" was either lying (for whatever reason) or his daughter was lying (for whatever reason). If it was just a misunderstanding (like Bao Bei jokingly offered to pay), the cameras would've caught it. Also, paying someone to buy your food makes no sense because you're losing money.

Regardless, Empanadas should've quietly gone to the producers and asked them to investigate, instead of spreading an unsubstantiated accusation around to the other trucks. I'm not a fan of Tyler this season but he did say one thing true at the elimination: even proven innocent, once made public, the cheating accusation will follow Bao Bei around.

Unfortunately, I think Empanadas is going to win.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 11
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Unfortunately, I think Empanadas is going to win.

I sincerely hope not! I'd kind of like to see the Waffle guys take it.  That would blow everyone away!! But I think it is going to be either Bao Bei or Empanadas. Really, anyone but Emapanadas would make me happy.

• Like 7
On 8/6/2024 at 6:16 AM, tv echo said:

Regardless, Empanadas should've quietly gone to the producers and asked them to investigate, instead of spreading an unsubstantiated accusation around to the other trucks. 

Exactly.  And then they deny that they were trying to stir things up.  There should have been some consequences.  I don't know what, but to let them get away with it with a lame lie rubs wrong.

• Like 3
18 minutes ago, meep.meep said:

Is tomorrow's episode the finale or not?  They didn't say it in the discussion of next week.

I saw on Tyler's IG feed that he was looking forward to the finale on Sunday. That's all I've got. Wouldn't the FN site have that info? I don't care enough to look.

• Like 2
(edited)

Despite the Tyler postings, and TV ads, this week is the semifinal in Panama City, next week is the Finale in Fort Myers, and South Beach, with two teams. 

This Week: 8/11/2024, New, "Beach Battle Royale"

"Three teams pounce on Panama City, Florida, in an effort to scrap their way into the finale. Tyler Florence launches a secret challenge that earns one truck a jaw-dropping advantage against a team of their choosing, and hard feelings from the past may come to play in the present."

Three trucks are: Bao Bei, Wally's Waffles, and Argentina Empanada. 

Day one-Boardwalk Bite Challenge.   Snack presented in a cone, bag or on a stick.  Bao Bei picks the sticks, Argentina picks the bag, Wally's get the waffle cones.   First team to sell 20 Boardwalk Bites wins $300 for thier till, plus trucks can sell their own menu items too. .   Anywhere near Pier Park will be a great location.  Wally's makes a Dream cone, with strawberries.   Empanadas makes pigs in a blanket for the special. Bao Bei makes popcorn chicken on a stick. All three trucks price the specials at either $5 or $10 to get the 20 sales.   

Winner of the $300 is: Argentina's Empanadas.  The other trucks dishes look so much better than Empanadas dish did.   

Tyler says he'll give the best tasting dish of the Boardwalk Bites special $500.   Winner of $500 is: Bao Bei.   (The Empanada truck group pout like two year olds).

Day Two: Start selling until after the noon rush at the Farmer's Market, sell their regular menu, and afternoon sell where ever they want.   Season 10 winners from Nola's Creations are guest judges, and secret shoppers.  One challenge is customer experience, judged by the guest judges.  Winner of customer experience can shut down a competitor truck for an hour.    Second competition is flavor for $500, judged by the secret shoppers. 

Winner of customer experience is Wally's Waffles, they shut down Empanadas for one hour. Bao Bei, Empanadas, and Wallys relocate, all close to each other.  The Empanada guy whines as usual.  

After the hour ends, Empanadas take their food and sell it in a bar.  Taste challenge winner is Bao Bei, $500 to their till. 

Two trucks going to the finale are: Bao Bei, and Wally's Waffles

Eliminated truck is: Empanadas. 

Next week is the Finale, "South Beach Showdown" 8/18/2024, New.    

"Two food truck finalists join Tyler Florence for the final leg in Fort Meyers, Florida, where they feed their fans on a day of intense selling and challenges. Then at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival in Miami, the teams' ultimate fate will be determined, and the winner will claim $50,000 and the title of Great Food Truck Race champion."

