Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Always a Catch

mxc90
  • Start Topic

A massive car pile up on the freeway impacts someone dear to the firehouse family. Brett and Foster encounter a harrowing call, while Kidd and Severide find their relationship being tested.

From where Chole's car was positioned and the many wrecked cars behind her, it seems she was at fault for the multi car pile-up by trying to drive, talk on the phone, and take the many pastry orders from 51 (of course she made sure to blurt out some other driver). Was this show trying to pay homage to CHIPS with the freeway crash?

Did they really need to take the rigs out of service for Chole? I can see Cruz taking some time off but the others.?

Severide and Tyler need to get in a fist fight. 

Everyone knows Emily except the people in 51.

Walmart's bags are shown/named dropped a lot on this show.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, mxc90 said:

Did they really need to take the rigs out of service for Chole? I can see Cruz taking some time off but the others.?

Apparently it takes 10 firefighters to carry a 120 pound woman to the helicopter.  And it's fine for them to do that in the middle of a multi-car pileup and then immediately all go to the hospital instead of staying on the scene.  I'm sure all the people still needing help/trapped in cars really appreciated that.  And if they needed a helicopter, how come Cruz and Boden got there moments after Chloe?  Immediately followed by the firefighters who for some reason didn't seem to need to spend any time clearing up their equipment etc before heading to the hospital.

I've never liked Stella, and was hating her for apologizing to Severide for being defensive. Her confronting him later helped me come around a little.  Severide is a complete dick.

Edited by Brookside
Clarity
  • Love 4

So yet again a family member/loved one/sibling of our merry band of misfits is put in peril? 

That script writing for dummies book must be getting worn out....or at least the 'how to write a cliche' chapter is.

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Brookside said:

Apparently it takes 10 firefighters to carry a 120 pound woman to the helicopter.  And it's fine for them to do that in the middle of a multi-car pileup and then immediately all go to the hospital instead of staying on the scene. 

Apparently, it's also a good idea to steal a car and fold a child in half in a blanket like a goddamn taco rather than remain in a medical setting and wait 10 minutes for another ambulance.

• Love 9

I was really hoping somebody at Grandberg was taking photos of the lovely couple, so that the headline tomorrow would be "CFD Captain in Adulterous Affair With Reporter! Is he feeding her false information on the trailer fires?"  Apparently they decided to go the more direct route.  By the way, Casey, close the freakin' door!  I'm gonna love seeing everyone's faces when the engine and squad pull up to Casey's apartment.

That babysitter has some splainin' to do when the parents get home.

Just for reference, the difference between 60mph and 50 mph is 8 seconds per mile.  Was it really worth it to leave all your lifesaving gear in the ambo (unlocked, by the way)and drive like NASCAR to save maybe 40 seconds? Oh, and there may be some paperwork involved here when the guy gets his car back.

I get that the ambulance personnel may work daily shifts (although they seem to have bunks at the house, too), but Boden should be on the same 24 hr. shifts as the firefighters. Yet, there he is at Molly's after the day is done.

I had to laugh a bit at Emily's reason for staying on as a medic:  "The med school people were all cutthroat, and I was just like them."  And the fire department is different, how?

• Love 3

Dating someone from 51 is almost as dangerous as dating one of the Cartwrights. At least in Bonanza they could come up with a novel way of killing them like getting runover by a horse or getting cholera or something.

How many waived or girlfriends got offed or seriously hurt in this show? Casey’s wife. Severides girlfriend got cancer. Mouch’a Trudy got beat half to death. Herman’s wife got crushed by a hundred cases of Vita water in her garage.

Wait I think I made that up. Well at least Casey’s new girl will get smallpox or something. Watch and see. This fire is just the MacGuffin.

Edited by langford peel
  • Love 8

So Chloe has major head surgery; from start to finish, in the amount of time, it took the crew to get from Med back to the stationhouse.

Also, why was she the only victim on medivac with the entire crew carrying her to the copter?

Edited by preeya
  • Love 4

Well, chief Boden did order a medevac specifically for "a female patient with a head wound".  On this show, the copter crew might have said "Nope, this is a special trip, reserved for a female with a head wound.  You'll have to order another ship for the guys with eviscerated abdomens and amputated limbs.  Unless you want to commandeer a vehicle, of course."

• Love 2

I don't understand the Severide story. I seem to remember Tyler had threatened Severide and yet, he tells Stella that Kelly threatened him. I think Tyler seems a bit more controlling and a jerk than Severide. I wonder if Severide just has lost interest in Stella already. 

It does appear that it was Chole's fault in the accident but things sure seem to happen too quickly. 

