Type keyword(s) to search

Crisis On Infinite Earths 2019: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Their Story

Message added by MarkHB

This thread is specifically for discussion of Elseworlds, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and speculation and spoilers directly pertaining to them.  Full rules for the thread are here; please read them.  Off-topic posts may be removed.

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/18/2019 at 10:31 AM, MarkHB said:

I think there's zero chance that that happened.  Given what they already learned logistics-wise from CoEX, I'm sure that Greg, Sarah, the individual showrunners and Pedowitz had already sketched out how things were going to work back when they were working up Elseworlds.

I also wonder about Black Lightning.  Obviously the show itself won't be in the crossover mix, but that show has also historically been very vague about which Earth it's set on with random mentions of Supergirl, etc.  I'd personally love to see the Pierce family fighting alongside the others.

I think a big problem with including Black Lightning is logistics. As you pointed out the producers are making adjustments so crossover filming can fit in during the regular season. This is made easier because the shows shoot so close together. With the Black Lightning cast shooting so far away in Atlanta it makes it difficult to include them in any significant way (which I think the Akils prefer).

I could see them showing up in one of Oliver's Adventures Across the Multiverse episodes (the same way Barry stopped by Supergirl when they were filming in California) because it’d be easier logistically. I just think squeezing them into the crossover is too much.

Edited by BaggythePanther
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I’d be open for Sara meeting Kate. But unlike before CoEX, I’m not asking for a hookup this time. After seeing Sara and Alex in bed, I felt guilty.

Besides, Sara hooked up with Alex before Sara and Ava were a couple (I don't think Sara had even met Ava yet at that point). I can't see Sara cheating on Ava with Kate or anyone else.

• Love 4

They have to figure out a way that Oliver lives because if he dies for Barry and Kara, there are going to be a lot of pissed-off Arrow fans who aren't going to be watching any repeats.

On 5/16/2019 at 3:20 PM, SimoneS said:

Thee comments complaining that Oliver should have stayed out of it and not made whatever bargain he made with the Monitor to "save" Barry and Kara completely misses the point of my comment so I repeat, "how Oliver can take Barry or Kara's places in the upcoming crisis? Their deaths in the comic crisis were the direct result of using their powers to save the earth/multiverse/whatever. Oliver doesn't have any powers so he cannot replicate their actions."

I thought it was because Oliver would find a way to save the multiverse so that Barry and Kara don't need to use their powers and thus don't die.

Barry and Kara have superpowers and that's what they use. Like Sara, Oliver is a tactician.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

They have to figure out a way that Oliver lives because if he dies for Barry and Kara, there are going to be a lot of pissed-off Arrow fans who aren't going to be watching any repeats.

I think they'll definitely find a way, but not because of that reason.

12 hours ago, BaggythePanther said:

I could see them showing up in one of Oliver's Adventures Across the Multiverse episodes (the same way Barry stopped by Supergirl when they were filming in California) because it be easier logistically. I just think squeezing them into the crossover is too much.

I could see maybe a cameo of one of the Black Lightning characters.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:10 PM, Featherhat said:

In Elseworlds Barry and Kara repeatedly brought up Oliver's mistakes and character flaws, they even had Lois get in only within minutes of meeting him. And we were supposed to agree with them I think. In return Oliver makes this deal because Barry and Kara are super awesome whitehats who are worth more than he is and we're not supposed to really disagree with that considering how many characters point it out. Whilst it's a brave, self sacrificing edit, it wasn't really "look how amazing he is" edit.

The deal Oliver made at the end is evidence that we are not supposed to agree with them. Despite his mistakes and character flaws, Oliver was selfless enough to sacrifice himself for others.  I don't get how we are supposed to view him as anything but honorable and sympathetic.

On 5/17/2019 at 8:10 PM, Featherhat said:

I've never felt Arrow gets favoured in crossovers, quite the opposite but of course YMMV.

That might be different this time around but Arrow is ending and the other shows aren't so that's why. Other characters will have further chances to do that when Oliver won't even be mentioned next year.

Here's the thing. Grant Gustin and the Flash producers have repeatedly claimed that Crisis was supposed to be their series finale. The fact that it was moved up and it's basically serving as an Arrow series finale is another reason why I believe that show gets favored. While you don't agree with my thoughts on past crossovers, you are willing to concede that this time it might be different because the show is ending. Except the fact that they are using what was originally conceived as the Flash series finale to maybe favor Arrow because this is their last crossover is what's making Flash fans upset.

I get that Oliver fans don't want him to die but there's no guarantee Barry and Kara will live happily ever after. For all we know, they could get killed in their own series finales without getting the chance to watch their families grow up. Their deaths may not even be as heroic or get as much fanfare as Oliver's.

Two words on Kate, I hope for no shipbaiting with Sara or anyone else. She has her canon love interest and I don't want that character to get hate right off the bat because of rival ships.

• Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Starry said:

I get that Oliver fans don't want him to die but there's no guarantee Barry and Kara will live happily ever after. For all we know, they could get killed in their own series finales without getting the chance to watch their families grow up. Their deaths may not even be as heroic or get as much fanfare as Oliver's.

Oliver has sacrificed his happiness for the greater good (or for someone he loves) more times than I care to think of during the course of Arrow. He literally never gets to be happy for longer than half an episode before it gets ripped away from him for some dumb reason or another. His sacrificing himself for Barry and Kara is an actual character trait that he demonstrates on his own show, that they are using to propel a storyline on the crossover. Misery and self-sacrifice are built into Arrow's DNA - if there's going to be a big sacrifice and someone's going to take the hit, it's going to be Oliver because it fits his character and the show's tone and fans of that show expect it at this point. 

I would be very pleasantly surprised if Barry or Kara were made to suffer any long-term consequences from any of this stuff because I just don't think it suits the tone of their shows. 

I don't need Oliver's death to be heroic or have fanfare. He's consistently heroic on his own show, so a crossover doesn't need to make up for it. Although it would be nice to see other characters with their own well-documented flaws not shitting all over him all the time for once. At this point I'm sure someone would manage to get a dig in at him during his own funeral. 

I really, really do hope that Barry and/or Kara (or literally anyone else) step up to the plate and do something huge to prevent Oliver from meeting the fate that the Monitor promised him. I'm 100% all for it. Please. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 10
(edited)

I think that COIE will start with Batwoman, Supergirl and Flash in 2019, with Oliver dying and Barry going missing in the Flash episode as the big cliffhanger. Then, after the break, COIE will conclude with LoT and Arrow in 2020. I think that Barry will be recovered in LoT and then the Arrow episode will deal with Oliver's death.

I also think that the Arrow crossover episode will pay tribute to the show that spawned all of the other DCTV shows in some way.

(1) If TPTB decide not to change the future, then they could copy Avengers: Endgame and have characters from all the other Arrowverse shows present at Oliver's memorial service. They could even include a Black Lightning cameo, since the different universes will all have become one universe by that point.

(2) If TPTB decide to change the future, then they could have the other franchise characters work together to save and bring back Oliver in present day.

In either case, they could still give Oliver a kinda happy ending or a very happy ending. In scenario (1), the other characters are unable to bring Oliver back and believe he is dead, but the Monitor rewards Oliver for his sacrifice by allowing him to stay alive in some branch reality pocket universe.  Or, in scenario (2), the other characters are successful in bringing Oliver back alive in the present day because the future has changed.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: ARE FLASH AND ARROW'S FINALES TEASING A MORE INTERCONNECTED ARROWVERSE?
BY JESSE SCHEEDEN   18 MAY 2019
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05/18/crisis-on-infinite-earths-the-flash-season-6-arrow-season-8-crossovers-supergirl-legends 

Both Arrow and The Flash just wrapped up their latest seasons. One thing both finales had in common (besides an emphasis on the heroic legacies of Oliver Queen and Barry Allen) is that they teased the upcoming "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover. In the case of Arrow, Ollie's happy retirement was interrupted by the Monitor, who informed him the time had come to honor the bargain they struck in "Elseworlds." On The Flash, the infamous newspaper headline declaring "Flash Missing, Vanishes in Crisis" suddenly changed. Recent alternations to the timeline have moved up the Crisis from 2024 to 2019.
We're not suggesting the entire Arrowverse will exist as one massive crossover throughout the latter half of 2019. The sheer logistics involved in coordinating four writer's rooms and dozens of actors for months on end would be insurmountable. But it does seem possible that each of the four shows might have a part to play in paving the way to "Crisis."
Comic book fans might picture DC's 2005 crossover Infinite Crisis, where DC published four separate but connected miniseries (Villains United, The Rann-Thanagar War, The OMAC Project and Day of Vengeance) in the summer that all set the stage for the main Infinite Crisis series in the fall. We could see the four ongoing Arrowverse shows playing a similar role, as each show is given its own mandate and uses the months of October and November to build towards the big crossover.
There's also the question of how Lyla Michaels may factor into the Crisis buildup. In the comics, Lyla is an orphan rescued by the Monitor and tasked with helping him prepare for the Crisis by testing the heroes of many worlds. Arrow has introduced Lyla's codename Harbinger, but it has yet to establish that connection to the Monitor. Will that change in Season 8? Or is Ollie filling that role himself? Either way, The Harbinger/Monitor relationship in the comics could offer some clues as to what the Monitor may want from Ollie now.

Edited by tv echo

I think the problem is that Arrow and Flash fans are both unhappy COIE is happening now. Most Arrow fans would have preferred season 7 be the end, with Oliver retiring and raising his child. Flash fans would rather COIE be the series finale and feature Barry’s sacrifice.

As an Arrow fan I’m annoyed that COIE, a Flash storyline, is going to be Arrow’s series finale. That doesn’t feel like favoritism, that feels like forcing the show to continue to fulfill a Flash storyline. 

