Type keyword(s) to search

In The Media: DWTS

• Start Topic

So, I've heard of or know exactly half, so that's something. Not as many as last season, but still, not...well, kind of terrible still.

1. Jamie Lynn Spears and Alan Bersten- Eh, I'm disappointed in the choice of celeb here but I imagine she may just be average. I can see her making it halfway before getting eliminated in a double. 
  2. Mauricio Umansky and Emma Slater - I don't know who this is but he doesn't look like he'll be very good. He'll probably slide by to week three before getting eliminated. However, he has a look that maybe he'll surprise me and get halfway. Or he'll be first or second or third out. 

3. Alyson Hannigan and Sasha Farber - Very excited for Alyson. I have no idea about her dancing ability but the excitement from fans alone will carry her a few weeks. I could see her making it halfway, if not a bit farther. She'd need to be terrible to go in the first half of the season so, if she's decent, she can survive a few weeks. But if she's terrible, I could see her making it to week four before being eliminated.

4. Harry Jowsey and Rylee Arnold - I don't know who this is but I guess he's some guy that's known for Too Hot To Handle? And they pair him with the freshly turned eighteen year old rookie pro? Well, I see exactly what they're gonna be doing here and I'm not looking forward to the constant fawning and pawing from Carrie Ann and Bruno. I do think he might be good, and even if he's not, he probably has a rabid fanbase who will carry him to semi-finals. And if he's really good, he's gonna make the finale. I guess Rylee has gotten herself a celeb that will give her the experience, but I'm really not sure what these two are going to bond over, as bonding helps with a pairing's connection on the dance floor. Either way, I will be annoyed by the judges when it comes to Harry, but hoping Harry himself surprises people if we're gonna see him all season. 

5. Lele Pons and Brandon Armstrong - So I've heard of Lele, I watched her back on Vine about a decade ago but fell off of her in the past few years. Apparently, she's a good dancer and has Latin dance experience (she appeared on the Mexican version of The Masked Singer as well). It seems like she'll be good but the issue here is Brandon. He hasn't been able to get past 9th place with his partners due to his safe choreography. I'm not expecting anything different, unless Lele has the fanbase to push them to semis (which she might, she has a big fanbase but are they mostly in the States or overseas?). I think they CAN do well, but it's dependent on Brandon.

6. Jason Mraz and Daniella Karagach - Zero idea about how well Jason will do. I know his only famous song and that's about it. It seems like he might not do so well, or he could be a surprise hit. I mean, he has Dani so he's bound to make it past a few weeks, even if he's terrible, but I also could see him being an early elimination (between weeks 2-4). 

7. Charity Lawson and Artem Chigvintsev - And Artem gets another Bachelor Nation celeb! Zero idea on Charity and if she can dance, but Bachelor Nation alone should push them quite far. I said last year that people may be tired of Bachelor Nation and that was false, so who knows this year.  They have potential to make it to the end, but I could also see them being a shocking late game elimination.

8. Adrian Peterson and Britt Stewart - Yeah, so I read up on this guy's history and he has a lengthy history of domestic and child abuse so I really feel bad for Britt. Unfortunately, he looks like he might have some dance ability that can get them far. I like Britt a lot, I don't know if this is the partner I want for her, or for anyone, really. I'm actually hoping he sucks really bad and they go out early, sorry Britt.

9. Ariana Madix and Pasha Pashkov - Yes, finally! Pasha gets someone who could do really, really well! I am very happy for him, because he's gotten a mix of duds and celebs with potential, but the latter's issue is no fanbase to back them up. Ariana seems like she can dance AND she has the fanbase to help them out. This could very well help Pasha make it past the halfway point and I could see him really choreographing some great dances. I think they can be finalists, for sure. I do feel like this is the season for Pasha.

10. Barry Williams and Peta Murgatroyd - Well, I will always welcome a Brady Kid but I'm not so sure how he'll do. He'd need to really pull out all the stops and surprise us to not be the first elimination, or someone else would need to be downright terrible. He probably won't make it past week three but I'm hoping that I'm wrong.

