Type keyword(s) to search

Spring Baking Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 3/24/2020 at 2:55 PM, CrazyDog said:

They do need to mix up the judges though. Duff gives actual baking critiques, Nancy only cares if there's a lot of bourbon and the colors are springy, and Lorraine tends to be somewhere in the middle.

Fixed that for you! 

• LOL 8
  • Love 1

Phooey. Bummer to lose Aisha; I liked her low-key demeanor.

I thought those were kind of interesting challenges, even if the resulting bicycles were a little...unique XD

Tati's smile is giving me life.

Super hard to get completely matching Paris-Brest “tires” by two bakers.  Some of the park scene backgrounds were quite charming.  I thought it was odd that no one came up to hug Aisha goodbye.  She had to go herself to Arin for a hug and then the others sort of shuffled over to her to say bye.  I liked Aisha but she seemed to have several disappointing issues with hers.  

• Love 4

I'm really enjoying this season (except for Nancy).  I like all the bakers and wish they could all stay because they seem to get along and they all seem to be having fun despite the stress of competition.  Clinton is easy-going and funny which probably helps put them at ease.  I especially like Arin and Molly.

I know someone who is an avid cyclist and has done Paris-Brest twice.  He says it's absolutely grueling.  

• Love 2

I agree--this season's contestants seem to be enjoying themselves. It's fun to watch, even if the challenges themselves are a bit odd. I loved the backgrounds they did for their Paris-Brest. And I liked the one guy who said that they had Paris-Brest at his hotel, but nobody ever ordered them.

• Love 8

I guess I'm in the minority here because I'm having a hard time finding anything to like this season.  The humor seems forced and silly, worse than the kids' season. Clinton (who I actually do like) gets on my nerves every time he opens his mouth.  Maybe it's the mental state I'm in right now, 2020 is not playing nice with the world, that I see annoying instead of the enjoyable.  But I won't continue to inflict my malaise on those of you that enjoy it.  Sorry to be Debbie Downer.

• Love 6
5 minutes ago, trudysmom said:

I guess I'm in the minority here because I'm having a hard time finding anything to like this season.  The humor seems forced and silly, worse than the kids' season. Clinton (who I actually do like) gets on my nerves every time he opens his mouth.  Maybe it's the mental state I'm in right now, 2020 is not playing nice with the world, that I see annoying instead of the enjoyable.  But I won't continue to inflict my malaise on those of you that enjoy it.  Sorry to be Debbie Downer.

I agree. The humor is not humorous. Last week with the keyboard cat meme circa 2007 was a low point. I’m tired of the constant forced puns. It does feel like previous seasons were just more fun. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, oldCJ said:

I’m tired of the constant forced puns.

It's ridiculous. And I would be embarrassed to admit I was related in any way to Arin. Why does FN think we like that stupid shtick?

• Love 2
On 3/26/2020 at 11:31 AM, trudysmom said:

I was thinking Clinton and Arin, lol.  

YES. It seems like Clinton is spending a lot of time talking to Arin over the other bakers. I was waiting for Clinton to ask him out. 

On 3/16/2020 at 12:49 PM, Richness said:

Every time I see Arin, I think of Stephen Stucker's Johnny Henshaw-Jacobs, the slightly unhinged  Air Traffic Controller in Airplane!

DhLqrQsUYAA0hjD?format=jpg&name=360x360

BWAH!

Arin might win and they will bring him back as a judge for years to come. Critiquing someone's dessert... "your garden cake didn't have enough dirt on it, so here's some... your cake looks like Minnie Pearl's old hat!" 

• LOL 5
12 minutes ago, TexasTiffany said:

YES. It seems like Clinton is spending a lot of time talking to Arin over the other bakers. I was waiting for Clinton to ask him out. 

BWAH!

Arin might win and they will bring him back as a judge for years to come. Critiquing someone's dessert... "your garden cake didn't have enough dirt on it, so here's some... your cake looks like Minnie Pearl's old hat!" 

Or he’d run over and unplug someone’s mixer in the middle of them whipping up a batter! 

