Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

'Crisis on Infinite Earths' Monitor Warns His 'Big Brother' Is Coming
by Meagan Damore – on Jul 20, 2019
https://www.cbr.com/crisis-infinite-earths-tv-anti-monitor-tease/

The Arrowverse may introduce the Anti-Monitor as part of "Crisis on Infinite Earths," with the Monitor actor LaMonica Garrett hinting to CBR about the arrival of his character's "big brother" in this year's five-show crossover.

The Anti-Monitor, of course, is the primary antagonist in the 1985-1986 comic book event Crisis on Infinite Earths, rebooted the DC Universe's history and created a single universe through the destruction of the Multiverse. A being of unimaginable power, the Anti-Monitor was behind the multiverse's demise, so it would certainly make sense for the character to make his Arrowverse debut in the CW crossover.
Asked whether will appear in any other Arrowverse shows besides Arrow, Garrett revealed his warning about the Crisis to come. "I will be bouncing around the universe, just to remind people, like, 'Hey, I got a big brother. He's coming,' you know?'" he teased.

However, when asked directly, Garrett wouldn't confirm the Anti-Monitor's arrival. "As a fan, I know all about that. He's the biggest of the biggest of the bads," he said. "And if he does make an appearance in Crisis, I think that'll shut the internet down, as a fan. Like, that's just the Anti-Monitor. That's what it's all about. We'll see. You know, who knows if it's coming, but I'm looking forward to it."

My hunch: much like JWS's Flash appearance in Elseworlds turned out to be far briefer than imagined, Brandon Routh's Superman appearance will be similarly brief, and likely one of those "other worlds getting destroyed" cameos at the start of the series.

Also, Keto Shimizu Tweeted something which she then took down, which made it sound like Crisis will actually be separate from the shows themselves. She said that the last episode of Crisis leads into LoT #501; I asked if that meant that Crisis is actually its own separate miniseries, but it was never answered and her Tweet disappeared.

Since Legends has gotten meta on the crossovers, I imagine ep 5.09 has them entering the ship saying "And...that's why we passed on the crossover last year", "I can't wait to just get back to time traveling and sending history's worst big bad's back to hell" 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Also, Keto Shimizu Tweeted something which she then took down, which made it sound like Crisis will actually be separate from the shows themselves. She said that the last episode of Crisis leads into LoT #501; I asked if that meant that Crisis is actually its own separate miniseries, but it was never answered and her Tweet disappeared.

I don’t think Crisis will necessarily be it’s own separate miniseries. It sounds like it will have a big impact on the finale of Arrow, if it stays somewhat true to the comic book it should have an impact on The Flash, and Supergirl will migrate to Earth One. It just won’t have any effect on LoT which is why that show will probably count it as a separate event.

(edited)

Per Arrow spoilers at SDCC, the crossover episode will be the 8th episode of Arrow's final season (leaving two episodes to deal with the fallout of COIE). Also, SA will play more than one character in the crossover, although they're all named Oliver. Here's where you can find those spoilers in the Arrow forum...

-- SA: "The series finale is going to be independent of the crossover... The crossover this year is in our 8th episode, I believe, but we have 10 episodes to do." (Jul. 20, 2019 TVLine article & video, page 1 of Spoilers thread and page 5 of Spoiler Discussion Final thread in Arrow forum)

-- On what they can tease about the COIE crossover, SA: "I'm going to play more than one character in the crossover... They're all named Oliver, if that helps." Interviewer: "Oh good, we're getting different Earth Olivers, I like it." SA: "No. No. Maybe." (Jul. 20, 2019 ETonline video of Arrow cast interview, page 1 of Spoilers thread and page 5 of Spoiler Discussion Final thread in Arrow forum)

Also, about BR's Superman...

English translation: "CONFIRMED, BRANDON ROUTH SHOWS THE KINGDOM SUPERMAN'S EYE S # Arrow  # ArrowSeason8  # SDCC  # sdcc19  # sdcc2019  # sdcc50  # SanDiegoComicCon2019  # SanDiegoComicCon"

English translation: "Brandon will not use his original Superman Returns costume in the crossover, but it will be another one (remember it can be based on Kingdom Come) 
 # Arrow  # ArrowSeason8  # SDCC  # sdcc19  # sdcc2019  # sdcc50  # SanDiegoComicCon2019  # SanDiegoComicCon"

Edited by tv echo
10 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Tom Cavanaugh will play Pariah in Crisis. Pariah is integral to unleashing the Anti-Monitor. 

