Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

MrMattyMatt, on 14 Jun 2014 - 06:59 AM, said:

Green Bean Casserole

I wondered if that was what it was supposed to be, but it looked so runny...and white.  Maybe the recipe Anna uses calls for more soup than green beans! LOL. All I know is that I make green bean casserole sometimes and it looks nothing like that.

• Love 3

Kill me now, but I actually learned something from a Duggar last week.  I had never seen that whole "put oil in a measuring cup before the honey" thing.  So I gained new knowledge.  From Jinger Duggar.  Si-i-i-i-i-i-igh.

I must admit it, I liked this tip too... who knew I'd ever incorporate anything from the Duggars into my kitchen?

One recipe I did try wasn't one you ate. It was the homemade laundry detergent! It did get the clothes clean but had no "scent" in it. They gave examples of how to add some, but I didn't. If you generally spend $10 for laundry detergent it was a good way to save money. I think I spent 2-3 dollars on a two month supply for us! 

Do you happen to remember the recipe or know where to get it?  I made homemade laundry detergent once and it was kind of a disaster, but if there's a better 'recipe' out there I'm all for trying it.

I loved their snack recipe of scarfing frozen blueberries out of a torn plastic bag.

@NikSac the ingredients are:

4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax

If you search Duggar laundry soap it'll take you right to the correct page. I grew up with all those items in the laundry room and Mom added them to Tide as needed for different loads.

(ok, I think I did that right and kinda neat if it works. One of the mods gave a tip of putting @ in front of a posters name and they will have notice that they appeared in a post)

I loved their snack recipe of scarfing frozen blueberries out of a torn plastic bag.

@NikSac the ingredients are:

4  Cups - hot tap water

1  Fels-Naptha soap bar

1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*

½ Cup Borax

If you search Duggar laundry soap it'll take you right to the correct page. I grew up with all those items in the laundry room and Mom added them to Tide as needed for different loads.

(ok, I think I did that right and kinda neat if it works. One of the mods gave a tip of putting @ in front of a posters name and they will have notice that they appeared in a post)

@Almost 3000 it worked!  Thank you!  I have that stuff in my laundry room too. I'll have to give it another shot on the homemade detergent.

Sadly I find myself wondering if the detergent tastes better than the tater tot casserole... don't plan to test it out, but I do wonder.

When made properly, Green Bean Casserole is delicious. However, the soup mixture is supposed to coat the green beans, not drown them. It's painful to watch the Duggars completely murder these recipes.

Thank you. I'm glad someone spoke up for green bean casserole. I know great cooks never use soups, but I'm not a great cook so I do. I use the Heart Healthy ones , but I use them as ingredients. It is supposed to be the lightest coating. Similarly my kids loved tator tot casserole and it was a good place to slip in a mix of vegetables. 

• Love 1

GBC a favorite for my family too. The current generation has tweaked it to be more healthy and has come up with some pretty good substitutes. Currently we're doing fresh cooked vegies but I make a side dish we call Double Onion Cassorole to replace the GBC. Take a bag or two of frozen pearl onions mix with homemade white sauce with a bit of grated cheese melted into it and top with french fried onions and bake. Satisfies the cravings for both the GBC and Mac & Cheese sides. (well almost)

• Love 3

When made properly, Green Bean Casserole is delicious. However, the soup mixture is supposed to coat the green beans, not drown them. It's painful to watch the Duggars completely murder these recipes.

I agree... I should've spoken up for the Green Bean Casserole sooner hehe.  I am actually kind of known for my green bean casserole in my family and I bring it to pretty much every holiday meal.  Unless everyone's lying to me (including the people who practically lick the pan clean) it's good. However, it doesn't involve drowning green beans in cans of salty cream. I think that's the big difference.

• Love 2

0ooh, that pearl onion recipe sounds delish! I adore onions in any form, so I know I would love that one.

Who knew there were so many GBC aficionados on one forum? Maybe we should do a tutorial and send it to Anna...

• Love 2

Who knew there were so many GBC aficionados on one forum? Maybe we should do a tutorial and send it to Anna...

Lol no kidding. We all like GBC but all hate the way it was 'cooked' on the show.

I like the idea of sending the recipe to Anna but I don't think I can come up with enough canned products for her to actually cook it.

Both of my college-aged daughters wear the flowers in their hair, and they each receive a lot of positive comments. I much prefer these benign expressions of youth to the more permanent trends I see other youngsters sporting, such as large ear gauges and poorly-done tattoos. 

BTW, we are also in Michigan.

• Love 2
(edited)

I am incredibly curious about Jill's pinterest, but no luck finding it.

I know that the makeup can seem a bit much sometimes, but makeup can be very individualized. I'm up for anything that helps any J'Slave stand out from fellow J'Slaves.

Jana particularly though, still wears these really sad-looking, long jumpers that age her terribly.

Wasn't there an episode where JB was running a 5k in jeans? And the boys tagged along, and Jim Bob was like, "It's absolutely great to run in jeans!" Please.

Also chiming in, I wear flowers in my hair on occasion. Needed a barrette and they're cute to me is all.

Edited by ScullyInApt42

I was in the grocery store once back when I lived in Vegas and saw a group of women who, I swear to God, were in one of those polygamy cults. They all had that mousy hair with the gigantic rolled back pouf on top and braid down the back, long 1800's style dresses with puffed sleeves and lace-up ankle boots. It was freaky how you couldn't distinguish one from the other.

At least the Duggars are limping along into the 21st century. I'm eager to see what Jill does for her wedding.

• Love 1

I am glad they are over the crunchy perm phase (all except J'Chelle and her poodle coiff).  I can recall an episode a few years back that had a secondary storyline regarding doing home perms.  I think they did it out of sheer boredom.

