Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Crisis on Infinite Earths Actor LaMonica Garrett Teases the Anti-Monitor's Debut
By NICOLE DRUM - July 27, 2019
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/27/crisis-on-infinite-earths-anti-monitor-lamonica-garrett-tease/

Transcribed from video in this article:

-- On how tough was it for him to sit on information like Oliver's death for months, LMG: "You know, it's - a lot of the stuff I'm just finding out about as well... Like when I get the scripts that come in, they read to me like a comic book issue. So I read it as a fan first and then I go back and re-read - alright, now I gotta study, I gotta focus - you know, what's going on. But a lot of the stuff, when it breaks, I'm finding out for the first time too. Like, I didn't even know Crisis was happening when we were shooting Elseworlds. They kept me in the dark. My manager knew, but no one told me. So when it came across the screen at the end of the Elseworlds crossover, I was like, mouth dropped. Phone started ringing. My manager was like screaming. It was like one of those things. So I don't know a lot. I know a little bit. But the little I do know, it's hard to keep under wraps. Like, you're excited about it. You want to talk about it, but you can't."

-- LMG: "The Monitor is an obscure character for a lot people. You know, people hate The Monitor right now because of what he's doing to the world. But he's actually trying to do it, you know, for the greater good, if you know the comic books."

-- LMG: "Anti-Monitor is not obscure. He's well-known in Marvel, you know, for Marvel fans and DC fans, as just one of the biggest bads that ever walked this planet. So when they told me that, I kinda got a little misty-eyed. I got a little emotional. And I was like 'are you kidding me?' Like, I've always wanted to be in the comic book world, and you're telling me that I could play The Monitor and the Anti-Monitor in the same, you know, universe, the same Arrowverse like that? That was a surreal moment when I found out. I just found that out maybe two weeks ago. So they knew from the beginning, obviously, but I didn't know about it."

-- On getting to play just a straight-up evil character like the Anti-Monitor, LMG: "Just bad. And I - when I found out about that, I was on set and, um, Arrow, they were coming in to - they were prepping for their first episode. It was in Vancouver. And I talked to, uh, Bam [James Bamford], the director, and I was like, 'you know?' And he was like, 'yeah, man, I thought you knew.' Like, 'no, no one tells me anything.' And he already saw my mind spinning like, you know, uh, doing research, Anti-Monitor research, in my head. He was like, 'slow down, you still got a lot of Monitor to go before you jump into that skin.' So I was like, my mind's already racing of what I can bring to this character to bring him to life. Yeah."

-- On whether he's going to look like himself or whether he's going to have the Anti-Monitor "face," LMG: "Uh, it's - I can't say what that is. That's going to be - like, some stuff has to be left to the imagination and, you know, the surprise of the audience. But it's... an awesome get-up from top to bottom. It's night-and-day different from the Monitor."

-- When LMG first auditioned for the role, he didn't know that he was playing the Monitor. The description just said that the character was this "nearly ominipotent," "other-worldly figure" and a Kryptonian. So he thought Val Zod or maybe even Darkseid if "Kryptonian" was just a code word for something else.

-- On what he would want to see in COIE if he had a wish list, LMG said that he really wants to see something from Oa because that's where the Guardians (of the Universe) and the Green Lantern Corps come from.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Brandon Routh as Superman = Ugh. I don't know why anyone would want to revisit that debacle. These crossovers are such rubbish.

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

Brandon Routh as Superman = Ugh. I don't know why anyone would want to revisit that debacle. These crossovers are such rubbish.

Oh Brandon is gonna be Kingdom Come Clark Kent?  Hmm, I can;t see it for now. 

Man, I love that version of Superman.  He is older, a little harder looking, a little grizzled, really jacked.  Sigh.  I had a crush on that version of  Superman better than the clean cut younger one.  I wonder if they are gonna go that route with hair/make-up or do their own version of it

Edited by DearEvette

Selected portions of this LMG interview were previously published by CBR - this appears to be his entire interview...

