Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

Thea lost her father and brother when she was 12.  She was kidnapped twice in s2, dealt with having her mother on trial for the Undertaking, found out that Malcolm was her bio-dad and she had been lied to all her life, watched Slade murder her mother in front of her; went away with Malcolm and was trained by him via the hot wax method, found out that Malcolm had drugged her to murder her brother's friend

Thea also witnessed the murder of her other boyfriend, Oliver's campaign manager.  It's easy to forget since I still can't remember his name.  

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

I'm so grateful we never have to deal with Lance family drama again. God that was one of the most atrocious things about season 2

Nooooooooooooo! Don't put that into the universe! There's the possibility of Lance family drama with the sugar-free substitute. 

Just now, leopardprint said:

Nooooooooooooo! Don't put that into the universe! There's the possibility of Lance family drama with the sugar-free substitute. 

HE HIT HER IN THE HEAD THAT'S THE BEST KIND OF DRAMA

• Love 12
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Thea also witnessed the murder of her other boyfriend, Oliver's campaign manager.  It's easy to forget since I still can't remember his name.  

I just remember not knowing if he was dead or just knocked out. I feel like that wasn't done very well. 

• Love 1

So that woman who wrote that CBR article on the most annoying couples is actually the most pathetic journo wannabe I've seen ever

Go to the tweet and click on the photos lol. It's so embarrassing

I continue to marvel at people who post blogs and articles for the whole world to see, get criticism for what they write, then get pissy that people dare disagree with something they've boldly thrown out into the universe.  If you're that thin-skinned then maybe you shouldn't be writing for a website/blog (or tweeting as a reporter/blogger).  If you post a controversial article, you're assured that a lot of people are going to disagree with you so complaining that people are being mean to you about said article makes you look like a halfwit.  

• Love 10

I can't believe I just went and looked, but her "mean" tweets weren't even that mean. Compared to the vitriol I've seen online, that was nothing. A few people called her pathetic, but the majority (and there were only, like, 9 or so total) were just saying not to give her article clicks. But you do you random writer on the internet. 

• Love 7
(edited)

She's a troll earning money through hits. If you go through her responses, she admits that she wrote it expecting some fans to disagree, I assume vocally.  1) Write a hitpiece about Olicity, 2) Tweet the link using the Olicity tag, 3) Watch the fans' angry responses roll in, 4) Write about the angry responses, 5) Profit!

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 13
6 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

She's a troll earning money through hits. If you go through her responses, she admits that she wrote it expecting some fans to disagree.  1) Write a hitpiece about Olicity, 2) Tweet the link using the Olicity tag, 3) Watch the fans' angry responses roll in, 4) Write about the angry responses, 5) Profit!

#Pathetic.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

To me, if Sara hadn't died and Quentin wasnt an alcoholic, Dinah up and leaving wouldn't be a big deal. But coupled with Sara/Oliver death, Q turning to alcohol and then her mother leaving her to pick up the pieces coupled with her "why does everyone leave me" it got to her and effected her to a degree. I don't think it's a HUGE traumatic experience but small enough to cast doubt in herself.

In the deleted scene from s1, Dinah said that she left town because Laurel was living her own life in law school and Quentin lost himself in his job looking for the Dollmaker and there was no one who needed or wanted her in their life.  Quentin hit the bottle after she left and the Dollmaker case went sour.  It was implied that if Laurel had needed her, Dinah wouldn't have left town.  Granted it wasn't pleasant having to pick up her drunk father from bars but Laurel was an adult who had moved out form her family home by then.

When I did my original list, I picked traumas up to the age of 27, which is how old Oliver, Laurel and Tommy were in the pilot episode because it seemed the best way to compare everyone on the show.  A trauma at a younger age, e.g. Thea losing her father and brother at 12 and having her mother withdraw from her or Tommy losing his mother and in essence his father at 8, can adversely affect a person more than one at a later age. e.g. sister and boyfriend dying at 22.

• Love 2
(edited)

In popular culture, women can actually be smart
'Star Wars' and CW's 'Arrow,' show that women can do more than just physically kick butt.

