Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond 90210: Cast members in the media and other roles

• Start Topic

(edited)

RIP, Luke Perry. The only other role I recall seeing him in other than '90210' was playing the father in the movie based on the "Alice" books (of all things), but "Dylan McKay" was definitely a staple of my youth -- and while I can't say that Dylan was ever my favorite character, he had his moments and I can't imagine anyone else other than Luke Perry in the role.

(Also, with all the stories through the years of the girls being b*tchy to each other or BAG griping about how he has to "swallow his pride" to come to work, I can't remember hearing anything negative about Luke.)

Very unexpected -- not so much after the stroke, but I was still surprised to learn the news. 52 is WAY too young to go. 😞

Edited by kickedinthehead
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Asp Burger said:

But when Arsenio started to tease this male fan (it was a kind of humor that today we would more readily label homophobic), he said, "Leave that guy alone." It's something that always stayed in my mind about him. I think it showed how forward-thinking and essentially sweet he was.  He knew he was a heartthrob for all kinds of people.  

I'm not surprised. Luke was also really great friends with Alexis Arquette. Rosanna tweeted this earlier and it made me cry.

https://twitter.com/RoArquette/status/1102632870189756416?s=20

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Asp Burger said:

For most of Luke's interview, he was maintaining that aloof, too-cool-for-school public persona his fans associated with him in the era, very much like Dylan. But when Arsenio started to tease this male fan (it was a kind of humor that today we would more readily label homophobic), he said, "Leave that guy alone." It's something that always stayed in my mind about him. I think it showed how forward-thinking and essentially sweet he was.  He knew he was a heartthrob for all kinds of people.

This reminded me of something I saw on Instagram today (sorry it embedded so large):

• Love 19
9 hours ago, geauxaway said:

He was my first notable celebrity crush.  I’m so sad.  😢

Mine as well. I was doing some research at work and saw the news and just started with the tears-which kind of surprised me. I think it's doubly sad because he was still fairly young. I feel so badly for his children. It's like a piece of my past died, such sad news.  Prayers  of comfort and peace for his family in the time ahead. It's hard to lose a parent/loved one. And with time it does get easier, but you never stop missing them because you never stop loving them. 

• Love 1

I recently did a rewatch of the TV series Leverage, and Luke was a guest star in one memorable episode. He played a con man pretending to be a psychic who could speak to the dead, and the Leverage team fought to take him down after he took a young pregnant woman's life savings (preying on her emotions, telling her that he could speak to her dead husband). He was particularly loathsome, but he managed to make the role really fascinating to watch. It's definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series.

I remember watching 90210 as a late teen and I'm less than 10 years younger than Luke, so his death feels particularly surreal and too close to home. Definitely gone too soon... 

• Love 6

I'm just devastated about Luke Perry's passing! Beverly Hills 90210 was the first show I started watching after emigrating from the former Soviet Union in the early 90s. I can't even put into words what that show meant to me at the time - beauty, aspiration, freedom, so many things. I felt like an outcast at my new school, but once kids found out I watched 90210, we had something in common. I idolized Luke and the other actors. Now I feel like a piece of my childhood died.

• Love 11
15 hours ago, desertflower said:

I think this is hitting people of a certain age (like me) pretty hard and more than expected.

I think it really is. This was our 'coming of age' series. I was 12 when it started and I remember being sort of half dismissive/half intrigued as when it started. I was a comic-book reading, Star Trek fan and I wasn't going to be drawn into a teen soap, but I was. It played a part in drawing me into the teen girl culture of the 90s. I also remember going back and watching from the start when it was re-run a few years later and at that point my life and Brenda's were weirdly aligned and as a result I've always been Team Brenda and more Branda/Dylan fan-girly than I care to admit.

I heard the news on the school run this morning and it definitely was a bit of a gut-punch. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I had a pervasive, lingering sadness all day yesterday. I could do whatever I needed to do but in between making dinner, picking kids up, and all the other daily stuff, I kept coming back to Luke, and Dylan, and this stupid show that we somehow love and love to hate all at the same time. I kept checking to see what other celebrities were saying on social media, and I was struck by how far reaching and varied the people were. LP wasn’t even my favorite actor, but to those of us who were teens/young adults at the time, this show and his character made an indelible impact. That, coupled with the fact that he seemed like a genuinely nice guy who somehow navigated an insane level of fame at a young age and yet remained humble and kind, makes it all the more sad. 

