Type keyword(s) to search

The Starling City Times: News and Media about Arrow

Grammaeryn
  • Start Topic

(edited)

REVIEW: ‘ARROW’ REVISITS ‘LIAN YU’ WITH STELLAR SEASON FINALE, BUT CHEAP CLIFFHANGER
Kevin Fitzpatrick   May 24, 2017
http://screencrush.com/arrow-season-finale-review-lian-yu/

Good grief, was Season 5 not the time for Arrow to end with a cliffhanger. I understand; “Lian Yu” is far from the series’ end, and the shared nature of The CW’s DC universe precludes any major time-jumps, but the conclusion of Arrow’s five-year flashback cycle marks a major milestone for the series. It’s a time to look back on legacy and chart a course for the next five years, not leave the audience wondering if Arrow murdered 99% of its major cast off-screen.
It’s a waste of an ending, given the majority of what came before successfully celebrated everything great about the series – from its many relationships, to the scale of action in both timelines. Understandably, having all the major players present on “Lian Yu” is perhaps contrived in its own right. It still made for as many moving parts in one hour as micro-examinations of the various relationships, while neatly dovetailing with an otherwise-linear trek through Oliver’s final* island flashback. If anything, “Lian Yu” probably had too much to explore; opting instead to spike the “who lives and who dies” resolution to Season 6, along with any meaningful aftermath to Chase’s death.
The breadth of callbacks that “Lian Yu” organically achieved was impressive overall. Oliver and Felicity get one “last” kiss; Felicity and Oliver’s baby-mama Samantha worked out their issues, and even Malcolm and Thea got passable father-daughter closure before his notably comic-book end. Not to mention, everything from Felicity’s dad, to Sara’s Season 3 murder, to Shado got some sort of meaningful shout out. Having Manu Bennett back was also a wonderful treat to buoy Oliver’s reflection, however rushed it felt that the character was simply cured of his madness, and willing to fight alongside the good guys. Best of all was the chance to work in Susanna Thompson’s return as Oliver’s mother, a much more meaningful use of tonight’s flashback to observe the first moments of Moira learning her son was alive.
Nice use of the classic Arrow logo in the title card.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Arrow Season 5 Episode 23 Review: Lian Yu
Tyler McCarthy  May 24, 2017
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/265198/arrow-season-5-episode-23-review-lian-yu

After a year of twists, turns, false flags and some seriously angsty drama, the Arrow season 5 finale is its most climactic and costume-heavy episode to date. Not only did the finale pack enough hardcore action to satisfy any average fan’s bloodlust, but the aging series found yet another compelling way to leave fans on the hook until Arrow Season 6 kicks off in October.
... All-in-all, there wasn’t much to write home about, except for Stephen Amell’s best acting moment on the show to date - calling his mom to let her know that he’s alive, his father isn’t and that he’s coming home. It was subtle, beautiful and Amell really rose to the occasion.
,,, Sure, this is Arrow, we all know that no one on this show dies for good assuming the actor or actress still wants a job. I’m sure we haven’t seen the last of Merlyn, but the show wants us to think he’s dead and I’m willing to play along for a bit - so godspeed Malcolm. In an episode that ties us back to Season 1, it seems only fitting that its first big bad lays down his life.
Here’s what we know, everyone is on that island. Heroes, villains, a Felicity who seems pretty keen to get back together with the Green Arrow on the mainland, William’s mom… everyone. However, despite Chase’s final jab at Oliver, we don’t know for sure that any of these people actually died. Sadly, it seems as though we’ll have to wait until Arrow Season 6… which hopefully isn’t a really boring show about Oliver being a dad.
Sure, Season 5 was a far cry from the grounded, albeit less colorful, show we were introduced to in 2012. In fact, that’s never been more apparent thanks to the constant callbacks to Season 1. But, when we digest the show as a whole, there’s simply no denying that you care about everyone whose life was left hanging in the balance. In some small way, over the course of these 5 years, you’ve grown invested in at least one of those handsome devils and you can’t deny your curiosity regarding their fate. When it’s all said and done, isn't that what TV shows are all about?

(edited)

Arrow Review: Season Finale Leaves Fans Hanging
BY CRAIG WACK · MAY 25, 2017
http://oohlo.com/2017/05/25/arrow-review-season-finale-leaves-fans-hanging/

In a season where it seemed like the Arrow writers’ room was often stalling for time, the earth-shattering finale (and cliffhanger) made the wait worth it.

Unlike some shows that failed to deliver on its fan service promise (looking at you Supergirl), Arrow packed a lot of action and classic matchups in just an hour. The episode treated us to the al Ghul sisters squaring off, Black Siren and Temporary Canary battling one on one and Slade Wilson, alternating between deadly and philosophical.
A few interesting things happened during that cycle. First and foremost, Olicity’s return was sealed with a “just in case” kiss before Felicity was sent off to escape the island, and Ollie resumed the hunt for his son. There was also a semi-heartbreaking subplot with Thea and Merlyn. Thea gave Merlyn the cold shoulder despite the fact he joined Ollie’s rescue party specifically to save her. He proved that dedication after Thea stepped on a land mine. Merlyn took her place on top of the device and seemingly sacrificed himself to save the others by triggering the mine after Boomerang and some goons showed up. This led to a touching scene between Felicity and Thea where they sorted through their feelings about their evil, yet ultimately noble fathers.
Not to be outdone, Quentin knocked out Black Siren with a staff, something many an Arrow fan has wanted to see happen for a long time.
It’s hard to believe that everyone on the island was blown to bits. There was mention of an ARGUS bunker on the other side of the island, and it felt like there might have been time for everyone to get to safety. If not, we all know that Lian Yu is full of hidey holes and WW2-era bunkers, and that Slade knows the location of every one of them.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

"Lian Yu" – Arrow S05E23 Review
By Gislef  May 25, 2017
http://www.tv.com/shows/arrow/community/post/lian-yu-arrow-s05e23-review-1495687195/

Ruh-roh Everyone is dead except Oliver and William!

Yeah, right. Let's face it: after tonight's "Lian Yu", the team will have either rejiggered the sabotaged airplane, or made it to the ARGUS airplane and escaped. And taking along most of the villains with them. Never mind that they're not going to kill off five-sixths of the cast. The creative team isn't going to waste all the time on angsty scenes like Felicity and Thea talking about Malcolm's death....
Although John Barrowman has apparently said he won't be back for Season 6. Then again, Guggenheim claimed Manu Bennett would only be present for voiceover work, too. To quote Gregory House, "Everybody lies."
The best part of the flashback is the end, where they tie it all in with the premiere episode. And a "surprise" return of Susanna Thompson as Moira. Who does far more here in three minutes than she did in several episodes of Timeless. Maybe they'll give her more to do on Timeless when that starts next spring or summer or whenever.
Talia and Nyssa as dueling sisters... eh. They talked the talk about their family issues. But it's hard to really relate to them when a lot of this gets dumped on us. Talia walked away and left Nyssa to suffer at Ra's's hands? Umm, okay, sure.
Felicity and Thea got their moments to shine. Curtis acted goofy. Rene and Diggle were barely there....
And where was Rory? Adrian kidnaps Samantha, but doesn't kidnap Rory? Nothing happened here that required Samantha's presence, but we get her instead of Samantha? Say what?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

‘Arrow’ 5×23 Review: ‘Lian Yu’
May 25, 2017 by ALYSSA BARBIERI
http://fangirlish.com/arrow-5x23-review-lian-yu/

This season of Arrow, overall, has been a hot mess. In trying to close out Oliver’s story in year five, it lost itself early on this season as it struggled to get to the point where it ended. It felt like Arrow knew exactly where it was going to end season 5, but it didn’t really know how to get there.

