Type keyword(s) to search

S2, E3: 36 Hours

• Start Topic

Dr. Melendez, Dr. Brown and Dr. Park have given a young married couple two choices about their future: save the wife’s life or their future ability to start a family. Meanwhile, when Dr. Lim has to take care of some personal business, she leaves oversight of the emergency room to Dr. Murphy and Dr. Reznick; and Dr. Glassman’s post-op recovery leaves him struggling to get the rest he needs for recovery and also confronting his relationship with his daughter.

"Your erection's back."

*Awkward silence, patient looks at Shaun*

*...she's not talking about me."

Okay, that cracked me up :D. I liked Shaun and Morgan working together. Wouldn't go looking to her for relationship advice, though. Glad they were able to handle things pretty well on their own overall. Poor Lim, though :p. 

So. That was awkward with Lea at the end. I'm thinking that this attempt to patch things up might go a lot better if she wasn't constantly trying to call him while he's at work or show up at the hospital. Like I said last week, even if he wasn't mad at her, this isn't the kind of job that makes it easy for family and friends to just pop in for a visit or call to talk about whatever (not that that would be easy at most jobs in general, mind, but I think this would be one of the harder ones in that regard). 

Regarding the 36-hour shift thing, I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea what the general medical community thinks about that issue one way or another (though I am curious as to what those who are in the medical field think about that topic). I'll just simply say that the idea of working any job for 36 hours straight sounds very exhausting to me, and doing that as a doctor even more so. 

And while I agree that it would've been better for Melendez, Claire, and the others to hash out their issues of who to listen to and whatnot while they're not working on somebody, I do agree with the general point about how women can't seem to win when it comes to asserting themselves. 

Right, so about halfway through this I was thinking that they really toned down Grating Blonde, and maybe I could get used to her. BUT then she started with saying Shaun's friends think he's a pet , so NOPE. Grating Blonde still sucks.

And again, I really don't remember Shaun's relationship with Lea last season being deep enough that she'd be so upset with him. So the whole situation just confuses me and seems out of nowhere.

Edited by Trini
20 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Regarding the 36-hour shift thing, I'm not a doctor, so I have no idea what the general medical community thinks about that issue one way or another (though I am curious as to what those who are in the medical field think about that topic). I'll just simply say that the idea of working any job for 36 hours straight sounds very exhausting to me, and doing that as a doctor even more so.

I can't imagine even doing something I really like for 36 hours straight without sleep.

And while I agree that it would've been better for Melendez, Claire, and the others to hash out their issues of who to listen to and whatnot while they're not working on somebody, I do agree with the general point about how women can't seem to win when it comes to asserting themselves. 

I thought they did a good job addressing that issue.  I am hoping they don't just drop it, but that it comes up from time to time, like it does in real life. 

I also enjoyed the actors acting with their eyes behind their surgical masks.  It added to the tension.   Loved all the side eye the nurse was giving. 

18 minutes ago, izabella said:

I also enjoyed the actors acting with their eyes behind their surgical masks.  It added to the tension.   Loved all the side eye the nurse was giving. 

Yes! I kept paying a lot of attention to that aspect as well.

I'm pretty sure I was making some of the same side-eye glances throughout :p. 

Paige is Dr Goldman’s daughter! (I’m blanking in the actress’s name). Other than that, I don’t care much about his story. Sorry.

I most enjoyed the plotline with Melendez and Claire in the OR. I do think the scrub nurse was a little out of line with her comments, but I’m sure she’s seen many surgeons treat female residents differently from the male residents. And I’m glad Claire stood up for herself.

19 minutes ago, izabella said:

I can't imagine even doing something I really like for 36 hours straight without sleep.

Studies show that all doctors—not just residents—make more medical errors when they’ve been working more than 12 hours. 

54 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I liked Shaun and Morgan working together. Wouldn't go looking to her for relationship advice, though. Glad they were able to handle things pretty we

Morgan does seem a little more palatable this season.  But I didn’t like it when she said that Claire and Shaun aren’t really friends. How the hell would she know? I doubt she has any friends. 

Still don’t care about Lea. 