The weepiest Wells of them all. 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I have mixed feelings about Kingdom Come being used. I think it worked better by itself. While The Kingdom and JSA’s “Thy Kingdom Come” were good, most of the other stuff couldn’t capture its essence. And yet, the Biblical allegories can be seen as a parallel to Superman Returns. So Brandon Routh playing that Superman isn’t a total disaster waiting to happen. He plays Superman . . . one not weighed down by Kryptonite Island, Super Bastard, and Kevin Spacey.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, tv echo said:

-- MG: "This is an exclusive. Um, we're going to begin the way Crisis, uh, On Infinite Earths, the comic, begins, which is, the destruction of various parallel universes. Um, and the goal is for us to adapt key moments from the comic. You know, there's seminal moments. Um, in fact, like, yesterday, I pitched to the network what the story was going to be, and best part of the pitch - we have a board that DC made up for me, which - it's, you know, covers from key issues from Crisis On Infinite Earths, and we're like - we're going to do our version of this, we're going to do our version of this, we're going to do our version of this... Our goal is - you know, the thing we've been saying is, we're going to make a list of 100 cool things that we want to do. And even if we only get to do 50, we're still doing 50 cool things. Um, so it's a real labor of love on everyone's part. We really, really - we - this needs to be special. This is the most - this is the Holy Grail of DC comic book stories in my opinion, um, and we cannot screw this up."

Hey, I love cool action sequences and homages, but I hope one of those "cool things" is a story that makes sense. This quote doesn't give me hope. I would have said 'at least the comic fans will like it', but CW has never really done any of the comic stories justice.

-- On which Arrowverse show will feel the fallout of COIE the most, MG: "That's a great question. Um, that's a really terrific question. Um, I'm tempted to say actually Arrow. Um, and I may be a little bit biased in giving that answer. But, I would say, if we're able to do what we have planned, um, it's some pretty big consequences, um, that come out of Crisis for Arrow... I know, it's like we're 'big things' right before we end the show. But, uh, you know, it was interesting, you know, because of the nature of Crisis and the nature of a 10-episode order for Arrow, the two projects really became linked, uh, to the extent where the build-up to Crisis really takes place in Arrow, and then Crisis has to impact the final two episodes of Arrow. Um, so it's all connected. Um, you know, and I think it's going to be connected in a way that's satisfying to people. That's the trick."

-- MG: "At the same time, the complication for us is that we also have Crisis and I think a lot of the stuff that was always in my head in terms of on how to end the show [Arrow], um, we're now actually going to end up doing in the crossover instead." 

Typical!

• Love 1

Comics info on the setup of Crisis and who Pariah is for those who don't know (books spoiler):

Spoiler

The core cosmology of Crisis is that a scientist on the world that would become known as Oa performed the "forbidden experiment" to look back to the very moment of Creation (depicted as the Hand of God lowering the galaxies into place).  His interference at that moment caused the splintering of what was to have been one Universe into an infinitely-divided positive-matter Multiverse and a single Anti-matter Universe (which was first seen in the comics as the home of the Weaponers of Qward).  The Anti-Matter Universe grew to be ruled by the Anti-Monitor, who thought he was Lord of all that was since the Anti-matter and positive Matter universes could not easily intermingle.

Then, millennia later, the scientist who would become Pariah performed the Forbidden Experiment, and his doing so caused the Anti-Monitor to realize the existence of the positive Multiverse and he became consumed with the desire to destroy it all.  So, he began wiping out the positive universes, one by one, and Pariah was doomed to be continually drawn to each one and forced to witness the destruction. (I'm not sure who did the dooming, sounds like some Spectre-level shit to me.)

The Monitor isn't evil, he's testing the heroes and villains to determine who will be capable of defeating the Anti-Monitor (because the alternative is assured total destruction).  He's somewhat amoral about it, though; he'll take the best regardless of whether they're conventionally good or evil, so he'd put Bruce and Lex together to maximize their combined brain power.