Honestly, Arrow season 5 began with episode 17 and concluded with episode 23. At least in my eyes. That’s when I felt the connection between the characters and the story. Where there was a clear path. Where the elements that defined Arrow as my favorite show had returned.
This was the kind of season finale where you can call it “epic” and actually mean it. There was so much happening so quickly that it didn’t give you time to really think about what was happening. And while that can most of the time fail miserably, it actually worked in Arrow’s favor in regards to the emotional implications. This was an episode meant to be experienced. It’s one that I’m going to go back and watch and be able to process things a bit better, but it’s still going to manage to take me back on that journey.
Now that we’ve reached the end of Arrow’s fifth season – and the end of another chapter in Oliver’s story – a large part of me feels relieved that we can put this mess of a season behind us. But another part of me feels excited, which is definitely not an emotion that I thought I’d have at season’s end. There’s potential to right the ship by starting anew as Oliver begins another chapter. No more going “back to basics.” No more trying to force out the established elements for newer, shinier ones. It’s time for a new and familiar beginning. And I can’t wait to see what awaits Oliver in this next chapter.
Everything that has happened to him over these past five years – all of the people he’s met, trusted, and loved – have influenced him in a profound way. And that all circles back to OTA, Diggle and Felicity. Those two people have affected his life the most in how they’ve inspired him to be the best version of himself. Without them, Oliver might not have become a hero. Without them, he might’ve become Chase.
This season has been – honestly, I have no idea what they were attempting to do with Oliver and Felicity? Most likely drag out the will-they-won’t-they so more, which is something that has now proven to hurt the show than help it. There was no reason to separate the pair in season 4 other than the fact that the producers wanted to draw it out longer than it was. And why? Why attempt to fix something that wasn’t broken? There was a nice balance between Oliver and Felicity’s personal and professional lives. It added a layer of humor and effortlessness to the show that was taken when they were forced apart.

So, this season has been about putting Oliver and Felicity back together in the slowest way possible hoping that they could build that season 2-level of desire and season 3-level of angst. But it wasn’t until the 20th hour of the season that Oliver and Felicity finally began resembling themselves again and in their relationship.
“Lian Yu” solidified the return of Oliver and Felicity as a couple moving forward. And it managed to accomplish that in a single scene. There wasn’t a lot of focus on Oliver and Felicity moving forward because there didn’t need to be. It was something that was accepted as reality. It’s going to happen.
But still, that scene still managed to make me feel all the feels. It’s pure magic when Oliver and Felicity are together. There’s so much left unspoken and so much love and respect that you can’t help but feel moved watching their interactions.
To this point, I’ve felt nothing towards William. He’s merely existed as a pawn for villains to use against Oliver. If he’s to be an important part of Oliver’s life, make him one. If William is going to be a part of Oliver’s story at least explore that relationship instead of merely using William a bait every time a big bad comes around.

While I don’t think Arrow will kill Samantha, I feel like once our cliffhanger is resolved and everyone returns to Star City that perhaps Samantha and William will live in Star City or nearby in order to cultivate that relationship between Oliver and his son. I don’t foresee it being a central focus, but I do see it being something that is a work in progress. Perhaps we’ll get to see Felicity being a stepmother to William, as a nod to her comic book counterpart.
I feel like Samantha did what she did because it was what the writers wanted her to do. But also because she’s a parent who is concerned about the well-being of her child. Sure, her agreement seemed, in the moment, completely ridiculous, can you really fault her for trying to protect her son? Eventually it was Oliver that actually failed to confide in Felicity – after the reveal – about the William situation that spelled their relationship’s end at that point.
Man, I was really hoping that there was some way to keep Josh Segarra for season 6. Honestly, Josh Segarra has been the highlight of this season. He was the most unexpected surprise that ended up becoming one of the best things to happen to this show.
3. That tender Olicity moment was short but oh so sweet and telling. FINALLY we got a kiss in the present day this season. And that scene! “Just in case.” Loved that entire exchange. The future is bright for Oliver and Felicity – well, after Oliver realizes his loved ones, including Felicity, aren’t actually dead.
5. Oliver’s conversation with Moira in the flashbacks was the stuff of perfection and tears. Lots of tears. I’ll forever hate Arrow for taking her away from us, but the moments that she returns always deliver such powerful emotions.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)
41 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Arrow Season 5 Episode 23 Review: Lian Yu
Tyler McCarthy  May 24, 2017
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/arrow/265198/arrow-season-5-episode-23-review-lian-yu

Felicity and Oliver’s baby-mama Samantha worked out their issues...

Say what now? ??

I am glad all the reviews uniformly had nothing good to say about the kid storyline so hopefully they will either drop it or at least try to fix it. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 3
(edited)

Arrow 5.23 Review – ‘Lian Yu’
May 24, 2017 | Posted by Michael Haigis
http://411mania.com/movies/arrow-5-23-review-lian-yu/

... Those efforts resulted in a season finale that was entertaining, but lacked the propulsion and tension implied by the episode’s premise: a hero and a villain, each with their alliances, matching wits and trading blows on a remote island. This season, as uneven and meandering as it was at times, could have finished with a tightly wound hour of television. Instead, ‘Lian Yu’ was a fair representation of Arrow: the good and bad, action-packed and boring, interesting and trite.
The defining trait of Chase’s character this season has been his foresight; like the most memorable comic villains, he has willfully manipulated Oliver at every turn. This episode, though, stretches credulity – without bogging down in specifics too much, much of Chase’s plan in this finale is too convenient, too illogical, and too easily summed up by actor Josh Segurra delivering another smug, satisfied line – something like “See Oliver, I’m always one step ahead”. The finale ends with the show’s numerous pieces in place for an epic cliff hanger. Oliver and Chase are on one side of the island, negotiating over the life of Oliver’s son; everyone else Oliver cares about is on the diametric opposite side of Lian Yu, attempting to escape in a plane. Chase simplifies the stakes, as if they were unclear – Oliver must choose between his son and everyone else, as the island is completely rigged with explosives that will detonate if Chase dies.

It’s a neat premise that allows the season to end on a typical cliff hanger (Oliver shoots Chase in the foot and rescues his son; Chase shoots himself in the head, an off screen explosion is heard, roll credits). But how the characters get to that scenario, and the relative ease with which the scenario could have been prevented, prevents “Lian Yu” from having any real emotional impact. Oliver spends the episode assuring Chase that he will never kill him, and petulantly yelling “Where is My Son!?”; but Oliver also makes clear that Chase will never leave the island (effectively the same fate as death), and that he doesn’t need Chase alive in order to locate his son. So, the obvious question is – especially after we see Oliver spend five season wounding (and ostensibly killing) numerous faceless henchmen – why not kill Chase? So much of this season has been about Oliver coming to terms with his own nature, and processing his past. But a refusal to make the hard choice regarding Chase reflects that Oliver is afraid of his nature, not that he has adjusted appropriately.
It will be interesting to see how “Lian Yu” is perceived by the core Arrow audience. It was an episode that was emblematic of the season; uneven, and completely packed with story – from Oliver’s homecoming flashbacks and cameos from the series’ past, to an #Olicity kiss and a cliffhanger that put the entire cast of the show in peril. As a television season finale, the episode comes up short, squandering a potential to capitalize on what the Action, plot twists, and small emotional beats that the show executes so well. As an Arrow finale, it was representative of a season that never seemed to fully get it’s wheels rolling, despite being constructed around a few compelling ideas and a great new villain. If anything, “Lian Yu” marks the end of an era for Arrow. With flashbacks reaching a conclusion, and Olivers “Pergatory” island literally being blown to bits, the show is clearly looking to the future. The biggest cliffhanger from this finale is not who will survive (all the important people, for sure); it’s where Arrow will go from here.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Arrow Review: Lian Yu (Season 5 Episode 23)
May 25, 2017   Shadia Omer
http://www.telltaletv.com/2017/05/arrow-review-lian-yu-season-5-episode-23/

Hi, Arrow readers! Shadia here filling in for Lizzie this week to review Arrow Season 5 Episode 23, “Lian Yu,” which wraps up this rather interesting of a season.
Oliver’s mission in trying to save the people he loves, including his son, becomes complicated as ever when Adrian plays his mind games with Oliver one last time. Watching Oliver’s hell-bent determination in finding William is admirable when he’s been that absent father and all just trying to do his best to protect his own.