As a Flash fan I don’t like that they’re making Oliver the center of a Flash storyline.

Basically, I hate this whole setup. I understand they want to go all out for Arrow’s final crossover but I don’t understand why it has to be COIE.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, tv echo said:

I also think that the Arrow crossover episode will pay tribute to the show that spawned all of the other DCTV shows in some way.

Didn't Pedowitz say that there would be an Arrow retrospective special? I think that will be the main tribute.

(edited)

When I said "pay tribute," I was thinking of something along the lines of Avengers: Endgame where we see all of these other franchise characters in the one scene honoring the character who started it all.

The Arrow retrospective, on the other hand, will likely focus on what's happened on Arrow over 8 seasons and Arrow characters.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, tv echo said:

I think that COIE will start with Batwoman, Supergirl and Flash in 2019, with Oliver dying and Barry going missing in the Flash episode as the big cliffhanger. Then, after the break, COIE will conclude with LoT and Arrow in 2020. I think that Barry will be recovered in LoT and then the Arrow episode will deal with Oliver's death.

(1) If TPTB decide not to change the future, then they could copy Avengers: Endgame and have characters from all the other Arrowverse shows present at Oliver's memorial service. They could even include a Black Lightning cameo, since the different universes will all have become one universe by that point.

(2) If TPTB decide to change the future, then they could have the other franchise characters work together to save and bring back Oliver in present day.

In either case, they could still give Oliver a kinda happy ending or a very happy ending. In scenario (1), the other characters are unable to bring Oliver back and believe he is dead, but the Monitor rewards Oliver for his sacrifice by allowing him to stay alive in some branch reality pocket universe.  Or, in scenario (2), the other characters are successful in bringing Oliver back alive in the present day because the future has changed.

Given the final scene in the Arrow finale (the one set in 2040 where the Monitor takes Felicity to join Oliver wherever he is after warning her that it's a one-way trip), I'd say that Scenario 1 is more likely.

• Love 1

A retrospective special makes me think of the actors, producers, directors and writers sitting around talking about the show while old clips are shown, not an crossover tribute by other characters to Oliver and Team Arrow.

10 hours ago, Starry said:

Here's the thing. Grant Gustin and the Flash producers have repeatedly claimed that Crisis was supposed to be their series finale. The fact that it was moved up and it's basically serving as an Arrow series finale is another reason why I believe that show gets favored. While you don't agree with my thoughts on past crossovers, you are willing to concede that this time it might be different because the show is ending. Except the fact that they are using what was originally conceived as the Flash series finale to maybe favor Arrow because this is their last crossover is what's making Flash fans upset.

You're making the Arrow fans point here:  COIE is a Flash story but again Arrow is getting bent out of shape in the crossover to suit another show.   I think Arrow would have ended at the end of season 7 if they didn't need it to set up the crossover, they talked Stephen Amell into doing 10 more episodes just for COIE, but in order to set it up they need to remove Oliver from his own city and basically from his own show thus Arrow has to be changed completely.  It's probably why many Arrow fans are considering 7x22 as the real end of the show.

Despite enabling the whole 'verse to exist at all, Arrow has always been the red-haired stepchild of the shows (for example, The Flash got its regular schedule altered so that they could have their 100th episode all on their own while Arrow's 100th was part of the crossover).

Every year I go into the crossover dreading what they will do to Oliver and Arrow in it.  If they do kill him permanently, this one will definitely be the worst of all.

• Love 7

Legends is the red-haired step child. Arrow is the first born who had to give up a lot for his younger siblings.

I'm actually thinking of Arrow 7.22 as the series finale and s8 as a Arrow Crisis event mini series. That's how it feels it's going to play out. We'll have Oliver doing things leading to his death/disappearance and his adult Children living with the consequences. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

You're making the Arrow fans point here:  COIE is a Flash story but again Arrow is getting bent out of shape in the crossover to suit another show.   I think Arrow would have ended at the end of season 7 if they didn't need it to set up the crossover, they talked Stephen Amell into doing 10 more episodes just for COIE, but in order to set it up they need to remove Oliver from his own city and basically from his own show thus Arrow has to be changed completely.  It's probably why many Arrow fans are considering 7x22 as the real end of the show.

Arrow probably would have been fine if Amell and Rickards wanted to stay for an eighth season.

Both shows (and maybe Supergirl) are getting bent out out of shape for the ratings-boosting, buzz-generating, DC marketing Crossover. I figure that they didn't need Arrow to do CoIE, but they wanted Green Arrow/Amell to be part of it. I don't watch Arrow, but I also think it's silly that they are changing the whole show for this event. The show could have ended, and Amell, etc. could make guest appearances in the other shows; but clearly TPTB thought differently.

