Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

I also think obedience makes some children perfect targets for predators. I am sure the Duggars don't realize this, but vulnerable children told to obey and keep secrets are what predators look for. Although I suppose the Duggars are never really alone with adults they don't know.

• Love 12

There has been media about it and a push to get Amazon to ban the book. Michael Pearl suggests the use of plumbing pipe, wooden spoons and other available items to "train" your children. Its much more than immediate responses, its child abuse.

It was stated on the TWoP forum that pre-shows, Michelle (already somewhat of a celebrity in QF circles, mind you) once recommended a particular brand of flexible ruler for "blanket training" - when criticized, the internet post was immediately deleted.  They deny it now, but they absolutely did follow Pearl's book for a number of years. 

• Love 1

The Duggars must have some kind of super-ninja powers when it comes to the internet, because most of their controversial pre-fame interviews have pretty much vanished. I remember when the first specials were airing that there were a lot of interviews with Michelle singing the praises of blanket training, but now you would have an easier time finding bigfoot then those interviews.  

• Love 6

I'd love to know more about the "Sin in the Camp" situation that went on several years back regarding Josh.  Also wasn't there something that went on where the Duggars were going to be on Oprah or do something with her and she completely shut it down after finding out something scandalous about them?   Maybe we need a new thread to discuss the facts/rumors about that?

(edited)

The Duggars must have some kind of super-ninja powers when it comes to the internet, because most of their controversial pre-fame interviews have pretty much vanished. I remember when the first specials were airing that there were a lot of interviews with Michelle singing the praises of blanket training, but now you would have an easier time finding bigfoot then those interviews.  

I think part of the issue is due to TLC and the production company having people whose soul job is to run interference on that type of stuff.  They'll get things removed from search engines and expunged pretty quick- teams of lawyers are good at that.  The other issue at play is that Jim Bob was, and forever will think like, a politician and a used car salesman.  He's not stupid.  He knows that your reputation is everything and, if you notice, all of their controversial crap and whacked statements were only EVER posted on their own websites.  Pre-show, they had a family run website that was full of creepy shit.  You can find some, but not much, that was copy/pasted to other sites, using the way back machine online.  But, when the Duggars needed stuff to disappear, they simply pulled the site and tossed the server.  Also, their really hardcore AT I years predate fundamentalists using the net.  Most fundy families didn't want computers and tv in the home, some still don't, so they actually had little newsletters and snail mail journals that circulated.  THAT was the gold mine of Duggar news.  

I'd love to know more about the "Sin in the Camp" situation that went on several years back regarding Josh.  Also wasn't there something that went on where the Duggars were going to be on Oprah or do something with her and she completely shut it down after finding out something scandalous about them?   Maybe we need a new thread to discuss the facts/rumors about that?

I think that all turned out to be false.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 2

Yes, "Sin in the Camp" was totally debunked. It was traced back to someone who had many names on the interwebz over the years, but was outed as the same person (who also claimed to know Jon & Kate, and played Razing Ruth, for those keeping score) last year.

• Love 1

One recipe I did try wasn't one you ate. It was the homemade laundry detergent! It did get the clothes clean but had no "scent" in it. They gave examples of how to add some, but I didn't. If you generally spend $10 for laundry detergent it was a good way to save money. I think I spent 2-3 dollars on a two month supply for us! 

• Love 1

How was the soap on the clothes? Did it fade or damage the fabric at all?

I saw the PW epi where she did the chicken-etti and I thought it looked equally as horrible as the slop Anna made. The absolute worst was Anna's green bean casserole which consisted of a handful of green beans drowning in a cream of sodium soup mixture. For women who pride themselves on their domestic skills, the Duggars are painfully shitastic cooks.

• Love 3

For women who pride themselves on their domestic skills, the Duggars are painfully shitastic cooks.

They could do a crossover with Chopped, and they'd know exactly what to do with the canned chicken, canned asparagus, and pudding cups.

Seriously, most of this stuff looks like it was dredged up from the worst of the 1950s. Or this, the Lileks Gallery of Regrettable food.