But oh how I wish there was never a kid involved on the show. Not for Oliver at least.

The whole storyline centered around Oliver having a kid is a mess and unnecessary to me, and it makes matters so complicated now that this kid is in the middle of the crossfire between Adrian and Oliver.
I’m sorry, but as much as I anticipated a long-awaited Olicity kiss, that kiss was just awkward and it took Oliver off guard. Like, I’m beginning to think it took Stephen Amell off-guard too. But I’m happy where Oliver and Felicity are at now. Their time in that bunker really did clear a lot for these two.
Even in the most frustrating situation Team Arrow is faced with, Curtis still has time for his not-so-funny jokes. Please, stop this. He’s been too annoying this season.

But…like…who is Vigilante?! Arrow writers, what about Vigilante?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Arrow Episode Guide: Season 5, Episode 23 - Lian Yu
Starman  May 24, 2017
http://www.mygeekygeekyways.com/2017/05/arrow-episode-guide-season-5-episode-23.html

Influences
Green Arrow (Vol. 3) #66 (Basic plot of Oliver Queen and his friends and family vs. an island full of killers) and Justice League: Cry For Justice (A villain called Prometheus threatens everything Oliver Queen loves.)

Goofs
It's a minor thing, but it just seems weird for Thea to be calling Sara "my friend's sister" instead of by name.

Unfortunately, all the drama of the episode is killed by the final minute, because - [DELETED SPOILER] - we can't believe for a moment that they're killing off the entire cast except for Oliver Queen himself.

Performances
I never realized how much I missed Manu Bennett as Slade Wilson until now. I know the DCTVU is already a bit over saturated with shows but... 2018?  Deathstroke series? Please?
Willa Holland and Emily Bett Rickards haven't gotten a lot of scenes together. The brief moment they have bonding as the daughters of villains who did try to make it up to their daughters shows what a mistake that has been, as the two play off each other beautifully.
The Winick Factor
There's a lot of great character moments here that are ruined by a completely random ending that only serves to make the villain look invincible and smarter than the hero. That describes about 90% of Judd Winick's Green Arrow stories and most of the Prometheus stories in Season Five, in all honesty.

The Bottom Line
For a story that draws upon elements of two of the most infamously bad Green Arrow stories of all time, this one does a miraculous job of doing that this show set out to do for five years and, for the most part, did successfully - take the fractured history of a B-list (at best) comic book hero and turn it into something epic. Ignoring the last minute of the episode, that's what they did. The cliff-hanger doesn't ring true, however, and it ends the whole thing on a sour note.

Ignore that though and focus on the good - Oliver being true to his ideals, Manu Bennett redeeming Deathstroke into something like the anti-hero he's meant to be, the Susanna Thompson cameo, Oliver's final battle with Kovar, Black Canary and Quentin kicking Black Siren's ass - and this is one hell of a Hail Mary for a season that did much to restore the good old days of Arrow.  I honestly can't wait for Season Six.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, leopardprint said:

I am glad all the reviews uniformly had nothing good to say about the kid storyline so hopefully they will either drop it or at least try to fix it. 

Reviewers (and viewers) have been hating on that BMD story line since S4 and yet Guggenheim just doubled down on it and used as the major ingredient of his finale, so I'm bracing for more of Myson. 

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Reviewers (and viewers) have been hating on that BMD story line since S4 and yet Guggenheim just doubled down on it and used as the major ingredient of his finale, so I'm bracing for more of Myson. 

I am hoping they dismissed that criticism due to Olicity entanglement and now they will take it that the storyline is stupid on its own merit. Leave me my delusions! ???

• Love 2
(edited)

What all this does mean though is that it’s hard to judge the finale’s conclusion, as there really isn’t one to speak of. 

This kind of sums up my issue with the episode.  It feels less like a cliffhanger ending then the show ending before it finished or reached satisfying moments.  The flashbacks got a satisfying ending, but the only thing that was tied up in the present was that William was safe and Chase dead.  But since Myson was only a Mcguffen to get the hero to run to the island, him being saved doesn't feel that important and it really had nothing to do with the theme of the season.  It just feels tacked on at the end.  

This episode might end up retroactively being good if the one that comes next manages to deliver it's punch.  But otherwise if feels like the middle installment of a trilogy, just a lot of set up and filler.  

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 7
(edited)

Oliver vs. Prometheus, Slade returns and one explosive cliffhanger in the Arrow season finale
Trent Moore   Thu, May 25, 2017 9:45am
http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-25/arrow-season-5-episode-23-lian-yu-recap

As expected, this episode brought the flashback saga full circle, wrapping up its journey with a perfect dovetail into the Oliver we met in the pilot episode five years ago. But it also did an excellent job of getting to the heart of how Oliver has changed and grown since then. In the final flashback scene, we see Oliver call his mother and speak with her for the first time in five years, almost breaking down on the phone. It's a story of a parent's love, as Oliver learns what that means while holding his son and watching all of Lian Yu go up in flames. Oliver has gone from son to father, and by working with Slade and facing his own daddy issues through Chase's crusade, Oliver has come through to the other side a better man. And likely a better father.
It's no secret that Manu Bennett wasn't pumped about his weak sauce last appearance on Arrow, which basically turned him into a one-off villain who is dispatched far too easily by Oliver and Thea. So Slade Wilson got another shot at glory in this one, and it was certainly glorious. The super soldier drug that had driven Slade mad has finally filtered out of his system, and he's back to the not-crazy version we met and really liked in the flashback days. So, when Oliver needs back up to take on Chase and Talia's forces, he recruits Slade — who kicks all kinds of ninja butt while rocking his old Deathstroke gear. We get a nice fake-out that works just enough to make you wonder if Slade has turned bad, but nope, he's coming through until the end for his old pal Oliver. Here's hoping we see more of Slade in the future, but if not, he finally got the sendoff he deserved.
Up until the final minute or so, this was one heck of a great season finale. Then, they decided to leave things on a big, explode-y cliffhanger. Like, the most explode-y cliffhanger in history, arguably. Look, it's not that I don't like a good cliffhanger. I really do. But this one just felt cheap. It felt like a midseason finale, or a penultimate episode. Not the place where you want to wrap up an entire season. With literally no resolution. The fifth season was a critical point for this series, since the show was essentially launched with a five-year concept thanks to the flashback element. The fifth season should've closed the chapter, and not just in the flashbacks. It felt nothing but cheap, and c'mon, you know they're not going to kill off the entire supporting cast. Unless they're looking to take those Batman parallels a few steps further and turn William into Oliver's Robin? Eh, probably not. It was a gutsy move, and a bold move. But, I'd also argue it was the wrong one.
Hmm, is everyone dead? I highly doubt it. Either they miraculously made it to the boat to escape, or Slade knew of some super-sneaky hiding place that could somehow protect them from a few hundred bombs designed to sink the island into the ocean.

