Type keyword(s) to search

Clock Tower Theater: Fanfic, Fan Music Videos and Art

Luckylyn
  • Start Topic

Hi Guys! Thanks for the recc and lively discussion about Still Waters and Quiet Men. Hope I continue to entertain and challenge you, and I appreciate all the feedback in whatever way it was intended.

I gave up on this fic around chapter 15 so you stuck it out longer than I. Whilst I am fine with Brulicity or Bruce/Felicity in general, in this fic I could not relate to his character. Yes, I know Bruce is a controlling SoB with issues but he is not this dire to me in my experience of the character.

Of particular issue for me was just how far out of character Felicity was portrayed; to an extent where I could no longer root for nor like her. Her tearful family history from 2.13 which, in addition to the cocktail waitress comment, was all we had in canon to that point, seemed to play with Oliver given the backstory created

because not only has she a loving adopted father but also siblings you have her being close to yet never referred to and an entire network of friends that she blew off because of Bruce

The final note for me was when the author described Felicity in her reply to my comment as "She can be highly manipulative, she has secrets, her hands are no longer as clean as they once were." Felicity is growing and evolving on screen but I hope I never see a version of her that is "highly manipulative".

JMHO.

Yeah, I regret reading as much of this story as I did - Bruce is one of the worst characters I've ever come across and Oliver's not much better. The abusive, unhealthy relationships are extremely off-putting, on top of which the writer turned Felicity into a wildly out of character Mary-Sue, which annoyed the crap out of me (though I suppose it's actually better that way, because, names aside, this story didn't in any way resemble anything from the show).

see I don't have an problem with writers taking some liberty- on AU stories only!- and playing with the characters character a bit, as a fanfic writer myself I get it. curse the muse. but it still needs to stay within a reasonable narrative.
now as I said my personal issue wasn't Felicity par say, but the behavior of Bruce towards her, and her allowing it to a degree. I have an issue with men trying to boss women around in a high and mighty sort of way.

The characters are definitely acting OOC, and almost everybody loves/likes Felicity, which can get old, but that happens on the show also, so I gave that aspect a pass. I ,too, like Felicity.

If I were the kind of person who feels these things strongly enough, I would question the fact that her family and friends, who love her and are protective of her, did not visit her at all while she was in Starling City.

In any case, I like the overall story and am looking forward to the direction it is taking now. (BOP and more)

There's an epic, Felicity centric, fic ongoing at the moment (currently up to chapter 45) called Still Waters and Quiet Men: A Starling Mystery http://archiveofourown.org/works/1810720/chapters/3885838 by Lademonessa. It takes place sometime after season 3 and it gives Felicity one hell of a backstory. There's a case to be made that Felicity is somewhat out of character but, well, see backstory. It's one of the three best written fanfics I've ever read (the other two were in different fandoms and some years back now).

Thanks for recc'ing my story. I'm glad you're enjoying it! ;P

Edited by stacey
Merging multiple posts

I kinda find it really awesome that there are a lot of Arrow fic writers lurking/posting around the forums. Thanks for all the entertainment, guys! I appreciate all your work and efforts so much. All the amazing fanfic of the show makes me so happy, in spite of the disappointment I'm finding in the actual Show this season. So, kudos!

• Love 6

Oyhumbug has a new fic Deputy Mommy with Walter, and I think she does a really good job of getting his voice.   And these lines, ouch.

“And here I thought your generation dated in order to have sex.”

Felicity briefly broke eye contact with Oliver to flick her gaze over towards the new arrival, over towards the person who had just spoken. “No. That's separate. In fact, it's been my recent experience that dating doesn't even include kissing.” Because that was saved for breaking up.

I'm actually really enjoying the Arrow'd version of The Hunger Games fic. It's a nice little spin and the writing is pretty great so far! It's called The Firebird. I'm wondering how Felicity is going to fare in it. I'm pretty sure she'll be using her tech skills in the games... Also it's cool how they included Slade Wilson and Ray Palmer into it. Very interested in seeing much more of this!

