Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, SpiritSong said:

I'm sure I watched at least some of Ken Jennings' appearances, but it was so long ago I don't remember. Was there this amount of hostility towards him also?

There was a fair amount of hostility. I remember when his winning streak went over 20 that I began rooting for him to lose. Nothing against him personally, but I didn't like it that so many of his games were runaways and there was no suspense left in FJ. And even he didn't have as many runaway games at the time as James.

As for last night's game, I got the Sherman Brothers, swing, and Panacea. I was ready to cry when Liz missed that DD and felt bad that Alex kept rubbing it in that she wasn't playing well. Going for high dollar clues and betting big on the DD is the only way to have a chance against James.

I missed FJ, though, and felt ashamed because I'd lived in VA for eight years. I thought of Kansas ("Bleeding Kansas") or Missouri (because of the Missouri Compromise).

• Love 3

I watch jeopardy to test my own knowledge. I actually care very little for the contestants other than as vessels who uncover the questions I try to answer on my couch. However when a contestant goes on a streak like this, I actually start to enjoy it because it’s so unusual. 

I really don’t feel sorry for the other contestants. Prepare better if you want to win. That contestant who spent the show in the red and was booted for FJ? I don’t feel sorry for her nor do I want her or anyone else get a do over. That would be far more boring to me than watching someone like James.

• Love 21
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

He was being a tool. She knew she messed up, she didn't need AT to broadcast it to the world. AT very much dislikes players who do not know the answers. It is common for him to rank on them.

I think you might be projecting or something. I've never gotten that vibe from Alex.

• Love 8
11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

He was being a tool.

Ha!  I will admit there are times Alex can be a bit of a jerk, like that one time he called a contestant a loser when doing his little interview (something about a hobby of hers, can't remember).  I saw that jerkiness last night when the lady said make it a true daily double and he was like "that's not a true daily double but I get it" or something to that effect.  He's not a total asshole, so I always laugh when he's a little mean or ribs the contestants.  I find it funny.

• Love 5
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Alex even asked him two questions in yesterday's interview segment.  Come on, dude; of all contestants to use up two questions in one interview segment on, James is not it -- he's going to be around long enough the staff will be going crazy trying to come up with new things to ask him.

I said the same thing (even with the "dude") - I mean, it looks like he'll go on for quite awhile. They need a lot of life nuggets to mine for that segment.

17 hours ago, Moose135 said:

If other players adopt this method of game play and it becomes the norm, I think I would be less likely to watch in the future.  I guess I'm an old fart, but I don't really care for this style of play, whether it works for contestants or not.

What @Conotocarious said (below). I don't think it's age, as much as what aspect you're enjoying when you watch. I'm an old fart myself. But I've gone from disliking his method of playing to being impressed at the juggernaut that is James.

2 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I watch jeopardy to test my own knowledge. I actually care very little for the contestants other than as vessels who uncover the questions I try to answer on my couch. However when a contestant goes on a streak like this, I actually start to enjoy it because it’s so unusual.

I almost got to FJ - I was operating on 4 hours of sleep, so my answer was both of the states involved because my brain did not track the meaning of the question. So I would have had too much information, and that would be wrong, right?

• Love 2

Does anyone know if James will get to come back next season?  I want to be able to look forward to having a change of contestant.....

No - but if someone DID know, it would be in the spoiler thread and not here!

20 minutes ago, tvaddict44 said:

Does anyone know if James will get to come back next season?  I want to be able to look forward to having a change of contestant.....

If he hadn’t lost by the time they finished filming this season, yes he would be back. They aren’t going to kick him off just because the season ended.

Even when he does lose, he’ll be back for various champion events.

• Love 7

3) Bad luck for James on a DD where he bets big and gets it wrong.

This is what I think will happen. Either that, or Jeopardy producers will make a deal with him to retire 

Some time they could do a special tournament of buzzsaw victims who might have won if they had not been up against James.

dnfza5or6tz21.jpg

• LOL 16
Just now, bad things are bad said:

This is what I think will happen. Either that, or Jeopardy producers will make a deal with him to retire 

Not with these ratings. Their ratings dropped 27% during the Teacher Tournament. They were on their biggest ratings streak since Jennings before that. 

If the general public gets James fatigue and stops watching, then that will be a different story. I mean, I wouldn't stop watching even if I did hate the guy, because there are still 61 clues to answer every day, which is the main point.

• Love 16
25 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

Why didn't the gal in the middle just bet it all on FJ instead of Zero?  It was just her and James so she was guaranteed 2nd place. 

I don't know what that would have proved, either way it was pointless.

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I don't know what that would have proved, either way it was pointless.

And if she bet it all and was wrong, would she still be in second, would she have tied for third?

42 minutes ago, Katy M said:

And if she bet it all and was wrong, would she still be in second, would she have tied for third?

She would have been in second - tie breakers after FJ are based on the standings at the end of the DJ round.