Megan Rickards Curated by Evan Morgan  Published on: 5 June 2017
http://us.blastingnews.com/opinion/2017/06/in-popular-culture-women-can-actually-be-smart-001740951.html

In times not too long ago, women were being depicted as the weak, submissive character whose main purpose was simply to fall in love, be captured, and then get saved by the big, strong man. Thanks to modern film series such as #Star Wars and Harry Potter, and TV series such as "#Arrow" and "The Flash," the woman who can not only save herself, but also intellectually solve her own problems is becoming an accepted reality.
For a more weekly glimpse at an intellectually strong woman, one has to look no further than CW's hit show "Arrow," which has just completed its fifth season as of May 24 of this year. What a doozy it was.

What is important, however, is that this is a show that continually highlights the brilliantly skillful Felicity Smoak. She is a character who started off on the show as an extremely humble IT woman with a penchant for foot-in-mouth syndrome that quickly rose to being the one everybody went to for technical advice.

If someone or something needs to be found, she is the person you want. As cliche as it is, if she can't find it, then it is not meant to be found. With the way this show has her character set up, the fact that she is a woman is completely irrelevant.
With the above as positive and successful examples, one has to wonder why more companies aren't incorporating this into their own storylines. By doing this, it gives girls and women of all ages someone to look up to and aspire to be, even if they won't be leading a rebellion or crime fighting organization anytime soon. The medium of film and television both have a global reach, and it gives ladies everywhere permission to be as smart and intellectually strong as they please. In movies and TV shows such as these, they are shown that it is alright -- acceptable even -- to be just as good as the boys (if not better) when it comes to using their brains. We women can do so much more than simply kick butt. #Popular Culture

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
17 hours ago, lemotomato said:

She's a troll earning money through hits. If you go through her responses, she admits that she wrote it expecting some fans to disagree, I assume vocally.  1) Write a hitpiece about Olicity, 2) Tweet the link using the Olicity tag, 3) Watch the fans' angry responses roll in, 4) Write about the angry responses, 5) Profit!

She essentially said on her Twitter account that using Olicity helps to "pay her bills". 

• Love 2
(edited)

Information on the Season 5 DVD/Blu-Ray release:

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment has announced new Blu-Ray and DVD details for the complete fifth season of Arrow. The Blu-Ray and DVD will be available on September 19, exactly two weeks after The Flash Season 3 comes out.

Along with all 23 episodes, the Blu-Ray and DVD will come with some amazing features, including a closer look at Adrian Chase a.k.a. Prometheus, the big bad of the past season. They also revealed that official cover art which you can find below.

BLU-RAY & DVD FEATURES
• Arrow: 2016 Comic-Con Panel
• The New Team Arrow
• Allied: The Invasion Complex (Arrow)
• Returning to the Roots of Arrow: Prometheus
• Deleted Scenes
• Gag Reel

Source

Edited by strikera0
5 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I'm not sure how great a business model it is to wait that long when the show dropped on Netflix last week.  But that's just me. 

I think it has to do with having it released closer  to Christmas maybe *shrug*

From a business perspective, the logic stands that the DVD/Blu-ray should come with additional features that justify buying it over just using Netflix, but guess not in this case. Maybe they expect people to just buy it for DVD collecting purposes?

• Love 2
On 6/6/2017 at 6:10 AM, calliope1975 said:

I can't believe I just went and looked, but her "mean" tweets weren't even that mean. Compared to the vitriol I've seen online, that was nothing. A few people called her pathetic, but the majority (and there were only, like, 9 or so total) were just saying not to give her article clicks. But you do you random writer on the internet. 

She was literally begging for them to reply negatively so she could cry about how awful the olicity fandom is. She wrote about 15 ships on her "article" yet she only used the olicity hashtag to gain traffic and draw attetnion. Her tweet had 0 likes for 20 hours in a row and once olicity fans started replying to her thus giving her importance, she suddenly started getting likes and RTs from Westallen and Laurel fans who stalk olicity accounts.

Sometimes apathy is the best way to deal with these type of people. 

• Love 5
(edited)
2 hours ago, Belinea said:

Maybe Arrow will air the episode a week later than in the US.

That's what I'm thinking too. CTV airs a bunch of ABC shows a few hours earlier than in the US (Grey's, OUAT, HTGAWM), but it's been a while since they've been allowed to air things significantly earlier. The last time I remember that happening was Castle, which was airing a day before ABC for a while. 

