Type keyword(s) to search

Kalani & Asuelu: Cheeto Dust and Slut People

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, sainte-chapelle said:

Funny how Ansuelu doesn't consider himself or Kalini slut people when all their relationship equated to was a casual vacation f$ck. if she didn't get pregnant they never would have seen each other again. I still don't see the love.

He appears to have the cognitive ability of a 12 year old.  It's what's so icky about their relationship.  It's really a little like she is having sex with a child, and how does anyone get turned on by that?* 

Remember that movie BIG?  It's kinda like that, except anseulu isn't as mature as that 13 year old kid.  

* - no intention to downplay child sex abuse, ansuelu is an adult and not a child so kalani isn't dojng anything wrong, their relationship just give me a case of the "ew's"

• Love 15

If people learn, develop, mature, ......that’s great, however, during his seasons, Asuela displayed no ability to even care for a child for a short period Of time. Even his wife complained of this. It was obvious she was asking him to do things that he was not capable of. It made for a ridiculous situation and was painful to watch. He seemed okay to play with the kids but not really parent. I hope that has changed.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If people learn, develop, mature, ......that’s great, however, during his seasons, Asuela displayed no ability to even care for a child for a short period Of time. Even his wife complained of this. It was obvious she was asking him to do things that he was not capable of. It made for a ridiculous situation and was painful to watch. He seemed okay to play with the kids but not really parent. I hope that has changed.  

I think I'm going to take @silverspoons word for this appearing to be played up for the show since she has seen him when the cameras aren't rolling. I can't definitively judge someone's parenting ability from a TV show known for embellishing and misrepresenting facts and personalities. The people I know IRL have little in common with the characters they create and exaggerate on the show. They made David look like a sad sack sponging off his buddy Chris and unable to provide for Annie and himself, when in reality he'd been teaching online since Thailand and made decent money. They didn't even live in Chris's building, that was for show. I take everything with a grain of salt.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
16 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

The firehouse or the self storage place?  Were both fake?

It was never a permanent residency, just places to film. They had an actual apartment (though I do think his son lived in the firehouse for awhile).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 5/22/2020 at 8:27 AM, endure said:

I don’t think I will be enjoying this season, not much to like here 😔😐🙄

Did I see that dufus and his mother are going to be on too, I can’t recall his name but they live in Vegas.  I saw a clip where he tells his mother he is ready to start dating again.  Seriously i could take another season of Larissa but not them.....they were even intolerable on Pillow Talk 🥺

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, mamadrama said:

I think I'm going to take @silverspoons word for this appearing to be played up for the show since she has seen him when the cameras aren't rolling. I can't definitively judge someone's parenting ability from a TV show known for embellishing and misrepresenting facts and personalities. The people I know IRL have little in common with the characters they create and exaggerate on the show. They made David look like a sad sack sponging off his buddy Chris and unable to provide for Annie and himself, when in reality he'd been teaching online since Thailand and made decent money. They didn't even live in Chris's building, that was for show. I take everything with a grain of salt.

Totally agree just look at the difference between the episodes and pillow talk.  As far as Asuelo if you look at his instagram account he appears to be a fantastic Dad and very hands on.

Edited by endure
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 5/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, silverspoons said:

Asuleu might being playing up his original naive reactions to America and his youthful fun loving spirit but he is not a child. I live near them and have seen him perform and he and the family out in public. This area has a huge Samoan population. I have met people right when they first came here from Samoa and they were just like Asuleu , overwhelmed with the noises and fast paced life. My son did his driving training with a young women who had just got here from Samoa to attend grad school (law school I believe) and she was just as overwhelmed and naive in some ways like Asuleu but she was very smart and well spoken if you talked about academics but the grocery store was so overwhelming to visit for her since she was used few choices and mostly fresh local foods. 

Asuleu night have fun on videos they post and they might be hamming up his personality to keep on TV? but he works and he works hard. One thing I can say about the Samoan community is the men work very hard, and provide for all of the family (even aunts cousins grandma). Asuelu is part of the cultural group and is close friends with some great young men. My son went to school and was friends with some of the young members. Asuleu was working 2 jobs (not sure who COVID has changed it) and long hours. In public he is well spoken , still funny, but he is not mentally handicapped or slow. It is actually refreshing to see someone always smiling and positive instead of complaining or he is seen having fun with his kids playing with them at the park or fun center when some dads are like, ugh, got to take care of the kids, I would rather be doing something else. 

Just to ad......Check out his instagram account he seems like a great Dad and husband and I love watching  his dance videos.

Edited by endure
  • Love 2
On 5/23/2020 at 1:44 PM, RealReality said:

He appears to have the cognitive ability of a 12 year old.  It's what's so icky about their relationship.  It's really a little like she is having sex with a child, and how does anyone get turned on by that?* 

Remember that movie BIG?  It's kinda like that, except anseulu isn't as mature as that 13 year old kid.  

* - no intention to downplay child sex abuse, ansuelu is an adult and not a child so kalani isn't dojng anything wrong, their relationship just give me a case of the "ew's"

I have a completely opposite take on Asuelo, after checking out his insta account He appears to be a very hands on Dad and adoring husband and very involved in his community and family, I loved watching all his dance videos.  I can sure see why she fell in love with him. I think he is probably culturally naive but overall it ads to his charm for me.

