Type keyword(s) to search

Orvillian Media: Wireless Telecommunications Facility

shapeshifter
  • Start Topic

Photo from the bridge of The Orville: New Horizons‘ 10-episode third season on Hulu on Thursday, March 10. The cast includes: Penny Johnson Jerald (as Dr. Claire Finn), Peter Macon (as Lt. Cmdr. Bortus), J. Lee (as Lt. Cmdr. John LaMarr), Mark Jackson (Isaac), Chad L. Coleman (Klyden) Norm Macdonald (Yaphit), Jessica Szohr (Lt. Talla Keyali) and Eliza Taylor will guest star.

FG1wDmBVEAAO_Gw.jpg

In the photo: Capt. Ed Mercer (Seth MacFarlane), Cmdr. Kelly Grayson (Adrianne Palicki) and Lt. Gordon Malloy (Scott Grimes) and new series regular Anne Winters as Ensign Charly Burke. Bruce Boxleitner as President Alcuzan, Lisa Banes (deceased) as Senator Balask, and Admiral Halsey (Victor Garber) observes.

• Love 5

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this is a really lame giveaway contest?  It's a stuffed Rudolph, that anyone can buy today.  There's nothing that says "cool prop from a sci-fi tv show", or is anyway recognizable as being a prop from the Orville specifically. 

5 hours ago, chaifan said:

Is it just me, or does anyone else think this is a really lame giveaway contest?  It's a stuffed Rudolph, that anyone can buy today.  There's nothing that says "cool prop from a sci-fi tv show", or is anyway recognizable as being a prop from the Orville specifically. 

I don't think this is an official "The Orville" giveaway, but one of the Co-Producers and Film Editors for the show doing something for the people who follow his Instagram posts. Most of the interesting news about the show's production status has been learned from reading his posts.

• Love 1
On 12/26/2021 at 2:37 PM, chaifan said:

Don't look a gift red-nosed reindeer in the mouth.

• LOL 3
On 12/24/2021 at 11:31 PM, AnimeMania said:

Contest to give away a prop from the show.

orrein-1.jpg

Send a comment to this Instagram post by 12:01 am Jan 1st and one lucky winner will receive this baby, wait, after re-reading the post, the actual prize is the stuffed toy raindeer that was used on the show.

I think I want the baby anyway. One that is that patient and accommodating that you can apply the Moclan makeup on them sounds like a baby that will grow up to be one great kid. I can't imagine what the challenge was to get the baby to sit still to have the makeup applied to them.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I think I want the baby anyway. One that is that patient and accommodating that you can apply the Moclan makeup on them sounds like a baby that will grow up to be one great kid. I can't imagine what the challenge was to get the baby to sit still to have the makeup applied to them.

Waited til it was passed out cold would be my guess.

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

2 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Waited til it was passed out cold would be my guess.

Unless it was added in post-production. The baby was only in one scene, wasn't it?

• Love 2
12 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Unless it was added in post-production. The baby was only in one scene, wasn't it?

Right. Didn't think of that. Darn CGI messing me up...oh well. The baby is still cute and I'm sure they'll turn out to be a good kid anyway.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, DanaK said:

The last year has demonstrated the potentially far-reaching consequences of safety on set. 
Bravo to those (Seth?) who have taken to heart the life-and-death lessons learned—–whether from a gun or a virus.

I can wait.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

One story line of Season 3 is revealed.

3c2LL5JAhPidHRbUDooXbD.jpg

Klyden and Bortus Seek Counseling: After realizing that "divorce" means having to kill one's spouse, the two will be in couples counseling and are "slowly starting to patch up their relationship." But that won't be the only personal drama that Klyden will have to deal with. "[There's] some serious drama for Klyden that's going to shake people. And my whole Moclan family. And running through the whole crew, period," said Chad L Coleman who plays Klyden.

• Useful 1
On 3/11/2022 at 6:09 PM, AnimeMania said:

One story line of Season 3 is revealed.

3c2LL5JAhPidHRbUDooXbD.jpg

Klyden and Bortus Seek Counseling: After realizing that "divorce" means having to kill one's spouse, the two will be in couples counseling and are "slowly starting to patch up their relationship." But that won't be the only personal drama that Klyden will have to deal with. "[There's] some serious drama for Klyden that's going to shake people. And my whole Moclan family. And running through the whole crew, period," said Chad L Coleman who plays Klyden.

That sounds like Klyden might "transition" to being a female Moclan.

On 4/13/2022 at 1:09 PM, AnimeMania said:

‘The Orville’ Future Beyond Season 3 Uncertain As Seth MacFarlane & His Cast Focus On Other Projects

Slightly troubling news there is a rumor that the cast of The Orville's options expired back in August and if they wanted to do a Season 4, the cast would have to be reassembled, and new deals would have to be made. 

