Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

Anyone have any podcasts to recommend?  I've listened to the After Buzz podcast, which is fine.  I tried Quiver after "The Calm" but it was so anti-Olicity I didn't finish it.  I don't mind if someone doesn't ship, doesn't ship Olicity, or even doesn't like Felicity.  But this had the very tinge of "the kiss was just fan pandering" which drives me insane.  I think there was also a comment along the lines of "It's not canon.  Go read some fanfic and enjoy it there, but it's not on the show."  Jeez.  Any others to check out?

The only podcast I've stuck with is John Campea's Arrow Aftershow because I agree with most of what he says. The second season is on his youtube channel. For the third they moved to Stream.tv. I like his because he is very articulate and pleasant in his reviews, which makes sense, because for his real job he does movie reviews and interviews for AMC movies. His wife Ann and their friend Kaori are with him. They talk about what they liked and didn't like about each episode. John and Ann don't like Laurel and loved Sara and Kaori didn't like Sara and doesn't mind Laurel, so it's sometimes okay to hear opposing viewpoints.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGYmtexynt_Egz8kNR1HbA2kiRzhM0FKv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2e-SLEQIlo

Edited by Sakura12

Whenever I see John Barrowman, I keep expecting him to break out in song and dance, so if Arrow were a musical...

Malcolm finds out that Oliver is coming to see Thea tomorrow and wants Thea to refuse to see her brother (set to music from West Side Story) - 

A boy like that who'd kill your father,
Forget that boy, forget your brother!
I am your own kind,
Stick to your own kind!

A boy like that will give you sorrow,
He'll tell you lies now and tomorrow!
I am your own kind,
Stick to your own kind!

A boy who lies has no part
In your new life, in your new start,
He gets no part,
Your new start, my Thea, your new start!

A boy like that wants one thing only,
He'll hide you safe but leave you lonely,
I'll give you new life; he ended mine.

Just stay and see, my Thea,
Just stay and see!

• Love 6

Whenever I see John Barrowman, I keep expecting him to break out in song and dance, so if Arrow were a musical...

Malcolm finds out that Oliver is coming to see Thea tomorrow and wants Thea to refuse to see her brother (set to music from West Side Story) - 

A boy like that who'd kill your father,

Forget that boy, forget your brother!

I am your own kind,

Stick to your own kind!

A boy like that will give you sorrow,

He'll tell you lies now and tomorrow!

I am your own kind,

Stick to your own kind!

A boy who lies has no part

In your new life, in your new start,

He gets no part,

Your new start, my Thea, your new start!

A boy like that wants one thing only,

He'll hide you safe but leave you lonely,

I'll give you new life; he ended mine.

Just stay and see, my Thea,

Just stay and see!

Awesome. 

I think I'd like to read fic that puts Felicity in the Laurel role does anyone have recs?

The first one that comes to my mind is Sarcasticfina's series: If I Were a Better Man: [Pre-Island AU] When Oliver Queen meets Felicity Smoak, he's a billionaire playboy who likes the challenge. But she's not interested in being a notch on his bedpost and he has to decide if the life he leads is worth losing someone as remarkable as her.

There's 3 parts to the story, the first has the meeting before the Gambit, then the second is those 5 years for Felicity, Tommy and Thea, and the third is Oliver's return home. The first part is finished and the two others have yet to be completed. The author is still on an Arrow-writing hiatus but she does plan to continue them.

Sarcasticfina also has: and I will love you always (with the passion of the sun): Love is never as simple as it should be. When Felicity is fifteen years old, she meets two boys; the two great loves of her life.

I do know that there are more I just can't think of them at the moment. (Lee is one of my favourite authors so her fics are usually the first that come to my mind). Apologies to all the other lovely wonderful authors who have written similar stories. I know they are out there, and I have read them but sometimes my memory sucks).

Edited by HighHopes
  • Love 1

SarcasticFina is just the best.  I second the "If I Were A Better Man" rec, I love that series so much.  It was one of two fics that immediately came to mind (although, yeah, I know there are more...).

The other is Sins by SmoakandArrow.  Felicity as the woman Oliver left behind to go on the Gambit (no cheating, no sister, though).  It's currently unfinished, but she was recently asked and has promised she's working on the rest of it.

Oliver: "I can't be with Felicity, she distracts me from this mission."