• Useful 5
(edited)

'Arrow' star David Ramsey on tribute to co-worker Stephen Amell and final season
Published on Jul 21, 2019, by Nerds and Beyond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0B7Gdh9hNo

-- On what he can say about what role Diggle might play in the COIE crossover, DR: "Well, not much. I can tell you that he remains by Oliver's side, which is where he probably should always be. And, um, you know, he's Spock to his Kirk, so he remains there... There's some things that I just found out that I haven't quite - that I haven't quite, um, flipped in my head how to lie to you... and how to spin it yet... how to make a lie - how to make this shit smell a little good, like perfume. (Media: "Don't they prep you for that?") ... Well, they usually do, but I just found out... Like, I just found out what's happening, like, ultimately to Diggle in the crossover. We just found out. So, you know, when you have Marc here, you just kind of grill him and he's like, 'well, here's what's happening.' ... So, nope. Not much I can tell you about it, except he remains at Oliver's side."

-- On what he expects fans' reactions to the crossover will be and whether they'll be shocked, DR: "Yeah, oh yeah. It's a five-show crossover. They're gonna be shocked. Without a doubt. They're gonna be shocked. Um, and I think some questions will be answered. So this isn't a situation where every single loose end has been tied up into a nice bow. I think some of those questions about Diggle I think are important are answered. But no, not every answer will be there. But, um, I think everyone will be satisfied with the finale - not just the crossover, but the finale."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Everything We Know About the Arrowverse 'Crisis' Crossover: 'Kingdom Come,' Burt Ward, Anti-Monitor and More!
By TooFab Staff | July 21, 2019
https://toofab.com/2019/07/21/comic-con-crisis-on-infinite-earths-cw-crossover-arrow-arrowverse-flash-supergirl-legends-of-tomorrow-batwoman/

Earths Will Die
Arrowverse producer Marc Guggenheim promised Comic-Con fans that this "Crisis" will at least kick off in the same deadly way as the comic series. "We’re going to begin the way 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' the comic begins, which is the destruction of various parallel universes," he told ComicBook.com. "And the goal is for us to adapt key moments from the comic, those seminal moments."
Holy Surprise Guest Stars!
After dropping the bombshell that Brandon Routh would be returning the blue and red tights of the role he made famous in the film "Superman Returns" -- with a twist -- "Batwoman" executive producer Caroline Dries promised, "We’ve got a ton, a ton, a ton of characters coming into the five-part event."

Even Routh's Superman is technically a new character as he won't be reprising the Richard Donner version of the character he revived for the film. Instead, he'll be taking on the classic "Elseworlds" version of the character presented in the classic 1990s "Kingdom Come" mini-series, which featured older versions of DC's classic characters in a dark future where the next generation takes vigilante justice too far.

He will presumably come face to face with Tyler Hoechlin's Superman (who has appeared sporadically in "Supergirl" since Season 2). This version is also expected to return from his adventures off Earth at some point during the next season either before or during the epic crossover events. Maybe he'll bring Lois Lane back with him so she can chronicle all this craziness.

Perhaps one of those biggest surprises is the inclusion of Burt Ward, who famously portrayed the wise-cracking Robin in the 1960s "Batman" television series known for on-screen sound effects and campy dialogue between Ward and Adam West as the Caped Crusader. ....

It's unclear if Ward will be portraying an older Robin, or perhaps someone who'd taken over the mantle of Batman, or a new iteration of his characters entirely, as Routh is. It's also possible he's just a bit of nostalgia stunt casting and he'll be taking on an entirely new role.

Also returning to the fold for the crossover event is Jon Cryer's well-received Lex Luthor, who surprised fans with his dark turn on "Supergirl" last season. "Crisis" fans know that a version of Lex, Alexandor Luthor, played a pivotal role in the original series, but it's unclear if Cryer's version will have anything to do with that character or even be the same Luthor seen on "Supergirl." Parallel Earths and all that.
Arrow to Face the Dead Before Dying?
... With just a 10-episode final run, "Arrow" is expected to run directly into the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover and only come out the other side with two episodes left ... though what state it's in by then is anyone's guess.
"Arrow" may look like an entirely different beast in its final shortened season, as Arrow journeys with The Monitor to try and prepare for and/or prevent the inevitable "Crisis." We already know parallel Earths are in play, and now with glimpses of friends and enemies long dead perhaps time travel is as well. Either way, "Arrow" looks to be a very interesting show this fall and an essential lead-up to "Crisis."
The Anti-Monitor Emerges
You can't have a "Crisis on Infinite Earths" without the Anti-Monitor and it looks like The CW won't have to. And they didn't even have to look very far to find him, as LaMonica Garrett will be taking on the role. Fans have already gotten used to Garrett's visage and distinctive voice as the Monitor, brother to the Anti-Monitor and supposed force for good.
Pariah Rising?
In another bit of double-billing, "The Flash" veteran Tom Cavanagh will take on the role of the saddest person in the DC Multiverse, the immortal Pariah. First glimpsed throughout the original "Crisis on Infinite Earths" event in the mid-1980s, Pariah would appear as world were about to die, cursed to witness their final moments as penance for past misdeeds.

