Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

I think the Crisis is probably going to focus more on Barry/Oliver interactions again. Oliver with having to leave his child and Barry with his daughter being erased from the timeline. I bet Sara will be teamed up with SG to celebrate the "girl power" type of dynamic. 

Honestly the only interactions i want to see is Oliver with his grown up daughter and son, which i hope appear in the crossover.

• Love 2
On 5/27/2019 at 1:41 AM, Velocity23 said:

I am tired of Arrow having to give more room to the cast from other shows. Arrow has to close chapters for its own characters, and it seems the Legends character always come on Arrow for the heavy stuff so they can be carefree on their own show.

Honestly I’d rather Oliver crossover to Legends.

And I agree that Oliver will probably spend most of his time with Barry, I think Kara will be with Kate. 

• Love 1
On 5/27/2019 at 1:41 AM, Velocity23 said:

it seems the Legends character always come on Arrow for the heavy stuff so they can be carefree on their own show.

This is a good point.  Frankly, I think it did a disservice to Sara not letting her have a reaction to her father's death on her show.  That said, her visit to Arrow this season was great and left me wanting more.  And mourning for what we will never get more of.  

I hope they let the Legends be a much bigger part of the crossover.  I need something to make me care more since i feel so much dread about what is likely to happen to Oliver.  

• Love 3

I actually watch all the shows EXCEPT Arrow, so I was waiting to get back in here until I could watch that finale.  Now that I had a chance over the long weekend, I still think what I originally thought: Oliver is going to effectively be the Monitor's right-hand man, filling the role that Lyta / Harbinger did in the original comics.  He may get to strike the final blow against the Anti-Monitor, and be rewarded with a chance to go into the Pocket Universe as Kal-L and his Lois did in the original series.

So far as moving Crisis up, I'm not bothered.  I was never truly hung up on the idea that "the Flash series finale will be when he dies in Crisis!"  I read Crisis as it originally came out, and DC really had two aims for it:

1. Get rid of the Multiverse because it was confusing to new readers.  It wasn't so bad when Earth-2 just showed up in the occasional crossover, but in the 70's DC had started a few books that were set over there, and I don't think they made a point of telling the readers which Earth they were on in any given issue.  So you could buy two DC books, and one would have Hawkman in a yellow cowl, and the other would have him in the full Hawk outfit, and wtf?  So, merge the worlds and eliminate the Earth-2 dopplegangers of Earth-1 heroes.
  2. Kill off characters they didn't want to use going forward or wanted to rework.  Barry's book had fallen into a morass in its last 18 months or so, as what had always been one of their most lighthearted books had turned to the unending Trial of Barry Allen.  So they decided to let him go, and let Wally become their first third-generation hero.  Supergirl, of course, was lost due to the desire to have Clark truly be the "Last Son of Krypton".

Merging the worlds is one thing I hope for from the miniseries, so Kara winds up on the same planet with Barry and the others.  Letting Ray be the Atom and do his thing is another, since he so rarely gets to do it on Legends.  I don't see either Barry or Kara dying during the story; those shows aren't going anywhere and Keiynan isn't going to come back to take over the mantle of The Flash.  But what I most want is for the miniseries to do the book justice.  I don't see that it's going to be an exact remake of the original, not even close (that one had like 5 different mini-climaxes before the end), but if you're going to take on the title of Crisis on Infinite Earths, you had damn well create the Biggest Thing Ever.

So far as disrupting the regular storylines on the shows, I am thoroughly unbothered.  Most of the ongoing and big bad type stuff annoys me more than it entertains anyway.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Merging the worlds is one thing I hope for from the miniseries, so Kara winds up on the same planet with Barry and the others.  Letting Ray be the Atom and do his thing is another, since he so rarely gets to do it on Legends.  I don't see either Barry or Kara dying during the story; those shows aren't going anywhere and Keiynan isn't going to come back to take over the mantle of The Flash.  But what I most want is for the miniseries to do the book justice.  I don't see that it's going to be an exact remake of the original, not even close (that one had like 5 different mini-climaxes before the end), but if you're going to take on the title of Crisis on Infinite Earths, you had damn well create the Biggest Thing Ever.

