Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E17: Live Semi Finals 1 (Tuesday's Show)

• Start Topic

• Opening montage of Heidi screaming. We're off to a good start.
  • Did they forget to dry Tyra's hair?
  • Took me four lines to figure out what song Amanda Mena was singing. Interesting take on it; I'll give her that. (Meanwhile, twelve people in the audience just had seizures.)
  • "It was a brave choice but" doesn't sound like a compliment.
  • Simon: "That was a massive achievement, trust me." (Because if I didn't want you here you wouldn't be.)
  • I will be nice and keep my thoughts on your dress to myself, Tyra.
  • How many concussions has that guy gotten practicing that headstand-flip thing? I got a headache just watching it!
  • "Must-see TV" ...like in that train wreck sorta way?
  • Hey, did you know that Us the Duo are having a baby!?!!?! ?(Really? Their bio package is just them singing the song they sang last week while looking at pictures?)
  • Yeah, yeah, everybody's got bills to pay. We get it.
  • Oh, we don't like originals anymore? Okay.
  • Again, can't hear the choir soloists with their own mics over the rest of 'em. (There were a few notes in there that make me think that's not entirely a bad thing.)
  • Their matching jumpsuits make me think they're in some kind of rainbow cult.
  • Um...stop rubbing your boobs, Tyra. It's not that kind of show.
  • [Commercial break: NBC and I have very different definitions of the word "extraordinary."]
  • Okay, Shin Lim, I won't whine anymore about slicing my fingertip while cutting a plum the other day. Ouch.
  • Is Heidi wearing a bathrobe?
  • I really want to get him a comb. And maybe a dab of gel or something.
  • No, Mel, your eyes aren't actually seeing what they're seeing. That's the whole point.
  • Oh, did somebody sing a song..? Sorry, I was making cinnamon toast.
  • They're not "baby girls"!!!
  • Howie: AGT is "so much more than singing"...are you sure?
  • Sea creatures in space? Sure, why not? (So long and thanks for all the fish.)
  • There was narration? Did I miss something?
  • I know Mel comes off a pretty dumb but does Howie really need to keep calling her dumb? It's not funny; it's just mean, and I don't even like her that much.
  • Duo Transcend's background is making me dizzy.
  • Wait...Is he wearing roller skates?
  • Okay, then. I'd be more impressed if we hadn't seen that act before (the brother/sister skaters... last year? the year before? I can't keep track).
  • Their kid's gonna rebel and be a stockbroker or something.
  • Samuel likes floral shirts, doesn't he?
  • Had to laugh at the siblings all two years apart...my great-grandparents had 8 kids, born every other year from 1902 - 1916 (my grandfather was #6 in 1912).
  • Okay, Michael Ketterer finally made me tear up (but not by singing).
  • I feel like an empty concrete pool is not the best place to practice throwing children...
  • Zurcaroh is the only act that actually held my attention throughout.
  • I feel like my snark list is extra long tonight...and I deleted several lines, too. Sorry.
11 minutes ago, Kermitthefrog99 said:

I noticed that Front Pictures is on the voting thing, They get brought back as a wild card? Even though I am watching I must have missed if it said they got brought back as wild card.

Yes, they were a wild card. They did an outer space/sea creatures thing. (Yeah, I don't know. It looked cool, though.)

5 minutes ago, EllenB said:

I haven't watched this season but I accidentally caught the last minute.  I have a question: what the heck is up with Tyra's eyebrows?  Oy!

I was so distracted by her eye shadow I didn't notice...

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 11
8 minutes ago, Diana Berry said:

question, how did they change into their roller skates so fast?

He was already wearing them; I noticed them when the camera angle moved to the side a bit. After he dropped her, he did a few more moves before dropping down himself, so she had time to get them on while the audience was still focused on him (and they didn't appear to have laces so I guess they go on pretty quickly).

• Love 3

My Favorites were front pictures and Shin Lim, I really really hope front pictures make it through tomorrow I was multitasking and only kinda saw their act so I also happened to also be recording it also so I went back and fast fowarded it and watched Front Pictures fully and I thought they were phonominal magical and amazing and I agree with Mel B I loved it also.

• Love 1

The Mister and I could only remember the Tourette comic, Shin Lim, the crazy ppl with the fire and Tyra’s GB (Zucaroh? Is that how you spell their name? ...too lazy to look up). All the rest were singers ... I agree with most on here abt singers should be on the Voice and AI. 

Interesting that Howie kinda called out Heidi’s GB ... 

Simon talked Amanda up about her accomplishment of getting this far because he knows it is unlikely she will go through to the finals.  Cute girl but she is up against the little Janis Joplin-ish singer who I think will make it.   I voted 10 times for the comic.  

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, ShellyD said:

The Mister and I could only remember the Tourette comic, Shin Lim, the crazy ppl with the fire and Tyra’s GB (Zucaroh? Is that how you spell their name? ...too lazy to look up). All the rest were singers ... I agree with most on here abt singers should be on the Voice and AI. 

Interesting that Howie kinda called out Heidi’s GB ... 

