Type keyword(s) to search

Live With Kelly And Mark - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Living in Calgary, I'm really spoiled!!  I've been to Banff & area more than a dozen times & I'm always thrilled to go there.  When my Mom came to visit from Ottawa, my sister & I took her to Banff & stayed at the Banff Springs Hotel which is absolutely luxurious.  We had a fabulous dinner & the brunch buffet was amazing.  I recommend that everyone add Banff to their Bucket List.

• Love 5

Show is DOWN 26% from last May (sweeps month).  This despite the bump for Ryan's debut week.  

I can't believe Harry got renewed.  Man, is TV on a downward spiral - as the overall ratings attached attest.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/104749/syndie-sweep-no-1s-judy-phil-feud-et?utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Syndie+Sweep+No.+1s%3a+‘Judy%2c’+‘Phil%2c’+‘Feud%2c’+‘ET’&utm_campaign=Syndie+May+Sweep+No.+1s%3a+‘Judy%2c’+‘Phil%2c’+‘Feud%2c’+‘ET’

• Love 2

Actually the ratings are where they have been for a while since they had revolving cohosts . In April before Ryan the ratings were where they are now . There was a small bump when Ryan came on the show.

i think it just seems forced and fake  now .

• Love 2
8 hours ago, orangekit said:

forced and fake

Imo, forced and fake began the day Kellmee came on board.  She's not authentic, she never put herself out there like Reege did, everything was a 'character' or 'play-acting' for her. 

• Love 4

Wow.........Kelly just does not look good, not healthy, not happy.  I don't usually watch the show anymore but caught a few minutes this morning and thought it was very boring.  That cooking segment almost put me to sleep.  Looked like Ryan was bored too.  I was never a big fan of the show but used to like it more when Michael was on.  He seemed sincere and pleasant.  Glad he got out when he did.  I will watch something else.

• Love 4

Kelly is so lame that she just copies the mannerisms and words of Ryan, aping him like a twin mirror. 

It's all abt her in the talk. So interesting. Smirk. Even Ryan pays more attention to the guest's talk, ignoring  Kellme's attempts to grab the spotlight or turn the discussion back to her. 

• Love 7

I agree, must be one of the busiest and hardest working people in show business today and he's still going to  add Idol 2.0 on top of his insane schedule.

"I'm not Ryan, I don't have his battery. So when I look at him, I see the future of this show."

So Kelly is aware that Ryan was hired because he can replace her & carry the show.

• Love 1

I would not want to be his girlfriend.

"... the 42-year-old had been talking in recent years about a desire for more balance in his life, settling down at some point and having a family of his own. (He currently shares a townhouse on Manhattan's Upper East Side with his mid-20s girlfriend, Shayna Taylor.)"

Another insightful quote: "he believes his identity is still somewhat wrapped up in the show, and the idea of being replaced would destroy him."

She was her usual over the top, thinks she is so funny, self. She had been talking about going from a bikini to a one piece, then said this was her "favorite" because SHE is actually a "hairy little man."

Hair-de-hair hair.

• Love 2
(edited)

I sensed a wee bit of the original (and good)  Kelly with Larry the Cable Guy.  There was almost no artifice.  She is genuinely taken with him and the Pixar movies.  She let Larry be whomever he wanted to be.  There was a warmth that I recall, but rarely see anymore, emanating from her.  It was nice.

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

She has more moments of real-ness, and I think Ryan brings that out in her. "Even if" she feels threatened by him, career-wise, I do think they have a "friendship" or close enough relationship forged over several years that does make her feel at ease sitting next to him. He is good at being consistently "who he is" - in a sense, he IS his body of work. He is good at maing folks feel at ease.

He has had a few long term relationships, but I can see why he hasn't "settled down" by age 42. For one, I don't think men have to "worry" about age-related baby issues, and while he might desire a family in the abstract, and be more ready for one in the coming years, he certainly is a man who defines himself by his work - as many men and women are - no shade being thrown - I am a firm believer in "doing your thing" and living YOUR life. UNTIL it involves others, like, say, if he HAD had children, and found he didn't have the time to spend with them - and we can get into the whole Quality versus Quantity Time, and how men of the past eras did not always spend much time with their young children. NOT to generalize - my husband said they rarely saw Dad, BUT he still was a major figure, and they DID go to church, have lots of family dinners, etc. Children are adaptable, and there are many ways to make a family "work."