Last Two Trucks: Bao Bei, and Wally's Waffles.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
(edited)

Re: Tyler yelling at Wally's Waffles about store-bought chocolate...don't tell me this show expects savory food trucks to be out here tempering their own chocolate..

Edited by LexieLily
  • Like 4
  • LOL 7

I am just amazed.  The two trucks I like and have wanted to see in the finale all along actually are.  Whatever happens next week, I'm going to be happy for the winner and sad for the loser.

The empanada crew were smug when they won and whiny when they didn't.  They came across as poor sports, especially at the end.  I was glad to see the last of them.

• Like 15

DID THAT JUST HAPPEN?!?!!!!

I was shocked and I’m not sure why.  I felt more victory from that than a sporting event lol.  I am also left with a residual disdain for empanadas which isn’t great since I’ll be in argentina in a few weeks 🤣🤣🤣

I’m ok with either truck left winning.  The biggest surprise may be Baos making Baos in the final episode.  The waffle truck has been a nice story with very little drama to cry over spilled milk…..😂

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Their only other "drama" was in the form of contaminated Nutella. 

Bao has been all over the map. I think the challenges saved them again this week. Tyler alluded to it, but didn't point out who benefitted, unless it was after he booted Empanadas (and I changed the channel). 

Glad to see the backs of Empanadas. They played dirty. 

• Like 9
11 hours ago, LexieLily said:

Re: Tyler yelling at Bao Bei about store-bought chocolate...don't tell me this show expects savory food trucks to be out here tempering their own chocolate..

Noticed that the empanada truck was using prepackaged sausages and ready made empanada dough.  No mention of that from Tyler.

• Like 11
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1

I know most people don't like the empanada truck, but I think they got royally screwed this week. They lost to the waffle truck by about $80, even with having to start selling an hour later. Plus, the waffle truck got the $500 "customer service bonus." So, in reality the empanada truck far outsold them.

The number of challenges on each show this season has been ridiculous. Sales hardly even matter anymore. In fact, this week Tyler just gave the totals including the challenges, so we have no idea of actual sales. There were so many challenges this week I couldn't even keep track of them. 

The past winners from the Nola truck basically got to pick the semifinalist, because they awarded a total of $1,000 in challenge money. That is, if you believe they weren't told who to pick by the judges. The huge amount of challenge money essentially enables the producers to manipulate the standings.

From the very first show this season I've felt they wanted Bao Bei and Wally's Waffles in the final, and they've used the challenges as a way to ensure that result. This show used to be fun. Now it feels like a rigged game show. 

• Like 9
(edited)

It does seem like there was more Tyler/producer manipulation and inconsistent treatment of the trucks this season. 

However, I'm happy with the final two being Wally's Waffles and Bao Bei. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 10

The customer service award did not come with any money. The prize was just shutting down another truck for an hour. Thank you @cameron for pointing out the empanada dough was pre-made. I couldn't figure out how they went from being closed to selling with no prep time. My husband wondered if it was legal for them to sell in the brewery. 

I thought it was an impossible task to ask them to come up with a dish that they could sell (make) the fastest and then expect it to be of gourmet quality.

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

My husband wondered if it was legal for them to sell in the brewery. 

Why? I assume production gets permission/clearance for venues.

• Like 2
(edited)

Wasn't it Wally's Waffles with the storebought chocolate? Bao Bei didn't make any dessert items this episode. Anyway, my bigger issue with Wally's in that challenge was that I thought they used storebought cones, which.....defeats the purpose of being a waffle truck. Filling cones with topping and whipped cream is, like Tyler said, something his kids could do. Bao Bei absolutely deserved that win.

Which brought me around to the boostering Bao Bei has received in challenges this season. I don't think they've deserved all of them -- for example, the one with the kids made zero sense to me because making kid-friendly food should have been a factor in the reward. But in this episode, I got it. Wally's waffles are probably good, because waffles, but they seem to get mixed responses; I don't get the sense they're as good as Waffle Love's or require the same technique. And Empanadas, well, we know their reliance on packaged ingredients. If Tyler wanted a truck with some degree of unique technical cred to make it to the final, this was his last shot to do so via Bao Bei. 

