Type keyword(s) to search

19 Things I Hate About You: How the Duggars Infuriate

• Start Topic

This is kind of arbitrary, but it drives me absolutely nuts that MEchelle always says "grandbabies" instead of "grandchildren."

I'll have to keep that in mind... I'm a little silly and I call mine (collectively) the first thing that comes to mind. Grand babies, grand ones, Grandthing 1 and Grandthing 2, and sometimes just "The Grands". I had never seen this show at all until very recently, and we have (all!) referred to my Grands as the littles, middles and the bigs because they naturally fall into 3 age brackets. We thought it quite clever. I can tell you I've stopped THAT pretty darn quick!

• Love 3

I'll have to keep your very excellent ideas in mind, Happyfatchick, for the day when I have grandchildren of my own! Lookeyloo, I do hear "grandbabies" quite a lot (I live in the South, too, though I doubt the expression is limited by geography), and I'll probably use it myself some day when talking about grandchildren who are, you know, babies. . But I think I'm bothered that MEchelle seems to use that term to the exclusion of all others, at least in my observation. It seems like more evidence of her baby mania. Does she realize that Mack isn't a baby any more? Does she even notice Mack anymore?

• Love 2

Michelle's a nut job, but that clip of James squalling and then turning it "off" as soon as she says something to him is not a sign that she abused her kids. 3 year old (that's how old he looks to me, and he's a doll) have tantrums and fits. I've seen many, many kids turn the tears and screaming on and off as quickly as James did. Sometimes, all it takes is a distraction, sometimes they just change their minds, sometimes, a bribe of a sucker or whatever is enough to stop it. This just isn't an instance of Michelle putting The Fear into him.  A lot of times kids know they're being total brats, and will stop it as soon as they get their way or they just change their minds and are onto the next thing.

• Love 7

I think there is just a serious level of immaturity in the Duggars. The little one interviewed with her(Jordan? Jenny?) seems young for her age too

Agreed 100%, and I think this extra-long Talking Head-fest gave us a treasure trove of evidence as to just how immature, delayed, and far behind they are in their developmental markers. The 11-12 year olds behave and talk like first graders; the 5-6 year olds could be mistaken for toddlers. It's just so pathetic that it borders on criminal that these children have been suppressed/oppressed/held back by their Neanderthal parents that I wonder if they'll EVER be able to operate in the real world. 

I'm probably biased here because I had an amazing father who encouraged me in every way, including gender-blind ways, very rare for the early 1970s. We had tea parties and also played with GI Joes. We built couch forts and "camped" in the living room and set up HotWheels tracks with my dolls set up as "spectators". He read to me every single day until I could read at age 4 and then I read to HIM. I see nothing - NOTHING - like this in the Duggar household. It's all babies, laundry, babies, warbling along with those damnable violins that make your fillings feel like they're going to explode, babies, endless awkward, uncomfortable "lesson" conversations that are eye-rollingly trite, and did I mention babies ?

Even the things they do with the kids that would ostensibly be fun are marred by repeated reminders of their modesty (hence the boys swimming in jeans, an undershirt, and a Polo shirt !) or some other explanation of why they do what they do. Seriously, it's never just "We're gonna do this..." - it's always "We're gonna do this because we were purposed to do so, because the Lord put it on our hearts, because the Bible tells us so" and on and on. 

Are they so arrogant that they believe that God is THAT interested in the tedious minutiae of their day to day lives ? Like the Lord has a reminder app on his iPhone to check if any wayward Duggar knees have popped up in the last day ? For Pete's sake, if you want to glorify the Lord, make your children worthy of the gifts they've been bestowed with ! Encourage their curiosity, take them to museums, allow them to see important films and read important books. See a play, go on an archeological dig for arrowheads on your own land, expose them to music that doesn't include "The Blood of the Lamb Will Melt Your Face Off" or whatever it's called. 

