Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E01: A Series of Unfortunate Flips

Thank you for starting this.

Is it my imagination or are they setting Jenny up to be angry about not getting her old job back?  Jeff's revelation that she has not been paid by him for years and that she is actually employed by Bravo changes my whole perspective.

Cute baby - always a nice addition to a show.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, QuinnM said:

Thank you for starting this.

Is it my imagination or are they setting Jenny up to be angry about not getting her old job back?  Jeff's revelation that she has not been paid by him for years and that she is actually employed by Bravo changes my whole perspective.

Cute baby - always a nice addition to a show.

Yeah, that edit of the three of them in the car, camera zooming in on Jenni's expression, definitely was meant to show us that she was unhappy with Tyler's involvement.  I don't know what to think about this news of the Jeff/Jenni split; part of me doesn't think of Jeff as one to manufacture drama for the show, but if she truly isn't an employee of his, then this is shady even by Bravo standards.  What it has done, probably by design, is cause us to watch.  Well, me anyway.

• Love 2

Most of us have speculated about bogus storylines on the Bravo shows.  To have Jeff blatantly admit that Jenny hasn’t worked for him in years, seems like they have betrayed the viewers.  I have always liked Jenny and I’m surprised she went along with this.  Nothing Jeff does would shock me.

Frankly, I’m surprised Jeff hasn’t been called on the carpet for his treatment of employees already.  He is a lawsuit waiting to happen.  Remember when he asked the employees to only go number “1” in the workplace.  Of course, who in their right mind would poop their knowing the ridicule that would follow if they left their VIPoo spray at home.  

I can’t imagine how his lengthy renovations can be so profitable.  He seem to be fastidious with detail and perhaps that is what makes his client willing to deal with the never ending process.  His designs themselves seem very one note.  Same look, time after time.

Jenny was a buffer to his atrocious behavior and he will be hard to take without her.

• Love 10

What a bizarre scenario to be trapped in the car with Jeff and his new assistant and then be told you were going to have a new job because the assistant was already doing your old one.  Isn't that something they would've talked about prior to her return?  Of course it wasn't realistic for her to come back to that.  Maybe have her manage a new project or something?

So Jeff and Monroe bond over watching tv together in the morning?  Does Gage do everything else?  Jeff freely admitted he was surprised he was as involved as he is and yet he wants another child?

I do feel sorry for the Vegas guy being brought in, he clearly has no idea what he's doing and I suspect Jeff has brought him in just for tv drama.

It was funny to watch the marathon before the season premiere, the house that Jeff was done with and never wants to return to he's decided to completely renovate because that's where they want Monroe to go to school?  I would think they'd be sending her to private school anyway.

• Love 5

I could never work in an environment where the entire office of employee's sits at one big table. How do you make business phone calls or concentrate on your own work when you can hear everybody else talking? It's an awful, uncomfortable set up. I know it's the new hip way to do it but give me my old fashioned private cubicle or desk any day and save the big table for meetings only! 

What house are Jeff and Gage living in now? It actually looked normal, with the darker kitchen cabinets and granite that you would buy at Home Depot and a plaid bedroom comforter instead of the modern, sterile design he prefers. Having children sure does change things. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 12
15 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

That house is never gonna get finished.

That was my thought as well. There is always going to be something Jeff does not like about that house. If it does get finished Monroe will probably be an adult.

• Love 3

I’m actually not mad at all that Jenni’s job as Jeff’s assistant has been presented as though it was same as usual, but behind the scenes she’s paid by Bravo to just be there as part of the show. Of course she doesn’t need that job anymore, but she’s a huge, original part of the series, so to keep her around for filming she was made an offer to play her previous role.  It’s a pretty sweet gig, it puts more money in her bank account, and it keeps the foundation of the cast together. Of course they wouldn’t mention on the show that situation because it breaks the 4th wall too much, and would alter the viewers’ enjoyment. Also, Jenni has more personality on camera than the rest of the staff, who we mostly see silently sitting or standing near Jeff looking awkward and uncomfortable.

i wonder if this has anything to do with the complaint she filed against Jeff. It’s possible that because he’s not the one paying her anymore that she became unwilling to put up with his meltdowns toward her. If she threatened to leave because he’s not actually her boss, that would only make his temper flare more, and I can see that leading to disaster between them.

I so enjoy seeing Jeff, Gage and Monroe just hanging out at home, doing their regular things.  I would love a lot more of that. Monroe is absolutely precious, and I’m even more taken with her now that she isn’t screaming like a banshee.

I don’t understand how Jeff is saying the company has had a good year if they are still working on the same houses from last season.  He’s got a large staff and an enormous amount of overhead to pay ... where does all that money come from? Surely not from the handful of client work we were shown. Maybe the paint line is killing it?

