Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Speculation

• Start Topic

Robert Kirkman dropped a huge spoiler on the episode of @Midnight tonight that had a panel of 'The Walking Dead' folks -- Lauren Cohan (Maggie Green), Josh McDermit (Eugene) and Robert Kirkman.

In the final round, the challenge was to make up as many fake 'The Walking Dead' spoilers as they could in 60 seconds.

And one of Kirkman's responses was (paraphrasing here): "Glenn meets a character named Negan who beats him to death with a baseball ball named Lucille"

Which is basically what happened in the graphic novels -- but since these were fake spoilers they were supposed to be made up, I'm concluding that this means Glenn doesn't die at the hands of Negan on the TV show.  Which is great news, because I like Glenn.

You never know though, given Kirkman's tendency to be a bit of an asshole I can see him tossing a real spoiler in there and given it's a known comic spoiler it's easy for him to handwave as a joke.  Judging from Lauren Cohen's reaction though it's certainly not happening this season.  Eugene who knows the comics though, laughed his ass off.

• Love 5

Eugene who knows the comics though, laughed his ass off.

Eugene [Josh McDermitt] who knows his character is not that popular though, and whose boss is Robert Kirkman, laughed his ass off at the boss's joke.

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 1

http://www.inquisitr.com/1836636/the-walking-dead-spoilers-a-rick-grimes-romance-and-new-characters-coming-soon/

A Rick Grimes romance and new characters coming soon.

I do think referring to Aaron leaving the group some water as "a fairy zombie godmother" was ...awkward?

I figured that Alexandra Breckenridge would be a playing a love interest for Rick. I remember her being cast last year, and there were rumours about him meeting someone. She posted the other day on twitter, that she wouldn't be on TWD yet, but soon, and she couldn't say who she would be.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1836636/the-walking-dead-spoilers-a-rick-grimes-romance-and-new-characters-coming-soon/

A Rick Grimes romance and new characters coming soon.

I do think referring to Aaron leaving the group some water as "a fairy zombie godmother" was ...awkward?

Yeah, "fairy" was a poor choice of words. And considering they go on to say Aaron is gay, it makes it seem like they used that word on purpose. 

So it looks like Rick will lose the beard in episode 12. I'm sort of dreading that. AL looks so young clean shaven and I've gotten used to seeing crazy-pants Rick with the long hair and beard. And if he changes his clothes, he'll be downright unrecognizable. I wonder if anyone else (Daryl) will also clean up after reaching the ASZ.

• Love 2

Eugene [Josh McDermitt] who knows his character is not that popular though, and whose boss is Robert Kirkman, laughed his ass off at the boss's joke.

Josh is smart and a badass.  I don't think he's the desperate type that would suck up like that.  Also, he's a licensed hot air balloon pilot.  How cool is that?

• Love 4

Daryl needs a good scrubbin' and hair washin.'  He'll probably still end up looking the same after he cleans up, but he needs it.

Rick has been scruffy for a long time, and in the 'almost Grizzly Adams' stage just recently.   Once he is clean-shaven and neatly dressed again, he might just resemble his alter ego in Love Actually... all he needs are a bunch of giant cue cards and a boom box.  (He can hum "Silent Night" and that will work just fine.  I don't expect handy holiday CDs to be within reach during the ZA.)

It's funny -- in the latest episode thread I was saying that I would expect more survivors to be hooking up with people that they wouldn't normally hook up with in the zombie apocalypse, meaning that lots of folks would also probably be 'dating down' (for lack of a better phrase).   People would be 'settling' a lot more, I think, due to the limited options.

Rick, on the other hand, is basically going to get a super-hot playmate (even if she is mussed up a bit, to make her look as though she has been through traumatic events).   He's not going to have to 'settle' at all.  Alexandra Breckenridge is the same actress who drove Dylan McDermott's character to acts and thoughts of uncontrollable lust in the first season of American Horror Story, and she can be quite alluring.  I would imagine her character will have to be the one to make the first move with Rick, to knock him out of his sexual coma. 