11. Mira Sorvino and Gleb Savchenko - I know very little about Mira so have no idea how she'll do, especially with Gleb. I don't expect them to do amazing, but it's possible they make it to 6th place or something (which is still pretty good).

12. Tyson Beckford and Jenna Johnson - I have no idea who this guy is but I guess he's a supermodel or something? I'm surprised they gave Jenna one of the older men, but she could have some fun with him. I don't expect them to do amazing but I also am open to the idea that he could be better than I think and get far, as a result. I don't think they can make the finale, but I think they can get close.

13. Xochitl Gomez and Val Chmerkovskiy - I'm surprised by Xochitl being on this season but I welcome it. I have high hopes for her, and Val always does well with the younger celebs. I could see them being finalists. 

14. Matt Walsh and Koko Iwasaki -Looks like they're giving Koko the older funnier celebs, which isn't terrible but also not amazing. I don't know if Matt can dance but I think they'll survive the first elimination due to his charm, but probably be gone not long after.

• Like 4

Out of the list of fourteen celebrities I know Greg Brady and Britney's sister, and I know Jason Mraz's music but I'd be hard-pressed to recognize him if I saw him. Barry Williams and Allyson Hannigan are the best types of nostalgic celebrities from what this show used to be.

Adrian Peterson was charged and indicted for domestic abuse against his wife and child, and Jamie Lynn Spears' livelihood was subsidized for a decade-plus with her sister's money while Britney was under the conservatorship. DWTS has done controversial castings for years (was the very first one Kate Gosselin?) but over the last couple of seasons the controversial castings have gotten worse and worse, controversy-wise. People that have abuse or even murder in their pasts. 

*Note: Britney's sister and Adrian Peterson are both controversial in their own way and Jamie Lynn is icky in her own right for what she did/didn't do to Britney but abusing your wife/child is many, MANY levels above.

• Like 6
12 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Mauricio Umansky and Emma Slater - I don't know who this is but he doesn't look like he'll be very good.

Mauricio is married to Kyle Richards (sister of Kathy Hilton, aunt to Paris). Kyle and Mauricio may or may not be separated, depending on what you read. 

Mauricio also founded The Agency, and is featured on Netflix "Selling Beverly Hills". He's also appeared on Million Dollar Listing LA a few times.

It's the first season in many years that I actually want to watch. I know who several of them are, and of the ones I don't know, none sound like they were put in the lineup because they're controversial.  In other words, no politicians or other trainwrecks!

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I am so puzzled why in 2023 that people can’t film with COVID. We are not in a pandemic. I am high risk and I don’t understand this one bit.

Maybe his partner isn't comfortable spending that much time with him.

12 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I am so puzzled why in 2023 that people can’t film with COVID. We are not in a pandemic. I am high risk and I don’t understand this one bit.

I am high risk too, COPD. I had Covid last February but it was a mild case luckily. Still I felt tired all the time and slept about 14 hours a day for a week. That might be the case with Artem, he just doesn't feel well enough. 

• Useful 1
15 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

The show is a worksite that employs many individuals. Cal/OSHA has some strict regulations for COVID-19 prevention that employers must follow to protect their employees, which includes excluding positive individuals from the workplace for an isolation period of 5 days minimum, in alignment with CDC, CDPH and Los Angeles County Public Health recommendations. 

I suppose the producers foolishly choose to adhere to the law in order to protect their employees, or perhaps to avoid Cal/OSHA fines and shutdowns, employee lawsuits, pushback from the unions, and bad press, all of which cuts into profits. 

• Like 4

So I just discovered that Cheryl Burke has a podcast!

I am loving it! Interesting that she is already saying she's getting some push back, even an email from one of the Pros. I don't see anything wrong with what she is doing/saying. She talks about her experiences and gets others to talk about theirs; so far she has had Sharna, Brian Austin Green, Max, and Tom on. Tom was wonderful as always. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, A.Ham said:

So I just discovered that Cheryl Burke has a podcast!

I am loving it! Interesting that she is already saying she's getting some push back, even an email from one of the Pros. I don't see anything wrong with what she is doing/saying. She talks about her experiences and gets others to talk about theirs; so far she has had Sharna, Brian Austin Green, Max, and Tom on. Tom was wonderful as always. 