Seth MacFarlane and Scott Grimes are currently working on the TV Series Ted for Peacock.

I checked Hulu last night. It's been three years since the last episode of season 2 aired, and five since the show first premiered. I understand losing two years because of COVID, but at this point, I don't even really care anymore. I'll watch it, because I really enjoyed the first two seasons, but that excitement died during the long hiatus.

I bet the cast had five-year contracts, which have now expired. Season 3 will be the last season, and years from now, OrvilleCulture (a la TrekCulture on YouTube) will air whiny episodes about how Orville should have been given a fourth season and how the fans are clamoring for it, even though cast and crew have moved on long ago. 

• Love 1

The move to Hulu really killed it, if S3 really is the final nail in the coffin. First, shoving the show to a streaming service meant even fewer people were not just going to be able to watch it but also become aware of it in general. As if that wasn't bad enough, the move to Hulu meant that FOX had no urgency to get the show back on screens, meaning the show had no real timetable for when anyone could expect a return.

We have to remember that, before the pandemic, the show wasn't scheduled to resume airing until November 2020, about a year and a half after S2 concluded. As far as TV schedules are concerned, that's a lifetime and the show ran the very real risk- even then- of losing so much of its audience because too many viewers forgot it existed. The pandemic sure didn't help matters, but The Orville was on thin ice even before then.

I think FOX should have just outright cancelled it after S2 if it wasn't going to commit to an S3 on broadcast TV. Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a popular decision, but as it stands now the show's effectively dead anyway so FOX might as well have cancelled it instead of going through the charade they're going through now.

Further, syndication economics wouldn't come into play with a potential third season. I know that, generally speaking, a "third season guarantees a fourth" but that rule only applies if the show is going to get to at least 66 episodes by the end of S3. Considering that The Orville only had 26 episodes by the end of S2, the show wasn't going to get anywhere near 66 episodes by the end of S3, even with a full season order.

So FOX had no obligation to give it a S3, and even if it did, they could have cancelled the show anyway afterward. I don't see why we couldn't have at least one last broadcast TV run before FOX made the decision to move it to Hulu. The show is going to have to be retooled for Hulu anyway so why not give it one last run in its "standard" form before it takes its new shape?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Danielg342 said:

The move to Hulu really killed it, if S3 really is the final nail in the coffin. First, shoving the show to a streaming service meant even fewer people were not just going to be able to watch it but also become aware of it in general. As if that wasn't bad enough, the move to Hulu meant that FOX had no urgency to get the show back on screens, meaning the show had no real timetable for when anyone could expect a return.

We have to remember that, before the pandemic, the show wasn't scheduled to resume airing until November 2020, about a year and a half after S2 concluded. As far as TV schedules are concerned, that's a lifetime and the show ran the very real risk- even then- of losing so much of its audience because too many viewers forgot it existed. The pandemic sure didn't help matters, but The Orville was on thin ice even before then.

I think FOX should have just outright cancelled it after S2 if it wasn't going to commit to an S3 on broadcast TV. Yeah, it probably wouldn't be a popular decision, but as it stands now the show's effectively dead anyway so FOX might as well have cancelled it instead of going through the charade they're going through now.

I think the reason it got a season 3 (even if on Hulu) and wasn't outright canceled after season 2 is in and of itself a testament to Seth McFarland's determination to keep the project alive.  If not for him it probably would never have gone to a third season in the first place.  And again, Seth McFarland's determination didn't even let the pandemic kill it despite all the delays.  I think we should be counting our blessings we have another season at this point.

• Love 5

So, once again, FOX ruins a show that we like. *sarcasm*

For real though, I only watch FOX on the Sunday nights, and from the ads, there's only reality shows and fluffy sitcoms. Which are cheap to produce. Oh, and the 911 shows. So maybe they only wanted one 'flagship' show. I'm not going to criticize what people like to watch, but there's a show about dominoes. Not the game, which I play all the time. 

Orville just doesn't really fit that model. I don't know if Seth had a development deal with the network or whatever, but I speculate that a TBS or just start on streaming would have been better.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I think the reason it got a season 3 (even if on Hulu) and wasn't outright canceled after season 2 is in and of itself a testament to Seth McFarland's determination to keep the project alive.  If not for him it probably would never have gone to a third season in the first place.  And again, Seth McFarland's determination didn't even let the pandemic kill it despite all the delays.  I think we should be counting our blessings we have another season at this point.

I will not dispute that Seth is a determined guy and that he definitely wanted to keep The Orville going.

