Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Then.  THEN.  Because I am an old crone, Nicole’s story that she is “related” to Meghan Markle made me want to burn everything to the ground.

I get that sororities are national but cod’s sack. They didn’t even go to the same school!

Good gods, I didn't misinterpret that in my typical limited attention (if that) paid to the interviews?  I'd be embarrassed on her behalf, but that's so utterly lame she is on her own.

I have liked precisely two sci-fi shows in the history of television – The X-Files and Battlestar Galactica (the reboot, not the original) – and I hated their episodes that were traditionally sci-fi versus their many that did something different with the genre, so I bet zero of my imaginary dollars on FJ.  And good thing!  Among things I knew nothing about but sounded like alien races, I considered and rejected Vulcans and Klingons, so had nothing.  When the answer was revealed, I had to look it up to see what show it came from.

I know it was the first round, but the first half of the “Read It” and most if not all of the “Famous Women” and “Tools Are Confusing” categories were Teen Tournament level.  And all but one of the “Seven Deadliest Synonyms” clues were hideously over-valued for DJ.

The Medicare card TS was stunning.  And art deco may be one of the dumbest wrong guesses I’ve heard on the show.

On the flip side, like with my serious ignorance of sci-fi TV shows, boy, the 21st Century Films category was filled with movies that are not my thing; I only knew one.

Oh, and “the other one” for Jackie Joyner Kersee being the wrong answer and FloJo going unanswered – piss off, Alex.  I hate most times he does that, but it’s particularly egregious in a clue with a black woman as the answer!

• Love 3

Remus was the clue for me, even though I am a big ST:TNG fan.

I got Medicare cards, Brasilia, Art Nouveau, and, of course, FJ-Romulans. I loooove Mucha, so Art Nouveau was an instaget. I had just recently read about the Medicare cards in one of my progressive blogs, so now I finally have a response to my mother’s question of “What are you doing with all of these progressive news stories?” other than “Knowledge is its own power.” 

• Love 2

My station went whack during DJ. The game started, then one category in it switched to a commercial that switch to more commercials then more commercials, none of them finishing, then back to the start of DJ. Then two clues in, the partial commercials started looping again. Then DJ started all over again. Then the looping commercials. Then DJ started again. By the fourth time of DJ starting over, I was able to give the answer before the clue was revealed.

Finally it settled down and the rest of DJ was shown, although whatever was in the middle we never got to see. It was crazy time there for a while.

I never saw a Medicare clue/answer. Would someone fill me in, please?

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Psalms. Another word, like salmon & almond, with the variable L pronunciation.  I'd never heard it pronounced without the L before. "Sahms" sounds silly.

I'm curious as to where you live since I've never heard any of these words pronounced with an "l".

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Yeah, when Medicare was a ts, I thought they must be too young to know.  And don't know anyone on Medicare.  And don't read newspapers.

9 minutes ago, Sharpie66 said:

It was about the SSA issuing new cards with new numbers since the old ones used the recipient’s Social Security number.

The Medicare card clue that was a TS was in the AMA category, and said the organization told doctors to prepare for a redesigned version of these cards, aimed at stopping identify theft, going out to 60 million people.

49 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

.....although it made more sense than Klingon.

Hey, that was my guess! I'm not much of a sci-fi fan. Obviously.

I'm not having a very good week.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

I'm curious as to where you live since I've never heard any of these words pronounced with an "l".

Didn't we have a discussion not too long ago about the L/not L? Or was that another forum? Born in Philly, raised in Miami with parents who were definitely Philadephians, so that's the accent I have, even though I've lived in Metro Atlanta since I was 23 (in 1973, moved here a month before my 24th B'day.)  I don't pronounce the L in any of those 3 words.

If the planet is Vulcan, wouldn't the residents be Vulcanian? If they're Vulcan, the planet should be Vulca, right? That has always bothered me. LIke people from Spain are Spains? Whaaa?

I noticed the "WHEM" and missed the rest of the clue from laughing so loudly.