The kid who got hurt, they sure like to make us think police, fire and paramedics can do things when they really can't. 

I fast forwarded through the Naomi and Matt parts. But really? Get out of the  building and start kissing when they can possibly see you. 

I have no idea how the fire happened so fast when Matt didn't smell it at least first. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I don't understand the Severide story. I seem to remember Tyler had threatened Severide.

I fast forwarded through the Naomi and Matt parts. But really? Get out of the  building and start kissing when they can possibly see you. 

I have no idea how the fire happened so fast when Matt didn't smell it at least first. 

I don't remember exact threats, but 'other guy' made it clear that he's after Stella. Not sure how much interest Severide has left in their relationship. 

Whether or not the fire was set by an arsonist or if it started accidentally... why doesn't Mr. Fireman have a smoke alarm in his apartment? (or her apt)

Edited by HollyG
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, langford peel said:

How many waived or girlfriends got offed or seriously hurt in this show? Casey’s wife. Severides girlfriend got cancer. Mouch’a Trudy got beat half to death. Herman’s wife got crushed by a hundred cases of Vita water in her garage.

Also, there was the Russian (I think) woman (Casey liked) found murdered.

18 hours ago, Brookside said:

I'm sure all the people still needing help/trapped in cars really appreciated that.

Cruz was so unprofessional, especially to the young girl and old lady and when the guy didn't respond to his Chloe's description, I was surprised he didn't grab his cloth back and tell him: I need this for Chloe.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I don't understand the Severide story. I seem to remember Tyler had threatened Severide and yet, he tells Stella that Kelly threatened him. I think Tyler seems a bit more controlling and a jerk than Severide. I wonder if Severide just has lost interest in Stella already. 

It does appear that it was Chole's fault in the accident but things sure seem to happen too quickly. 

The kid who got hurt, they sure like to make us think police, fire and paramedics can do things when they really can't. 

What happened to his smoke detectors? Puhleeze.

Sorry, didn't read all the posts before posting. 

Edited by Reality police
Redundancy
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Waterston Fan said:

I think Severide is depressed.  He's obviously a very conflicted person; I don't think his issues actually have anything to do with Stella.  I'm curious to see if the writers can actually pull off a story with some depth.

• Love 2
On 12/6/2018 at 12:23 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

Apparently, it's also a good idea to steal a car and fold a child in half in a blanket like a goddamn taco rather than remain in a medical setting and wait 10 minutes for another ambulance.

Well, technically, the kid didn't have 10 minutes, even in a medical setting. That's why Sylvie had to improvise to get them a mode of transport to get them to the hospital to give the kid a chance.

• Love 2

Is there some licensing rule with the show so that they can't use actual Chicago expressway names? Like the Dan Ryan, Kennedy, Eisenhower, Edens or Bishop Ford.. Hearing the dispatcher at the start say there's a crash on Highway 57, I was like where is that?

Very happy that Chloe did not get killed off. Keeps her in the mix with Cruz. And Sylvie is trying to move on with the chaplain, finally. Nice to see Lily back in the flesh. I will say the loved ones finding themselves in peril is a little excessive, but it's nice to see these non-Firehouse relationships get some traction.

We'll see what happens with Matt and Naomi. Though if Derek Haas' interview is to be believed, he still wants to have Matt hung up on Dawson. Don't know why. And Matt seeing his house on fire isn't really a cliffhanger. We all know he'll be able to get out, and prove the trailer family started the fire, and have Jay or Adam from PD arrest them for attempted murder.

And I agree with people saying it should not have taken an entire company to carry one 120-pound woman. Other victims need help. Chloe is considered part of the family, but they can't single her out.

• Love 7

This crew spends more time rescuing each other (no matter how peripheral to the main cast) and rushing to Med and hang around than they do on the people they’ve sworn to protect. C’mon, Show.

For plot, it would actually be awesome to have Chloe arrested for causing the accident (and have to pay the costs of the first responders haha) because she was on her phone, not in handsfree mode. I wonder if we’ll find out what her mom meant by “after all she’s been through” (and Cruz sort of pulling back at that was priceless, like he didn’t really want someone with baggage or drama in her past).

I like Stella but don’t really give a flying F what happens to Kelly and her. They got boring.

Trailer family was hilariously like the Ivana’s Family kids. Sure, start a fire, that’ll do it. I wonder if House 51 will rescue them and then rush to Med and hang around.

• Love 6

vlcsnap-00005.thumb.jpg.167c0257541b0abed7c957d93e2871d9.jpg

Wasn't there someone following Matt & Naomi when they left the diner? This guy paid and left immediately after them.