One thing I always "admired" Kelly for was her devotion to her family and children. No, she was not a Regis, going out every night as he did. She sure gets out a lot, even if she doesn't relate her stories well, AND she is a "regular mom" a lot of the time - she clearly was and is very hands on with her kids, and having three is a lot of work, even if she had help. I am envious of her high level of energy - she fits a lot into her life, and has made the most of her "talent."

I can "hate on her" and I have dumped on her majorly over the years, and still find her a gold mine of snark and weird psychological issues, which is why I sometimes STILL watch this show, even though I "quit it" years ago. I have to give her props for somehow staying in that co-host chair as long as she has, and for racking up the multi-millions. And beyond the speculation some of us have done, her marriage has not shown a hint of cracking. They APPEAR to be a solid couple with a decent set of kids, given their extreme wealth, and Actor/Actress "lifestyle." No marriage is perfect - sure they have problems, but their seems to be a bedrock foundation to their relationship I find endearing. Even if they are both weird, they both came from "ordinary" beginnings, and while the $$$$ went to their heads at times (I am sure I would change some if I had the Big Bucks) they are both fairly ordinary people. Really - they BOTH make good on the meager acting skills they had/have. They make a good team. Doesn't mean I enjoy listening to them (when Mark co-hosts - he bores me - they both do) except to get the hints of some of the little cracks they do have in their relationship - like I said, no one is perfect.

I will probably tune in a bit more, as I like the relaxed summer vibe, and the Grill Friday stuff (fooooood) and I think the Ryan is the best co-host for her out of the three. The best for HER. And I clearly have my own issues, since I still watch the dreck on tee-vee, including this, The View (another CrapFest I keep wondering how it stays on the air) etc. I rather like The Chew, but then I want to spend the day cooking and eating, plus by then, I am finally getting my rear in gear and "getting a life," lol.

Am I mellowing out in my doddering years? Eh - I'm sure my Bitch Mode will be back - I am clearly procrastinating - thank you Previously!! I sure can't quit YOU!!

• Love 5

Kelly can be obnoxious & filthy rich & needy & filthy rich but she really does seem to be a good mother. She just posted pictures of Lola's 16th Birthday & Joaquin's middle (?) graduation. She also added the line that another graduation fell on her birthday and she was furious. LOL!!! All in all, her & Mark seem to be good parents with nice children. I never know if I'm allowed to post other people twitter/instagram pictures or not. 

• Love 4

Jeanius that was quite an "analysis" of a show that you want "to quit". Especially when you went off on a Random Tangent about Ryan's choice to not SETTLE DOWN and how much time men should "spend" with their Children. It was a VERY insightful look at "this Show". I agree that Kelly and Mark have a Good Marriage and that's she's a "good mother", her children are a Testament to this.

• Love 2

I was thinking that I sure was off on a tangent - you can almost see the gears spinning, or the smoke pouring outta my ears. Yes, I was stumbling around the issue of "men" - fathers - and their children. Happy Father's Day, you guys!! My own bias would be for a father to be involved in his children's daily lives, as well as for the mother - or both parents - all parents?? Lol, too easy to step on land mines. My father was around every day, but distant emotionally. Other dads may not be around so much, but still manage to be a "good dad." Who is to judge? As a mother of grown kids, I know I have made plenty of mistakes, and I still haven't figured it all out. When you think you have, you often get a curve ball thrown your way.

Back to the show!! I did watch some of host chat on Friday - I noticed a bit of editing choppiness. I recall thinking that they got into a discussion of Kelly in her role as a parent, and it seemed Ryan complimented her on her and Marc's success as parents. Kelly stated how proud she was of her kids, maybe? I remember thinking it was eerily like what I had been blathering about .....

