Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 35 (2018-2019)

Athena
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

So, unless I've missed it (which is entirely possible), all we know about Emily is that she's a "professor" in Swarthmore, PA.  Google helped me find that she's a Russian language prof at Swarthmore College.  I'm curious why she's been so vague in her introductions/interviews. 

I also thought it was possible she was expecting or post-partum. If she's pregnant, or just had a baby, she could be on leave. Also, it said she was a "visiting" professor, which could mean she's essentially an adjunct, so not teaching right now. Again, possibly baby-related.

With all the pecan praline pronunciation postings, I don't even know how to say those words any more. If I run into them in a shop, I will point and say, "A dozen of those, please." And if I make some, I don't need to call them anything but delicious. Pecan praline problem solved.

• Love 5

FJ: I got the correct rivers, and they reminded me that one line of my ancestors lived near the confluence of the Rhine and Moselle rivers. Whenever I think of them, I feel thirsty. (Wine country.)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

Last night I was watching a The Good Wife rerun while The Good Place (ha to those almost-the-same titles) was on the other channel.

Good thing (ha) The Good Doctor is on a different night.

• Love 5

If it's wrong that I thought of the Holy Hand Grenade for the clue about Antioch, I don't want to be right! 

I can't believe the guy missed Hamilton.  I've never seen it, never heard the soundtrack, and probably won't do either for a long while (what I get for living in the back of beyond), and I knew it.  I guess it's another easy if you know it clue.  I also got atrium, Great Communicator, and atmospheres.

FJ took me about half a second, but that was just to bring the Latin for iron to the front of my brain.  Once I had just the Fe part, it was easy.

I did miss the "E" city on the coast of Mexico, but only because The Love Boat never went there that I recall.  :)

• Love 5

I had boudoir and the Great Communicator.  Ran the Sports category.  Knowledge of the Periodic Table of Elements came in handy (again), this time for FJ.

Former champ's dress had a pattern that made me think of the Autostereogram 3D puzzles that were popular in the 90s,  Those were the puzzles where if you looked at them cross-eyed or blurred your vision, the 3D image would pop right out at you.  I could see 3D there.

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I can't believe the guy missed Hamilton.  I've never seen it, never heard the soundtrack

My husband didn't know Hamilton (we listened to the soundtrack on a car trip).  He also didn't know (we watched Fresh off the Boat after Jeopardy) that there's a stereotype that Asians are bad drivers. Now I'm wondering what don't know!

• Love 4

Another champ is the victim of the three-day-win-and-then-you-lose syndrome. There has to be something about brain power vs. that period of time playing one game after another.

At least everyone here curious about the champ being pregnant got their answer before she left.

Again with the Hamilton clue/answer. Contestants have been warned here to see that before they go on the show.

Yeah, FDR was a real bust. If the champ hadn't answered that (FDR looks so strikingly different than any other prez!) wrong, she might have lived to play another day.

I said Fiat for FJ because I just finished writing an article on a 290-hp Fiat race car that was imported from Italy in 1908 and was raced by a major company; it broke records from coast to coast. It almost topped 100 mph! Coming back to modern times though, boyfriends who did not have MGs had Fiat sports cars and they were tin-can POCs. If I hadn't done all that research on the Fiat imported race car, I might have come up with Ferarri. Might have.

29 minutes ago, GenerationX said:

Those were the puzzles where if you looked at them cross-eyed or blurred your vision, the 3D image would pop right out at you.  I could see 3D there.

There was a Seinfeld episode about that, when Elaine worked for Mr. Pitt. I'll bet @opus knows that one.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

I thought the picture was Woodrow Wilson, obviously wrong. 

But a better guess than FDR. 

Was she $400 ahead and was that a $400 question?  Best just to not even try.  At worst you end up tied going into FJ. 

I had one of those "3D" posters in the 1990s that was fake.  You could stare all you want but there was no picture, but people didn't know that.  I always hated those things because I could never see the pictures. 