I know, I know - I ask too much, I hope too much. It's just so galling that for Michelle and JB, a couple who devotes the vast majority of their time trying to procreate (and doing so in a very public, un-Godly, libidinous, lascivious way !) that they pay so very little attention to raising and loving the "flowers in their garden". They want children with an obsessive ferocity that borders on mania, but once they arrive they're shuffled off to a buddy and a life of unimaginative, tedious repetition that's created a whole generation of lackluster, monotonous, robots with virtually no real-life skills. I would LOVE, for example, to know how many of the kids can actually read. Their verbal skills are poor, at best, and atrocious, at worst, and their knowledge of seemingly common things are just pathetic. 

What's a "gag" gift ? No idea ? Jeezy-Chreezy, Batman ! Time to let the kids out of the cage...

• Love 20
(edited)

Are they so arrogant that they believe that God is THAT interested in the tedious minutiae of their day to day lives ? Like the Lord has a reminder app on his iPhone to check if any wayward Duggar knees have popped up in the last day ?

SomePity, YOU are one of the main posters I look for.  You crack me UPPPP!!!  I wanted to comment on almost everything you said above, but am sticking with this one little snippet.  They are doing GOD'S work by tending to the minutiae of their every breathing moment.  GOD made Jim Bob the head ruling patriarch  just so God himself wouldn't have to tend to matters such as these.  I'm not fluffing, they really DO believe the man is to emulate God, to be Christlike in all things.  (Also a key reason the D family doesn't seem to have all that much FUN in life.  They have taken on this straight strict countenance that they consider to be Christlike.  JB IS God's representative on earth.  Head of the family.  Wife under him, all their little blessings lined up under her.  Girls get married, Dilly and Dullwald have been accepted as Heads of Family.  The more arrows in his quiver (and he gets to count grandchildren), the more favor he finds with God.  Women are nothing, basically.  They are jewels, and are meant to be pretty and feminine and held up as the vessels for delivering more arrows to the quiver. 

THAT'S WHAT I'M SAYING!!!!  Gothard's single most pointed position is this very thing. 

Sadly, I snark and I snigger and I stare - but I'm still essentially torn by this myself.  I was RAISED this way.  It's hard to let go.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 8

Listening to the younger children in the TH (from 10? years old on down), to me is a bit worrisome.  Their lack of syntax and vocabulary is to me at odds with their ages.  I teach second/third grade (a combo class) and about a third of students are English Language Learners and their use of English and incorporating new vocabulary seems to outpace this group of monolingual children.  I would like to see them do what the students at my school are currently doing. From kinder up to fifth grade, students are working on science research projects that will be presented to their parents at Open House in two weeks.  How cool would it be to see the\ Dugger children really interested in the life cycle of the butterfly? Watching the caterpillar eat and make its pupa? (That's what the first graders are doing their "research" on) Or to be interested in animals, their habitats, life cycles (second grade)?  My second graders are using words like habitat, carnivore, predator in context with their projects, and actively finding out information to add to their reports. Because the Dugger children are "homeschooled" they have so many avenues open to them that could be so enriching!!  I wish I could have the time that they have to really delve into subjects of interest for my students!  The various opportunities that the children in this family have had laid before them and just wasted is a crime to me.  

Sorry for the rant - it just breaks my heart when I see a mind wasting away for lack of interest or  care.

• Love 11

Listening to the younger children in the TH (from 10? years old on down), to me is a bit worrisome. 

It doesn't help that they have a mother that talks to them in that idiot high pitched voice.  Can you imagine Nutchelle teaching the SOTDRT in that voice? How distracting that would be.

• Love 1

J'chelle has mentioned vaguely that some of the younger boys are hyperactive (and from my limited experience, I think that most of the kids have some level of ADHD). They would all really benefit from a real home-schooling experience: the individualized attention, the option of doing projects outdoors, the ability to use their TLC paid trips as learning experiences. 

