Type keyword(s) to search

Beyond 90210: Cast members in the media and other roles

• Start Topic

On 5/15/2021 at 3:25 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I originally shared this in the One Tree Hill thread:

So I was listening to the Beverly Hills 90210 Show podcast, and our own Paul Johansson  aka John Sears, was aiming to be an Olympic basketball player for Canada! He was cut a few weeks before the 1988 Olympics in Seoul, and that’s why he decided to go into acting. His role on OTH makes so much sense although we didn’t see Dan physically play a lot, but Paul would have the technical knowledge of the game which would help him in the part. 

It makes sense why John Sears was way more built than any guy who had shown up on 90210, and was taller even than Ian Ziering. 

It's funny when you think about now that guys on teen dramas are now expected to be built like professional athletes when that wasn't the case back in the 90's. They couldn't be fat, of course, but now they need to look like they could be athletes even if the character isn't supposed to be one.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

It's funny when you think about now that guys on teen dramas are now expected to be built like professional athletes when that wasn't the case back in the 90's. They couldn't be fat, of course, but now they need to look like they could be athletes even if the character isn't supposed to be one.

Yes, watching old 90210 episodes I was kind of amazed at how SKINNY the guys were. Of course there is nothing wrong with being skinny, but now male love interests are supposed to look like models. Body building wasnt super mainstream in the 90s, but even on Jenni/Tori's podcast they talk about how small Jason Priestley's waist was!

The guys, outside of Ian Ziering who was the most muscular (I do think he is just a "bigger guy" not big "fat" but broad) were all slim normal looking guys with handsome faces. 

After being cut from the Olympic Team, Paul was told he had a nice look and should go into acting/sports modeling- which was excellent advice because dude had EXCELLENT bone structure, and was so well formed (physically), plus the skills from basketball.

• Love 3
On 6/3/2021 at 8:38 AM, Scarlett45 said:

Yes, watching old 90210 episodes I was kind of amazed at how SKINNY the guys were. Of course there is nothing wrong with being skinny, but now male love interests are supposed to look like models. Body building wasnt super mainstream in the 90s, but even on Jenni/Tori's podcast they talk about how small Jason Priestley's waist was!

The guys, outside of Ian Ziering who was the most muscular (I do think he is just a "bigger guy" not big "fat" but broad) were all slim normal looking guys with handsome faces. 

After being cut from the Olympic Team, Paul was told he had a nice look and should go into acting/sports modeling- which was excellent advice because dude had EXCELLENT bone structure, and was so well formed (physically), plus the skills from basketball.

I wonder if being a 90s kid has affected my taste in men. Physical strength is super sexy, but I still think skinny men can be hot. A tall guy with a handsome face who's not fat, not a stick, maybe has some light muscle tone, sign me up!

Ian has a great body. He's muscular but doesn't look too OTT. I'm not into The Rock look.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, RealHousewife said:

I wonder if being a 90s kid has affected my taste in men. Physical strength is super sexy, but I still think skinny men can be hot. A tall guy with a handsome face who's not fat, not a stick, maybe has some light muscle tone, sign me up!

Ian has a great body. He's muscular but doesn't look too OTT. I'm not into The Rock look.

I’m a 90s kid too- Ian did have a nice body. (Still does, and I love blondes!) The Rock has a super handsome face, but his movie look is too hard to keep up day to day. He probably looks better in real life. 

I like the very muscled look. I say that I don’t have a firm muscular body, so it’s my duty to have sex with men with firm muscular bodies to be able to experience it. 🤣 

I don’t like skinny men, I’d prefer extra body fat than too lean. 

I would say the best looking guys in the cast were Ian Ziering, Paul Johnson  and Cress Williams (not in that order)- but this is my own personal taste coming through. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m a 90s kid too- Ian did have a nice body. (Still does, and I love blondes!) The Rock has a super handsome face, but his movie look is too hard to keep up day to day. He probably looks better in real life. 

I like the very muscled look. I say that I don’t have a firm muscular body, so it’s my duty to have sex with men with firm muscular bodies to be able to experience it. 🤣 

I would say the best looking guys in the cast were Ian Ziering, Paul Johnson  and Cress Williams (not in that order)- but this is my own personal taste coming through. 

Dylan and Noah were my faves. You really couldn’t go wrong with any of the 90210 guys. Even young David grew up to be quite hot. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm listening to this week's 9021OMG podcast. Jennie brought up that a fan sent her @Tara Ariano and @Sarah D. Bunting's 90210 book. Jennie said she was enjoying it for its realism.

Tori asked if they should have Tara and Sarah on their show. Jennie seemed up for it.