I need to read up on my 1st and 2nd century Roman Emperors for this show.  One of the most common topics 

And I say "pray-leens".  And refuse to change even if its wrong.  So hard to say it the other way. 

• Love 1

I learned two things from this episode: 1) Horton, of Horton Hears a Who! fame, is an elephant (I know the title as one of the Dr. Seuss books, but that wasn’t one of the ones I read, and I’d never given any thought to who/what Horton is) and 2) Paisley is named for a Scottish town.  I got both of those based on the rest of the two clues, but I did not know those specific facts.  Actually, three things, now that I think about it -- I did not know Jeremy Irons had a son who is also an actor.

Atrium was a little surprising as a TS, as well as The Great Communicator.  Maybe atmospheres and Ampere, too, but, eh -- I wasn't particularly struck by anything going unanswered tonight.  I was bugged by some clue values, though -- the Alexander Graham Bell and earthquake clues belonged in the first round.  And render, too, I suppose, since if I know a Bible quote, it’s not worth DJ dollars.

Wow, how embarrassing to confuse Truman for FDR.  I felt sorry for her.

FJ was pure guess based on the elements of the clue, rather than knowing the fact at hand, but it was an instaget and one I was secure in.

• Love 4

I'm sure Emily's response of FDR was a complete misspeak. She certainly knew that was Truman.

I got atrium and The Great Communicator. Instead of Ensenada, I said Escondido. Doh! I also got ampere, but that was a complete shot-in-the-dark guess.

For the Butch Cassidy DD, I said The Hole in the Wall Gang. I wonder if that would have been accepted. I know that Paul Newman was inspired by the movie to name his camp The Hole in the Wall Gang.

FJ was an instaget.

1 minute ago, Bastet said:

I did not know Jeremy Irons had a son who is also an actor.

I discovered that when I watched The White Queen. Max Irons played Edward IV.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

Instead of Ensenada, I said Escondido.

I did, too, and then corrected myself in time.  I live in Los Angeles, but I don't do cruises.  So I have the increased geographical knowledge that comes from proximity, but the popular port aspect comes from friends/neighbors talking about their Mexican cruises, not personal experience; it evened out to me getting it wrong, but then doing a "No, wait" correction as time went on without any of the contestants ringing in. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

There was a Seinfeld episode about that, when Elaine worked for Mr. Pitt. I'll bet @opus knows that one.

Thanks for putting the image of a topless George Costanza leaving the bathroom in my head.

Nice way to start the weekend  :)

• Love 1
22 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

I had a bad day, completely striking out on the Flowers category and missing lots of other answers that the contestants got (I am sure my mom, a certified master gardener, got all the flowers right). I did get Dreyers, Scott Turow, Peloponnesian, and Buddhism, but missed FJ with the Rhine and the Main. 

I knew it was the Rhine, and thought of the Main, but dismissed it after realizing they weren't 350 miles apart. For some reason I think of the Danube as being mostly Austrian, so I hesitated, but I got both of them in time. I did know that the Rhone was France (and apparently, Switzerland, thanks @MrAtoz). Generally my river game is very weak. So I was happy I got it.

I was already thinking Ferrari when reading the first part of the FJ clue, because I don't care about cars, but I knew it was Italian. Then the connection to iron sealed the deal.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I'm sure Emily's response of FDR was a complete misspeak. She certainly knew that was Truman.

Yes to that. She was already succumbing to three-time-champ fatigue.

46 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

For the Butch Cassidy DD, I said The Hole in the Wall Gang.

I did too! From watching the movie a zillion times. I am positive we were correct.

36 minutes ago, opus said:

Thanks for putting the image of a topless George Costanza leaving the bathroom in my head.

Nice way to start the weekend  :)

Anything for a friend! Just don't toss any pastries in the trashcan this weekend and you'll be okay.

30 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I was already thinking Ferrari when reading the first part of the FJ clue, because I don't care about cars, but I knew it was Italian. Then the connection to iron sealed the deal.