Edited by desertflower
  • Love 20
(edited)
1 hour ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

https://people.com/tv/shannen-doherty-luke-perry-tribute-biggest-accomplishment-children/

Shannen's statement.  I love that they just saw each other a few weeks before he died.  

Shannen always seemed the closest with him.  I think one thing that's been very noticeable is everyone has talked about how Luke nice of a person he was and he never had the off-screen problems a lot of people in his position had.

Some more tributes, including Rebecca Gayheart and Randy Spelling.  I remember in the 90s after leaving 90210, him and Gayheart reunited to do a two-part miniseries on NBC called Invasion.  Anyone else remember that?

https://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-news/pictures/luke-perry-dead-beverly-hills-90210-stars-react/

Edited by benteen
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, desertflower said:

I had a pervasive, lingering sadness all day yesterday. I could do whatever I needed to do but in between making dinner, picking kids up, and all the other daily stuff, I kept coming back to Luke, and Dylan, and this stupid show that we somehow love and love to hate all at the same time. I kept checking to see what other celebrities were saying on social media, and I was struck by how far reaching and varied the people were. LP wasn’t even my favorite actor, but to those of us who were teens/young adults at the time, this show and his character made an indelible impact. That, coupled with the fact that he seemed like a genuinely nice guy who somehow navigated an insane level of fame at a young age and yet remained humble and kind, makes it all the more sad. 

This is it in a nutshell. It's not even like I was a Dylan fan, but Luke always struck me as a genuinely kind and humble person. 

I was crying hard last night too. I went through so many tissues. I feel awful for his kids, fiancée, family, and friends. 

• Love 5

I'm still feeling an ache in my heart today. What I've been struck by is all of the stories showing what a genuinely nice guy he was. It just goes to show that what ultimately matters is what kind of person you are and Luke Perry had a good heart. 

• Love 10

Dean Cain guest hosted with Kathie Lee and Hoda this morning and talked a bit about Luke. He said when he first came on set Luke came right over and welcomed him and said he was doing a great job on the show. Dean said he always remembered that and when he got his own show he made a point to always welcome the guest stars. 

• Love 10
5 hours ago, fireice13 said:

I'm still feeling an ache in my heart today. What I've been struck by is all of the stories showing what a genuinely nice guy he was. It just goes to show that what ultimately matters is what kind of person you are and Luke Perry had a good heart. 

I'm right there with you.

• Love 2
(edited)

Shannen's tribute:

I really do wonder how the hybrid reality/drama is going to handle all this. I was hoping for some offhand comment that Brenda and Dylan were in London with her adopted daughter and his son with Kelly is spending a summer there, but that feels like it would be wrong. I dunno.

Would this reality hybrid even have the rights to any of the stuff that happened to the characters on the revival? I would be totally down for Jackie being brought back to life as her sober self, and Erin Silver not being a crazy bitch, and Kelly not having Dylan's son.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, AttackTurtle said:

I always thought of Luke Perry and Jason Priestly as particularly tight. They seemed to get along quite well.   I’m a little surprised that I haven’t seen a statement from him.  

Some people open up online really easily, and others seem like it’s hard for them. Ian Z immediately posted something heartfelt and it seemed genuine. Shannen took a little longer but when she did it was really sweet. Jennie’s comment seemed a little “constructed”, like she put something out because she was expected to. But I’m sure her true grief is much deeper and harder to put into words. I imagine Jason doesn’t want to just put something out out of obligation. But what do I know; I don’t know these people, even though we all feel like we do!

The Today show did a nice piece this morning about all the stories that have surfaced on social media about Luke’s kindness. It really is nice to not see a single negative thing. Even little things, like someone who used to work at his neighborhood video store said he was always the nicest customer, and a bartender at a restaurant he frequented said he always treated the staff really well. 