She also had Heather Morris,Trista Sutter and Brooke Burke. I'm on the fence about this one, though. I feel at times she tends to goad her guests into talking smack about the show. But I guess they could always decline to answer if they were so inclined.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Catgyrl68 said:

I feel at times she tends to goad her guests into talking smack about the show.

Oh, you're right--I think she asked Maks in a rapid fire type of question to name the most annoying celebrity he had or some such. He clearly did not want to do that (don't blame him at all) and ended up not giving her a name. But she did try.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, Annber03 said:

He's not wrong. That was a very bad idea on the show's part for a whole host of reasons. Sucks that that's what led to him being let go, but I totally understand him not wanting to return after that whole mess. 

I fully agree with him. Tom is one of the best hosts in history, or any TV show. What are the producers thinking? Controversy at any cost? 

And they replaced him with Tyra, full on train wreck. Our only consolatin is Afonso who has the show well in hand. And Julianne, who knows what she is doing. 

• Like 11

DWTS: Why Cheryl Burke Won’t Be in Len Goodman Tribute, Despite Appearing in the Most Seasons
BY MATT WEBB MITOVICH   OCTOBER 23, 2023 
https://tvline.com/news/cheryl-burke-missing-dancing-with-the-stars-len-goodman-tribute-1235064612/ 

In a post shared on Threads, Burke explained, “For those of you asking if I’ll be a part of Len Goodman’s tribute next week on DWTS, unfortunately, I wasn’t invited. however, I’ll be there in spirit and can’t wait to cheer my former colleagues on! Sending love and light to everyone. 🤍🙏🏼 #riplen.”

ABC had no comment on Burke’s lack of an invitation.

Edited by tv echo
  • Sad 1
  • Useful 1

Oh joy! We get to see Harry clunk his way through a Viennese Waltz - can't wait (sarcasm).

I don't know where I read/heard it, but supposedly Mandy Moore, who did the choreography for the Eras tour, will be the guest judge on Taylor Swift night.

Edited by chicagofan
  • Like 3

At least Harry got a song that kind of works for a Viennese Waltz. I have no idea how Artem and Charity will make I Will Always Love You work. Its both the wrong time signature and way too slow. It feels like sabotage. 

11 hours ago, Andiethewestie said:

Link to Week 8. Whitney Night dances and dance off 

This is what a big DWTS nerd I am: I saw this and my first reaction was I miss Whitney Carson too, but a whole night dedicated to her??🤷‍♂️

• LOL 7
32 minutes ago, HerkyJerky said:

This is what a big DWTS nerd I am: I saw this and my first reaction was I miss Whitney Carson too, but a whole night dedicated to her??🤷‍♂️

Ms Carson spells Whitney  - Witney 

24 minutes ago, boyznkatz said:

Barry vs. Jason in a dance-off salsa? That's totally unfair (insert angry face emoji here.)

I initially thought this, but then I looked at it from Barry's perspective. Given that Harry has a horse shoe up his ass, lI'd rather go down with dignity and lose to a good dancer than possibly lose to a jackass.  

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Harry can do nothing but sit on his ass for the rest of the season, and Charity, Barry and Alyson will still lose to him. He's only going home when he's up against Ariana, Jason and Xochitl. If there are four people in the final, we're going to have no choice but to watch him unfortunately.

• Sad 2
7 hours ago, boyznkatz said:

Harry can do nothing but sit on his ass for the rest of the season, and Charity, Barry and Alyson will still lose to him. He's only going home when he's up against Ariana, Jason and Xochitl. If there are four people in the final, we're going to have no choice but to watch him unfortunately.

As a dance fan I do hope you're wrong, but we've seen this story too many times before where better ones go down before they should. 