And I learned Geraldine Ferraro's last name is Italian for "blacksmith." True!

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 5

For the Butch Cassidy DD, I said The Hole in the Wall Gang. I wonder if that would have been accepted.

Hmmm... The Hole in the Wall gang included Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch, so my guess is that Alex would say no, and then, later, the judges would say okay ;-)

I've been writing Frontier Fiction. Research is lots of fun. In my Colorado saga (1893-1923) one of my outlaw characters is Cherokee Bill, active in the 90s -- same time as Kid Curry, Black Jack Ketchum, and the Wild Bunch.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

Hmmm... The Hole in the Wall gang included Butch Cassidy's Wild Bunch, so my guess is that Alex would say no, and then, later, the judges would say okay ;-)

Hole in the Wall Gang here, too.

6 hours ago, Mystery Author said:

same time as Kid Curry, Black Jack Ketchum, and the Wild Bunch.

Kid Curry from "Alias Smith and Jones"?  Didn't know he was a real guy!

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:
43 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

Kid Curry from "Alias Smith and Jones"?  Didn't know he was a real guy!

Now there's a blast from the past. I had such a crush on Ben Murphy (though I didn't remember he played Kid Curry).

Aw, now I was all about Peter Duel.  His suicide broke my heart -- I was 12 or 13, and he was probably one of the first celebrity suicides I was aware of.

20 hours ago, Kathira said:

also thought it was possible she was expecting or post-partum. If she's pregnant, or just had a baby, she could be on leave. Also, it said she was a "visiting" professor, which could mean she's essentially an adjunct, so not teaching right now. Again, possibly baby-related.

Post-partum.  She learned she was pregnant right after her audition, when the "nervous stomach" turned out to be morning sickness!  She said the show was taping "a year later" so presumably her daughter was 3 or 4 months old..

11 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I had one of those "3D" posters in the 1990s that was fake.  You could stare all you want but there was no picture, but people didn't know that.  I always hated those things because I could never see the pictures. 

Oh, come and sit next to me.  I always figured people who claimed to see those pictures were trolling the rest of us!  Or maybe some sort of "Emperor's New Clothes" phenomenon, where they don't want to admit they can't see it.  When we were talking about distracting clothing patterns the other day (Lauren's tummy bow, etc....) I remembered when I taped my WWTBAM show (way back in April, 2000!  Where did  the time go?!)  I wanted to wear my "lucky" pinstriped dress, the one I was wearing when I "got the call."  Think "railroad engineer hat" or "mattress ticking."  The contestant coordinator took one look at it and said "fahgeddabahtit!"  I ended up going with a solid red top and a nice scarf.  Not that I spent much time on camera since I never got to the Hot Seat, of course! 

rof.jpg

• Love 10
15 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I can't believe the guy missed Hamilton.  I've never seen it, never heard the soundtrack, and probably won't do either for a long while (what I get for living in the back of beyond), and I knew it.

He's from Prince Edward Island, so the back of beyond in a different country.  If there are any PEI'ers here, please don't throw potatoes at me:)

My ts's were boudoir and ampere.

Instaget FJ.

I like Jonathan, hope he wins a few more games.  And I hope I haven't jinxed him.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Trey said:

He's from Prince Edward Island, so the back of beyond in a different country.  If there are any PEI'ers here, please don't throw potatoes at me:)

Good point -- I'd forgotten that!  And that's someplace I'd really like to visit, too. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

I did, too, and then corrected myself in time.  I live in Los Angeles, but I don't do cruises.  So I have the increased geographical knowledge that comes from proximity, but the popular port aspect comes from friends/neighbors talking about their Mexican cruises, not personal experience; it evened out to me getting it wrong, but then doing a "No, wait" correction as time went on without any of the contestants ringing in. 

I, too, live in the LA area. I've been on one cruise, up the coast to San Francisco, then back down to Ensenada, then home. I wish I had realized I confused Escondido with Ensenada before time was up.

11 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And I learned Geraldine Ferraro's last name is Italian for "blacksmith." True!