Still missing Jared. 

6 minutes ago, topanga said:

Studies show that all doctors—not just residents—make more medical errors when they’ve been working more than 12 hours. 

That doesn't surprise me. I figured there was likely a lot of truth to Claire's arguments, but I didn't know if Andrews' take was the prevailing attitude in some medical circles or not. I'd be shocked if it were, 'cause yeah, I've never been up for 36 hours, but I have done a full 24 hours without sleeping, and worked during some of that time, and it definitely affected me some. So I can only imagine what being up even longer than that would do to somebody, especially when they're under this kind of stress. 

But I didn’t like it when she said that Claire and Shaun aren’t really friends. How the hell would she know? 

Yeah, I was surprised by that, too. I think in that case, she was letting some of her own personal history with Claire filter in there-those two haven't gotten on well from day one, after all. Suffice to say I very much disagree with her on that one. 

Edited by Annber03
32 minutes ago, topanga said:

Paige is Dr Goldman’s daughter! (I’m blanking in the actress’s name). Other than that, I don’t care much about his story. Sorry.

Clearly I have the memory of a goldfish. Which one is Dr Goldman?

Some medical nit-picky stuff:

Emergency Medicine is a specialty.  Surgeons can’t just roll into the ER and adequately treat most patients, unless there was a surgical issue.

And is Dr. Lim a surgeon or an EM doc—or both?

And why do people keep doubting Claire’s intelligence? She’s always coming up with new ideas before and during surgeries. She thinks outside the box. 

1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

"Your erection's back."

*Awkward silence, patient looks at Shaun*

*...she's not talking about me."

Okay, that cracked me up :D.

Me too. And I like that Shaun knew it was funny.

7 minutes ago, rhys said:

Clearly I have the memory of a goldfish. Which one is Dr Goldman?

Shaun’s mentor who had brain surgery. Is that his name.?

1 hour ago, topanga said:

And is Dr. Lim a surgeon or an EM doc—or both?

Yeah, they seem to have expanded/switched her specialty this season.

I know it's only the third episode, but I really hope they do more with Park. He been sidelined so far.

2 hours ago, Annber03 said:

That doesn't surprise me. I figured there was likely a lot of truth to Claire's arguments, but I didn't know if Andrews' take was the prevailing attitude in some medical circles or not. I'd be shocked if it were, 'cause yeah, I've never been up for 36 hours, but I have done a full 24 hours without sleeping, and worked during some of that time, and it definitely affected me some. So I can only imagine what being up even longer than that would do to somebody, especially when they're under this kind of stress. 

Yeah, I was surprised by that, too. I think in that case, she was letting some of her own personal history with Claire filter in there-those two haven't gotten on well from day one, after all. Suffice to say I very much disagree with her on that one. 

I've been up for 36 hours straight, things get odd around 42, because around hour 30, you get a second wind, then it goes away around 38. But I was in a hospital room the entire time, so I wasn't doing anything rigorous

I really liked this episode a lot.

I know it was not the best time or place for that OR's nurse to get sassy with Melendez, but dammit I loved it.  No backstory given, but you really felt her frustration and knew that this woman has seen some sexist shit going down in the OR and just could not this time.  HA! 

I also enjoyed Claire in this one.  I like how they just straight out acknowledged how good she was with delivering bad news to family.  She is, but damn.  But she got to work with a lot of different emotions: empathy, frustration, anger, resolve.  I hope she continues with the whole assertive thing. I'd love to see how that develops.

10 hours ago, izabella said:

Yes!  There was so much eye action and side eye action it added so much to the scene.  LOL.

I'm glad they gave Shaun a relatively lighter story this week.  I laughed out loud at the little sister who punched her brother in the jaw because he wouldn't bite down on the lightbulb.  She was pitch perfect as a ittle sister who was getting such delight in her brother's plight.  I found Reznick a little bearable last week but she's back to being unbearable.  The thing is she says stuff with such authority that is just a load of bullshit.  Honestly, if anything she was the one guilty of treating Shaun as less than, assuming he can't know the difference between someone being his friend and someone treating him like a pet.  That was what I found patronizing:  Oh here, let me tell you how people I haven't seen you interact with treat you, because of course your autism is all they see.  It is pretty insulting to Shaun, Claire and Lea. 