What does this mean for Oliver and his kid? He pushed the kid away to protect him, and that was obviously an epic fail. After making Oliver's fatherhood such a critical plot point this season, he should probably, you know, actually be a father now, right?

Oliver and Felicity kissed! Olicity fans must be happy right now. Assuming she's not dead, of course.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Oliver And Adrian Come Face To Face For The Final Battle On “Lian Yu” In Arrow’s Season Five Finale
MAY 25, 2017 VERENA COTE
http://www.4ye.co.uk/2017/05/oliver-and-adrian-come-face-to-face-for-the-final-battle-on-lian-yu-in-arrows-season-five-finale/

With  “Lian Yu” Arrow delivers an absolutely wonderful finale for a season that has increased the overall quality of the show. Where season four featured questionable story lines and even more questionable character development, season five has picked up great momentum in both cases. The finale had everything we needed it to have – tender moments between Oliver and his son, some Olicity goodness, kickass fight sequences, Black Canary vs Black Siren, and, most importantly, a resolution to the Prometheus storyline.

With an even sassier villain than Damien Dahrk (which we didn’t think was possible), and an even more interesting motif, Adrian Chase has easily fought his way into the Top 3 of our favorite Arrow villains ever. Josh Segarra was such a brilliant addition to the cast that we are almost sad to see crazy Adrian go.

Speaking of villains, we are sad to see go: let’s address the magician in the room. Is Malcolm Merlyn really dead? Sure, John Barrowman said he wouldn’t return to the next season of Arrow, and we did hear the landmine go off. But Malcolm Merlyn is never truly dead. A man like Merlyn has tricked death so many times, it is difficult to imagine him succumbing to it. He is larger than life, and we won’t believe he is gone until we see a body.

The same goes for literally any other character we love. Did they make it off the island or did they really die in one of the explosions? We doubt that Arrow would take out 95% of its cast at once … Fortunately, we have the whole summer to obsess over who lives, and who dies, and to make up possible scenarios for season six.

tumblr_oqhlkdQH3s1vq3qe1o2_500.gif?resiz

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

All The Questions The Arrow Finale Answered
BY LAURA HURLEY   May 25, 2017
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1663429/all-the-questions-the-arrow-finale-answered

Slade's son Joe was mentioned a couple of times in the early seasons of Arrow, but nobody said on screen what happened to him or his mother. Although a tie-in novel explained that Slade killed Joe in a Mirakuru rage, those of us who hadn't read the book didn't know what happened to him, and Arrow actually untwisted that particular plot twist in the finale. Then, there was the Grant Wilson who was seen menacing Star City in a Legends of Tomorrow episode set in 2046. Grant definitely didn't look old enough to have born before the island, so it felt like a continuity error that he was established as Slade's son.

Now that Slade has been sprung from the ARGUS prison and will presumably escape Lian Yu with Team Arrow, he could track down his firstborn and get around to fathering Grant at some point.

How Did Oliver Get The Burn Scar?
Will Slade Keep His Promise?
Why Was There A Temple On The Island?
What Did Prometheus Mean By "See You On The Boat?"
What Extra Flashback Scenes Will Be Included?
Can Nyssa Beat Talia In A Fight?
What's The Deal With Slade's Kids?
How Was Oliver's Hair So Long In The Pilot?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Yes, I am posting a Forbes review of 523 - however, it's not written by that guy who hates Olicity, but by a different guy (I still don't agree with all of this guy's comments, but it's an interesting read)...

Against All Odds, Last Night's 'Arrow' Finale Caps Off Its Best Season Ever
Paul Tassi   May 25, 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/05/25/against-all-odds-last-nights-arrow-finale-caps-off-its-best-season-ever/#41c4a0ca41c4

If you asked me last year at this time what I thought of Arrow, I could have made a compelling argument that it was time for the show to hang up its bow and cowl and retire. We had just capped off an absolutely ludicrous season four which involved League of Assassin nonsense, Oliver and Felicity nonsense, and a final storyline so absurd it felt like some sort of bizarre dream sequence (the entire country’s nuclear arsenal being launched at once). Arrow’s time had seemingly come and gone, with the rest of its inspired universe, Legend of Tomorrow, Supergirl and The Flash, surpassing it by miles.

Season five was a whole different story. This year, Arrow was not only the best show in the Arrowverse, it managed to produce its best season ever, which was capped off by a satisfyingly epic finale last night.

Rarely does a show seem to go point by point through fan feedback and respond to criticisms with major changes, but that’s exactly what Arrow did this season. It took a hard look at itself and figured out what went wrong last year, then did the opposite of all those things.
The Oliver and Felicity drama cooled off with both of them dating other people before ultimately returning to one another after a bit of soul-searching. One of the best sequences of the season was a bottle episode where the two of them were trapped in the Arrow Cave (the Quiver?) and were forced to confront their feelings for each other and how Oliver’s own issues with himself ultimately screwed up their relationship last time. It was far from the high-strung drama of last season where everyone acted irrationally and you grew to hate both characters. The problem with Olicity was never the fact that they were together, it was how they were put together and the nonsense they ended up fighting about. This season, their conflicts and resolutions were much more measured and made sense.

But as most viewers would probably agree, the reason this season turned from decent to good to great was Adrian Chase, aka Prometheus. He’s easily Arrow’s best villain since Slade Wilson, but arguably he produced a better season overall than season two, which often got lost in a maze of Mirakuru rage nonsense, even if Slade himself was a great foe.
Was it perfect? No. While I like Dinah, her addition felt rushed and forced, like the show can’t survive two seconds without a Black Canary. Ragman was a weird character to introduce and it seems like once the show realized how overpowered he was, he was banished abruptly. The season’s flashbacks were bad as all the flashbacks have been for years. And bringing back Laurel as Black Siren really takes the impact out of her original death, even if this is a “different” Laurel going forward.

But overall, this was the best season of Arrow to date. Even better than the previous peak of season two because it had more than just a good villain, it had a good team, good relationships, a solid storyline and interesting themes to explore. Season two, for as much as Slade was great, was pretty simple, as the guy just wrongly blamed Oliver for the death of someone he loved. This time, Chase blamed Oliver for the same thing, but his rationale and plans went way, way deeper than Slade’s ever did.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, okay, I gave in and read the 523 review by the Olicity-hating, reddit-citing Forbes guy (who surprisingly didn't love 523, and appears to have softened clarified his stance on Olicity)...

Arrow's Season 5 Finale Was A Decent End To An Okay Season
Erik Kain   May 24, 2017
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/05/25/arrows-season-5-finale-was-a-decent-end-to-an-okay-season/#5df79de35df7

Unlike many other critics who are singing the finale's praises, calling it the best episode ever, or calling the fifth season the best season ever, I'm left feeling deeply divided.