• Love 2
On 5/23/2020 at 11:08 AM, configdotsys said:

Kalani's dad was an asshole on the show. He always put on this tough guy, pissed off face and told Asuelu and the cameras that if he stepped out of line in any way, the father would not be happy. The implication was that he would beat up Asuelu, or that is what he wanted people to think. Instead, he came off looking like an ass. A grown man with grown daughters who are of marriage age acting like lout as if people would be enamored of his protection for his daughter. Meanwhile, his daughter is a bitch who treats her husband like a child and since he is mostly a child anyway, it makes it all worse. She was afraid to tell her father that she was preggo again because of what he would think/do to Asuelu, as if she had nothing to do with it. I could not stand the father. The whole family was weird. I don't watch Pillow Talk because I think all these couples couches/cams whatever shows are all about putting on an act and trying to come up with taglines and whatever rather than their true reaction to what's going on. Some of the people in the commercial for the Pillow Talk show come across as too dramatic so I can't be bothered with that.

I think the Dads concern was the type of Samoan man he was because there are some that do not treat their wives with any respect so he was being overly protective for a reason.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, endure said:

Totally agree just look at the difference between the episodes and pillow talk.  As far as Asuelo if you look at his instagram account he appears to be a fantastic Dad and very hands on.

Pillow Talk has made me do complete 180s on some of these people. 

• Love 13

Did I see that dufus and his mother are going to be on too, I can’t recall his name but they live in Vegas.  I saw a clip where he tells his mother he is ready to start dating again.  Seriously i could take another season of Larissa but not them.....they were even intolerable on Pillow Talk 🥺

Colt - or Coltee if you're Larissa and you're sucking up.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Kalani posted on her IG a message trying to find a woman in Samoa who was filmed being beaten by her husband why his family cheered them on. She said she wanted to help her get to safety. I'm not sure if the post has been removed or I'm just not seeing it because I don't follow her, but it sounds like someone may have been able to put her in touch with the woman.

I glanced at Asuelu's IG for it. too, and saw this video for Samoa tourism. He's proud of his heritage and country.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:10 AM, Booger666 said:

Yes, Kalani smirks a lot while acting put upon and making a big deal of letting tears stream down her face.  She is the biggest manufactured drama queen I have seen in a long, long time.  She sought out a “hot” foreigner to get knocked up by twice, even though she says it is against her and her family’s belief system.  She doesn’t build Anseulu up to her family like a normal person does when they are trying to convince others that their mate is a good person; she says that he is too immature to be a good father.  That is about the biggest insult she tell her family about her chosen mate.  She’s convincing them that not only is he not good enough for her, but that he may harm their grandson/nephew at some point.  She has admitted to lying to her sister.  She keeps putting Asuelu in the hot seat of having to explain things to her family.  She should be responsible for good, open communication channels with her family - not dumping the responsibility on him.  All of her choices would be fine if she were financially and emotionally mature enough to take care of herself and the repercussions of her frequent bad decisions.  But the financial responsibility falls to her daddy, and the emotional responsibility falls to her mommy who frequently takes care of her kid and her sister who acted as parent for the first year to help Kalani and Oliver out.  In summary, I think Kalani is one of the most hated female D list reality star - and that’s saying a lot.  Farrah Abraham thanks you, Kalani!  

I don’t know, Leida holds that distinction for me. But, this one is a close second 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 12/24/2018 at 2:09 PM, gingerella said:

My god, Kalani has the maturity of a 14 year old at best. When her friends asked her what’s the hottest thing about Asuelu Gump, she says ‘his penis’...?!? I loved that her friends were like, ‘Uh girlfriend, there are lots of other things that can be hot besides the actual dick...*SMH*’... It’s like she’s stunted, so in a way I get how they’re together because he acts like he’s a child too, blech...it's like a young teen having sex with a pre teen, emotional maturity-wise, which is gross.

And I agree with whomever said her parents should start reducing her allowance and make her get a damn job, NOW. Plenty of nursing mothers work and don’t sit around their fat asses bemoaning getting knocked up again. They should also find something around the family business, if there is one, where Asuelu can start working/contributing to without pay to at least DO something other than sit around watching TV all day. I mean, what the hell does he DO all day? He isn’t allowed to watch Oliver alone because he’s an idiot. He can’t work legally and if he could what the hell is he planning on doing for money anyway? What skills does he actually have? I dont think there are that many opportunities for a Samoan dude to fire dance or writhe around doing a native dance on the regular...unless there's some show in Vegas that is looking for Pacific Islanders for a dance number...And where do they come to have all this cash to be constantly swanning about in AirBnBs all the damn time? They had a free place to stay in UT right? Then sit your ass down there and get married there.

He said he did construction 

On HEA, Asuelu seems like a 3rd child to Kalani. I know this could partly be a language barrier issue, but he seems a bit "slow". And her whining to Asuela that he doesn't do anything is pointless because he thinks it's her job. She should offer clear solutions to the problem if she wants to get somewhere with him.

• Love 6

Everything still sounds like it is underwater and with his accent, I have no idea what he's saying. So, I don't know what it is other than it's Asuelo responding to viewers about comments made about him.