• Love 1

Second the recommendation for The Firebird I like how they slotted the characters into the various roles.

Some other reads….

Cute AU fic where Oliver meets Felicity in college called First Impressions by skimmy77

Also recommending latbfan's ongoing "Series of in-canon fill-in-the-blank and imagined one-shots between Oliver and Felicity" How was your day?

I don't usually like first person narratives for Fanfiction, but I really like the author's voice for Oliver and Felicity, and enjoyed the instalment for 3.05.

I also love latbfan's other major Arrow work All I want for Christmas

• Love 2

I recently discovered fan fiction for arrow. Loving the stories. Times like these (completed) and broken arrows (in progress) are my favorites. There were a couple stories that I thought had great potential: queen's champion (writer stopped updating) and billionaire bachelor.

• Love 1

I recently discovered fan fiction for arrow. Loving the stories. Times like these (completed) and broken arrows (in progress) are my favorites. There were a couple stories that I thought had great potential: queen's champion (writer stopped updating) and billionaire bachelor.

My friend, when you discover Sarcasticfina you will die. I love her stories!

Also if any of you want a good angsty fic, read Felicity's Ghost. Truly heartbreaking.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

I love VeritasProductions' videos. Always crisply edited, the songs are perfect and clip selection is spot on. This is one of my favorites and it's from November 2013 so the clips are fairly old but it's still very good

Edited by SmallScreenDiva
  • Love 3

MISERY LOVES COMPANY DAMMIT. 

If you need make up for that angsty heartbreaking fic, SarcasticFina recently posted a new one shot.. Which is future established Olicity smut. 

Speaking of established Olicity, lizook12 writes some of my favourite of it. There's some smut, but a lot of it is just happy (usually married) Olicity one shots. 

Edited by HighHopes

Hahaha sometimes the fan fiction stories are a great salve for what is happening on screen.

I read up a couple of sarcasticfina. Soo good and angsty!

Many of sarcasticfina's are excellent! If I could make one suggestion it would be to stick with her completed works as she's been on an extended hiatus from Arrow fics since early in the year. 

• Love 1

As someone who is relatively new to the Arrow fandom, can anyone recommend some good Olicity fanfic preferrably from season 2 before Moira dies or season 1? It's been so long since I've looked for fan fiction that I don't even know where to go to anymore.

As someone who is relatively new to the Arrow fandom, can anyone recommend some good Olicity fanfic preferrably from season 2 before Moira dies or season 1? It's been so long since I've looked for fan fiction that I don't even know where to go to anymore.

Well, I can't think any right now but you should go here:

X or here X

I took the liberty to sort from the  most popular to the least so it'll help you choose which ones to read.

The earlier posts Page 1 in this thread pretty much have the all the good starting Fanfic recs.

My rule of thumb for deciding what to read is a minimum 10 comments per chapter = well written.
Also be wary of OC usual the authors stop writing about the characters you want to read about, and start making it all about the OC.

• Love 1

I can't find it listed here recently but has anyone recommended "Technical Assistance" by thatmasquedgirl?  I burned through all 33 chapters (it's a WIP, gets updated weekly and has additional side stories).

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1359190?view_full_work=true

I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  It's AU, sort of - it pulls in a lot of S1 stories (so far) and embellishes them. The voices seem to be pretty much in character so far with the added bonus of Tommy becoming friends with Felicity and Barry being himself BUT also very much a part of Felicity's life.  I really like how it's being done.

• Love 5

I can't find it listed here recently but has anyone recommended "Technical Assistance" by thatmasquedgirl?  I burned through all 33 chapters (it's a WIP, gets updated weekly and has additional side stories).

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1359190?view_full_work=true

I'm thoroughly enjoying it.  It's AU, sort of - it pulls in a lot of S1 stories (so far) and embellishes them. The voices seem to be pretty much in character so far with the added bonus of Tommy becoming friends with Felicity and Barry being himself BUT also very much a part of Felicity's life.  I really like how it's being done.