Instead of "Up on the roof" I started singing, "Under the boardwalk..."  LOL. When they go high, i go low.

I hated Andy's embellishment of his written name.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I didn't think about it that hard

'Psalms' sounds kind of like 'songs', and the verses are kind of like little song verses, so I went with that

Plus I couldn't think of any other bible book that would make sense

Also, the other Greek-named option, Ecclesiastes, is the Greek version of name of the author (commonly rendered in English as the Preacher). And even if you didn't know that, it sounds like ecclesiastic, which should remind you of the church. Church, ecclesiastical, Ecclesiastes.

Edited by Kathira
6 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I'm not a huge Star Trek fan but I would have known Romulans from Remus and Roman mythology.

I was trying to come up with a wolf alien race, then I was onto werewolves, then to Twilight, but that wasn't a TV show, so then... I basically gave up.

9 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I always pronounce almond and psalm with an l, but not salmon

And for llama I say lalama. :D

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Florence Joyner (and it's nice to know that FloJo would have been accepted), and Medicare.

I said FloJo, because I couldn't remember her name at all, and figured I wouldn't get credit - then I was surprised when Alex said it. Go figure.

11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I cannot believe he got that wrong!!!

I thought for sure the Zach Galifianakis twin would know sci-fi!!  ANd it was so easy!!

Vulcans!  Seriously!

He did know sci-fi, he just over thought it - as @saber5055 describes so well.  But really, you don't have to know much sci-fi in depth. Remus had a brother named Romulus, so Romulans seems like it would be a logical get if you had a passing knowledge of Star Trek.

10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Michael Dorn! So jealous! Wish I had been able to go to a ST convention "back in the day." Worf is a favorite of mine.

Not a horrible guess. The Romulans are biological cousins of the Vulcans. Their ancestors left the planet Vulcan during The Time of Awakening (blame it on Surak!) and moved to the planets Romulus and Remus. So, they would still be Vulcans if they hadn't moved out. They still look Vulcan-esque. It just didn't fit the clue, although it made more sense than Klingon.

• Love 3

So glad Andy lost. His petulance at losing was just icing on the cake. Where was he from and what does he do? I missed the intros. I got up on the roof (love JT!), Medicare card (I work in healthcare) and Romulans. (mostly from the Rome twins but also from having Star Trek on in the background as my brothers got to watch their show on our one TV - we were poor!).

And I for one was shocked by Alex's "no, the other one." Even my 13-year-old caught it "Did he just say what I thought he said?" 

Since I dislike SciFi and Star Trek and anything Star Trek-related, I was clueless on FJ. I thought of Romulus and Remus immediately, but since I know almost nothing about the show, wouldn't have known what to guess. 

Women in History. So, the default would be Men in History? I don't believe I've ever seen that category on J!...

The new champ's surprise at winning was cute. I'm glad the guy didn't win. His board jumping was driving me bonkers. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, mookster said:

And I for one was shocked by Alex's "no, the other one." Even my 13-year-old caught it "Did he just say what I thought he said?" 

Perhaps I am not politically aware enough but I don't see a problem here.  Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Florence Griffith-Joyner are sisters-in-law who were active in track and field at the same time and are often confused. So, when contestant answered with one of the two women and it was wrong, Alex said it was "the other one" of the two.  Just like people confuse Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis, and other examples I can't think of now.  Feel free to disagree with my assessment of his remark.

My ts's were Brasilia, Up On the Roof and Art Nouveau. For FJ I stupidly blurted out Cardassians when Remus should have told me right away it was the Romulans.

• Love 9
16 hours ago, teebax said:

I was stunned I got a SciFi TV answer correct in an instaget! 

New champ was really excited, which I get, but middle guy didn't seem to appreciate it. I get that, too, but he looked really irritated. This is a big fear of mine, if I make the show. I wear my emotions on my sleeve. I don't want to look pissy if I lose. 

It took me a moment.  I was sitting there thinking "what the?" when I decided to follow the Remus to Romulus & Remus, and thus to Romulans.

When I lost, it was all about not bursting into tears, so who knows what kind of expression was on my face - I just hope it wasn't too bad.