Of course, none of that happens.The kids don't appear to be doing much actual learning, and one of the few lessons that they seem to take to heart is on using words in odd/inappropriate ways (I will purpose to eat breakfast. This cardboard is precious.).

• Love 5

Listening to the younger children in the TH (from 10? years old on down), to me is a bit worrisome.  Their lack of syntax and vocabulary is to me at odds with their ages.  I teach second/third grade (a combo class) and about a third of students are English Language Learners and their use of English and incorporating new vocabulary seems to outpace this group of monolingual children.  I would like to see them do what the students at my school are currently doing. From kinder up to fifth grade, students are working on science research projects that will be presented to their parents at Open House in two weeks.  How cool would it be to see the\ Dugger children really interested in the life cycle of the butterfly? Watching the caterpillar eat and make its pupa? (That's what the first graders are doing their "research" on) Or to be interested in animals, their habitats, life cycles (second grade)?  My second graders are using words like habitat, carnivore, predator in context with their projects, and actively finding out information to add to their reports. Because the Dugger children are "homeschooled" they have so many avenues open to them that could be so enriching!!  I wish I could have the time that they have to really delve into subjects of interest for my students!  The various opportunities that the children in this family have had laid before them and just wasted is a crime to me.  

Sorry for the rant - it just breaks my heart when I see a mind wasting away for lack of interest or  care.

Pinguina - you sound like a teacher I had back in the day that inspired me and truly helped to shape my life ! I ascribe my intellectual curiosity to her support and encouragement. Oh, if only they could transport TSOTDRT directly to you ! 

The J-Crew's education (and I use that word lightly, if not mockingly) is so lacking in exploration, creativity, and curiosity that it is, as you said, a crime. Where are the experiments, the beakers and bunsen burners, the homemade "volcanos" that we all did with baking soda and vinegar ? And books !!! Cheese on a cracker, where are the books ?!?!

Saying that you're teaching your children (or, rather, that your children are teaching your children) without any books beyond those insipid Gothard workbooks is just INSANE ! Do they know about Albert Einstein, Marie Curie, Neil Armstrong, Amelia Earhart ? Do they know any of the history of the countries they've been so fortunate to visit - England, France, Scotland, China, Japan, etc... ?

They have Bible quotes and smarmy "family" inspirations on their walls to beat the band, and enough pictures of themselves to cover the field of Yankee Stadium, but would any of those children recognize the mysterious, subtle smile on the Mona Lisa ? Would they recognize the heartbreaking picture of little JFK, Jr. saluting his father as his funeral procession went by ? Would they know the triumph of the 1980 Olympic hockey team's "Miracle on Ice " ?

They are being raised as empty vessels. Blank slates. Automatons. They'll never know the beauty of To Kill A Mockingbird or Jane Eyre. They'll never be awestruck as the curtain rises on Carmina Burana's "O, Fortuna". They'll never know the pure, unadulterated joy of just being a kid - no jurisdictions, no bizarre Gothard restrictions and rules, no "keeping sweet", blanket training, or forced labor while Ma and Pa luxuriate in the TTC while their minions do their bidding so they can keep on gettin' busy for the next "blessing" that will never be. 

It's not enough to just HAVE the babies, Michelle - you have to pay-the-hell attention once they're weaned, you goggle-eyed, shrieking Harpy. 

• Love 24

I think this extra-long Talking Head-fest gave us a treasure trove of evidence as to just how immature, delayed, and far behind they are in their developmental markers. The 11-12 year olds behave and talk like first graders; the 5-6 year olds could be mistaken for toddlers. It's just so pathetic that it borders on criminal that these children have been suppressed/oppressed/held back by their Neanderthal parents that I wonder if they'll EVER be able to operate in the real world...