I like Lim, but her adventures in traffic court felt a little, I dunno, try hard.  Rides a motorcycle too fast!  Mouths off to a judge!  Ooh,  shes a rebel! 

Only part that did not work 100% for me is the Glassman stuff.

Did Lea know Shawn was working 36 hours that she was just waiting for him outside at the end of the night? And is she going to go back to Dawn's apartment. Sure he isn't being that great of a emotional friend but he is letting her stay at his place. So it's really a toss up. 

Will Shawn be paired with Park next week. He seems to be going from person to person. Jared-> Claire -> Morgan. 

Snarky nurse needs to learn that the time to throw shade is not while she is standing above someone's cut open body. I'll give her the side she about the PMS comment but the other stuff was so not needed.

I so did not need to see a petty vindictive judge on my tv. 

Spoiler

I know the blond from last year isn't the show anymore but will she never actually be on the show anymore. The gave Jared an exit story so I figured she would  get one too. Or at least a mention with how close she is to Glassman. 

11 hours ago, topanga said:

Morgan does seem a little more palatable this season.  But I didn’t like it when she said that Claire and Shaun aren’t really friends. How the hell would she know? I doubt she has any friends. 

The way she just strolled by at the end (made me laugh) almost makes me think she was doing some reverse psychology on him.  He did end up defending Lea a bit.

As for the whole 36 hours thing--ER got on the soapbox about this over 20 years ago.  It's still an issue??

12 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I did that a couple of times in grad school when I had to meet deadlines for assignments/papers, but I didn't have people's lives in my hands. Also, I was 22 then so I could pull it off; now it's a different story. ;)

Exactly, plus it's a huge liability if the hospital gets sued for malpractice. It was a missed opportunity to bring out Jessica and have her tell Andrews that. Or was Andrews being blasé about it supposed to show us that he's bad at his new job?

Paige is Dr Goldman’s daughter! (I’m blanking in the actress’s name).

Holly Taylor, a.k.a. Paige Jennings from The Americans. I know the actress needs a new job, but I really hope the ghost of Glassman's daughter doesn't become a regular thing, like the ghost of Denny on Grey's Anatomy.

Lim was really stupid not to take a day off for her court hearing, especially with her drivers' license being on the line. She doesn't have to tell anyone why she's taking time off - it's called a *personal* day for a reason.

I thought this was a good episode to see a 36 hour shift at work. 

So, we get Shaun working with Morgan (whose first name I finally remembered!). They still need a lot of development on Morgan since she's sticking around. She still is frustrating to watch, but I do notice them trying to soften her up more and trying to make her likable. I'm still not on board. 

The whole Melendez, Claire, and Nurse Florez stuff was something I didn't expect to see. It was the first time I think I agreed with Andrews when he basically told the three to stop acting like children. However, there was plenty of Claire and I think it was important to see her being forced into a more assertive role, even though it wouldn't make the patient happy at first. Luckily, the patient took it rather well, so good on Claire for making that decision. 

Lim was a bit out of line. I get her point about women in power and I think the judge was a little too harsh, but Lim didn't act appropriately either. Nonetheless, I'm happy for more Lim this season. 

Lea's not a great person. She may bring up a good point about Shaun, but I found myself rolling my eyes at her at the end.

So, Glassman's hallucinating his dead daughter, it seems.

1 hour ago, notcreative enough said:

I so did not need to see a petty vindictive judge on my tv. 

I disagree with this. Lim was out of line and wasting the court’s time. She should have taken the day off and had her phone off while in court. Courts are overburdened and expecting it to wait because she didn’t want to look bad to Andrews while a promotion is on the line is wrong. No one else should be pushed later into the day, even by five minutes, because Lim wouldn’t request a day off.

Also, she was warned clearly to stop fighting with the judge. She ignored that and was held in contempt. And then the judge had her released rather than let the contempt charge stand. 

I loved this episode. I don’t have much to say but I thought the conflicts were great, thought the acting was strong and thought there was a pretty good balance between the characters. 