We have been catching up with episodes and just finished S6. I couldn’t help but watch Asuelo during the wild blow up at the Tell All and he seemed so disturbed by the competing noise that he was hitting himself in the head and was freaking out.

Ive gone back and forth about whether I think he’s DD, but now I am sure he is in the spectrum somewhere. That was classic behavior.

• Love 5

I'm married to a man with Asperger's. He's wildly intelligent. Teaches Anthropology at one of our state's biggest universities, runs a crazily popular podcast that often gets 20,000+ listens or more, and is a fantastic dad and husband. I've had to learn how to change my communication with him, though. He just processes things a little differently. Yelling at him, trying to shame him, guilt tripping him, lecturing-none of those things help. In fact, they just make him shut down.

I'm not into internet diagnosing people, but Aseulu has been a part of Kalani's family to where, on the spectrum or not, they should've learned by now that their style of communication isn't working with him. IMO Father Kalani ought to mentor him, take him under his wing, help him. Why not try? Threatening to send him back to Samoa obviously isn't working. 

• Love 9

So far, I like kalani a lot more this season.  She seems fairly flexible, she is trying to work with the situation, she is more patient and she seems intelligent.  

I think she just got a dud.  From what I understand of Asperger's, people who have it are very intelligent, their struggles are mostly social. 

I think that ansuelu is almost the opposite.  He is......dim.  I feel for kalani because I don't know what she can really do.  

Tonight, she was bringing up excellent and well thought out points about money and their savings  when ansuelu brought up visiting Samoa.  

Ansuelu just wasn't all there, he didn't understand and he just said whatever to get her to agree.  I don't think he understands simple monetary concepts. 

He was saying that they "have to bring gifts and money" but like Andrei he doesn't seem to understand that these gifts and money have to come from somewhere and if your only job is handing out yogurt samples part time you probably don't have the money.  Ansuelu just puts it on kalani to make these things happen.  

His face goes blank when she talks about the price of the tickets.  His answer that they will just stay at a resort again ignores their financial situation. 

I imagine TLC will fund a lot of this, but I don't know if the couple has to pay for any part of the trip at all. 

• Love 8

Asuelo has worked for Kalani's dad's construction business for awhile. I don't think the yogurt shop was anything long term and it was probably just for filming. 

I wonder if she deals with the bills and he doesn't take an active part. If he did, he may be able to grasp the expenses she's trying to get him to understand. He also expects that the show will be paying for it, and they likely already had discussed the issue with production

I think they are frauding us and everything was already set and scheduled before they filmed these scenes, and that's why they are coming across as her being reasonable and him being clueless as opposed to her being super bitchy about his inability to realize they can't afford the trip. She has trashed him on her IG for not helping around the house or with the kids, so her acting all reasonable on the show is, in my opinion, frauding to make her look better to the viewers this year. It's working, too. She's not coming across anywhere near as crappy as she did in the past.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Christina said:

Asuelo has worked for Kalani's dad's construction business for awhile. I don't think the yogurt shop was anything long term and it was probably just for filming. 

I wonder if she deals with the bills and he doesn't take an active part. If he did, he may be able to grasp the expenses she's trying to get him to understand. He also expects that the show will be paying for it, and they likely already had discussed the issue with production

I think they are frauding us and everything was already set and scheduled before they filmed these scenes, and that's why they are coming across as her being reasonable and him being clueless as opposed to her being super bitchy about his inability to realize they can't afford the trip. She has trashed him on her IG for not helping around the house or with the kids, so her acting all reasonable on the show is, in my opinion, frauding to make her look better to the viewers this year. It's working, too. She's not coming across anywhere near as crappy as she did in the past.

Does ansuelu still work for Lo's construction company, because, for me, I can think of at least three authentic reasons why that may have ended.  

1. Anseulu was a liability even doing basic construction  work because of his cognitive ability.  I'm not sure how construction works, but I assume that even basic tasks have to be done correctly.

2. Ansuelu decided it was boring working eight hours a day doing the same thing because lo couldn't let him do a variety of tasks. 

3. Lo was the worst boss ever in the history of the world and was doubly hard on ansuelu. 

I agree that a lot of what these couples do is for the benefit of the show AND there is a good chance that TLC is paying for a lot of this.....I just don't know how much of it they pay for.  Is it just the tickets for the flight?  Do they pay for lodging?  Do they pay for meals? Do they pay for rental cars and Ubers? Do they pay for the tickets to do an activity?  For instance, when Jennifer and Tim did that failed Zipline down from the statue, did TLC pay the admission fee or was that included in however much they paid to film there?

• Love 3
1 minute ago, RealReality said:

I agree that a lot of what these couples do is for the benefit of the show AND there is a good chance that TLC is paying for a lot of this.....I just don't know how much of it they pay for.  Is it just the tickets for the flight?  Do they pay for lodging?  Do they pay for meals? Do they pay for rental cars and Ubers? Do they pay for the tickets to do an activity?  For instance, when Jennifer and Tim did that failed Zipline down from the statue, did TLC pay the admission fee or was that included in however much they paid to film there?

I have a suspicion that TLC and the show participants come to an agreement about how much TLC will kick in for trips, etc.  Then the participant gets to do whatever activities/stay wherever they want, etc., within that dollar amount and whatever the participants are willing to kick in.  It does not appear to be a guaranteed all-expenses paid trip.