I did not know that. Cool cool cool.

2 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I said Hole in the Wall gang also,  but the clue referenced a Sam Peckinpah film, so it wouldn’t be accepted.

Oh. Hiss boo. I don't remember that part of the clue.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, The Wild Sow said:

Aw, now I was all about Peter Duel.  His suicide broke my heart -- I was 12 or 13, and he was probably one of the first celebrity suicides I was aware of.

Post-partum.  She learned she was pregnant right after her audition, when the "nervous stomach" turned out to be morning sickness!  She said the show was taping "a year later" so presumably her daughter was 3 or 4 months old..

Oh, come and sit next to me.  I always figured people who claimed to see those pictures were trolling the rest of us!  Or maybe some sort of "Emperor's New Clothes" phenomenon, where they don't want to admit they can't see it.  When we were talking about distracting clothing patterns the other day (Lauren's tummy bow, etc....) I remembered when I taped my WWTBAM show (way back in April, 2000!  Where did  the time go?!)  I wanted to wear my "lucky" pinstriped dress, the one I was wearing when I "got the call."  Think "railroad engineer hat" or "mattress ticking."  The contestant coordinator took one look at it and said "fahgeddabahtit!"  I ended up going with a solid red top and a nice scarf.  Not that I spent much time on camera since I never got to the Hot Seat, of course! 

rof.jpg

I had a smaller crush on Duel, but I might have blocked some of it out of my mind. I was so sad about his death.

Are you talking about the Magic Eye things? I never could see them, but my husband and kids could. I figured maybe it had something the fact that I have trouble distinguishing colors in parts of the blue/green spectrum.

• Love 1

I'll miss Emily. Bet she is kicking herself over FDR, but based on their FJ wagers, Jonathan would have won anyway. 

The only TS I got were boudoir & atrium. 

We said Hole in the Wall Gang at casa Toothbrush. The filmmaker wouldn't have had made any difference for us TBH. 

I could never see the hidden pictures in the magic eye posters either. A friend told me that people who have astigmatisms cannot see them, but I have no idea if that is true or not. 

1 hour ago, Trey said:

It's a beautiful province.

It really is. 

10 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Well, nothin' says, "Santa's been here" like a new vacuum.

Also -  "Santa's in big trouble" lol

• Love 6

I remember hearing the news the morning Pete Duel died. I was shocked. Also, hours before the news I dreamt that Ben Murphy had died. I'm thinking the radio was on while I slept, and I put that into a dream.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Toothbrush said:

I could never see the hidden pictures in the magic eye posters either. A friend told me that people who have astigmatisms cannot see them, but I have no idea if that is true or not.

Well, I do have astigmatisms. So, that's another data point.

12 minutes ago, peeayebee said:

I remember hearing the news the morning Pete Duel died. I was shocked. Also, hours before the news I dreamt that Ben Murphy had died. I'm thinking the radio was on while I slept, and I put that into a dream.

Spooky.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

Are you talking about the Magic Eye things? I never could see them, but my husband and kids could. I figured maybe it had something the fact that I have trouble distinguishing colors in parts of the blue/green spectr

Yeah.  I have good color vision but at my age, I'm very nearsighted AND farsighted (I wear TRI-focals!)  I don't think I have astigmatism, although my dad did.  Just had an annual diabetic eye checkup and everything was good except for a very early cataract in my left eye.  One of my best friends just had surgery for hers, and she ended up being in the 1% or so of people for whom it not only didn't work, but it made her vision much, much worse!  Scares the heck out of me :-(

I was never able to see those Magic Eye thingies at all, even 20 plus years ago before my vision got as bad as it is now.  I still think people who say they see them are trolling us!

• Love 3

On FJ, I got hung up on the name being really popular and ruled out Ferrari, but seeing the reference here to Ferraro makes more sense. Oh, well, I got three right this week. 