• Love 4

The Monitor was in the Arrow finale but I feel like it was the Anti-Monitor who brought out Ma’alefa’ak J’onzz and (presumably) resurrects Lex in tonight’s Supergirl finale and I will continue to believe this until I get confirmation otherwise. They need to bring him in at some point before Crisis so why not now?  I guess one could be the Monitor and the other the Anti-Monitor but, again, I’ll need confirmation. 

• Useful 2
39 minutes ago, Trini said:

Arrow probably would have been fine if Amell and Rickards wanted to stay for an eighth season.

Both shows (and maybe Supergirl) are getting bent out out of shape for the ratings-boosting, buzz-generating, DC marketing Crossover. I figure that they didn't need Arrow to do CoIE, but they wanted Green Arrow/Amell to be part of it. I don't watch Arrow, but I also think it's silly that they are changing the whole show for this event. The show could have ended, and Amell, etc. could make guest appearances in the other shows; but clearly TPTB thought differently.

ITA. This is all about maximizing ad revenue for the network and producers and nothing to do with favoritism of one show over the other.

I will give a contrarian opinion. As a Flash fan, I am cool with the COIE being moved up for this crossover so that Arrow can be involved (I don't watch the crossovers anyway). I would hate for The Flash series finale to be Barry disappearing and us never knowing his fate. If Barry disappears and reappears for this crisis, the show will be less likely to do the same story for its finale.

• Love 1
(edited)
7 hours ago, tarotx said:

Legends is the red-haired step child. Arrow is the first born who had to give up a lot for his younger siblings.

I'm actually thinking of Arrow 7.22 as the series finale and s8 as a Arrow Crisis event mini series. That's how it feels it's going to play out. We'll have Oliver doing things leading to his death/disappearance and his adult Children living with the consequences. 

I think I that's exactly how it's going to play out ( watch us all be wrong). I think SA would have appeared in the crossover anyway just we wouldn't see him recruiting, the re fall of Star City and the mini me legacies like Legends will just turn up off season. If EBR had stayed on we'd have got the "going to join him in pocket universe scene or wherever he is" scene later or they'd have gone together, given that they went out of their way to give them a bittersweet but hopeful ending anyway and what is essentially a decent finale, which a something of a miracle so hopefully it doesn't preceed a scrappy 10 ep miniseries.

Once Elseworlds was planned out Arrow was locked in, even if it went 3 more seasons without SA. Whether it should have been or not is a different matter but they wanted the big finale and Oliver sacrificing home to save whole Arrowverse is fitting even if I'd much rather have something else separate.

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

ITA. This is all about maximizing ad revenue for the network and producers and nothing to do with favoritism of one show over the other.

I will give a contrarian opinion. As a Flash fan, I am cool with the COIE being moved up for this crossover so that Arrow can be involved (I don't watch the crossovers anyway). I would hate for The Flash series finale to be Barry disappearing and us never knowing his fate. If Barry disappears and reappears for this crisis, the show will be less likely to do the same story for its finale.

True, if the newspaper is about COIE they'll do something else for the eventual Flash finale, though I can see "appears to make the big sacrifice but turns out alive" happening in a different way since they reuse plots all the time.

I am salty about them mixing all this up malarkey but I can't say Arrow wouldn't have pull the big sacrifice or presumed dead like The Dark Knight Rises anyway, that's been predicted long before Elseworlds/COIE.

Edited by Featherhat
10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

We are not arguing the same point because I think Flash is the show that is getting bent out of shape to suit this crossover, with its series finale storyline being moved up/altered so Arrow can be a part of Crisis. Oliver and Arrow weren't needed to set up the crossover/suit Flash stories. The higher-ups clearly wanted Arrow to be a part of it so here we are. That's where we disagree.

I actually hoped until the last second that the newspaper Crisis wasn't COIE and that Flash could keep that Crisis for itself but the finale killed that hope.

I understand that some Arrow fans don't care about COIE or any of this big comic stories but from a producer's perspective having Oliver be in Crisis should be viewed as a honor. Choosing such a huge story to end the show and possibly pay homage to Oliver as the founder of the Arrowverse should be seen as a positive thing.

11 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Despite enabling the whole 'verse to exist at all, Arrow has always been the red-haired stepchild of the shows (for example, The Flash got its regular schedule altered so that they could have their 100th episode all on their own while Arrow's 100th was part of the crossover).

Every year I go into the crossover dreading what they will do to Oliver and Arrow in it.  If they do kill him permanently, this one will definitely be the worst of all.

Does it help that the Flash 100th episode wasn't good? I knew that it wouldn't be good and I personally wanted it to be a part of the crossover. I was still watching Arrow when their 100th aired and despite it falling on the crossover, it felt like an Arrow episode IMO. Barry and Kara were barely there.

I too always dread the crossovers. Kara is sidelined most of the time. The Supergirl cast is barely there. Barry gets dumbed down and important aspects of his character get ignored thanks to the showrunner's obsession with keeping Iris out of it, etc. Their crossover episodes barely feel like Supergirl or Flash episodes while I think with Oliver it's clear that he's important. He's usually the one leading whether it's an Arrow episode or not.