15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I also got Florence Joyner (and it's nice to know that FloJo would have been accepted), and Medicare.

I stupidly said Social Security; at least I knew it was one of those old people things. ;-)

1 hour ago, mookster said:

I wasn't, because I thought the exact same thing.  Because they were sisters-in-law, they've always been a joint thing in my mind.  Although, with the (unproven) doping accusations against FloJo, I wonder if Jackie Joyner-Kersee might prefer they weren't.

13 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I got Medicare cards, Brasilia, Art Nouveau, and, of course, FJ-Romulans. I loooove Mucha, so Art Nouveau was an instaget.

I got Brasilia, Art Nouveau & FJ.  I adore Mucha.  I have a print of his poster for Tosca on my dining room wall, and also have a Mucha coloring book.

3 hours ago, peeayebee said:

And for llama I say lalama. :D

I say Yama!

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Didn't we have a discussion not too long ago about the L/not L? Or was that another forum?

Yes, that was here. Anyone questioning whether to L or not to L needs to scroll back and read. We beat that topic to death.

2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

When I lost, it was all about not bursting into tears, so who knows what kind of expression was on my face - I just hope it wasn't too bad.

That must have been Before Our Time because for sure PTV posters would have let you know everything, including multiple things you didn't want to know, about your stint on the show.

2 hours ago, Trey said:
3 hours ago, mookster said:

Perhaps I am not politically aware enough but I don't see a problem here. 

It's not that it's a problem, it's that we make fun of Trebek saying "No, the other one" when there isn't always an obvious "other one." Read backward and you will see many posts here on just that topic. At least that's my take on it.

15 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I thought for sure the Zach Galifianakis twin would know sci-fi!! 

I don't know why how someone looks would indicate their knowledge base. I was pleased when, during a local news interview, the tv person asked the person who lived next door to where a son killed his family: "Did he look like a murderer?" And the neighbor replied, "What does a murderer look like?" So: What does a Star Trek fan look like? Hint: I guarantee that I look nothing like yesterday's man player.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Yes, that was here. Anyone questioning whether to L or not to L needs to scroll back and read. We beat that topic to death.

That must have been Before Our Time because for sure PTV posters would have let you know everything, including multiple things you didn't want to know, about your stint on the show.

It's not that it's a problem, it's that we make fun of Trebek saying "No, the other one" when there isn't always an obvious "other one." Read backward and you will see many posts here on just that topic. At least that's my take on it.

I don't know why how someone looks would indicate their knowledge base. I was pleased when, during a local news interview, the tv person asked the person who lived next door to where a son killed his family: "Did he look like a murderer?" And the neighbor replied, "What does a murderer look like?" So: What does a Star Trek fan look like? Hint: I guarantee that I look nothing like yesterday's man player.

Of course you can't say for sure based on looks, you are playing percentages.  But of the three players yesterday, if someone were to ask the general population, "Who is most likely to get a star trek question correct?, I think most would say him.  The one who is a young scruffy looking male that just strikes me as probably having a lot of free time on his hands and looks like an unshaved and slightly slimmer version of Comic book store guy on the Simpsons. 

I don't look anything like him either and I knew the answer.  But just playing the odds and biases, I thought for sure he would know that FJ answer. 

• Love 3
27 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

The one who is a young scruffy looking male that just strikes me as probably having a lot of free time on his hands and looks like an unshaved and slightly slimmer version of Comic book store guy on the Simpsons. 

This is a great example of YMMV! I found Andy rather attractive, someone I would def look twice (or more) at if I saw him IRL. I was hoping he would win so I could eye candy him again today.

30 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But of the three players yesterday, if someone were to ask the general population, "Who is most likely to get a star trek question correct?, I think most would say him. 

This is a great example of why one should never trust the opinion of "the general population" since both women got FJ, not the GP's choice of Andy, making the GP's opinion worth nothing.