He was sitting at the counter.

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, preeya said:

vlcsnap-00005.thumb.jpg.167c0257541b0abed7c957d93e2871d9.jpg

Wasn't there someone following Matt & Naiomi when they left the diner? This guy paid and left immediately after them.

He was sitting at the counter.

Yes and he was quite clearly following them. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

I wonder if we’ll find out what her mom meant by “after all she’s been through” (and Cruz sort of pulling back at that was priceless, like he didn’t really want someone with baggage or drama in her past).

Well you can't actually be a character on this show if you don't have baggage or drama, it's not possible, and you also must have a relative/friend clue in our merry band of misfits at the earliest opportunity so we can all wait with baited breath to find out what this said baggage and drama is.

• Love 2

So just watched this.....

The Good......The dog was cute, and that's it.

The Bad.....everything that happened when the dog wasn't on screen.

At least this weeks villains weren't mustache twirling CFD white shirts, they were mustache twirling shady business people instead. Do they think the audience is that stupid that they need to make every nemesis cartoonishly bad so we get it?

And then I see the outpouring of love on Twitter for this show and how incredible and shocking this finale was I realise that yes, the audience is that stupid.

• Love 6
On 12/6/2018 at 12:15 AM, rhys said:

Did the trailer family follow Casey & the reporter & start the fire? Also why wouldn't a smart muckety muck like Casey live in an apartment with better egress?

If it was the trailer park family I don't get their logic. I mean if Matt and his girlfriend get killed, once the CFD proves it is arson, won't the family that they are investigating (that just threatened them)become the prime suspects? Especially if it is discovered that smoke alarms were disabled first. And since his ex-wife is the world's greatest fire inspector.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:23 AM, CoyoteBlue said:

The funny part there was that there was at least 2 ambulanced sitting in the hospital parking lot when Brett got there. Not to mention what about the helicopter? It sure got to Chloe's accident fast.

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:40 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Did the trailer family follow Casey & the reporter & start the fire? Also why wouldn't a smart muckety muck like Casey live in an apartment with better egress?

The trailer family? You mean Ivanka and her two brothers? (When did Eric grow a beard?)

9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

If it was the trailer park family I don't get their logic. I mean if Matt and his girlfriend get killed, once the CFD proves it is arson, won't the family that they are investigating (that just threatened them)become the prime suspects? Especially if it is discovered that smoke alarms were disabled first. And since his ex-wife is the world's greatest fire inspector.

Good point. Maybe the fire was spontaneous combustion- started by Dawson's free-flowing rage for having someone else's body in the sack with her precious Casey.

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, MaryHedwig said:

The trailer family? You mean Ivanka and her two brothers? (When did Eric grow a beard?)

Omgosh, thank you! I'm so glad it wasn't just me. Ha! I noticed they didn't want Eric to speak much, eh? Ah good times. Ivanka was sure fast to lose her cool.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, MaryHedwig said:

Good point. Maybe the fire was spontaneous combustion- started by Dawson's free-flowing rage for having someone else's in the sack with her precious Casey.

I would laugh my ass off if the fire was a result of something like a candle left unattended  (because Matt was trying to be romantic right?). Or better yet someone else with a long time grudge like the kids of the fire fighter guy who died in the pilot. But unfortunately the show isn't that smart.

Edited by Kel Varnsen
  • Love 2

Loved Boden and Tuesday, and the nod to Pouch. Aside from that...

Still snoring through Severide and Stella, and for the most part Casey and the reporter. (Although I did get the feeling maybe there's a twist coming, like the siblings won't end up being cartoon evildoers after all and it's someone else in the company who re-sold the trailers, or possibly one of the three behind the others' backs.)

Couldn't they have let the guy ride in the passenger seat, or gone back to get him after the kid was safe? They should have gone back to secure the ambulance anyway.

On December 7, 2018 at 10:44 AM, MakeMeLaugh said:

For plot, it would actually be awesome to have Chloe arrested for causing the accident (and have to pay the costs of the first responders haha) because she was on her phone, not in handsfree mode. I wonder if we’ll find out what her mom meant by “after all she’s been through” (and Cruz sort of pulling back at that was priceless, like he didn’t really want someone with baggage or drama in her past).

Agreed on both points. I was surprised nobody told her to hang up the phone (especially with the big to-do with the girl who was texting an episode or two back) and mom? If I'm lying insensate in a hospital bed after major surgery, please do not take this opportunity to tell the guy I started dating recently enough that you hadn't met him yet that he's the only good thing in my life. Thank you.

Edited by Emma9
  • Love 3

Decent episode.

Can't say I care if Stella and Severide break-up. I've never liked Stella.