According to new "Flash" showrunner Eric Wallace, Pariah will emerge as a result of the first half-season arc of the show, which focuses on new villain Bloodwork, played by "Heroes" alum Sendhil Ramamurthy. That storyline sets the stage for the entire "Crisis" event.
Flash Sacrifice?
Foreshadowing for this possible fate for The CW's Barry Allen will be set up in the Fall when the Monitor returns and "says the universe is in danger and the only way to save it is for Barry to sacrifice himself," according to "Flash" star Grant Gustin. "It’s tough hearing you’re supposed to die."

Fans hoping that Arrow's deal with the Monitor during last season's "Elseworlds" event would replace the threat of doom for Barry were apparently a little too optimistic. It's just not a "Crisis" without a Flash's life on the line!

Edited by tv echo

The article also summarizes the casting so far:

EW has exclusively learned that Elizabeth Tulloch will reprise her role as Lois Lane in “Crisis on Infinite Earths,” which will also feature Tyler Hoechlin’s Superman. Not only that, but we’ll also meet Clark and Lois’ child in the five-hour, multiverse-threatening event. (Fingers crossed the Arrowverse follows DC Comics canon and it’s a boy named Jon!)

Overall, “Crisis” is shaping up to be pretty super event. In addition to Hoechlin and Tulloch’s returns, current Legends of Tomorrow cast member/former Superman Returns star Brandon Routh will suit up as a version of Superman, wearing a suit based on Alex Ross’ Kingdom Come design, and Supergirl’s Jon Cryer will return as Lex Luthor.

Other “Crisis” casting news out of San Diego Comic-Con included: The Flash’s Tom Cavanagh will play Pariah, a pivotal character from the game-changing DC Comics event upon which the crossover is based, and the Monitor actor LaMonica Garrett will appear as the crossover’s big bad, the Anti-Monitor.

https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/22/elizabeth-tulloch-lois-lane-arrowverse-crisis-on-infinite-earths/

(edited)

I figured she would return if Tyler was. I just hope Supergirl's presence in the crossover doesn't largely just consist of Kara plus Superman characters who aren't actually regulars on the show. Especially if Earth 38 really does merge with Earth 1.

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

I figured she would return if Tyler was. I just hope Supergirl's presence in the crossover doesn't largely just consist of Kara plus Superman characters who aren't actually regulars on the show. Especially if Earth 38 really does merge with Earth 1.

I agree. We know that GA/Flash/SG/BW will play big parts but I've been long ready to allow the supporting characters on the shows step up to the plate and get some limelight for once but I have a feeling the Supermen will be taking up a large chunk of screentime.

• Love 1
(edited)

Crisis on Infinite Earths and the Secrets of the Monitor
Mike Cecchini  Jul 22, 2019
https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/dc-entertainment/282381/crisis-on-infinite-earths-secrets-of-the-monitor 

Den of Geek: Tell us about about how you got the part of the Monitor.
LaMonica Garrett:
They're real vague with the breakdowns. You don't know who you are playing, the characters or anything. And for the first couple of auditions, I thought I was Val Zod, you know, Black Superman. From the way that it was worded, he's Kryptonian, he's otherworldly, he has enormous power. I'm like, who else can it be?