I did get Boudoir, Hamilton, Great Communicator, The Wild Bunch, and Julia Ward Howe.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

I remember hearing the news the morning Pete Duel died. I was shocked.

Geez, I didn't know Duel killed himself. Alias Smith and Jones reruns were being played here a while back. I was a fan of that show. There were a lot of westerns then, and every one of them had a handsome cowboy as an accessory for me to crush on. Too many to list! Although that would be a good Jeopardy category, Sexy Sidekicks. Although it probably isn't proper to use "sexy" in any title anymore.

42 minutes ago, The Wild Sow said:

I was never able to see those Magic Eye thingies at all, even 20 plus years ago before my vision got as bad as it is now.  I still think people who say they see them are trolling us!

I could see most of the images in those Magic Eye posters. Maybe that's because I went to art college and easily got a BFA. Not that I would ever troll anyone. *cough*

Love your red audition top, Wild Sow. When I was a movie extra, we were told to wear solid-colored tops. I wore plaid pants, which freaked out some of the other extras, but our role was to sit in a baseball stadium so no one ever saw my trou. I was in a "special" group that got craft services and were paid extra-extra. Disappointing though, when I saw the movie in the theater afterward (we had a big premiere here) I didn't see myself even once. Still, nice money for sitting around doing crosswords all day. One day I brought my camera and took pictures of the crew and stars while they were filming (not filming extras). Also got autographs that I have no idea where they are now.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 3

Just dvr'd the week shows.  Sounds like I'm the only one glad Emily is gone.  She had a habit of giving out an 'ah' when there were ts's or her answers were wrong.  Drove me absolutely nuts

• Love 2

I have high myopia and astigmatism, but I usually could see the Magic Eye things.  It helped me a lot if the pictures were behind glass or laminated -- then I could focus on the glass or the shiny surface instead of the actual print of the picture, and the hidden image would appear.  It didn't always work, but it was a fairly reliable method.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

I have astigmatism, am severely near-sighted and have one eye that is significantly dominant over the other, but as long as I am wearing my glasses, I can see the hidden pictures fairly easily.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, secnarf said:

I have astigmatism, am severely near-sighted and have one eye that is significantly dominant over the other, but as long as I am wearing my glasses, I can see the hidden pictures fairly easily.

Once I learned to just un-focus on the painting, I saw the Magic Eye thingies OK, too. Right eye has astigmatism, myopic in both eyes. Wearing spectacles since 1969.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Once I learned to just un-focus on the painting, I saw the Magic Eye thingies OK, too. Right eye has astigmatism, myopic in both eyes. Wearing spectacles since 1969.

Unfocusing doesn't work for me. I mean, I can (and do) unfocus my vision for any number of reasons - but even so, I never saw the hidden pictures in the Magic Eye stuff. I'm very near sighted with at least one astigmatism (I don't listen, I just want to get the hell out of there, I hate getting my eyes checked). Started wearing specs in '64. 

• Love 2

I worked at Waldenbooks when those Magic Eye books were popular and kept trying to see the damn picture but never managed to. (Eyes have widely different prescriptions but are both severely astigmatic. Been wearing glasses since 1970, but should have been in them since birth, but they didn’t do that for kids back then. Love my current eye doctor—been going to him for 20 years now.)

Back to Jeopardy, I really don’t know how I missed that FJ of Ferrari! I really have to bone up on my elements, geography, and opera/classical music before taking the test.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Sharpie66 said:

Back to Jeopardy, I really don’t know how I missed that FJ of Ferrari! I really have to bone up on my elements, geography, and opera/classical music before taking the test.

I'm terrible at the elements, but iron just happens to be one that I have rock solid, as it were. So I was able to figure it out.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 2:42 PM, Browncoat said:

We have the Dyson hand dryers where I work, and they actually work really well.  Much, much better than the usual ones.  But the industrial Dyson hand dryers in Gatwick airport are the best I've used -- stick your hands in, pull them out slowly, and your hands are dry! 

I hate them.  I find they take longer than the turbo ones, and much, much longer than a paper towel would.