Also, Empanadas whinging about how mean and personal it was to be shut down for an hour despite being the most obvious truck strategically to close. 🙄

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
(edited)

All of the trucks had to use Tyler's furnished props, the waffle cones, skewer sticks, and little paper bags were furnished to each truck by producers.       I'm so glad I never have to hear anyone shill for the corn and mac 'n cheese dish again.   It looked tasteless.  

I'm watching the rerun of this episode, just to see the look on Empanadas truck team's face when they get booted. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 6
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 3

I happened to google and it took me to the FB page of the empanadas to see if they were a live company selling food and they are.   Now they are claiming it was “funny business” that. Took them out, not the one hour and also that Paola won the customer service challenge by a landslide and it wasn’t shown how well she did.   They are sore losers imo.  They basically get tons of free publicity (good and bad) for their food service operation and now they are complaining about it.  I hope they break their NDA and don’t get paid.

Do I think there are producer shenanigans?  Absolutely.  But hey, they are the ones footing the bill so that you can be actors in this production.  Just have your watch parties and be glad you got this close to the end.  Meh.

• Like 8
On 8/5/2024 at 1:21 PM, eel2178 said:

They showed a clip of the guy approaching the empanada lady complete with very clear audio. It was definitely said; however, the question of why remains.

In earlier seasons, there have been accounts here of producers seeding money to drum up business - ie giving people 50 dollars or whatever to go spend at whatever food truck they liked, which some have blamed the rampant price-gouging of earlier seasons on. Watching the drama unfold, I wondered if that was what happened, and the man and his daughter misunderstood what was happening. For obvious reasons, Tyler's not going to come out on camera and say, "This wasn't Bao Bei cheating; it was just production meddling."

• Like 1
  • Useful 6

Finally caught up on the episodes as I was watching the Olympics the last 2 weeks. I am glad that the last 2 trucks standing are Wally's Waffles and Bao Bei but Bao Bei is really only there because they are so good at the challenges and the challenge prize money is so ridiculously high. 

I'm also not sure why Empanadas didn't bring the cheating allegation to the producers first instead of texting the other trucks. The only reason would be to try to stir up $hit. I think it's a sign of how obnoxious Empanadas has been and how unlikable they must be that Wallys and Fishnet immediately took Bao Bei's side. And the actual allegation didn't make sense anyway. 

Anyway, looking foward to Wally's and Bao Bei duking it out in the finale although it looks like just more manufactured drama. 

• Like 8
On 8/12/2024 at 12:59 PM, HappyDancex2 said:

I happened to google and it took me to the FB page of the empanadas to see if they were a live company selling food and they are.   Now they are claiming it was “funny business” that. Took them out, not the one hour and also that Paola won the customer service challenge by a landslide and it wasn’t shown how well she did.   They are sore losers imo.  They basically get tons of free publicity (good and bad) for their food service operation and now they are complaining about it.  I hope they break their NDA and don’t get paid.

Do I think there are producer shenanigans?  Absolutely.  But hey, they are the ones footing the bill so that you can be actors in this production.  Just have your watch parties and be glad you got this close to the end.  Meh.

Chad from Empanadas is all over Reddit trying to put out fires. He claims that he was told not to be so positive and that they reshot scenes to make them more dramatic. If Paola had crushed the customer service challenge, we works have seen that rather than her being perfunctory with Nola. So much of what he said didn't add up. He never addressed the cheating allegations that I saw. 

• Like 8
(edited)

I don't doubt that some of the material we've seen has been staged/reenacted -- there have been some very clunky "wow, did you see THAT?" "Golly, I sure did!" type exchanges. But no one else this season, after the first couple of episodes, has given the show as much consistently unflattering material as Empanadas which, at a certain point, probably tells you something...

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 6

I'm so glad the Empanadas team was eliminated. Even here, they just had this undercurrent of nastiness -- they were really unpleasant and took it so personally, for instance, when they were chosen to shut down and hour -- lots of slightly weird/icky "you're making a mistake/you'll be sorry" type undercurrents to their reactions. Like, I get that they were upset at being shut down but it made me uncomfortable.