Also, I laughed so hard when Andrews told Melendez to get a granola bar and some juice like he was a little kid because he sure was acting like one. 

3 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I'm glad they gave Shaun a relatively lighter story this week.  I laughed out loud at the little sister who punched her brother in the jaw because he wouldn't bite down on the lightbulb.  She was pitch perfect as a ittle sister who was getting such delight in her brother's plight. 

I for sure thought the mother was going to smack him, but the sister doing it was so much better! I have siblings, so this was hilarious.

2 hours ago, possibilities said:

I honestly don't know what Lea was talking about. She doesn't want to be judged? Sounds to me like she doesn't want to be accountable.

Something happened.  Not sure what but it can't be good and she needs a friend.  A real friend.  Of course now Shaun is ready to listen she isn't willing to speak...I loved that they explore the pet theory which does happen.  And the look on Shaun's face when he realizes the truth of Morgan's final statement.  None of us are (is!) perfect and nor is Lea but she DOES love him and she DOES treat him like a man.  You see the threads on twitter about "protecting Shaun at all costs"?  Or "she will take his virginity".  That makes me shiver.  If he chooses to have sex with Lea it will be as a fully consenting adult.  Treating autistic people as, well, people is at the heart of the autistic civil rights movement.

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I did that a couple of times in grad school when I had to meet deadlines for assignments/papers, but I didn't have people's lives in my hands. Also, I was 22 then so I could pull it off; now it's a different story. ;)

LOL, right? Age definitely is a factor to consider, too, for sure.

6 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I also enjoyed Claire in this one.  I like how they just straight out acknowledged how good she was with delivering bad news to family.  She is, but damn.  But she got to work with a lot of different emotions: empathy, frustration, anger, resolve. 

The scene with her and the woman's husband was so good. My heart broke for the poor guy. 

Did Lea really say at the end the end that she had been an awesome friend to Shaun?  I must have missed something, because I don’t recall anything awesome that she has done.  She also had a lot of nerve calling Shaun a jackass.  He has been letting her stay at his place after she unexpectedly showed up at his door.  I think that is a decent friend.  How exactly did he hurt her or judge her?  By letting her know she had hurt him and he prefer that she go away?  He didn’t call her a jerk or a jackass.  I guess he could have texted her back that he had no time to talk instead of deleting her messages, but she was almost getting stalkish. 

Reznik really is a prickly bitch, but I have to admit, she can make me laugh. 

I wish more time was spent on Glassman and his daughter.  I’ve always been curious as to the backstory there. 

If Lea had shown up and told Shaun she was in trouble and needed a friend, that would be one thing. Or if she had written him a letter while he was at work, explaining what was going on, ok. But she showed up all smiley, and she is acting like she has no idea that residents can't just take a spontaneous lunch or spend time with their friends while working in the ER-- I mean, c'mon!

I agree it's very good that they are addressing the "he's a man" issue. But the execution has been terrible.

1 minute ago, possibilities said:

If Lea had shown up and told Shaun she was in trouble and needed a friend, that would be one thing. Or if she had written him a letter while he was at work, explaining what was going on, ok. But she showed up all smiley, and she is acting like she has no idea that residents can't just take a spontaneous lunch or spend time with their friends while working in the ER-- I mean, c'mon!

I agree it's very good that they are addressing the "he's a man" issue. But the execution has been terrible.

I hope, hope, hope the show doesn’t go the Rain Man “make you a real man” route. I’m not holding my breath, though. 

43 minutes ago, possibilities said:

She also could have let him know ahead of time that she was coming, and could have stayed in contact with him while she was gone. 

I'm pretty sure it's just me but I have not enjoyed Dr Lim's increased presence at all. I found her court scenes to be ridiculous and I would hope that no one would be that stupid in real traffic court. (I'll admit that I've never been.)

Loved the scenes with the judge. She took such delight slapping down this doctor who felt the court should accommodate her. Loved the judge's anticipatory grin. It was like she was doing one of those goofy old-fashioned windups before delivering the uppercut. Bam! Guess who's in contempt?