• Love 1

I make a green bean casserole that my kids love. It consists of fresh green beans, homemade sausage gravy and topped with carmelized onions. It really is good as a once in a while offering.

• Love 5

I hate how Mullet and Boob wear matching colors. One of the worst things Boob has done was wading into the Dead Sea wearing jeans to stop some young Israeli men from talking to the J'slaves.

• Love 3

I love green bean casserole. In fact, my family always makes extra on holidays so that there will be extra leftovers for me. What I can't comprehend is how in the world you could mess up the recipe for that casserole since it only has 4 ingredients. SMH

Something that is eaten with spoons. I saw a pic today of Duggars at Sam's Club pushing around palettes of stuff. Amongst the stuff: about 3000 plastic spoons.

I'm going with cake and ice cream, every parents' nightmare (and lord knows there will be a shit ton of kids running around).

God, all that sugar would make me nauseous.

I remember when the Duggars made some horrid punch concoction consisting of Mountain Dew with scoops of ice cream. I felt pre-diabetic just looking at it. Speaking of which, Smuggar's diet didn't last too long, did it? He's paunchier than ever.

I don't think spending $25,000 for a wedding reception is necessarily wise, but really folks, why don't they have it simply catered? It doesn't have to be an elaborate sit down dinner, as I understand that's not their custom, but ANY restaurant would gladly and elegantly provide many appetizers, hot and cold for such an occasion. It is all unnecessary work and it will look cheap, too, I'm sure. We can expect more cheese chunks on toothpicks prepared with bare hands and lots of hair! Jim Bob can certainly afford a nice catered reception with "heavy hors dourves" (hope I spelled that right), and appetizers, punch, other beverages, cake, coffee and hot tea. IMO, they are hicks. ( I don't mean to insult any rural citizens, I, myself life in a rural area,) but they just don't have any taste or elegance about them, and it doesn't take a lot of money to accomplish that...

I hope they got the kind of spoons that look like silverware and not the white plastic cheap kind....but I think I know better.

• Love 1

^I agree! It's so much easier from a planning standpoint to have a wedding catered. It would have cost JB maybe $1000 or a little less if he supplied the tableware and/or picked cheaper items to have (I'm using my recent experience with a caterer as a gauge so YMMV). Not to mention the caterer probably would have given a discount if their name was featured on the show. 

I don't think spending $25,000 for a wedding reception is necessarily wise, but really folks, why don't they have it simply catered? It doesn't have to be an elaborate sit down dinner, as I understand that's not their custom, but ANY restaurant would gladly and elegantly provide many appetizers, hot and cold for such an occasion. It is all unnecessary work and it will look cheap, too, I'm sure. We can expect more cheese chunks on toothpicks prepared with bare hands and lots of hair! Jim Bob can certainly afford a nice catered reception with "heavy hors dourves" (hope I spelled that right), and appetizers, punch, other beverages, cake, coffee and hot tea. IMO, they are hicks. ( I don't mean to insult any rural citizens, I, myself life in a rural area,) but they just don't have any taste or elegance about them, and it doesn't take a lot of money to accomplish that...

I hope they got the kind of spoons that look like silverware and not the white plastic cheap kind....but I think I know better.

and its all done with volunteer help. Michelle in particular sure gets a lot of help and we never see her actually doing anything for anyone else except talk about support which usually means showing up with the army and standing around. They are such a J.O.Y.

Jason, James, Jeremiah, Jedidiah, and Justin should have been pulled off the buddy teams long ago.  Jackson really shouldn't need an older buddy either but I fear he still does.  Johannah shouldn't need much of a buddy either. 

I think, just based on observation and wild guessing, that everyone older than Jackson has graduated out of their buddy. Just based on how often Jackson is put with the little girls, instead of the howlers.

NOTE FROM MOD:  I have deleted a few posts that involved speculation on the possible sexual orientation of one of the minor children.  Mods and site admin are coming up with a formal policy that will prohibit discussion of sexual issues or sexual orientation concerning minor children on reality shows UNLESS that issue is specifically referenced in the show.  We just think it will be safer all around and avoid possible issues.

So please do not even speculate about such things here unless and until it is actually raised in the show (which seems unlikely).  The kids 18 and older are fair game as long as it is not discussed offensively.  I will automatically delete any and all posts on this topic concerning the minors without notice.  Thank you.

• Love 2

No problem, @PecanSandie.  I know it's a topic that is discussed some places, and as mods we went back and forth on it, but it was decided best to err on the side of caution in this case. 

We still love you!!  :-)

• Love 1

A better look at Michelle's dress at Jill's wedding. I'm surprised she didn't opt for a turtleneck for modesty's sake. :

67bweZm.png

OK, this is a mess on so many levels.

1) The 1988 bi-level mullet-do.

2) The insert of curtain-quality brocade. That thing looks like an assisted-living bib.

3) The necklace which looks like she spit up tapioca on her assisted-living bib.

4) The wintery satin fabric of the whole thing, which is too tight and also choking her (which might explain the tapioca blob).

5) The groomsman boutonniere.

6) The nutty look on her face.

7) The styrofoam cup.

Otherwise....um....her nalis look nice?

• Love 10
(edited)

I'm pretty sure she could have found a suitable mother of the bride outfit in a department store that came with a higher neckline in the first place. Of course, buying something lower cut and obviously modifying it calls that much more attention to just how "modest" you are.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 9

Oh yes.  I have found a suitably not exposing cleavage and sleeved MOB/G dress for every wedding.  You do have to wade through all the dresses made for 35 to 40 year olds, but they also have the fully covered ones.  I wonder if she borrowed that dress from Kelly who wore the same dress and maybe that exact dress to a wedding last fall when it was appropriate.  All that polyester in June in Arkansas makes me itch just looking at it.

• Love 1