Meanwhile the conversations on Reddit have been fascinating, and I was a little surprised to really get a kick out of Ferhat (the bald guy) from Fishnet's responses -- he comes off as being pretty open, funny, and patient, and he also talked about some of the reenacted scenes (the finger swipe of the Nutella was one), which was really interesting.

They also seem really close to the other teams (except Empanadas).

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
(edited)

Finale, "South Beach Showdown" 8/18/2024, New.    Season 17, Episode 8. 

"Two food truck finalists join Tyler Florence for the final leg in Fort Meyers, Florida, where they feed their fans on a day of intense selling and challenges. Then at the South Beach Wine & Food Festival in Miami, the teams' ultimate fate will be determined, and the winner will claim $50,000 and the title of Great Food Truck Race champion."

Last Two Trucks: Bao Bei, and Wally's Waffles.

Day One-Fort Myers, (Tyler claims it's a finale like the Food Truck Race has never seen before) They have to do a special Florida orange combo, as a drink, entre and dessert with citrus in all three course of the meal, winner gets $300.    Wally's ends up next to Bao Bei.  Bao makes Orange Chicken.   Wally's makes mimosa, orange syrup on the dessert, and glazed chicken on waffles. Wally's gets a huge selling jump on Bao Bei.   Bao Bei hasn't opened, and the lines waiting are huge.  Then, Wally's runs out of food and has to do another food shopping trip.   This gives Bao a chance to catch up, until they have to go shopping too. 

Customers seem to love both teams orange special combos. Tyler tells them they're both selling at South Beach tomorrow.  Tyler wants them to do a tasting dish, and Tyler's giving them chefs and sous chefs to help.  The 2,500 guests at the festival will taste and vote on the best dish. 

Day Two-South Beach Wine & Food Festival.   Another challenge where they have to prep 2,500 of a special, and fair attendees will vote on the best dish.  They get chefs and sous chefs to help them prepare the food.   Each team gets three helpers.   Tyler wants each team to present their dish to chef friends of his, tell the chefs their own story, and winner gets $500. 

Bao Bei makes the Bao pork belly, and the buns will be steamed. This time the steamed buns look great.  

Wally's makes Liege waffles with slow braised beef (Thanks to meep.meep for the correction).   

Judges for the best bite contest are Aarti Sequeira, Jeff Mauro, and Maneet Chauhan (with a fantastic new haircut).   (Sorry if I misspelled any names). 

Bao Bei gets $300, Bao Bei gets $500 for the best dish challenge, so $800 total added. 

Congratulations to Bao and Wally's for making the finals, in spite of Empanadas shenanigans.  I love that both truck's teams are being good sports. It comes down to the South Beach attendees challenge, 2575 votes. 

Winning truck is:  Wally's Waffles.  They won by $130. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 5

Tyler: "I'm taking y'all to the wine and food festival with me and you guys will be given a prep kitchen/people to help y'all make a GOLD MEDAL BITE for 2500 customers!"

Translation: Please don't embarrass me in front of my chef friends!

• LOL 7

Congrats to Wally's Waffles! One thing I don't understand. People kept saying the waffles were dense. Aren't those Belgian waffles that they make supposed to be dense? If Bao hadn't gotten the $800 extra, this would have been a runaway. Hope both teams have continued success!

• Like 12
14 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

Congrats to Wally's Waffles! One thing I don't understand. People kept saying the waffles were dense. Aren't those Belgian waffles that they make supposed to be dense? If Bao hadn't gotten the $800 extra, this would have been a runaway. Hope both teams have continued success!

Exactly what I was thinking.  Liege waffles are more dense…the popular type of waffles in Japan btw.  It’s not a bad choice especially when you have to top it with gloppy stuff.  But most people associate waffles with fluffy.  I’m still happy they won.  They seem like a nice team.  At least Tyler didn’t ruin the episode.  I thought Aarti looked stunning.

• Like 9

I celebrated the finale by buying some beef empanadas at Whole Foods and ate them with a bottled Ghana sauce from a farmers market that was fantastic.  Type of sauce where you can eat it with anything!  I did have a fleeting thought that I would be super mad waiting 2 hours for that product though LOL.  Bought a waffle too but couldn’t eat that much food.

super glad we got to see BB make a Bao and make great food.  Overall this season there were too many money enhancing challenges.  It did scream producer shenanigans after while but since none of the other teams were that likeable I didn’t get mad.