If I had to bet on anything, I’d definitely put money on Earth-38 merging with Earth-1. I’m not sure how The Flash would deal with losing the multiverse, since that’s their source of the various iterations of Harrison Wells. Maybe Earth-1 and Earth-38 are the only two that merge.

I think the fact that this will be 5 episodes long and there will be a cliffhanger that spans the winter hiatus is their attempt at making this crossover feel bigger than past crossovers that were completed in a week.

• Love 1

From this interview with Hartley Sawyer:

There’s another huge crossover event — Crisis on Infinite Earths — coming in the fall. Is there anything you can tease about it?

Hartley Sawyer: I know pretty much as the fans know because they’re sorting all of that stuff out right now. My understanding of it is that this one that’s coming up next year is I believe going to be the crossover to end all crossovers. It’s my understanding this is going to be the biggest crossover that we’ve ever done. There’s going to be a lot going on.

10 hours ago, MarkHB said:

But what I most want is for the miniseries to do the book justice.  I don't see that it's going to be an exact remake of the original, not even close (that one had like 5 different mini-climaxes before the end), but if you're going to take on the title of Crisis on Infinite Earths, you had damn well create the Biggest Thing Ever.

It's a different medium, so yeah it's going to be different anyway. I haven't read the books (or even a summary!), but I feel like with the CW/DC shows lowered expectations is the way to go, because ::gestures toward every comic story they've adapted::.

---

Anybody else think that there will have to be some type of time jump on Batwoman to sync up to the crossover(s)? That series' setting (at least the pilot) is before Elseworlds.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/29/2019 at 10:43 AM, BaggythePanther said:

If I had to bet on anything, I’d definitely put money on Earth-38 merging with Earth-1. I’m not sure how The Flash would deal with losing the multiverse, since that’s their source of the various iterations of Harrison Wells. Maybe Earth-1 and Earth-38 are the only two that merge.

I didn't even think of this, but I hope ALL the Earths merge and that is the end of the "wacky" new version of Wells every season. 

• Love 1

One group we haven't seen at all yet are the Weaponers of Qward. They're kind of important because they're the easiest way to introduce the Anti-matter Universe, which is where both they and the Anti-Monitor come from. Of course, they could take a shortcut and say that their Anti-Monitor comes from Earth-X, I suppose. Or the Weaponers could be a one or two episode foe for Supergirl.

I believe going to be the crossover to end all crossovers. It’s my understanding this is going to be the biggest crossover that we’ve ever done. 

Ugh. Every year is ALWAY the biggest crossover they've ever done.  

Oh hey, I was behind on Supergirl so I might have skimmed over talk about it but that was the Anti Monitor that showed up on Supergirl, wasn't it?

(edited)

Speculation about how the reported big screen Supergirl movie could affect Supergirl in the COIE crossover (and the Supergirl tv show)...

Does a Supergirl Movie Mean the TV Show is Ending Soon?
By NICOLE DRUM - June 2, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/06/02/supergirl-movie-television-show-ending-the-cw-yes-no-maybe/ 

If Warner Bros. did want to end Supergirl to shift the character from the small to big screen, the 2019/2020 would provide the opportunity. Season 5 will see Supergirl hit 100 episodes, a milestone that is generally the traditional threshold for a tv series to enter syndicated reruns so it would financially be decent time to bring things to a close. Story-wise, the season would also offer the opportunity given "Crisis on Infinite Earths". We don't yet know the details of what "Crisis" will entail other than Arrow's Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) will die, as revealed by The Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) during that show's Season 7 finale, but we do know what happens in the comics version of "Crisis on Infinite Earths". In the comics story, most of the various universes within the multiverse were destroyed and of the ones that survived, they were all merged into one. That merge -- if the Arrowverse does such a merge -- would off an opportunity to close out Supergirl.

Supergirl Movie Targeting 2020 Start of Production
BY COOPER HOOD – ON JUN 01, 2019
https://screenrant.com/supergirl-movie-filming-2020/ 

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I'm not sure the Crisis will have much to do with any Supergirl ending since the show appears to have a full season order and will have 10 or more episodes following it. Though I do wonder if WB will force the cancellation of Supergirl. 

Edited by Oreo2234

Didn’t people say the same thing about The Flash when the Flash’s solo movie was announced? I doubt they’ll use COIE to kill off Supergirl.