BTW, I read on another board that Andy overthought FJ which is why he answered "Vulcan." See my above post as to how he could have arrived at that answer.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Fortunately it was before I found this site, or even before I started reading the stuff at Television Without Pity.

Andy reminded me too much of Austin, so I was thrilled when he did not win.  Even though I absolutely would've picked him out of a line-up as a sci-fi fan.  (Totally one myself, btw.)

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

BTW, I read on another board that Andy overthought FJ which is why he answered "Vulcan." See my above post as to how he could have arrived at that answer.

He said that on the show when his answer was revealed.

• Love 3

Faris played really well. I was glad he won. 

My gets were Greenland & Iceland, prize fight, data, and final. I think I'm on on FJ streak! 

I received the application I have to take to the audition with me. I struggled with the five interesting things, not because I didn't have enough, but because I realized how many of my good stories involve bars. Even if I am one, I don't want to come off as a lush on TV!

Anyway, the application says it's for Season 35. I was surprised they're still auditioning for this season. I certainly hope I make the show because I'm spending a pretty penny to get to it. 

• Love 21

Poor Mary Kate never stood a chance!  The other two were just too fast on the buzzer.  Well, that and some of her wild-ass guesses and brain farts.  Brain farts like that are why I will never try out -- I draw blanks like that all the time.

However, FJ was another instaget for me!  I also got prize fight, wirehaired, and step. 

I'm glad Faris won -- former champ lost me with the intro antics.

• Love 9

@teebax To get a good story maybe ask a relative or friend if they remember something funny or cute that you have done. Lol...this board makes all of us a lush at times. Good luck. 

I got prize fight, wire haired (a no brainer for our friend Saber), papyrus, Doctor, A Conan Doyle and the FJ of Rudyard Kipling. I liked Faris’s win. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, teebax said:

My gets were Greenland & Iceland

I came up with Greenland, but I was mulling over Great Britain or Ireland, and then I just stopped thinking.

What I did get was prize fight, wire-haired, and doctor.

It took me a bit, but I did come up with Kipling, in a roundabout way. I was thinking of the Just-So stories, but I thought of the author as Aesop. Then I thought about the Jungle Book and came to Kipling. I assume the clue was referring to The Jungle Book, not Just-So Stories.

• Love 2

Everyone knows that I was traumatized as a child by my dentist who had a horrible teeth. I have a thing about mouths. Both the old and new Champion had something weird going on with their mouths. It was so distracting for me.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

wire haired (a no brainer for our friend Saber)

LOL @Mindthinkr, yes indeed. Thanks for thinking of me! I barely looked at the picture and "wirehaired" was out of my mouth before Trebek had finished reading the clue. However, I won't shame any of the players for not knowing everything I do. Coincidentally, I am currently working on a publication for a wirehaired breed club.

• Love 6

The dog we had for most of my childhood was a schnauzer/wirehaired terrier mix, so that was an instaget for me. Overall, I got Iceland and Greenland, prize fight, wirehaired, data, papyrus, doctor, Doyle, and FJ-Kipling. 

• Love 3

I, like many I am sure, had to read The Inferno in high school lit. 

When I was in grad school (with two kids, ages 3 and 1), I took a job tutoring the football team. They had to read (and were tested on) The Inferno. I remember translating it into a Dr. Seuss book with pictures and everything (I was going for my MFA).

All my guys passed the test.

I don't watch SF shows and I've only been to one SF/Fantasy convention . . . promoting my raunchy novel, inspired by events that occurred during the filming of The Exorcist . . . so I guessed Klingon, too.

However, Kipling was an instaget.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This is a great example of why one should never trust the opinion of "the general population" since both women got FJ, not the GP's choice of Andy, making the GP's opinion worth nothing.

Unless you're playing Family Feud, where it's the winning strategy. :)

13 hours ago, teebax said:

My gets were Greenland & Iceland, prize fight, data, and final. I think I'm on on FJ streak! 

I received the application I have to take to the audition with me. I struggled with the five interesting things, not because I didn't have enough, but because I realized how many of my good stories involve bars. Even if I am one, I don't want to come off as a lush on TV!

