Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond 90210: Cast members in the media and other roles

• Start Topic

"Steve" looks the best! Do not take your eyes off!
But I didn’t recognize "Kelly" at all. Even on the full screen, I stretched a stopped frame with her and could not identify Jenny.👀
But still really looking forward to restarting the show. Hopefully a good script is invented here ...
And it would be good if sometimes we were shown shots of the first seasons of BH ...

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Variety is implying that "quotes one insider as alleging that the backstage drama stems from two lead actresses “running the show.”"

30 years ago, everyone would be blaming Shannen.  But this time IF this part is true, this is clearly Jennie and Tori's work.

It's a well known fact that I love Shannen. I've never liked Jennie. I remember back right after Shannen was booted left, Jennie said how Shannen always wanted the show to be about her/she didn't believe in "sharing" or being a team player. And what happened once she was gone? The show revolved around Kelly, what with the cult, her self-esteem issues, new modeling gig, the fire, being raped, being shot, a drug addict....with Dylan and Brandon fighting over her like two dogs over a bone that wasn't even juicy.

And with Shannen just finishing chemo after her bout with Breast Cancer, I doubt she has time to "act out" or be a diva, or whatever those that hate her, call her.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

The show revolved around Kelly, what with the cult, her self-esteem issues, new modeling gig, the fire, being raped, being shot, a drug addict....with Dylan and Brandon fighting over her like two dogs over a bone that wasn't even juicy.

Don't forget that she also taught people to stand against homophobia and saved Dylan's sister from prostitution.

I agree its probably Jennie and Tori. It's going to be absolutely nauseating if we're going to see them get portrayed as perfect angels especially given what we know about Tori's life.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Jaclyn88 said:

This is only going to be a 6 episode series right ? It’s a one and done season ? 

I think this is being touted as a summer event series, but the trailer already hit 18 million views.  If the ratings are steady enough, I can certainly see Fox extending it.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2019 at 7:20 AM, mtlchick said:

Variety is implying that "quotes one insider as alleging that the backstage drama stems from two lead actresses “running the show.”"

30 years ago, everyone would be blaming Shannen.  But this time IF this part is true, this is clearly Jennie and Tori's work.

The reboot was Tori's idea, and she seems to think she has her father's talent, so I can see her butting heads with writers, producers, etc.  Jennie has become a high maintenance has-been who seems to be siding with Tori to keep this job.

• Love 3
(edited)

That article was totally reading too much into a couple of social media posts just to further the drama. Jennie wished Tori a happy birthday, and Tori showed a pic of her eating cupcakes with Jennie and Jason. The end. There may very well be drama onset but Jennie and Tori did not “address the drama” like the headline says. Shannen expressed her frustration with fake headlines on her Instagram page and I can’t blame her. She’s in a tough spot because even if she isn’t causing any problems (And I don’t know if she is or not) people are going to automatically assume she is because of the past, and articles like that just feed into it.

Edited to add I saw those birthday posts when they originally appeared and it didn’t occur to me at all they were secretly referring to the drama. Seemed like innocent posts to me.

Edited by desertflower
  • Love 6
(edited)

“Happy birthday to my partner and best friend for life. Wow, we’ve been thru some s*#t! And today was no exception!” Garth wrote.

I think this is the post that got people speculating.  Both of them posted that they were busy on set all day on Tori's birthday.  Then, Jennie makes a reference to Tori, her very best friend, and all the s*#t they've been through specifically referencing that particular day, which they'd spent working on the show.  Finally Tori's birthday pic includes Jason and Jennie and no one else.  I can see how others can take all these pieces of information and put them together to say that clearly all is not well on the set of the reboot.  And considering how Shannen was vilified by both Jennie and Tori back in the day, I don't think it is too big a stretch for people to think that she may be the source of all the s**t that poor, poor, pitiful Jennie and Tori, martyrs that they are, are having to deal with.

I think that Tori, in particular, has gotten very far on very little talent, by getting ahead of the story and making sure that fingers are pointed at others when the fit is about to hit the shan.  Flinging fit right at Shan seems to be literally true in this case.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4
(edited)
20 hours ago, scorpio1031 said:

The reboot was Tori's idea, and she seems to think she has her father's talent, so I can see her butting heads with writers, producers, etc.  Jennie has become a high maintenance has-been who seems to be siding with Tori to keep this job.