Diggle: "Oliver, I manage to have a more or less functional relationship with my kick-ass wife and daughter.  I'm sure you and Felicity can work it out."

Oliver: "No, I mean she literally distracts me from this mission. Have you seen some of the outfits she's been wearing lately? I can't shoot straight! Yowza!"

• Love 3

bringing this from the relationship thread, a part of my own post:

*FYI I am growing infatuated by the Oliver x Tommy slash (with Felicity threesome too- cause those are actually really hot!!) fanfics.. does Oliver and Tommy have a ship name? we really need to get them one... Tomiver? Olivey? OllieTom? Wiz-Arrow? Queerlyn?

Oh!! I kind of like the last one... I know, I know! not very PC, But.! it has a nice ring to it and it doesn't sound like a rip-off from Olicity or Lauliver.

I actually googled it and couldn't find anything.

I repeat, I am liking the Queerlyn name the most. but PC has never been my strong suit.

and naturally the threesome of Felicity x Oliver X Tommy will be called Smoaking Queerlyn.

ETA: yea i like it. i'm sticking with Queerlyn until someone comes up with a better name.

Edited by foreverevolving

bringing this from the relationship thread, a part of my own post:

I actually googled it and couldn't find anything.

I repeat, I am liking the Queerlyn name the most. but PC has never been my strong suit.

and naturally the threesome of Felicity x Oliver X Tommy will be called Smoaking Queerlyn.

ETA: yea i like it. i'm sticking with Queerlyn until someone comes up with a better name.

PC or not (I don't think I am the one to decide that) it does have the benefit of being a perfectly true mashup of their last names.  

• Love 1

PC or not (I don't think I am the one to decide that) it does have the benefit of being a perfectly true mashup of their last names.  

Yea, but you know. ship names has to be wildly accepted by the fandom too, and well... fandoms, trying to predict them is like the EP's saying they predicted Olicity becoming the main OTP.

but yea.

continuing on the same idea: Moira x Malcolm- Wizard's Queen. may need a bit of work..

And i now have a desperate need for a Malcolm x Moira x Robert one... that's gonna take a bit of work.

Yea it's 4 am and i am thinking up ship names - there are worse ways to spend ones night- mainly because my bed has been conquered by four cats and there is zero space on it for me so.. i need something to do.. they look so comfy i don't have the heart to move them.

Yea it's 4 am and i am thinking up ship names - there are worse ways to spend ones night- mainly because my bed has been conquered by four cats and there is zero space on it for me so.. i need something to do.. they look so comfy i don't have the heart to move them.

I feel your pain.  My problem lately is if I stand up even to go to the bathroom, a cat will plop itself down in my spot and then give me the "how could you?" look when I insist on reclaiming it. 

• Love 2

I feel your pain.  My problem lately is if I stand up even to go to the bathroom, a cat will plop itself down in my spot and then give me the "how could you?" look when I insist on reclaiming it. 

it's the weather, they are looking for warm spots. i live in the north-east. it's been getting chillier and chillier here.. which is why they have been extra snugly, both with me and with each other.

Apparently Oliver x Tommy x Felicity ship already have a name: Smoaking Billionaires.

well okay it's not official, just used by a fanfic writer, but i kind of like it better... yea i've been spending my day reading FOT threesome fics (and when i say fics they are really not many of them- which is upsetting the brand new shipper in me.. is this how the Laurliver shippers feel when going into ff.net and AO3?). it makes me wish once again that Tommy had lived.

• Love 2

Anyone have any podcasts to recommend?  I've listened to the After Buzz podcast, which is fine.  I tried Quiver after "The Calm" but it was so anti-Olicity I didn't finish it.  I don't mind if someone doesn't ship, doesn't ship Olicity, or even doesn't like Felicity.  But this had the very tinge of "the kiss was just fan pandering" which drives me insane.  I think there was also a comment along the lines of "It's not canon.  Go read some fanfic and enjoy it there, but it's not on the show."  Jeez.  Any others to check out?

If you don't mind explicit language and Laurel constantly referred to as Horseface, complete with whinny and galloping sound effects, then you should give The RealmCast's Arrow Rundown a try. I'm usually in tears over each episode :D

• Love 2

If you don't mind explicit language and Laurel constantly referred to as Horseface, complete with whinny and galloping sound effects, then you should give The RealmCast's Arrow Rundown a try. I'm usually in tears over each episode :D

I've just listened to the podcast for "Sara" lol

"Is Oliver in a funk? Is that maybe what was going on here?"