I really like this story too. It's one of my favorites! My only gripe is that I don't understand why some of the chapters are posted as side-stories, especially since they're relevant to the plot of the main story, and are actually required reading if you want to understand what's going on in the main story.

• Love 2

The earlier posts Page 1 in this thread pretty much have the all the good starting Fanfic recs.

My rule of thumb for deciding what to read is a minimum 10 comments per chapter = well written.

Also be wary of OC usual the authors stop writing about the characters you want to read about, and start making it all about the OC.

I avoid OC at all costs. It is what SPN mocked the other day as "inserting yourself into the story." Typically you run into what is currently happening on Arrow. The Arrow characters become OOC.  

I like stories on Archive of Our Own by 

Redtoes

ChaseTheWind (lots of smut)

Anthfan (most original and well-written I've seen)

On Archive you can then see what good writers have bookmarked. It is how I find other authors. 

• Love 1

I like Anthfan's shorter fic. In the longer ones, I think Felicity gets too weepy.

Going to an author's bookmarks works on fanfiction.net too if you go to their page and look for authors they like.  It's often how I find new authors.  Doesn't always work but most if the time it's very good.

^^^ That's been a puzzler for me, too.  I think the author may be trying to keep word count to a reasonable length? other than that, no clue.

At this point, I don't care. I like how regular and in-character her characters are.   I'm especially appreciative this season because I know when the on-screen Arrow episode sucks, I can wait a day for her fic and all's right in the Arrow universe.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

Thanks for the recommendations. I tried to wade through Fanfiction.net but there were just too many stories. I am trying to avoid angst stories because the show is so dark right now. But, anything Olicity centered that involves the rest of the cast reacting to them as a couple is enjoyable particularly if it takes place before Moira was killed. I think Moira's reaction to her son dating Felicity would be a riot.

If I see one more fic staring Oliver's long lost twin sister Olivia Queen...

I've previously expressed my disdain over summaries and title info that lacks proper capitalization, punctuation and spelling.  Let me add to that a certain - perhaps unfounded - hatred for titles that are like ten words long, often with part of it in parentheses.  For some reason I can't bring myself to read those.  They just seem too  amateurish and that is saying a lot for fanfiction.

So the author who created Felicity's Ghost just posted another one-shot. One part, I feel, is a bit questionable (you'll know if/when you read it) but damn I'd be lying if I didn't say this didn't make me tear up! It's different, it's bitter-sweet (more bitter), but it's just ugh. Just read it. It's essentially rooted in canon but is also an AU. 

Oh and this is pure Oliver/Felicity. For those of you who aren't very interested then yeah you shouldn't read this lol

Check it out here: Strangers Again

Edited by wonderwall

Thanks for the recommendations. I tried to wade through Fanfiction.net but there were just too many stories. I am trying to avoid angst stories because the show is so dark right now. But, anything Olicity centered that involves the rest of the cast reacting to them as a couple is enjoyable particularly if it takes place before Moira was killed. I think Moira's reaction to her son dating Felicity would be a riot.

I would highly (highly) recommend Apinknightmare's fics. Her story "Between the Shadow and the Soul" absolutely controlled my life for the 16 days she posted it. (She did one chapter a day and myself among others would refresh AO3 until it was posted). That fic also completely ruined season three for me. So thank you for that. 

Her one shots are also brilliant- Unthinkable (set after Oliver leaves Felicity at the mansion in the finale) is probably one of my favourites but I don't think I could actually pick one if you made me. 

• Love 4

Try using this site. I linked the top ten authors page.

• Love 1

So the author who created Felicity's Ghost just posted another one-shot. One part, I feel, is a bit questionable (you'll know if/when you read it) but damn I'd be lying if I didn't say this didn't make me tear up! It's different, it's bitter-sweet (more bitter), but it's just ugh. Just read it. It's essentially rooted in canon but is also an AU. 