I have hopes for Alyson to make the final 4 because she has survived the bottom more than once and this week she was safe due to her increased confidence and ability. I think it's brilliant to dance off Harry against her. The one who tries vs the one who cries. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 4

A few comments from Paula Abdul on her scoring as a guest judge: https://www.citizentribune.com/lifestyles/entertainment/dwts-paula-abdul-explains-why-she-scored-higher-than-the-other-judges-did/article_af2903f1-cdfb-59eb-b50c-5e59740647a4.html

“Here’s what I feel,” Abdul told us on the post-show press line. “I base [my score] not just on the performances that I’m watching but [on] the evolution of how they’ve become a better performer and better entertainer. Jason and Danielle are a formidable couple. I think he’s a big contender.”

Edited by lavenderblue
  • Like 7
  • Useful 4

The press release for next week did not include dance styles or songs. However Ariana announced her style and song, Xochiti and Jason have announced their dances on Instagram and are leaving clues for Swifties to figure out what song they have. Charity and Artem announced they would be doing a dance you would not expect but didn't reveal song or dance yet. Alyson  and the others haven't revealed their dance or style yet

• Useful 1

Carrie Ann Inaba says the late Florence Henderson would be 'immensely proud' of TV son Barry Williams on DWTS
By Maureen Lee Lenker  Updated on November 16, 2023
https://ew.com/dancing-with-the-stars-carrie-ann-inaba-says-florence-henderson-proud-barry-williams-8402429 

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You praised Harry Jowsey for showing marked improvement tonight. But be honest, are you a little bit shocked he's still here? Do you think his popularity on TikTok is impacting voting?

CARRIE ANN INABA: I praised Harry for the improvements I observed. There was a glimmer of grace shining through! And for beginners it’s important to continue to encourage their progress. Harry and Alyson [Hannigan] have improved the most in this competition and that deserves recognition and applause. They have listened to the judges feedback and have tried to implement it. 

What's apparent is that Harry has a huge fan base and they are supporting him. This fan base is likely influencing the voting, which isn't surprising. It reminds me of the season when Bobby Bones danced with Sharna Burgess. Despite low scores on the judges' leaderboard, he went on to win the season due to strong fan support.
Alyson's contemporary dance brought you to tears tonight. Can you elaborate on what you found so moving about it?

Dance has always been such a gift in my life, because it allows for expression that goes beyond what words can say. Movement allows us to say what words cannot and besides being a beautiful art form, it’s a powerful form of self care and love. I was moved to tears by Alyson’s dance because I see that she has found that gift and she will be able to tap into that for the rest of her life. That's the true healing power of dance. I could also relate to her story… I think many people could. I felt her truth, I think every one did. It was very moving. I’m proud of her and happy for her.
Why is there no judges' save this year? And is there one couple so far that you really wish you would have been able to save?

I must say that I'm pleased that as of this stage in the competition there hasn’t been a judges’ save! I prefer not to have the final say in determining who stays or goes. Our job is to judge, but the fourth or sometimes fifth judge has always been the audience. This makes our fantastic DWTS viewers an integral part of the show by giving them a say in the outcome. That is what makes the DWTS family what it is. It’s always been us and the viewers. We do it together.

ETA: She also explained why Xochitl/Val got perfect 10s for the tango and why Barry/Peta beat Jason/Daniella in the dance-offs (plus other comments about Jason and Charity).

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 2

Link for info. For the Semi Finals!

My dream for Jason getting his own song to dance to is a Reality! 
https://www.dgepress.com/abc/pressrelease/its-the-sizzling-semi-final-showdown-on-dancing-with-the-stars-nov-28/

Thoughts for next week:

I think the Waltz in general have some really good music. I think Xochiti will crush La Vie En Rose and  Alyson getting Come Away With Me will have some lovely moments.

Certainly Jason will be under enormous pressure to dance well to his own song. But it's HIS baby so with pressure comes joy.  His ballroom week 4 was a weak dance for him but he's come back so strong  that I think he'll be THAT frame for Dani's beautiful picture.  He's got a great mentor in Pasha. And because he was so good on the AT his Paso Doble will be 🔥 Move over ladies for the last man standing !!! 
Love the music for this. In season nine Lacey Scwhimmer used a version of it when she danced a Paso with Mark Decasco, it's been used in pro dances and Amber Reillly danced Paso to this music with Derek in her season. So Rojo Diablo is very familiar but good music is alway fresh 

The Jive for Alyson will be a tough one since Ariana is very capable and the contrast will be an issue for Alyson - and yet it makes me wonder if Ariana is not pulling the vote, because the show loves to do this kind of shit. 