It should be interesting to see how Rick interacts with a new mate.  We've never seen him getting frisky with anyone but Lori (who was boring as hell).

• Love 1
It should be interesting to see how Rick interacts with a new mate.  We've never seen him getting frisky with anyone but Lori (who was boring as hell).

The notion of sex with Lori reminds me of a joke about sex between a British couple:

Man: "Are you ok?"

Woman: "Yes - why do you ask?"

Man: "You moved."

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 3

I said in the other thread, wouldn't it be nice if just once, they proved us wrong and a new character turned out to be exactly what he or she seemed?

Oh God.   I have the same haircut as Daryl.

I'm guessing yours is clean, and of a color that does not age you 15 years.  The cut would look cute on some people--it might even look OK on Daryl if it was clean, and closer to his natural color (or at least not "Black Hole Light Absorbing Matte Black"--not found in nature colors can be awesome, but this one on him just isn't.)

• Love 2

I said in the other thread, wouldn't it be nice if just once, they proved us wrong and a new character turned out to be exactly what he or she seemed?

I'm guessing yours is clean, and of a color that does not age you 15 years.  The cut would look cute on some people--it might even look OK on Daryl if it was clean, and closer to his natural color (or at least not "Black Hole Light Absorbing Matte Black"--not found in nature colors can be awesome, but this one on him just isn't.)

I don't get why they have made his hair actually darken...He was dirty blonde at the beginning, wasn't he?  I am a natural blonde and if I didn't get my hair cut for a year or two and was outside in the sun all that time I would have some serious ho blonde white hair.

In another thread (I think in Daryl's thread) someone posted a link to an interview with the show's hairdresser, where she says--not kidding--that she's darkened his hair to represent the darkening of his character as time goes on. Not sure which part of that is most wrong. But it ages him horribly, and I disagree that his character has gotten darker over the years. Although he has gotten more emo. Maybe that's it.

Edited for typos--I suck typing on my phone.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 4

Speculation: Since I guessed what was at Terminus (images of that Twilight Zone cookbook came vividly to mind) before that season started I'm going to guess for the second half of this season too. As soon as I saw the clean guy now known as Aaron I thought that they might be lead to the nation's capital to be human lab rats for ZA research by what's left of our shattered government. Just a guess and I'm comic book and spoiler free.

• Love 1

Speculation: Since I guessed what was at Terminus (images of that Twilight Zone cookbook came vividly to mind) before that season started I'm going to guess for the second half of this season too. As soon as I saw the clean guy now known as Aaron I thought that they might be lead to the nation's capital to be human lab rats for ZA research by what's left of our shattered government. Just a guess and I'm comic book and spoiler free.

I had speculated something similar when Beth got grabbed—that Brady Hospital was conducting breeding experiments.

• Love 1

In another thread (I think in Daryl's thread) someone posted a link to an interview with the show's hairdresser, where she says--not kidding--that she's darkened his hair to represent the darkening of his character as time goes on. Not sure which part of that is most wrong. But it ages him horribly, and I disagree that his character has gotten darker over the years. Although he has gotten more emo. Maybe that's it.

Edited for typos--I suck typing on my phone.

Geez, I wish that my hair darkened as me and my life did, instead of having more grey come in. 

• Love 3

I keep seeing some fans freak out about this Jessie woman and the upcoming stuff with Rick. Has anything new been said (I'm not talking about comics or comics material)? I know they're probably going to hook up, but at this point it genuinely annoys me, to the point where I may take a break for a while, because if the show knew they were going to bring in a random new woman to be Rick's love interest, it's in poor taste to have him holding hands with Michonne and showcasing his relationship with Michonne again after they barely interacted in the first half of the season. That's just more ship-baiting and fan-baiting, and I got enough of that BS with Bethyl and Caryl.