I missed Thursday's game because, although I set my vcr for the right time, I forgot to set a reminder on my satellite box, and instead I got the CBS Evening News.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 1:03 AM, Mystery Author said:

Modern as in Wuthering Heights? ;-)

I forgot to mention that Liz up close is as drop-dead gorgeous as she was on the screen. Even though, in the Burton-Hamlet-Days, she was a tad zoftig.

If I wrote that my character had violet eyes, would anyone believe me?

Elizabeth had 'em. Honest-to-god blue-violet.

Never saw him in Wuthering Heights.  I find it hard to picture him in that.  More modern, as in 20th century stuff.  Although I had no problem with him in Beckett, so who knows.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

I did miss the "E" city on the coast of Mexico, but only because The Love Boat never went there that I recall.  :)

Me too, lol.

• Love 2

FJ took me about half a second, but that was just to bring the Latin for iron to the front of my brain.  Once I had just the Fe part, it was easy.

Alex hadn't even finished reading the clue before I was shouting Ferrari - I lust after those cars, particularly the 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder once owned by James Coburn.

I can't believe the guy missed Hamilton.  I've never seen it, never heard the soundtrack, and probably won't do either for a long while (what I get for living in the back of beyond), and I knew it. 

I had no idea because I've never heard the titles of any of the songs from Hamilton.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, saber5055 said:

Again with the Hamilton clue/answer. Contestants have been warned here to see that before they go on the show.

I hate hip-hop, so never seeing it.

I got boudoir, even though I wasn't 100% sure about it.

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, peeayebee said:

For the Butch Cassidy DD, I said The Hole in the Wall Gang. I wonder if that would have been accepted. I know that Paul Newman was inspired by the movie to name his camp The Hole in the Wall Gang.

Nope, because the clue referenced the Sam Peckinpah movie The Wild Bunch.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate them.  I find they take longer than the turbo ones, and much, much longer than a paper towel would.

I think they are hilarious, it is fun to watch my hands flap. But I hear the hot air driers spread germs. So I use paper towels. Or toilet paper if they don't give you an option.

59 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate hip-hop, so never seeing it.

I am not a fan of hip hop, but my daughter introduced me to Hamilton, and I loved it. The energy is incredible, it blows the dust off of history and makes it fresh. Mileage varies, of course.

• Love 2

So I use paper towels

So do I. My problem is if they have one of those "touchless" (where you wave under some electronic eye) paper towel dispensers. Those things hate me---I practically have to do a dance to get those things to work--no trouble with the automatic faucets, just the paper towels.

• Love 3
On 11/2/2018 at 8:45 AM, MrAtoz said:

Just a tip, if you ever find yourself in a situation where naming German rivers is important. :-)  The Rhone is in Switzerland and France, but not Germany.  The other big German river is the one Emily guessed, the Elbe.

I did not know that about the Rhone, which is why I said Rhine and Rhone as the two rivers.

I am not a fan of hip hop, but my daughter introduced me to Hamilton, and I loved it. The energy is incredible, it blows the dust off of history and makes it fresh. Mileage varies, of course.

We saw it last week, and it was amazing.

The nuts are "pee-cans" and are used to make "puh-con" pie...

• Love 2

Harry Potter?  Really?  At least he knew it was a goofy guess.  FJ was an instaget for me -- one day I might even have to read it. 

I hated Mary Ann's top -- I know that cold shoulder style is a thing, but I will never like it.  Still, I'm glad she won instead of Jonathan (who randomly wouldn't start at the tops of categories), and Gerald, who apparently doesn't understand the phrase "indoor voice".  I did appreciate Gerald's true daily double, even though it didn't work out for him.

The only TS I got were column and Mammoth.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I hated Mary Ann's top -- I know that cold shoulder style is a thing...

It just should not be a thing. Ugh. Horrible on everyone. My husband asked me why women wear those shirts with holes in them. I have no answer. But she was a good competitor. Radio Ga Ga! 

• Love 14