Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Goodwill: Goodwill Industries International is not a business that takes in donated items and resells them for a profit. It is a not-for-profit organization that provides job training, employment placement services and other community-based programs for people who have disabilities, lack education or job experience, or face employment challenges. Goodwill raises money for their programs through a chain of thrift stores which also operate as non-profits.

The CEO of Goodwill Industries International is not Mark Curran, nor does he make $2.3 million a year. The current President and CEO of Goodwill is Jim Gibbons, who in 2011 received a total reported compensation of  $725,000.

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/charities.asp#df7VohRgfYGQv9mv.99

You have to read the whole article to see how each charity lines up with the original email.  Goodwill does do good and no reason to feel guilty shopping there and if the Duggars shop there, at least their money is doing something good.

• Love 2

There was a swimsuit for Muslim women that came out a couple of years ago. I think the colloquial name was a burkini. I wonder if that would meet the Duggar modesty standards. But that swimsuit also covered the hair and had pants so maybe not.

You have to read the whole article to see how each charity lines up with the original email.  Goodwill does do good and no reason to feel guilty shopping there and if the Duggars shop there, at least their money is doing something good.

I wasn't saying don't shop there.  I was simply saying to investigate where you donate your clothes and household items for the place that gives the most back to the community.  

I stand corrected in that the new CEO ONLY makes upwards of 700K a year.  However, there are divisions of each state and they get a pretty hefty salary (IMO) by working for a charity.  

For example- in my state- Florida- over a million dollars in ceo salaries for three divisions.  (correct me if I'm wrong).  http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-hrabe/the-worst-corporation-in-_b_1876905.html

$440,197- CEO of Goodwill Industries-Suncoast, Inc.

$316,685- CEO of Goodwill Industries of South Florida, Inc.

$393,001- CEO of Goodwill Industries of Central Florida, Inc.

I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad for shopping there.  I shop there on occasion to get a good deal.  But I've started donating to other organizations that don't have such high salaries.  It adds up.  And I know it is not the store employees or store managers that are getting the high salaries.  

Edited by truthtalk2014

Has anyone else wondered why they are so interested in politics? Do they get paid to go rally for a candidate? Or are they in it for the famewhoring and the potential finding a husband for their daughters aspect of taking the stink bus out?

I think they see politics as their real mission. More than "encouraging" people or trying to convert people to their way of life. They are hoping that people will vote they way they do because they are such a "good" family.

Oddly, celebrity has very little impact on voters. However, they have an enormous impact on fundraising. Which is why I find it rather amusing that Josh figured that out and JB didn't. Not saying that I am personally happy about what Josh is doing, but fundraising requires you work under a "boss" and take direction under some one else's umbrella. JB can't or won't do that.

• Love 2

As far as the older girls updating their look -- I'm all for it. They're young and beautiful, and there's no reason why they can't maintain their values with a fresher and more up to date appearance. Above the knee skirts, fitted clothing, sleeveless shirts and blouses are all feminine and tasteful expressions of modesty done right. Two thumbs up for finding and defining their own form of modesty.

And if Mrs. Duggar is more comfortable in her frumpy prairie attire (purposefully branding or not) then more power to her!! I could really care less what kind of shoes and tacky skirts she chooses to wear if it makes her happy then I'm happy and she's not judging me for wearing what makes me happy: classic, modern, slightly trendy clothes that tastefully flatters my figure and adds to my comfort and happiness. We are the same age and I wouldn't dream of imposing my style on her or anyone else.

ETA: I like shopping at consignment stores. There are some really great deals to be had and a lot of money to be saved buying gently used/nearly new and in some cases brand new clothing and home goods. Although I don't care for thrift shops like Goodwill/Salvation Army -- at least he ones I've been to.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

ETA: I like shopping at consignment stores. There are some really great deals to be had and a lot of money to be saved buying gently used/nearly new and in some cases brand new clothing and home goods. Although I don't care for thrift shops like Goodwill/Salvation Army -- at least he ones I've been to.

Love thrift stores. Just this week I picked up 4 scrub pants and 7 scrub tops for $27.25. How can you go wrong with that? Goodwill can be hit or miss. I normally get picture frames there.  I find it best to go to the ones in "better" neighborhoods.

Above the knee skirts, fitted clothing, sleeveless shirts and blouses are all feminine and tasteful expressions of modesty done right.