I guess we'll see when they release their premiere dates. I have both CTV & CW but I'm selfishly hoping we get it early. (If we do, CTV.ca posts full episodes the next day and their player is great, if you have an IP blocker.)

Edited by Trisha
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Trisha said:

That's what I'm thinking too. CTV airs a bunch of ABC shows a few hours earlier than in the US (Grey's, OUAT, HTGAWM), but it's been a while since they've been allowed to air things significantly earlier. The last time I remember that happening was Castle, which was airing a day before ABC for a while. 

I guess we'll see when they release their premiere dates. I have both CTV & CW but I'm selfishly hoping we get it early. (If we do, CTV.ca posts full episodes the next day and their player is great, if you have an IP blocker.)

I'm not sure that they'll air the episode a week later, actually. I'm trying to recall exactly which show, but there was a show a year or two back that would actually air a whole day earlier than in the US. I think it was Agents of SHIELD (and even this season, I watched AoS three hours before it aired at the typical time). I think there was another show that I'd get to watch a whole day earlier. I think maybe How To Get Away With Murder? So it's rare, but not uncommon. I don't think they'd go a full six days later than the US. A day is a big enough difference for US viewers to not watch the episode first. Six days for non-US viewers would make a much bigger impact on CTV. 

But honestly, this kind of works out better. I can watch Riverdale and then Arrow back to back, so it gives me another Wednesday show (and it ensures that I watch Riverdale live and not on Netflix the next day). As for Thursdays, I watch Supernatural occasionally but it's not a must watch live show. Too bad they just moved This Is Us to Tuesdays, or else it would really give me a reason to watch Arrow every Wednesday (and I could also watch Legends live on Tuesdays).

Damnit, TIU! You ruined what could have been a solid Fall TV season of live watching! 

7 hours ago, Belinea said:
Maybe Arrow will air the episode a week later than in the US.

They would risk losing their audience though.  Most people would just watch the US station in Thursday instead. If you're into social media about a show, you're not going to wait and be a week late when the conversation has already moved on..

It's not uncommon for shows to air a day earlier in Canada. Lucifer aired on Sunday nights this season, a day before it aired on Fox.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

They would risk losing their audience though.  Most people would just watch the US station in Thursday instead. If you're into social media about a show, you're not going to wait and be a week late when the conversation has already moved on..

It's not uncommon for shows to air a day earlier in Canada. Lucifer aired on Sunday nights this season, a day before it aired on Fox.

Days of Our Lives used to air a day early in Canada too (does it still??? I think it's been a good decade plus since I watched it).  There are a bunch of shows that have aired on CTV or Global a day before the American airing, some of which have been named here but I am sure there are more. I can't imagine CTV making viewers wait six days to watch the episode when they are aware viewers would just turn into the CW airing on Thursdays. 

• Love 1

The Young and the Restless has always aired at 4:30 p.m. the day before it airs in the U.S.  I remember one year when I was a T.A. and the tutorial was scheduled for 4 - 5.  I had to change the time because otherwise they would have skipped it.

• Love 1
(edited)

From print issue of new TV Guide, June 12-25, 2017 (Double Issue) - "Cheers & Jeers" by Damian Holbrook...

Jeers to Stephen Amell
for making American Ninja Warrior look easy. The genetically blessed Arrow star cruised through ANW's celebrity-edition course like he was, well, a highly trained superhero. How can mere mortals compete with that?

I think that SA deserved a Cheer, not a Jeer. I don't know if Damian Holbrook was trying to be funny, but he just came across as jealous. Note that Holbrook didn't mention other celebrities, like Ashton Eaton, who is an Olympic gold medal winner in decathlon, or Nick Swisher, a former New York Yankees outfielder. SA is not a professional athlete, he is an actor who just trained hard for his Arrow role.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 7

Holbrook was trying to be funny but it just comes off as embarrassing and a little bit petty.  SA is genetically blessed but he also works damn hard at what he does.  He tore something in his arm during the course and then not only kept going but did an extra event beyond what he was supposed to.  And then went back to shooting Arrow having to carry EBR around because it was the Underground episode making it look like he wasn't in pain.  How many "mere mortals" would have done that without complaining or giving up?