I'm wracking my brain. I know comic books and I didn't know who I was until I was about to fly out there for the first fitting for the outfit. They told me I got it. And I was like, "Awesome, who am I playing?" My manager was like, "I don't know." Called over to the producers and they let him know the Monitor. I thought about Crisis. So that was a big deal.
What was that first costume fitting like?
The first one was just pieces, and they got to measuring and this and that. I went back and forth about three times. And the last time there, I put it all on, and it was like right off the page. This is the Monitor. There were a couple of DC reps there, and they were crying a little bit. They got a little emotional. You know, no one's ever seen the Monitor come to life. It's an obscure character, it's not like Superman or Green Lantern or Aquaman, it's the Monitor. If you know the story, you do. But a lot of people don't.
When did you get the call that they were going to bring you back for those little epilogues for the season finales?
Along the way. That's what's the cool thing about playing the Monitor too is that he just pops up here and there. And whenever he comes it's just an ominous feel to him. And it heightens whatever moment is already existing. So it's fun to just bounce around the universe like that.
Yeah, the popcorn. That was a happy accident. They just threw it in at the last minute and I heard that they weren't going to use it, and then “let's just try it.” The tone of the show lends itself to it. But I didn't know. I was like, "I don't know if The Monitor eats popcorn." When I was there, I don't know if this is going to go over well. And that turned out to be a hit. So you never know how it's going to go.

How did they pitch that to you? How did they say “okay, so for this last one…”
“Do you want any popcorn?” It was a little back and forth. They know the show, I wasn't as familiar with Legends of Tomorrow. I said, "I'll try it. And if it doesn't work then we just won't use it." And then it ended up working, and now I'm a GIF. It's fun.
So what can you say about Crisis? What have they told you so far? Because it seems like they're already setting this up, because the way Arrow season 7 ended you have to be a presence in Oliver's life to a certain extent this season even before Crisis begins in earnest, right?
It's hard to bring everything that's on the page and adapt it to the screen, but they're doing a really good job of that. Without going too far into details, but they're trying to stick as close to the comic book as possible. And that's hard to do. But I think as we go, today they just announced Brandon Routh is going to be Superman. As we go, there's going to be different actors from all over the past of DC TV jumping on board. Who knows who's coming? It's a fun part of something this big though. It has the magnitude for it. I think there's going to be some people jumping on board that comes out of left field.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 7/22/2019 at 11:13 AM, tv echo said:

Foreshadowing for this possible fate for The CW's Barry Allen will be set up in the Fall when the Monitor returns and "says the universe is in danger and the only way to save it is for Barry to sacrifice himself," according to "Flash" star Grant Gustin. "It’s tough hearing you’re supposed to die."

Does Stephen Amell know this? Because he's been telling the media that this season Oliver is resigned and learning to accept his fate, which presumably is that he's going to die for Barry and Kara since the Monitor told Oliver that he's seen his death in COIE.

Sounds like it's going to be fun.

The COIE event is rapidly taking on the look of an epic event that broadcast television networks haven’t done in decades. It almost seems as if almost every DC character that has ever been represented on television could be involved and in a way, even as cameos, it would make sense.

Lynda Carter, yes. Tom Welling, no. The man cannot act.

Besides if they're going to be bringing in actors with a known history with DC they need to bring in the voice talent as well. Lynda and Burt would be great, Brandon wearing the suit again is fine, and I hope Mark Hamill at least returns as the Trickster but if they really want to dig deep into the DC talent pool then they need to call up the crew from the various animated series. They were almost all at Comic Con last week so hopefully it happened.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

Lynda Carter, yes. Tom Welling, no. The man cannot act.

Sounds fake to me, honestly. Not that these two would guest star, but that this site supposedly has info on negotiations.

5 hours ago, Trini said:

Sounds fake to me, honestly. Not that these two would guest star, but that this site supposedly has info on negotiations.

As much as I would love to see it, does anyone really think Lynda would get back in the suit? 

6 minutes ago, MarkHB said:

As much as I would love to see it, does anyone really think Lynda would get back in the suit? 

No but she can play Diana Prince Museum Curator or something along those lines. I'm just wondering if DC gave them okay to use any of the other heroes besides Superman. DC has been so dumb with what they allow the Arrowverse to use. Hopefully they let up on their stupid rules for a one time event. I'd like to see Batman, Wonder Woman and Green Lantern. If not I suppose they can bring back the JSA from Legends. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Lynda Carter has already shown up on Supergirl a few times as the president on Earth-38. I’d think it wouldn’t be too hard to convince her to come back.