I disagree with IGN's claim that this was the best episode ever, though it had some good moments, and I disagree with Paul Tassi that this was the best season ever. That still belongs to Season 2, for reasons I'll get into momentarily.
I'm not sure how I feel about Oliver and Felicty rekindling things. As readers of this column know, I'm not a fan of Olicity, though that's not because I don't think the couple can work on the show. Rather, I don't think the couple is very well written most of the time, and their relationship is fraught with silly melodrama that makes me dislike both characters more than I should.
Season 5 took all the problems the show already had with bloat and made them worse. The cast, and Team Arrow in particular, has ballooned out of hand. I honestly hope that island bomb takes out a few characters because it's just absurd to have so many people on the team. Why do we need two computer geniuses? What is the point of Rene when we already have Diggle? Why did we need a new Black Canary right away? Team Arrow is such a convoluted, bloated mess right now and it really weakens the show, giving too little screen-time to characters we care about.
I'm not sure how many more fight scenes between Team Arrow and a bunch of goons I can take. What's the point of these black-clad assassins if they can be taken down so easily? I still remember the first time a League of Assassins member attacked Sara Lance. That fight was crazy and brutal and tense. I guess that was the only assassin worth a damn.
I can't help but feel like Season 5, while overall a course correction, was still not the show that Arrow could---and should---be. I love the core cast. Stephen Amell, in particular, is the reason I'm still watching this show. He deserves better material to work with, as do Emily Bett Rickards, David Ramsey, Paul Blackthorne and Willa Holland.

The bloat, the lackluster flashbacks, the serious issues with the plot, all these things make Season 5 a less than great season, and one that I had a hard time connecting with. It wasn't infuriatingly awful like Season 4, and I liked it more than Season 3, but it ranks a distant third to Season 2 and 1 (in that order.) I want the show to tighten its belt and figure out how to make a 23 episode season truly work.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I know! That's why I was so conflicted about posting his review. He appears to have mellowed a tiny bit on Olicity - but maybe that's because they got such a reduced presence this season.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

Agents of GEEK Podcast Episode 75
Craig Wack & Tatiana Torres  05/26/2017
http://agentsofgeekpodcast.com/wordpress/

-- They thought that the Arrow finale was "the best of the finales" (comparing it to other superhero shows). Craig said that the Arrow finale was "pretty solid all the way around" and mentioned that there was "some Olicity kissin, ... there were daddy issues and family fights, and just a lot of action in general, ... and the cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers." Tatiana said that she loved the finale up until the cliffhanger because she just thought,

"c'mon, guys, we already know that everyone re-signed their contracts... [although] this is a show that lives in its flashbacks, so hypothetically someone could re-sign their contract and still be there, but the chances are slight."

She thought that the real question now is "we stress about how everyone got away, or how everyone is hurt, or, like, you know, if someone died." She didn't think the dead person could be Thea because they would've dedicated a whole episode to it and not just "Thea blew up." 

-- Craig thought that the first episode of the new season will be "dedicated to everyone's escape." He mentioned the "ARGUS freighter on the other side of the island." He also mentioned "hidey-holes and bunkers" all over the island that "Slade would know [about]." He wondered if Evelyn was still in that cage, but Tatiana said, "Nah, she's super dead. I'm okay with that... She's super the worst." 

-- Craig noted that "when Prometheus took those long breaks [during the season], well, now we know what the hell he was doing. He was friggin' burying bombs all over Lian Yu."  Tatiana: "Do you think he got frequent flyer miles for that?"  Craig said that he was "bumming a seaplane off somebody."

-- Craig then mentioned Black Siren

who we know is also coming back next season.

Tatiana wanted to take a moment to say how they're "all super glad" that, if Katie Cassidy is coming back, "we won't have to deal with, 'oh, is this Laurel?' - where she's pulling on the emotional heartstrings of everybody" by pretending to be Laurel, and that she'll "just be bad." Craig: "Your only hope is that they don't try a redemption arc for her." Tatiana: "Oh god, no."

-- Craig noted that "people are really happy that Olicity is a thing again." Tatiana: "Listen to me, if there is any drama in the Olicity couple next season, I am - I am - just let us have this one thing. Destroy everyone else's lives, please. Like, ugh - just let us have this one thing... Especially if next season is the last season, and you f**k with Olicity, then there's the possibility that they won't end up together. Then I will riot."

-- Craig said that last week Tatiana "talked smack about him for his lack of romanticism," but now he understood why they did it "from a story perspective... Is because there's a huge difference with, like, fate hanging in the balance of your ex - you know, you're trying to save your ex and your baby mama - or, it's now, oh, you've rediscovered this, you know, love for this woman who's the love of your life. And so now, that makes it much more of a tougher choice of your friends versus your son." Craig said that pushing Oliver & Felicity back together near the end of the season then "heightened the drama" at the end of the finale - "Felicity being his ex-fiance/co-worker" versus "Felicity as romantic love interest."

-- Tatiana: "They should've spent some time making us care about William. Because guess what? Super don't care... If he died, I would be sad, but not really... I mean, he's an innocent little child. I'm so sorry he has passed. But at the same time, can't lose Felicity, so - (laughs) I don't know what to say." She added: "The kid still looks like he jumped through puberty, since the last time we saw him." Craig: "He went from being an 8-year-old kid to having a beard." Tatiana: "Right? Like, this child is clearly a freshman in high school and he's gonna get beat up later, but okay."

-- Tatiana liked seeing Manu Bennett back. She felt like she should've re-watched the pilot because there seemed to be "a lot of Season 1 shit." Craig did re-watch the pilot and noted that they cut in the exact same footage from the pilot (when Oliver is found on the island).

-- Tatiana wondered what happened to the Vigilante who just "disappeared." She also wondered if Malcolm is really dead. Craig told her that he read in maybe the A.V. Club review that JB said he wasn't coming back next year. However, Craig didn't think that meant anything because "they could throw a bunch of money at him." Also, Craig was sure there would be another Flash/Supergirl musical episode next year and "you know he's coming back for that, at the very least."

-- Tatiana did get the "emotional feels" when Felicity and Thea were talking about their evil dads. But she laughed when Malcolm told Thea that all he ever did was protect her: "Yeah, like when you made her kill her friend." Craig laughed: "Yeah. Dad of the Year. Number 1 Dad coffee mug to you." Tatiana: "Or like when you were training her when she had the blood lust. Yay. Good job... In the scheme of bad dads, you were pretty bad, Malcolm. Also, since you were a horrible dad to Tommy. R.I.P. Tommy."

-- Craig said that, with the Al Ghul sisters, "you wish that they had done a little more with Talia... Because you really like Nyssa and the show has a lot of history with her... And there's not a lot going on with Talia this season. So you just kinda wish that they had done a little more with her, and made - made that confrontation with her a little stronger. Because, okay, this is a battle between, you know, a character you kinda know and really like and a character you don't know at all. 

-- Tatiana liked the finale but thought it "could have benefited from being two hours, or one hour, commercial-free." She said that they could have added stuff. For example, we've had so little Thea this season, so if they had "layered in a little more" to her story in the finale, it would've have been better. She still thought that the finale "was really good" but needed an additional "15 minutes" so they could "add in a couple more things." Tatiana added: "And that's saying something, because there was a shit-ton of stuff in this episode. There was the action, and the Olicity stuff. You had the Thea and Merlyn thing. And there was... the family drama at the end."

-- Craig noted that at the end, Chase was "throwing off one-liners like there was no tomorrow. He was like, 'For an absentee dad, you seem pretty devoted.'" Tatiana: "He's not wrong, to be honest. I mean, it's not like Ollie spends a lot of time with William. William still lives in Central - or did, before they moved him after the whole Prometheus thing happened. I mean, he was still living in Central City, and it's not like Ollie went over there often. But... whatever."

-- Craig thought the "running gag" - where every time someone saw Deathstroke, they reminded Oliver that he killed his mother - was funny. Tatiana thought it was "fine because everyone in this group has done worse. 'Remember when Thea killed Sara?' Okay, cool." Craig: "No one's got a clean resume, that's for sure."  Tatiana: "Like, remember when Quentin was working with Damian Darhk and f**ked a whole bunch of shit up? I do." 