What is GB? 

Awful.   Too many (boring) singers.   The danger act "upped their game" by doing a roller skate spinning act.  Which we've seen before.  On this show.  In the last couple of seasons.  Oh, but they had fire!  I was glad to see the mixed media guys back because I thought they should have went through the last show.  But that was because that performance had lots of movement, energy, was interesting and told a story.  This performance...was none of those things.  Where the guy had to be coordinated to a fast-moving display last time, this time he just kinda floated there for 3 minutes.   Can we do a write in for Hans?

• Love 3

The comic is the only one from this group I liked.  I want to see him win.  He would have a good run in Vegas.  Who is going to see a large dance group, a chorale or just someone with a good voice sing.  There is so much more to making it as a singer than anyone I have seen here.  The young rocker is appealing though. 

This show always bores me.  I multi task as I watch, usually the next day.  Tonight was an exception. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

Sigh. I know how annoying its going to be when Shin Lim inevitably loses to some lame singer we'll never hear from again. 

47 minutes ago, sharifa70 said:

Shin Lim was the only one I kept re-watching, and my mouth still dropped open in amazement. He’s fantastic.

Here's a confession. I know how he did many of those tricks. 

And yet he's SO good, it hardly matters. It just replaces the amazement of the unknown with the amazement that someone could be that skilled. 

• Love 6

* Not more than ten words into the show and Tyra begins the Oprah Bellow. Moooooooooooo, you cow!

* I spit up a little vomit when Tyra sashayed onto the stage.

* Are Tyra's hips as huge as I think they are?

* Must say this every week: Oh Shaddup, Mel.

* Am I the only human in the world that doesn't think Shin Lim is "sexy"? (I'm a gay man, so I would know).

* Also, Lim's act is borrrrrrrring.

* I hope The Hallowed Pregnant One breaks water right on stage at the finals.

* Why do I go into such a negative space when I watch this show? It's Mel and Tyra that put me there, right? or is it Simon? The flashing lights?

* Front Picture: Is this a "man just floating around in front of computer graphics" competition?

* I always mute the stupid back stories. Also-- don't EVER tell me to "don't try this at home". I can if I want to, and I'll sue the show if something goes wrong.

* Samuel J. Comroe stepped it up, and he's hellishly sexy (I'm a gay man with Tourette's, so I would know).

* I'm saying it right here: Michael Ketterer is not sexy, he doesn't have Tourette's, he's not gay, and he has never made me cry. BUT-- he WILL win this show.

• Love 5
12 hours ago, ams1001 said:
  • I feel like my snark list is extra long tonight...and I deleted several lines, too. Sorry.

ME:  Don't you ever edit your snark list again. They're hilarious. Hey... somehow I ended up inside the quote bubble. It's so pretty in here!

Edited by Stompster
  • Love 8

Is it possible that Shin Lim could be competing for the save this week? There was something a little off about his pacing.  I've loved his previous appearances, but this time I found my attention waning. Two minor quibbles. When he pulls the cards out of his mouth I think about germs, and the hair stroking thing is getting silly. (But as a hetero man I guess I'm not the target for his sexiness).

But on his worst day he's still infinitely more enjoyable than any of the singers on this show. The kid choir was boring but annoys me less than Us the Duo, who are super boring, but will probably be in the finals because they are performing the incredible, unbelievable act of procreating. (All the fuss about their impending child reminds me of one of my favorite Onion headlines: "Miracle of birth happens for 10 billionth time.")

As for Amana Mena, little girls trying to sing like grown women creep me out. Please go back to American Idol.

1 hour ago, Stompster said:

* Front Picture: Is this a "man just floating around in front of computer graphics" competition?.

Apparently. Sorry guys, I am not filled with awe and wonder. I'm just bored. And this is one of those rare times I agree with Simon. The music was super annoying. I cannot believe that Front Picture and the Human Fountain got wild cards over the amazing father-daughter acrobats.

The husband-wife team are lovely to watch on the trapeze, but to me the fire contributed nothing, and was just done to appease Simon. Didn't need the roller skating either. (It was not as good as the brother-sister roller skating act from last year). But they did get the memo about sob stories and are amping up the use of their two year old to get votes.

Why does Samuel J. Comroe seem to always be on and off in a flash? It felt like he was by far the shortest act of the night. It's almost like they want him voted though to the finals but are concerned that he can't sustain his act for more than a minute.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 4

YESSS! THE SHOW IS ALMOST OV...I MEAN YAY SEMI-FINALS..yay

11. Makayla Phillips. How is it that the guy who was championing giant gnomes and a dude butchering tracks from the Titanic with his fake flute broom is now the only remaining voice of reason on the show? Howie pretty much said everything there needed to be said. I listened to her performance again just 10 minutes ago to get ready to write this and I've already forgotten what song she was singing so either that fall from the ladder when I was 5 years old is starting to catch up with me or it really all was that forgettable. 

10: Amanda Mena. Nice song choice. And that's about all I have to say about her so I'll just mention that the Christmas light ornament the prop department had found for her was blinking VERY nicely and made me go "OOH" once or twice. Maybe even "AAH".