Arrowverse's The Monitor Talks Crisis on Infinite Earths & Beyond
by Meagan Damore – on Jul 31, 2019  
https://www.cbr.com/crisis-on-infinite-earths-monitor-lamonica-garrett-interview/ 

A few weeks ago, executive producer Marc Guggenheim revealed work had begun on the crossover. Have they told you anything about it yet?
[LaMonica Garrett:]
Every time the Monitor, you see him on screen, his presence lends itself to the "Crisis." So yeah, he's not just coming to play Taboo night, you know? Each show has their own thing going on, their own villains to catch, their own stories to get through, their personal battles. But when the Monitor shows up, it's more of a "Crisis" moment. So I've been working. Whenever he's working, it's "Crisis" moment. "Crisis on Infinite Earths," that crossover hasn't started, you know, but like [Arrow showrunner] Beth [Schwartz] said, pretty much Arrow's whole season is a "Crisis" build up, you know, leading up to the "Crisis." So from day one on Arrow Season 8, it starts the "Crisis." It's a prelude to what's happening.
At the end of Arrow Season 7, the Monitor appeared to Oliver and enlisted him for his quest to warn the multiverse about "Crisis." How much will we see you in Season 8?
I think I'll be around. I'll be around kinda like last year, popping up on season finales here. One episode here, two episodes there. It's like he's one of those characters, which is fun, that he's a Where's Waldo kind of. When he comes, it's something ominous that's following you. So it just heightens whatever scene is going on, whatever presence that's already around. It heightens that moment, and it just reminds the audience that "Crisis" is around the corner. So it's one of those things. I won't be on, I don't think, one show every episode. But I will be bouncing around the universe, just to remind people like, "Hey, I got a big brother." That he's coming.
So you'll appear in the other Arrowverse shows as well?
He'll be around. Monitor, he's around. Yeah. So that's as much as I can say about that. You know, I can't tell you when, how and why. But he'll be around leading up to it.

How does the Monitor's relationship with Oliver evolve?
I think they're still at a stage. The rest of the superheroes included, they're trying to figure out if they can trust this guy. Because he comes in, you know, he's not doing the best intentions as far as the audience is seeing... But that was him in the comic book as well. He was an arms dealer to villains. He was doing bad things for a greater good, but you didn't know that at the moment. So I think they're just still trying to figure out if they could trust this guy. He says, "Come with me, and we'll do this." I'm just some guy that came that shows up in your living room... but they've seen how powerful he is. So you gotta roll with it.
You can't have the Monitor without the Anti-Monior. [sic] What can you tell me about him?
As a fan, I know all about that. He's the biggest of the biggest of the bads. He's that guy. And if he does make an appearance in "Crisis," I think that'll shut the internet down, as a fan. Like that's just that's the Anti-Monitor. That's what it's all about. We'll see. You know, who knows if it's coming, but I'm looking forward to it.

Edited by tv echo

Was the any info on the schedule/format of the crossover? Surely they know which shows are going where and when by now. I'm curious to see if they'll switch around timeslots again. I have a feeling they'll move Flash again, but I hope not.

Eric Wallace's (The Flash EP) comments on the Crisis crossover:

"I think *we* have perhaps the craziest thing to happen in our hour. Not that there’s not crazy things going on in all five, but it pretty big what happens, and the emotions that happen, I think, in our hour of the crossover… the emotional fallout of our hour of Crisis, when it comes, I think will devastate people. It’s sad! It’s really intense. So how do we recover from that? will be the question. So it’s going to be amazing."

"Barry has always seen Oliver as a mentor, so what happens when your mentor goes? Goes away permanently? It’s what happens to Luke Skywalker when Obi Wan disappears - Luke must rise up."

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/07/31/the-flashs-eric-wallace-says-hes-trying-to-get-mister-terrific-f/

Sounds like several deaths in The Flash portion.

• Useful 1

EXCLUSIVE: BLACK LIGHTNING TO APPEAR IN ‘CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS’
By Sean Steele - August 2, 2019
https://fandomwire.com/2019/08/02/exclusive-black-lightning-to-appear-in-crisis-on-infinite-earths/ 

FandomWire has learned that Black Lightning will be making an appearance in Crisis on Infinite Earths.
Sources close to FandomWire have stated that Black Lighting won’t have a massive role in the crossover, and will be more in line with how Batwoman was used in last year’s Elseworlds crossover.

• Love 3

During the Black Lightning Extra TV interview at SDCC Cress Williams said that there had been some talks about him appearing in Crisis and he may have to fly up to Vancouver. But nothing definite had been decided. So I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true.

• Love 1

I've only seen that Black Lightning thing on We Got This Covered, another site I consider sketchy at best. I'd love to see the Pierce family standing alongside the other heroes, though, and really how much would you need to haul to Vancouver to do it? (I'm trying to imagine Jen's reaction to all of them...)