• Love 9

Luke's is the first celebrity death that I still feel extremely sad and upset about, so much that I'm thinking about it everyday.  90210 was such an important part of my life for so long, I guess I just expected the cast to live forever, especially since we're the same age.  No one wants to be faced with their mortality.  It's like a bad dream.  Will make watching the reruns so bittersweet.

Oh and Jason posted this for those who were wondering:

• Love 17
3 hours ago, AllyB said:

I have a slight issue with this. In what world is Shannen Doherty/Brenda Walsh average looking? I think she's very pretty most of the time but when she gives a big smile she's utterly beguiling. 

I find her to have been average looking too. It's subjective. But i'll always be a Brenda and Dylan fan. They had great chemistry and balanced each other out. Kelly and Dylan were pretty terrible together throughout every scene they shared together.

• Love 1
On 3/6/2019 at 2:22 AM, methodwriter85 said:

Would this reality hybrid even have the rights to any of the stuff that happened to the characters on the revival? I would be totally down for Jackie being brought back to life as her sober self, and Erin Silver not being a crazy bitch, and Kelly not having Dylan's son.

I would like to forget everything the revival did to the original characters. None of it made sense. 

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I would like to forget everything the revival did to the original characters. None of it made sense. 

That's why I dislike Revivals. Most of them ruin the things we liked most about the original and they screw with the happy ending we got.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Jaclyn88 said:

That's why I dislike Revivals. Most of them ruin the things we liked most about the original and they screw with the happy ending we got.

I'm just glad they didn't touch Steve and Janet. I really liked them. Probably my personal bright spot for end stage 90210. Just realized their daughter would be in college by now. Wow.

I wonder if they'll incorporate the latter 90210 characters that had staying power, like Val/Tiffani Thiessen and Claire/Kathleen Robertson.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 minutes ago, methodwriter85 said:

I'm just glad they didn't touch Steve and Janet. I really liked them. Probably my personal bright spot for end stage 90210. Just realized their daughter would be in college by now. Wow.

I wonder if they'll incorporate the latter 90210 characters that had staying power, like Val/Tiffani Thiessen and Claire/Kathleen Robertson.

Speaking of Val/Tiffani:

I knew Tiffani as Kelly from Saved By the Bell so her being on the show was weird, like "worlds colliding"! I also laugh at how at the end of her first episode they show Val on the Walshs' phone at night and she rolls a joint to let the audience know she's BAD. LOL!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 12

Such beautiful statements from Jason and Tiffani. And there is that recurring theme of him being welcoming to newcomers. 

Ian has been sharing some great pictures on Instagram, check them out if you haven’t seen them. 

Pop channel is doing a Dylan McKay marathon tomorrow (Friday). Not sure if I have the heart to watch just yet. 😞

• Love 7

Jason, Ian, and Tiffani's tributes are hitting me hard. I've been mourning basically all week.

Jennie hasn't commented yet - part of me wonders if she was at the hospital. They were always and have remained incredibly close. I hope she is holding up ok. My heart goes out to the rest of the cast.

I'm a bit aghast that people are going after his old co-stars for not commenting soon enough or whatever. We knew a character - they knew the person. They are dealing with real, immediate grief. Fans should be giving them space to process and deal.

For those worried about the reboot, it was not about the characters. This was going to be a parody about their real-life personas. I do suspect there will be a massive tribute to Luke, even if it deviates from the frothy, lighthearted tone they're promising. They all loved Luke too much not to give him something like that. 

And I think we're all going to have to put aside our desire to definitively answer the triangle now. Luke was never going to do that - he had too much respect for Jennie and Shannon. For me, the show ended in May of 2000, and the last image I have of Dylan is kissing his beloved Kelly.

These reboots mean little to me. It's just fun to see the cast together - and at this point I think seeing the rest of them together would be comforting. All I ever wanted was a large panel of all of cast from the whole 10 years, with producers and directors, talking about the show. I hope they'll come together for that and share their memories of Luke.

I have loved Dylan McKay since I was 4 years old. I'm a bit young to love 90210 the ferocious way I do. When kids my age watched Sesame Street, I was invested in season 3 and the Summer of Deception. 90210 was my whole childhood, and Luke Perry was my first celebrity crush. No one has ever replaced Dylan in my heart. I have run after bad boys with sensitive souls on motorcycles my whole life. My type is the tall, skinny dude with dark hair and smoldering eyes. This is not a coincidence - this was Luke Perry.