For example, Hawaii has been a favorite destination of participants from several shows.  I recall that the Gosselins, the Roloffs, and Bill and Jen from Little People went there and had really nice accommodations.  Then Kody Brown from Sister Wives wanted a bite of the Hawaiian vacation apple, but he had over 20 family members to take.  They ended up staying at what looked like an off-season kids' camp, and a barbequed pig with side dishes.  (And - from the look on Kody's face - he was expecting a luxury resort and fancy dinners.)

We once visited an activity in Sedona, Arizona (Pink Jeep Tour) that the Roloffs had done on their show.  I asked the guy who sold us our tickets whether the Roloffs had paid for their tickets.  He said, "Nope.  They were comped."  (Free advertising!)

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I have a suspicion that TLC and the show participants come to an agreement about how much TLC will kick in for trips, etc.  Then the participant gets to do whatever activities/stay wherever they want, etc., within that dollar amount and whatever the participants are willing to kick in.  It does not appear to be a guaranteed all-expenses paid trip.

For example, Hawaii has been a favorite destination of participants from several shows.  I recall that the Gosselins, the Roloffs, and Bill and Jen from Little People went there and had really nice accommodations.  Then Kody Brown from Sister Wives wanted a bite of the Hawaiian vacation apple, but he had over 20 family members to take.  They ended up staying at what looked like an off-season kids' camp, and a barbequed pig with side dishes.  (And - from the look on Kody's face - he was expecting a luxury resort and fancy dinners.)

We once visited an activity in Sedona, Arizona (Pink Jeep Tour) that the Roloffs had done on their show.  I asked the guy who sold us our tickets whether the Roloffs had paid for their tickets.  He said, "Nope.  They were comped."  (Free advertising!)

If you see the name of a place/restaurant/whatever... that generally means they're getting stuff comped for the free advertising of place/restaurant.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I think she just got a dud.  From what I understand of Asperger's, people who have it are very intelligent, their struggles are mostly social. 

I don't think that's the case - I think that people with Asperger's run the spectrum of cognitive abilities. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

I don't think that's the case - I think that people with Asperger's run the spectrum of cognitive abilities. 

Okay, sped teacher coming in!  The DSM 5 no longer lists Asberger's as a diagnosis as it was too wide a spectrum.  I am not implying @mamadrama's hubby does not have it, I am saying it is no longer diagnosed.  It is straight up Autism.  Generally, people with such cognitive issues do sound smart (and again, mamadrama's hubby is certainly smart, he seems very much an achiever) but this is where it can get tricky:  A guy at the BBQ knows A LOT about (fill in the blank) China, WW2, sewing machines, Michigan, etc.....because that is ALL they ever read about!  Ask them about current events or life in the Civil War and.......nope.  Nothing.  Hence, some of these folks are seen as ultra brilliant when in fact they know A TON about.....one thing.  It is kind of an inside joke that someSocial Studies teachers have ASD as they get to stand in front of a rapt audience, day after day talking about thier favorite topics, lol!

Asuelo?  He strikes me as......dim.  Simple.  Grew up on an island where men were men and women were women and tasks are simple.  Daddy Kaloani needs to dial back the threats to send him back as they do zero good.  I think anything more than a one direction task would send Asuelo into tears.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

Okay, sped teacher coming in!  The DSM 5 no longer lists Asberger's as a diagnosis as it was too wide a spectrum.  I am not implying @mamadrama's hubby does not have it, I am saying it is no longer diagnosed.  It is straight up Autism.  Generally, people with such cognitive issues do sound smart (and again, mamadrama's hubby is certainly smart, he seems very much an achiever) but this is where it can get tricky:  A guy at the BBQ knows A LOT about (fill in the blank) China, WW2, sewing machines, Michigan, etc.....because that is ALL they ever read about!  Ask them about current events or life in the Civil War and.......nope.  Nothing.  Hence, some of these folks are seen as ultra brilliant when in fact they know A TON about.....one thing.  It is kind of an inside joke that someSocial Studies teachers have ASD as they get to stand in front of a rapt audience, day after day talking about thier favorite topics, lol!

Asuelo?  He strikes me as......dim.  Simple.  Grew up on an island where men were men and women were women and tasks are simple.  Daddy Kaloani needs to dial back the threats to send him back as they do zero good.  I think anything more than a one direction task would send Asuelo into tears.

That's really interesting and it DOES describe my husband (who was diagnosed 16 years ago). He gets fixated on one topic and almost becomes obsessed with it. That topic will totally take over his life and he'll research the hell out of it...until something else comes along years later. Ask him about pop culture, current events, or anything else and you'll get a blank look. He can talk to his classes and on his podcast just fine, but in a social context he becomes zombified. He is incapable of reading between the lines, picking up on social cues, and showing sympathy (even though he feels it).

Personally, I miss his knife phase. He designed and created some real beauties. 

Asuelu may just be a few fries short of a Happy Meal. Either way, Family Kalani don't seem to be communicating well with him.