Maybe this is Tori's idea to get people invested in the reboot because she subscribes to the notion that any attention is good attention? (Which would make sense.)

I remember I thought Tori was going to branch out beyond her life and build a reality show empire on Oxygen and Lifetime featuring t.v. stars from the 80's and 90's, but she kept having babies instead.

I think that Tori, in particular, has gotten very far on very little talent, by getting ahead of the story and making sure that fingers are pointed at others when the fit is about to hit the shan.  Flinging fit right at Shan seems to be literally true in this case.

I mean, I enjoyed sTori Telling, her first bio, but it seemed pretty obvious from reading her book that she doesn't really own her behavior and choices at all.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

I'm very tired of all the "OMG, Jennie and Tori came up with this genius idea!" spin in articles I keep reading.  Maybe they were the impetus to getting it going, but this meta reboot angle is not new, and hasn't been for years, especially since they partnered with the "So NoTORIous" guys.

• Love 1

I absolutely love that two of the biggest movie stars on the planet were star struck by Luke Perry.

(The only thing I don’t get is Brad’s comment about Luke being an icon when he was a teen. He’s older than Luke and wouldn’t have been a teen during 90210. But maybe he was just speaking generally or including Leo in his comment, who actually would’ve been a teen then.) Anyway, I love their comments about him.

https://people.com/movies/brad-pitt-leonardo-dicaprio-felt-like-kids-working-luke-perry/

• Love 5

The CW 90210 will be completely disregarded in this reality/reboot hybrid.

I mean, that makes sense- I would guess they wouldn't bother getting the rights for the CW show.

Kelly having a teenaged son orphaned by Dylan's death would just be too sad. I also really want to see Alive Sober Jackie, and Erin not being a psychotic wench. (I'm assuming they legally couldn't call her Silver.)

I did want to see Brenda with a Chinese tweenaged daughter, though. Oh, well.

• Love 2

I learned from someone on this forum that BAG has a podcast...I’ve only listened to a couple episodes but I thought this was a good one to share. He talks a lot about Luke. It’s from a couple months ago, probably just a few weeks after Luke passed.

5 hours ago, desertflower said:

I learned from someone on this forum that BAG has a podcast...I’ve only listened to a couple episodes but I thought this was a good one to share. He talks a lot about Luke. It’s from a couple months ago, probably just a few weeks after Luke passed.

He's doing a live taping at the school where the high school years was filmed at the end of August.  https://www.facebook.com/events/2713342832014214/  A good friend of mine is going and will be living her best life being there.  

• Love 5

So I've been LOVING!!!!! Watching the first season of Charmed. And just seeing how GORGEOUS and SEXY Shannen is, if she'd remained on this show, she should have been the ones the guys were panting after. Then again, in Charmed, her character was close to her real life age and not like Brenda, who was three years, I think, younger than Shannen herself. Not to mention she's the BEST actor, next to Luke Perry. Yes, I'm biased.

I suppose this next comment is better suited for the Charmed forum, but that first season--I just loved the chemistry between all three actresses--and the little "oohh!" with the eye squinting and clenching of fingers that Pru and Phoebe would give each other. It wasn't snark, but a form of showing love, I think. It just makes it all the more difficult for me to accept that Shannen and Alyssa Milano had any problems. On the other hand, they were professional enough to not let it bleed onto the show, like some actresses and actors of the more recent past do, hence the insulting split screen scenes being passed off as both actors being in the same scene.

Hilarious how a number of guest stars from this show, just hopped on over to the WB to appear on Charmed during the Shannen years!

On 5/14/2019 at 1:38 AM, purist said:

I LOVED Grosse Pointe. It brilliantly and accurately skewered the Spelling teenage drama style of show.

I was rewatching Entourage this past weekend, and was really happy to see Lindsay Sloane’s guest appearance since her character was a bit Marcy-ish.

(edited)
On 7/29/2019 at 1:38 PM, MCMLXXVII said:

I LOVED Grosse Pointe. It brilliantly and accurately skewered the Spelling teenage drama style of show.