My goal for next season is to not watch it and get sucked in.  It would border on hate watching it for Tyler.  The SAY YOURE SORRY moment was too much for me.  And next season no prices over $15.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

The two final truck teams in the finale both seemed nice, so I would've been happy either way. After Bao Bei took so long to prepare their orange trio special, it did seem like Wally's Waffles was going to win (despite the challenges). But I respect Bao Bei for how they've made their food, which did seem to require a longer prep time than what Wally's Waffles was selling. Congrats to Wally's Waffles!

• Like 8

I hadn't watched in a while, but I am traveling where they have FN.   Totally disappointed in how they ruined this show.  It used to be about where you found a parking spot, your price point, running out of food, a real 'business' type of show.  Now with all these 'challenges' they just have crap teams coast through, like the awful mac and cheese truck last season.

• Like 6

Although I thought both trucks had good food and were nice people, I was pleasantly surprised that Wally's Waffles won as I felt all of the 'taste' challenges were really set up to help Bao Bei win.  It's always questionable to me when they have 'taste' challenges as there could easily be producer shenanigans involved.  I do think Bao Bei's food looked delicious, but their sales were consistently low if in spite of winning $800 through the challenges Wally's Waffles still beat them in sales.

• Like 9

I really hated that last 'origins' challenge where they had to tell their sob story to FN chefs. I go to a food truck for quality food, if the back story is good, that's just a plus, not a deciding factor.  All these people are 'worthy' of a helping hand up.

• Like 5
11 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Totally agree.  Think it was all manufactured drama.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Day Two-South Beach Wine & Food Festival.   Another challenge where they have to prep 2,500 of a special, and fair attendees will vote on the best dish.  They get chefs and sous chefs to help them prepare the food.   Each team gets three helpers.   Tyler wants each team to present their dish to chef friends of his, tell the chefs their own story, and winner gets $500. 

Bao Bei makes the Bao pork belly, and the buns will be steamed. This time the steamed buns look great.  

Wally's makes chicken and waffles, but Chicago Polish style with chicken cutlets.   

Actually for the tasting "bite" Wally's made Liege waffles with slow braised beef.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/6/2024 at 11:18 AM, Gramto6 said:

I sincerely hope not! I'd kind of like to see the Waffle guys take it.  That would blow everyone away!! But I think it is going to be either Bao Bei or Empanadas. Really, anyone but Emapanadas would make me happy.

Congrats to Wally's Waffles!  I kind of called it!!  (Glad I was wrong about Empanadas!)

This show has jumped the shark as far as I am concerned. I won't be watching any new seasons, but I will read about them here!!

• Like 2
3 hours ago, jabRI said:

I hadn't watched in a while, but I am traveling where they have FN.   Totally disappointed in how they ruined this show.  It used to be about where you found a parking spot, your price point, running out of food, a real 'business' type of show.  Now with all these 'challenges' they just have crap teams coast through, like the awful mac and cheese truck last season.

I agree. And when they have a challenge based on taste alone - judged by professionals - there's no indication that they can't just buy really expensive ingredients to produce a better dish. Are there any cost restrictions?

And that brings another point to mind. It seems that the teams had a huge amount of already cooked short ribs, and pork belly available. Aren't those things that take a while to cook?  It just seems like there's  a lot missing.

• Like 5

All the guys on both teams were nice, decent, likeable fellows so I would have been happy with either team winning.  Wally's Waffles must have blown away Bao Bei in sales because they beat them even after Bao Bei won two large cash advantages.  OTOH Bao Bei were the team that actually cooked food from scratch and what they offered looked better overall to me.  I wish them all well and hope both teams have much success.

• Like 7

I love that both teams were congratulating each other at the end, and acting like competitors without the nastiness of the most recently eliminated truck.    I wish both teams could have won, and I'm hoping both teams do very well after the race.   

• Like 13

I’m not a fan of pale, limp waffles so Wally’s didn’t do much for me. I thought Bao’s food consistently looked better. I wonder what those South Beach people really thought. 

• Like 2