• Useful 1
(edited)

The rule limiting champions to 5 consecutive wins changed back in 2003, so I suppose a limitation on wins could be imposed beginning with next season.  Otherwise it may be weeks, months, or years before we see a new champion.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3
16 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

I felt sad that the Sherman Brothers was a TS.  So many wonderful songs of my childhood are attributable to them ( and are now playing on a loop in my head).

At first I was surprised it was a TS, and then I was more surprised later when James got Saving Mr. Banks having not gotten the Sherman brothers. Although I suppose he saw the trailer/remembered the name of the movie and didn't necessarily see the movie...or saw it and blanked on their name.

The woman who got eliminated before FJ annoyed me because even if she didn't want to adopt James strategy going bottom up, if you're in the hole and have the choice, choose a clue that could get you out of the red or as close to it as possible. At a certain point, it wasn't possible because she was so in the hole and they'd nearly cleared the board...but there was a little while where she could've chosen a higher value clue and maybe by getting that right, gotten on the plus side. I wonder if she had no strategy or was just overwhelmed by the moment.

• Love 7
17 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

At first I was surprised it was a TS, and then I was more surprised later when James got Saving Mr. Banks having not gotten the Sherman brothers. Although I suppose he saw the trailer/remembered the name of the movie and didn't necessarily see the movie...

That's what happened to me.  I didn't see the movie, but I saw the trailers, and I had no idea who wrote the songs for the movie.  I said the Warner Brothers, LOL, though I clearly knew that wasn't right.

1 hour ago, zoey1996 said:

The rule limiting champions to 5 consecutive wins changed back in 2003, so I suppose a limitation on wins could be imposed beginning with next season.  Otherwise it may be weeks, months, or years before we see a new champion.

But, I would think James would have to be grandfathered re: any rules that limit length of play.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Conotocarious said:

I really don’t feel sorry for the other contestants. Prepare better if you want to win. That contestant who spent the show in the red and was booted for FJ? I don’t feel sorry for her nor do I want her or anyone else get a do over. That would be far more boring to me than watching someone like James.

I watch game shows to test my own knowledge not for a certain contestant. I'm thrilled if get a question that James doesn't. I bet there are more contestants trying out hoping to be a giant killer. 

• Love 5

“Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you got till it’s gone?”

Tonight made me realize that I’m taking James for granted, as I was nervous and did not want it to be over.  I’m enjoying this reign too much!   I argue with my brother about this all the time, because he finds the dominance boring and is ready for someone new. I don’t agree but was starting to have mixed emotions, feeling bad for the other players, etc.

But tonight opened my eyes again, I want him to win!  I find it exciting. Plus Alex also finds it exciting and considering the dire circumstances, if it makes Alex happy that’s good enough for me, even if I didn’t care for James myself 

Go James, long may you reign!

• Love 21
(edited)

That was a fantastic game!  I think James is more susceptible to losing than Ken was at this point. Folks have figured out his advantage with DD and those brave enough are starting to think of $ totals during the game as basically point totals.  Got to let old thinking go. 

Edited by pennben
  • Love 8
(edited)

My station gave me a rerun. I am in shock.

Edited: false alarm, I think I messed up something on the phone app. Watching the right one now.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, opus said:

I wondered which way I’d go the next time it was close, and I found myself pulling for James.

Not me. I was like "Please get it wrong, please get it wrong, please get it wrong."  Oh well.

I got it wrong.  I know nothing about Jazz.  I said Ease on Down the Boulevard. I had a feeling it wasn't right.

I did get bind though.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Katy M said:

Not me. I was like "Please get it wrong, please get it wrong, please get it wrong."  Oh well.

I got it wrong.  I know nothing about Jazz.  I said Ease on Down the Boulevard. I had a feeling it wasn't right.

I did get bind though.

Good for you! Even after the answer was revealed, it took me a minute to figure out how it fit the clue.

Poor guy on the right would have been a formidable champion in any other universe.

And WV, represent! Two shows in a row!

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, opus said:

I wondered which way I’d go the next time it was close, and I found myself pulling for James.

When Nate failed to go for the KO I felt he kinda deserved to lose. He had it, he saw how James operates and adapted very quickly and had him on the ropes. He should have ensured his victory but he played too safe. James didn’t beat him, he essentially beat himself. 

• Love 11

Rats!  So close, and yet so far away.  If James hadn’t hit that DD, he’d have been toast.  And since he was ahead going into FJ (and since he always bets big), end guy didn’t have a chance unless James missed FJ.  Oh well.  I was rooting for you, end guy, even though I don’t remember your name right now!

I got FJ — almost an instaget, and I second-guessed myself, but couldn’t think of anything else that might fit.

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Rats!  So close, and yet so far away.  If James hadn’t hit that DD, he’d have been toast.  And since he was ahead going into FJ (and since he always bets big), end guy didn’t have a chance unless James missed FJ.  Oh well.  I was rooting for you, end guy, even though I don’t remember your name right now!