Whatever semblance remained of my childhood went with him. I watch the reruns on my DVR each night. I'm so sad we lost Luke but I'm strangely grateful that we'll always have access to Dylan. 

• Love 8
42 minutes ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Jason, Ian, and Tiffani's tributes are hitting me hard. I've been mourning basically all week.

Jennie hasn't commented yet - part of me wonders if she was at the hospital. They were always and have remained incredibly close. I hope she is holding up ok. My heart goes out to the rest of the cast.

I'm a bit aghast that people are going after his old co-stars for not commenting soon enough or whatever. We knew a character - they knew the person. They are dealing with real, immediate grief. Fans should be giving them space to process and deal.

For those worried about the reboot, it was not about the characters. This was going to be a parody about their real-life personas. I do suspect there will be a massive tribute to Luke, even if it deviates from the frothy, lighthearted tone they're promising. They all loved Luke too much not to give him something like that. 

And I think we're all going to have to put aside our desire to definitively answer the triangle now. Luke was never going to do that - he had too much respect for Jennie and Shannon. For me, the show ended in May of 2000, and the last image I have of Dylan is kissing his beloved Kelly.

These reboots mean little to me. It's just fun to see the cast together - and at this point I think seeing the rest of them together would be comforting. All I ever wanted was a large panel of all of cast from the whole 10 years, with producers and directors, talking about the show. I hope they'll come together for that and share their memories of Luke.

I have loved Dylan McKay since I was 4 years old. I'm a bit young to love 90210 the ferocious way I do. When kids my age watched Sesame Street, I was invested in season 3 and the Summer of Deception. 90210 was my whole childhood, and Luke Perry was my first celebrity crush. No one has ever replaced Dylan in my heart. I have run after bad boys with sensitive souls on motorcycles my whole life. My type is the tall, skinny dude with dark hair and smoldering eyes. This is not a coincidence - this was Luke Perry.

Whatever semblance remained of my childhood went with him. I watch the reruns on my DVR each night. I'm so sad we lost Luke but I'm strangely grateful that we'll always have access to Dylan. 

I feel like it's weird to think of this, but I think of all the times Dylan beat death on the show.. so you almost expect him to beat it in real life too. Almost like it's another situation he got into that he'll get out of. 

I don't take reboots seriously either. It's usually just a way for one hit wonders to generate money again. In my opinion, reboots can never duplicate the amazingness that was the original. It's usually just a much cheesier, more modern version.

It's funny that you say that kids your age would watch sesame street while you watched 90210. I was the same way. I was 5 and 6 years old captured by the summer of deception and couldn't figure out why I wasn't watching cartoons lol.

• Love 6
(edited)
22 hours ago, desertflower said:

Pop channel is doing a Dylan McKay marathon tomorrow (Friday). Not sure if I have the heart to watch just yet. 😞

I'm working from home today and it's on in the background. Episodes airing are:

Green Room

Isn't It Romantic

Spring Dance

Back in the High Life Again

Ode to Joy (the finale)

Frankly, I'm not into this selection. Green Room and Back in the High Life again are the only selections that feel like Dylan-centric episodes. The rest are ensemble eps and Ode to Joy is all about Donna and David's wedding. For what it's worth, I'd have chosen:

- Green Room (first appearance)

- Back in the High Life Again (THE POOL SCENE and lots of Jack/Dylan love)

- The Child Is the Father to the Man (Who doesn't cry at Jack's funeral and when Dylan comforts his inner child?)

- One Wedding and a Funeral (his final ep in season 6)

- I'm Back Because (the second ep of his return in season 9 - I'd pick his Thanksgiving entrance but it happens in the last two seconds of the episode)

THESE are the best of D-McKay, IMO. 