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Irritable said:

I don’t understand how Jeff is saying the company has had a good year if they are still working on the same houses from last season.  He’s got a large staff and an enormous amount of overhead to pay ... where does all that money come from? Surely not from the handful of client work we were shown. Maybe the paint line is killing it?

He must have a lot of other projects we don't see on the show. Then there's Chaz Dean who is constantly renovating, changing, building. That's another never ending process and lots of $$$$ for Jeff. 

• Love 6

True, Chaz Dean has been a Godsend for Jeff. What a genuinely good person he seems to be. I was so sad when the fire wiped out his brand new renovations, and I wish they hadn’t talked him out of the lucky penny water feature because I think the man should get what he wants, and that wasn’t really such an outlandish request by California standards. 

I hope we get more Chaz this season.

• Love 8
31 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

I could never work in an environment where the entire office of employee's sits at one big table. How do you make business phone calls or concentrate on your own work when you can hear everybody else talking? It's an awful, uncomfortable set up. I know it's the new hip way to do it but give me my old fashioned private cubicle or desk any day and save the big table for meetings only! 

I work in such an environment after YEARS and YEARS of having an office and prior to that having a cube with walls.   I thought the same as you -- that I would hate it.  I don't hate it at all and frankly enjoy it...  It builds a different camaraderie than offices/cubes can.  

• Love 3

I need my privacy when working and I have discovered that other people talk a hell of a lot more than is necessary, imo.  It really grates my nerves and impedes my concentration.  So, when, I'm forced to work that way, I have to be blunt and say, I need some quiet time to focus. So, let's focus on staying silent for a an hour or so.  STILL, many people can't do it. lol 

I actually liked last night's episode for the most part. I thought Jeff really kept a lid on it.  I think that I would have blown a gasket over some of the stuff he was contending with, so, I'm impressed with his patience.

Spoiler

I'll keep an open mind and see how this thing pans out. Fake fight or not...we'll see.  I think of realty tv shows much like I do professional wrestling.  The characters are invented, the skits are prearranged, the fights and insults are fake, BUT, occasionally, some of them REALLY get hurt and the injury is real.  So, I think the same thing happens with relationships in these so called reality shows.  Maybe, a lot is fake, but, the players can really get hurt. 

The Valley Vista place is quite close to the road....my goodness....I hope that he does love it, because, it's unlikely, he'll ever get his money back on that investment. 

I do not understand how he pays the overhead and provides a nice life for himself and his family.  Even with what we seeing coming in, the expenses must be huge!  His business is a huge undertaking.  I hope there are people who are really in charge that we never see.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

I used to love this show but it’s just getting tiresome. I think at this point just a design show for Jeff would be most enjoyable. His “I’m the king and I mistreat my people and isn’t it funny” shict is getting old and frankly isn’t amusing anymore. 

• Love 4

I could never work in that open desk scenario. Always having him look over your shoulder?  There’s some major trust issues there.  It also looks like their hours are ridiculous, in by 8 and then they go home around 8 after drinks?  And you have to eat your lunch with them?  When do you have a life?  The assistant is there 6 days a week?  Dude, it’s not worth it.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, scenicbyway said:

I could never work in that open desk scenario. Always having him look over your shoulder?  There’s some major trust issues there.  It also looks like their hours are ridiculous, in by 8 and then they go home around 8 after drinks?  And you have to eat your lunch with them?  When do you have a life?  The assistant is there 6 days a week?  Dude, it’s not worth it.

I'd do the hours, if the money was good. Of course, if Jeff was mean to me, I'd have to do something about it. My suspicion is that these people (cast or staff)  for the most part are hired for the show. And, they sign confidentiality agreements, plus, pretend to be really hurt or really shocked at Jeff's behavior, when they know full well what's on the script, I mean, agenda. The nanny and the housekeeper seem real.  And, I'm not even sure about Tyler.  Guess, I'm pretty suspicious. lol   I would be inclined to think that Jeff has them in one room due to his control issues, but, it's likely just easier for filming purposes. 

• Love 2

How many hours for how many days for how many weeks do they film the show?  Is the Bravo team there for 5 days a week for 8 hour days for x amount of weeks?  I'm guessing most of what we see is just a snippet of their real lives edited from what they film.  It isn't like a camera is installed and just runs for day/weeks, etc.  Scripted reality.  Not real life.  

• Love 1

the last time I watched the show, I didn't think Jenni was actually working.   she sat at the desk, watching the computer.  then they visited a worksite, and she carried a notebook but did not participate like she did in the early seasons.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

What house are Jeff and Gage living in now? It actually looked normal, with the darker kitchen cabinets and granite that you would buy at Home Depot and a plaid bedroom comforter instead of the modern, sterile design he prefers. Having children sure does change things. 

