Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

LOL. Like maybe the voice-over woman gets a script and reads it while the Alexa sits on the table?

I wish Alexa would give the clues all the time just to get rid of the crummy bogus accents the other voice-over person likes to use.

Nooooooo..... careful what you wish for, @saber5055 !

• LOL 2

Other than Teebax not winning I enjoyed the break from James and watching the Teachers Tournament. 

FJ was fairly easy but I was annoyed that Francois only wrote National Geo. I’ve seen other people go down in the finals for not completing a word. Yes, we all knew what he meant, but I want the rules to apply for everybody. 

• Love 7
32 minutes ago, Bliss said:

Yes/WooHoo

Can't wait!

As an update to the two times we missed new Jeopardy in the past week.....I spoke with the program director(as apparently many did!). Last week when we got the Thursday episode twice it was a boo boo by someone who read the info on the program wrong. Then when we got last year's episode of the Teacher's Tournament on Thursday, a trainee had been left to do the programing...they get two programs sent to them a day, the primary and a secondary (one that can be used as a filler if they need something for the middle of the night)! The poor trainee saw "second" and Tournament and thought that was the one that should be shown. Ooops! The program director(who is a Jeopardy fan) said her hair turned gray the moment she saw what happened but there was nothing she could do. At least now they know to explain things!!! She did say that TPTB have asked them to use the promos for the James episodes. Good for advertising!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

FJ was fairly easy but I was annoyed that Francois only wrote National Geo. I’ve seen other people go down in the finals for not completing a word. Yes, we all knew what he meant, but I want the rules to apply for everybody. 

Good point that I totally missed. Again, it's another example of the inconsistency that is this show. Some players get "NO" while others get "BMS." Some players get Trebek to finish their answer for them. Some players get "No way can you win" while others get "You're still in this" at FJ. It's a long and inconsistent list.

• Love 3
(edited)

I read all the teachers got a free Amazon Echo. Can @teebax confirm? (or did she mention it and I missed it?)

And I'm so happy Alex got to say Francois for four games.

Edited by opus
  • Love 4
43 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

Other than Teebax not winning I enjoyed the break from James and watching the Teachers Tournament. 

Yes, that bugged us too. There are a couple of other endings to that abbreviation.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, opus said:

I read all the teachers got a free Amazon Echo. Can @teebax confirm? (or did she mention it and I missed it?) 

And I'm so happy Alex got Francois for four games.

I believe @teebax said she got an Echo, it's in the Experiences thread I think.

LOL that Alex got to say "Francois" multiple times. I have a friend with that name and it's pronounced Fran-koyz. Alex would not have been happy.

• LOL 2
56 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I didn't think they should have given it to him either; he bet 0 so it didn't impact his score but they should still have told him it was wrong.

I did not get FJ, thought of Life magazine and couldn't thnk of anything else.

I loved seeing Teebax and the tournament wasn't bad overall but I think I am happy enough to get back to James.  At least for a while, then he can lose.

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

FJ was fairly easy but I was annoyed that Francois only wrote National Geo.

I wonder if it’s because their IG handle which was part of the clue is @natgeo and they have been using Nat Geo to brand a lot of their properties/projects.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Useful 4
(edited)

Ok I'm just spoiler tagging this entire post. Read at your peril. My mind is blown right now.

Spoiler

On April 7, Jackie Fox tweeted a picture of a bunch of Jeopardy alumni gathered together for the last taping, including Ken, Brad, Pam, and Austin. Then today Jeopardy tweeted the video of Ken, Brad, Pam, and Austin talking about how good James is and whether they would like to play him. They're all wearing the same clothes as in Jackie's picture, so it was filmed at the last taping. In my mind, that makes it 99.9% certain that James closes out the season. The 0.1% is if Jeopardy is trolling us big time.

I'm actually feeling rather conflicted about this. I'm starting to think maybe he really is going to break the game. It has to have an effect on contestant morale. If they called me now to tape for the next season, I'd probably let out words I've never said before out loud. 

Edited by Abstract
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3

I will reiterate, they need to up the winning amount for the tournaments.  $100K is not enough.  Should be at least $250K. 

It was an OK tournament.  Back to the James show tomorrow. 

• Love 5
1 minute ago, DrSpaceman said:

I will reiterate, they need to up the winning amount for the tournaments.  $100K is not enough.  Should be at least $250K. 

It was an OK tournament.  Back to the James show tomorrow. 

I wouldn't mind $100k for a couple of days work.

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Ah, but after taxes, travel expenses and time off from work you may only end up with 50k. Still it is a pretty penny. 

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Nor would I, especially since my flight to LA and my room at a plush hotel were also gratis. $100k, free flight, free suite, free food, tv exposure, local news exposure plus that Amazon Echo as icing *cough*. Heck, I'd even be happy getting a free $10k for just being in the tournament. It's more than a regular contestant gets for second or third place, and they have to pay for their trip/rooms.

Plus Francois gets to be on ToC for another chance at more $. Sweet.

Just now, Mindthinkr said:

Ah, but after taxes, travel expenses and time off from work you may only end up with 50k. Still it is a pretty penny. 