I think that would be a fantastic idea.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 4
25 minutes ago, purist said:

LOL 'realism' - does she mean 'brutal honesty'? 😄

Jennie told Tori that they talk shit about the characters, etc., but she appreciated it. 😂

Jennie and Tori have spoken, at length, about the problematic aspects of the show. Basically, the things Sarah and Tara addressed in the book and on their podcast.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2021 at 4:05 PM, Surrealist said:

I'm listening to this week's 9021OMG podcast. Jennie brought up that a fan sent her @Tara Ariano and @Sarah D. Bunting's 90210 book. Jennie said she was enjoying it for its realism.

Tori asked if they should have Tara and Sarah on their show. Jennie seemed up for it.

I think that would be a fantastic idea.

Oh thats such fun! I am a week behind on the podcast so I havent gotten to that yet.

Edited to add- "They have a very deep love of the show, but a very firm grasp on reality."- said Jennie (listening to the episode now)

🤣🤣🤣

• Love 2

In the most recent episode of 90210MG-Jennie also agrees with me, that Kelly's costume in the Season 2 Halloween episode was sexy, but not nearly as risqué as everyone was making it out to be. It was a strapless dress with a bolero jacket and a high slit. Given that it was LA (and thus hot) I wouldn't have looked twice. Especially since Donna was a mermaid, in a much more revealing costume. 

image.png

• Love 2
(edited)
On 7/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, Scarlett45 said:

In the most recent episode of 90210MG-Jennie also agrees with me, that Kelly's costume in the Season 2 Halloween episode was sexy, but not nearly as risqué as everyone was making it out to be. It was a strapless dress with a bolero jacket and a high slit. Given that it was LA (and thus hot) I wouldn't have looked twice. Especially since Donna was a mermaid, in a much more revealing costume. 

image.png

I agreed with Jennie too. Her Halloween costume is tame compared to what I've seen these days, and in the more recent past.

This is the only "series over" show, besides GG, that I follow here.

I know this is a miscellaneous thread, but should we have a podcast one?

I'm so behind on the other 90210 podcast, and there are a ton of episodes to get through. I'm current on Jennie and Tori's. I really enjoy their rapport.

I know Tori and Shannen used to hang out regularly. Jennie always gave off a different vibe from them, so I never would have expected Jennie to become that close to Tori, but they're almost like sisters at this point. They can, basically, finish each other's sentences. I love that their friendship has stood the test of time, especially within the Hollywood environment.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2
On 7/27/2021 at 2:17 PM, Scarlett45 said:

image.png

12 minutes ago, Surrealist said:

I agreed with Jennie too. Her Halloween costume is tame compared to what I've seen these days, and in the more recent past.

This is the only "series over" show, besides GG, that I follow here.

I know this is a miscellaneous thread, but should we have a podcast one?

I'm so behind on the other 90210 podcast, and there are a ton of episodes to get through. I'm current on Jennie and Tori's. I really enjoy their rapport.

I know Tori and Shannen used to hang out regularly. Jennie always gave off a different vibe from them, so I never would have expected Jennie to become that close to Tori, but they're almost like sisters at this point. They can, basically, finish each other's sentences. I love that their friendship has stood the test of time, especially within the Hollywood environment.

What did they say about her Halloween look again? It's been awhile since I watched the episode. While I think that is damn near modest these days as far as Halloween costumes go, to be honest I do think that was risqué for its time. The jacket was sheer, the bodice was low-cut and looked like lingerie, and the slit wasn't just high, the skirt material barely covered her downstairs. 

kelly-taylor-halloween-beverly-hills-902

cover_medium.jpg?v=2

I'm not mad at a gal for looking super sexy on Halloween, but my idea of a regular strapless dress with a high slit is more like this . . .

Angelina-Jolie-slit.jpg

It's cool the ladies are such good friends after all these years and like sisters. Jennie was asked to join Real Housewives, but she turned it down. Tori on the other hand has expressed wanting to join the show, but she was never offered the chance. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

What did they say about her Halloween look again? It's been awhile since I watched the episode. While I think that is damn near modest these days as far as Halloween costumes go, to be honest I do think that was risqué for its time. The jacket was sheer, the bodice was low-cut and looked like lingerie, and the slit wasn't just high, the skirt material barely covered her downstairs. 

kelly-taylor-halloween-beverly-hills-902

cover_medium.jpg?v=2

I'm not mad at a gal for looking super sexy on Halloween, but my idea of a regular strapless dress with a high slit is more like this . . .