While I think they absolutely should dress however they want, I don't think the way they dress now is "modest" in their sense of the word.  They dress supposedly to hide their bodies so men won't focus on them and be tempted with dirty thoughts or whatever the hell - tight, form-fitting clothing like the girls wear now doesn't distract from their figures, it draws attention to them.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all - shit, if I looked like Jana Duggar I'd dress in form-fitting things too! - but I think they've thrown their old "modesty" rules out the window with the tight, shorter skirts and tight tops. 

• Love 4

While I think they absolutely should dress however they want, I don't think the way they dress now is "modest" in their sense of the word. They dress supposedly to hide their bodies so men won't focus on them and be tempted with dirty thoughts or whatever the hell - tight, form-fitting clothing like the girls wear now doesn't distract from their figures, it draws attention to them.

And I don't think there's anything wrong with that at all - shit, if I looked like Jana Duggar I'd dress in form-fitting things too! - but I think they've thrown their old "modesty" rules out the window with the tight, shorter skirts and tight tops.

See, I think fitted clothing and above the knee and sleeveless tops are modest. So maybe it's just a difference of opinion of the definition of modesty. To me, there's a difference between tight and fitted.

Tight tops, cleavage showing tops, postage stamp cut offs and shorts, short mid and upper thigh hemlines on skirts and dresses, and low cut jeans that show underwear and more are what I consider immodest.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

As far as the older girls updating their look -- I'm all for it. They're young and beautiful, and there's no reason why they can't maintain their values with a fresher and more up to date appearance. Above the knee skirts, fitted clothing, sleeveless shirts and blouses are all feminine and tasteful expressions of modesty done right. Two thumbs up for finding and defining their own form of modesty.

And if Mrs. Duggar is more comfortable in her frumpy prairie attire (purposefully branding or not) then more power to her!! I could really care less what kind of shoes and tacky skirts she chooses to wear if it makes her happy then I'm happy and she's not judging me for wearing what makes me happy: classic, modern, slightly trendy clothes that tastefully flatters my figure and adds to my comfort and happiness. We are the same age and I wouldn't dream of imposing my style on her or anyone else.

Well I prayed to the Lord & he put it in my heart that it is OK for me to snark on Michelle's clothing. So I will.

Add me to the list of liking to shop at thrift stores, yard sales, etc. I love a good sale rack too.

• Love 8

See, I think fitted clothing and above the knee and sleeveless tops are modest. So maybe it's just a difference of opinion of the definition of modesty. To me, there's a difference between tight and fitted.

I'm going by what Michelle claimed the purpose of their "modest dress" was - essentially to hide their bodies.  

• Love 2

While I think they absolutely should dress however they want, I don't think the way they dress now is "modest" in their sense of the word.  They dress supposedly to hide their bodies so men won't focus on them and be tempted with dirty thoughts or whatever the hell - tight, form-fitting clothing like the girls wear now doesn't distract from their figures, it draws attention to them.

Good for them for deciding what they perceive to be modest. It shows that there is progress and that their parents don't have total control over them. I, for one,  applaud it.

Edited by Higgins
  • Love 4

It depends on where the stores are located. In DC, since there are a lot of bases, and people move around a lot, I've found some great bargains from France, Germany, Japan and Korea. Some with the store tags still on them. Stores near the wealthier sections are also great. Anna and the girls probably have a great time shopping in thrift stores in the area. My sister found a pair of Heidi Daus earrings for five dollars. Not that the Duggars would buy anything like those, but still great bargains. You just need to know where to go. Hopefully Anna does, but maybe she's buying new?

I lived very close to where Anna does now when I had my first small child and nearly completely outfitted him from Goodwill/Salvation Army stores, and at least half of the stuff WAS brand new. She also is near a new outlet mall where there would be great bargains on certain weekends for things you might want. Oddly enough, outside of housing and certain items (such as transportation) you can live pretty frugally in the DC area.

• Love 1

Good for them for deciding what they perceive to be modest. It shows that there is progress and that their parents don't have total control over them. I, for one,  applaud it.

Lately Jessa has been wearing skirts with modesty panels to add length and when they girls were leaving to go bridesmaid dress shopping I was pleasantly surprised to see Joy wearing a skirt with the lower part of her knees showing.

My sister found a pair of Heidi Daus earrings for five dollars. Not that the Duggars would buy anything like those, but still great bargains.

I wonder if they know anything or care about designer items.  I once found an authentic Hermes scarf for $3.00 and a brand new Gucci wallet in its original box for $10.00.  I didn't know if the wallet was real or not but for the price I bought it anyway and out of curiosity I had it authenticated and it turned out to be the real deal.  I was estatic!  I guess this thrift shop does not have someone to authenticate items before they sell them like some others do.

