Type keyword(s) to search

Atypical - General Discussion

Lisin
  • Start Topic

On 11/8/2019 at 7:58 AM, mledawn said:

LOL well, at two of my schools (college), they were so desperate for note takers, that wasn't a requirement. 

In my school you could take notes in a class you were currently taking if you had a strong academic record.   I have a friend would would go by the services office as soon as classes started just to see if any of her classes needed note takers.  I'm dyslexic but didn't use note taking services.  But I also didn't sign up to take notes because I doubted they'd be up to snuff.

Has a fourth season been announced yet? If there is another season I think Casey will cheat on Izzie with her track coach. Only it will probably turn out to be a #metoo situation. The coach might be trying to separate Casey from the rest of her life so she can control her.

I also expect Zahid and Abby to get together. She'll probably have to take the lead since he's likely gun shy now due to Gretchen. Ugh, I know there are people like Gretchen IRL but how does she get by without getting punched regularly?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

If there is another season I think Casey will cheat on Izzie with her track coach. Only it will probably turn out to be a #metoo situation. The coach might be trying to separate Casey from the rest of her life so she can control her

That's an interesting take on the situation, but I think the coach being lesbian might be a little too stereotypical a way to go in this woke society.  

I sure hope there's another season, I like this show.

I agree about Zahid and Abby, there were definitely some vibes flying there.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, amass said:
On 10/14/2018 at 6:55 PM, debraran said:

The average in CT where ....they live on TV is 40,000. 

They’re in Denton, TX

Denton is the name of the fictional college. They live in the Northeast, or more specifically New England--not sure exactly where, but I think there have been a couple of references to driving to Boston or other places in New England.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 11/7/2019 at 5:51 AM, mledawn said:

I'm sad about Casey and Evan because they obviously cared for each other very much. They seemed to carry each other's emotional weight well. Evan was good at the interpersonal stuff, and Casey was helping with the "find your way in life" stuff.

Me too! Just finally finished watching this and it was such a heartbreaker with them. I love the actress playing Casey - she is the star of this show for me, especially this season. I find it especially hard bc Evan is so sweet and Izzy is a mess, and Casey knows this. Overall, I think they handled this situation pretty realistically. I am glad it wasn’t an easy decision for Casey. I liked that she didn’t want to be a cheater like her mom, and I liked her conversation with Evan at the end. It makes me hope they will stay friends bc they do need each other. 

I really hope Netflix gives this show another season. It has so much heart that is missing from most of their original shows. I would love to see what happens with Casey and explore more of Elsa’s relationship with her mom and reconnecting with Doug, and I think we all need to see Sam and Zahid’s apartment.....

• Love 8

I just finished binge-watching all seasons, and I truly enjoyed and appreciated this series. As a teacher, I "get it", and although Sam is a good rep for Aspergers, I hope parents don't expect their child to communicate or excel as well as Sam does. It is as though someone researched every possible 'symptom' (for lack of a better word) of Aspergers and incorporated an aspect of each symptom into Sam's character. Yes, it makes him relatable BUT, unrealistically so.

Perhaps this is merely my jealousy as a parent peeking through as both my husband and I are university educated, yet NOT ONE of our four children opted for a university degree route (or even trade certification). This is despite offers of free room & board during schooling, further financing if in another state, offers of tutors if they were to struggle, etc. Two of them scored exceptionally high, with the other two still receiving university-acceptable SAT scores.

I give up - this is either rebellion against two educated parents OR they're young adults bristling against the demands that all Gen X and millennials NEED a degree/certification to be employed in any capacity.

Big, self-pitying sight, ha. (I know, if only the world had such self-centred problems...)

Edited by Chalby
made paragraphs for easier reading
  • Love 2
On 11/29/2019 at 1:21 AM, Chalby said:

I hope parents don't expect their child to communicate or excel as well as Sam does.

Every person with autism is different, and an individual.  That said, I'm surprised at how social Sam is at times.

• Love 1

I just binged this entire show.  I really enjoyed it.  I can't help but compare it to Sex Education which gets way more ink.  But I liked this tons more than Sex Education.  I think the writing is smarter, the dialogue sounds incredibly natural and the casting is superb.