• Love 1

From lurking on TWOP for a few years as well as FJ, I think the story goes that Oprah was going to interview Michelle and the older girls and then give the four older girls full scholarships to a college of their choice so they could get their nursing degrees (or any degree they wanted, this was just the party line at the time that the girls wanted to be nurses). Because the Duggars don't believe higher education is necessary, they (not the girls) turned down the offer and the four older girls and Michelle did not appear on the show as a result. 

I have no idea if it's really true, but if it is it's another infuriating aspect of the Duggar parents. 

Oh, yes, Razing Ruth was indeed a complete fake. She was really a housewife in Santa Barbara who had pulled stunts like this related to other reality shows.

I had no idea about this! Makes sense since she was, after all, shilling for money on her blog. Her blogs also seemed way too well-written for a SOTDRT degree. 

• Love 1

Last week I saw Joy churning out neat, picture perfect mini loaves of whole wheat bread. Then I saw the recipe posted on the Duggar Family fan website. It just didn't look like it would work. It used yeast and only rose for 25 minutes. Then it had a lot of oil and honey - I thought that much liquid would make it soggy. Then I noticed it used ground wheat. When I make whole wheat bread, it uses half white and half whole wheat.

So I seriously doubt those perfect little mini loaves were from that recipe. I wonder if they bought the bread from a bakery, put it in the oven and took out the 'home-baked' bread as soon as the cameras were rolling.

If I had some spare time I'd try that recipe just for the heck of it.

Someone on FJ tried their recipe and wasn't that impressed. They said it was really thick and wasn't that flavorful. 

• Love 1

I watch the Duggars on Netflix and noticed a lot of editing from what was shown on TV, For example, the scenes of a baby Jordan wandering alone in the TTH and scenes of Jordyn being allowed to climb and then crawl down that giant staircase are gone.

• Love 1

About the Duggars & media- wouldn't it be great if when Smugger was out of town- if they have at least basic cable- Anna was watching shows like The Bachelorette? Hee hee!

• Love 1

The editing disgusts me, I have to say.  I too have noticed controversial scenes missing in later airings of shows, and it ticks me off.  I know reality shows are far from reality, but their utter inability to deal with any negative commentary is ridiculous.  Doesn't the Bible say some pretty harsh things about liars?

• Love 6

I feel like I need to put out a PSA for all womankind (Duggars included since they have done this) when I say: STOP PUTTING HUMONGOUS FAKE FLOWERS IN YOUR HAIR.

They look terrible on everyone, babies included. 

• Love 14

Let's talk about flip flops, shall we? I love a good comfortable pair in the summer, but there's a time and place, that time and place is not running a marathon or making your way through a South American jungle.

• Love 7

I'm so glad they've modernized their hair; but I can't help but wonder why all of a sudden they have.  When did makeup become allowed too?  So glad they're out of those jumpers and crappy fitting shirts, but I know they only have them now because they have enough money.  If they were'nt on TLC, there is no way they could dress as decently.

(edited)

Yes, J'Chelle had an excessive amount of makeup on in the first specials about the Duggars.  She explained that they want to draw attention to their contanance or face.

Edited by MrMattyMatt

Yes, J'Chelle had an excessive amount of makeup on in the first specials about the Duggars.  She explained that they want to draw attention to their contanance or face.

Isn't that the most interesting theological concept -- wear very bright makeup so people look at your face? I wonder whether that was the Apostle Paul or perhaps it was Luke, yes must have been Luke. Luke appreciated women. 

• Love 7

Thank God the make up was toned down. And J'Chelle's hair.  The self tanner is excessive. Do these kids idolize Snooki when J'Chelle and Boob aren't looking? "We can do anything in flip flops". Duggar fashion has become more modern. I hope it continues to evolve. 

(edited)

The flip flops piss me off. Just you can, doesn't mean its okay for you go hiking in South America in flip flops. They are all gonna have a severe foot issues when they get old. 

Edited by BollywoodLover
  • Love 7

Generally their style isn't really my cup of tea, not just the skirts thing, but they tend to be very frilly. I'm not the hugest fan of the flower in the hair thing but I see a lot of girls, older teens, maybe college-age too wearing them and they all look cute. I think the evolution of their style has been very interesting. This past season especially, the older girls' dresses that end above the knee, the little girls wearing "dresses" that are clearly long tops with leggings.