• Love 2

With the recent discussion of Lynda Carter appearing, while I still don't think that she, who is nearing 70 years old, would get back into the satin tights, it did occur to me that the original show has undergone an HD remaster, so in theory she could do a spin and they could mix it with original footage (Wonder Woman is immortal, after all).

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, BaggythePanther said:

During the Black Lightning Extra TV interview at SDCC Cress Williams said that there had been some talks about him appearing in Crisis and he may have to fly up to Vancouver. But nothing definite had been decided. So I wouldn’t be surprised if this was true.

'Extra' Comic-Con Moment! Watch 'Supergirl' Cast Crash Our Interview with ‘Black Lightning’
Published on Jul 22, 2019, by extratv

-- On whether the Black Lightning cast will possibly be joining the COIE crossover in any way, Cress Williams: "Uh, I haven't heard anything officially, but, um, I've heard a lot of talk... Yeah, a lot of talk, but I haven't heard anything official yet. So I might be taking a trip... I've heard some talk, but I haven't heard anything official... It's going to be a logistical nightmare." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Great. I'm guessing mixing in Tobias is out for that crossover. I suggest than because his is an evil born of arrogance . . . and yet he's fun to watch. You gotta give me him over the likes of Diaz, Agent Liberty and Cicada(s), right?

27 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

It may well be that post-COIE, Black Lightening becomes part of the Arrowverse, which it hasn’t been until now.

Even if it does, they will rarely, if ever interact with the other shows. 

• Love 2
The upcoming “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossover will feature characters from “Black Lightning,” making their first appearance as part The CW’s larger shared universe that includes “Arrow,” “The Flash” and “Supergirl,” the network announced Sunday morning during the Television Critics Association press tour.
Additionally, Kevin Conroy will make an appearance on the five-hour event as Batman himself: Bruce Wayne. Conroy, who is well known for providing the voice for the Caped Crusader in “Batman: The Animated Series” and “Batman Beyond,” will appear as Bruce Wayne from the future.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

From GiveMeMyRemote's live blogging of Mark Pedowitz's executive session going on right now...
http://www.givememyremote.com/remote/2019/08/04/the-cw-at-tca-executive-session-live-blog-4/

10:01 AM: Why was the time right to have BLACK LIGHTNING in the ARROWverse? “This is a DC property we felt it might be the right time if [showrunner] Salim [Akil] was interested in it,” Pedowitz says of the universe bending crossover. “He is doing his own thing, and we would not have done it if he didn’t sign off on it.”

Edited by tv echo

Of course Supergirl gets the first episode. I think the newer Batwoman should be given the opening setup episode not Supergirl. Doesn't seem like a good sign for how the Supergirl characters will be treated. 

Wait, so we don’t get the whole thing in a single week? And I’m still thinking that this should play out like an old school network miniseries, as opposed to one episode per show.

Kevin Conroy as (a) Bruce Wayne. Cut to fans praying Mark Hamil wouldn’t have to do reshoots for Skywalker Rising so he could play (a) Trickster.

6 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

With them bringing in all these characters....what are the odds that they bring back The Hawks?

About as likely as the chances any of the Inhumans would appear in Endgame. But we did get Vandal Savage playing Jenga in hell, so . . . 🤷‍♂️🤔

• Love 2

I'm surprised the Arrow crossover episode will be in January. Will Arrow even have an episode that week in December?  Glad that Flash keeps its timeslot.

If Black Lightning characters are showing up, I hope they get to be on some posters.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Trini said:

I'm surprised the Arrow crossover episode will be in January. Will Arrow even have an episode that week in December? 

Arrow's final episodes are probably set to air as soon as Crisis ends so having their hour be in January makes sense. The Arrow hour being in December would no doubt leave casual viewers to assume it was the series finale while the January slot will allow the network to remind everyone that it will still have a couple episodes left.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Primal Slayer said:

I still don't know why they don't have 1 big writing team and 1 director for these crossovers. Especially thinking long term in terms of releasing the crossovers as DTV.

I definitely agree with this after last year when they had Iris not believe Oliver and Barry when they were telling her and the entire team they’d switched and then in the very next episode, it was all, “Iris knew!” 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, way2interested said:

I can't imagine the studio/WGA/DGA/etc. allowing that at all, that's why the crossover episodes are always done by their own teams as if they are normal episodes prodution-wise.

I think the only problem would be them having to negotiating new rates for the writers just like they do with the actors but there shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't be able to hire x amount of writers across all episodes, same with director. 