• Love 4
37 minutes ago, mamadrama said:

That's really interesting and it DOES describe my husband (who was diagnosed 16 years ago). He gets fixated on one topic and almost becomes obsessed with it. That topic will totally take over his life and he'll research the hell out of it...until something else comes along years later. Ask him about pop culture, current events, or anything else and you'll get a blank look. He can talk to his classes and on his podcast just fine, but in a social context he becomes zombified. He is incapable of reading between the lines, picking up on social cues, and showing sympathy (even though he feels it).

Personally, I miss his knife phase. He designed and created some real beauties. 

Asuelu may just be a few fries short of a Happy Meal. Either way, Family Kalani don't seem to be communicating well with him.

It does make sense, doesn't it?  Kinda reminds me of the guys on the Big Bang Theory (a fictional show, I know) where Penny was giving them a pop culture quiz:  "Okay, four sisters, they have the same letter for the first name, they go to parties, don't sem to work....."  Sheldon:  "Madame Curie!"

Again, ASD is a spectrum and the brain is still being studied, on the daily, especially non-neurotypical brains.  But Asuelo?  Dim, simple and I stand by my "more than one direction" will send him to tears.  "Okay, when you are done passing out samples, rinse out the plates and load them into the dishwasher, fill it with detergent, set it to regular cycle and start it.  Turn out the lights on your way out."  Cue to Aseulo minutes later, sobbing in a corner:  "What?  What do I do after the samples are gone???"

• Love 6
4 hours ago, MrBuhBye said:

Kalani doesn’t seem like an intellectual so they may not be that unbalanced of a match.  Neither is reading Proust.

I think we can all agree there are many stops between proust and ansuelu.  Kalani is at least reading a Kardashian self help book.

• LOL 11
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Mrs. Hanson said:

It does make sense, doesn't it?  Kinda reminds me of the guys on the Big Bang Theory (a fictional show, I know) where Penny was giving them a pop culture quiz:  "Okay, four sisters, they have the same letter for the first name, they go to parties, don't sem to work....."  Sheldon:  "Madame Curie!"

Again, ASD is a spectrum and the brain is still being studied, on the daily, especially non-neurotypical brains.  But Asuelo?  Dim, simple and I stand by my "more than one direction" will send him to tears.  "Okay, when you are done passing out samples, rinse out the plates and load them into the dishwasher, fill it with detergent, set it to regular cycle and start it.  Turn out the lights on your way out."  Cue to Aseulo minutes later, sobbing in a corner:  "What?  What do I do after the samples are gone???"

Understood, but it doesn’t explain the reaction he had to the screaming match. He was hitting himself. The input was maddening. Autism.

• Love 3
On 6/22/2020 at 10:48 AM, AZChristian said:

That is my understanding of how it works from some of the past castmembers.

With Tim and Jeniffer, it was a bit different because they took over at the last moment for another couple who bailed after everything was scheduled and the man (American) went on Reddit and told everyone how awful production was, how they told him they were going to create a jealousy between the Colombian he was going to visit and his ex who was also Colombian, and ultimately made demands of involving his child in the filming that ended up pushing him too far. He wanted the show to pay for the airfare and wanted the money to help pay for the visa fees, but decided it wasn't worth it and decided to do it on his own. Sharps biggest mistake was not having him sign an NDA before they started negotiations, allowing him to tell all.

Not only did he talk about them wanting to cause a jealousy issue where he said one didn't exist, he said they had arranged for them to attend that free fall place that Tim and Jeniffer were seen at and Teem had no interest in it. He disclosed all of it before the episodes aired, and then pointed out how Teem and Jeniffer were falling their script. There was something else he disclosed that took place but a few things that didn't.

It's part of the reason I think Jess was scheduled to film with someone else; that along with Larissa's IG behavior at the time they were filming. She was trying to pick fights with Vanessa, who like Debbie and Colt, ignored her, and kept reposting Jess' IGs and telling everyone to follow the beautiful Brazilian. She didn't want Colt herself but she also didn't want him to be happy with someone else so she tried to sabatoge his relationship with Vanessa, including sending him nudes and bragging online about how Colt was still attracted to her in an effort to make Vanessa jealous, but she didn't care. I'll probably dislike her as much as Larissa and Jess Caroline. 

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, PearlClutcher said:

I don't like the idea of people marrying Americans and their families expecting money all the time.  Kalani and her husband might travel to Samoa and he's already focused on money gifts? They're poor with 2 kids. Why on earth would his family expect money, culture or not? Same with Ed and Rose and Wher sister wanting him to send money to her.  If I were Kalani, I'd get that idea right out of their heads. Spending $3000 to come visit is quite a big deal.  I can understand helping out with food while visiting or maybe a group gift within their budget.  

Is it their culture or have they been watching reruns of Dynasty and Dallas?  (Yes I am old!)  And I agree - if my either of my sons was married with two young kids, no way no how would I expect a gift!  (And I have already made clear that someday, when/if we come to visit, Mom and Stepdaddy will be staying at a hotel!)

• Love 2

As someone that lives int he same area as Kalini, tonight episode left me with some questions (and some edit concerns). 

They took the kids to a brand new urgent care to talk to a nurse practitioner not a doctor about MMR's? Our city is landlocked and rural and had only one hospital chain and urgent care. It was wonderful to get the Corner Clinic but it is am urgent care clinic. They have no doctors, they actually are clear up front they are run by nurse practitioners and medical assistants and have limited services and are cash only. They are a much needed place, even for people like myself that pay a ton for health insurance, there are times that the only other urgent care has waits of 8 hours or more so sometimes paying $90 cash  and no wait is better then $40 co-pay and waiting 8 hours. 