However, I'm not sure how much I would equate the current situation to Seth's determination against FOX just simply mishandling the show. The Orville got its renewal notice in May 2019, which cutting it close to the deadline networks usually have to determine if a show gets a renewal or not but it's not atypical for a lot of shows to get their renewals at the 11th hour. Seth was likely key in getting that deal done and to his credit, he did.

The issue that I have is that FOX later decided to shove the series to Hulu instead of committing to a 3rd season on broadcast television. Presuming that FOX and Seth had lengthy discussions about S3- and they likely did- I'm sure FOX knew in April and May 2019 that redirecting the show to Hulu would have been an option. The decision to move the show to Hulu came in July, a mere two months after the renewal notice. I doubt The Orville had anything beyond maybe an outline for S3 and maybe a few scripts at that point- surely they hadn't started production.

So the only thing I can think of is that the move to Hulu was simply FOX's decision, and it likely meant they went back on their word. I find it hard to believe that, in July 2019, FOX and Seth couldn't have worked out any issues that would have prevented the series from continuing on broadcast TV. If FOX made the decision in September or even October, after production had started (or had been delayed), to move the series to Hulu then I could buy the line that "production issues" were the main reason why FOX decided against broadcasting S3.

Instead, it seems like FOX made a promise they couldn't or wouldn't keep and the show is going to suffer for it. Since I don't know what actually happened behind the scenes I can't say for sure that I know what kind of discussions Seth and FOX had about the future of the program, but, at best, FOX's move is simply about them deciding they were going to cancel the show before changing their minds and changing their minds again. There's no other way I can see it, and it truly stinks for everyone involved- including us fans who were unnecessarily strung along.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I will not dispute that Seth is a determined guy and that he definitely wanted to keep The Orville going.

However, I'm not sure how much I would equate the current situation to Seth's determination against FOX just simply mishandling the show. The Orville got its renewal notice in May 2019, which cutting it close to the deadline networks usually have to determine if a show gets a renewal or not but it's not atypical for a lot of shows to get their renewals at the 11th hour. Seth was likely key in getting that deal done and to his credit, he did.

The issue that I have is that FOX later decided to shove the series to Hulu instead of committing to a 3rd season on broadcast television. Presuming that FOX and Seth had lengthy discussions about S3- and they likely did- I'm sure FOX knew in April and May 2019 that redirecting the show to Hulu would have been an option. The decision to move the show to Hulu came in July, a mere two months after the renewal notice. I doubt The Orville had anything beyond maybe an outline for S3 and maybe a few scripts at that point- surely they hadn't started production.

So the only thing I can think of is that the move to Hulu was simply FOX's decision, and it likely meant they went back on their word. I find it hard to believe that, in July 2019, FOX and Seth couldn't have worked out any issues that would have prevented the series from continuing on broadcast TV. If FOX made the decision in September or even October, after production had started (or had been delayed), to move the series to Hulu then I could buy the line that "production issues" were the main reason why FOX decided against broadcasting S3.

Instead, it seems like FOX made a promise they couldn't or wouldn't keep and the show is going to suffer for it. Since I don't know what actually happened behind the scenes I can't say for sure that I know what kind of discussions Seth and FOX had about the future of the program, but, at best, FOX's move is simply about them deciding they were going to cancel the show before changing their minds and changing their minds again. There's no other way I can see it, and it truly stinks for everyone involved- including us fans who were unnecessarily strung along.

I actually agree with your analysis but I've read that the reason FOX went back on its word were budgetary, and Seth wasn't willing to agree to a lower budget to keep the show on broadcast TV.  He had already been assured of a renewal on broadcast at a bigger budget and then had to fight to keep it there.  I understand why he didn't agree to the lower budget if it meant compromising the original quality of the show too much.  I kind of trust his judgment on that one.  Money trumps all in these situations and he had done all anyone could at that point.  No amount of negotiations would change their minds and they were kind of giving him no good option other than agree to switch it to Hulu.

He was actually fortunate that they gave him the Hulu option or else this show would have died back then.  I know of other shows that were canceled for similar reasons and never got that chance.  I can see how Seth might have been forced into that as his only realistic option and took it not realizing that there was going to be a pandemic further complicating and delaying things.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Waw. Still no idea about where this is airing/streaming in Canada.

ETA: Oh. It's on Disney. That's unfortunate. I'm not enough of a Marvel or Star Wars fan to subscribe.

Edited by marinw
On 5/12/2022 at 4:41 PM, marinw said:

ETA: Oh. It's on Disney. That's unfortunate. I'm not enough of a Marvel or Star Wars fan to subscribe.

Source? I can't find any info online saying that.

They also have it here in The Netherlands. Lots of Hulu shows under their Star banner. Except shows that Hulu had already sold to other streamers or broadcasters before Disney took over Hulu.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 5/12/2022 at 2:50 PM, AnimeMania said:

Holy Smacaroni!!!!