• Love 1

Lately Jessa has been wearing skirts with modesty panels to add length and when they girls were leaving to go bridesmaid dress shopping I was pleasantly surprised to see Joy wearing a skirt with the lower part of her knees showing.

You know what freaks me out about their 'modesty' standards?  This!  I would never in a thousand years have cared if I saw a portion of Jana's knees but now, because of all their talk about modesty, I do.  I don't watch all the episodes or anything but when I do, it bothers me how much I'm studying them to see if anything 'accidentally' shows. It makes me look at them more,  not less.

• Love 4

If you plan on being a Duggar girl for Halloween I saw some long skirts at my Sears Outlet store this morning along with ugly long sleeved polo shirts for $1!!!!! No buying used and saving the difference at that price. Happy Shopping!!

• Love 3

I think that some of what has happened happens in normal families -- it's just on a larger scale for the Duggars. Parents are able to focus more attention on the oldest kids and have more time with them simply because there are fewer. The youngest is born into a different family than the oldest and the parents have to split their attention and may be less strict with the younger kids.  

I am the eldest of four and my parents were super strict with me, but by the time my baby sister was born?? They were tired, less strict, and (IMHO) let her get away with everything. 

Granted, my family didn't make me raise my siblings. I am sure the J-Slaves were able to be more attentive and strict at one point. Now, they just make sure no one is dead/injured at the end of the day. Violins/reading/cleanliness be damned.

• Love 3

I was amazed how much Jim bob was able to save , he has a good head for business. I had a link on the Michele and Jim Bob thread of how much (or not) that they did financially in the earlier times. I'm glad it has it's own thread. He used 25O GRAND of his own money to use on a failed senate bid!! That's mind boggling to me! Right there tells me he let his family live no so great so he could horde the money for that senate seat. He lost! Think how they could have used that money! New washer that was needed, dentist for kids, etc.

• Love 2

There was one episode where they discussed what their priorities were for their children. One was music lessons on violin and piano, which meant hiring someone since they didn't play, and another was dental and orthodontics. Those are actually middle class priorities, if you are someone who studies class markers.

And yes, this notion that the Duggars were poor before the television show is incorrect. But they weren't wealthy the way they are now, and they really did keep their children living a lifestyle that was extremely lower class when you think about the ability to shower, their access to clothing (much of the girls clothing was even handmade) and diet.). Those are lower class markers.

• Love 4

Actually, I don't recall if they're still available, but when Jim Bob ran, all three times, for public office, he had to provide a disclosure of income form as part of his bid. It varies by state, but these forms generally include the applicant's income for previous years along with the amount of liquid and non-profits assets available to the candidate. This is because campaign donations, even non monetary (services, equipment, discounted help) is recorded as income to the campaign. You can't have secret donors. In order to know what was the candidate's own money from employment and what was campaign money, candidates must disclose both sources. Jim Bob's income was decent for Arkansas in the late 90s, early 2000s. But, by the Duggars own admission, putting that money toward his campaign was going to leave them in dire straits. That money was originally slated to complete the big house that TLC finished. That's partially why they had been working on the house for six years before TLC came along. You also have to remember that they were living in homes owned by churches and family to make ends meet. They were not technically impoverished, but if you have 14 kids squeezed into a three bedroom, 1200 sf home, you're not living large. TLC finished their house and provided an upgrade to their lifestyle.

Edited by wanderwoman
  • Love 2

If you are living with friends and family and are waiting to finish your house -- you don't spend $250K to run for office.   You can still run for office, but you save your own damn money.   If no one will give you money to run, that should tell you your chances of getting elected.   Not that JB would think of that.   He would not believe until the ballots were counted that everyone didn't think he was wonderful and wanted him to run their lives.   

• Love 9

You can still run for office, but you save your own damn money. If no one will give you money to run, that should tell you your chances of getting elected.

First rule of politics!

• Love 1

The Duggars priorities of music lessons and dental work can be explained. I agree they are middle class values. The music lessons have been provided by a widow and now her children that Jim Bob kind of took under his wing after the father died. When you think the Duggars have never paid for a sport , paying a widow a small amount each month to teach weekly group music lessons isn't breaking the bank. I would be shocked if in the pre-TLC Jim Bob spent more then $100 a month on music lessons. If you look at the Braces they came after the show. Josh and JD never got them and Jill and Jana got them after 18. Michelle just got braces(invisaline) recently. I think they wanted good straight teeth pre-TLC days but it wasn't till after TLC that they had the money.