• LOL 3

For some reason this season is not On Demand with Spectrum and since it airs at the same time as Better Call Saul I am missing it. Ok, they air the old one an hour before the new, so I figured I'd catch up that way. NOPE. This Monday it was GGG with "Guy and Hunter From Home" commentary spliced in. I just want to watch SBC! I hate being behind but now it's two weeks instead of one. Anyone else having this issue?!

I agree with the PP; I need this lighthearted escape, where cake is crucial...

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, 3outta5 said:

For some reason this season is not On Demand with Spectrum and since it airs at the same time as Better Call Saul I am missing it. Ok, they air the old one an hour before the new, so I figured I'd catch up that way. NOPE. This Monday it was GGG with "Guy and Hunter From Home" commentary spliced in. I just want to watch SBC! I hate being behind but now it's two weeks instead of one. Anyone else having this issue?!

This probably won't help you but I never use OnDemand anymore since I got an AppleTV (Roku and Amazon Fire Stick are similar I believe)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

This probably won't help you but I never use OnDemand anymore since I got an AppleTV (Roku and Amazon Fire Stick are similar I believe)

Yeah, I already pay for cable and various streaming and I probably should switch but am just frustrated!

I still don't know anyone's name. Not a good sign!

I just wish they simply would stop 2 things as many have already suggested:

1. Just stop with the twists, and

2. Stop the stupid "running to grab an object that will have an ingredient name on it." 

These contestants are adults, may not be able to run like the wind to grab a jar of peanuts, and it's just silly. Just have Clinton say "Your special ingredient you must use is on your workstation, picked at random."

Done. 

• Love 14
On 3/30/2020 at 7:22 PM, MerBearHou said:

Super hard to get completely matching Paris-Brest “tires” by two bakers.  Some of the park scene backgrounds were quite charming.  I thought it was odd that no one came up to hug Aisha goodbye.  She had to go herself to Arin for a hug and then the others sort of shuffled over to her to say bye.  I liked Aisha but she seemed to have several disappointing issues with hers.  

I noticed that too - very different than the usual reactions when someone gets eliminated. But I  didn't see anyone having an issue with her either. Maybe they all missed their cues or something.

I enjoyed this episode, all in all, but I had never heard of a Paris-Brest before. Loved the guy who said he made them but no one ever ordered them, lol.

I actually liked the talking heads with the two bakers. It was nice to mix it up and see some interaction with the contestants.

I love Sohrob even more. He's got a lowkey sense of humor.

• Love 4

Wow, that was a lot of trolls. The tie-in during the preheat wasn't too bad because the focus was on their assigned color more than the troll-y aspect and otherwise they had the freedom to do what they wanted. But the main heat, good grief. Complete with extended footage from the movie. So springy!

I thought Christine was robbed, actually. I know the rock cake was supposed to be kind of rough and grungy, but I thought it veered a little too far into sloppy. Christine's was very neat, and, distaste for the crass promotion aside, her troll was miles ahead of everyone else.

I loved how Tati was the only one to react to Nancy's "troll" hair. She sort-of clapped and gave a quiet "oooo" while the rest of them just stood there XD. I do think she's in it for the long haul. She easily could (should?) have won that pre-heat. (And shallow note: I could listen to her talk all day.)

(edited)

Instead of bringing in the Troll as the twist, they should have gotten them right from the beginning.  Clearly most of them had no clue how to represent those styles of music, based on what they said and how they initially designed their cakes.  It's a shame that Molly had to go home for clearly representing her character but not being literal.  

And Duff, those were flames, not blood.  Y'know, pyro?

Edited by Rammchick
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

I thought Christine was robbed, actually. I know the rock cake was supposed to be kind of rough and grungy, but I thought it veered a little too far into sloppy. Christine's was very neat, and, distaste for the crass promotion aside, her troll was miles ahead of everyone else.

Agreed on the rock cake. It just looked sloppy to me. The judging of Molly's cake shows how subjective this all is; I'm sure if she had been more of a favorite, the looser interpretation would've been fine.

(edited)

I loved Molly’s personality.  Am so sorry to see her go.  Agreed on Christine’s perfect cake — she was so gracious in defeat.  Arin was even more ON than ever.  He is a great baker though.  Tati is my least favorite — sorry, tracyscott76!