I was musing about what seems to be a contradiction in what Ryan says he wants - to have more time to balance having a family - versus taking on American Idol in addition to Live!, his radio show, his other endorsements - and he has a girlfriend - and at age 42, maybe he would not want to be too much older than his children.  I'm sure he is a big boy and can figure it out. Seemed to be some pressure from Kelly for Ryan to settle down with Shayna? I sensed Ryan didn't like when Kelly was pushing that topic. He doesn't mention her much, does he? I noticed they cut that part short and jumped to a different topic.

I didn't like when Kelly seemed to be prying into Michael's personal life either. On the other hand, it is the nature of a daily talk show that they get into their lives outside of the show.

• Love 2

Yesterday. ..Monday's show was so boring, and the audience was super quiet, I don't even remember what they talked about.  

Today want much better.  Kelly is trying really, REALLY hard to be chummie with Ryan. I like how he is more interested in the guests. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Tosia said:

Yesterday. ..Monday's show was so boring, and the audience was super quiet, I don't even remember what they talked about.  

Today want much better.  Kelly is trying really, REALLY hard to be chummie with Ryan. I like how he is more interested in the guests. 

But aren't they doing repeat shows this week?  I tuned in, and the opening was edited, and the interviews were old ones.  Seems strange, as they just launched the new amazing duo, to go on hiatus.

One thing I noticed is that someone must be telling Kelly to not be so weirdly sideways in her chair, as she was the first few weeks with Ryan.  In newer episodes she seems more sitting forward.  For talented high paid hosts, they are super awkward.

On 6/21/2017 at 7:47 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Just a helpful hint:  When host chat is only 10 minutes, it's not a live show, host chat usually lasts about 20 minutes.

I think they're the only talk show to re-run the guests & call the show "NEW".  I was paying attention this morning & Kelly was wearing a black top for the host chat & a dress for the interview with Kurt Russell, which I've seen before.  (It takes me a while to catch on ... LOL.)

• Love 3

I think it's an end-of-school vacation for Kelly and it's simply too soon for Ryan to be basically leading the show with rotating co-hosts.  I know he's an incredible pro and would have Gelman's support (unless the Gelmans are vacationing with Kelly and Mark) but still, it would be just a little soon IMO for Ryan to be Kelly-less.

• Love 1

The editing on these taped shows is an abomination!  Can't imagine who they have editing, an apprentice? 

Today's convo right out of the gate, yikes!  Ryan, were you talking about a #1 or a #2??   Hmmmm......such riveting chat.

If Reege were dead (bite my tongue!!!) he'd be rolling in his grave ;)

• Love 3
(edited)

Why do they get their thrills from going so often to bodily functions in host chat and interviews?  What is so amusing about that?  Makes me think of the shows and movies that fill their script with lame humor aimed at 5th grade boys who'll laugh at every fart and poop joke.  It's lazy humor IMO.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Love 6
On 6/22/2017 at 3:35 PM, MerBearHou said:

I think it's an end-of-school vacation for Kelly and it's simply too soon for Ryan to be basically leading the show with rotating co-hosts.  I know he's an incredible pro and would have Gelman's support (unless the Gelmans are vacationing with Kelly and Mark) but still, it would be just a little soon IMO for Ryan to be Kelly-less.

Next week has a week of female guest co-hosts, so I suspect Ryan is on his own while Kelly enjoys two weeks with the family.   I think in past years, Kelly has hosted actual live shows during July 4 week, though July 3 looks like a pre-tape.

Mo 6/26: Marisa Tomei, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, guest co-host Cat Deeley
Tu 6/27: Justin Hartley, Peter Gros, James Blunt, guest co-host Busy Philipps
We 6/28: Ansel Elgort, Dua Lipa, guest co-host Busy Philipps
Th 6/29: Hilary Duff, Scott Wolf, guest co-host Carrie Ann Inaba
Fr 6/30: Josh Duhamel, Tom Holland, Josh Elkin, guest co-host Carrie Ann Inaba

Mo 7/3: Vanessa Hudgens, Nick Carter, guest co-host Cat Deeley
Tu 7/4: Andy Cohen
We 7/5: Omari Hardwick, guest co-host Jerry O'Connell
Th 7/6: Jane Lynch
Fr 7/7: Olivia Wilde, Bernadette Peters, iJustine

http://interbridge.com/lineups.html#RK

On 6/22/2017 at 3:35 PM, MerBearHou said:

Next week has a week of female guest co-hosts, so I suspect Ryan is on his own while Kelly enjoys two weeks with the family.   I think in past years, Kelly has hosted actual live shows during July 4 week, though July 3 looks like a pre-tape.