I thought the Arrow flashforwards were about a future that was set in stone and the only thing s8 and the crossover needed to do was fill in the blanks. You guys seem to harbor some hope though. Fingers crossed that they change it and Oliver doesn't die.

• Love 1

No Smallville. I'm sorry, but that brings up memories of wasted time and the worst Lois Lane ever. Teri Hatcher could have have played Lois the same way she portrayed her character on Desperate Housewives, and that still would have been better than Erica Durnace.

In regard to Arrow . . . maybe the final season takes place before Mia's birth, with Felicity staying behind in the cabin? I dunno.

(edited)

Last night's Supergirl season finale apparently also served to set up COIE - I didn't watch, but here's two media recaps...

https://ew.com/recap/supergirl-season-4-finale/

Elsewhere, a portal opens to disgorge the Monitor, who greets a Green Martian who’s been trapped for too long, a phantom to his people, who’s there to avenge himself against J’onn J’onzz, the brother who wronged him.

Finally, Lena apparently left Lex’s body where it fell, which is deliciously cold, but the Monitor arrives to work some kind of magic over him.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/19/supergirl-season-4-finale-crisis-on-infinite-earths-set-up/

As the events of the episode conclude, The Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) shows up speaking to a mysterious figure. He tells the figure that he's been trapped for too long and a phantom fo his people and that it's now his time to avenge himself against hs brother. The hooded figure? A Martian and the brother who wronged him none other than J'onn. Then, after that, The Monitor is seen visiting Shelly Island -- and Lex Luthor's body.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Hee! The Monitor stopped by LOT to catch the show they put on at Heyworld. He didn’t like the planned stuff but did enjoy watching the evil Tabitha interrupt and fight Sara while a dragon flew around. We also learned he’s a fan of popcorn. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Miss Dee said:

I said on Reddit that he's probably tweeting too. "These fools are needed to deal with the crisis? Someone's playing a cosmic joke. #DemLegends"

Joke's on him because the Legends can solve the Crisis all on their own. At the very least I expect them to come up with the battle plan since they've already used a version of it back in season 1.

• Love 4
(edited)

As noted above, there was not much COIE set-up in last night's LoT season finale, but LoT's showrunner gave some media interviews...

Legends Of Tomorrow Showrunner Talks Crisis On Infinite Earths Crossover, Season 5 And More
Laura Hurley   May 20, 2019
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2472033/legends-of-tomorrow-showrunner-talks-crisis-on-infinite-earths-crossover-season-5-and-more 

... While the Legends were busy trying to stop everything from falling apart, The Monitor showed up and frowned at the turn of events. He had less of a role in the Legends finale than he did in the finales of Arrow, The Flash, and Supergirl, but he was there to keep viewers' minds on the coming "Crisis on Infinite Earths."
... Since Legends of Tomorrow isn't returning for Season 5 until midseason in 2020, I asked showrunner Phil Klemmer if the Legends episode of "Crisis" would be the show's season premiere. This was his response:

"That's kind of a philosophical question. I think the way we're looking at 'Crisis' is it is something unto itself. You know, when we first started doing crossovers, every episode sort of contained the DNA of whatever its individual show. But I think this monster crossover that's coming up this year, we want it to feel like five chapters of its own thing. So philosophically you could say that Legends will begin afterwards, but our goal with doing the crossover is that it doesn't feel like individual episodes of any show, and it feels like a five-hour movie madness."

Legends of Tomorrow Boss Confirms [_____]'s Exit, Breaks Down Crossover Tease and Season 5's Big Bad
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 20 2019,
https://tvline.com/2019/05/20/legends-of-tomorrow-recap-season-4-finale-zari-leaves/ 

TVLine emailed Legends showrunner Phil Klemmer about Tala Ashe’s status with the CW series, what the crossovers’ Monitor was up to during his cameo, and more. Here are his answers.
TVLINE | What was The Monitor from the crossovers up to there in the stands, besides inhaling popcorn? Was he “taking notice” of the Legends and their skill sets?
I would say that the Monitor was taking notice of the Legends’ lack of skill sets. And yet somehow we got invited to participate in the [“Crisis on Infinite Earths”] crossover next season. Weird.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Summary of COIE teases from the 4 Arrowverse shows' season finales...

Everything We Know About Crisis on Infinite Earths
By NICOLE DRUM - May 21, 2019 
https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/05/21/everything-we-know-about-crisis-on-infinite-earths/#3

Arrow
In the final moments of Arrow's Season 7 finale, titled "You Have Saved This City," The Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) returned, seemingly to cash in on whatever deal he made with Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) during last winter's "Elseworlds" crossover event. It was a very direct clue that Crisis is coming and faster than expected, but it also revealed something big: Oliver Queen dies -- and that the world will need Mia Smoak in the future.
The Flash
Over the course of the show's five seasons fans have known that Crisis was coming to Central City in 2024, but tonight's season finale changed that in a dramatic way. Crisis is still coming, but now it's coming in 2019. You see, after the events of the episode -- the defeat of Cicada II, curing Gracie, and then dealing with a now-free Thawne -- things took a sad turn. Because Cicada's dagger was destroyed and thus allowed for Thawne to be freed as it had been dampening his powers in the future, a new timeline was created. As it started to take hold Nora began to disappear.