36 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think the only problem would be them having to negotiating new rates for the writers just like they do with the actors but there shouldn't be any reason why they wouldn't be able to hire x amount of writers across all episodes, same with director. 

But which show's budget does that come from? Which writers? If it's just for Crisis and they hire or promote separate writers for that, there would need to be a whole new contract/set-up to treat Crisis as a mini-series (which then involves the crew getting involved in the mess, which crew members are going to do the whole thing) rather than the episodes for their own shows. Why waste that money, especially with the diminishing returns of these crossover events, if the production can just treat it as one episode of the season and have contact with other writers who are all under the same studio anyway? And given the production schedule there would be no way that one director would be allowed/able to direct all five episodes at once.  Production-wise the way they have it now is the simplest way to try to stay on budget and on schedule as if a normal season while reaping higher ratings.

Edited by way2interested
  • Love 1

Actual scene. 

Delphi:  I don't think I care about the crossover this year. 

Cw: br is going to play superman!

Delphi:  intriguing,  but I have YouTube... so..

CW: oh,  we also got Kevin Conroy to play Batman. 

So sign me the hell up for this trainwreck. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 1

I also saw one story that referred, as one of the Legends EP's or writers did, to the Legends episode as a "special".  It sounds like their actual season premiere will be the following week, and the Crisis finale will be a 4x0A or 5x00 or something. It may not even count against their episode order.

2 hours ago, way2interested said:

But which show's budget does that come from? Which writers? If it's just for Crisis and they hire or promote separate writers for that, there would need to be a whole new contract/set-up to treat Crisis as a mini-series (which then involves the crew getting involved in the mess, which crew members are going to do the whole thing) rather than the episodes for their own shows. Why waste that money, especially with the diminishing returns of these crossover events, if the production can just treat it as one episode of the season and have contact with other writers who are all under the same studio anyway? And given the production schedule there would be no way that one director would be allowed/able to direct all five episodes at once.  Production-wise the way they have it now is the simplest way to try to stay on budget and on schedule as if a normal season while reaping higher ratings.

It's no different then the actors crossing over to each show. Each show gets an increase in budget and they each pay the writer/director. The actors are getting more money for this so the writer(s)/director getting more would be no different. They arent taking over as showrunners or EPs. 

1 hour ago, Trini said:

That's no surprise. Not only do we have the Worlds Finest in play now with those two, they will be the female version of Barry/Oliver practically down to a t in terms of personality. 

Thought: would Kevin Conroy be playing the Bruce Wayne from Kingdom Come?

ETA: Conroy played an older, gruffer Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond. Here's a scene from Justice League (the animated series) where Old Man Bruce shows his younger self how to interrogate criminals.

Edited by Lantern7

I’m wondering if the Black Lightning cast coming will mean their show will be brought into the rest of the Arrowverse? I’ve suspected that they might end with Supergirl with the rest of the shows on Earth One, or that being the only Earth after the Crisis, so maybe this means BL gets moved to Earth One as well.

4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

I’m wondering if the Black Lightning cast coming will mean their show will be brought into the rest of the Arrowverse? I’ve suspected that they might end with Supergirl with the rest of the shows on Earth One, or that being the only Earth after the Crisis, so maybe this means BL gets moved to Earth One as well.

If it does, I dont think it will have a big change on the series. Though I do wonder if they bring the Lightning family to Crisis how they will manage that from a production standpoint. I would think they'd just bring BL and have Thunder/Lightning take over for an episode on the main series.

• Love 3
26 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

If it does, I dont think it will have a big change on the series. Though I do wonder if they bring the Lightning family to Crisis how they will manage that from a production standpoint. I would think they'd just bring BL and have Thunder/Lightning take over for an episode on the main series.

How cheap is WB? There are already so many guest stars. They'll fly out Cress; I'm not sure about Nafessa and China, AND their supersuits. But if they can somehow coordinate it, maybe they can film the cameo/s in Atlanta and edit them in (assuming the scene is relatively simple).

2 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

If they do go down to 1 earth how will TF cope with not having a new Wells for the next 2 seasons.

I think they’re headed to have the original Harrison Wells, who died years earlier because of Reverse Flash, finally be the Wells. Just remember the post Crisis timeline for the one Earth will be different than any of the others nfinite esrths. I think that comes to bear on all of the Arrowverse shows, including FTA on Arrow, who might be older in 2040, and thus affect how a spinoff could be structured. I don’t think the CW wants to give any hints as to what will replace Arrow, and an FTA that’s not 20 years from now would be something they’d sit on.