Mo 6/26: Marisa Tomei, Curtis "50 Cent" Jackson, guest co-host Cat Deeley
Tu 6/27: Justin Hartley, Peter Gros, James Blunt, guest co-host Busy Philipps
We 6/28: Ansel Elgort, Dua Lipa, guest co-host Busy Philipps
Th 6/29: Hilary Duff, Scott Wolf, guest co-host Carrie Ann Inaba
Fr 6/30: Josh Duhamel, Tom Holland, Josh Elkin, guest co-host Carrie Ann Inaba

Mo 7/3: Vanessa Hudgens, Nick Carter, guest co-host Cat Deeley
Tu 7/4: Andy Cohen
We 7/5: Omari Hardwick, guest co-host Jerry O'Connell
Th 7/6: Jane Lynch
Fr 7/7: Olivia Wilde, Bernadette Peters, iJustine

http://interbridge.com/lineups.html#RK

On 6/21/2017 at 6:45 AM, DuckyinKy said:

Everything is repeat this week. Are they gone for the summer already?

Seems to just be the annual post-school Consuelos Family two-week vacation.  There is typically another 2-3 week vacay for both hosts slated for August.

• Love 1
On 6/22/2017 at 9:23 AM, Medicine Crow said:

I think they're the only talk show to re-run the guests & call the show "NEW".  I was paying attention this morning & Kelly was wearing a black top for the host chat & a dress for the interview with Kurt Russell, which I've seen before.  (It takes me a while to catch on ... LOL.)

Blame it on the wacky Nielsen ratings guide.  By their definition, a show that consists of segments never aired together is considered NEW.  I agree its silly, borderline unethical.  60 Minutes has been doing it for at least two decades and "Live" has consistently done it since the days of Regis and Kathie Lee.  NBC tried it last millennium with the tagline "if you haven't seen it, its New to You".  As for the "repeats", Nielsen allows a production company to label the program as "new" when there is the slightest change.  60 Minutes airs 3 stories a week. All summer long, they jumble their stories and never air the same 3 stories in the same episode again.  Thus, every week is "new". 48Hours and Dateline are the same.  They slap an "updated" last segment on each repeat and get to call it new, even with maybe only 3 minutes of content.  

Now that we have two official co-hosts for "Live", we will hopefully go back to the earlier-era scheduling, when there are legit down weeks only 3-4 times a year.

This week, I noticed that Friday was an actual rerun.  Not sure if that will be a summer plan or just a function of current timing issues.

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎22 at 3:14 PM, ByTor said:

Damn, that spa looks incredible!

It is!

On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎22 at 4:35 PM, MerBearHou said:

I think Ryan can handle it. 

Did they air the same (repeat/compilation) episode twice last week, or just the same host chat segment? On Friday's show, Kelly & Ryan were talking about whether or not their respective dogs followed them into the bathroom or not; I'm positive they talked about the same thing during another host chat segment either earlier last week or during another fairly recent week.

Ratings are back to where they were with revolving co-hosts.   I still believe that  the combination of Kelly's behavior when Michael left, along with the fake "cohost search", complete with Kelly acting like  people actually had a chance to be the permanent co host, was a major turn off to most viewers.  

I don't know if Kelly knew all along that Ryan was the choice, but I have  a feeling if she didn't she would have had a tantrum again.

So, when she would  say things to the guest co-hosts, where she gave the impression they would be doing remotes in the future to Fred Savage, or Jerry O'Connell, it now comes off as  rude to the cohosts and the audience. I think people got invested in thinking their opinions mattered, and suddenly out comes - Ryan?     

It seems to me that they did want someone that would be at least on equal footing as Kelly,  after her past behavior.  But it also seems like they are thinking more of the network's future, than Live.   It could be they are phasing out Live, and they wanted to make sure they snagged  Ryan for other shows.   