Travel/lodging for this tournament was paid by Jeopardy. I think most schools are pretty happy when one of their teachers get accepted to be on the tournament, makes the school look smart for hiring them. Does their pay get docked for time off? Do they have to pay for the sub teacher out of their own pocket? Do teachers have comp days? Vacation days? Inquiring minds want to know.

And frankly, taxes makes everything sucks, not just game-show winnings. People with $100,000/year jobs don't put $100k in their pocket every year either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

And frankly, taxes makes everything sucks, not just game-show winnings. People with $100,000/year jobs don't put $100k in their pocket every year either.

Yep, but they still put more in their pocket than I do. LOL

• LOL 5
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Does their pay get docked for time off? Do they have to pay for the sub teacher out of their own pocket? Do teachers have comp days? Vacation days? Inquiring minds want to know.

Depends on the state/district/contract. Everyone in my district gets sick and personal days that you can roll over year to year. Teachers can also donate to a sick day bank that can be used for people with long term illnesses, but have run out of sick days. When you retire, you get paid a certain percentage for your unused sick days. You get paid if you have jury duty. Teachers also have professional development days. Subs are paid by the district. 

Hopefully teebax was paid for whatever days she needed to take. As you said, it's free publicity for her school/district.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I used to work at a place where they paid you $3 for an unused sick day. One of the secretaries, during a staff meeting, said, "I'd rather get sick than get $3."  Cheap-ass lawyers.

I'd rather get $3. I hate being sick:)

• Love 1

I realize $100K is a lot of money

But teachers get paid crap, generally, and could use more

James is making like $75k to 100K a show right now, or close to it.  Its like one show for him.  Ok, he is an outlier, but even if you ignore that, a two week tournament, 10 shows, I know they aren't on all 10 days but they are on 4 days, works out to like $25K a show for the days they are on or if you average it over 10 days its like 10K a show.  It doesn't seem like a lot for tournament champions when its not really any more than one could make as a regular contestant. 

Same with the college/teen tournament.  $100K is not covering 4 years of college expenses in many cases, which I assume is what they are using it for. 

Its a nice sum but not what I would call a huge sum.  Anyone know when they last time they increased the amount was for tournament winners?  Have they ever?  The Tournament of champions has gone up from 100K to 250K, but not sure about these tournament winners

• Love 2
(edited)
15 hours ago, lb60 said:

Everyone in my district gets sick and personal days that you can roll over year to year.

When I wrote my post, I was thinking of the California teacher who is on extended (paid) sick leave battling breast cancer, and she has to pay the sub teacher out of her own pocket, more than $200/day.

According to CNN, the average teacher in that district makes $82,024.37. While others might disagree, I hardly call that salary "crap." So I checked my state. In Illinois, the average teacher makes $61,402. Again, hardly "crap" IMO. But then perhaps everyone here makes more than that. I worked for half of that, and that was putting in 80-hour weeks year 'round. And when I was "forced" to take my vacation days, I took my work home and still worked full time from there.

So I beg to differ with anyone who thinks Jeopardy tournament winners are getting cheaped, teachers or students. I'd love to be able to spend a week in LA, be on my favorite game show and take home any amount of money. I wouldn't expect any winnings to pay my college tuition or permit me to quit my day job any more than I would expect the long shot I bet to come in at the track. It's icing, not cake.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5
On 5/17/2019 at 3:26 PM, Trey said:

Possibly teebax's cheque has cleared?

They don't send them until 120 days after airing. (I'm using mine for Europe next summer, so it's fine with me.)

If anyone still gives a damn and wants the full story, I'll be happy to share it after the check clears. By then, I think everyone will have moved on!

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
2 hours ago, teebax said:

If anyone still gives a damn and wants the full story, I'll be happy to share it after the check clears. By then, I think everyone will have moved on! 

Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!

• LOL 12
  • Love 5
41 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

Well, you know what they say: if you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!

LOL! I second that emotion.

I still wonder what the deal is with holding checks for four months.

Knowing James is back today is depressing me. It's like taking an old boyfriend back, one you've grown past and have no interest in dating again. I'd rather have the Teachers Tournament go on until the end of the season. Then a fresh new group of players to start Season 36. The bloom is off the James rose for me. WAY off.

But, like everything in life, "tough rocks, Saber."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I still wonder what the deal is with holding checks for four months.

Maybe in case a contestant blabs about results before their episode airs?

Anyone who can't stand to watch James: the "What was FJ?" thread has summaries, FJ clues, and (if you scroll way down) FJ answers.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, Driad said:

Maybe in case a contestant blabs about results before their episode airs?

Checks are held four months after the air date for that contestant's episode. So more like six months. A little harder to explain.

7 hours ago, saber5055 said:

According to CNN, the average teacher in that district makes $82,024.37. While others might disagree, I hardly call that salary "crap." 

The teacher lives in San Francisco and as someone who also lives here due to the cost of living $82k is unfortunately not a lot.