When Casey opened his bedroom door, I thought he was going to see Dawson, but it was a fire instead.

Edited by Quark
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:
4 hours ago, Sake614 said:

Clearly I missed something along the way...what happened to Pouch???

I think that they gave Pouch away to a little kid who fell in love with her. I think; I could be wrong. 

Yeah, they gave him away to a boy whose mom was killed.

I had totally forgotten about the stupid Stella/Severide/Tyler storyline.  Severide clearly has some major issues, and Stella knows he isn't handling his dad's death well.  Just let them break up already.

I liked how Kelly was talking to Matt about not being able to find happiness outside the firehouse, and Matt brings up all the happily married men in their house.  Gee, guess what they all have in common - they didn't date/marry their coworkers.  Matt and his sham of a marriage should be the last person to be giving relationship advice to Kelly.

I liked the setup of the accident scene- it had some nice shots, but they still fail on the writing to make it realistic.  They could have at least mentioned that Chloe was the only major injury and everyone else was ambulatory to explain the medevac and quick cleanup.  We heard Boden tell Cruz he would drive him, and told Casey to take over the accident scene and helping the rest of the victims, but they all show up at the hospital about the same time.  And she was going to bring them pastries, of course the entire house has to shut down for Chloe.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, athelyna said:

Yeah, they gave him away to a boy whose mom was killed.

I had totally forgotten about the stupid Stella/Severide/Tyler storyline.  Severide clearly has some major issues, and Stella knows he isn't handling his dad's death well.  Just let them break up already.

I liked how Kelly was talking to Matt about not being able to find happiness outside the firehouse, and Matt brings up all the happily married men in their house.  Gee, guess what they all have in common - they didn't date/marry their coworkers.  Matt and his sham of a marriage should be the last person to be giving relationship advice to Kelly.

I liked the setup of the accident scene- it had some nice shots, but they still fail on the writing to make it realistic.  They could have at least mentioned that Chloe was the only major injury and everyone else was ambulatory to explain the medevac and quick cleanup.  We heard Boden tell Cruz he would drive him, and told Casey to take over the accident scene and helping the rest of the victims, but they all show up at the hospital about the same time.  And she was going to bring them pastries, of course the entire house has to shut down for Chloe.

And this seems to be the theme every time somebody from the firehouse or a close family member is in the hospital. The whole firehouse takes itself out of service and they all go wait in the hospital waiting room. To sit in the waiting room and do nothing, while a number of calls that should go to you to save others are rerouted, puts other victims at risk. I'm pretty sure most firehouses believe life must go on and we still have jobs to do. So-and-so wouldn't want us all waiting here for him doing nothing while others need our help.

• Love 6

It's very frustrating all around, because clearly part of the problem is that Kelly is still upset and feeling guilty about his father's death. So while it's not too surprising, it's still frustrating that he has handled this situation so badly. And it's frustrating that Stella is so oblivious. This Tyler guy might as well be wearing a sandwich sign that says "I'm after Stella" and she's all "Hmm, I don't see it." Isn't she supposed to have known this guy for years? And in all that time she never picked up the signal? The whole thing is dumb, all the way around.

Whether or not the fire was set by an arsonist or if it started accidentally... why doesn't Mr. Fireman have a smoke alarm in his apartment? (or her apt)

Is that Casey's apartment or Naomi's? Because if it's Casey's, there's really no excuse for having no smoke detectors. For the record, it does not look like the same apartment/loft he shared with Dawson, unless he's moved.

At least this weeks villains weren't mustache twirling CFD white shirts, they were mustache twirling shady business people instead. Do they think the audience is that stupid that they need to make every nemesis cartoonishly bad so we get it?

Hee. Subtlety is not this show's strength, that's for sure.

• Love 2

I really hope the apartment was Naomi's because I didn't hear a smoke detector going off. And I would expect a captain in CFD to have detectors installed and working! I'm not an expert, but I would think with a raging fire like that one, Casey would 1. smell the smoke after he woke up and 2. the bedroom doorknob were have been super hot! Those two things alone plus being a firefighter should have told him not to open the door!

I'm over Stella and Severide. I'm totally over Tyler. 

Again, I'm no expert, but if there is a multi car collison on an expressway, wouldn't the most injured people be in the cars in the front - the ones that caused the initial accident? I didn't understand why the crew was tending to the people walking around, etc while Cruz was screaming for Chloe at the truck. Why didn't they all run up to the front where it looked like a way more serious situation and work their way back? And why would 51 be the only ones dispatched for such a major accident. I would think more than one ambulance would be needed. 

• Love 2