17 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Ugh. Every year is ALWAY the biggest crossover they've ever done.  

The crossovers do get bigger every year though (except for last year when they scaled back and cut out the Legends). I don’t think they’ll be able to top COIE, so I’m curious to see how the crossovers after that will be handled. 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

Didn’t people say the same thing about The Flash when the Flash’s solo movie was announced? I doubt they’ll use COIE to kill off Supergirl.

Yeah; I wish the TV and Film productions had more to do with each other, but they don't really. If any show ends, it won't be because of the movies.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 2
(edited)

Wow, LaMonica has some serious muscles there. I approve! Too bad the Monitor doesn't go around shirtless.

I highly doubt Supergirl, the tv show is going anywhere because of the movie. DCEU doesn't care that there are multiple versions of its superheroes on screen in any medium.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, MarkHB said:

This is apparently a Russian promo poster...

I doubt that is real. Is CW network a thing in Russia? Would they actually put Green Arrow that far back in the placement? (with Batwoman that prominent?) Black Lightning isn't supposed to be a part of this, and I seriously doubt this is how we learn that there will be a surprise cameo. Where exactly is this from?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

And has anyone translated the Russian? At best - if it's even real - it could be a general promo for the DC shows, and not specifically for the crossover.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Trini said:

And has anyone translated the Russian? At best - if it's even real - it could be a general promo for the DC shows, and not specifically for the crossover.

The original post mentions the source; that podcast is part of the same family that does Supergirl Radio. The Russian is exactly what I get from Google Translate.

(edited)
1 hour ago, MarkHB said:

The original post mentions the source;

That's a fansite (and an unverified one at that), [ETA:] and even they don't say where it came from. What's the Russian source?

Edited by Trini
5 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

The original post mentions the source; that podcast is part of the same family that does Supergirl Radio. The Russian is exactly what I get from Google Translate.

Ah yes, The Flash podcast that likes to bitch about Oliver Queen- even when it’s not relevant. The podcast Twitter page is reposting the poster from a fan page on Instagram. So take this with a barrel of salt.

Fair enough. Personally, I'm hoping that the Pierces make it into the crossover ( their own show can take that week off), it's established that they live on New Earth with the rest of the shows at the end, and then basically tell the others, "Call if you need us, but Freeland's problems need to be solved by Freeland's people, not outsiders." Essentially, I want the Pierce family to be able to play in the crossovers, not Barry and Kara busting in on BL.

• Love 1

Guggenheim -- blech

But anyway, I'm glad they are getting an early start; since this story is supposed to interconnect and affect all the involved shows. Maybe we'll have characters in character this time.

• Love 1
(edited)

The Flash: Season 6 Episode 2 Title Drops a Major “Crisis on Infinite Earths” Tease
By NICOLE DRUM - June 30, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/06/30/the-flash-season-6-episode-2-title-crisis-tease-grant-gustin-ins/ 

On Friday, Gustin shared a video to his Instagram story of the first table read with copies of the read through script visible on the table. While most major details were obscured, the title for episode 2 was visible, albeit hard to read. However, if you zoom in closely you can just make it out: "A Flash of The Lightning". Check out a screen capture from the story featuring the script below (and you can check out a closer look at the page here).
For comic book fans, this title is a very, very big deal. In the 1985 Crisis on Infinite Earths maxi-series, "A Flash of The Lightning" was the title to the story of issue #8 --the issue that saw Barry Allen/The Flash sacrifice himself, dying to save the universe. With the Arrowverse's adaptation of Crisis set to start in December, it would make sense that The Flash would start setting up for the event. After all, Crisis was first teased on The Flash during the series' first season and avoiding the event in which Barry disappears was a major plot element in Season 5.

That said, it would be a bold move to "kill" Barry so early in the season, especially since fans are already expecting that the big sacrifice in the Arrowverse when it comes to Crisis will be that of Arrow's Oliver Queen/Green Arrow, not The Flash. It was revealed during that show's season finale earlier this year that Oliver had made a bargain with The Monitor during "Elseworlds" to spare Kara Danvers/Supergirl and Barry. That bargain means that Oliver has to work with The Monitor to save the universe, something that guarantees his death. The finale saw Oliver say goodbye to his wife, Felicity, and baby daughter Maya [sic] after just a few months of peace and domestic happiness far away from Star City.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Some tweets about the writers room:

Added:

He says in one of his other tweets that it just came up in conversation.