-- Tatiana: "I was joking on twitter, like, the theme for the three CW finales... Supergirl was, like, emotions with a twist, because of the thing at the end we'll talk about in a little bit. And Flash was, like, sad face with a twist, 'cause of the kind of twist that was at the end. This was just, like, 'f**k your resolutions, this is a true cliffhanger.' There is nothing resolved. This isn't like Agents of SHIELD, where you get, like, resolution, then surprise, cliffhanger. No. It's like, 'No resolutions whatsoever. Just a cliffhanger. F**k you. Have a fun summer.'"  Craig laughed: "Right. And then, not only are we gonna hang you from a cliff, but we're gonna blow that f**ker up too!" 

-- Tatiana: "Now I'm just gonna have to read a bunch of fan fiction where, you know, they, like, survive and good things happen for Olicity. Because, you know, it was really stressful."

-- Craig wanted them to sign Manu Bennett to a contract across all four shows and have Deathstroke show up every now and then to "wreak a little havoc and be a little heroic."  Tatiana thought that he was shorter than she remembered, but needed to go back and re-watch Seasons 1 and 2 to check.

-- Craig thought it'll be "fascinating to see" what they do with flashbacks next season now that they've finished the five-season flashbacks story. Tatiana thought they'll do Lost and have flashforwards. Craig mentioned that maybe they'll do flashbacks of Black Siren's life on Earth 2. Tatiana didn't want a "fully Laurel-centric episode," although she was okay with Black Siren "being a bad guy... who's peppered in here and there." Craig noted that they still haven't done much with Dinah, who's "more of a badass than Laurel ever was", so he questioned "why are we going back to Imitation Laurel?"

-- Tatiana: "Remember last week when Felicity adjusted, like, Oliver's tie, like, before he put his hand on her shoulder and everything was perfect? That was unscripted. So I just want to give hats off to Emily Bett and Stephen Amell because they are perfect. And that's another reason why you can't f**k up Olicity, because you have to allow them to be perfect together. Even as actors, they know that it's time, you know."  Craig laughed: "For a drunken hook-up?" Tatiana: "For True Love. God, you're such a downer. Jeez. I'm not talking to you any more. Which is awkward because we still have three shows to talk about."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

This review was retweeted by James Bamford...

‘Arrow’ Season Five Finale Review: “Lian Yu”
Nora Dominick   May 26, 2017
http://emertainmentmonthly.com/index.php/arrow-season-five-finale-review-lian-yu/

By the time you hit season five of any series, some TV shows flounder. They crack under the pressure to keep audiences interested. There’s the need to reinvent, introduce new characters and close long standing plot lines in order to usher in new ones. Arrow fell into this hole at the beginning of the season. The series lost its foothold in the universe fans originally loved. Main characters were pushed aside to build up new one’s and the entire show just felt like a shell of its former self. When mid-season came around, we wondered if we could follow Arrow in the direction it was headed in.

Then in the last five episodes, Arrow gave us some of the best storytelling, character development and action the show has produced since season two. The show proves yet again that when it gets knocked down, it gets right back up, stronger than ever before. From a tour-de-force performance by Stephen Amell and Josh Segarra to an all around beautifully shot and crafted episode, Arrow proves its worth in the season five finale.
If anyone ever doubts Stephen Amell’s acting abilities, we’re going to point them to this episode....

... Amell allows you to feel how big of an impact every person has had on Oliver. From the undying love he has for Felicity (Emily Bett Rickards) and William (Jack Moore) to the heroic strength Slade (Manu Bennett) and Nyssa (Katrina Law) give him....

Amell has several crucial acting moments that drive the Arrow season five finale. There’s no better way to review this episode than breaking it down by Amell and his scene partners. First up, Amell and Emily Bett Rickards. While separated most of the episode, Amell and Rickards give fans the Olicity moment an entire season in the making. Upon reuniting, Felicity kisses Oliver realizing she’s ready to move their relationship forward. It’s a small, sweet and intimate moment, perfectly placed in the midst of the chaos.

This is what we’ve been searching for all season. Despite what some people might believe, Olicity fans don’t always need an episode completely dedicated to the couple. We like explosions as much as the next fan. What’s nice to see is that character is at the center of a superhero show. That despite the mask, characters and their relationships to each other matter the most. Rickards and Amell continue to showcase why they’re at the heart of Arrow.
Opposite Amell, he’s created our favorite villain in the Arrow-verse. His massive fight sequence with Amell solidifies Segarra’s rank amongst the best actors to come through this show. There’s no denying that Segarra ruled over Arrow with an iron fist this season and helped deliver the shows strongest finale to date. While we knew it had to end with Chase’s death, we wish we could keep Segarra forever.
That being said, Malcolm’s storyline had come to an end. There’s only so many times Malcolm can betray Thea before we get bored. Barrowman and Holland create an amazing dynamic over five seasons. It has been a joy to watch their chemistry grow and evolve as their character did as well. We’ll miss Barrowman, but Malcolm ended his journey in the best way possible.

Another small moment worthy of recognizing is Rickards and Holland. After Malcolm sacrifices himself, Thea and Felicity have a heart to heart. It’s a small moment in the grand scheme of the episode, but it makes a big difference. Female friendships are few and far between on TV, so to have one be at the center of a major finale is just what Arrow needs. With Thea absent from a majority of the season, Felicity not only lost a friend, but Rickards lost a scene partner. Rickards and Holland are an underutilized duo and when they’re placed together it proves how important female friendships are. We hope to see more of these two together in season six.

While the acting by Segarra, Amell, Rickards and the rest of the cast gave the Arrow finale its edge, we have to talk about the editing. The smooth editing between present and flashback has never been so seamless. By having both storylines set entirely on Lian Yu, it is perfect to showcase the man Oliver was and the man he’s become. Arrow’s editing team gets a big shoutout for making this episode smooth as we jump between timelines.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

While the acting by Segarra, Amell, Rickards and the rest of the cast gave the Arrow finale its edge, we have to talk about the editing. The smooth editing between present and flashback has never been so seamless. By having both storylines set entirely on Lian Yu, it is perfect to showcase the man Oliver was and the man he’s become. Arrow’s editing team gets a big shoutout for making this episode smooth as we jump between timelines.

I mostly agree with this.  The transitions from present to past and back again were great.  My only complaint was that several times I felt like they cut an emotional beat too short or skimped on camera angles to heighten the emotion.  Like when Oliver was watching everyone walk away after he rescued Thea and Felicity and the rest. The camera stayed on his face, but kind of awkwardly and I really wanted to see what he saw as well.  

Though that might have had less to do with editing than the available shots that the director decided to get.  

• Love 4

I think it's simply that they couldn't put Diggle in a cage because Chase would have probably looked at his arms and figured he'd break right out. So therefore they could have Diggle elsewhere so that Slade could talk to Oliver. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Arrow 5x23 Review: "Lian Yu" (Back to the Place Where Our Story Begins)
Just About Write   May 27, 2017
http://www.itsjustaboutwrite.com/2017/05/arrow-5x23-review-lian-yu-back-to-place.html

The most satisfying thing as a storyteller is when every loose thread comes full circle. I love watching characters complete their journeys and come full circle. Dan Harmon's story circle puts it best: they return to their familiar situation, having changed. The thing about Arrow is that it's a show that often endlessly chases rabbit trails, only to realize — too late — that they've strayed far from the path and have lost the interest or attention of their viewers. The show's proclivity for doing this has not been lost on me throughout season five. At its best, this year had some interesting moments. But at its worst, it was boring and often downright baffling. I'm not in the business of telling people that one great episode can redeem an entire season of not-great ones, but if any episode was going to try and do that successfully, it would be "Lian Yu."
... What's so significant about the parallelism here though is that Oliver did whatever it took to get himself off Lian Yu. He wanted to avenge his father's death and he did everything necessary to ensure his survival. At the beginning of the series, a lot — if not all — of Oliver's behavior is centered on this idea of self-preservation. He did things alone because he needed to be alone. He lashed out to protect himself. He was traumatized by everything that happened to him — all of the torture and the loss. The Oliver Queen we know in the pilot episode is driven by nature, not nurture.