Edited by silverspoons
  • Love 4

Good observations- thank you. It's always been odd to me that these two things seemed so out of keeping with everything else about them. I know Gothard only permits classical music and hymns, but I was always rather surprised that early on at least, the Duggar children WERE exposed to good music and that didn't come from their parents.

Edited by GEML

I know the common belief is that the older kids aren't being paid a per episode fee: but, I can't see a legal way for them not to pay them. The moment those kids turned 18 and/or became engaged/married (in the case of Anna, Derek, and Bin) they became legally entitled to any monies for use of their likeness for participation. I've yet to hear of any legal contract that would allow a reality parent to sign away their once minor child's rights away in perpetuity. Even the Roloff boys and Molly get their own piece of the pie. I firmly believe Josh/Anna collect a check for their segments (especially since you couldn't even pretend they were background participants when they moved 1000 miles away and the crew followed them). There's not a law specifically for filming in Arkansas, but there are applicable laws for personal rights and individual compensation. Filming is a job. Now, if the adult Duggars merrily sign it all to Jim Bob or a family trust, they're dumber than a bag of rocks, but whatever.

• Love 1

This is just a guess, but I'm betting it goes into the trust and there is some small payment made to adults not for Gothard reasons but for tax purposes. I really don't think that JB is outright stealing from his adult children from this point, but what he means in terms of payment is going to be something akin to dowries for houses, setting them up for a business or buying an airplane for John David - all things he can justify through the trust as other business expenses. But are people getting cold, hard cash? No.

Although I do think Josh and Anna have a separate contract, as that requires a separate filming crew in MD. But filming with the whole family? I'm not sure.

It sounds plausible to me. Do you think the Kellers paid a dowry to the Duggars for Anna?

Hey GEML, do these people tithe 10% to the Gothard ministry since they don't belong to a local church?Is it expected? Or do they tithe to a ministry of their choosing? Maybe dividing it up?

• Love 1

I am quite sure that JB convinced the adult children that God wanted them to sign their money over to him.   Without telling them they could seek independent legal counsel before signing the contracts.

And that lovely retirement fund JB is building, guess where the money for that is coming from?    Those kids will never see a cent of their money.

• Love 1

I can see Jim Bob using guilt with the kids over 18. We know the Duggars tell the kids about the scary bad world out there, debt, purple hair, kissing before marriage! Look at what Jim Bob gives his kids, free housing, use of cars and insurance, food, laundry by grandma, meals by Joy, trips, clothes, make up, hair products, they get everything they need plus the protection of daddy from the big bad world. In exchange he keeps any TLC money. Then he buys some lemonade and cookie mix for their wedding and gives then a starter house/job with strings attached of keeping up the brand.

Josh and Anna get a paycheck. I have seen a few TLC contracts and I can't imagine they do not get their own paycheck. Now how well Josh negotiated at age 20-21 with TLC is what is unknown. TLC is not known for paying well unless it has too. Endorsements often pay more then TLC does. I have noticed Anna using a few product placements and I would not be surprised if the last one(some sort of kids healthy drink) got them 10k or more plus most likely a lifetime supply of the product which could be worth a lot if they have a ton of kids.

Edited by silverspoons

That money was originally slated to complete the big house that TLC finished. That's partially why they had been working on the house for six years before TLC came along. You also have to remember that they were living in homes owned by churches and family to make ends meet. 

This isn't exactly true. It bugs me when Internet lore is spun as fact. 

• Love 1

I am quite sure that JB convinced the adult children that God wanted them to sign their money over to him.   Without telling them they could seek independent legal counsel before signing the contracts.

And that lovely retirement fund JB is building, guess where the money for that is coming from?    Those kids will never see a cent of their money.

Other than Smuggar, who does get his own check, and Jill, if the spinoff pans out, Boob has to be content to tomato-stake his adult children by giving them "gifts" that he actually still owns. The Stoneybrook house is in the Duggar Trust, the plane is property of Duggar Aviation, LLC). Jessa will likewise be given a property to live in, for as long as she continues to toe the line (I'm still thinking Smuggle's house, which is technically Grandma's). Jana and Josiah appear to be bought off far cheaper; Journeys to the Heart (Josiah is doing a Prison Ministry version right now), and of course, about nine months at ALERT this year. Smuggles got a car lot, JD a towing company. Joe and Jinger appear to be most compliant; it's not evident what Boob has shelled out to keep them in line for purposes of the Show.