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 5

That cake Arin made left a lot to be desired, decoratively.....those pieces of lace didn’t even match up! But the only comment about it (that I can recall), was Duff, saying he wished the lace had gone all the way around the cake! 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Love 4
5 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Wow, that was a lot of trolls. The tie-in during the preheat wasn't too bad because the focus was on their assigned color more than the troll-y aspect and otherwise they had the freedom to do what they wanted. But the main heat, good grief. Complete with extended footage from the movie. So springy!

I loved how Tati was the only one to react to Nancy's "troll" hair. She sort-of clapped and gave a quiet "oooo" while the rest of them just stood there XD. I do think she's in it for the long haul. She easily could (should?) have won that pre-heat. (And shallow note: I could listen to her talk all day.)

I am glad you said something about Nancy's"troll" hair. I looked up at the T.V. and thought" What has she done to her self...and WHY".

They didn't even try to tie the Troll theme into Spring, did they?  Just re-name it the "Whatever We Feel Like Throwing At You Championship" and be done with it.

And I will need a lot of chocolate and emotional support to get over Nancy's "look" last night.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bumblebee84047 said:

They didn't even try to tie the Troll theme into Spring, did they?  Just re-name it the "Whatever We Feel Like Throwing At You Championship" and be done with it.

And I will need a lot of chocolate and emotional support to get over Nancy's "look" last night.

LOL I thought Nancy looked cute.  I will probably look like that soon - the only hair dye I have at home is pink and I am a few weeks overdue to get my roots done 😷

• LOL 6
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, springbarb said:

Agreed on the rock cake. It just looked sloppy to me. The judging of Molly's cake shows how subjective this all is; I'm sure if she had been more of a favorite, the looser interpretation would've been fine.

Molly wouldn't have been my first choice to go, but I think a further knock against her cake was that the flavors were a little (gasp!) safe. Some of the others who had questionable interpretations (Sohrob, for example) had more interesting flavors, it seemed. So that was 2 strikes for Molly vs. 1 strike for the others.

Molly did provide an example of how much better naturally-occurring humor is than the forced interactions they make them do. When Clinton was asking her if she'd been to a club lately, and she said "Can you imagine?" and they both laughed these loud, natural, laughs - the kind of laugh that is a little ugly because you can't control it, but is more appealing for that very reason. More so than "I'm about to 'spring' into action ha ha ha." (cue "ha ha ha" from 3 other bakers)

And no one else has to like Tati, @MerBearHou...I'll keep her for myself 😛

2 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Molly did provide an example of how much better naturally-occurring humor is than the forced interactions they make them do. When Clinton was asking her if she'd been to a club lately, and she said "Can you imagine?" and they both laughed these loud, natural, laughs

that was a fun interaction. I agree, the forced hilarity is stupid.

• Love 6

I was really sorry to see Molly go.  I never thought she'd win but I just liked her.  I think this is the most likable group of contestants yet.  I'm not sure if they're actually more likable than casts of previous seasons or if it's just that Clinton interacts well and puts them at ease.  He and Arin carrying on crack me up.

I try to ignore Nancy Fuller but that hairdo made it harder than usual.  At least she didn't complain that a hip hop cake wasn't "spring-y."

• Love 8

and as many of us watch multiple cooking shows.... I was distressed to see that we are going to be punished with more Trolls on Top Chef this week. Are people who watch cooking shows that likely to want to watch Trolls? I mean, sure a lot of them are parents, but I don't really see how effective this is.

Get Ready to Rock! 🎸 For this week's Quickfire the Cheftestants are making dishes in celebration of Trolls World Tour! Who will bring together colorful ingredients in perfect harmony & impress guest judge Kelly Clarkson? The World Premiere is in your home April 10th. Go to watchtrolls.com

• Love 3
2 hours ago, mlp said:

I was really sorry to see Molly go.  I never thought she'd win but I just liked her.  I think this is the most likable group of contestants yet.  I'm not sure if they're actually more likable than casts of previous seasons or if it's just that Clinton interacts well and puts them at ease.  He and Arin carrying on crack me up.

I try to ignore Nancy Fuller but that hairdo made it harder than usual.  At least she didn't complain that a hip hop cake wasn't "spring-y."