I like the Gardner family.  All of them in different ways.  Casey is my favorite I enjoy how she is written, how she interacts with her family especially Sam. The show gets sibling stuff down.  I like that second and third season eased up a bit on Casey being portrayed as the also ran child who also has some responsibility for looking after her brother.  I liked the Casey/Sam dynamic very much in Seasons 2 and 3.

I wasn't thrilled about Elsa in season 1.  I honestly did not like her, but by the time S3 came along I was a mad fan of Elsa.  I especially like how both she and Doug seemed to adopt and become involved in the well being of Sam and Casey's friends.

As for the non-Gardener's I love Paige.  She is terrible. She is awesome.  And I give all the credit to the actress.  She commits to Paige and make her bearable.  I can't imagine anyone else making me like Paige. 

I ended up liking Evan way more than I thought I would in season 1.  I root for that kid so hard.

Almost to the person I like all the personalities:  Zahid  of course is great and Abby was fantastic addition in S3.  Even Gretchen was a riot.

My only cons are:  I was not an Izzie fan.  I could not bring myself to like her no matter how hard I wanted to. 

My husband ( a life long track and field athlete) who only watched occasionally had a harsh criticism of the Casey being sprinter.  According to him, she has a classic distance runner or cross country build.  But she is not built as a sprinter at all.  His commentary was brutal and funny.  LOL.

Casey needed as actual friend.  Not just a love interest who was a friend but a Zahid level friend.  Too bad they only trotted on Charice to be the poster child for the black best friend for a couple of episodes to give her advice only to disappear. 

• Love 3
On 7/7/2020 at 9:23 PM, DearEvette said:

I just binged this entire show.  I really enjoyed it.  I can't help but compare it to Sex Education which gets way more ink.  But I liked this tons more than Sex Education.  I think the writing is smarter, the dialogue sounds incredibly natural and the casting is superb.

I like the Gardner family.  All of them in different ways.  Casey is my favorite I enjoy how she is written, how she interacts with her family especially Sam. The show gets sibling stuff down.  I like that second and third season eased up a bit on Casey being portrayed as the also ran child who also has some responsibility for looking after her brother.  I liked the Casey/Sam dynamic very much in Seasons 2 and 3.

I wasn't thrilled about Elsa in season 1.  I honestly did not like her, but by the time S3 came along I was a mad fan of Elsa.  I especially like how both she and Doug seemed to adopt and become involved in the well being of Sam and Casey's friends.

As for the non-Gardener's I love Paige.  She is terrible. She is awesome.  And I give all the credit to the actress.  She commits to Paige and make her bearable.  I can't imagine anyone else making me like Paige. 

I ended up liking Evan way more than I thought I would in season 1.  I root for that kid so hard.

Almost to the person I like all the personalities:  Zahid  of course is great and Abby was fantastic addition in S3.  Even Gretchen was a riot.

My only cons are:  I was not an Izzie fan.  I could not bring myself to like her no matter how hard I wanted to. 

My husband ( a life long track and field athlete) who only watched occasionally had a harsh criticism of the Casey being sprinter.  According to him, she has a classic distance runner or cross country build.  But she is not built as a sprinter at all.  His commentary was brutal and funny.  LOL.

Casey needed as actual friend.  Not just a love interest who was a friend but a Zahid level friend.  Too bad they only trotted on Charice to be the poster child for the black best friend for a couple of episodes to give her advice only to disappear. 

Have loved all 3 episodes. Hubby watched with me last night the last 3 episodes. During the race  his 1st comment it was no way that girl is a sprinter she is a middle to long distance runner.

Binged all three seasons and overall really love the show. It’s a lot to unwrap having watched all three seasons in a week - but I want to implore the show for next season... put Casey in track spikes when you show her at meets! JEEZ! No sprinter would run in regular running shoes - especially at a meet. And while you’re at it, get some training in how to pass a relay baton and how to start off a block. We are meant to believe that Casey is competitive enough to try for UCLA and the team is good enough to actually recruit players, yet they put sprinters in running shoes, don’t know how to start off a running block and have no clue how to pass a baton. Small details matter!

I'm looking forward to new and last season. I will miss the family.