"Uncle Fester, Junior".  Loved the sister hitting him in the jaw.

Also liked seeing happy Shaun boogieing while he brushed his teeth and walked on sunshine. 

I thought Lim's behavior was horrible, and I liked the judge. I think they were going for "women can be just as obnoxious as men" with Lim's behavior. Men who act like that on TV shows are sometimes considered heroes, though. House for ex behaved horribly all the time, and people loved to watch it. It's one of the weirder double standards.

It was really dumb of Lim to act the way she did with the judge. A judge is one person you don't mess with, because they can make your life miserable if you give them reason to. Lim was lucky that the judge only held her in contempt for several hours.

I'd thought that Reznick was starting to go down the "tone-down" route and become more likeable, since she and Shaun did work well with one another with their patients, and there were no cheap-shot attacks on Shaun's character by Reznick during that time. But not so fast! Reznick then goes and involves herself in Shaun's personal life (Claire did the same thing last episode but SHE at least had good intentions and is the furthest thing from Reznick as a person) by saying that Lea and Claire aren't really his friends and they treat him like a "pet". Uh, lady? How would you know? Have you ever had a friend you connect with like Shaun does with Claire or Lea?

To me, the best part was Reznick being proven wrong at the end, when Lea revealed that she does think of Shaun as a friend and person. And I hated that Reznick was waiting in the wings during all that, it shows she's a bitch who was looking to get a kick out of whatever drama she thought she caused. She can leave the show anytime!

With how selective people like Andrews are about people being assertive, it seems awfully hard for Claire and the others to know the lines they need to hover in.

5 hours ago, izabella said:

She also could have let him know ahead of time that she was coming, and could have stayed in contact with him while she was gone. 

She did stay in contact.  She sent him a playlist in episode 15 "thinking of you and trees".  There is an interesting article from autism advocate, Sara Luterman,  https://slate.com/arts/2017/12/with-the-good-doctor-autistic-protagonists-finally-have-the-freedom-to-be-jerks.html  which explores the fact that Shaun can also be a jerk, being as we all are jerks sometime.  There is also a saintly toxic disabled trope of inspiration porn that the series is gently debunking as well.  However bad she was, Shaun was almost as bad which allowed Lea to be honest about how she was feeling.  Something is up, perhaps enough to justify a cold call?  Who knows?  I'd like to.  I'm still in.  The great thing about series 2 is that it has all been painted in shades of grey.  Andrews is a monster about scheduling...but maybe not.  Melendez being sexist...but capable of being extremely gracious.  Dr Glassman a great man - but also in Aoki's terms manipulative.  And Shaun.  The Good Doctor.  Undoubtedly a good man but not a saint.  Hence the theme of series 2 - his greatest weakness is his greatest strength.  Lea isn't a saint either but neither she is she a one-dimensional pixie villain.  That's really not David Shore's style.

14 hours ago, Zoe said:

The way she just strolled by at the end (made me laugh) almost makes me think she was doing some reverse psychology on him.  He did end up defending Lea a bit.

As for the whole 36 hours thing--ER got on the soapbox about this over 20 years ago.  It's still an issue??

The hours have changed - it is capped at 24 hours - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_resident_work_hours#American_regulation

Starting July 1, 2017, the ACGME raised the maximum number of consecutive hours a first year resident can work from 16 hours to 24 hours - however, they wanted to raise it to 28 hours

Considering that I find it hard whenever I have to pull a double at my workplace (which is nowhere near as hectic or filled with life and death scenarios as a hospital is), the idea of doing 36 hours in a row is just mind-blowing.  Doctors really have to be on another level.

I guess I can have plenty to say about Reznick and her manipulations, but she and Shaun actually seem to be a solid duo when they're actually working together.  That was kind of nice.  And it was fun watching Shaun dealing with all the awkward moments with the guy and his constant erection!