And then there's the Oliver Queen in "Lian Yu."
The one complaint that I have in regards to the whole Oliver/William storyline was that we never got the chance to really explore what Oliver was like as a father. We had one scene of Oliver playing with his son, but that's about it. So it's kind of problematic that the entire emotional poignancy of the scene at the end was carried by Oliver's relationship with William. He seems affectionate enough around the kid, but until he mentions him by name, sometimes I legitimately forget that Oliver even HAS a son. I guess that the problem is so many of us took issue with the baby mama drama plot that it lost any and all of its potential. Nevertheless, I bought was Stephen Amell was selling because his desperation to save his son was palpable.
Slade Wilson will always be the best villain in Arrow for me. And it's not just because he's sassy or clearly on Team Oliver and Felicity Need to Bone Again Soon, but because he's genuinely complex as a character. He's not purely evil, and not even evil for the sake of being evil. He acknowledges, when Oliver approaches him, that he killed Moira. The right thing for Oliver to do would be to kill him. But Oliver has taken to look at everyone recently through redemption-colored glasses, and instead of seeing all of the pain that Slade caused him, Oliver sees all of the potential. Ultimately, Slade's downfall as a villain was that he cared too much. I know, that sounds like one of those things you say in a job interview when they ask about your weaknesses. But it's true. Slade loved people and because he lost them, he snapped. That's not like Damien, who just wanted to watch the world burn or Ra's, who... I don't know, wanted to rule the world with a sword and misogyny? I'm still trying to figure out his deal. Slade's passion tuned in one direction is admirable — it's love and fire. Tuned the opposite way, it's dangerous — it's rage and vengeance. 
Don't you sometimes forget that Felicity and Thea were almost sisters-in-law? Arrow does too, don't worry. Thankfully they seem to find time to squeeze in a few scenes for us Thea/Felicity friendship fans, and "Lian Yu" was one of those times....
Honestly, I could have done without the dramatic ending. We all know that most if not all of the characters (with the exception of minor characters) will survive into season six. In spite of the fact that the cliffhanger was anticlimactic and doesn't lend me to think that the entire cast of the show is dead, it was a pretty interesting way to end the season.

This year, Arrow was a season containing some good and great episodes in a sea of mediocre ones. The writers weren't sure how to balance a new Big Bad with a new team and a similar theme that we've seen across the years. Add to that even more flashbacks and you have a recipe for mediocrity....
Whyyyyyyyyy was Baby Mama even there? I get that William was kidnapped but I honestly could not care less about her. And the show tried desperately to make me like her by having her share a scene with Felicity. Spoiler alert, writers: one scene with the two women together doesn't erase the craptastic storyline you wrote for both women. I did not appreciate the scene at all because it was a clear attempt at baiting us into liking Samantha since she's apparently Team Olicity. Blegh. I'd rather we just forget Samantha even exists and move forward without having to dredge up that horrid story ever again.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Five Things You Didn’t Know About Arrow’s David Ramsey 
Nat Berman  May 26, 2017
http://www.tvovermind.com/arrow-2/five-things-didnt-know-arrows-david-ramsey

Ramsey has stated that as years went by without much success, he began doubting himself. He got by thanks to the support of his parents who consistently told him that he would make it if he persevered. Luckily for his fans, he was wise enough to listen to his parents.
After working on shows like Arrow and The Flash, Ramsey has come to appreciate how these productions are receptive to frequently using new directors and producers. He has stated that while acting is his primary focus, he will one day begin directing and producing.
The talented actor holds a black belt in jeet kune do, a versatile martial art founded by Bruce Lee. As well, he has trained kickboxing under the legendary Benny “Jet” Urquidez. He has also trained in boxing and tae kwon do.

5. His big break was a long time coming
4. He hopes to branch out from acting in the future
3. David Ramsey Net Worth
2. He is well educated
1. He is an expert martial artist 

ETA: I haven't seen any recent interviews with Josh Segarra.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4
(edited)

Things We Hope to See in the Arrow Season 6 Premiere
Russ Burlingame- 05/28/2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/05/28/things-we-hope-to-see-in-the-arrow-season-6-premiere/

Following up on that epic cliffhanger, the first and most important thing is that we don't just cut to six months from now, and people are either dead or alive, and there's no real explanation for why.

...Actually, that could be cool as a device for flashing back to the island to tell the story of how people were saved and recovered. That comes with both an upside and a downside, though, since season 6 will be the first season of the series without a flashback storyline, including one in the first episode back might be a gamble since it would feel like they were trying to cling to the past.

Do it right, and it could be awesome, but do it wrong and everyone will just be annoyed that the show didn't pick up the premiere right where the finale left off.

That's what we think they should do: start right where they left off, and start the episode with Oliver running over the now-destroyed terrain of Lian Yu.

It would be a nice callback to the pilot (and most subsequent premieres), and that alone would fit the "rebooted" feel of the sixth season well.
At a bare minimum, the episode should explore the consequences of Black Siren --

someone we know is a series regular next season --

-- being betrayed and left to die by Prometheus.
As much as we'd love to limit the casualties, though, it does seem like the nature of that cliffhanger demands somebody make a sacrifice. Our money is on either Deathstroke or Quentin Lance, although we really hope we're wrong.
OLICITY

Oliver and Felicity have been slowly edging back in the direction of a relationship over the last few episodes of season 5, and that's important becuase [sic] the pair really never had the on-screen heart-to-heart that their breakup demanded after it took up so much real estate in the previous two seasons.

The balance turned out to be pretty perfect for they story they were telling, even if it was maddening for shippers who wanted to find out what was going on with their favorite couple sooner than they did.

Of course, if we're going to pick up right where we left off, it's a question of how much the episode can cram into 42 minutes-ish of runtime. Oliver told Felicity when she wanted to have a moment in the finale that they would talk about it when they got off the island -- and that seems like it might be a central preoccupation of the first episode back.

Either way, there's absolutely a way to address these two's relationship status going forward without making it a focus of what's likely to be an already-packed episode and doing all the different pieces, including Olicity, a disservice. It's just a landing they have to stick, and after seeing the handling of the relationship in the last few episodes of the season we're pretty sure they can manage it.
We'd love to see Team Arrow get a little bit of a reboot, maybe a change of focus or tactics, in season 6. We aren't sure exactly what, but doing the same thing with slightly different characters year-in and year-out feels kind of self-defeating, and we're hoping that, if nothing else, Oliver learned from Prometheus that he needs to be better on his feet.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

It both amuses and concerns me when reviewers don't know basics like if season six will involve the standard time jump and flashbacks or not.  I know this stuff, so hello, the dude writing something up and posting an article should damn well take the time to be informed as well.

But then I remind myself that this person thinks Black Siren's feelings should play a prominent part in the first episode back and I lower my standards.    

• Love 5

How could they open with Oliver running across the island?  No only is there probably still fires all over, he wouldn't leave Myson alone on the boat.