Does anyone think Evan's dyslexia will cause issues since he is hiding it from Doug? I read about paramedics who were dyslexic but had to train differently and they were upfront about it. I hope we don't see an error with numbers because he confused something.

(edited)

First episode solution. Sam needs some noise cancelling headphones.

I don't understand why Sam has to go to Antarctica when he can easily go to Cape Town South Africa and assist with the penguins there. 

Edited by greekmom
  • Love 2
(edited)

Half way through. I agree with Doug. Izzie is far too much drama. I think I’m not supposed to agree with Doug though? I’m supposed to like Izzie?

ooh update. Izzie pretends to be big person and breaks up with Casey but then proceeds to tell what Doug said to her this kind of undercutting the breakup. Pick a lane Izzie.

Also. If I unnecessarily chopped through a nice wooden door with an axe my parents would kick my ass! Doors aren’t cheap and now they have to replace it. She should have been in so much trouble and no half hearted “no Casey stop.” Either! Jeez that was dumb.  

Edited by MissL
Still watching
  • Love 2

Finished the first couple of episodes in the new season. I just don't care about Casey and her girlfriend, that part of the story bores me. I hope that isn't the main focus of the show.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, khyber said:

Finished the first couple of episodes in the new season. I just don't care about Casey and her girlfriend, that part of the story bores me. I hope that isn't the main focus of the show.

Same here.  I adore this show and in past seasons, would watch the entirety of episodes in one sitting.  This season?  Not so much.  Watched a couple of episodes a few days ago and then proceeded to forget about it. I keep reminding myself to get back to it.  But then I don't. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Cementhead said:

Same here.  I adore this show and in past seasons, would watch the entirety of episodes in one sitting.  This season?  Not so much.  Watched a couple of episodes a few days ago and then proceeded to forget about it. I keep reminding myself to get back to it.  But then I don't. 

I haven't started past the first episode but I know what you mean. I hope I feel differently but I was like that with The Durell's in Corfu, I loved it but by the last season, it petered out. I love this family and I hope as I watch it the cohesiveness is still there. Some of it is the Covid delays, so much time passes, you lose the connection. Some shows with less characters are easier. I can just pick up Kominsky Method and watch it all in 2 days. Short and sweet.

• Love 1

Finished it. For those wondering, Casey is more of the focus this season. 

It wasn't bad but at the level of previous seasons. It also contained way more unrealistic scenarios that seemingly get wrapped up in no time. The whole thing felt kinda rushed, yet still slow.

Either way it was a nice show, glad I watched it but it ended when it should.

• Love 5
On 7/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, greekmom said:

I don't understand why Sam has to go to Antarctica when he can easily go to Cape Town South Africa and assist with the penguins there. 

For that matter, he can go to the zoo and see the penguins there, maybe even try to get a job there.  But he wants to go to Antarctica, and has since he was young, so that's what he wants to do.

• Love 2

This season was ok, but nowhere near as good as the previous three. I really liked Casey and Evan together, so I obviously didn't like that they didn't get back together or how little screen time he had. There was too much Zahid - he's a great character, but works much better in small doses.  Didn't like what they did with Paige either. And the Antarctica story line was far fetched.

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

This season was ok, but nowhere near as good as the previous three. I really liked Casey and Evan together, so I obviously didn't like that they didn't get back together or how little screen time he had. There was too much Zahid - he's a great character, but works much better in small doses.  Didn't like what they did with Paige either. And the Antarctica story line was far fetched.

I didn't mind Casey and Evan not being together but even as friends, they didn't speak very much. I didn't know why Evan's dyslexia was brought up last season without any followup? When Casey said she had his secret too, you don't keep secrets about that with medical issues. EMT's have overcome being dyslexic but not by hiding it. It can be dangerous if he makes an error. They let that fall flat.  It didn't seem to be cohesive this season, like they didn't know how to end things, so Antarctica became the focus, the most unbelievable scenario but I'm glad he got to go. Past seasons had great interactions with Doug's marriage and fallout, Casey finding out who she is and what she wants, Sam finding his path, etc. It just seemed rushed this season with sprinkling of everyone else, no real surprises.