Oh and this is pure Oliver/Felicity. For those of you who aren't very interested then yeah you shouldn't read this lol

OMG that was soooo sad!!

If I see one more fic staring Oliver's long lost twin sister Olivia Queen...

I've previously expressed my disdain over summaries and title info that lacks proper capitalization, punctuation and spelling.  Let me add to that a certain - perhaps unfounded - hatred for titles that are like ten words long, often with part of it in parentheses.  For some reason I can't bring myself to read those.  They just seem too  amateurish and that is saying a lot for fanfiction.

LOL. you'll never read my fics than.. :-P (not that I have any published Arrow ones) I've been told i'm a pretty good writer, just.. punctuation and all that jazz..

I don't mind long titles, I do mind shitty summaries where the entire plot is pretty much explained in the summary- and usually in a bad way. suspense people, that's how you write a good summary. than again, sometimes you have a really awesome summary only to find out the story is badly written.

Personally the ones i dislike the most are the ones that have a really great story idea that is ruined because the author is either a shitty writer or a has limited writing range, or is not suited for that type of genre or story (angst, comedy, drama and so forth). It annoys me to no end when a writer fails to see their own writing limitations. as a fanfic reader and writer I hate it.

I mean i know i'm by no means a perfect writer, but I am aware of my drawbacks - and I try to work on them. it's also why i just don't post, i have zero patience or time to beta and edit my stories, and publishing an unbetad story is only done if i think the story is worth it.

Edited by foreverevolving

Man. I don't really read fan fiction, but shit that was just ... Jesus, talk about depressing! Well written though.

• Love 1

Man. I don't really read fan fiction, but shit that was just ... Jesus, talk about depressing! Well written though.

OMG that was soooo sad!!

Ugh misery loves company. It really was sad :/ Literally just as sad as Felicity's ghost. IDK what's wrong with this writer lol

• Love 1

I would highly (highly) recommend Apinknightmare's fics. Her story "Between the Shadow and the Soul" absolutely controlled my life for the 16 days she posted it. (She did one chapter a day and myself among others would refresh AO3 until it was posted). That fic also completely ruined season three for me. So thank you for that. 

Her one shots are also brilliant- Unthinkable (set after Oliver leaves Felicity at the mansion in the finale) is probably one of my favourites but I don't think I could actually pick one if you made me.

Thanks for the recommendations. I really liked Between.

Try using this site. I linked the top ten authors page.

Awesome. Thanks for the link.

You  should listen to therealmcast.com for The Secret Origin of Felicity Smoak I laughed from the beginning to the end.  They are totally in love with Felicity and Mama Smoak.  They are late putting it up but it's worth it.

Edited by BunsenBurner
  • Love 1

LOL. you'll never read my fics than.. :-P (not that I have any published Arrow ones) I've been told i'm a pretty good writer, just.. punctuation and all that jazz..

I don't mind long titles, I do mind shitty summaries where the entire plot is pretty much explained in the summary- and usually in a bad way. suspense people, that's how you write a good summary. than again, sometimes you have a really awesome summary only to find out the story is badly written.

Personally the ones i dislike the most are the ones that have a really great story idea that is ruined because the author is either a shitty writer or a has limited writing range, or is not suited for that type of genre or story (angst, comedy, drama and so forth). It annoys me to no end when a writer fails to see their own writing limitations. as a fanfic reader and writer I hate it.

I mean i know i'm by no means a perfect writer, but I am aware of my drawbacks - and I try to work on them. it's also why i just don't post, i have zero patience or time to beta and edit my stories, and publishing an unbetad story is only done if i think the story is worth it.

Oh, my standards aren't that hard to meet.  I'm not the punctuation police, I just want names, places and first letters of sentences capitalized and quotes and periods used where appropriate.  Also, use italics sparingly, but that's just my own personal pet peeveLet the words speak for themselves.  It gets so irritating to be hit over the head where the extra stress should be placed on which word.  ;)