Now I can see how Asuleu could have been confused. I wonder if this was an edit. The clinic tells you when you go they have no doctors  and he might not know the difference between nurse and nurse practitioner. I noticed when he asked if the women was a doctor, Kalini smiled and did not say yes. She was not going to lie, but I have a feeling they are trying to make the gender roles the story line and editting it to look that way. Kalini went to an OB/GYN office with female doctors, Asuleu , you can see on their social media was at the doctors, he has surly meet female doctors before. You can look up Corner Clinic in St George and see the NP that saw them and that there are no doctors. 

I would guess since this clinic is not near there home, it was the only place to film? Why go so far? and why go to an urgent care that sees mostly sick people with coughs and colds if you are germ phobic. why not see a family practice or peds clinic in our area have separate sections for well and sick kids. Why not go to the public health vaccine clinic, anyone can go and all they do is vaccines so they would have the best answers? 

I also wonder why they are hiding he works more then one job? I still do not understand the "yogurt" job, no one I know that goes there has seen him. It is far from his house and low wages. He could go about a mile from his house and get a job at a factory and make twice the wage. My guess is it is for filming? His other jobs involve kids so maybe they can't be filmed?  As I have said before there were ads around the citywith his picture saying he worked other jobs,  Then I wonder if he sees her "mom job" as easy because her mom, grandma is there all day with her and her siblings are there so she is not alone with the kids.  I guess I wonder why they are letting them edit themselves this way. After the first season , her mom, very nicely said there was an edit. She said, we filmed so many happy fun moments that they never showed, they focused on one theme.  

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
(edited)

I can't believe that Asuelo doesn't realize there is a  period to develop immunity after an MMR or any other vaccine.   It's also a two shot process, but started at 12 months.   He doesn't care about his kids as all, as long as he gets to go home, probably to stay for as long as he can.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Has TLC ever shown an American family getting a dowry gift from the in-laws?

Could someone divulge Asuelu’s other jobs?  If he goes to Samoa for a couple of weeks, will he just quit all those jobs? 

is Asuelu also Mormon? 

• Love 2

So let’s get this straight.   Kalani mocked her husband for asking if that was a nurse, corrected him that it was a doctor, and it was in fact a nurse?  Not excusing Asuelu’s sexism (and I think he meant men not boys) but talk about gaslighting.

21 minutes ago, Colfrmb said:

Could someone divulge Asuelu’s other jobs?  If he goes to Samoa for a couple of weeks, will he just quit all those jobs? 

is Asuelu also Mormon? 

Someone claimed that he does construction work for his FIL.

• Love 1
28 minutes ago, MrBuhBye said:

So let’s get this straight.   Kalani mocked her husband for asking if that was a nurse, corrected him that it was a doctor, and it was in fact a nurse? 

Nurse practitioner.  @silverspoons, who is listening with an attentive ear, says Kalani avoided actually saying the NP is a doctor.  Personally, I got the impression that Kalani said the NP was a doctor, but that may have been by design.

7 hours ago, silverspoons said:

Why not go to the public health vaccine clinic, anyone can go and all they do is vaccines so they would have the best answers? 

Why not go to their own pediatrician? 

I'm with you--I think this is very highly manufactured.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)
6 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I can't believe that Asuelo doesn't realize there is a  period to develop immunity after an MMR or any other vaccine.   It's also a two shot process, but started at 12 months.   He doesn't care about his kids as all, as long as he gets to go home, probably to stay for as long as he can.     

You really can't believe that ansuelu doesn't understand something basic?  

Have you seen him eat an apple?

4 hours ago, Saltgypsie said:

Ok...what did Kalani do before this show? Did she work?  Why can't she get a job? I'm confused. I had to work when my kids were toddlers.. it can be done Kalani.

What is she going to do with the kids if she works all day, leave them with halfwit anseulu who thinks everything is easy and locks himself up in a room to play video games?  No way would I trust him with children full time.  

He is so yucky, he makes my skin crawl. 

Edited by RealReality
  • LOL 1
  • Love 6

I tend to believe that this couple is highly manufacturing the drama because they know what will keep them on the TLC 90 Day franchises the longest. And Asshuelo being a misogynistic douchenozzle will keep them on the air, so she wont have to work. They know exactly what they're doing except Ass is playing the role of 'Dumb Blonde', no disrespect to dumb blondes...

• Love 2

So let’s get this straight.   Kalani mocked her husband for asking if that was a nurse, corrected him that it was a doctor, and it was in fact a nurse?  Not excusing Asuelu’s sexism (and I think he meant men not boys) but talk about gaslighting.

My nurse practitioner is also a doctor - as in PhD, not MD. 

anseulu

Asuelu - no "n"

What is she going to do with the kids if she works all day, leave them with halfwit anseulu who thinks everything is easy and locks himself up in a room to play video games?  No way would I trust him with children full time.  

She could do what every other family does in which both parents work outside the home (pre-COVID) - find childcare. It may be that the math doesn't really work in that she might pay more for childcare for two kids in diapers than she would earn but it's not like staying home is her only option. 