Also, for the record, the shameless Dylan and Kelly shipper in me wants to put Senior Poll in there. My favorite scene of the series is on that playground when Dylan finds Kelly on the swing in her black evening gown. She tells him to go back to Brenda; he tells her they're soul mates. For everything the writers dropped/missed/screwed up over the next seven years, they always got the soul mate angle right. That thread was never dropped. It remains for me the most important piece of canon in the show and the most real, raw acting I ever saw out of Luke and Jennie. I am so sad we will never see them on screen together again in any capacity. Sigh.

Edited by thesupremediva1
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, thesupremediva1 said:

She hasn’t commented on social media but she did give a statement to People: 

“My heart is broken. He meant so much to so many. Such a very special person. I share my deep sadness with his family and all who loved him. Such a terrible loss.”

I’m sure that doesn’t reflect her full grief. They did seem really close. 

I’m watching some of the marathon. In between episodes they are showing other memorable scenes of his. They just showed Dylan and Brenda as Bonnie and Clyde. They looked so great. 

Edited by desertflower
  • Love 5

My favorite 2 Dylan story lines throughout the show were when Val and Dylan went to Mexico and the whole story with Dylan and Antonia. Even though the triangle was with Brenda and Kelly, I always felt like once he met Antonia, he looked the happiest he's ever been throughout the series. I think Brenda was too dramatic for him and Kelly was too whiny and always looking for a fight. Antonia was just sweet and brought out the best in him( minus her lunatic dad who brought out bad Dylan.) Then again, she only lasted a few episodes so who knows what would have happened with them.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

My favorite 2 Dylan story lines throughout the show were when Val and Dylan went to Mexico and the whole story with Dylan and Antonia. Even though the triangle was with Brenda and Kelly, I always felt like once he met Antonia, he looked the happiest he's ever been throughout the series. I think Brenda was too dramatic for him and Kelly was too whiny and always looking for a fight. Antonia was just sweet and brought out the best in him( minus her lunatic dad who brought out bad Dylan.) Then again, she only lasted a few episodes so who knows what would have happened with them.

Oh, I always forget about season 5 because I hated watching him in his drug addiction (both times!). But yeah, that caper episode in Mexico should have been included. I loved him with Val, and watching Big Bro Dylan rescue his little sister Erica is super swoon-worthy. 

I never took Antonia that seriously. She just always felt like a plot device. Loved Rebecca Gayheart, but the core of that relationship was their dads. I think they could have made it if they'd moved out of Beverly Hills completely, but who had time to buy them as a couple? He was spying on her and then he was using her and then they were in love and married and she was dead - all in several weeks!

I wanted Dylan to be happy after he'd spent a year mooning over Kelly, and I honestly thought he was going to ride off into the sunset with Toni. I was shocked when she died and that's how he left town. After that ep, I turned to my friend and said, "I hope some day he comes back for Kelly." The end of the series brought me so much peace. 

There's also that scene outside the Peach Pit where he tells Kelly, "I asked you first." Damn, that destroyed me. She chose Cokehead Colin so he tried to move on. I was gutted when Toni died, even if I had no feelings toward her as a character.

• Love 1

I didn't agree with the list from Pop either.  Here's my list of episodes that I think really define who Dylan was and as an unapologetic Brenda/Dylan shipper:

The Green Room 

Isn't it Romantic 

Spring Dance

The Child is the Father to the Man

The Dreams of Dylan McKay

One Wedding and a Funeral

I'm Back Because

Eddie Waitkus

The Penultimate/Ode to Joy (first episode)

On a different note, I think this article really sums up why Luke's death is hitting those of us from Gen X so hard:  

https://www.today.com/health/luke-perry-s-death-generation-x-s-wake-call-t149917

• Love 5
(edited)
10 minutes ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

I didn't agree with the list from Pop either.  Here's my list of episodes that I think really define who Dylan was and as an unapologetic Brenda/Dylan shipper:

The Green Room 

Isn't it Romantic 

Spring Dance

The Child is the Father to the Man

The Dreams of Dylan McKay

One Wedding and a Funeral

I'm Back Because

Eddie Waitkus

The Penultimate/Ode to Joy (first episode)

On a different note, I think this article really sums up why Luke's death is hitting those of us from Gen X so hard:  

https://www.today.com/health/luke-perry-s-death-generation-x-s-wake-call-t149917

I love your list! Dreams of Dylan McKay is another personal favorite of mine, as is Eddie Waitkus. It did my heart good to see Dylan get some closure with his dad. I think we can all agree that you can't sum up Dylan in 5 eps - you need more to flesh out 10 years of story lines. 