Given that Boob is raking in about $2MM/yr. from the show alone, aside from the plane, buying off his kids with stuff he already had has been relatively cheap. Pity that aside from Smuggles, they'll never have anything of their own until the show goes off the air. Boob is so keeping everyone nearby to keep the show going for as long as possible. For that kind of money that you don't have to share (except with Josh segment episodes), wouldn't you?

I'm guessing, though, that the PEOPLE magazine might be Jill and Jessa's on their own, although no doubt managed by JB until marriage. Those photos wouldn't have been sold for nothing, and the amount of work the Duggars went to keeping them out of the public domain tells you they were worth something. I have friends who were writers for articles with publications such as those and the pay is pretty healthy. We are talking the very low five figures for the main story with pictures. That's a pretty hefty wedding budget and nest egg for each daughter to bring to a marriage. And then Jill was able to land the same for the pregnancy announcement.

Something tells me, though, that John David wouldn't rate the same treatment. Can't put my finger on just why..... ;)

• Love 1

It's very easy for a father to be generous and give gifts to his children that are already his and still remain HIS PROPERTY and ASSET. Jim Bob, I'm looking at you. He loses nothing in the process and looks like such a generous guy, doesn't he?

Even with the cash investments and bank balances that this family has at this time, their own money is passively earning them more money which turns into capital and so on... the miracle of compounded interest even at these paultry percentages. Their numbers are big ones so it earns them more interest. Top that off with salaries from TLC, rental incomes, product endorsements on the show, free services and goods for said business advertisement on the show, speaking engagement fees, (they don't preach for nothing, you know) and interest income, Jim Bob and Michelle have cash stuffed up their body cavities....Don't think the kids are remotely aware of what's really going on around them and how they are being used for this..yes, he is feeding, clothing them in his home, vehicles available to them to drive to WalMart and Aldi and consignment shops, but it pales in comparison to the cash these adult kids would be entitled to in their own rights..and trusts for the minor kids to help them when they grow up and move on and out.

• Love 1

If Anna and Boob Jr. as well as Jill and Derick get their own TLC check I wonder if Boob automatically gets 10% as their agent ala Pimp Momma Kris Jenner?  I can see them calling it an offering to the Church of the Holy Warehouse.

Oh, and I would assume the the Duggars do tithe somewhere. I'm not sure to whom or where, but this would not be tithes as in paying for ALERT or Journey to the Heart type stuff. Tithing in the fundamentalist community is very very specific, and it's on gross pay, not net.

Now this doesn't mean all of the money has to be donated in a tax deductible way. Many fundamentalists for instance give money directly to those in need to support a widow (see discussion above, perhaps?) or to help out a family in need and don't go through a church or non-profit to get the deduction. But something tells me JB likes every tax write-off he can get (and there is nothing wrong with that - I like deductions too) and likely donates his tithes through organizations. But he tithes. He's too well liked within his community to not be doing so. Believe me, people would know if he didn't.

I'm curious to know if they crowd-fund their healthcare. If so, the people sending in money would be a lot poorer than the cheap-o Duggars, who have a long-running TV show and several business ventures. The Duggars have the money to self-insure if they really don't want to buy insurance like the rest of us. I guess I'm just grateful they don't show up at the emergency room for free care like their friends the Bateses.

Does anyone know how they paid for Miracles birth?  I can't even imagine the costs involved in that.  Or, did the taxpayers end up funding the miracle birth and 6 month stay in nicu?

• Love 1

I honestly don't know. At this point the Duggar Trust would be able to function as any small business, and health care premiums would be a nice tax write off for them. They would have as many adults on the payroll as minors, so they may well have set that up years ago.

It's clear that they have real and substantial income, so getting a medical bill handled through Medicaid or discharged (like the Bates) would not be easy. On the other hand, micro-preemies are often special cases, so I don't know.

Edited by GEML

Josie would have qualified for Medicaid for her first hospital stay.  She was considered to be in an institution so parental income and resources weren't considered.  After her discharge, though things changed.

Edited by Absolom

Josie would have qualified for Medicaid for her first hospital stay.  She was considered to be in an institution so parental income and resources weren't considered.  After her discharge, though things changed.

So basically you are saying the taxpayers picked up the tab for a woman that was too old to be having more babies?  Lovely.  

Any doctors or nurses out there that know how much that stay would cost approximately?

• Love 2