Russ Burlingame makes me think that he passed Writing English 101 so they gave him a column. Didn't do so well in Thematic Analysis but that doesn't matter. But I do know  he listens to WM's interviews because no one else talks about sticking a landing.

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

At a bare minimum, the episode should explore the consequences of Black Siren --

Reveal hidden contents

someone we know is a series regular next season --

-- being betrayed and left to die by Prometheus.

What  about how Evelyn would feel?  Or Talia, who trained Chase and then supplied him with the means to get his revenge?  Unlike BS who only joined because Chase let her out of her cage, Evelyn had faith in him to avenge her parents, and Talia wanted him to right her wrong. As @insomniadreams88 said, if Black Siren weren't played by KC as LL, no one would care.

At least he's accepted that Olicity is still here to stay.  Or maybe he's really hoping for the Felicity/Oliver/Black Siren triangle next season.

• Love 4
(edited)
17 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

How could they open with Oliver running across the island?  No only is there probably still fires all over, he wouldn't leave Myson alone on the boat.

What if they have Oliver and Myson running on the island, together? ???

Edited by leopardprint
(edited)
1 hour ago, apinknightmare said:

As long as Myson trips over a branch or something so I can get a good laugh out of the situation. 

He'd probably get distracted and go play in one of Oliver's booby traps. 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 2

How could they open with Oliver running across the island?  No only is there probably still fires all over, he wouldn't leave Myson alone on the boat

He's safer on the boat probably, but I also tend to think a lot of the damage is only surface damage.  And  that at least in some areas like the beaches, there wouldn't be fires once the explosions were over.  

And I can't think that Oliver wouldn't at least get out of the boat and go check if he could while still keeping watch to make sure one of the bad girls didn't try to make a run for the boat.  Yeah, there would be some risk but a reasonable risk with great rewards. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I only quoted the Arrow sections...

The Flash And Arrow Characters We Never Want To See Again
BY LAURA HURLEY  May 27, 2017
http://www.cinemablend.com/television/1663959/the-flash-and-arrow-characters-we-never-want-to-see-again

Wild Dog
... Wild Dog is also a vigilante who feels fairly redundant. He favors firearms, can hold his own in hand-to-hand combat, and has no superpowers. Basically, he's a less skilled, less effective, and less experienced version of Diggle. Do we really need Wild Dog? If he keeps dropping "Hoss" half a dozen times in every conversation with Quentin, it might be time for Oliver to go back to shooting his sidekicks whenever they get annoying. We already know that

Wild Dog will be back in Season 6, but we don't have to be happy about it.

Laurel Lance
Over its first four seasons, Arrow tried pretty much everything to make Laurel Lance work as a character. She was a love interest and a lawyer, then an alcoholic with a vendetta, then a wannabe vigilante who wanted to fight crime in her sister's jacket, then a member of Team Arrow who was apparently secretly in love with Oliver the whole time. Laurel was an inconsistent character all the way up until her tragic death in Season 4. She's been brought back a few times for flashbacks and hallucinations, but the time is come for Arrow to let sleeping birds lie. Original Recipe Laurel is dead, we have a new Black Canary named Dinah, we have Katie Cassidy in another role, and we can all move on to brand new stories.
Malcolm Merlyn
The very first supervillain in The CW's grand superhero universe was Malcolm Merlyn back in Arrow Season 1, and he was a pretty great villain, not least because he was played by the fantastic John Barrowman. He managed to come back time and time again, no matter how dead he seemed or how many lines he crossed. By a certain point, however, it became ridiculous that nobody had just snapped and killed the man. Malcolm's survival despite drugging Thea, giving up Oliver's son to Damien Darhk, and joining the Legion of Doom on top of the Undertaking felt contrived by the end. He was killed in the Season 5 finale, and it would be best for everybody if he stayed dead and gone.
Susan Williams
When news first broke that Carly Pope would be playing journalist Susan Williams in Arrow Season 5, it seemed like Arrow was going in a new direction by putting Oliver rather than the Green Arrow under investigation by a neutral party. When Season 5 kicked off, however, episodes never seemed too clear on whether she was an intrepid investigator, a respectable journalist of principles, or a political reporter who didn't care about conflicts of interest if the mayor batted his baby blues at her. At times, it was hard to tell if we were supposed to be rooting for her or against her, and Oliver seemed to lose all higher reasoning around her. The show won't be missing anything if she never comes back.
Pre-Island Ollie
... If we're lucky, the end of the flashback narrative (and the fact that Stephen Amell really can't pass for 22 anymore) will translate to never seeing Pre-Island Ollie ever again. Sure, Pre-Island Ollie wasn't exactly the most despicable character ever to debut on Arrow, but Sir Poorly Coiffed Cheats-A-Lot could be pretty difficult to watch. Present Oliver is so much more palatable, visually and emotionally.
Evelyn Sharp
There have been problems with Evelyn Sharp ever since Oliver first decided to let her join Team Arrow in the beginning of Season 5. She was 17 years old when Oliver let her hit the deadly streets of Star City, and he really only has himself to blame that she was in a position to be recruited by Prometheus. Once she was no longer especially useful to Prometheus as a way in to Team Arrow, it stopped making sense why Prometheus would keep her around all the time. She's literally a teenage girl who doesn't have the experience, training, or size to take out any of her opponents, so it's hard to take her seriously. If we never see her again after Lian Yu blew up, the Arrow-verse won't suffer in the slightest.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Did Susan's story ever have that "cool payoff" that MG mentioned? I'm gonna say...no. What an unbelievably pointless character. Wow.

Perhaps @BkWurm1 would be so kind as to ask MG on Tumblr for us because I am dying of curiousity. I definitely cannot let it go. 

I think he will say the payoff was the kidnapping but as to if that was the original plan  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

Edited by leopardprint

I think the payoff maybe was that the person they painted as being shady all season wasn't actually shady? If they'd been wanting to do a reporter storyline for years and that's the best they could come up with, then bless them. They're worse than I thought.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, leopardprint said:

Perhaps @BkWurm1 would be so kind as to ask MG on Tumblr for us because I am dying of curiousity. I definitely cannot let it go. 

I think he will say the payoff was the kidnapping but as to if that was the original plan  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. 

Nah, the less said about Susan the better. Apathy!

I seriously don't know. I always assumed it would be something to do with her profession but alas!

Just now, apinknightmare said:

I think the payoff maybe was that the person they painted as being shady all season wasn't actually shady? If they'd been wanting to do a reporter storyline for years and that's the best they could come up with, then bless them. They're worse than I thought.

But...she was shady though? LMAO. The fact that they don't get this just baffles me!

• Love 1

I really think there was something with the bratva she was supposed to be involved with but they dropped it for whatever reason.I really can't believe the idea was have her date Oliver,find out he's GA and do absolutely nothing with it,lose job,get job back next episode,get kidnapped,dumped and disappear.Like if that was their plan,how did it sound good or interesting to them especially when they said they wanted to do a reporter storyline since season 1.

• Love 5
(edited)

They spent a lot of time setting up the private investigator (who she kept meeting with while they dated MG! How is that not shady? FFS!?!?!) for it to have been just to trick the audience. 

And she did deliberately screw over Thea! She was shady! It was the dumbest execution of will they/won't they I have ever seen and I have watched some bad television. 

IMG_3116.GIF.7ab976f88a0c94e3968afad183f46c34.GIF

I can't let it go, @Angel12d, I have to know! 

Edited by leopardprint
  • Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

But...she was shady though? LMAO. The fact that they don't get this just baffles me!

Nooooooooo she really cared about Oliver and totally didn't stalk him and date him for a story!

A story that she never ended up writing! What a woman.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 4