And I gotta say, I was wrong about Ode to Joy. It's a beautiful ep and I could weep softly through the whole thing. They gave everyone a lovely ending. The characters seemed at peace - as much as we could ask after 10 whole years. Luke gives a huge smile in the slow musical part at the end as they fade into a piano version of the theme song - wow, that is always going to reduce me to tears. 

• Love 5

They gave everyone a lovely ending. The characters seemed at peace - as much as we could ask after 10 whole years. Luke gives a huge smile in the slow musical part at the end as they fade into a piano version of the theme song - wow, that is always going to reduce me to tears. 

Yes, yes, yes. I recorded the finale so I can watch it later but I remember every other time I’ve seen it I am reduced to a big puddle at the sight of the gang hugging while the music transitions into the theme song. Despite how bad some of the plot lines were in the later seasons I think they pulled it together nicely at the end. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

I'm working from home today and it's on in the background. Episodes airing are:

Green Room

Isn't It Romantic

Spring Dance

Back in the High Life Again

Ode to Joy (the finale)

Frankly, I'm not into this selection. Green Room and Back in the High Life again are the only selections that feel like Dylan-centric episodes. The rest are ensemble eps and Ode to Joy is all about Donna and David's wedding. For what it's worth, I'd have chosen:

- Green Room (first appearance)

- Back in the High Life Again (THE POOL SCENE and lots of Jack/Dylan love)

- The Child Is the Father to the Man (Who doesn't cry at Jack's funeral and when Dylan comforts his inner child?)

- One Wedding and a Funeral (his final ep in season 6)

- I'm Back Because (the second ep of his return in season 9 - I'd pick his Thanksgiving entrance but it happens in the last two seconds of the episode)

THESE are the best of D-McKay, IMO. 

Also, for the record, the shameless Dylan and Kelly shipper in me wants to put Senior Poll in there. My favorite scene of the series is on that playground when Dylan finds Kelly on the swing in her black evening gown. She tells him to go back to Brenda; he tells her they're soul mates. For everything the writers dropped/missed/screwed up over the next seven years, they always got the soul mate angle right. That thread was never dropped. It remains for me the most important piece of canon in the show and the most real, raw acting I ever saw out of Luke and Jennie. I am so sad we will never see them on screen together again in any capacity. Sigh.

I'd also add Necessity is a Mother and The Dreams of Dylan McKay to your list.

Otherwise, we're in agreement. 😀

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, desertflower said:

Yes, yes, yes. I recorded the finale so I can watch it later but I remember every other time I’ve seen it I am reduced to a big puddle at the sight of the gang hugging while the music transitions into the theme song. Despite how bad some of the plot lines were in the later seasons I think they pulled it together nicely at the end. 

I liked the finale a lot mostly because I was a Donna / David fan and I was happy they ended up finally getting married . I thought the coming together of Dylan and kelly could have been better . I felt like they were just thrown together last minute . 

It was a nice ending though and I thought they did a pretty good job of wrapping it up unlike a lot of other shows where the ending was so disappointing . 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, KLJ said:

Didn't the producers originally want to have a double wedding with David/Donna and Dylan/Kelly and Tori refused?  

Yes. I cannot remember where I read that, but whoever gave up that piece of information also talked about how Tori wore terrible brown leggings in between finale scenes. No idea why I specifically remember that part 🙂 Maybe it was on TWOP?

• Love 2
10 hours ago, thesupremediva1 said:

Wow.  We aren't owed a tribute on social media from any of his co-stars.  That's really shitty that people are complaining that someone hasn't posted anything or made a statement.

• Love 3

I haven’t seen anyone on here seriously criticizing his costars for not responding, it’s been more of an observation that some costars have been quicker to respond than others. And that just means some of them have had a hard time coming up with the words, no judgement at all. (Of course there may be other places where people are complaining but I think everyone on here has been respectful.) They certainly don’t owe the fans anything. But when they do decide to share their thoughts I think it does help fans grieve. Jason posted one thing and then followed up with another one thanking everyone for their outpouring of support. Maybe it helps them as well to share the grief with fans. 