Angelina-Jolie-slit.jpg

It's cool the ladies are such good friends after all these years and like sisters. Jennie was asked to join Real Housewives, but she turned it down. Tori on the other hand has expressed wanting to join the show, but she was never offered the chance. 

In the world of the show, Kelly was warned that her costume was “too much” and a guy tries to sexually assault her. But in the end the message is that, the costume was no excuse for the guy’s actions (obviously). What I didn’t get was that Tori/Donna was in a much more revealing costume, she was a mermaid will a shell bra! Yet that was “funny” because Donna couldn’t move and she was half naked but Kelly was too sexy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

In the world of the show, Kelly was warned that her costume was “too much” and a guy tries to sexually assault her. But in the end the message is that, the costume was no excuse for the guy’s actions (obviously). What I didn’t get was that Tori/Donna was in a much more revealing costume, she was a mermaid will a shell bra! Yet that was “funny” because Donna couldn’t move and she was half naked but Kelly was too sexy. 

Thank you! I remember now. Kelly literally had everything happen to her, didn't she? I'm glad the message was that there was no excuse. 

Sometimes you show more skin but look less sexy. 

I just discovered the Hulu documentary series “Dark Side of the 90s”-highly recommend, Jason Priestley, Chuck Rosin, and Gabrielle Carteris are on the TV for Teens episode, mostly focusing on the rise of the Fox network.

Edited by MCMLXXVII
  • Love 2
On 6/14/2021 at 8:08 PM, Scarlett45 said:

I thought the 90210 guys were good-looking, but my 90s thing is I’m always attracted to long-haired men- hair band or grunge look, surfers, locs , it doesn’t matter. I was way more into Jordan Catalano than any of the 90210 guys at the time. 🥰I’m still sad that long hair on men never really made a comeback, even though Docs did. 😕

• Like 1
Just now, MCMLXXVII said:

I thought the 90210 guys were good-looking, but my 90s thing is I’m always attracted to long-haired men- hair band or grunge look, surfers, locs , it doesn’t matter. I was way more into Jordan Catalano than any of the 90210 guys at the time. 🥰I’m still sad that long hair on men never really made a comeback, even though Docs did. 😕

I only like long hair on men if it’s dread locs. There’s a very hot tall man that works on my floor with GORGEOUS locs- I die.

Now I do like a nice “head of hair”, Brian Austin Green, and Jason Priestly had nice hair during the shows run. Brian did cut it super short in college (but that was to go with his hip hop look I thought), but he had pretty hair and Jason’s was always styled well. Vincent Young- no. I didn’t like the spikes. 

• Love 1

That’s true- Jason and Brian did have thick healthy looking hair.

I guess recently we did have that “man bun” period, but I’m also not big into facial hair, so it was less satisfactory than you’d think.😂

I am behind on their podcasts but went straight to this episode. I didn’t know about her death until I saw this on their list of episodes. She brought so much charm and strength to such a small role. One of those great character actors. 64! So young. 

• Love 5
On 8/21/2022 at 7:12 PM, memememe76 said:

I am behind on their podcasts but went straight to this episode. I didn’t know about her death until I saw this on their list of episodes. She brought so much charm and strength to such a small role. One of those great character actors. 64! So young. 

I queued up the podcast to listen to the episode sometime this weekend. I never noticed it before but Denise looks so much like my Mom, especially with her hair short like it is in the article I linked! I guess I am used to seeing her young (on the episodes), they are 10yrs a part. (My Mom is fine and very much a live, but it kinda pulled at my heart a little bit)

• Hugs 1
  • Love 2

He lived a full life, may he Rest In Peace. Another icon. Both Nat and Teasley are such strong positive examples of the archetypes they played. With both, they best worked when they gave the main characters what for. Interesting how most teen shows don’t feature that elder states person in any meaningful way. The show showed how such characters can work when they hire the right person and actually write for them.

Edited by memememe76
  • Love 6
11 hours ago, memememe76 said:

He lived a full life, may he Rest In Peace. Another icon. Both Nat and Teasley are such strong positive examples of the archetypes they played. With both, they best worked when they gave the main characters what for. Interesting how most teen shows don’t feature that elder states person in any meaningful way. The show showed how such characters can work when they hire the right person and actually write for them.

That is very true. I think one of the reasons 90210 is such a beloved show, is that the world felt very "full". Mike O'Malley (who played Kurt's Dad on Glee) said the best work these days was to be cast as a parent on a teen show, because you had consistent work but weren't chained to set. Joe E. Tata had such a great part, as the owner of the Peach Pit, he was able to hang around the full decade of the show's run but wasn't in every episode.

• Love 5