I am absolutely appalled at the Duggars' "education" and lack thereof. However, there could be another factor at work here. One of the speech issues with children in large families is apparently that the older children learn to speak from adults, while the younger children learn to speak from their siblings - they learn how to speak from other children, in other words. So instead of three children getting attention from two adults who are trying to help them grasp vocabulary, grammar, sentence structure, etc., the adults' attention is diluted by time there are more children. And the children spend lots of time with their older siblings, so they pick up the siblings' immature, less sophisticated speech patterns. Who do you want teaching you how to speak, Mommy and Daddy, or Mommy and Daddy and a 7-year-old, a 6-year-old, a 4-year-old, 3-year-old twins, and a 1-year-old? (Not the Duggar configuration, just an example.) 

There will be similar issues in other areas, of course. But this is another reason the Duggars get on my nerves. 

• Love 5
They have Bible quotes and smarmy "family" inspirations on their walls to beat the band, and enough pictures of themselves to cover the field of Yankee Stadium, but would any of those children recognize the mysterious, subtle smile on the Mona Lisa ? Would they recognize the heartbreaking picture of little JFK, Jr. saluting his father as his funeral procession went by ? Would they know the triumph of the 1980 Olympic hockey team's "Miracle on Ice " ?

This bothers me also. I read once that Gothard doesn't allow his followers to hang artwork on their walls -- only family photographs or words, hence those irritating "sayings." 

• Love 4
(edited)

Just recently saw two (separate) news stories that made me think about the Duggars. Both were about ADULT people not having internet access or up-to-date knowledge of the world.

1. Cuba and North Korea have shut most of its people out from the Internet, and they totally control any news on TV (if they even have TVs.)

2. Pamela Smart is in jail for life because she seduced 15-year-old Billy Flynn and threatened to stop having sex with him unless he killed her husband. They interviewed her in jail and she said she has no internet access and has never seen a cellphone in real life. (good!)

In the first case, the populace is being controlled by the heads of a foreign government.

In the second case, she enticed someone to commit a murder.

This started going through my head. Sounds like the Duggars to me. And they live in America, and as far as we know, the grown "kids" have not committed any crime. Just wrong. Really bugs the crap out of me. Just had to vent.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5
(edited)

Interesting about speech patterns of large families. I've seen very large Appalachian and Catholic families where the very youngest was significantly delayed because of extreme babying by family members, but not the other children. But then, these were also children who were sent to school and not predominantly dependent upon their family for social development. So I'm wondering if this is really a Duggar issue more so than even a large family issue?

Edited by GEML
  • Love 5

Interesting about speech patterns of large families. I've seen very large Appalachian and Catholic families where the very youngest was significantly delayed because of extreme babying by family members, but not the other children. But then, these were also children who were sent to school and not predominantly dependent upon their family for social development. So I'm wondering if this is really a Duggar issue more so than even a large family issue?

I would tend to agree - this is a Duggar deal. The little ones in this family were not spoken to - for the most part - by their adult parents during critical phases of language development. What they heard was their sister-moms and other sibs, and probably not a lot of that. Josie's speech is farther along than Jordyn's because Me-chelle did actually yammer at Josie when she was very young, or at least more than she did with her other kids. And hardly any one spoke to Jordyn at all - hence she's very quiet in general.

• Love 6

SomePity1066 - Their lack of books in the house!! You are right!!  Where are the  "easy" literature (Little Princess, The Secret Garden, even books by Beverly Cleary) that do not seem so offensive to their belief system - except maybe the "heroes" in them are too independent?  The lack of interest in real people who contribute to our country, the world. My students get so jazzed when they find a "new" person who did something amazing!!  We read about Sacajawea (even my second graders) and they were so interested in how one lone young adult contributed to the Lewis and Clark expedition. Do these children (their adult ones included) know about her or any other woman, Native American, Hispanic, African-American, Jewish persons who have done so much to change attitudes and laws?  It just burns me up this disinterest in learning! Instead they focus on "keeping sweet", false modesty, and sex! 

Totally agree popping out babies is not enough!! A parent's work is not done with the birth - their work is just beginning. 

• Love 9

One of my favourite things about kids is when they get to that stage where they constantly ask weird and interesting questions and you get to help them find out the answer. It's really is sad the Duggar kids don't get to have that natural curiosity nurtured and encouraged.