9: Voices of Hope Children’s Choir. I'm guessing they spent the last few weeks watching musicals other than The Greatest Showman and thus ran out of time to rehearse, because I thought they sounded pretty underwhelming this time. And the sound department playing Tic Tac Toe behind the scenes instead of actually doing their job didn't help much.

8: Front Pictures. Thist was a huge step backward for the act. They fell into the same trap every other multimedia act seems to where they let the effects take over the whole act. Last time they had found the perfect way to balance the effects with the movement and it all blended together nicely. This time it was like they themselves were just marveling at the effects they had created and hoped the audience would be bedazzled by giant CGI turtles flying around. First of all, only Hans can bedazzle. And secondly I've seen Finding Nemo too many times for that. We are way past it now.

7: Michael Ketterer.. It's just all about the story with this one, the judges can't be bothered to talk about anything other than his job. And while he's earned himself a lifetime supply of free "World's greatest dad" mugs, I'm just waiting for his singing to catch up with the rest of his story and so far...it really hasn't for me. I WANT to like him more, but I'm just not seeing anything interesting here if you look past the story. 

6: Junior New System. These boots were made for dancing and that's just what they'll do...until they start to itch too bad and have to be thrown off the stage at anyone unlucky enough to be sitting in the front row. I actually found some of their moves genuinely impressive and the energy was high enough that I didn't get bored during the act. But the whole sassy, high heeled "WORK IT, HANAI" gimmick has officially taken them as far as they can go right now. 

5: Us the Duo.  It's time to give in and join the masses by embracing the sweet sweet melodies of latte macchiato and frappuccino establishments all over the world. I like the songs they sing, I like how they sound together and I think they come across as pretty genuine in the middle of all the Brady bunch cheesiness. I just really like cheese, okay? DON'T JUDGE ME! 

4: Duo Transcend. I have been pretty dismissing of these two in the past, but I'll give them props...just when I was beginning to think they had run out of anything to show us, they quick changed into Billy & Emily. Sure, quick changing into Artyon & Paige or the dogs from Pompeyo would have been more impressive, but at least this was a start. They managed to overcome the obstacle so many of these acts run into by genuinely switching gears and showing us something new, Unfortunately for them, it's something we've seen before from other acts...but at least it proves they have range and I wouldn't mind seeing them go on to the top 10.

3: Samuel J. Comroe. Was PROPAH BELLEH LAFFIN at quite a few spots so in my eyes it was his best set so far! He continues to be likable and amusing in general too so no real complaints from me...

2: Zurcaroh. All the best (and watchable) bits of the Olympic Opening ceremonies now in a neat package. At this point they are better than half the guest performers we get on the show and each time we see them, it's a completely different motif that's well thought out, creative and ultimately just impressive to watch. Someone hand me a hat so I can take it off right now. 

1: Shin Lim. There are videos online of people claiming Shin is a devil worshiping dark wizard who harnesses black magic from hell. I am inclined to agree with them since nothing else could explain that HAIR! GOOD LORD, MAN, Is it EVER not perfect? Even Aaron Crow must be swooning. The tricks were good too. It's one of his most known routines so I knew where everything was headed, but it remains one of the most impressive magic tricks I've ever seen. 

Zurcaroh, Michael Ketterer and Shin Lim seem like a pretty safe top 3. If there's any justice in the world, Samuel will join them from the Dunkin save. I actually think Duo Transcend have a decent shot of making it there after the massive praise from the judges and the general enthusiasm I've seen on social media. If not, hoping Us The Duo will take the spot, though it could also be Amanda or Junior New System. Overall my predictions would look something like this:

11. Front Pictures
10. Makayla Phillips
9. Voices of Hope Children’s Choir
8. Junior New System
7. Amanda Mena
6. Us The Duo (lose judge's choice)
5. Duo Transcend (win judge's choice)
4. Samuel J. Comroe (Dunkin save)
3. Michael Ketterer
2. Zurcaroh
1. Shin Lim

I've already accepted that Michael is going through, but if he's at least joined by Shin, Samuel, Zurcaroh and either of the Duo's, then I can count the results as a success overall. 

Edited by Frankenstein123
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, Kromm said:

And yet he's SO good, it hardly matters. It just replaces the amazement of the unknown with the amazement that someone could be that skilled. 

That sums it up perfectly for me.  As one who usually likes spoilers, in this case, I don't want to know how he does what he does!  I'm tempted to Google it, but I'm enjoying that bit of "amazement" and thinking for a moment that it's really magic!  If he doesn't make it through, then I might look into the truth behind the magic. 

I need to look up the illusionist who kept disappearing and reappearing (with the motorcycle one time) and see what the secrets were to his act.  I don't know how they do those things so fast!  

• Love 2

Mel was right <excuse me while I recover from my faint of astonishment> -- That children's choir was off the beat or something. Anyway, the rhythm was off and it felt sloppy. (I never felt that way about them before, so I was surprised).