Edited by RedVitC
added some tweets
  • Love 1

This is exciting but I hope we don't get another crossover where Kara is less important than her cousin and the rest of the Supergirl cast appear in one episode if they even appear at all. 

• Love 3

I just had a short chat with Marc Bernardin before his signing and he says that, from what he’s heard, we should get lots of Crisis info tomorrow. I’m planning on being in the room so stay tuned. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
10 hours ago, Trini said:

Wait, so Brandon would be playing his Superman as well as Ray Palmer? That's . . . kinky. Stupid question: was Superman Returns in a separate continuity from the Christopher Reeves movies? I vaguely remember that was the case, but I'm probably wrong.

And I don't want Tom. It's just that if you take the long view, Smallville was a shitshow. It got ten seasons where it only deserved five. The writers kept jumping cliffs, but it wasn't nearly as fun as watching Gotham. Oh, and my favorite character was played by an actress who is going to prison for her role in a sex cult. Thanks, Allison. Thanks a fucking lot. Like I don't have enough memories that aren't retrospectively tainted.

I dunno . . . how about Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang and Martha Kent?

ETA: Erica Durance? Worst. Lois. Ever. Teri Hatcher could have played Lois like did Susan from Desperate Housewives, and it still would have been better than Erica's portrayal.

Edited by Lantern7
3 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Wait, so Brandon would be playing his Superman as well as Ray Palmer? That's . . . kinky. Stupid question: was Superman Returns in a separate continuity from the Christopher Reeves movies? I vaguely remember that was the case, but I'm probably wrong.

It is meant to be a sequel to the Reeve films. 

I am excited to see Brandon get to play Superman again, having different versions of characters from different worlds showing up sounds fun, and...you have an actual cinematic Superman right there! I thought that Brandon was a good Superman, just he was unfortunate to end up with a lackluster script. Glad to see him as Ray AND Superman! 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

Stupid question: was Superman Returns in a separate continuity from the Christopher Reeves movies? I vaguely remember that was the case, but I'm probably wrong.

I might be wrong, but the way I remember it is that it was supposed to be a sequel to the second film, but ignores the existence of the third and fourth.

(edited)

Marc Guggenheim - San Diego Comic-Con 2019 Interview
Published on Jul 19, 2019, by Comicbook.com

-- MG: "This is an exclusive. Um, we're going to begin the way Crisis, uh, On Infinite Earths, the comic, begins, which is, the destruction of various parallel universes. Um, and the goal is for us to adapt key moments from the comic. You know, there's seminal moments. Um, in fact, like, yesterday, I pitched to the network what the story was going to be, and best part of the pitch - we have a board that DC made up for me, which - it's, you know, covers from key issues from Crisis On Infinite Earths, and we're like - we're going to do our version of this, we're going to do our version of this, we're going to do our version of this... Our goal is - you know, the thing we've been saying is, we're going to make a list of 100 cool things that we want to do. And even if we only get to do 50, we're still doing 50 cool things. Um, so it's a real labor of love on everyone's part. We really, really - we - this needs to be special. This is the most - this is the Holy Grail of DC comic book stories in my opinion, um, and we cannot screw this up."

-- On which Arrowverse show will feel the fallout of COIE the most, MG: "That's a great question. Um, that's a really terrific question. Um, I'm tempted to say actually Arrow. Um, and I may be a little bit biased in giving that answer. But, I would say, if we're able to do what we have planned, um, it's some pretty big consequences, um, that come out of Crisis for Arrow... I know, it's like we're 'big things' right before we end the show. But, uh, you know, it was interesting, you know, because of the nature of Crisis and the nature of a 10-episode order for Arrow, the two projects really became linked, uh, to the extent where the build-up to Crisis really takes place in Arrow, and then Crisis has to impact the final two episodes of Arrow. Um, so it's all connected. Um, you know, and I think it's going to be connected in a way that's satisfying to people. That's the trick."

-- MG: "At the same time, the complication for us is that we also have Crisis and I think a lot of the stuff that was always in my head in terms of on how to end the show [Arrow], um, we're now actually going to end up doing in the crossover instead." 

Edited by tv echo