• Love 8

Excellent rant, mousegirl. The degree of control JimBoob and J'chelle assert over their adult daughters is especially troubling. College or learning a trade other than a few lessons in becoming a midwife, a profession they will never actually practice, is out. Boob decides who they can court and what the rules of the courtship will be. A chaperone is required to hover around the couple like an annoying mosquito lest they get the urge to touch a forbidden bodypart like a knee. However, once married they are expected to be continually pregnant, popping out offspring like candy pellets out of a Pez dispenser. Those young women are being forced into a life that resembles something out of a creepy Twilight Zone episode with Boob as the evil puppet master. The best thing that could happen to the Duggars is for the cameras and crew to disappear, People magazine to go away, and the kids to realize that they'll have to make it on their own without TLC money. That will probably happen sooner rather than later as they have nothing to offer at this point but more of the same -courtship, wedding, baby. Rinse. Repeat. It's tiring and boring. Time to pull the plug on the "reality" show and let the kids learn to survive in the real world.

• Love 7

Mousegirl, that was SPOT ON. So many people don't get it. When you read online comments about them on other websites, you'll see so many people saying, "Stop all the Duggar hate! They are an awesome family that works together, is not on welfare, they're always happy," blah blah blah. People have no idea about the mental programming and suppression that is the IBLP cult. It is crippling. We may snark about their fashions, odd way of talking, etc., as you said, but none of that is what really matters. It is so sad that the programming turns them into shallow, simple minded robots, incapable of curiosity or caring much about anything besides courtship, babies and Jesus.

And they are INCREDIBLY dishonest to deliberately hide their strong ties to Gothard. The majority of their fans have no idea what's really going on and that bugs me. If they want to be "witnesses," they need to be straightforward with all their beliefs.

• Love 15
(edited)

One of the things that just kills me is how their leg humpers will comment on how well behaved the Duggars children are and that if more parents were like Boob and Michelle there wouldn't be so many brats running around. Sure if every parent brainwashed their kid from birth, never let them express their emotions and isolated them from the outside world there'd be millions of Stepford children out there sleepwalking through life.

The only Duggar kids I've seen truly enjoying life are the ones who are married. The rest of them seem bored and miserable.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 9

I think the only married Duggar offspring who is somewhat happy at this point is Josh because he lucked into the lobbying job in DC and doesn't live under Boob's thumb. When that job ends, it's back to Arkansas and a life of misery with a bunch of kids he won't be able to afford any more. There would be hope for Jill and Derick if they somehow managed to move out of the Boob owned house and established a life for themselves, but I don't see that happening. Derick's TH about possibly sending Iz to college was for the benefit of those of us doubters who know better. Iz may drive past OSU at some point but enrollment is out of the question. It was sad how Jill struggled to say "Bachelor's Degree in Accounting." She has no idea what that means. Jessa and Bin are just delusional. Without TLC and grandma's house they'd be in a world of hurt. How Boob can in good conscience marry off a daughter to an uneducated teenager with no future is beyond me. It's nuts. Bringing a baby into the mix is irresponsible at best. Now it's Josiah's turn. No jeans on Marjorie of late. She's being Duggarized and selling her soul to JimBoob. Just feel awful for the whole bunch. The path the family is on is unsustainable and the whole thing can only end badly.

• Love 11

It doesn't help that they have a mother that talks to them in that idiot high pitched voice. Can you imagine Nutchelle teaching the SOTDRT in that voice? How distracting that would be.

Or that she insists on using phrases like "that white stuff" instead of flour.

Agreed 100%, and I think this extra-long Talking Head-fest gave us a treasure trove of evidence as to just how immature, delayed, and far behind they are in their developmental markers. The 11-12 year olds behave and talk like first graders; the 5-6 year olds could be mistaken for toddlers.

And their 23-year-olds sound like high schoolers.