And Asshuelo being a misogynistic douchenozzle

I don't see Asuelo as hating women at all. I do think that he comes from a patriarchal culture in which people adhere to more traditional roles. He said himself that in his country, women take care of the kids and men don't. If you spent the entire first 23 years of your life living in a place where all the families were like that, you'd probably think that way too. 

• Love 4
(edited)
48 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

My nurse practitioner is also a doctor - as in PhD, not MD. 

Asuelu - no "n"

She could do what every other family does in which both parents work outside the home (pre-COVID) - find childcare. It may be that the math doesn't really work in that she might pay more for childcare for two kids in diapers than she would earn but it's not like staying home is her only option. 

I don't see Asuelo as hating women at all. I do think that he comes from a patriarchal culture in which people adhere to more traditional roles. He said himself that in his country, women take care of the kids and men don't. If you spent the entire first 23 years of your life living in a place where all the families were like that, you'd probably think that way too. 

Childcare on a single income for someone who doesn't appear to have much education or training doesn't seem likely.  

And prior to covid, the economy was putting along with low unemployment.  The best job asuelu could find was handing out yogurt samples part time.  So, his chances of getting a better job after having all this time to find one, also seems unlikely. 

There are plenty of patriarchal cultures where women are doctors and medical professionals.  A halfwit like him questioning anyone elses credentials and level of understanding is nonsense.  

Asuelu should never assume he is the smartest person in the room.  He shouldn't even think he is in the top two. 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 2
22 minutes ago, RealReality said:

Asuelu should never assume he is the smartest person in the room.  He shouldn't even think he is in the top two. 

If Aseulu was in a room with a fish and a turtle I'd still check under the rug for dust bunnies before I put him in the top 3...

• LOL 10
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Childcare may not be an option. Our cost of living here is one of the lowest in the country and our daycares are still $150 per week, per child. There are places where that amount exceeds $500 per week, per child. My husband stayed home for the first year because childcare was literally more than our rent at the time. Staying in the home truly was our only option. I was a family therapist at the time. It's a huge issue for parents and one of the main reasons it doesn't pay to work for some people. Aseulu doesn't act like he's qualified for many high-paying jobs.

• Love 2

8 hours ago, Colfrmb said:

is Asuelu also Mormon? 

Asuleu is Mormon. When he was first here he was spotted a a local ward (church) but since Kalini had said she was not an active Mormon during season 1  I did not say anything. Then they posted pictures on social media of being at church and going to conference meetings. Anyone who is Mormon or has Mormon church knowledge would be able to tell they are going to church. Then when he was playing volleyball with his friends, he mentioned church on the show. Since it is public now, I feel okay talking about it. I do not know if maybe Kalini is just going for the kids or if she is back to being a full member? She lives with her parents who are active Mormons and there are so many Samoans in our area they have Mormon services in the native Samoan language. I have wondered if he converted or was always a member. Samoan has many Mormons so it is possible he could have been before he met her. 

His jobs. He works at the rec center. There is a booklet they send out for people to join the rec center and it shows the staff and he is pictured. Besides regular rec center duties, I think he teaches some Samoan dance classes to young people.  He also works at the national parks system. I pull out of my street and at the stop light is this big banner of the national parks and his face is on it. This job is maybe an hour drive from their  house and has some crazy hours. He and several others put on a cultural dinner and dance show, twice a night 7 days a week with only a short time off in the winter. I can;t imagine he could get home before midnight.  He also does private parties and events with his group, they put on a feast of food and dances and activites for parties , schools or events. 

I have also heard rumors he works for her dad's construction business. I have no proof of this, but I have seen some of the guys he is friends with working on jobs so it is not hard to believe he would too. There is so much construction work and a dire need for workers, that I can;t see him saying no to his FIL if he was needed on a  job. 

6 hours ago, Saltgypsie said:

Ok...what did Kalani do before this show? Did she work?  Why can't she get a job? I'm confused. I had to work when my kids were toddlers.. it can be done Kalani.

Kalini I think talked about maybe working at an office on the first season but quit to have the first baby. If Kalini wanted a job, there are no issues at all getting one. My high school aged daughter was offered which did require some computer skills, but was an office job with spreadsheets and it was $22 a hr and she could not even drive yet. There are so many day caresthat would hire and  that let you bring your kids if she did not want to be away from them. There are also 3 at home legit companies that offer jobs all the time, a local bank, a property management company, and health insurance company.  These are popular with mom here. These are all legit jobs with full benefits for major companies , they give you a computer and you train for a few week and work from home doing customer service , billing type jobs. So she has options. I watch our local jobs boards and are amazed a person will say I need a job and they get offers within minutes. Even felons, I always think of Paul (Karine) saying he can't find work because he is a felon. He needs to move because they will hire felons here (on a trial basis but if you prove yourself, you will get a good job).

2 hours ago, RealReality said:

You really can't believe that ansuelu doesn't understand something basic?  

Have you seen him eat an apple?

What is she going to do with the kids if she works all day, leave them with halfwit anseulu who thinks everything is easy and locks himself up in a room to play video games?  No way would I trust him with children full time.  

He is so yucky, he makes my skin crawl. 