The situation with Melendez, Claire, and Liza Lapria's nurse was interesting and well acted.  I think everyone kind of had their good and bad moments.  I did think Melendez was being unwittingly sexist with how he dismissed Claire's frustrations and how he said certain things (I totally think he didn't mean for his one remark to be a PMS crack, but dude totally walked into it), but I did think the nurse was picking the wrong times to call him out, and in general, it really is never a good idea to be openly snarky on your boss, no matter how big of a dick you think they are.  In the end, freaking Andrews of all people had the right idea of just telling them all to can it, and discuss it later.  But I'm not surprised they all covered for one another, because I do think their is still respect amongst all of them, and it was just the long shift causing things to escalate.  Still, I'm glad Claire in particular stood her ground about making the final decision.

I don't know if it is on purpose, but I still love how Park's main role this season is to apparently be the character who just witnessing all of this drama and wondering if maybe it would be easier to go back to being a cop and getting shot at.

Honestly, I love Lim, but I thought he really handled the traffic court the worst way imaginable.  Especially since she probably would have been able to get off easier if she just appealed it later on.  And I'm not sure I buy her hold claim that the judge was harsh on her because she was also a woman, because I feel like any judge would not have put up with that.

I get where Lea is coming from and Shaun was being a jerk for just avoiding the texts, but my issue is still that it never felt like Lea tried to establish a serious conversation when she first return, and was just trying to act like everything was back to the norm.  Her clearly not being prepared for this blowback is a hard reach for me.

So, Glassman is now seeing hallucinations of his dead daughter, played by Holly Taylor from The Americans.  Uh oh!

5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I don't know if it is on purpose, but I still love how Park's main role this season is to apparently be the character who just witnessing all of this drama and wondering if maybe it would be easier to go back to being a cop and getting shot at.

Honestly, I love Lim, but I thought he really handled the traffic court the worst way imaginable.  Especially since she probably would have been able to get off easier if she just appealed it later on.  And I'm not sure I buy her hold claim that the judge was harsh on her because she was also a woman, because I feel like any judge would not have put up with that.

I get where Lea is coming from and Shaun was being a jerk for just avoiding the texts, but my issue is still that it never felt like Lea tried to establish a serious conversation when she first return, and was just trying to act like everything was back to the norm.  Her clearly not being prepared for this blowback is a hard reach for me.

So, Glassman is now seeing hallucinations of his dead daughter, played by Holly Taylor from The Americans.  Uh oh!

That’s funny about Park. Yeah, I feel like he hasn’t been given much to do yet. All I know is that he’s the no-nonsense ex-cop who challenges his attendings. But is he smart? Is he a good surgery resident? I have no idea. 

Lim is a typical surgeon—no offense to surgeons. But surgeons think their opinions, their time, and their needs are more important than everyone else’s. And that is true in the OR: the surgeon has to make tough decisions and feel the utmost confidence in his or her decisions because a patient’s life is literally in their hands. They have to be in control of the room to a certain extent. If a surgeon needs a particular tool, a specific room temperature, or certain music in order  to their best work, then that’s the way it has to be. “In the operating room, I am God.” (Didn’t Alec Baldwin say that in a movie?). In any event, surgeons often have difficulty turning off that boss mode in their everyday lives. 

And that’s why I think Claire gets criticized by Andrews and others. I know she’s smart and is a good surgeon. She knows she is. But in the OR, she can’t back down whenever someone disagrees with her. When it comes to performing surgery, her medical judgement often will be required to save a patient’s life. I’m glad she’s staring to stand her ground. 

Is Lea’s presence helping Shaun grow in any way? Will it eventually?

16 hours ago, Fable said:

Did Lea really say at the end the end that she had been an awesome friend to Shaun?  I must have missed something, because I don’t recall anything awesome that she has done.  She also had a lot of nerve calling Shaun a jackass.  He has been letting her stay at his place after she unexpectedly showed up at his door.  I think that is a decent friend.  How exactly did he hurt her or judge her?  By letting her know she had hurt him and he prefer that she go away?  He didn’t call her a jerk or a jackass.  I guess he could have texted her back that he had no time to talk instead of deleting her messages, but she was almost getting stalkish.