It’s the house he bought in the Hollywood Hills because he is flipping the house next door (the house that they were renting then bought and ripped down to the studs) and Jeff was worried that someone would buy it tear it down and block the view of the other property before he was finished. It’s completely not his style and he said they weren’t going to make any changes.

Glad Monroe is over her colic/acid reflux issues. I thought it was adorable when she and Jeff were watching tv and she turned to wave at the crew.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

What it has done, probably by design, is cause us to watch.  Well, me anyway.

Me too.  I haven't watched this show in years but reading about their feud peaked my interest.  Last time I watched Jenni had just split up with her first (?) husband.  He worked for Jeff doing odd jobs badly.  Anyway I digress, but I'm here for now.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, sadie said:

I used to love this show but it’s just getting tiresome. I think at this point just a design show for Jeff would be most enjoyable. His “I’m the king and I mistreat my people and isn’t it funny” shict is getting old and frankly isn’t amusing anymore. 

He and Frankel ought to do a show...Designer Death Match.  

5 hours ago, scenicbyway said:

you have to eat your lunch with them?

I worked one place in my life where lunch on-site with coworkers was mandatory.  Hated it.  A mid-day escape is sometimes essential to sanity.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

Zack Morris... err Mark Paul Gosselaar.

Thanks! I said last night Jason Priestly so not to far off.

I don’t think he looked that different but thought Gage was hot last night. 

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, Bossa Nova said:

Take note:

Jeff Lewis not on Watch What Happens Live this week at all as would be the norm to promote the new season.

Troubling. Not good. 

https://realityblurb.com/2018/09/12/bravo-execs-are-upset-with-jeff-lewis-over-photo-of-flipping-out-co-star-jenni-pulos-his-wwhl-appearance-gets-cancelled/

According to this article Bravo is really pissed at him for opening his mouth about Jenni and cancelled his appearance on WWHL.

18 minutes ago, SevenCostanza said:

https://realityblurb.com/2018/09/12/bravo-execs-are-upset-with-jeff-lewis-over-photo-of-flipping-out-co-star-jenni-pulos-his-wwhl-appearance-gets-cancelled/

According to this article Bravo is really pissed at him for opening his mouth about Jenni and cancelled his appearance on WWHL.

Now see, I would have done just the opposite.  I would have had him there, opened the phone lines to any and all comers, and let him sit there on a rotisserie, and get pummeled.  Missed opportunity "Bravo execs."

• Love 4
10 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Thanks! I said last night Jason Priestly so not to far off.

I don’t think he looked that different but thought Gage was hot last night. 

I always mix up Mark Paul Gosselaar and Dawson, James Van der Beek.

My husband calls Mark Paul Gosselaar Chad Michaels Michaels, which is a play on Chad Michael Murray, from Blades of Glory.  

Anyways, back to Jeff.  I am still a huge fan.  I also love Jenni, and I hate to have to take sides.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SevenCostanza said:

This makes me like Jeff more.  Maybe, he was in the wrong with Jenni, time will tell, but, I don't have much respect for Bravo, so, there's that. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 2
22 hours ago, bichonblitz said:

Hollywood Hills I believe - they were there the entire last season as well.  Zoila stormed out of that house!

21 hours ago, Irritable said:

I’m actually not mad at all that Jenni’s job as Jeff’s assistant has been presented as though it was same as usual, but behind the scenes she’s paid by Bravo to just be there as part of the show. Of course she doesn’t need that job anymore, but she’s a huge, original part of the series, so to keep her around for filming she was made an offer to play her previous role.  It’s a pretty sweet gig, it puts more money in her bank account, and it keeps the foundation of the cast together. Of course they wouldn’t mention on the show that situation because it breaks the 4th wall too much, and would alter the viewers’ enjoyment. Also, Jenni has more personality on camera than the rest of the staff, who we mostly see silently sitting or standing near Jeff looking awkward and uncomfortable.

i wonder if this has anything to do with the complaint she filed against Jeff. It’s possible that because he’s not the one paying her anymore that she became unwilling to put up with his meltdowns toward her. If she threatened to leave because he’s not actually her boss, that would only make his temper flare more, and I can see that leading to disaster between them.

Spoiler

Per Jeff's radio show... We will see the moment on the show when everything goes downhill fast.  He gave her unsolicited career advice that she didn't appreciate.  She blamed Jeff for never being able to break into being a famous actress and getting real movie and tv gigs.  So he offered to bring her own the show as a friend only (meet up for lunch.. play dates...) since she wasn't really working for him and that would free up her time to go on auditions and stuff that she claimed she was missing by doing Jeff's show.  He honestly felt like his show would fail without Jenny so he never wanted to see her leave completely.  Somehow she got really offended by that.  Honestly the whole lawsuit thing is just WEIRD. 