• Love 8

One of the things that just kills me is how their leg humpers will comment on how well behaved the Duggars children are and that if more parents were like Boob and Michelle there wouldn't be so many brats running around. Sure if every parent brainwashed their kid from birth, never let them express their emotions and isolated them from the outside world there'd be millions of Stepford children out there sleepwalking through life.

The Leg Humpers, possibly even more creepier then the Duggars. Its creepy how they think the Duggars are so perfect and can come up with justifications for everything. How they don't see none of the kids are allowed to do anything, their purposely under educate their kids and brainwash them, or how the girls do all of the work? And not to mention if we had more parents like JimBob and Michelle women wouldn't be allowed to vote, work or do anything but get married and have babies, tv, art, and books would all be banned. Gays forced to live "normal" and "pray" the gay away. Those were such great times in the past. No higher education so no doctors or nurses not even the ones who saved Josie and Israel's lives. 

• Love 8

The Leg Humpers, possibly even more creepier then the Duggars. Its creepy how they think the Duggars are so perfect and can come up with justifications for everything. How they don't see none of the kids are allowed to do anything, their purposely under educate their kids and brainwash them, or how the girls do all of the work?

Exactly! Are they blind? They don't see that none of the kids laugh? Or that Jana's eyes have no life to them? They think it's okay that Jackson is two grade levels behind and James is nearly thirteen but learning third grade math? Never mind Josie's issues or the fact that one of the Lost Girls could walk off the property at any time and no one would notice. It's crazy to me.

• Love 10

The Leg Humpers, possibly even more creepier then the Duggars. Its creepy how they think the Duggars are so perfect and can come up with justifications for everything. How they don't see none of the kids are allowed to do anything, their purposely under educate their kids and brainwash them, or how the girls do all of the work? And not to mention if we had more parents like JimBob and Michelle women wouldn't be allowed to vote, work or do anything but get married and have babies, tv, art, and books would all be banned. Gays forced to live "normal" and "pray" the gay away. Those were such great times in the past. No higher education so no doctors or nurses not even the ones who saved Josie and Israel's lives. 

This used to stump me too - big time. Then it hit me one day. Maybe the Leg Humpers are just not all that bright. Like the Duggars themselves, they don't question much. They look at only the surface, or the end-result - not how it was achieved. They don't see the big picture, and they don't really worry all that much about the future either.

• Love 6

To quote Jill when accepting Derrick's proposal~TOTALLY!

I saw that clip again recently and just cringed when she said that. She wouldn't have said something so goofy if she was just allowed to hug him like a normal person!

• Love 5
(edited)
And they are INCREDIBLY dishonest to deliberately hide their strong ties to Gothard. The majority of their fans have no idea what's really going on and that bugs me. If they want to be "witnesses," they need to be straightforward with all their beliefs.

Precisely why I'm shocked there's been no TV network attention paid to this circus. We're seeing a lot about Scientology lately, and people seem to be recognizing it as the cult that it is; Gothardism is no better, IMO, and it needs to be similarly exposed. Some people really do feel the Duggars are a simple Christian family; as we all know, there's SO much more to this mess than that.

Edited by Literata
  • Love 7

In my opinion, the way you treat and feel about animals says something about you as a person. The Duggar's repeatedly bring pets into their home. Then they treat them with total disregard and callousness. They treat their pets like any other toy in their home. A living thing gets no more importance than a doll or a bike. What kind of people could treat an innocent creature that way?

I've watched multiple scenes where Duggar children are exiting the house, random dogs surround them looking for attention and the kids just ignore them and keep walking. It stands out to me because I'm a huge animal lover and can't resist giving a friendly dog or kitty a pat on the head. The Duggars are missing the empathy gene.

• Love 13
Maybe the Leg Humpers are just not all that bright.