• Love 7

Wow! Alex must be feeling sick. He passed up a chance to speak French (referring to Zola's writing as "I Accuse", as opposed to "J'Accuse")!  BTW, what was the correct answer to the Charlemagne question (the one where "Pepin the Short" was ruled correct, then incorrect when it was discovered PtS was the father & not the son)?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

The teacher lives in San Francisco and as someone who also lives here due to the cost of living $82k is unfortunately not a lot.

As someone who lives in Illinois, an average yearly salary of more than $60,000 is a lot IMO. YMMV of course.

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

As someone who lives in Illinois, an average yearly salary of more than $60,000 is a lot IMO. YMMV of course.

Yes it’s a lot because the cost of living is lower so the money goes further than it does in SF. The average rent in SF is $3,600 a month so basically an average salary of $82k barely covers that after taxes. In average salary by state is also completely misleading because you have people who make more because of the COL in Chicago versus areas with lower COL so make less.

Excited for non tournament games to come back. Don’t really care about James it’s just I like the way the tournament games play out less.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

I got FJ right.  And it wasn't an instaget,, so I'm proud of myself for not panicking and thinking rationally.

I also got Manet.  Although that was an educated guess.

Otherwise, so-so days.  Since Spielberg was in the clue, I said Jaws instead of shark. Argh.  I obviously knew it was a shark.  

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
48 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Excited for non tournament games to come back. Don’t really care about James it’s just I like the way the tournament games play out less.

I agree. The wagering is off in tournaments because people are trying to make wildcard or adjusting for a two-day total final. Makes the wagering part more conservative and boring to watch.

Wow, that middle contestant was NOT happy with the score adjustments right before FJ. I mean, it’s not like it affected her chance to win (which was 0%). 

• Love 6

I pre-guessed Sartre for FJ, hoping to get a Trebekian overpronunciation, but alas, no such luck.  And since I was stuck on Sartre -- though I knew it wasn't right -- I couldn't get to Zola. 

Another great start to the FJ week.  And James is back.  Boo, hiss.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, SHD said:

Wow, that middle contestant was NOT happy with the score adjustments right before FJ. I mean, it’s not like it affected her chance to win (which was 0%). 

I think it was kind of like "please, like he needs more money."

Just now, Browncoat said:

I pre-guessed Sartre for FJ, hoping to get a Trebekian overpronunciation, but alas, no such luck.  And since I was stuck on Sartre -- though I knew it wasn't right -- I couldn't get to Zola. 

Another great start to the FJ week.  And James is back.  Boo, hiss.

I kept saying, Dreyfuss, that's not the answer.  Zola?  Emile Zola?  Is that it?  It sounds right? Is it right?  I'm glad there was only 30 seconds.  

• Love 3
(edited)
6 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I pre-guessed Proust (because of Monty Python) and had no idea who wrote “I Accuse” so I had no chance of figuring this one out, ALEX.

Edited by SHD
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

BTW, what was the correct answer to the Charlemagne question (the one where "Pepin the Short" was ruled correct, then incorrect when it was discovered PtS was the father & not the son)?

According to this Wikipedia article, his eldest son Carloman was made king of Italy and renamed "Pepin." This is not to be confused with another (possibly illegitimate) son named "Pepin the Hunchback." So I guess that if Jenny had said "Pepin" without adding "the Short," her answer would have stood, unless the judges decided to be really evil with a BMS.

The clue writers were obviously thinking of the musical Pippin, with that bit about "magic to do." This hardly seems fair, since the story in the musical was pretty much pure fiction, starting with the hero's name.

On another topic--I knew the TS of Seven Days in May. Highly recommended, especially if you like political thrillers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
55 minutes ago, SHD said:

But getting to say she ended up with $16,000 against James is way better bragging rights than $8000.

I get why he does it (sort of) but I feel like Alex is spending his intros sucking up to James, and it's getting on my nerves. Every episode doesn't need to begin with "Ode to James."  Not James' fault, but it is really reducing my enjoyment to start off being annoyed with Alex instead of looking forward to J!.

Edited by Ailianna
  • Love 7
32 minutes ago, Ailianna said:

I get why he does it (sort of) but I feel like Alex is spending his intros sucking up to James, and it's getting on my nerves. Every episode doesn't need to begin with "Ode to James."  Not James' fault, but it is really reducing my enjoyment to start off being annoyed with Alex instead of looking forward to J!.

I find that irritating as well, and was especially irked by Trebek ending the show, after commenting James is almost winning two million, with this sentence: "Join us tomorrow to find out how much closer he gets to two million."

That tells me James wins again tomorrow. WTH show. Trebek needs to shut it. It's all contributing to why I have lost all interest in this guy.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

That tells me James wins again tomorrow. WTH show. Trebek needs to shut it. It's all contributing to why I have lost all interest in this guy.

How would he know when he said that because the next game hadn’t been filmed unless it was dubbed in later which would be weird. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I find that irritating as well, and was especially irked by Trebek ending the show, after commenting James is almost winning two million, with this sentence: "Join us tomorrow to find out how much closer he gets to two million."

Well, I guess it could be zero closer. Major misdirect? Probably not though. 

8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I guess it could be zero closer. Major misdirect? Probably not though. 

He would be at least $1000 closer whatever happens. I doubt Alex can predict the future.

• Love 6