• Love 3

I keep seeing some fans freak out about this Jessie woman and the upcoming stuff with Rick. Has anything new been said (I'm not talking about comics or comics material)? I know they're probably going to hook up, but at this point it genuinely annoys me, to the point where I may take a break for a while, because if the show knew they were going to bring in a random new woman to be Rick's love interest, it's in poor taste to have him holding hands with Michonne and showcasing his relationship with Michonne again after they barely interacted in the first half of the season. That's just more ship-baiting and fan-baiting, and I got enough of that BS with Bethyl and Caryl.

I don't remember them holding hands. I did see Michonne put her hand on his (that was on the steering wheel).

Since this IS the spoiler page, I could add that it wouldn't be them bringing in a random woman, and not as ship-baiting and fan-baiting. How? It's canon. It may or may not happen, you never know with TWD, but it would be no more random than introducing Aaron and the ASZ arc.

I don't remember them holding hands. I did see Michonne put her hand on his (that was on the steering wheel).

Since this IS the spoiler page, I could add that it wouldn't be them bringing in a random woman, and not as ship-baiting and fan-baiting. How? It's canon. It may or may not happen, you never know with TWD, but it would be no more random than introducing Aaron and the ASZ arc.

To me it's baiting to do this stuff with Rick and Michonne when they know there's some fan interest in the relationship. If the plan is for Rick to be with another woman, so be it, but the last few episodes should have been handled somewhat differently in that case. If they don't have plans for Rick and Michonne and want to keep them just friends then even something like the hands is going to mislead some fans. 

Michonne talking to Rick and trying to pull him out of a mental deep hole is ship-baiting?  Men and women who have lived with each other for a year or more can't interact on a deep level without it being tied to some romantic ship?  If fans are "misled" because they can't understand the various nuances of adult friendships then that's the fans' fault.  The show is going to go where it goes and it doesn't owe the shippers' feelings anything.  You ship at your own risk.

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 6

Michonne talking to Rick and trying to pull him out of a mental deep hole is ship-baiting?  Men and women who have lived with each other for a year or more can't interact on a deep level without it being tied to some romantic ship? 

Absolutely they can. I just don't believe the undertones of the last few episodes, especially the last one, come across that way, especially when the show knows some fans are very interested in the relationship.

If they plan on bringing in a new love interest for Rick, then building up his connection with Michonne right beforehand is just going to lead to fan wars and hostility, and nasty comments directed toward the actors.

This is what happened with Beth/Daryl/Carol and I have this dread in me that it will happen again.

• Love 2

In the comics, Michonne really becomes Rick's right hand person at ASZ--even more so than Abraham, Andrea, or Glenn, in my opinion. I'm just hoping the increase in interaction between the two is because they're taking t.v. Michonne in that direction as well, and not because they're setting up any sort of romantic relationship. I like them just the way they are.

• Love 4

Absolutely they can. I just don't believe the undertones of the last few episodes, especially the last one, come across that way, especially when the show knows some fans are very interested in the relationship.

If they plan on bringing in a new love interest for Rick, then building up his connection with Michonne right beforehand is just going to lead to fan wars and hostility, and nasty comments directed toward the actors.

This is what happened with Beth/Daryl/Carol and I have this dread in me that it will happen again.

They built up his relationship with Daryl, with Carol, they built up the relationship with Maggie and Sasha, and no way does building up a relationship obligate a romantic turn.

If you don't want to read Pride and Prejudice, don't; but then you can't get mad at the movie version having the female lead suddenly not go with the guy you wanted and go with another guy. That's the author's vision. Whether new fans years later are interested in something else is their own issue.

Stories cannot be created in reaction or created by committee.

"Undertones" are the opinion of some viewers;  that is their perception, but the show can't cut out directions that characters will go in because some viewers perceived it a certain way. Whatever way you or I perceive Aaron now---good or evil---is our own business but it will not have any effect on the storyline, and it shouldn't.

Nor should a show or actors be bullied in their work choices because of fear that they must do what fans dream of and not what they signed up for.

Fans yell at people from all kinds of shows because the character played shot someone or divorced someone; actors know some fans are unable to separate reality from ficiton and they can't pay attention to the nuttier ones.