I know it probably isn’t possible because of filming conflicts, but I’d love to see Justin Hartley as Green Arrow.

Edited by BaggythePanther
  • Love 2
(edited)

Arrow SDCC 2019 Final Season Panel
Published on Jul 22, 2019, by Matthew Mendez
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xE_zwkuorM

-- On the recent breaking news that the COIE crossover will have two Supermans, MG: "Brandon is - he's going to play Superman in the crossover. He's also going to play Ray Palmer... Certainly, Brandon, you know, being Superman, being Clark Kent, um, being in the Daily Planet, um, it's going to be amazing."

-- On the COIE crossover, MG: "The whole goal with the crossover is, like, we try to come up with, like, a hundred great things to do, and even if we get to do 50 of them, we're still doing 50 great things. Like, it's really how many amazing moments can we pack into it."

(Brandon Routh joined the Arrow panel at this point.)

-- On whether BR will wear the Superman Returns costume, MG said that that original costume is in the Warner Brothers archives and therefore can't be used for the COIE crossover, but that they're still figuring it out. BR: "I thought that might be a problem... I have an idea." BR then stood up, unbuttoned his shirt and revealed his Superman suit underneath (the one in the previously posted pics). MG: "That's a pretty good pitch. You know what? I think we're going to do that." 

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

MG said that that original costume is in the Warner Brothers archives...

It may have moved during Comic-COn, but the last I knew it was on the DC Daily set alongside several of Chris Reeves' (including the dark one from Superman 3).

(edited)

Arrow Creator Marc Guggenheim teases final season "Big Bad"
Published on Jul 24, 2019, by Nice Girls TV
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE65uEjfY1s

-- On whether Oliver and Barry could cross paths before the COIE crossover, MG: "We have talked about it, um, and it's absolutely a possibility. We haven't ruled it out. I will say this, you know, last week I pitched the crossover to the network and the week before that I pitched the crossover to the studio, and a big part of the pitch was basically acknowledging the fact that, for all these past years, in every crossover, Oliver and Barry have really been the core that has run through the crossovers and that's absolutely true in this year's crossover. So, um, you know, whether it happens before the crossover, again, it's something we've talked about, but for sure in the crossover, that's a key relationship."

-- On how the Big Bad for all the shows this year seems to be time, MG: "Yes. That's a great way of putting it... Again, when we pitch it, we talk about in terms of destiny. You know, all the characters are facing some version of their destiny, and they have to react to it and confront it and, you know, in a lot of cases, rise above it. Um, that said, um, the Big Bad of the crossover - I literally tweeted this out two seconds ago - is of course going to be the Anti-Monitor, um, from Crisis On Infinite Earths. Uh, LaMonica Garrett is going to play that role, um, because there's no one else to play that role. Um, you know, LaMonica's perfect for it... We're going to see, I think, a real strong antagonist for the biggest crossover event we've ever done."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Greg Berlanti on the 'responsibility' of Arrowverse adapting Crisis on Infinite Earths
Chancellor Agard  July 24, 2019
https://ew.com/tv/2019/07/24/greg-berlanti-responsibility-adapting-crisis-on-infinite-earths/ 

When it launched, Crisis was mainly an attempt by DC to clean up its very complicated continuity. For Berlanti, though, it was something more: It was his introduction to the wider DC pantheon, beyond just the Flash, his favorite superhero, because in those pages readers saw the younger Superman of Earth-1 interact with a graying Superman from Earth-2, the Green Lanterns’ home base on Oa, and so much more.

“It was a great way to get into all the characters at once because it was like a labyrinth of storytelling,” Berlanti, an executive producer on all the CW’s superhero shows, tells EW. “So you were starting to see how all of these characters were interconnected, and then that made you want to go and read the different issues that were happening and get into the different things.”

The scale of Crisis’ story drew a young Berlanti in too. “The thing that Dungeons & Dragons and Lord of the Rings and the DC space had at the time [in the stories they were doing] was how you got a sense of ‘Oh my God, this story is bigger than all of these other little stories, [and] I can figure it out,’” he says. “There was was no online community to connect with. You felt a part of it by like, ‘Oh, I can get that piece of information, or I can go get that comic book, or that issue, and I can fill in the blanks of being part of this bigger thing.’”
“We weren’t sure we’d ever be allowed to [do our version of Crisis], or where we’d get to that place,” he says, adding that he believes Warner Bros. and DC are allowing them to take a stab at the epic because it will be very specific to the Arrowverse. “It’s our iteration of it. It’s not necessarily what they’d end up doing in the film space, so we could advocate for it that way, in terms of permission.”