She lives with her mom so her mom could watch her kids. I do not see her mom as retired and I can't see her mom wanting her grand babies in daycare? If not her mom the Samoan community is incredible at taking care of each other. Now I think there would be some stigma as to why she had to work (like why Asuleu was not providing, or her parents or siblings not helping) but if she needed to work and needed help, I know they would step in. Then there is the Mormon community, she could easily find an at home mom in her ward to help her and the cost would be low. I see people willing to do it for $1-2 an hr or a flat $100 a week. Childcare is not an issue like it is in other places. I remember 15 years ago seeing people pay $8 an hr in NY, it is not like that here. There are so many people who love babies, I forgot that group. There are many Mormon women 50-65 that beg when someone posts for childcare to be able to take care of a baby again. They will say I raised 6 or 8 kids, I have a degree is family studies, I would give your baby all the love I have and treat it like my own. Some women really miss babies. 

• Useful 8
  • Love 3
(edited)
18 minutes ago, silverspoons said:

Asuleu is Mormon. When he was first here he was spotted a a local ward (church) but since Kalini had said she was not an active Mormon during season 1  I did not say anything. Then they posted pictures on social media of being at church and going to conference meetings. Anyone who is Mormon or has Mormon church knowledge would be able to tell they are going to church. Then when he was playing volleyball with his friends, he mentioned church on the show. Since it is public now, I feel okay talking about it. I do not know if maybe Kalini is just going for the kids or if she is back to being a full member? She lives with her parents who are active Mormons and there are so many Samoans in our area they have Mormon services in the native Samoan language. I have wondered if he converted or was always a member. Samoan has many Mormons so it is possible he could have been before he met her. 

His jobs. He works at the rec center. There is a booklet they send out for people to join the rec center and it shows the staff and he is pictured. Besides regular rec center duties, I think he teaches some Samoan dance classes to young people.  He also works at the national parks system. I pull out of my street and at the stop light is this big banner of the national parks and his face is on it. This job is maybe an hour drive from their  house and has some crazy hours. He and several others put on a cultural dinner and dance show, twice a night 7 days a week with only a short time off in the winter. I can;t imagine he could get home before midnight.  He also does private parties and events with his group, they put on a feast of food and dances and activites for parties , schools or events. 

I have also heard rumors he works for her dad's construction business. I have no proof of this, but I have seen some of the guys he is friends with working on jobs so it is not hard to believe he would too. There is so much construction work and a dire need for workers, that I can;t see him saying no to his FIL if he was needed on a  job. 

Kalini I think talked about maybe working at an office on the first season but quit to have the first baby. If Kalini wanted a job, there are no issues at all getting one. My high school aged daughter was offered which did require some computer skills, but was an office job with spreadsheets and it was $22 a hr and she could not even drive yet. There are so many day caresthat would hire and  that let you bring your kids if she did not want to be away from them. There are also 3 at home legit companies that offer jobs all the time, a local bank, a property management company, and health insurance company.  These are popular with mom here. These are all legit jobs with full benefits for major companies , they give you a computer and you train for a few week and work from home doing customer service , billing type jobs. So she has options. I watch our local jobs boards and are amazed a person will say I need a job and they get offers within minutes. Even felons, I always think of Paul (Karine) saying he can't find work because he is a felon. He needs to move because they will hire felons here (on a trial basis but if you prove yourself, you will get a good job).

She lives with her mom so her mom could watch her kids. I do not see her mom as retired and I can't see her mom wanting her grand babies in daycare? If not her mom the Samoan community is incredible at taking care of each other. Now I think there would be some stigma as to why she had to work (like why Asuleu was not providing, or her parents or siblings not helping) but if she needed to work and needed help, I know they would step in. Then there is the Mormon community, she could easily find an at home mom in her ward to help her and the cost would be low. I see people willing to do it for $1-2 an hr or a flat $100 a week. Childcare is not an issue like it is in other places. I remember 15 years ago seeing people pay $8 an hr in NY, it is not like that here. There are so many people who love babies, I forgot that group. There are many Mormon women 50-65 that beg when someone posts for childcare to be able to take care of a baby again. They will say I raised 6 or 8 kids, I have a degree is family studies, I would give your baby all the love I have and treat it like my own. Some women really miss babies. 

I think it's pretty selfish for people to just assume their parents have nothing else to do besides watch their children full time. It's a lot of work for anyone, particularly someone who isn't as young.  

If she wanted to do it it's one thing, but they weren't always there and I think kalani mentioned needing help, which makes me think her mother came because she was NEEDED, not because she wanted to.  Kalani should be getting help from her husband who is working part time. 

If I were kalani and ansuelu was not working more than part time, I wouldn't be about putting them into daycare. Because I wouldn't be down with a man who is lazing about and working a part time job while our kids sit in day care full time.  Getting someone a couple hours a week to clean and cook, even a nanny once a week to allow for some breathing room....I think that's fine, but enabling a grown man to be lazy and shiftless.....that wouldn't work for me.  

And I also wouldn't want someone like asuelu watching the kids alone for extended periods.  He damn near lost his mind at the reunion and so his ability to deal with crying and chaos of two kids is....just no. 

So, for me, it would be a rock and a hard place.  But then again, I wouldn't make a baby with a nitwit. 

Edited by RealReality
  • Love 5