Robert Kirkman wrote this starting 12 years ago. And no one said Boo then.

Now it's on television, and people think the show shouldn't be about the ultimate intent of the story he wanted to tell about people in the ZA, it should be about proving something. That's sad and disrespectful of the Bethisn'tdead nuts or whoever.

How would it be for people to go to the plays that Danai Gurira wrote and protest how the second act ends or who she cast? It's her vision!  She's a playwright not a short-order cook!  Same for Gimple or Whedon or Speilberg or Amy Tan. Anybody who wants a certain saga a certain way can write their own.

• Love 2

I've been saying every week when people have been all "man, those Richonne scenes were smokin' hot!" that I don't see it. And I honestly don't think the show has ever even hinted it's there.  There's no reason to think they're even aware it's a fan thing, because it's nowhere near rampant to the degree that the whole Bethyl thing was.

I think we're seeing two great actors that have good chemistry portraying two people who are close friends, and I can't think of one thing that's happened on the show that even hints at anything otherwise.  I'd challenge anyone to bring up something that absolutely shows that the show intended to give off that vibe, because there's never been anything other than close friendship there.

I don't think the show has ever hinted at Caryl, either.  The closest thing they ever did to hint at Bethyl was that stupid "I've never" game, and even that wasn't really anything.  Where the baiting came in there was Emily Kinney's hints in interviews and social media.

I was accused of calling shippers stupid when I said this, and that's not in any way how I feel (because I've been one and probably will be again with some show or other) but I do think that once a person ships a couple they start to see every interaction through that lens, because they're human and it's in their head and so it's inevitable.  I've been on both sides: wondering what the heck people are talking about when they say some particular scene or episode was just off the charts with sexual tension, and seeing something in an interaction that others absolutely didn't see. 

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 4

I, too, don't see rampant sexual tension in their scenes.  Nor in the Carol/Daryl ones.  I think they're all good friends/family by now, and have tons of love and respect for each other.  And if the show does decide to "go there" in either of those situations, I'm not going to find it too OOC, as I know couples have succeeded on a lot less.  I'm also not going to raise a ruckus if they have any of those four pair up with someone else (case in point: Jessie).  I'm just here for the survival of the human species.

• Love 4

There is an article today in the NY Observer where the writer basically talks about Aaron and Eric kissing, and says:

If it wasn't for the fact that this was established in the comic years ago, it could be mistaken for the worst kind of pandering to a fanbase.

Pandering is what some people want. Pandering to the fans is what destroys shows. Shows that started with integrity and ended as knee-jerk sucking up for the loudest squeegirls. This is about people surviving in what was termed the extinction event of the human race.  Not about Ross and Rachel.

If anyone is worried about the same type of BethylCaryllovers/haters  we can create a thread for their ridiculous shipping/flame wars and let everyone else enjoy the episodes. The show doesn't make that happen! Those people are responsible for their choices!

SPOILERS!!!! MAJOR SPOILERS!!! NO EXAGGERATION!!!

Edited by kikismom
  • Love 3

Andy Lincoln didn't look like a "simpering yuppie" in this October photo. (Looks like Glenn is keeping that patchy facial hair, though. Ugh.)

5444316eb761829379ff7a74_TWD_AL_NoBeard.

I just realized that this picture proves (I can't remember who predicted it) that while Rick will clean up when soap and water are to be had, Daryl will keep his midnight black, greasy, stringy emo-banged 'do. By choice.

• Love 2

If you don't want to read Pride and Prejudice, don't; but then you can't get mad at the movie version having the female lead suddenly not go with the guy you wanted and go with another guy. That's the author's vision. Whether new fans years later are interested in something else is their own issue.

SPOILER ALERT!!! SPOILER ALERT!!!

;)

I just realized that this picture proves (I can't remember who predicted it) that while Rick will clean up when soap and water are to be had, Daryl will keep his midnight black, greasy, stringy emo-banged 'do. By choice.

Is it just me, or is Daryl starting to bear a striking resemblance to Kate Jackson back in her Charlie's Angels days?