I also appreciate comments like Jill's about what she's "comfortable" in because that's really what it's about. 

By going on Pinterest, you can find fundie heaven (God, they love the place...probably because it tends to be 'girly')....Jill follows someone who explains her personal choice to wear skirts and dresses. After expounding about how comfortable they are and how you can do everything all day long in them, including backyard activities with the kids.......she gets to the bottom line which is that she doesn't want to be mistaken for anyone in, or appear to be affiliated with, the GLBT community. So, no, I'm not buying the 'comfortable' party line. Not at all.

In fact, it was very depressing. I think they try to hide their core beliefs from the TLC viewers. All Duggars included.

• Love 6

Ugh, I just checked my cable listings. Are we seriously going to have to sit through two hours of Cousin Amy tonight? What sadistic TLC exec made that decision? Prepare for attention-whoring and off-key warbling folks!

• Love 1

I am just glad Cousin Amy escaped the fundie lifestyle. It is amazing how different Jim and his sister raise their kids, night and day. Yes she can be slightly annoying at times, but I am just glad one Duggar has the freedom to pursue a dream without chaperones and the freedom to chose what she wants to wear as well the man she wants to date.  Amy got lucky.

• Love 3
(edited)

Edit: I think my comment is more general Duggar disgust rather than clothing related. Obviously I wasn't blanket trained properly. I'm going to move it. I bes sorry.

Edited by ramble
  • Love 5

By going on Pinterest, you can find fundie heaven (God, they love the place...probably because it tends to be 'girly')....Jill follows someone who explains her personal choice to wear skirts and dresses. After expounding about how comfortable they are and how you can do everything all day long in them, including backyard activities with the kids.......she gets to the bottom line which is that she doesn't want to be mistaken for anyone in, or appear to be affiliated with, the GLBT community. So, no, I'm not buying the 'comfortable' party line. Not at all.

In fact, it was very depressing. I think they try to hide their core beliefs from the TLC viewers. All Duggars included.

What about the transgender women who are so happy to finally identify as women that they also wear skirts or dresses all the time? Her explanation both confuses and sickens me.

• Love 7

I remember the Razing Ruth site. Wow. I even brought it up with a couple of people I was friendly with on TWOP, yet everyone still believed her. I again brought up that I thought her story wasn't real on the FreeJinger site (and stopped looking at long ago when those mods were up to questionable shenanigans), and still, no one batted an eye when I had mentioned that I saw that the name Razing Ruth had used on TWOP (ofduggar..certainly indicates she was familiar with the Handmaid's Tale)....referenced on one occasion that she had been a "young mom". She scammed at least $12,000 from readers of her site over the years, according to the researcher who finally managed to expose her. 

• Love 1

I'm so glad they've modernized their hair; but I can't help but wonder why all of a sudden they have.  When did makeup become allowed too?  So glad they're out of those jumpers and crappy fitting shirts, but I know they only have them now because they have enough money.  If they were'nt on TLC, there is no way they could dress as decently.

I've been wondering about the makeup also. Jessa has been piling it on lately.

After expounding about how comfortable they are and how you can do everything all day long in them, including backyard activities with the kids.......she gets to the bottom line which is that she doesn't want to be mistaken for anyone in, or appear to be affiliated with, the GLBT community.

Oh, what I would give for the opportunity to take her to Lucky Chang's. Mind would be blown to smithereens.

• Love 1

Makeup has never been frowned upoon.  J'Chelle was virtually a clown in the first specials.  The Girls never wore any as they were too young, but it became consistant as they grew older.  They seemed to have discovered eyeliner (or at least how to apply it correctly) for the book tour.

• Love 1
(edited)

What about the transgender women who are so happy to finally identify as women that they also wear skirts or dresses all the time? Her explanation both confuses and sickens me.

Or what about these sexay Scotsman who wear kilts. I think they did got to Scotland at one point, but they really didn't touch upon it. 

Edited by BollywoodLover