Maybe the sound production had something to do with it because wow, did that stink last night. I'm always amazed that they can't get the best sound people in the business on these shows (American Idol and other reality shows have this issue too). Are they all working for big name touring bands or something?

• Love 4

Forgive me in advance if I'm a little rude. I'm sick with a sore throat (I am hoping that it's not strep) and a tad irritable today. I'm going by what I saw, because I did zone out off and on during the show...probably due to my immune system fighting this illness. Sorry for my sob story, ya'll.

Amanda Mena - She definitely took a chance with the song "Happy." She does have a great voice. The judges seem meh on her, based on their comments. I do feel that she needs to work on standing out, or something of the sort. Something just seems to be lacking with her. I can't quite put my finger on it. 

Junior New System - That was their best performance to date. Howie with his, "See what happens when you listen to me?" Oh, shut the eff up, man. By the way, wasn't it some weeks ago when you told Angel that he sung a song that was too mature for him, but gave the golden buzzer to a 13-14 year old that sang a song about a guy having to "come home with her" and "light her candle"? You lack consistency. JNS switches their shtick and now Howie's some genius guru. Give me a break. 

Us the Duo/Trio - In case you didn't know, or have forgotten, this duo, and the AGT gods will remind you - they're having a baby. They must be the first couple ever to have a baby. Hrm. Maybe we should try to figure out how the millions of people are here on earth got here, plus the billions and came before. There's bills to pay, but it's okay, they have their love. I'm single, so I'll guess I'll focus on my 7:30a-4:30p so I can pay my bills. I wonder if they'll have their baby between now and the finals (if they go through) so that will be their grand finale, along with a celebratory song. Not to be mean.

Shin Lim - Still one of my favourites. I love his presentation, his presence. And on a shallow note, I don't find him bad to look at either. Yes, it's all illusion, and I could go on YouTube to find out how he does what he does, but hey, I still enjoy him.

Makayla Philllips - Cute girl, but all I remember is that she's Heidi's Golden Buzzer. I don't remember much of her performance, and I dozed off during the end of her song and the judges comments (I missed what Howie said, which had come up on this board. I'm a little curious about it now).

Front Pictures - I was actually sleeping during their performance. Judging by the comments, it seems that I had not missed much. 

Duo Transcend - I woke up in the middle of their act. I remember seeing fire and a pair on roller skates spinning, and my initial thought was: "Are the England's performing an intermission or something?" Then the guy kisses the woman and I thought, "Oh god, I certainly HOPE that it's not them!" (they were good, but I was not comfortable watching them) But then I learned that it's Duo Transcend, and I breathed a sigh of relief. I guess I was taken aback since I've been so used to them being on the trapeze during the whole of their act. I give them credit for changing of their act, but we have seen it before.

Voices of Hope Choir - I could barely hear them. The three featured singers were overwhelmed by all of the singers in the background, and I wondered if there was something wrong with the girl with the curly hair's microphone. To me it was underwhelming. 

Samuel J. Comroe - I chuckled here and there. I'll take him over the other comic act who's name escapes me. I do love the energy he brings when he's on stage. 

Michael Ketterer - I thought that he was going to get the pimp spot again, but I guess Simon and the AGT gods did not want to make anything too obvious. But once again, I do not remember his performance or the song he sang. I remember his package and that Simon didn't cry again (again, too obvious). Some singers get the "sob story edit," and Michael seems to get the "angel on earth edit." Don't get me wrong, he is a stand-up guy - and we could use more people like him - but I feel that he's getting more praise for his story and his actual singing. Although the Facebook world would beg to differ. 

It seems that it's nothing new with Simon. His golden buzzers from the past seasons were singers with backstories. Last season, Mandy Harvey's (who I liked) backstory was that she lost her hearing, but is perusing singing and songwriting anyway. The year before that, it call Calysta Bevier, who survived Ovarian Cancer at a young age. And I'm glad that she survived. I've known quite a few people that had lost their lives from it. She had a lovely voice, but not stellar. Her last performance during the semi-finals was her weakest, and yet Simon couldn't bring himself to critique her. I'm not trying to be rude here. I'm just pointing out things that I notice. 

Zucaroh - Another one of my favourites. Yeah, the whole rehearsing in an empty pool made me uneasy. I hope that that was just for the package. But their performance again was beautiful to watch. Yeah, there was a lot of acrobatic work with the younger members, but they do change it up. Hey, could that number be a part of the next Olympic Opening Ceremony? I'd love it if they won, but again, I think that it's gong to Courtney, with Michael Ketterer coming in at second. 

My predictions is that Zucaroh, Michael Ketterer and Shin Lim are going through.  I think that they're a lock. Us the Duo might get through based on their story, or the fact that they have a strong social media following. They have more followers on Facebook than Grace Vanderwaal, Darcy Lynne and many of the contestants from this show. 

I think that Front Pictures will be eliminated.

It's hard to say who else will be eliminated. Maybe MaKayla and Amanda might end up in the Dunkin Save together. Who knows. We'll see tonight. 