When I see GMA, it looks crowded with the four co-hosts. It's actually annoying. I still wonder if they will expand that to another hour, and Michael and someone else will be co-hosting.  Ryan will do Idol and other projects, and Kelly will do ???

• Love 6

I am sure Ryan isn't flustered !  I am sure he wants to act like he is, since he knows Kelly has a lot of long time fans.  He has hosted a lot more than this show, and he is quite  comfortable, and even more smooth than Kelly most of the time!

When does Kelly return?   

• Love 3

Right, Ryan, you miss Kelly.  Ha-Ha.  You are just buttering her up for the take down.  Ryan is so way over her level but he knows if he doesn't  stroke her ego she will make it more uncomfortable for the obvious.   I think Kelly knows it too.  She tries so hard to make it look like she just LOVES him, just like she did with Michael and Regis.  Kelly, you really aren't that good of an actress.  

• Love 9

I'm not surprised the ratings are down. I haven't watched at all because a show of Ryan and Kelly is not interesting to me. Ryan is good on his own, but he was bad casting for a show where the other co-host is Ripa. They needed to hire someone likable and down-to-earth to balance out her narcissism the way Strahan did--like Cooper, Groban, McHale, etc. Even Andy Cohen would've made more sense.

That said, I believe the real reason they hired him is that they plan to eventually get rid of Kelly Ripa and wanted someone stable to hold the ship down while they look for a new co-host to go with him. I'm not sure who they'd cast to replace Kelly if that's the case.

• Love 6
(edited)
On 6/26/2017 at 5:48 PM, Showwatcher said:

Right, Ryan, you miss Kelly.  Ha-Ha.  You are just buttering her up for the take down.  Ryan is so way over her level but he knows if he doesn't  stroke her ego she will make it more uncomfortable for the obvious.   I think Kelly knows it too.  

I am a Ryan fan, but his laconic, half-asleep demeanor isn't doing the show any good.  For all his faults, Michael was bubbly (almost too much), hyper, and oozed ego.   Ryan likely has as big an ego, but his style is not flashy or insincere or garish (all of which Strahan mastered).  Ryan probably also has 100 IQ points on Strahan, though the show really doesn't need a professor/expert/lecturer, which is how  Ryan has come across in this first month.  He doesn't seem real excited to be there.  Plus, he needs to work on his storytelling, which is probably going to be hard for him.  His radio show has never really been about *him* and one reason 'Live" works is that the co-hosts bring at least some events from their personal lives to the show.

I do think he will get better, mostly because he will have plenty of feedback given to him over the next few months.

I've said ever since Regis got the boot, that Kelly knows her days are numbered.  Maybe she will stay around and take the huge paycut that Regis was offered.  Most likely, she will walk away a winner, with a couple hundred million in the bank, three kids in college, a working actor-hubby who lives half the year away from her, and a production company that will spew out reality a half-dozen reality shows a year. 

Edited by SanDiegoInExile
  • Love 5
On 6/26/2017 at 8:48 PM, Showwatcher said:

Right, Ryan, you miss Kelly.  Ha-Ha.  You are just buttering her up for the take down.  Ryan is so way over her level but he knows if he doesn't  stroke her ego she will make it more uncomfortable for the obvious.   I think Kelly knows it too.  She tries so hard to make it look like she just LOVES him, just like she did with Michael and Regis.  Kelly, you really aren't that good of an actress.  

I agree ! I think ABC execs and Ryan talk a lot, and I think he was ready for Kelly's insecurities. I think he probably genuinely likes her, but after seeing her not speak to two previous co-hosts, and play victim on camera, he isn't stupid, he will kiss up to her to not get caught in her BS.   

Ryan is actually pretty good with Busy Phillips. I didn't like her with Kelly, but Ryan gives her a lot of the spotlight, he also has a way of making people feel comfortable.   Honestly, she is way more real and natural than Kelly right now, and  host chat is actually more spontaneous!

It is nice not having someone who needs constant compliments, so she puts herself down - like Kelly.    

It is nice to have a woman who is not posing and staring at herself non stop in the camera, and also putting clippings up to her nose so that she can read the boring disjointed articles!    It's sad that Busy is better at being 'real" than the 20 million a year host, with first billing!

• Love 9