I'm glad it ended on a high note but miss what it could have been. I loved this family, very real.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 3
On 7/20/2021 at 2:16 AM, debraran said:

I didn't mind Casey and Evan not being together but even as friends, they didn't speak very much. I didn't know why Evan's dyslexia was brought up last season without any followup? When Casey said she had his secret too, you don't keep secrets about that with medical issues. EMT's have overcome being dyslexic but not by hiding it. It can be dangerous if he makes an error. They let that fall flat.  It didn't seem to be cohesive this season, like they didn't know how to end things, so Antarctica became the focus, the most unbelievable scenario but I'm glad he got to go. Past seasons had great interactions with Doug's marriage and fallout, Casey finding out who she is and what she wants, Sam finding his path, etc. It just seemed rushed this season with sprinkling of everyone else, no real surprises.

I'm glad it ended on a high note but miss what it could have been. I loved this family, very real.

I don't remember exactly what the video was, but the text she sent Evan about his "secret" had some sort of video attached of Evan as a little boy dressed up as something. I believe that's what she was ribbing him about, not his dyslexia. 

• Love 2
8 hours ago, CaliforniaLove said:

I don't remember exactly what the video was, but the text she sent Evan about his "secret" had some sort of video attached of Evan as a little boy dressed up as something. I believe that's what she was ribbing him about, not his dyslexia. 

Yes, I didn't know what that was but she was keeping it a secret from her dad. I never saw a conversation about it. I thought it might have been a learning moment but I guess they dropped it for other things. He can become an EMT with it but it should always be known. There are a lot of learning techniques they can help with.

On 7/21/2021 at 3:07 PM, debraran said:

Yes, I didn't know what that was but she was keeping it a secret from her dad. I never saw a conversation about it. I thought it might have been a learning moment but I guess they dropped it for other things. He can become an EMT with it but it should always be known. There are a lot of learning techniques they can help with.

The video had nothing to do with his dyslexia. It was a commercial for a karate studio that they showed in a previous season - his mom was dating the owner at the time, so he got free lessons and got to be in the commercial.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

The video had nothing to do with his dyslexia. It was a commercial for a karate studio that they showed in a previous season - his mom was dating the owner at the time, so he got free lessons and got to be in the commercial.

Oh I know that, I wasn't clear, I wasn't sure about karate, didn't go back to check video.  I just meant she was keeping his dyslexia a secret too. It really shouldn't be a secret or something to be ashamed of.

• Love 1

Binge watched past couple days...am in season 4 now. Liked 1st 2 seasons but the show kind of seemed to get stuck like a skipping record. Or like paddling up stream and getting nowhere. But I guess I will finish it. Just not a must do to watch anymore. 1st 12 episodes had me enthralled and crying on the sofa. Not so much since. Kind of unrealistic at times and boring.

I wish Jennifer Jason Leigh would stop with the botox or whatever. It is very distracting. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Lamima said:

Binge watched past couple days...am in season 4 now. Liked 1st 2 seasons but the show kind of seemed to get stuck like a skipping record. Or like paddling up stream and getting nowhere. But I guess I will finish it.

I agree the show went downhill a bit as it went on.  But I think that kind of bogged down feeling can be a result of binge watching several seasons at once.  You can burn yourself out on it.  I watched every season as it came out, and that helped keep things fresh.

• Love 2

It took me a long time to finish this season. I ended up getting through it by fast-forwarding through most of the Sam scenes.

I hated the way he suddenly insisted that he had to go to Antarctica immediately, and expected people to just hand him money for it, and demanded that they help him prepare.

There were a million reasons why someone with very special needs, who had never been anywhere on his own, shouldn't be going on a grueling trip to Antarctica where he'd apparently be camping on the ice and roughing it. But anyone who wasn't completely on board was treated as some sort of monster.

I watched mostly for the Casey scenes, because I really wanted to see how the show would handle her relationship with Izzy. They'd teased us with it for so long, and I think the actresses have great chemistry. 

The results were very mixed, I would say. It seemed like both Casey and Izzy were both actively trying to sabotage their relationship every chance they got. But I was glad that they ended the season together.