Edited by giaNtsandYankees
  • Love 2

Of all the acts last night, there were only a few that we really liked.  Samuel Comroe is my favorite, and hubby likes him too.  He has made us laugh each time, and we just find him very personable.  We really want him to be there at the end.  Zucaroh is another one that we really like.  Once again another great show.  Those two were top performers for us last night.

We enjoyed Voices of Hope choir, but agree with some others than something was off with the sound.  There was no reason the lead singers should have been drowned out like that.  But they were not the only singers plagued by poor sound mixing, so maybe they need some new hires?  We also enjoyed Shin Lim.  He's usually a top performer for us, but last night, while amazing, seemed a little slow.  Not enough to keep us from voting for him, though, and wanting him to go through.

Beyond that, there was no one in the rest of the group that we really want to see go through.  And at this point I think I actively hate Us the Duo.  God, I am sick to death of them and their 'amazing' 'no one else in the entire history of mankind has ever loved like we love or ever had a baby' backstory.  And that song was just horrid.  Please just go the eff away.  Now.  Also don't care for the other "Duo."  I recognize what they do is hard and takes a lot of practice, but there's only so long I can watch them making shapes on a trapeze.  And transitioning to making shapes on roller skates didn't help.  God I hate that.  I hated the brother-sister act that did that stuff recently, and I hated watching these guys do it.  Another one I just want to go away now.

The other singers are all, in our humble opinion anyway, decent enough singers and pleasant to listen to, but none of them seem to really stand out vocally.  They're okay but nothing more.  And while we are amazed by the guys who dance in heels, if it weren't for that gimmick, they'd be just another one of myriad dance troupes we've seen.  The dancing in heels is what's amazing - not really they're dancing.  And I have to admit we are over acts like Front Pictures and the other one that made it through.  Maybe they read differently in person, but sitting at home watching on tv is kind of boring.

If Samuel Comroe, Zucaroh and Shin Lim make it through, we'll be happy.  We would add Voices of Hope to that list as our other favorite.  After that, we really don't care except that I actively don't want to see either of the Duos ever again.  

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Stompster said:

* Am I the only human in the world that doesn't think Shin Lim is "sexy"? (I'm a gay man, so I would know).

This made me laugh, so thanks for that Stompster. It's good to know Shin Lim isn't in your "attraction" wheelhouse, which means he can be in mine. I love to stare at him. Oh yeah, and he does magic, too. Yes, he DOES do magic. A handsome man with magic hands ... and great hair ... for my win.

I do wonder why, after all this time practicing his craft, that his hands appear to shake. Ever so slightly, but still, they do.

In other news, I couldn't get over how Tyra's overly blackened eyes made her head look like a skull with black holes where the eyes should be. WTHeck was that all about?

• Love 7

Oh Saber I agree about Shin Lim....totally yummy...very sexy...and the best close up magician I have ever seen and I've seen A LOT. That was his best trick that he saved for last. Man, what is he going to come up with for the finals, cause he is going to be in them.  He has been my total one choice for the win all season, and might I say this season is the worst ever. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, atlantaloves said:

Man, what is he going to come up with for the finals, cause he is going to be in them.

Stand there, wink at the camera, make a "heart" with his hands. That'll get him all my votes. What? You mean he has to do magic too? The heck!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, atlantaloves said:

Man, what is he going to come up with for the finals, cause he is going to be in them.  He has been my total one choice for the win all season, and might I say this season is the worst ever. 

Kind of doesn't matter, because he is going to lose to a mediocre singer who is Dad of the Year. If he even gets to the final, which would require beating out various other mediocre singers with other back stories, including being the first couple in the history of the world to get married and have a child. Sorry, just saying.

• Love 1

Michael Ketterer is the producer picked winner. Dull, boring, CAN NOT SING, but damn that back story is STRONG. I honestly cannot stand his voice. Sorry fans but his voice sucks to me.

Comic was meh. I didn't laugh but I did do a "huh, that was funny." Last joke was funny. Don't blink. Blink and I'll kill you...HE'S GOT TOURETTES!!! WE GONE DIE!!!!" Now that's funny.

Children's choir? Why do they ALWAYS keep the mic levels the same???? It's so INFURIATINGLY ANNOYING!!! The lead and choir mics are the same levels so you can NEVER HEAR THE LEADS!!!  Dammit show...why bother with lead singers if you cannot hear them ever? And what WAS that song??? The audio was so badly done I couldn't comprehend what it was they were singing.

Overall, this season is so damn boringly dull I quit. I can't anymore. It's just so BAD. NOTHING Good is happening. The stiletto dancers were good but they won't win or even make the finals so why bother getting invested? At least they got the exposure...

I kept thinking Shin Lin (Lim?) had something in his HAIR. That's why it was so awful and wild and untamed looking so he could 'run his hand' through his hair to remove/pick up something.

I just don't care any longer. This season is just so DRY. I don't even care about the critiques. I just mute the damn thing/go picture in picture and watch Bachelor in Paradise when the critiques start. They don't matter cause we already know who's gonna win. It's gonna be the singer with the sadly cool job and all the adopted kids. That's it. Everybody else can go home now.