17 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

How many hours for how many days for how many weeks do they film the show?  Is the Bravo team there for 5 days a week for 8 hour days for x amount of weeks?  I'm guessing most of what we see is just a snippet of their real lives edited from what they film.  It isn't like a camera is installed and just runs for day/weeks, etc.  Scripted reality.  Not real life.  

I've been curious of this as well because he does his radio show every Friday morning (8 am for them) but in August they let him do it 3 days a week and he said he loved it and would love to do that many shows all the time.  Made me wonder how he would have time to do the radio show and all his projects but I guess the radio show is maybe 1.5-2 hours out of his day tops. 

3 hours ago, SevenCostanza said:

Bravo is SO STUPID. They think all of us viewers are idiots and don't understand that most reality shows are fake.  The Housewives can't even talk shit about each other or they get fined by Bravo. It's just DUMB.  Viewers tend to love it when the 4th wall is broken.  If they cancel his show after this season and Andy drops his radio show they are both complete MORONS.

• Love 4

I have always assumed there was a lot of “stretching of the truth” on reality shows, but for me, since we know for sure that Jennie has been faking it for years there is really no point in watching this show any more.  All those times she was holding the clip board and acting like she was really into the process is funny now. She was probably making shopping lists etc and just waiting for the scene to finish. Jeff said recently that she come to film and then left. I think this show is done.

• Love 1

Conspiracy theory alert: I think Jeff mercy-killed the show. I don't know if the whole "Jenni reported him for harassment" thing was fake, or if that really happened and he just decided to talk about it and spill the beans about her not really working for Jeff Lewis Design, but I think the show was on its last legs anyway. Now when it gets cancelled, he can say, "Yeah, I pissed Bravo off and they cancelled the show/they don't want to make the show without Jenni so it's over" instead of "I haven't really changed or grown in over 11 years, despite having a long-term partner and becoming a parent, so my life isn't interesting anymore." 

I am trying to think of a personality-driven (as opposed to competition) reality show that's lasted this long. Are there many? Keeping up with the Kardashians I guess, but it has a really large "cast" to drive the storyline. 

On 9/13/2018 at 7:20 AM, heatherchandler said:

I always mix up Mark Paul Gosselaar and Dawson, James Van der Beek.

They've made jokes about being the same person before on SM and in interviews.  When James guested on Franklin & Bash as Mark's ex-girlfriend's fiance I'm pretty sure they made jokes on the show about her having a type and I kind of remember a running gag that episode based on them looking the same.  There might have been jokes on Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 about them looking alike too, but I can't remember, but Mark guested on an episode about a Dawson's Creek reunion and was part of an intervention for James.  I'm not actually a huge fan either, I just have useless knowledge filling my head and taking up the space where important things could go.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Speechie said:

I have always assumed there was a lot of “stretching of the truth” on reality shows, but for me, since we know for sure that Jennie has been faking it for years there is really no point in watching this show any more.  All those times she was holding the clip board and acting like she was really into the process is funny now. She was probably making shopping lists etc and just waiting for the scene to finish. Jeff said recently that she come to film and then left. I think this show is done.

See I don't necessarily see Jennie's role this way. While she may not have been in the office daily dealing with the projects as they meander along, she has certainly been there enough and worked with Jeff enough that she wasn't "faking" her role. She knows how the projects work, who the players are, what kinds of issues can come up, etc. It would be like someone who worked at a place coming back in for the day. Certainly you might not be able to speak knowledgeably on everything, but you could certainly participate and "work" instead of simply "faking" it the way a person would who had no knowledge or experience.

• Love 7
12 hours ago, Princess Kelbop said:

I am trying to think of a personality-driven (as opposed to competition) reality show that's lasted this long. Are there many?

The "Housewives" shows? I think Orange County was the first, but I only watch NJ & BH.

Jeff was fine with suppressing the truth about Jenni until he wasn't.

His "honesty" in this case is not refreshing because of the ulterior motive(s).

Bravo is mad because their lies were exposed.

Losers all.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:40 AM, artisto said:

Jeff was fine with suppressing the truth about Jenni until he wasn't.

His "honesty" in this case is not refreshing because of the ulterior motive(s).

Bravo is mad because their lies were exposed.

Losers all.

I think the show was icing on the cake and he could justify the pretense until the lie could affect his real business.  He came clean because it was all about to unravel.  I give him credit but not THAT much. 

Andy said on his show that he was not mad at Jeff. He also said Jeff would be on WWHL this week as scheduled. He said Jeff was just being dramatic in assuming FO would be canceled. 

Jeff has always been pretty honest about the stretching of reality for the show. He said he will keep people around longer so they could still get paid by the show even though he doesn’t need them for JLD. I think Cat is just there during filming. So, like Jenni in the later seasons, she shows up on filming days and Bravo pays her.