Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Well he did take money from the girls book

Really? Wow.

That pie couldn't have been worth a tremendous amount in the first place, really, given what books earn these days. And they had to pay something to the two ghostwriters -- Charlie Richards and David Waller. I can see them paying Waller only a few thousand or so, since he may have come on board as kind of an ATI publicity agent to make sure that it was adequately infused with correct Gothardisms, in which case he might have considered the ATI boost from the book part of his compensation. But Richards actually writes for a living (as a media writer of the children's series Life at the Pond, among other things) and most likely did virtually all of the actual writing in the book, so I'd think he would want at least a minimal professional-looking rate -- $10,000, maybe? -- even though he may have participated because he really believed in the Duggar brand and wanted to help promote it.

Then if JimBob got a cut as well? And then the remainder had to be split four ways, with self-employment taxes (I guess? unless JimBob has a really really crafty tax lawyer?) taken out? I wonder whether they'd think it was worth it to even do another multi-author book, given the small amount each probably received from that one.

I suppose we'll find out soon enough. If they're going to do another book, I'd expect Jill and Jessa to launch one in another year or so (fewer authors to split the cash among), once they've got a couple of years of marriage and maybe a kid and a half apiece to use as subject matter.

And wouldn't any $ Jill and Jessa contracted with - for anything, appearances, spinoffs, etc - go to Derrick and Ben?

After all, they are now the 'masters' of their wives.

• Love 1

And wouldn't any $ Jill and Jessa contracted with - for anything, appearances, spinoffs, etc - go to Derrick and Ben?

Technically, but I have no doubts that Jill and Jessa are the HBIC'S of their households. IMO, Derick and Ben are followers, not leaders.

• Love 1

I think it depends if TLC offered Derrick and Ben their own contracts before they were married into the family. If Derrick and Ben are being paid through the Duggar LLC from contracts that were signed during courtship, then there's absolutely no way JB lets them control independent appearances.

It would be more likely that the adult children are considered signators of the LLC and can have all paychecks funneled into the LLC outside of the TLC contract.

Considering we speculate that Josh's family had a seperate contract that he got into tax trouble over, I bet JB holds that over the other kids heads to keep them from leaving.

How do we know he took the money for the girls' book? Has that come up somewhere?

I'm curious as well. As far as I know, we haven't been privy to ANY monetary arrangements made from the girls' book. I would HOPE that they were able to split it equally, four ways. But these are the Duggars, and that always gives me pause, because the logical way never seems to be THEIR way. 

• Love 5

How do we know he took the money for the girls' book? Has that come up somewhere?

No way is Jim Bob going to give his girls their own money. I head they have a Duggar family account where the kids have to ask for money and sign it out. Can someone look for the link? I believe it was posted here

The reason I think the book money may actually belong to the girls is that is their dowery to pay for the wedding and honeymoon and perhaps getting their first home set up.

My reasons for homeschooling were many and certainly changed throughout the years.  Additionally, every child is different.  I was able to address each one of my children's needs differently to the best of my ability.  There are some subjects that I was able to teach exceptionally well, and others that I was not.  I was a terrible science teacher, for example.  I never cared for the subject much (especially biology) and I am sure that came through to my children no matter how much I tried to tell them and myself that "Science is Fun".  But, my children who attended public school had some bad teachers too and, believe it or not, they all survived.  

As long as they do not encounter abuse or neglect, children are pretty remarkable in the sense that they can survive a lot of our mistakes and missteps without missing a beat.  

• Love 3

^^^^This. My husband and I both are the products of "failing" school districts. But even a mediocre school district can produce excellent students when those students are determined to learn. Likewise, even a parent who isn't as educated as some teachers can become a very effective teacher at home when that parent puts his/her whole attention to that task. Some children need the smaller classroom of private school. My own child attended the largest or second largest public school in VA, and that was right for him. It's the one-size-fits-all ideological approach that hurts any child. Not the approach themselves.

Which is why I think the older children were better educated than the younger ones. Michelle really did put real effort into it, even though her curriculum was terrible. Now they may have better curriculum, and certainly better technology, but no one is really teaching them. And it shows.

• Love 1

hm, I really enjoy this forum and feel like I need it as I detox from being a 19kac viewer right about now, but this thread title makes me feel uncomfortable. It feels like a swipe based on social class and I don't like it. ok, I said my piece. 

Can you explain what classist remark you think this makes?

In the US, free public education is offered to all children. So those homeschooled would not be a lower class than those in public institutions due to lack of ability to pay for out of home schooling.  Additionally, while a stay-at-home parent is required for homeschool (making it seem that it would need to be an upper class thing), many ATI families who live at the poverty level still homeschool, meaning it can't be placed into that upper class either.  So I don't understand mocking homeschooling as related specifically to any class.

I see it as a swipe at the lack of education ("learning real good") of the Duggar family specifically (not that all homeschool is "homefooling"- just theirs), but I don't see a connection to social class at all.