Anyway, the application says it's for Season 35. I was surprised they're still auditioning for this season. I certainly hope I make the show because I'm spending a pretty penny to get to it. 

I was thrilled when I got Greenland & Iceland and the mister didn't. I'm weak in geography, and it is one of his strengths.

I was thinking about a good story yesterday while watching - and it involved a bar too. It was my only bar story (I'm a lightweight), but Cheers to you! We're pulling for you, lush or not. ;)

9 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL @Mindthinkr, yes indeed. Thanks for thinking of me! I barely looked at the picture and "wirehaired" was out of my mouth before Trebek had finished reading the clue. However, I won't shame any of the players for not knowing everything I do. Coincidentally, I am currently working on a publication for a wirehaired breed club.

I got it right away - I haven't had a wire haired dog, but most of mine have been terriers, so I've heard of the wirehaired terrier breed. Plus the clue just seemed to hand it to them. But as always, knowledge mileage varies.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Unless you're playing Family Feud, where it's the winning strategy. :)

LOL at this. "The Feud" is a supposedly family friendly game show where kids can learn all the euphemisms for those "naughty bits."

• Love 2

I'm an attorney, so I paid close attention to tonight's legal terms category.  I could swear that the female contestant said that people who die without wills die "intestant" instead of the correct answer of "intestate."   I rewound and listed two more times.  I kept waiting for Alex to say she couldn't keep money for that answer and it never happened.  Maybe I was wrong.  

• Love 12

Of course she won.  The one contestant tonight who bugged me, and of course she won.  In a runaway no less!  Also, I hated her outfit.

<ahem>  FJ was the fifth instaget of the week for me!  I also got anointment, and Tom Sawyer. 

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

She did say intestent.  I couldn’t finish watching the game because of her

I fast forwarded to the final, because that was the most logical time for Alex to say something.  Nothing.  Then I rewound to the end of Double Jeopardy.  Nothing.  Like you, it more or less ruined the game for me.  Did the second place winner bet everything?  If he bet less than it would have taken to beat her, they may bring him back.  I've already deleted and would be too lazy to do the math anyhow.  

• Love 1

My brain just wasn’t engaging today, because I was getting practically nothing! I only got Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Jeb Stuart (that because I spent the afternoon with my tv on the Ken Burns Civil War miniseries in the background while I worked), and then FJ. 

I wasn’t overly happy with Jackie winning and agree with y’all that she should have been requested to re-enunciate the answer in the legal category. My brain was kind of fried tonight and I only got Kracken, Madison Square Garden, palimony, and Tom Sawyer. I drew a complete blank on FJ. I was surprised and disappointed at how many clues were left in both rounds.  

• Love 3

I got anointment, The Pearl, delecti, and FJ. Coincidentally, today on the radio was a story that mentioned Toys R Us closing.

I just couldn't remember Madison Square Garden. I'm also mad at myself for confusing 'Huck Finn' and 'Tom Sawyer.'

• Love 1

I have to figure Alex was not happy with two or three of the French translation category clues left on the board.  He lives for those categories (just like I live for the Sports categories, where three clues were left on the board, grrrrr).

I think it would be hilarious if there was a Music category on Monday and a clue like "This all-female band's second album in 1977 was entitled 'Queens of Noise'".

Good luck, @teebax !  I will be rooting for you!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Thalia said:

I'm an attorney, so I paid close attention to tonight's legal terms category.  I could swear that the female contestant said that people who die without wills die "intestant" instead of the correct answer of "intestate."   I rewound and listed two more times.  I kept waiting for Alex to say she couldn't keep money for that answer and it never happened.  Maybe I was wrong.  

We did too, though on replay, the mister thought that maybe she was just pronouncing it more like an 'eh' than an 'a'. He's a generous guy. 

• Love 3

I didn't hear her mispeak, but I was answering at the same time, so I wouldn't have heard it anyway. 

I had upset, temperature, anointment, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and FJ in an instaget. 

I can't believe we didn't get through Teams on the Move. I'd have run it!

• Love 2