That's cuz the conception of her character and the writing for her is just bad at this point.  Say what you will about how terrible Resnick is, at least from a character standpoint there is a clear POV and concept with her.  Lea is more and idea than a real character, imo.  The whole rant toward Shaun was nothing but theatre to prove to us in the aftermath of Resnick's pronouncement that she really thinks of Shaun as a man.  But because Lea really is a paper thin construct, it comes off as false and facile.  And of course it was immediately followed up with Resnick's cofnrimation. "oh look she called you jackass, you are a real boy!  Just trite, really.

The endometriosis plot really bothered me. Before they even started arguing in the OR they were being unprofessional, and I am not a lawyer (or a doctor) but to me as a layperson, seemed like they were looking at malpractice anyway. It was absolutely absurd that the doctors kept saying "wow it's so much worse than the imaging!" That is a shit excuse. The only way to diagnose endometriosis definitively IS SURGERY. It is extremely common for it to not show up on imaging at all. There are certain things you can see on imaging that classically accompany endometriosis, so  a doctor might look at an image and say "yup, this is totally that", but all of Melendez's surprise at how bad it was and all the "no wonder she was in so much pain" made him sound like a moron. It would've been more likely that an OB-GYN specialist would've diagnosed very likely endo based on the symptoms alone, and then used imaging to confirm the need for surgery to check it out more. They were expecting an hour surgery and it took 27? Before even going in they should have had a clear plan with the patient: what do you want us to do if the lesions are more severe than it looks, what do you want us to do if it's all on the outside of your ovaries, what blah blah blah. They shouldn't have needed the husband to choose live in that moment. These surgeries are often exploratory. I don't know if it's true with all surgeons, but to me, it was suggested the first basically be "confirm it exists" and if the lesions were small and easily gettable, take them out. But there was the distinct possibility always of the surgery being just "yup, this is what you've got, here are the remaining surgerical and non-surgical options" with it not all happening at once. They were morons to be so optimistic and over-promising before the surgery started...which I guess is very common on TV but even without ominous TV music implying this one was about to go south, everything he said to her before they started was way overpromising.

9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

3 hours ago, topanga said:

That’s funny about Park. Yeah, I feel like he hasn’t been given much to do yet. All I know is that he’s the no-nonsense ex-cop who challenges his attendings. But is he smart? Is he a good surgery resident? I have no idea. 

Really hoping they flesh Park out sooner rather than later.

On 9-10-2018 at 3:50 PM, DearEvette said:

I found Reznick a little bearable last week but she's back to being unbearable.  The thing is she says stuff with such authority that is just a load of bullshit.  Honestly, if anything she was the one guilty of treating Shaun as less than, assuming he can't know the difference between someone being his friend and someone treating him like a pet.  That was what I found patronizing:  Oh here, let me tell you how people I haven't seen you interact with treat you, because of course your autism is all they see.  It is pretty insulting to Shaun, Claire and Lea. 

I like Lim, but her adventures in traffic court felt a little, I dunno, try hard.  Rides a motorcycle too fast!  Mouths off to a judge!  Ooh,  shes a rebel! 

On the upside, Reznick at least admitted she was wrong in the end. I'm not sure if she was genuinely trying to be helpful or trying to play him, but it wouldn't surprise me if she thought she was being genuine and simply lacks the actual (life) experience to be able to give good advice. Does she even have friends? Has she ever had a friend? With the way she holds herself, I wouldn't be surprised if she's seriously lacking in the friends and romance department and is simply projecting onto Shaun without realizing it.

The traffic court bit was kinda meh, but it actually works for Lim as a charcter in my opinion. She is a rebel and everything from her arrogance, one night stand to typical surgeon behavior in this episode confirms what we saw of her in last week's episode: she thinks she knows best, is always right and her opinion is the only one that really matters, which is why she had no trouble going against the patient's decision last week by going ahead with the reconstruction and lying about consent.

44 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I think she's just as socially inept as Shaun is, just in different ways and for different reasons.

I think that is true of all of them from what they have shown us so far. 

On 2018-10-08 at 11:09 PM, Annber03 said:

I remember a whole kerfuffle about this in my neck of the woods about 1 or 2 years ago. I looked it up and residents went to court to protest 24 hour shifts. They won and now shifts are limited to 16 hours. I definitely would not want a doctor to see me on hour 35 of his shift. 