Nora ultimately opted to accept this consequence to her actions, but it wasn't until after she was gone that fans saw the full extent of them. In the Time Vault, Gideon starts to get new information that updates the newspaper headline from the pilot declaring The Flash missing. While it doesn't appear that everything about the headline changes something critical does. The date on the newspaper begins to roll back and while we don't see the specific month we do see the year: 2019.
Supergirl
As the events of the episode conclude, The Monitor (LaMonica Garrett) shows up speaking to a mysterious figure. He tells the figure that he's been trapped for too long and a phantom fo his people and that it's now his time to avenge himself against hs brother. The hooded figure? A Martian and the brother who wronged him none other than J'onn. Then, after that, The Monitor is seen visiting Shelly Island -- and Lex Luthor's body, which may be a tease that Lex's death plays some sort of role as a prelude to Crisis.
Legends of Tomorrow
During the Legends of Tomorrow season finale, the team comes up with the plan to use the Heyworld theme park to show the public there is nothing to fear from the monsters, thus kneecapping the demon Neron's plan. However, doing so would remove Zari from the team as it also fixes her dystopian future. Zari plans to stay on the ship to protect herself, but things go awry when Neron ends up killing Nate as part of a distraction to restore Ray's soul. Nate is saved, but Zari disappears, no longer a Legend.

The Monitor has been watching this all go down disapprovingly -- though he did indulge in some excellent snacking while watching. It's possible that fixing the future and removing Zari from the Legends team will be an issue in the coming Crisis.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

As noted above, there was not much COIE set-up in last night's LoT season finale,

You never know. Maybe the reveal that the Monitor likes popcorn will foreshadow a crucial scene involving snacks.

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

I really don't get this upcoming Crisis crossover.

As I understand it, in the comics, the purpose was to merge all the multiverse into one world.

But I really don't see the point of doing that here. Is it to make all the shows easier to crossover? That doesn't make sense to me because Arrow and Flash are set on the same Earth (and time) and and only ever crossover for mid-season events, plus Arrow is ending. And how will this affect shows like Black Lightning?

If the purpose is to kill off characters like Barry and Kara, I don't see the point, as it would end The Flash and Supergirl, both of which are popular shows. Oliver could be killed off, but that isn't going to make much of a difference seeing as Arrow is ending.

Could there be some sort of reverse Crisis, where every show ends up on a different Earth? That could be interesting, I suppose.

Is it just because Crisis is big in the comics and the various producers involved thought it would be interesting to do it in live action, but there won't really be any lasting consequences?

I'm rather curious. I don't like what I'm seeing so far. Arrow, which has always been the most grounded show, looks like it's set to have the most "magical" season of all next season. And this entire season of Supergirl (which I rather enjoyed) seems to have been a complete waste of time, seeing as they just resurrected the main antagonist of the season.

I just hope it's worth it.

(I hope this post makes some sort of sense).

• Love 2

Arrow and Flash fans both (rightfully) seem a little salty about how the Crisis is affecting their own shows. Legends fans don't seem too excited about it since those characters are minimized, when they actually even include them (and LoT would rather joke about a "hard pass" on the crossover anyway, lol). Are Supergirl fans stoked about the Crisis crossover?

The writers are really betting big on going all in with this so I really hope it's actually worth it for all the shows.

• Love 4
(edited)

These crossovers always bring high ratings and therefore, higher ad revenues so of course it is worth it to the CW/WB. By moving up The Flash's crisis, morphing it into COIE, and including ending Arrow, the CW/WB is banking on high ratings that bring in high ad revenues. This is why Mark Pedowitz, President of CW, was hyping this upcoming crossover to the major advertisers at this year's upfront. 

Edited by SimoneS
1 hour ago, Quark said:

Is it just because Crisis is big in the comics and the various producers involved thought it would be interesting to do it in live action, but there won't really be any lasting consequences?

Yes, this; and it's also marketing for CW and DC.

I think they do plan to have some big(ger than usual) consequences this time. Merging the shows would is a big possibility; and some characters might die or leave permanently. I think a universal time jump is a possibility, too.

I'd personally love more mini-crossovers between Flash and Supergirl as a result.

Unless they plan on having more mini crossovers between the 4 remaining shows, I don't get the point of merging the universes. 

As a Legends on fan, I wish the Legends would hard pass on this crossover too. I'd rather they stay in their own wacky bubble. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

By moving up The Flash's crisis, morphing it into COIE, and including ending Arrow, the CW/WB is banking on high ratings that bring in high ad revenues. 