This may be my last time/season (probably TIME....) watching. It just gets worse and worse every year. Even Britain's Got Talent is dull now....Is that a Shark I see below us?

• Love 2

"The Dream" is better the way Shin Lim usually performs it with no talking and ambient music. But it's amazing any way that he does it. In my head, I know he's not a real magician disguised as a stage magician, but dang when he was doing that behind the back overhead switch and the card just appeared in his hand... I could become a believer.

He has a nice easy stage presence, too. He knows he's seen as sexy, but he's not overt about it... just calm and confident and direct with the camera.

It's time to give in and join the masses by embracing the sweet sweet melodies of latte macchiato and frappuccino establishments all over the world.

Yes, give in and join us! :)

I am still pulling for Duo Transcend out of circus loyalty, but I'm fairly sad that they switched things up by doing rollerskating balancing instead of just doing very different partner trapeze work. There's so much more they could be doing in terms of partner work on the trapeze! It's all much easier than what they're currently doing, but that type of thing only matters to other circus artists.

Strangely, I am a contrarian on Zucaroh. They are too much for me, and IMHO, it's crossed over into cheesy. Also, there's too much dance and not enough acrobatics, and I don't think the dance is that interesting. I liked their Adam and Eve number because the storytelling was so cohesive (except I didn't get the ending, possibly because I'm not Christian), but I didn't get the story to the whole Egypt theme. Just because the golden wings are called Isis Wings doesn't mean you have to be in pretend Egypt to use them.

• Love 2

(Meanwhile, twelve people in the audience just had seizures.)

I was almost one of them, but I recovered.  (That's not a joke, and neither is hoping everyone else who posted about being sick or grumpy feels better soon.)

What made me feel a little better was realizing Micheal Ketterer looks kind of like a young David Hasselhoff, which is nicely full circle.

At first it looked like Tyra was wearing makeup that got worse over the course of the show--or she donated a pint of blood during the boring parts.  (On re-watch, no, I was just thrown off by the blinking lights.)

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Stompster said:

ME:  Don't you ever edit your snark list again. They're hilarious. Hey... somehow I ended up inside the quote bubble. It's so pretty in here!

Aw, thanks! ?

Edited to add: when I tried to quote your comment I got an empty quote bubble and tried like three times before I realized it was because your comment was inside another bubble. Durr.

16 hours ago, bluepiano said:

Is it possible that Shin Lim could be competing for the save this week? There was something a little off about his pacing.  I've loved his previous appearances, but this time I found my attention waning. Two minor quibbles. When he pulls the cards out of his mouth I think about germs, and the hair stroking thing is getting silly. (But as a hetero man I guess I'm not the target for his sexiness).

I felt like it was a bit slow, too (actually, that was one comment I edited from my original snark list). And as a straight woman, I'll just say he's cute but not really my type. (Also, too young.) The repeated "sexy" comments were a tad over the top (but then what isn't with these people?)

11 hours ago, Frankenstein123 said:

YESSS! THE SHOW IS ALMOST OV...I MEAN YAY SEMI-FINALS..yay

Haha! There is a point in most of the shows I watch where I'm like, is this season over yet? I watch the Voice auditions but not the rest of the competition, and it always seems like months later I see a commercial for an upcoming episode and I think, "this season is still going on?"

10 hours ago, ChitChat said:

That sums it up perfectly for me.  As one who usually likes spoilers, in this case, I don't want to know how he does what he does!  I'm tempted to Google it, but I'm enjoying that bit of "amazement" and thinking for a moment that it's really magic!  If he doesn't make it through, then I might look into the truth behind the magic. 

I like knowing how things are done. Then when they're done really well, I find it even more impressive. I did watch a couple of the "Revealed" videos (though I find the videos kinda slow and I lost patience with the last one I tried and decided I didn't want to know that badly).

8 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Forgive me in advance if I'm a little rude. I'm sick with a sore throat (I am hoping that it's not strep) and a tad irritable today. I'm going by what I saw, because I did zone out off and on during the show...probably due to my immune system fighting this illness. Sorry for my sob story, ya'll.

? I read this this morning and I hope you are feeling better this evening.

8 hours ago, giaNtsandYankees said:

Us the Duo/Trio - In case you didn't know, or have forgotten, this duo, and the AGT gods will remind you - they're having a baby. They must be the first couple ever to have a baby. Hrm. Maybe we should try to figure out how the millions of people are here on earth got here, plus the billions and came before. 

Spontaneous generation, of course. (I emerged from a jar of peanut butter.)

2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

And what WAS that song??? The audio was so badly done I couldn't comprehend what it was they were singing.

It was Defying Gravity from Wicked. Yes, I had to look it up because all I remember at this point was that I could barely hear them.

Zurcaroh – has an R in the first syllable…but Tyra keeps saying it ZOO-caro…is she saying it wrong or is the R silent or what? As someone with a name that is constantly mispronounced even by people I've known for years, this is bugging me. I'd love to see them win, because 1, they're fantastic and 2, it'd be cool to see a big group win this thing for once.