• Love 2

All in all a good show, BUT... couldn't they have done at least a smidge of research on what it takes to go to Antarctica? Some of the terms they used in conjunction with Sam's Antarctic dreams don't go together: "study abroad" and "find a place to stay" brought actual guffaws.

The program Sam was going to use to travel to Antarctica is loosely based on the NSF's Artists and Writers Program. But it's not "study abroad;" professional artists/writers/musicians come up with detailed proposals, and have to "make the cut" several times before a very few are chosen. My wife was one of those artists, and she WAS chosen; she was one of TWO that year. And later (three times) she served on the committee to choose participants.

And you don't "find a place to stay" in Antarctica. There are no hotels, no hostels, no bed-and-breakfasts... there are research stations. That's it. You don't book a room, you are assigned one of the stations (in the USA, that would be Palmer Station and the much larger McMurdo Station.) These are government facilities with very strict rules and regulations; it's very much like being on the International Space Station. (Especially Palmer, which has room for about 47 people, and no more.)

I liked the show. I liked most of the characters, and generally liked the actors portraying them. I thought it was a nice look into a life that most of us never experience, and I got the feeling that it was very realistic. And then they started the Sam Wants to Go to Antarctica storyline, and the realism dissolved. And it didn't have to; there are other places where penguins can more easily be observed and studied...

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, Lakebum said:

And then they started the Sam Wants to Go to Antarctica storyline, and the realism dissolved. 

Yeah, something bugged me about the whole Sam Wants to Go to Antarctica bit throughout, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  You did a good job of explaining it.  I understand that they were going for a message of pursue your dreams, no matter what.  I just didn't like Sam's attitude of "I have to go to Antarctica, NOW!". 

And you talk about spots in these programs being very rare, but in this case they also have to take Sam's dad along?  What purpose is he going to serve?  Maybe they could use an errand boy on the research team.

• Love 3

Late to watching the last season, but I agree about the ridiculousness of the Antartica trip. Once the program trip got cancelled, I hoped things would get recalibrated, but they doubled down on it instead. Having the dad tag along made it even worse. 

The cancellation was announced a long time before the filming of the 4th season so the whole ending is pretty disappointing.

As for some good things, I thought the last conversation with Sam and Paige was lovely and was glad to see Casey keep her dream.

• Love 2

I just found this & watched the first few episodes. Is JJL considered to be a good actress? Because I can’t stand her in anything. Michael Rappaport is showing his versatility by not being unlikeable  this one! Hating Elsa though. Just like in Speechless, the mom neglects the other child a lot. What’s with the cheating? Doesn’t seem like she is unhappy in her marriage. 
I think I’ll stick with it. 

• Like 1
On 9/15/2022 at 6:15 AM, chediavolo said:

Is JJL considered to be a good actress? Because I can’t stand her in anything. 

I don't know about the actress, but I didn't find her character to be very likable.  And from reading this forum, I'd say most people didn't.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
On 9/7/2021 at 4:23 PM, rmontro said:

Yeah, something bugged me about the whole Sam Wants to Go to Antarctica bit throughout, and I couldn't quite put my finger on it.  You did a good job of explaining it.  I understand that they were going for a message of pursue your dreams, no matter what.  I just didn't like Sam's attitude of "I have to go to Antarctica, NOW!". 

And you talk about spots in these programs being very rare, but in this case they also have to take Sam's dad along?  What purpose is he going to serve?  Maybe they could use an errand boy on the research team.

Yeah. Way to coddle and spoil your child(ren). I hated the family dynamic in this show. And how in the hell did they afford that home in CT? On a one person paramedic salary? Needed more background on the wife’s mother also. 
Terrible final season, I kept dozing off.I’m with the dad on the girlfriend. I don’t like her either. Hated Elsa. She is lucky to have such an understanding husband. She acted like she expected to be forgiven quickly for screwing another man. Really did not seem that broken up about it. 

Edited by chediavolo
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, chediavolo said:

Hated Elsa. She is lucky to have such an understanding husband. She acted like she expected to be forgiven quickly for screwing another man. Really did not seem that broken up about it. 

I agree with that.  Her attitude about her infidelity seemed to be "What?  Are you still upset about that?  Why are you making that a big deal?".

• Love 1