I doubt that. The CW hasn't gotten high ratings or high ad revenues for years now, including the crossover episodes. CBS financial reports indicate that the shows earn 90% of their revenues elsewhere.

What they might be hoping for - not banking on - is improving those international revenues. Right now, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow still aren't available in multiple international markets, and WB is just starting to offer Batwoman.  But if WB tells those markets that Flash fans will only be able to find out Barry's fate and Arrow fans will only get to see Oliver's last moments on the crossover episodes, they might be able to license Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and new show Batwoman. 

Including a big superhero team-up just like Avengers: Endgame is another selling point. 

• Useful 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, quarks said:

I doubt that. The CW hasn't gotten high ratings or high ad revenues for years now, including the crossover episodes. CBS financial reports indicate that the shows earn 90% of their revenues elsewhere.

The ratings and ad revenues are relative to the various networks. The CW does have the lowest and makes most of its profits (if any) through syndication deals, but increasing ad revenue by having "relatively" high ratings in the key 18 to 49 demo does matter to the bottom line. If it didn't, the CW wouldn't bother to have an Upfront to sell advertising. 

The CW has had high "enough" ratings for various shows, The Flash in particular, that have led to increased ad revenue. Below is an article from Adweek about the CW's ad revenues and it mentions that the crossover from a couple years ago was a ratings success for the network. This is why The CW has continued to have the crossovers and give them a lots of publicity. Mark Pedowitz specifically touts the crossovers at the Upfront because they bring in more ad revenue. 

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/cbs-and-the-cw-both-wrap-their-upfront-sales-with-double-digit-cpm-increases/

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/cw-tv-upfront-volume-black-lightnng-charmed-1202837952/

Edited by SimoneS
  • Useful 1

I’m rereading the Crisis story and I’m curious if they’ll bring in Psycho Pirate before the crossover. Since Kate called Oliver about him at the end of Elseworlds I would assume a pre-Crisis appearance is most likely to happen on Batwoman but maybe they’ll leave him for just the crossover or do like the Monitor/Anti-Monitor and have him show up on all the shows as we move closer. 

I’m also curious if they’re going to do the full Harbinger part of the story or just make that one of Lyla’s doppelgängers and let her remain on Team Good Guys. If I had a say I’d go with doppelgänger like how Diggle isn’t a Green Lantern but one of his doubles is. I want my Diggle family to remain in tact. 

3 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

The ratings and ad revenues are relative to the various networks. The CW does have the lowest and makes most of its profits (if any) through syndication deals, but increasing ad revenue by having "relatively" high ratings in the key 18 to 49 demo does matter to the bottom line. If it didn't, the CW wouldn't bother to have an Upfront to sell advertising. 

The CW has had high "enough" ratings for various shows, The Flash in particular, that have led to increased ad revenue. Below is an article from Adweek about the CW's ad revenues and that the crossover from a couple years ago was a ratings success. This is why they have continued to have the crossovers and give them a lot of publicity. Mark Pedowitz specifically touts the crossover at the Upfront because they bring in more ad revenue. 

https://www.adweek.com/tv-video/cbs-and-the-cw-both-wrap-their-upfront-sales-with-double-digit-cpm-increases/

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/cw-tv-upfront-volume-black-lightnng-charmed-1202837952/

What those articles report is:

1. The CW requested - and got - CPM increases, which is the rate that they charge per 1000 viewers. That is not the ad buy rate, which is (mostly) based on that rate and the number of viewers. 

Because the number of viewers keeps slipping, the CW ad buy rates have also slipped. Flash did get a slight increase in the 2017 season because of that CPM increase - not because of ratings/viewers. It lost that increase for the 2018 season. Here are the rates for a 30 second ad, as reported by AdAge:

2015 - 2016 $70,687 

2016 - 2017 $60,660

2017 - 2018 $62,425 

2018 - 2019 $45,965 

Since the CW has to split ad revenue with its affiliates, the actual ad revenue is considerably less.

In 2018-2019, its Tuesday night competitors, who for the most part don't have to split ad revenue, charged:

$201,065 (ABC, The Connors)

$115,656 (ABC, The Kids Are All Right)

$135,960 (CBS, NCIS)

$193,410 (NBC, The Voice)

$111,898 (Fox, The Gifted)

The Gifted, of course, was just cancelled.

2. The second article states that the CW was able to increase its ad volume after expanding to six nights of television.

I'm not saying that the crossovers don't make good business sense for the CW and WB. If they didn't, we wouldn't be having Crisis. But I don't think this isn't about ad rates - the domestic ad revenue WB gets for Flash doesn't even cover production costs.

(See, also, why the CW was able to negotiate a separate rate sheet for its actors, allowing them to pay regular cast members as little as $4000 an episode, and why CW actors keep leaving anonymous comments on Variety articles complaining about their pay rate.)