Edited by ams1001

The winner of yesterday's show goes to Shin Lim. He again wowed us all with his slight of hand close up illusions. I think if he continues to be amazing he should win AGT. At least I'll be rooting for him.

By far the best dance group goes to Zucaroh. Their performance reminded me of The Ten Commandments. I thought I even saw Ramsis. Great show this dance group puts on. They could be in the thick of things. I can't wait to see what they do in the finals. Yes...The finals!

The most disappointing act was Front Pictures. Maybe they weren't ready since they had been eliminated. I thought their show was boring and like I said, they didn't expect to be a WC.

Of all the singers from last night, I only remember Amenda Mena. Even though I wasn't crazy about her rendition of "Happy", I at least remember what she sang. She did sing it well. Makayla Phillips and Michael Ketterer were not memorable. Michael will advance because of his back story which others have touched on it already. His story is fueling him through the finals. Makayla will be leaving us tonight along with Amenda.

Of the two Duos in last night's show, Duo Transcend will end up going through. I didn't exactly like their performance yesterday. I thought when they changed from the highwire act to roller skates, there was a bit of a delay which seemed odd. Their quick change up means their running out of material. I could've told you that! 

Samuel J. Comroe, the only comedian performing yesterday will go through because of his Tourettes Syndrome not because he was funny. I know, I know, that's not nice, but it's the truth!

We will say goodbye to Junior New System, Us the Duo, Front Pictures, and Voices of Hope.

So we have these acts going through the finals:

Shin Lim

Zucaroh

Michael Ketterer

Duo Transcend

Samuel J. Comroe

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, rr2911 said:

Samuel J. Comroe, the only comedian performing yesterday will go through because of his Tourettes Syndrome not because he was funny. I know, I know, that's not nice, but it's the truth!

I didn't think he was hysterical and I honestly can't remember any of his jokes, but I still can't help but like him. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Frankenstein123 said:

I've already accepted that Michael is going through, but if he's at least joined by Shin, Samuel, Zurcaroh and either of the Duo's, then I can count the results as a success overall. 

I agree with almost all of your very well-written analysis.  Personally, I would swap your #4 (Comroe) and your #5 (Duo Transcend), but that's a minor disagreement.  By all rights, Shin Lim should easily win this thing. But I've learned never to underestimate the, um, peculiarities of the voting demographic, (or the underhanded producer manipulations), for any of these TV talent competitions.  With that caveat, Simon may actually get his mediocre children's choir winner.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Zuleikha said:

I am still pulling for Duo Transcend out of circus loyalty, but I'm fairly sad that they switched things up by doing rollerskating balancing instead of just doing very different partner trapeze work. There's so much more they could be doing in terms of partner work on the trapeze! It's all much easier than what they're currently doing, but that type of thing only matters to other circus artists.

Strangely, I am a contrarian on Zucaroh. They are too much for me, and IMHO, it's crossed over into cheesy. Also, there's too much dance and not enough acrobatics, and I don't think the dance is that interesting. I liked their Adam and Eve number because the storytelling was so cohesive (except I didn't get the ending, possibly because I'm not Christian), but I didn't get the story to the whole Egypt theme. Just because the golden wings are called Isis Wings doesn't mean you have to be in pretend Egypt to use them.

I think that the addition of fire and the roller skating act were totally in response to Simon always telling the variety acts that they need to "step it up" or do something different. Ridiculous and unfair, since he never even tell the singers to do a song in a different genre. That's what's killing this show for me, the double standard between singers and every other kind of act.

I'm with you about being contrarian on Zucaroh. I also think they're cheesy, and I hate the use of biblical/historical themes to make their act look like it's something really significant and meaningful as opposed to "mere entertainment." I also get a weird cultish vibe from the leader and his adoring (very young) dancers.

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, bluepiano said:

I think that the addition of fire and the roller skating act were totally in response to Simon always telling the variety acts that they need to "step it up" or do something different. Ridiculous and unfair, since he never even tell the singers to do a song in a different genre. That's what's killing this show for me, the double standard between singers and every other kind of act.

I'm with you about being contrarian on Zucaroh. I also think they're cheesy, and I hate the use of biblical/historical themes to make their act look like it's something really significant and meaningful as opposed to "mere entertainment." I also get a weird cultish vibe from the leader and his adoring (very young) dancers.

This seems to happen every year theres always some large dance/technical/whatever group that makes it far looks like they might win, but then doesn't. It happened with the earth harp, Acro Army, Light Balance and a few others.

• Love 1
On 9/4/2018 at 10:03 PM, EllenB said:

I haven't watched this season but I accidentally caught the last minute.  I have a question: what the heck is up with Tyra's eyebrows?  Oy!

I think Tyra is starting to look like a second-rate drag queen-no offense to the spectacular ones who rock it.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Stand there, wink at the camera, make a "heart" with his hands. That'll get him all my votes. What? You mean he has to do magic too? The heck!

And occasionally coax the camera to zero in on his backside.

Yeah, I'd probably dig it.