Nevertheless, this is still one of the biggest stories in comic book history, and that is not lost on Berlanti and company. “I never feel anything other than a sense of responsibility,” he says of adapting Crisis and more. “Whenever we do an iconic story line or we do something that reminds us really vividly of one of those books that meant a lot to us, we have a sense of pressure and obligation of ‘Oh wow, we really don’t want to mess this up’ even more so than we usually do. So that fear overrides any kind of other emotion.”

He adds, “It’s the closest I ever feel to being a kid again, without a doubt. You just get the same sensation, and you didn’t even realize that you locked it up and put it away.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
On 7/24/2019 at 6:26 AM, MarkHB said:

In a heartbeat. Lynda has always said that she considered it an honor to play Wonder Woman, a character whose adventures she had grown up reading. She was a huge fan of the Wonder Woman movie, and she's thrilled that young girls and women today still look to Wonder Woman and to Lynda's portrayal of her as an example of a strong woman and a positive role model.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

In a heartbeat.

Well, I have no doubt that she would put on the IADC white pantsuit as Diana Prince, but my gut says that she would balk at the star spangled spandex... It wouldn't be a good look for her or for Wondy.

(edited)

How Arrow Cast The Original Robin For Its Crisis On Infinite Earths Crossover
By Chris E. Hayner  July 25, 2019 
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-arrow-cast-the-original-robin-for-its-crisis-o/1100-6468617/

... One of the most exciting moments, though, came during the Batwoman panel. It was revealed that in the upcoming Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover, which will encompass the five Arrow-verse shows, original Batman TV series star Burt Ward will appear.

Speaking to GameSpot after the panel, Marc Guggenheim, who serves as executive producer on Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow, was positively giddy about the announcement. "We assembled a writers room with all of the showrunners of the five shows," he said. "We broke out the story, obviously, but we also made a list. What's the cool stuff we want to see? Burt was at the top of the list."

Still, wanting to get the original Boy Wonder onto the show and casting him are two very different things. The situation brought to mind advice Guggenheim remembered from an Arrow-verse crew member, though. "Here's the thing, [Joseph Patrick] Finn, who's the line producer of The Flash but was also the original line producer on Arrow, he always had a saying, 'If you don't ask, you don't get,'" Guggenheim explains. "Under that heading, we're like, 'You know what? We don't know if Burt is up for it. We don't know if he's available or interested. But if you don't ask, you don't get.'"

To their surprise, that was all it took for Ward to agree to appear in the crossover. "We were thrilled, beyond thrilled. It's so exciting," Guggenheim said. "We're just so happy."
So will Ward play Robin? Guggenheim played coy when asked directly. "It's a cameo where I'm going to leave [whether or not he's Dick Grayson] to the audience, but I think you'll know when you see it," he said. "You won't be wondering." It sure sounds like he's going to play Dick Grayson one last time and we can't wait.

Edited by tv echo
12 hours ago, MarkHB said:

Well, I have no doubt that she would put on the IADC white pantsuit as Diana Prince, but my gut says that she would balk at the star spangled spandex... It wouldn't be a good look for her or for Wondy.

If she's the Diana of say, Earth-76, maybe, but the Diana of Earth-1 wouldn't have a secret identity -- she never bothered with it. The reason I say that is that her native land is specifically referred to as Themiscyra (which was the name given to it following the 1986 reboot of the comic, in which Princess Diana of Themiscyra never adopted a secret identity -- in fact, she even hated the name "Wonder Woman") in the Berlantiverse, not as "Paradise Island." 

• Useful 1
(edited)

BB Exclusive: Arrow Creator, Marc Guggenheim Talks the Show's Final Season
Published on Jul 27, 2019, by Beautiful Ballad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZnB0AmKlh8

-- MG: "We started planning the crossover earlier than we ever have because we know it's five hours. It's, you know, based on the most, you know, seminal, important, I think, comic book story. Um, you know, it requires a lot of planning. It requires a lot of care. And, you know, as always, you know, we approach it from the standpoint of 'don't screw it up.' ... We assembled some amazing writers... showrunners... We worked and crafted, you know, I think, a very, you know -a really cool story that, you know, honors, not just the Arrowverse, but honors the fact that it's got to be more than just the Arroweverse. It has to touch other corners of the DC universe and, um, I'm really excited. It's probably the most important thing I've ever worked on... So, the pressure is enormous."