I got FJ — almost an instaget, and I second-guessed myself, but couldn’t think of anything else that might fit.

His name was Nate. I thought he did well and was finally a bit of competition for James, which made the game more enjoyable. 

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Was totally rooting for James...was literally sweating

Same...was literally on the edge of my seat.  Nate did really well.  He and Adam have been the only two in nearly a month to even come close to beating James.  That's amazing.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Rbonnie said:

“Don’t it always seem to go, that you don’t know what you got till it’s gone?”

Tonight made me realize that I’m taking James for granted, as I was nervous and did not want it to be over.  I’m enjoying this reign too much!   I argue with my brother about this all the time, because he finds the dominance boring and is ready for someone new. I don’t agree but was starting to have mixed emotions, feeling bad for the other players, etc.

But tonight opened my eyes again, I want him to win!  I find it exciting. Plus Alex also finds it exciting and considering the dire circumstances, if it makes Alex happy that’s good enough for me, even if I didn’t care for James myself 

Go James, long may you reign!

Your post made me laugh out loud, because it's a mirror image of how things are between me and my brother! I'm the one that is rooting for the Nates and Adams to show up and take James out, yet my brother is captivated by James' dominance. 

I do agree with you about Alex. While I feel he's too much bending at the knee towards James , I do appreciate that Alex is enjoying this. My macabre thought is what if James goes on for so long and Alex is too ill to host....or even worse.....then he would never get to see how it turns out. That amplifies my wish for James to shortly lose to some spectacular player, or even to a one-and-done.

• Love 5
(edited)

Thank goodness for a competitive game!  That brings the total to a whopping two, but every little bit helps.  I think James enjoyed it, too - that thumbs up he gave Nate at the end of DJ was nice.

Bind was quite a surprising TS, given the category and how great two of the players had been performing.  FJ was an instaget for me, and I felt sure James and Nate were both going to get it right, but didn't have a prediction on Laura, because she'd been able to answer so few compared to the others I didn't have the slightest sense of her knowledge base.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Did anyone else think that Nate looks a lot like Artie Lange (well, a younger Artie Lange before he blew out his nose and became the even hotter mess he is right now)? I was kind of mesmerized by the similarity.

D0211B86-03CF-4B6D-B87D-02A461D1BEBF.png.8a6c254ee93a7e19c7f67cdf3d7b037d.png

C76D254B-744A-49FC-9269-5E05FDDEFC5D.jpeg.94d23cc9a2aa09c79dec3f472f107016.jpeg

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I pre-guessed Take Five, but once the clue was revealed I immediately knew it was Take the A Train.

I didn't have any TSs. I kinda almost sorta got 'bind' but something with how the clue was worded thru me off. I'll have to read it again. I was thinking 'binding.'

Finally, a nail-biter. I was surprised at how nervous I was that James would lose.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

I felt the same way during Ken's winning streak.

I’m still waiting for our tournament of the Kenvictims. 

Damn, FJ has been super easy this week. 

• Love 4
44 minutes ago, Booney said:

Did anyone else think that Nate looks a lot like Artie Lange (well, a younger Artie Lange before he blew out his nose and became the even hotter mess he is right now)? I was kind of mesmerized by the similarity.

D0211B86-03CF-4B6D-B87D-02A461D1BEBF.png.8a6c254ee93a7e19c7f67cdf3d7b037d.png

C76D254B-744A-49FC-9269-5E05FDDEFC5D.jpeg.94d23cc9a2aa09c79dec3f472f107016.jpeg

I totally thought that!  

14 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m still waiting for our tournament of the Kenvictims. 

Damn, FJ has been super easy this week. 

That FJ was easy because it was written in that give away the answer style. 

• Love 2

I really enjoyed the Musicals from Literature category tonight - it's been added to my list of dream categories should I ever be lucky enough to qualify for the show. 

My favorite clue mentioned Big River which I got to see in the original production (the cast included a young John Goodman) and then again about 16 years ago with a combined hearing and hearing impaired cast that gave one of my favorite Broadway performances ever, going from singing to signing effortlessly and effectively. One song caused both Mother Grundoon and me to burst into tears (we weren't alone).

Since James ran most of the category, I was rooting for him in FJ.  He also seemed to be showing good sportsmanship even when he was trailing Nate.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

On the "exercise" TS I wasn't sure what the clue was aiming for. I knew it was some form of exercise but for some reason thought they were looking for something more specific.

I did, too, to the point my brain somehow interpreted the clue as having said exercise, so I tried to remember the specific one and couldn't.

• Love 3

That was a fun game! I knew how it was going to turn out (Laura has been on Reddit today answering questions and talking about the experience), but I still enjoyed watching. James really seemed to respect Nate. He said on his Facebook page that he would love to see a match between Nate, Adam, and Satish and included a screenshot of the moment when Nate had 3x his score. 

I bombed FJ.

• Love 2