You must have missed when Lorraine complained that the dark Rock cake wasn't springy - for goodness' sake, you ask them to make cakes based on musical genres!!!!! that has nothing to do with seasons!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, dleighg said:

and as many of us watch multiple cooking shows.... I was distressed to see that we are going to be punished with more Trolls on Top Chef this week. Are people who watch cooking shows that likely to want to watch Trolls? I mean, sure a lot of them are parents, but I don't really see how effective this is.

It's all based on advertising, and who paid Food Network (and Bravo (or Magical Elves)) so that their movie would be advertised in challenges.  It has nothing to do with whether we'd watch the movie or not.

• Love 2

For however many episodes this season has been on, I have disliked Arin.  He is a competent baker, but his OTT, “look it meeee!!! I am ready for my own TV show!”personality is really pushing my tolerance level to maximum capacity.  I just cannot stand him.  Although it appears Clinton is very interested in this guy.  Get a room already! 

I should just stop recording this.  I end up watching it a day or 2 after it airs. I FF through a lot b/c I find so much of it uninteresting.  I am not really invested in any of the bakers. Duff is the only judge I like.  Why I continue to annoy myself?  Especially after being cooped up for 4+ weeks on COVID lockdown, working full time from home, homeschooling my angsty 7th grader and trying to keep my furloughed husband busy so he doesn’t get depressed?  Shouldn’t I be watching stuff that lifts me up and makes me happy?  I think it’s time to go back to reruns of GBBO.  Every single season, every baker and every host and judge make me smile.

• Love 14
(edited)
41 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

For however many episodes this season has been on, I have disliked Arin.  He is a competent baker, but his OTT, “look it meeee!!! I am ready for my own TV show!”personality is really pushing my tolerance level to maximum capacity.  I just cannot stand him.  Although it appears Clinton is very interested in this guy.  Get a room already! 

I should just stop recording this.  I end up watching it a day or 2 after it airs. I FF through a lot b/c I find so much of it uninteresting.  I am not really invested in any of the bakers. Duff is the only judge I like.  Why I continue to annoy myself?  Especially after being cooped up for 4+ weeks on COVID lockdown, working full time from home, homeschooling my angsty 7th grader and trying to keep my furloughed husband busy so he doesn’t get depressed?  Shouldn’t I be watching stuff that lifts me up and makes me happy?  I think it’s time to go back to reruns of GBBO.  Every single season, every baker and every host and judge make me smile.

I have such low expectations for this season that I also watch many days after an episode airs. My gripe is not necessarily the bakers this season but I’m just DONE with the twists, the themes, the frantic racing to choose a color, a flavor, an animal. And when I watch, I FF through all the cheesy laughing at poor Clinton’s scripted “jokes” and puns. Oh Clinton, you are better than this (aren’t you?) Yes, @BusyOctober, you should watch something that gives you pleasure, especially now. We are all going mad. I have started rewatching GBBO on Netflix and what a delightful escape it is. And for a non-cooking show, check out the utterly charming The Repair Shop, also set in the UK. Other than Baked in Vermont which is no longer in production, I personally cannot name one charming cooking/baking show set in the US that does not insult my intelligence. Nothing on Spring Baking Championship spurs me to bake or try something new, which is terribly sad for a food network.

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Love 7
11 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

Other than Baked in Vermont which is no longer in production, I personally cannot name one charming cooking/baking show set in the US that does not insult my intelligence. Nothing on Spring Baking Championship spurs me to bake or try something new, which is terribly sad for a food network.

You could watch Nailed It!  At least you know it's "supposed" to be stupid.

• LOL 5
14 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I have such low expectations for this season that I also watch many days after an episode airs. My gripe is not necessarily the bakers this season but I’m just DONE with the twists, the themes, the frantic racing to choose a color, a flavor, an animal. And when I watch, I FF through all the cheesy laughing at poor Clinton’s scripted “jokes” and puns. Oh Clinton, you are better than this (aren’t you?) Yes, @BusyOctober, you should watch something that gives you pleasure, especially now. We are all going mad. I have started rewatching GBBO on Netflix and what a delightful escape it is. And for a non-cooking show, check out the utterly charming The Repair Shop, also set in the UK. Other than Baked in Vermont which is no longer in production, I personally cannot name one charming cooking/baking show set in the US that does not insult my intelligence. Nothing on Spring Baking Championship spurs me to bake or try something new, which is terribly sad for a food network.