It's an interesting artifact now too, because that style of teenaged drama isn't really done anymore. All successful American teen dramas in the past 10 years followed 3 basic modes- a mystery (Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, Riverdale), science fiction genre (The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, the 100), or some kind of social issue (Glee- they were a literal singing Benneton ad of social issues), Secret Life- teen pregnancy, Switched at Birth- persons with handicaps, South of Nowhere- coming out as a lesbian, The Fosters- same sex parenting, 13 Reasons Why- teen suicide, Euphoria will get a 2nd year and they tackled addition and transgenderism)...there's nothing that really follows the 90210 template that survived more than 1 year. The O.C. was kind of the end of line for that vein of teen drama. Even the CW reboot of 90210 had Dixon be an adopted black kid and made their Steve Standers gay.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's an interesting artifact now too, because that style of teenaged drama isn't really done anymore. All successful American teen dramas in the past 10 years followed 3 basic modes- a mystery (Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, Riverdale), science fiction genre (The Vampire Diaries, Teen Wolf, the Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, the 100), or some kind of social issue (Glee- they were a literal singing Benneton ad of social issues), Secret Life- teen pregnancy, Switched at Birth- persons with handicaps, South of Nowhere- coming out as a lesbian, The Fosters- same sex parenting, 13 Reasons Why- teen suicide, Euphoria will get a 2nd year and they tackled addition and transgenderism)...there's nothing that really follows the 90210 template that survived more than 1 year. The O.C. was kind of the end of line for that vein of teen drama. Even the CW reboot of 90210 had Dixon be an adopted black kid and made their Steve Standers gay.

I was thinking about that recently too . I tried watching riverdale but I couldn’t get into it . I like mysteries but more in movies rather than a new mystery every episode in a tv show . I like a good ole fashioned 90210 and one tree hill where it’s all about relationships , friendships and life’s drama . I think that’s what was able to make both of those shows stay on the air for so long . Shows limit their longevity by making their show about something specific . In 90210, they can do any storyline with any character and they did lol . I like that type of show better 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

You so made me laugh to the first part of the bolded (mine). As to the second part of the bolded I am waiting for there to be teen dramas that acknowledge everyone is not white, middle class or heterosexual but not make every single plot line about their experience in the world as someone who is X. I absolutely loved Switched at Birth for its portrayal of Deaf culture on tv, but there were so many things they got wrong and they were hemmed in. We have evolved past the “very special episode era”, but we rarely let teen characters be in an authentic way. 

I absolutely agree that teen dramas have really gone the supernatural/mystery angle compared to the “coming of age/slice of life” angle. 

This got me thinking about One Tree Hill which I haven’t rewatched in a while. The cast is doing another Christmas movie together. 

• Love 3

And even The O.C. started out a bit social-issuesy with Ryan being the poor kid saved from juvie, and they brought in Teresa, his mom, and his brother at various times as opposed to completely leaving his past behind.

I really enjoyed season one of All-American, though I care nothing about football. It’s got the romance/friends teen drama elements, the glamour of Beverly Hills, and realistic social issues for the setting. I posted on one of these threads last fall that it’s like they made a whole show about the interesting Black 90210 guest stars instead of just having Brandon or Donna pop into the ‘hood once a year wearing a white savior cape. That said, I don’t care enough about the characters to want to see it go past high school.

• Love 2

Also, I must say The O.C. and later Gossip Girl kind of annoyed me with having a BIG EVENT every week- Cotillion! The Killers are playing!(though I loved those shows’ music  and discovered so many bands from there), Black Tie Fundraiser # 587! Trip to Vegas/Paris/whatever! Fashion Show! Like-settle down already, a show like My So-Called Life is legendary just by exploring the characters in a middle-class suburban high school/family.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 2
On 7/31/2019 at 4:06 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I think the key word you use is "artifact." For whatever reason, it seems like teen shows today assume that audiences need a greater hook than just "teen drama" in order to attract viewers. Hence, we get shows that are all about an identifiable "thing" - murder mystery! Werewolves! Witches! The attitude seems to be that plain old teen drama is old fashioned and irrelevant. Hell, I'd go so far as to say even the "social issue" shows you mention (glee, secret life, etc.) are kind of passé now, with the exception of 13 Reasons, but that also kind of ties into the mystery category. 

And maybe that attitude is accurate - maybe audiences wouldn't tune in for a show in the same vein as 90210 or The O.C. But I know many people who continue to rewatch those shows again and again, and I know many who have discovered and enjoyed them well after they've gone off the air. I think there's always a market for exploring relationships and the trials of young adulthood in a (relatively) down to earth way. Personally, I hope we eventually circle back to teen drama for its own sake.