• Love 10

"Genetically blessed" implies SA just walked in and did the course, dismissing the fact that he had spent months training for it. Maybe Damian was joking, but judging from his twitter  feed he's a dick, and here he sounds like a jealous dick.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

From print issue of new TV Guide, June 12-25, 2017 (Double Issue) - "Cheers & Jeers" by Damian Holbrook...

I think that SA deserved a Cheer, not a Jeer. I don't know if Damian Holbrook was trying to be funny, but he just came across as jealous. Note that Holbrook didn't mention other celebrities, like Ashton Eaton, who is an Olympic gold medal winner in decathlon, or Nick Swisher, a former New York Yankees outfielder. SA is not a professional athlete, he is an actor who just trained hard for his Arrow role.

I think he was trying to be funny, but it was a colossal failure. Maybe what he should have done was put Jeers(Cheers) and made it clear. 

(edited)

Natalie Abrams and Kyle Anderson finally reviewed the season finales of Supergirl, Flash and Arrow (they were on vacation when the finales aired) - I only listened to Arrow portion...

Superhero Insider - Season Finales pt 2
June 9, 2017

-- Kyle and Natalie have been praising S5 of Arrow. That doesn't change with their review of 523.

-- Natalie talked about "coming full circle" with Moira's phone call, and with Slade Wilson and Malcolm Merlyn. Kyle loved "this version of Slade."

-- Natalie noted that we met Slade's son in LoT's future Star City episode when he was the new Deathstroke, so now maybe Slade will find his son and prevent that future.

-- Natalie thought it was "unlikely" that everyone makes if off the island. She noted that

JH, RG and EK have all been re-signed so they'll survive.

She then talked about how, when Felicity kissed Oliver because she didn't want any regrets, she got "worried" that it'd be like "the retiring cop on his final day on the job" or the "rookie whose wife is pregnant." However, Natalie thought that Felicity would be okay and added: "I hope so." But it still made her "nervous" that Felicity might not survive.  [tv echo: Hand up if you think she's being sincere... Anyone? Anyone?] 

-- Natalie thought that Slade and Nyssa were "big question marks". She thought that Evelyn might also be dead. She said that we know Malcolm and Digger are dead because of that land mine. She "hopes" that Black Siren, Nyssa, and Talia all survive.

-- Kyle thought the Al Ghul sisters' showdown "was so awesome" and he didn't want that fight to end. Natalie thought it was "incredible."

-- Kyle said that SA deserved a "For Your Consideration" billboard. There were so many characters in this episode and Oliver had a relationship with each of these characters. In addition to giving the writers credit, Kyle said that SA knew just how Oliver would interact with each character.

-- They also praised Josh Segarra's portrayal of Adrian Chase this season. Even though Chase was not a metahuman but "just a guy", Kyle thought that he always felt like a "threat."

-- They noted that there were still loose ends with Black Siren, Talia al Ghul, Cayden James' identity, and Ragman.

-- Natalie said that she always thought that Ragman seemed an "odd fit" on the team because he was this metahuman and everyone else on the team was a "grounded superhero." She thought that having a meta on the team meant that Team Arrow "could do anything." So she was fine with Ragman leaving the team, and she'd be happy if he returned next season "but in a more grounded way."  [tv echo: Note that Natalie didn't say anything about metahuman Dinah Drake being a member of the team, or metahuman Black Siren being on the show. Kyle didn't call her out on that either.]

-- Natalie thought that S6 will start with Oliver running. In her "dream world," she said that we'd see Oliver dying in a 10-year flashforward, and then we'd see how we get there and if that future can be changed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Wow, she really wants to bury Oliver quickly. Can't she at least let him reach 50?

Or 86, if she's about referencing the other shows that already projected futures for Arrow characters?

• Love 3

[tv echo: Note that Natalie didn't say anything about metahuman Dinah Drake being a member of the team, or metahuman Black Siren being on the show. Kyle didn't call her out on that either.]

I noticed that as well.   There are two women screaming sonic waves at each other,  but a boy in a rag suit, who by the way isn't a meta,  that's going too far!