-- MG: "MG: "I can tell you that LaMonica Garrett is going to reprise his role as the Monitor in the crossover, but he's also going to play the Anti-Monitor as well. Um, and that's the Big Bad of the crossover."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

ScreenRant's interview with LMG...

LaMonica Garrett Interview: San Diego Comic-Con 2019
Published on Jul 25, 2019, by SR Trailers and Interviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiZUW4Q5V1g

-- On the last scene of Arrow S7 where the Monitor took Felicity off somewhere, when asked where they went,  LMG: "Hey, man, who knows? The Monitor, he's got - you know, he's got the whole cosmos as his playground. They could be anywhere."

-- When he auditioned for the Monitor, LMG thought that he was reading for Val Zod, Black Superman, because the breakdown described a powerful Kryptonian and because of the way the dialogue was written. He didn't know he was the Monitor until almost when he was flying out to Vancouver to start being fitted for the outfit. When he found out, he was like, "Oh, wow. Crisis." This is the first time that the Monitor has been depicted in live action. There were a couple of DC reps who "got a little teary... seeing the Monitor come off the page."

-- LMG's fave superhero when he was growing up was Green Lantern.

-- LMG: "The Monitor, he's just - he's hard to peg because he's morally ambiguous. You don't really know what his - his plan is, but he's doing bad things for the greater good for everyone. But his ways of good and bad aren't your ways... He doesn't look at the world like that. He's been around for billions of years, so it's like, you know, what we're used to, our ethics, our values, down here on Earth, he's evolved past that. So, he'll do some stuff for the greater good, in hindsight, you'll be able to see, oh, like, he was a good guy."

-- LMG: "It's hard to adapt everything from the comic book to, you know, to screen, but... they're doing a bang-up job. They're doing a real good job. So that trick is yet to be seen, but if they do that, that would be ridiculously awesome."

-- LMG: "I go back Monday morning, and I'm working Tuesday."

-- LMG: "It's rapid fire... Just like last season, where he just - the Monitor kinda bounces around. So where I end up, you might not know. Sometimes I'll just - I'll be a couple episodes here, one over here - I just - you know, it's a fun role to play too. Get to hang out with all the different casts."

-- On which Arrowverse show's set did he enjoy working on the most, LMG: "I liked them all. All of them had their different, uh - you know, from where I'm staying in Vancouver downtown, Flash and Arrow are right close, so those, you know, it's easier to get to work. And Supergirl is a little further out. And, um - but yeah, Legends. It's fun to work on all of them. You know, meeting the different casts, different makeup departments, hair and, you know, wardrobe. It's like feeling all the different energies. You could tell Arrow's been around for so long, they're like the big brother on the block. And just - it starts from there and kinda, you know, pushes out."

-- On Arrow's last season and Oliver's death being prophesized by the Monitor, LMG: "He might escape, you know. Who knows? Comic books."

-- LMG started out in sports. When his football career ended, he knew he wanted to act and moved to L.A. He was involved in Slam Ball. He then guest starred in One Tree Hill, which had a three-episode arc about Slam Ball. He then quit Slam Ball and got into acting classes.

-- LMG is in an indie film called Clemency (won a Sundance award) and in another film with Nicolas Cage called Primal. He has another project that he can't talk about yet, but it's going to be a "monster" and a "game-changer" when it comes out.

-- On whether we'll see the Monitor after the crossover is over, LMG: "I hope so. But, you know, if - they're doing it pretty close to the comic books. In the comic books, you know, the Monitor's seen better days. But, you know, we might - you know, they might have a different variation, so it's fun. When I get the scripts, they're like getting new issues of comic books. So I don't read, like, just, you know, what am I doing in this - I read it as a fan first because I grew up with comic books... I read it once as a fan and then I go back and study it like, alright, what do I need to know? What's going on? What's going to happen if I don't get what I - you know, just whatever I do to, you know, figure it out."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3