Both Charity and Ariana should do well on the Quickstep and Foxtrot. For me the stand out Foxtrot so far this season is Charity's MoTown and I really loved Ariana's Quickstep, To me this classic dance it blew the doors off of Xochiti's highly oraised modern one. . We will see how they do when they exchange styles.

The Samba for Xochiti and the Rumba for Charity are question marks .The judges tend to get judgy with these dances because they're  so technical, but if they favor Xochiti to win they'll forget about the technicality and remark on how fun it was. By the way Samba by Gloria Estefan is more of a Salsa. I think it's difficult to Samba to that song. if they decide to judge it she may have some technical issues.

I don't think they will be so generous with Charity ,so Artem has got to get down with her and create some romance or it will just be a pretty dance with no heart. He does have an opportunity here because if they can get steamy it will be seen as redemption. 

Edited by Andiethewestie
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1

I left spoiler space before the quote in case you haven't yet watched last night's episode...

‘Dancing With the Stars’ Finalists on Semifinals Elimination Shocker & Why It Happened
Michael Maloney   November 29, 2023
https://www.tvinsider.com/1112960/dancing-with-the-stars-season-32-semifinals-no-elimination-alyson-xochitl-ariana-charity-jason/ 

“I thought it was a mistake,” Hannigan says of when she heard her and Farber’s names called first as finalists. “I was waiting for [host Alfonso Ribeiro] to say, ‘Oh, sorry. I meant Ariana [Madix].’ I just couldn’t believe he called our names first. I stood there in utter disbelief, waiting for him to correct himself.”
Xochitl Gomez had never been in the “bottom two,” but it appeared that was the case this week; still, she was actually more concerned about Madix going home than she was herself. “[Xochitl] is an empath,” Val Chmerkovskiy, Gomez’s pro partner, says. In turn, he was more concerned about her being locked out of the finals than he was about himself.

“I was just looking at her and thinking about her,” Chmerkovskiy says. “You know, I’ve been eliminated many times before. You feel sad, but you kind of take it on the chin. I want to protect her and keep her away from all these sad feelings.”

“I thought [Pasha Pashkov and I] were going,” Madix says. “I thought there was no way it would be Xochitl and Val but that at least we went out with a bang.”

“I think the level of dance won,” Pashkov says. “Every single couple in the semi-finals was so well-received. There was no reason not to do this.”
Next week, there will be five freestyle performances. It’s not uncommon for pro dancers to choreograph and plan a routine that resonates with their star. (For example, Jennifer Grey danced to a song from Dirty Dancing; Olympian Shawn Johnson performed gymnastic moves in her freestyle.) “I have a lot to choose from,” shares Farber about what his and Hannigan’s freestyle will be. “But I think I’ve nailed it. I’m very excited.”

“We have something in mind,” Chmerkovskiy teases of what his and Gomez’s freestyle will be. “I think Xochitl’s fans love to see her move and her fans enjoy her performances.”

“I’ll just say Charity’s [freestyle] is not going to be based on The Bachelorette,” Chigvintsev previews. “It’s definitely going to be combined with something that Charity has done before.”

“Ariana’s freestyle is going to literally scream who Ariana is,” says Pashkov, who will be competing in the finals for the first time opposite his wife, Daniella Karagach, who is paired with singer Jason Mraz. Watch for the singer to perform his single “I Feel Like Dancing,” but his performance won’t take place until after his two dances. “By the time I get to my song, it’ll just be a celebration,” Mraz says.

Edited by tv echo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jason getting a nice classic for his foxtrot redemption reminds me of James Hinchcliffe getting "It Had to Be You" for his foxtrot redemption. In both cases I approve.

I believe Charity was a cheerleader and Artem's hinted they're going to territory she's familiar with, so I'm expecting some flying stunts.

• Applause 2