Weefleet - Perfectly said ! And very concise as well ! I, too, think the Leg Humpers are simply not equipped to examine anything beyond the shiny, superficial surface of the Duggar facade. They see a well-scrubbed, presentable family who don't drink or do drugs, go to church, etc, and that's all they want or need to know. So they never look behind the curtain to see the forced labor, the fact that the kids are practically held captive, the pitifully inadequate education, and that they preach modesty and humility while serving up a celebrity-esque lifestyle that simply screams "Look at us !!! Give us love and approbation !!!"

I equate Duggar fans with those who can't name the last five Presidents but can name ALL of the Kardashians. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Something that bugs me...........if their Wimmen Folk are so modest that they can't be anywhere without a chaperone, have to be covered from neck to knee, need their knees blurred, will defraud all the Min Folk, etc., wouldn't it make sense to encourage your girls to become doctors, nurses,ultrasound techs, etc., so they can have female medical personnel and not defraud or be defrauded? Let them go to all women's colleges and then only have female patients?

But alas, no. Education = income, and income = independence, and women must be dependent on their fathers and then husbands, thus saith Gothard, who has neither a wife nor daughters.

Edited by RazzleberryPie
  • Love 8

This thread is about things about the Duggars that gets on your nerves. it is not about judging and calling out Duggars fans. Posters have the right to discuss things they may not like about the Duggars, but their fans have the same right to discuss things they like about the Duggars. Any posts making unkind comments about Duggar fans will be deleted from now on.

Precisely why I'm shocked there's been no TV network attention paid to this circus. We're seeing a lot about Scientology lately, and people seem to be recognizing it as the cult that it is; Gothardism is no better, IMO, and it needs to be similarly exposed. Some people really do feel the Duggars are a simple Christian family; as we all know, there's SO much more to this mess than that.

Something tells me Scientology gets noticed more because all the various celebrities associated, or formerly associated, with it.

• Love 3

Something tells me Scientology gets noticed more because all the various celebrities associated, or formerly associated, with it.

And the money - when you have to dump tons of money in to advance, that adds another wrinkle to the cult.

• Love 2

There is also the fight they went through to get themselves declared  a religion by the IRS for tax reasons.  The celebs have it easy, but can't leave because their "auditing" sessions would out them for all their secret behavior, so they stay.  None are as involved as Cruise.  He is bat shit crazy.

• Love 1

I had this on yesterday, but I was buried under a mountain of homework....so I now can't remember if this really happened or I imagined it.

On the birthing special, did Michelle really go on and on to Josie about what a great helper she would be with the grandbabies... So I guess even the youngest aren't getting out of sister mom duty

Since its Mother's Day, it annoys me how Michelle gets all of the credit for being a good mom when its her daughters who do all the work. It makes me sad how none of her kids know what its like to have good mom. One who loves them and take cares of them. One who went to all of their school plays and cheered them on at their sports games. A mom who sobbed at their high school graduation and proud at graduation. They've never had any of the millions of normal moments that kids have with their mom. Michelle doesn't deserve to be called Mom.

• Love 3

I think she was a mom for the first few. Probably up to the second set of twins. And even in the specials to 14, she was still The Mom in a way she simply isn't now. Not necessarily a great Mom, but you had the impression that she was still in charge in a way you don't now.

I think Michelle was probably a decent mom for Josh thru Jinger, then the baby train got out of control and the buddy system was implemented. The Howlers only got cursory attention and the Lost Girls, forget it. They probably have to wear name tags so she can keep them straight.

• Love 3

Sorry from the Specials. I think going into politics (and potentially losing out on the house they were building because JB put all of his money into the Senate campaign - before they knew TLC was coming) was really shocking for Michelle.

• Love 2

I think she was a mom for the first few. Probably up to the second set of twins. And even in the specials to 14, she was still The Mom in a way she simply isn't now.

In 14 Kids and Counting, I think she did a little more than she does now, but not a lot. She was still "leading" the SOTDRT, which later got passed on to Jessa and Jill I believe. Don't forget that in 14 Kids was her famous speech: "I'm Jim Bob's buddy, and the current baby is MY buddy, until it's weaned and gets paired with another buddy." I'm paraphrasing from memory but the buddy system had been in place for years already by that point.