• Useful 3

Psycho Pirate was seen during the Elseworlds crossover.  He was in Arkham.  One theory is that Oliver will take the harbinger role and that the 10 Arrow episodes will be him testing various heroes. 

9 hours ago, quarks said:

(See, also, why the CW was able to negotiate a separate rate sheet for its actors, allowing them to pay regular cast members as little as $4000 an episode, and why CW actors keep leaving anonymous comments on Variety articles complaining about their pay rate.)

Oof, no wonder they do so many con appearances! They could conceivably make more in a weekend than they do for an episode that took 7-10 days to film!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 5/17/2019 at 8:05 AM, apinknightmare said:

Me too. I would prefer if Arrow wasn't even involved with this crossover. Oliver gets shit on even for the sacrifices he makes that benefit other people. You'd prefer those people make heroic sacrifices? Cool, same. Let Barry and/or Kara die so they can get a sympathetic hero moment. Oliver couldn't even enjoy what little bit of time he knew he had left in his life as he knew it because yet another Allen had to go and mess with the timeline again. Let Barry or Kara suffer - I'm all for it. 

I'm for Barry being the one to sacrifice. Kara hasnt fucked up the timeline, Barry has 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

The Legends might - not sure what their shooting schedule will be but with a mid-season debut this time the cast might be free to swap out from their own schedule here and there, or even have the whole team shoot an "Arrow" episode. Who knows?

• Love 1

I don't think the the Arrow writers would be able to write for the entire cast, but I could see Oliver meeting up with Ray and Sara. Oliver/Sara is one of my favorite Arrowverse friendships so I hope they get some screen time together before Arrow officially ends.

• Love 5

I am tired of Arrow having to give more room to the cast from other shows. Arrow has to close chapters for its own characters, and it seems the Legends character always come on Arrow for the heavy stuff so they can be carefree on their own show. I also think people overestimate how much time will be spent on Oliver and monitor. Especially with Arrow still going forward with their 2040 timeline and 2019 timeline in Star City without Oliver.

• Love 4
(edited)

Stephen Amell Panel - MCM London Comic Con - 25/05/2019 [AUDIO ONLY]
Published on May 26, 2019, by epoc252
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA2yUHHo2CY

-- On what he can say about the COIE crossover, SA: "It's five episodes... I will tell you - yes, I can tell you stuff - Uh, Crisis On Infinite Earths begins before the crossover... It begins before the crossover. But that makes sense, right? Think about it for a second. Crisis On Infinite Earths basically began at the end of Season 7 of Arrow. And it's not going to stop until it's over."

Tyler Hoechlin at the Live Stage MCM COMIC CON LONDON 2019
Published on May 26, 2019, by Hollywood News Source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQD-d8fn3Vc

-- (If you recall, the Supergirl season finale teased the Monitor appearing over Lex Luthor's body at the end.) During this panel, TH was asked if we can look forward to seeing him with Jon Cryer in the future on DCTV shows and he replied: "I mean, you can always look forward to anything you want to.... I got no promises or guarantees of any kind at this point, so. ... You never know, we'll see what comes up."

-- Later in the panel, a fan asked TH if he could tell them "definitively" whether or not he'll be a part of Crisis On Infinite Earths. TH replied: "Um, I can't for [unintelligible words] reasons. One, because I can't. Two, because even if I could, I couldn't."

Arrowverse Panel From Sunday At MCM London Comic Con - May 2019
Published on May 26, 2019, by Geektown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhq0ZxQcZDg

-- On whether we'll be seeing him again, TH: "I don't know. I genuinely don't know. I've got my - I know there's a big crossover coming up, so I've got my fingers crossed that we'll figure something out. So I hope to see these guys again, yeah."

Edited by tv echo
(edited)
On 5/26/2019 at 2:38 PM, BaggythePanther said:

I don't think the the Arrow writers would be able to write for the entire cast, but I could see Oliver meeting up with Ray and Sara. Oliver/Sara is one of my favorite Arrowverse friendships so I hope they get some screen time together before Arrow officially ends.

I would be surprised if we didn't get an Oliver/Sara scene in COIE or next season on Arrow.

FYI, during the Arrowverse panel at MCM London Comic Con (video posted above), when asked who was his favorite Canary, SA: "Um, my favorite Canary that I got a chance to work with? I mean, Caity Lotz and I were like ride-or-die in Season 2 and we're doing all this stuff, the flashback stuff. You really can't overstate, um, Emily and David got to experience it during the first episode of the second season. That island stuff is hard. And Caity Lotz and I had some days where we were just sitting in a tent with rain dripping on us, just being sad, but spending a lot of time together. So I thought I - I'm very, very proud of what Caity has done with the Sara Lance character." 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

Don't tease me Amell. I want lots of Sara/Oliver content in Crisis. I'm not at all surprised that Sara's his favorite Canary so I'm hoping this will give us (me) some good stuff come crossover.

• Love 6