11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

The endometriosis plot really bothered me. Before they even started arguing in the OR they were being unprofessional, and I am not a lawyer (or a doctor) but to me as a layperson, seemed like they were looking at malpractice anyway. It was absolutely absurd that the doctors kept saying "wow it's so much worse than the imaging!" That is a shit excuse. The only way to diagnose endometriosis definitively IS SURGERY. It is extremely common for it to not show up on imaging at all. There are certain things you can see on imaging that classically accompany endometriosis, so  a doctor might look at an image and say "yup, this is totally that", but all of Melendez's surprise at how bad it was and all the "no wonder she was in so much pain" made him sound like a moron. It would've been more likely that an OB-GYN specialist would've diagnosed very likely endo based on the symptoms alone, and then used imaging to confirm the need for surgery to check it out more. They were expecting an hour surgery and it took 27? Before even going in they should have had a clear plan with the patient: what do you want us to do if the lesions are more severe than it looks, what do you want us to do if it's all on the outside of your ovaries, what blah blah blah. They shouldn't have needed the husband to choose live in that moment. These surgeries are often exploratory. I don't know if it's true with all surgeons, but to me, it was suggested the first basically be "confirm it exists" and if the lesions were small and easily gettable, take them out. But there was the distinct possibility always of the surgery being just "yup, this is what you've got, here are the remaining surgerical and non-surgical options" with it not all happening at once. They were morons to be so optimistic and over-promising before the surgery started...which I guess is very common on TV but even without ominous TV music implying this one was about to go south, everything he said to her before they started was way overpromising.

I absolutely agree.  I was diagnosed with Stage 4 endometriosis after I had a laparoscopic procedure to see what was happening.  Imaging showed nothing.  Manual manipulation gave them a clue because there was very little elasticity and ability to move organs.   They could see that there was a lot of scar tissue/adhesions which meant that they had GI and Urology surgeons ready in case (ultimately the GI surgeon had to repair my colon).  

I also question the use of a general surgeon for this.  Such surgery requires doctors skilled in this type of surgery, typically fertility surgeons.  My OB/GYN who I trusted implicitly, felt inadequate for the job.  As complicated as my case was (and it was), I was under for around five hours.  

Edited by dcubed

Watching this with my 13-year-old is getting more complicated. The unflagging erection, Lim's hookup with the lawyer, last week's genital mutilation. Fun! Anyway, this week's ep was good, but I had a few medical questions:

Shouldn't Glassman's head have been bandaged - even a bit? 

Can you really be anesthetized for 27 hours? 

How did Sean get the  balloon or whatever it was around the lightbulb in the kid's mouth?

Beyond that, I was annoyed with the husband. Surely they must have discussed this before the surgery. And they did seem awfully cheery about the surgery going in.

Finally, as an adoptive mother to the above-mentioned 13-year-old watching with me, it's hard to hear them talk about "it has always been her dream of becoming a mother and I can't take that away from her." 

Reznick is really in some ways even more socially awkward than Shaun is. She is just kind of bad with people in general. 

I mean, in the middle of the surgery might not be the best time to bring up gender issues in the work place, but they weren't wrong about how men tell woman to be more assertive, then get annoyed by it and tell them how mean they're being. 

So, LEA. Last season I thought she might be good for Shaun but I'm doubting that now. First she crashes at his home without asking, then texts and texts and texts to talk to him. Shaun finally speaks to her and she calls him a jackass? WTF? 

I thought Lea understood a little about people with autism, but maybe not. She doesn't seem to get why Shaun does what he does. Not liking her so far this season.

On ‎10‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:16 PM, Annber03 said:

I just have to share this. I was in the ER once with my 94-year-old grandmother. A resident walked in to help us, buck naked, and proceeded to examine my grandmother. After a very long minute, a nurse came running in and said, "Doctor, you need to stop and go put on some clothes." The resident looked down at himself and appeared truly shocked that he had no clothes on. He walked out and the nurse said, "I apologize, he has been up for 36 hours.

Enough said.

Edited by MaryHedwig