• Love 6

In 14 Kids and Counting, I think she did a little more than she does now, but not a lot. She was still "leading" the SOTDRT, which later got passed on to Jessa and Jill I believe. Don't forget that in 14 Kids was her famous speech: "I'm Jim Bob's buddy, and the current baby is MY buddy, until it's weaned and gets paired with another buddy." I'm paraphrasing from memory but the buddy system had been in place for years already by that point.

Of course JB is your buddy ass hole. He's your husband. What about your kids

• Love 4

Ok, here I am again. I've been watching a lot of the reruns because I'm not a Duggettes fan. I see so many things about them that irritate me. Mostly Mechelles annoying baby fake voice. But watching these illiterate children is shameful. They let the children speak on camera a lot but most of what they say is just beyond me. It's stupid thing that takes several of them to say what they are trying to say! To me the little boys seem like self centered brats. The girls aren't little girl they are programmed robots. The next to the youngest girl was pushed completely into the care of her buddies when Josie was born. She was just a little baby and was shoved aside by baby voice Mechelle. I seen one episode where she toddled up to Josie in the carriage and tried to touch her and Mechelle went nuts and pushed her away and told her not to touch Josie. She should of picked her up loved on her and let her see and interact with the child that she was pushed aside for. Mechelle was so cold to that baby it broke my heart. Just made me dislike her more. the older girls especially jessa ( I can't stand jessa, ) she's a annoying wanna be and will be Mechelle. She's got to compete with her sister in law and sister now to see who can pop out the most children. I would think they would say hey I'm not my mother! Or are they? They no nothing else except to get married and have children one after another. I hope someone rebels soon and spills the beans on the whole fake bunch of them. Dumb bob is a stupid country bumpkin. That has nothing but sex on his mind. A perverted bad example for a man. But he's so proud of being The Man! Lol too stupid to see the forest for the trees! I hope that the older girls get out of the mess of a family they are in. I like jinger and hope she turns into the beauty that's wanting to burst out. I hope she gets out while she can. And the grandma is as dumb as the rest of them she's on the bandwagon of fame too. If everything's a sin why does she not have any grey in her dyed hair? And Meclelles locks are not grey either? Sounds like they buy more than pregnancy tests! And the straight hair looks much better than the home perms the keep putting in. and I think dumb bob uses the dye himself. Not a sin I guess but seeing knees and boobs are? Just don't get it. They don't go to church? Why? They have their own church at home. Sounds like a cult to me. Period......

• Love 6

My own children find it shocking how young all of the children seem in their talking heads, but less surprising after we heard Michelle talk to Josie as if she was at most two years old.  My 10-year-old daughter said, "She wants her to stay a baby," and my 6-year-old piped up, "That's exactly what I was going to say." 

It is clearly not just Josie.  Every time I remember how old someone like Jackson is after he speaks, I am stunned.  They are just not getting any intellectual stimulation or conversation with adults who treated them like individuals. 

I honestly believe very, very few women could be excellent moms to that many children for that many years with no outside assistance like organized schooling.  I know that ten years of stay-at-home mommying was my limit.   It sounds like that was about when Michelle hit a wall, but instead of sending the kids to school, trying not to have more, and finding something else to occupy her mind, she just shifted the hard parenting duties to other people and focused on the part that makes her feel most virtuous, having more babies.

• Love 8

Ok, here I am again. I've been watching a lot of the reruns because I'm not a Duggettes fan. I see so many things about them that irritate me. Mostly Mechelles annoying baby fake voice. But watching these illiterate children is shameful. They let the children speak on camera a lot but most  They don't go to church? Why? They have their own church at home. Sounds like a cult to me. Perio

I am convinced the church at home business is Boob's attempt to declare the TTH as a tax free structure. I don't think it's working though.

• Love 2