Edited by GrahamV
  • Love 7

Saw on the news that Shando will be on the Riverdale season premiere to honor Luke. Fitting as Brenda and Kelly personified the Betty and Veronica of the 90s, though the brunette started out as the girl next door and the blonde was the spoiled princess. Heh.

• Love 3

That's actually a flattering look on her. I think she looks better in the pastel, muted make-up. It looks better with the platinum blond hair than the dark tones she sported with that haircolor back in the 90's.

Edited by methodwriter85
8 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

That's actually a flattering look on her. I think she looks better in the pastel, muted make-up. It looks better with the platinum blond hair than the dark tones she sported with that haircolor back in the 90's.

Totally agree about the makeup. When she wears the bright red lipstick, it just highlights the work she's had done on her lips and cheeks. 

• Love 2
19 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I came across a maxipad commercial that Gabrielle did...I wanna say circa 1984-ish:

Her hair looked really pretty here. What possessed her to get that horrible perm? Did she want to be Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing?

She did! I think they were trying to style her younger than her years (again). This ad seems to be for a middle school aged girl and that hairstyle screams “I’m 12 in 1984!!”.....wasn’t she at least 20 by then? I looked it up and she was 23 in 1984. She was born Jan 2, 1961. 

On 8/9/2019 at 8:20 PM, Scarlett45 said:

She did! I think they were trying to style her younger than her years (again). This ad seems to be for a middle school aged girl and that hairstyle screams “I’m 12 in 1984!!”.....wasn’t she at least 20 by then? I looked it up and she was 23 in 1984. She was born Jan 2, 1961. 

Oh yeah, they're totally trying to making her look about 13 here.

Anyway, Shannen Doherty for Education Connection.

• Love 1

So I've never had ANY desire to watch Riverdale, because for me? Archie Andrews, and the gang was the animated show I grew up watching that had a live audience. I don't care that the comic had taken a dark and angsty turn. That was NOT Archie for me. Anyhoo.

I didn't realize that Luke Perry was on that show. And so I watched last night's season opener to see Shannen's homage to Luke.

Man. It was ROUGH. It was HARD to watch her one scene, as she talked about "Fred" knowing it was Luke she was talking about. I guess I should be thankful they didn't show more clips of him, except for the one at the end. But still. It was HARD.

That aside, while waiting for Shannen to show up, the show was boring as FUCK. I understand that last night was an aberration, since it was all about Luke/Fred, and the show will "return" to its normal whatever starting next week.

Maybe I'll give it a shot when I'm bored senseless and have nothing else to watch.

Now I'll always wonder if Shannen would have appeared on that show so she and Luke could reunite onscreen. Not as love interests, but as two actors sharing a screen again. He'd been a great source of support during her chemo and radiation.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

So I've never had ANY desire to watch Riverdale, because for me? Archie Andrews, and the gang was the animated show I grew up watching that had a live audience. I don't care that the comic had taken a dark and angsty turn. That was NOT Archie for me. Anyhoo.

I didn't realize that Luke Perry was on that show. And so I watched last night's season opener to see Shannen's homage to Luke.

Man. It was ROUGH. It was HARD to watch her one scene, as she talked about "Fred" knowing it was Luke she was talking about. I guess I should be thankful they didn't show more clips of him, except for the one at the end. But still. It was HARD.

That aside, while waiting for Shannen to show up, the show was boring as FUCK. I understand that last night was an aberration, since it was all about Luke/Fred, and the show will "return" to its normal whatever starting next week.

Maybe I'll give it a shot when I'm bored senseless and have nothing else to watch.

Now I'll always wonder if Shannen would have appeared on that show so she and Luke could reunite onscreen. Not as love interests, but as two actors sharing a screen again. He'd been a great source of support during her chemo and radiation.

The producers of Riverdale said Luke had been asking them to write a part for Shannen in an episode, that they both wanted to work together again and that the producers were waiting for the right time in the story to fit it in.  To me, anyway, that sounds like Shannen was very much willing to appear on the show with Luke.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

The producers of Riverdale said Luke had been asking them to write a part for Shannen in an episode, that they both wanted to work together again and that the producers were waiting for the right time in the story to fit it in.  To me, anyway, that sounds like Shannen was very much willing to appear on the show with Luke.

Thanks for that. And now I’m also doubly sad because it didn’t happen.😓😓