Ian Ziering has been sharing a picture everyday and I’ve loved seeing them. 

• Love 2
20 hours ago, KLJ said:

Didn't the producers originally want to have a double wedding with David/Donna and Dylan/Kelly and Tori refused?  

Really? I wouldn't have minded that. It took them SO long (way too long) to get Dylan and Kelly back together that last season. I mean, it was inevitable and it was obviously coming the whole year, but they just kept dragging it out. Like she's really gonna end up with Matt. Come on.

I think it should have happened a bit earlier, it didn't have to be a final kiss at the last second. Especially because they basically agreed to get back together two whole episodes before the finale, and it was STILL moving at a snail's pace for whatever reason. I remember thinking, why haven't they kissed already? That just seemed unnecessary. 

A double wedding would have been cute. Especially because throughout the course of the show David and Donna might be the longest lasting on/off couple, but I still considered them a supporting couple, if that makes sense. I would consider the major couples of the show's history to be Dylan and Brenda, Dylan and Kelly, and Brandon and Kelly. It would have been nice to have a more permanent resolution to one of the majors in the series finale, imo.

• Love 3
(edited)
33 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

Really? I wouldn't have minded that. It took them SO long (way too long) to get Dylan and Kelly back together that last season. I mean, it was inevitable and it was obviously coming the whole year, but they just kept dragging it out. Like she's really gonna end up with Matt. Come on.

I think it should have happened a bit earlier, it didn't have to be a final kiss at the last second. Especially because they basically agreed to get back together two whole episodes before the finale, and it was STILL moving at a snail's pace for whatever reason. I remember thinking, why haven't they kissed already? That just seemed unnecessary. 

A double wedding would have been cute. Especially because throughout the course of the show David and Donna might be the longest lasting on/off couple, but I still considered them a supporting couple, if that makes sense. I would consider the major couples of the show's history to be Dylan and Brenda, Dylan and Kelly, and Brandon and Kelly. It would have been nice to have a more permanent resolution to one of the majors in the series finale, imo.

I'm compelled to cosign your entire post. The second Dylan returns in season 9, you know Kelly and Dylan are end-game. Matt should have been off the show by season 10, leaving time for Kelly and Dylan to work out their issues and paving the way for a beautiful double wedding.

I'm a big Donna and David fan and I easily bought them doing a whirlwind wedding. It was satisfying, but not completely....

...because the two major love triangles upon which they'd built the series for a decade were Brenda/Dylan/Kelly and Kelly/Dylan/Brandon. The major components of those two triangles were Kelly and Dylan - they needed and DESERVED a big, happy resolution!

90210 ended before reboots were a real thing. We shouldn't need to bemoan the nu90210's stupidity or mourn Luke's untimely death to realize the characters deserved a solid ending. Get it right in the original run, people! Stop hedging your bets on future projects. 🤦🏻‍♀️

(edited)

90210 ended before reboots were a real thing. We shouldn't need to bemoan the nu90210's stupidity or mourn Luke's untimely death to realize the characters deserved a solid ending. Get it right in the original run, people! Stop hedging your bets on future projects. 🤦🏻‍♀️

For me, 90210 ended when Brandon and then Valerie left.

I couldn't have cared less about the new regulars. I didn't watch the rest of the ninth and tenth seasons.

The writers turning Mel back into a sleaze, and then Dr. Martin being the father of both Donna and Gina? No, thanks. 

Unpopular opinion (I know there's a thread, but we're talking about pairs here too): Out of all Dylan's significant others, I thought he was at his best with Toni. They meshed perfectly. I think it's terrible that the writers wrote them off the show the way they did: having Toni's father being inadvertently responsible for her death in that horrific manner. The writers should have sent Dylan and Toni off to live their days in Hawaii, or wherever. Maybe near Iris and her treehouse.

I thought David and Valerie were well matched. And really, Brandon, Kelly, and their mutual smugness belonged together. 

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 3