Another baking show I love is on Netflix is Zumbo's Just Desserts. They recently released a second season.

These are amateurs who make the most amazing creations, and then the bottom two (usually) have to take the Zumbo test, where they have to recreate a ridiculously complex dessert. No cheesy jokes, no twists, just some amazing baking.

You won't see a blondie covered in buttercream on that show!

• Love 11

"What happened to the orange peel?"

"I don't know, man."

Oh, Tati XD

Very happy that she won this round, and also glad Val is through. They are my two horses in this race, although Sohrob and Christine are also fine. Arin is...a bit much, but he does have skill.

The flirting, though. I know they've had contestants make eyes at Bobby and Jesse before, but I don't recall it ever being really mutual between contestant and host before. Or as obvious.

Edited by tracyscott76

I'd like to know how none of the judges noticed the coffee grounds in the one woman's dessert.  (can't think of her name)  She even said it was gritty after talking to Clinton.  I find it hard to believe that none of them picked up on it.  

3 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

The flirting, though.

Clinton has been with his life partner for many years.  I don't think it's flirting so much as both of them have the same silly streak.  They make me laugh.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, mlp said:

Clinton has been with his life partner for many years.  I don't think it's flirting so much as both of them have the same silly streak.  They make me laugh.

Flirting with someone doesn't automatically mean that they are going to (or want to) hook up or anything; it's often just their personality, and still happens even if they're in a relationship. And what Clinton and Arin are doing sure looks like flirting to me. *shrugs*

5 hours ago, mlp said:

I'd like to know how none of the judges noticed the coffee grounds in the one woman's dessert.  (can't think of her name)  She even said it was gritty after talking to Clinton.  I find it hard to believe that none of them picked up on it.

Christine. Maybe it was less noticeable in the finished product with the frosting and fruit, as opposed to just the brownie with nothing else.

6 hours ago, mlp said:

This - I love the back and forth between the two.  Clinton isn't a judge so I don't have a problem with him having a friendship of sorts.  They seem to spend hours together (all of the bakers and Clinton) so a bit of fun is necessary for mental health.  

• Love 2
On 4/8/2020 at 8:45 AM, Spunkygal said:

Thanks....I’ll give it a try!

you're going to have fun!

On 4/8/2020 at 2:01 PM, springbarb said:

Yes, Zumbo's is AMAZING. I was so pleased when the second season was released.

I burned thru both seasons the first week of quarantine! Loved it!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Arin is...a bit much, but he does have skill.

That's how I feel. Arin is very talented and has made some beautiful desserts. It's his manner that is annoying. If he turns his volume down a bit he might be the next Jason Smith.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

"What happened to the orange peel?"

"I don't know, man."

Oh, Tati XD

I had a genuine lol moment when she said that!  First time in the history of this show!?  Might be!

I might not think any of the bakers are AMAZING TALENTS this year but I think they're doing a great job of just keeping it low-key fun.  Yes, I could do without the flirting and the borderline-psychotic giggling.  But there's not really any bitchiness to speak of, and Clinton brings a lot to the show by having actual relevant conversations with the contestants.  Thinking back to like that puppet guy, I can't remember his name, it seemed like he couldn't be less interested in being part of a baking show so he was strictly a host and nothing more.

• Love 7
58 minutes ago, ruffy666 said:

Thinking back to like that puppet guy, I can't remember his name, it seemed like he couldn't be less interested in being part of a baking show so he was strictly a host and nothing more.

Are you thinking of Jeff Dunham? I thought he was a total mismatch being a host for a show like this. What were they thinking? 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

Sohrob

Every time Clinton says his name I think he's conversationally saying "So, Rob..."

Every. Single. Time.

Anyway, really like all the chefs left--they're all talented and likeable, so I don't really have a favorite.  I just wish I could taste these desserts they're making!

• Love 5