"Maybe it was a horse yelling into his earpiece while he's trying to concentrate!"

I'm dead. :) Thank you for posting this, now I'll listen to each and everyone!

Glad you guys enjoy it too - I usually have to fight really hard not to laugh out loud when I'm listening to it at work :D

"Semi-attractive"?  Ouch.

Meanwhile Felicity is "Her Royal Hotness" :DDD

Thanks for the link. They aren't haters. They totally get the real criticism with the portrayal of Laurel. Their analysis is spot on.

Actually, they're total fanboys. In some episodes they almost have an orgasm over the better parts of the show :D

It was interesting that the didn't talk about the kiss between Oliver and Felicity at all - unless I spaced out at that moment?

Otherwise, I thought their analysis was pretty good.

I'll be listening to their podcast for other episodes, too.  I didn't see one for 3.03...

Thank you for this!

I'm listening to "Sara" & these guys are hilarious. The "why you touchin' my guns, bitch?" plus the horse sound effects literally has me in tears, & their take on the Laurel/Felicity cave scene is EXACTLY what was going through my mind as I was watching.

Seriously though, they have a clear view of what does not work & it's interesting to hear their criticism.

• Love 1

That's a fun podcast @Marihunc. Thanks for bringing that here.  I had to laugh I threw it on my Ipod this morning because I was going hiking and the horse sound effects startled me to the point I thought there was a neigh horse behind me on the trail. I was glad to hear them complain about Laurel ordering Felicity around.  

This weekend I found a list of Arrow podcasts on Reddit. ( can't speak to how good any of them are other than the one Marihunc gave but I thought I would leave the list here if anyone is looking for more opinions to listen to.

Here is a list of Arrow podcasts and after shows that I recommend:

Quiver: The Green Arrow Podcast: http://quiverpodcast.com/

Green Justice: An Arrow Podcast: http://www.randomchatter.com/category/podcasts/greenjustice/

John Campea’s Arrow After Show:http://www.youtube.com/user/MovieBlogTV?feature=watch

TV Talk - Arrow: http://tvtalk.com/shows/listen?seriesId=257655#.Uq_nySewWAw

The Realm Cast - The Rundown: Arrow: http://therealmcast.com/?s=arrow#sthash.i3V26ZT0.dpbs

AfterBuzz TV’s Arrow After Show: http://site.afterbuzztv.com/cat_shows/arrow-afterbuzz-tv-aftershow/

The Green Screen Podcast: http://greenscreenpodcast.com/

Arrow - On Target: http://www.stayontargetpodcast.com/category/arrow-on-target/

IWatchMike.com: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/iwatchmike

Longbow Hunters Podcast: http://acrosstheairwaves.com/arrowpodcast

The Undertaking - An Arrow Podcast: http://theundertakingpodcast.podomatic.com

• Love 2

It was interesting that the didn't talk about the kiss between Oliver and Felicity at all - unless I spaced out at that moment?

They barely mentioned Oliver's conversation about dying with Felicity, but got really excited over the Oliver/Diggle conversation at the end of the episode because that's what they've really been missing.    

It seems like they don't like Olicity because Felicity is his "subordinate" whereas Sara was "his equal" and they don't want her to ruin the show with her girlyness (although they like her physical appearance).

It sounds like if they ship anything, it's the Oliver/Diggle bromance.

ETA:  they didn't know Felicity was Jewish? Where have they been?

Edited by statsgirl

Otherwise, I thought their analysis was pretty good.

I'll be listening to their podcast for other episodes, too.  I didn't see one for 3.03...

Well they are against Oliver/Felicity in general :p I went through those podcasts @Orion posted, and it seems as though most of them don't really care for or like Oliver/Felicity for varying reasons, no chemistry, ruin the dynamics of team arrow etc. Most of them also didn't like Laurel, but some of them liked the general direction she was heading in but it's a long road until they like her character... But all of them were devastated about Sara's death... It's interesting to see different POVs on this. 

Edited by wonderwall

I just got done with all their Arrow podcasts & really enjoyed them. It's nice that the guys are so enthused about the show - it did leave me feeling somewhat less bitter, even if temporarily.

I can't post images, but someone Tweeted them this fan art a while back: http://twitter.com/DANgerous124/status/468876377333456899/photo/1

• Love 2