• Love 1

Us The Duo are like every insufferable couple on Facebook who post a new pic with their baby bump every day to count down to the due date. Having a child is a wonderful thing and I am happy for all the people out there who are planning to welcome a little one into their lives--but it has quite literally been done by billions of people for thousands of years and while it is a new experience for you, it is just another day for the rest of humanity. Oh, and I guess they sang too, but I didn't even notice because I hate them.

I've seen the video of Shin Lim doing that trick on Penn and Teller: Fool Us but I was still mesmerized watching it here. He's got the deck stacked against him (no pun intended) with some mediocre singers this year, but he so deserves the win. He is spectacular.

Front Pictures really shit the bed, didn't they? Last week's performance was so fun and imaginative, and this one was so dull. I was pulling for them, and happy when they got a Wild Card, but they can leave now.

Oh Duo Transcend, reminding me of last season's Roller Skates In The Attic is not the way to endear me to you.

I thought this was the strongest Samuel J. Comroe has been all season, though I didn't care for his last few jokes. I like the concept of telling someone with Tourette's not to blink in theory, but white dudes telling jokes about black people and the police is so not my cup of tea. 

• Love 3

On a somewhat unrelated note, I didn't think anyone on this forum was male - the other shows I used to post about were nothing but old women bitching about what I said.

Anyways, about the show, I can't say I was surprised, since this show was exactly like the last consecutive batch of duds. Too many damn singers; it's not entertaining at all. The non-singer acts have all been done on this show before and I would say "they've been done better" if I cared to remember the intricacies of husband/wife gymnastics acts of years' past.

11. Makayla Phillips - As boring as I think her act is, she would be a much better fit for American Idol. America's Got Talent really seems like it's geared more towards middle aged adults, rather than the teen demographic, which is the only demographic who would really support her for any extended duration. American Idol also gives more of an opportunity to develop personality, so the act doesn't come off so generic and boring. To sum up this performance specifically, though - zzzzzzz.

10: Amanda Mena - She got bullied. But how does she sing? She couldn't speak English. OK, but is she talented? *breaks into tears*. That is the theme for all AGT acts, so you can hardly be surprised if you've been watching the show for a few seasons, but you'll still be irritated. Summing up the performance - me putting my nightcap on.

9: Voices of Hope Children’s Choir - This performance was OK, despite the pre-performance video package featuring the soft spoken women who tried to convince everyone that the kids are like her family. It's more believable than the other choir, but the preaching of the sentiment is annoying, since we've seen them on TV for a total of like 8 minutes maximum in over 3 months - nobody buys it.

8: Front Pictures - This act was garbage. Perhaps they didn't have enough time to create a full performance after being brought back, but the guy doing the "choreography" was basically just drifting in space like when you don't point your Wiimote at a star in Super Mario Galaxy (I hope someone gets this remark). These types of light show/computer acts usually preach some pretentious message like "life is beautiful <3" and it's communicated in irritating imagery like a butterfly floating around until it bursts into a rainbow - this act was on a similar wavelength and it was a real bore.

7: Michael Ketterer - I don't think I was really paying attention to what he was singing, which is thanks to the AGT dissociation coping reflex I have developed. The judges basically said he deserves this for being a good guy. I find it hard to imagine him not winning the show just based on how much the judges are kissing his ass. The more of his "good deeds" they show, the more I hate him, even though it seems as though he is actually a good person and it's more so the judges/producers who are creating this douchey aura around it.

6: Junior New System - Since I don't want to look at results yet, I'm going to assume this was the group of dancers in the high heels. I usually forget everything about the previous day's performances since I watch the live show in 2 parts across 2 days. From what I remember, there was the same amount of cartwheeling and flipping as before. I know the human body is limited in what positions or rotations it can make, but still, it's like watching the same performance between every group, every week and every season.

5: Us the Duo - Otherwise known as "I'M PREGNANT!!!" ft. some singing. These two are really annoying. This act belongs at a cafe, there is no way in Hell they would ever do well in Vegas. People go to Vegas to see residency shows from big names, not from nobodies.

4: Duo Transcend - This act looked familiar...oh wait a minute, it was an amalgamation of the same act we've seen on this show 50 times already. I really hope I'm not the only one who nods off to sleep when these two come on.

3: Samuel J. Comroe - I've been hating on him for the past few episodes and while his material was imo weak for the first half, he did have some funny jokes near the end. Just in case your smiling and laughing muscles are sore and need a break, Vicky Barbolak performs next week.

2: Zurcaroh - This seemed to be a few people doing the real show while they were surrounded by dozens of people doing Richard Simmons poses to pad it out. I didn't think it was good.

1: Shin Lim - The only act of the night that would be considered very good (or any adjective that is not a synonym of shit). I don't get why they keep calling him sexy, though I know he has a decent facial structure, there doesn't seem to be any "sexiness" incorporated into his act, nor does there need to be. He has good presentation and flair, which I'm guessing the two dried out crows (Heidi and Mel) are misinterpreting.

Edited by InternetToughGuy
  • Love 2