• Love 2

There is an article today in the NY Observer where the writer basically talks about Aaron and Eric kissing, and says:

If it wasn't for the fact that this was established in the comic years ago, it could be mistaken for the worst kind of pandering to a fanbase.

Pandering is what some people want. Pandering to the fans is what destroys shows. Shows that started with integrity and ended as knee-jerk sucking up for the loudest squeegirls. This is about people surviving in what was termed the extinction event of the human race.  Not about Ross and Rachel.

If anyone is worried about the same type of BethylCaryllovers/haters  we can create a thread for their ridiculous shipping/flame wars and let everyone else enjoy the episodes. The show doesn't make that happen! Those people are responsible for their choices!

The above spoilers are very interesting (and detailed)! 

It now makes me wonder what is going to become of Daryl and Carol  -- no, not in the Caryl/ship way, but just as part of the group.  I wonder if they will end up going off on their own and splitting from the gang, or if at least one of them will leave.  Hmm...

The above spoilers are very interesting (and detailed)! 

It now makes me wonder what is going to become of Daryl and Carol  -- no, not in the Caryl/ship way, but just as part of the group.  I wonder if they will end up going off on their own and splitting from the gang, or if at least one of them will leave.  Hmm...

Yes, the word "weak" makes me nervous.

They left out one detail; what kind of magazines? :-)

I'm glad that those fights don't happen here. I think we have a decent level of disagreement, without taking things too far. But I had to laugh at the Ross and Rachel comment. Michonne and Rick definitely aren't them. 

• Love 1

They built up his relationship with Daryl, with Carol, they built up the relationship with Maggie and Sasha, and no way does building up a relationship obligate a romantic turn.

How many times have the actors seriously talked (in interviews or on Talking Dead) about Rick possibly having a romantic relationship with Daryl, Carol, Maggie or Sasha? How many times have they acknowledged those ships and had the actors, or producers, suggest it may be a possibility?

Yes, the word "weak" makes me nervous.

They left out one detail; what kind of magazines? :-)

Maybe more comic books and some Better Homes and Gardens -- covering up a secret stash of Hustlers or something.

Was it Norman Reedus who once said that if and when Daryl ever leaves TWD, he'd like to see him just walking off into the distance...never to be heard from again (so that we never know what becomes of him)?  Or was it someone else from TWD's cast or crew who said that?  I know that Daryl was the character being referenced, but I just can't recall if it was NR who said it.

In any case, this whole little scenario coming up (as outlined in the spoilers) made me think, "I wonder if this is going to be Daryl's time to walk off into the distance."  It seems that there must be a plan for him at this new location -- in a non-planning sort of way.  If he is already a fish out of water, he may get restless and want to ramble on into the night.

Do we have to tag spoilers here?  If it's a major spoiler are we allowed to talk about it or do we have to tag it?

• Love 2

Maybe more comic books and some Better Homes and Gardens -- covering up a secret stash of Hustlers or something.

Was it Norman Reedus who once said that if and when Daryl ever leaves TWD, he'd like to see him just walking off into the distance...never to be heard from again (so that we never know what becomes of him)?  Or was it someone else from TWD's cast or crew who said that?  I know that Daryl was the character being referenced, but I just can't recall if it was NR who said it.

In any case, this whole little scenario coming up (as outlined in the spoilers) made me think, "I wonder if this is going to be Daryl's time to walk off into the distance."  It seems that there must be a plan for him at this new location -- in a non-planning sort of way.  If he is already a fish out of water, he may get restless and want to ramble on into the night.

That would be interesting, and since he is not in canon, he could do it.  But I have even wondered if the show would stick to the book for Carl, or have Daryl be the one who

gets held captive by Negan...only to eventually make a sort of mentorship/ with him?

Sorry, I know this is a spoiler page but I still put tags on some things because I'm so paranoid; the mods are in the trees! They're coming for me!

• Love 1

I wonder about this, too, and where there really is to go with both Daryl and Abraham in the mix.

• Love 2