Heh, “Holy Smacaroni!!!!” is right!  
I wonder how many Fox men are thinking right about now: “Welp. Chalk up another in our Bad Decision column.”  
Meanwhile, Hulu execs are all: “Nice!” 
while they consider taking more company stock options.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is there a significance to the subtitle “New Horizons”?  
I mean, was some title change legally required when they moved from Fox to Hulu?  
And is there a “they” or is the multitalented Seth MacFarlane doing it all? 
I mean, I know the other actors aren’t his sock puppets. 
Right?   
🤣    
Just kidding.   
Sort of. 😜
I just had to rewatch that fracking awesome trailer.🤩

49 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I don't know who's responsible for making these Orville trailers, but good lord, they are amazing.  Movie trailers wish they were this good!

Edited by shapeshifter
1 hour ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I don't know who's responsible for making these Orville trailers, but good lord, they are amazing.  Movie trailers wish they were this good!

Boy, isn't THAT the truth. This is definitely a theater-quality trailer, and it makes me think that The Orville could very easily make the transition to full feature-length movies if Seth ever wanted to go in that direction after the series itself wraps up!

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, marketdoctor said:

The titles for the first two episodes are on IMDB:

S3E1:  "Electric Sheep."

S3E2: "Shadow Realms".

Make of these what you will.

Titles for all ten episodes, but who knows if they are correct or not.

S03.E01: Electric Sheep
Original Airdate: Thursday, June 2, 2022

S03.E02: Shadow Realms
Original Airdate: June 9, 2022

S03.E03: Mortality Paradox
Original Airdate: June 16, 2022

S03.E04: Gently Falling Rain
Original Airdate: June 23, 2022

S03.E05:  A Tale of Two Topas
Original Airdate: June 30, 2022

S03.E06: The Word of Avis: Part 1
Original Airdate: July 7, 2022

S03.E07: The Word of Avis: Part 2
Original Airdate: July 14, 2022

S03.E08: Midnight Blue  (Possible 2 parter)
Original Airdate: July 21, 2022

S03.E09: Omitted 
Original Airdate: July 28, 2022

S03.E10: Domino   (Possible 2 parter)
Original Airdate: Aug. 4, 2022

S03.E11: Future Unknown
(Season Finale)
Original Airdate: Aug. 11, 2022

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
On 5/12/2022 at 1:03 PM, DoctorAtomic said:

If they're only getting one season because Seth wouldn't compromise on the budget, then it looks like he sure made it count. 

Actually, he's said that he's open to doing more seasons as long as the viewership is there for it. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Actually, he's said that he's open to doing more seasons as long as the viewership is there for it. 

Judging from that trailer, it looks like he's doing his best to make that happen.  I hope he's successful.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

12 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Judging from that trailer, it looks like he's doing his best to make that happen.  I hope he's successful.

If that trailer comes close to living up to the season in terms of production quality, Hulu should be thanking their lucky stars for Seth MacFarlane.

• Love 3

Maybe I'm just in a curmudgeonly mood, but it seemed from the trailer I watched that the show decided to showcase itself more as a standard sci-fi show with a lot of the pew-pew lasers rather than the quirky roundabout homage to Star Trek: TNG and its space morality plays with heaping portions of Seth McF's humor. I mean, there's the "may the Force be with you" line but still.

I don't know if that is a marketing thing to get new viewers and the third season will be building on the first two, or if there's going to be more of a shift in the show's focus. 

7 minutes ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

Maybe I'm just in a curmudgeonly mood, but it seemed from the trailer I watched that the show decided to showcase itself more as a standard sci-fi show with a lot of the pew-pew lasers rather than the quirky roundabout homage to Star Trek: TNG and its space morality plays with heaping portions of Seth McF's humor. I mean, there's the "may the Force be with you" line but still.

I don't know if that is a marketing thing to get new viewers and the third season will be building on the first two, or if there's going to be more of a shift in the show's focus. 

No, it's not just you, I've been wondering about that myself, especially with "New Horizons" added onto the title.  Are they preparing us for the show heading in a new direction?

5 hours ago, Chicago Redshirt said:

5 hours ago, Yeah No said:

No, it's not just you, I've been wondering about that myself, especially with "New Horizons" added onto the title.  Are they preparing us for the show heading in a new direction?

That was a marketing error by FOX. They made the mistake of trying to sell it as a pure comedy or  mere parody of Star Trek, which was NEVER what Seth intended it to be. He himself described the show early on as "a sci-fi/drama cake with comedy frosting." So this has always been the show's intended direction from the beginning. Seth is just putting more emphasis on what he has always considered to be the true nature of the show at its core.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4