• Love 20
2 hours ago, tv echo said:
  Hide contents

She then talked about how, when Felicity kissed Oliver because she didn't want any regrets, she got "worried" that it'd be like "the retiring cop on his final day on the job" or the "rookie whose wife is pregnant." However, Natalie thought that Felicity would be okay and added: "I hope so." But it still made her "nervous" that Felicity might not survive.  [tv echo: Hand up if you think she's being sincere... Anyone? Anyone?]

Hand up.  Since MG is on the record that Thea and Felicity are safe, she's either a crap journalist or she's faking it.

LOL on meta humans do not belong on Team Arrow unless they're the Black Canary.

• Love 2

How was Black Sirens storyline left unresolved? She came back as the bad guys minion, got her ass kicked and ended up being blown up with everyone else. In fact she had no real storyline apart from being the foil for Dinah. She was basically in the role of Henchman #2 but with a C listers face.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

-- Natalie said that she always thought that Ragman seemed an "odd fit" on the team because he was this metahuman and everyone else on the team was a "grounded superhero." She thought that having a meta on the team meant that Team Arrow "could do anything." So she was fine with Ragman leaving the team, and she'd be happy if he returned next season "but in a more grounded way."  [tv echo: Note that Natalie didn't say anything about metahuman Dinah Drake being a member of the team, or metahuman Black Siren being on the show. Kyle didn't call her out on that either.]

I miss Rory. I did think that his magical rags were a bit much, especially when he'd just stand between the others and bullets, but still. I want him back, and I'd rather have him around than two people with the same metahuman power. How many times can we just watch them send each other flying back by screaming at each other? 

4 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

How was Black Sirens storyline left unresolved? She came back as the bad guys minion, got her ass kicked and ended up being blown up with everyone else. In fact she had no real storyline apart from being the foil for Dinah. She was basically in the role of Henchman #2 but with a C listers face.

I know. The only loose end I can think of with Black Siren is the same as everyone else's - where she was when the island exploded. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, LeighAn said:

It wasn't unresolved except for the dead/not dead thing, but there seems to be an inability to see BS as a separate character from LL. So I think people are expecting a redemption arc, and that's what is unresolved. If I didn't know KC was sticking around for next year, I would have thought they wrapped up her story by having Lance state definitively that she's not his daughter and wacking her on the head. 

For me, she's like every other one-off villain. I'm not sitting around wondering what Stardust (whatever his name was) or that bee chick is doing after their episode ends, so I don't know what reason they'll have for her being in Starling City next year. I guess we'll see in October!

• Love 15
(edited)

Plenty of people think that Siren was being sincere during her little pow wow with Q so that leaves that whole storyline unresolved on her side of things. And since she is sticking around next season something they will probably explore more in depth.

Edited by Primal Slayer
47 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Plenty of people think that Siren was being sincere during her little pow wow with Q so that leaves that whole storyline unresolved on her side of things. And since she is sticking around next season something they will probably explore more in depth.

Yeah, I'm sure Siren will get a redemption arc next season.

Good,  she should be redeemed,  and then promptly return to earth 2 to be the BLACK CANARY.   So she can right her wrongs and be the hero that Star City E2 deserves. 

• Love 13
(edited)

I've seriously got a feeling that she's going to be the comedic reoccuring villain next season. They've kinda set it up in the finale and with her over acting and getting whacked by Quentin. I can see her popping up to be a nuisance and then getting clobbered by various people.

Like Arrow's version of Wiley E Coyote which would be kinda fun actually!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 7
28 minutes ago, Proteus said:

Yeah, I'm sure Siren will get a redemption arc next season.

I don't see how any sort of redemption arc doesn't end with her getting written off the show again, since our team already has a Black Canary.  But maybe that's the intention.  Redemption arc, send her back to Earth 2, the end. 

• Love 4

Redeeming her would be the most predictable, boring thing they could do with her, so that's probably what they're going to do with her. Although Quentin knocking her ass out and Oliver referring to her as "a meta human" gave me just a tiny glimmer of hope that they might do away with the gross idea she and E1 Laurel are interchangeable like they pushed in 10 - a glimmer of hope that I'm sure will be dashed when the season starts. 

• Love 5

Not saying a redemption arc for BS is out of the question, but I'd find it yet another inexplicable decision, since the reason she was brought back was because people liked her performance as a sneering, unrepentant villain. 

• Love 16