Type keyword(s) to search

Orvillian Media: Wireless Telecommunications Facility

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

Starting a new media thread as old one got wiped in a server crash. (And if any of y'all are thinking of ranting about the wisdom of backups—don't bother.)

Interview from TV Line: "The Orville's Penny Johnson Jerald: Season 2 Has 'More Sex,' Braves Places 'We Thought Could Be Borderline" 

PJJ sounds so deliriously over-the-top enthusiastic that I'm not sure if "I'll have what she's having," heh.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2018 at 12:29 AM, shapeshifter said:

Starting a new media thread as old one got wiped in a server crash. (And if any of y'all are thinking of ranting about the wisdom of backups—don't bother.)

Interview from TV Line: "The Orville's Penny Johnson Jerald: Season 2 Has 'More Sex,' Braves Places 'We Thought Could Be Borderline" 

PJJ sounds so deliriously over-the-top enthusiastic that I'm not sure if "I'll have what she's having," heh.

I'd like to know what could be more "borderline" than a married same-sex male couple on board and having Ed sleep with a male alien.

• Love 1

From https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/seth-macfarlane-the-orville-returns-family-guy-fox/:

12/27/2018, 01:17pm

Seth MacFarlane offers mix of old and new on return of ‘The Orville’

After a successful first-season mission, Fox’s “The Orville” orbits back for Season 2 Sunday (7 p.m., following an NFL game).

With the possibility of a turbocharged ratings boost from NFL coverage that precedes it, series creator and star Seth MacFarlane (“Family Guy,” “Ted”) plans to reintroduce the series to potential new fans and those who haven’t seen a new episode since last December.

“The first episode is a reacquaintance with the crew,” including his U.S.S. Orville character, Capt. Ed Mercer, he says. “We’ve been off the air for a little while” – a year, to be precise – “and hopefully by the end [viewers] will feel like [the show] never left.”

MacFarlane, a multitalented former Oscars host who produces, writes, acts and sings, chatted with USA Today about “The Orville” and other projects.…

Q. What can we look forward to in Season 2 of “The Orville,” besides the “first contact” with a previously unknown civilization and the return of an enemy race, The Krill?

A.  People can expect to see a visual expansion, an expanded knowledge about the characters and their relationships and a show that’s been worth the wait. The budget is bigger for Season 2. We obviously have a first-rate visual-effects and costume and makeup team. All the money is on the screen. I think people will be shocked with the level of feature-quality cinematic work they’re going to see.

We’re part of this new, experimental program that creates a different balance between ad time and programming time, so the episodes are about seven or eight minutes longer than last year [which] allows you to let things breathe in a way that streaming shows are able to do. … That’s been a big boon for our storytelling process.”

Q. Is the tone similar to Season 1? A drama with comic overtones and character and relationship developments?

A.  As with any show that walks a hybrid line, there’s a little bit of a learning curve. I think we settled into it early enough in the season that by [the finale] we had a show that was self-assured. We always look to “M*A*S*H” as the ultimate achievement in that regard, and even that was a show that took a minute to find its tonal footing. You can’t just be an hour-long jokefest. That works for a movie, but not for a television series where you want people to come back week after week and care what happens to these characters. … Going into this, I was not sure if viewers would insist everything be joke, joke, joke, joke. And it really wasn’t that. They were responding to the science fiction and the feedback I got was they wanted more of it.…

Edited by shapeshifter
removed non-Orvillian stuff

Orville Alara Kitan (Halston Sage) sighting on Magnum, P.I. The wondrous Hawaiian sun has changed her from pasty white to a lovely golden tan. It also removed some of the wrinkles from her nose and forehead. See for yourself on Magnum, P.I. Episode 12 “Winner Takes All.”

• Love 3

The Orville got a reference in tonight's episode of The Simpsons.

After Homer "borrowed" comic Book guy's classic Cadillac and returned it with a small paint scratch.
Comic Book Guy: "I gave you the USS Enterprise, and you returned with The Orville."

• LOL 7
10 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

After Homer "borrowed" comic Book guy's classic Cadillac and returned it with a small paint scratch.
Comic Book Guy: "I gave you the USS Enterprise, and you returned with The Orville."

That is hilarious!

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 5:26 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I'm looking forward to this.  Seth has built an interesting enough world that I want to see more of it through books and comics.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, italianguy626 said:

I wanted this to be encouraging, but on the same page are links to at least two other articles about why this or that show shouldn't be cancelled—neither of which I value. And the article's "But Fox would be a bunch of morons crammed into a clown car if it decided to cancel its sci-fi series The Orville" doesn't really bode well either, to me. 😕

• Love 1
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Did you see Seth's reaction to the news about the renewal? It's hilarious -- and so typically Seth!  

understand pop culture GIF

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh man, Seth got a renewal AND got a chance to hilariously drag someone on Twitter! Its a banner day for him!

Seriously though, I am super happy to get a season three!

Edited by tennisgurl
  • LOL 2
  • Love 4
4 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

Yeah, he was.  Do you REALLY think Seth hates his own show so much that he'd have THAT kind of negative meltdown at the thought of its renewal?

No, I've just known people who yell like that when they're happy-excited.
So I thought he might just be doing that and hadn't heard about the Twitterverse trash talking Wu.
Or maybe he was trying to deflect some of the Wu trashing.

• Love 2

The Orville Moving Exclusively to Hulu for Season 3, to Premiere in Late 2020

After two seasons on Fox, Seth MacFarlane’s sci-fi epic will move to Hulu in Season 3. In making the announcement at San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday, MacFarlane also revealed that the third season will not debut until late 2020.

“The Orville has been a labor of love for me, and there are two companies which have supported that vision in a big way: 20th Century Fox Television… and Fox [network], which has been my broadcast home for over 20 years,” MacFarlane said in a statement. “My friends at the network understood what I was trying to do with this series, and they’ve done a spectacular job of marketing, launching and programming it for these past two seasons. But as the show has evolved and become more ambitious production-wise, I determined that I would not be able to deliver episodes until 2020, which would be challenging for the network. So we began to discuss how best to support the third season in a way that worked for the show. It’s exactly this kind of willingness to accommodate a show’s creative needs that’s made me want to stick around for so long.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Just coming here to post this horrible news.  I'm a Hulu subscriber and it's probably a coup for Hulu, but you're freezing out the people that loved your series and made it popular. Stupid move, but if the alternative is cancellation, then I guess it's survival. At least it's still on the air and probably has more license to develop stories that question our beliefs of what's right and what's wrong in society nowadays.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, FrankOFoley said:

And, what about us here in Canada? Hopefully it will be shown on the Space channel, like STD. Other US streaming shows are shown on pay cable in Canada, hopefully The Orville will also be one.

FWIW, Bravo Canada airs the Hulu original The Handmaid's Tale.

• Love 1