• Love 5

I don't expend any energy actually getting bothered by things on the Internet, but I think it's not unfair to say that phrases like "homefooling" are kind of insulting to the millions of families who home school using actual curriculum and teach their children as well as the local public school might. Though that isn't really about social class. It's not something that really bugs me (speaking as someone who does home school while simultaneously wearing pants).

Also re: Connections Academy & K12, technically kids who use those programs are considered public school students, doing distance learning at home more or less - at least in Michigan. There's nothing wrong with them, just to be clear. It's a way to do school at home, but it's not home school in the traditional sense of the word.

And, there are many states (Michigan included) where a parent-issued diploma is given the same weight as a PS diploma as far as college admission. Most HSed students I know also take the SAT or ACT depending on region, and their parents create a transcript like I got at my PS that they use for college admission. I've never known any HSed grad who had a problem getting into college with that amount of paperwork. I don't think I know any HSed student who took the GED, the only people coming to mind are people who dropped out of high school for whatever reason.

Bringing this around to the Duggars, I have often wondered what sort of education those kids REALLY got, because the show did a pretty terrible job of showing us. Michelle's bankruptcy "lesson" trotted around here as evidence of the lack of education, is really only a 5 second blip of what (hopefully) was many, many more hours that (hopefully) included things that were actually useful as far as education is concerned.

• Love 1

I think -- and I have to be careful because I am fairly new here -- that the criticism of their homeschool curriculum is based in the fact that they use the ATI curriculum endorsed by Bill Gothard and his IBLP group.  There have been links on here that illustrate the kind of lessons the children receive from these materials and they can also be found elsewhere online, I believe.  These materials contain blatantly false information at times and are geared more towards indoctrinating the children than in creating independent and knowledgable adults.  

The bankruptcy lesson is a classic, however.  Right up there with "per pen dic u lar".  I do appreciate Michelle's effort there in trying to squeeze in at least a little math education -- truly one of those teachable moments that look kind of silly in hindsight, but I am sure I had quite a few of those when I was homeschooling my children.  

I think that the poster, potato511, may have been referring to the "Learning Real Good" part of the title.  Pointing out poor grammar is a means that many people use to illustrate that someone is uneducated, stupid, and perhaps poor.  That is just my two cents.  

• Love 1

Folks, 'homefooling' is not meant to denigrate homeschooling in general - it's meant to make fun of the Duggar's homeschooling in particular, which many posters over the years have felt is woefully inadequate. Please try and remember that the snark titles here are directed at the show in particular, not against the world at large.

• Love 16

I've know quite a few students who have GEDs instead of HS diplomas that were homeschooled. They came from excellent programs and the HED allowed them to graduate early. At least one boy I know who did this is now finishing his PhD at a highly regarded state university.

Again, there is no right or wrong way to educate your child. It's opting out of the responsibility to educate your child and/or complaining that other options are failures for other students because of ideology that I find exasperating.

Bringing this around to the Duggars, I have often wondered what sort of education those kids REALLY got, because the show did a pretty terrible job of showing us. Michelle's bankruptcy "lesson" trotted around here as evidence of the lack of education, is really only a 5 second blip of what (hopefully) was many, many more hours that (hopefully) included things that were actually useful as far as education is concerned.

There have been some references to online or computer based programs on the show.  I'm only an occasional watcher so I can't site a season or episode number but I think they may used Switched On Schoolhouse. (SOS)  It is religious based but it is a real curriculum.  The program includes video lessons from a teacher then testing on the computer.  In a recent episode I saw that Anna was using  MathUSee.  I also hope that the kids are getting much more of an education than what we see.

I also hope that the kids are getting much more of an education than what we see.

Based on their ability to speak in interviews and their writing at autograph events, I have very little hope that they are.

Quite honestly, my view of homeschooling used to always be high achievers. The Duggars made me realized I had some bias there.  Idiots can be produced by the homeschooling system just as well as public school produces them.

• Love 3

I think the older children are decently educated - when you consider that they have the equivalent of a high school education. I don't think any of them were struggling to do multiplication flash cards late, for instance. And the older children all did receive real musical training - some are better than others, and I hope I never have to hear the violins again, but I'm skeptical that the younger ones will play violin, piano or harp as well. Practice would cut into taping sessions for one thing.

This is another reason why I don't watch the show very often.  Home Education is one of the interesting topics that could have been covered in depth but I don't think it ever has been.

*Exactly what curricula do they use & why.

*Which kids have special needs and how they deal with it.  With a family that size its highly likely that some of those kids have learning issues.   This show is a chance to shed some light on it. And show how they "do things a bit differently."  

*How the kids go about getting their GED. Whether the kids have pursued any online college.

We've seen only glimpses into how they home school and it has left the audience with the impression that they don't do much and that the kids are way behind. It is too bad the show missed the opportunity to give us real insight into this area.  I think it would have potentially been interesting.

Of course its also entirely possible that the impression that the kids are behind is dead on because there isn't much more than what we have seen. 

• Love 4

Given that I think the crew generally tries to show them in a positive light, I think what we see in this area is what we get. But even the crew has to show reality at some point, and children who can't or won't read, don't know basic math, and can't speak clearly are children who need more support than they are getting. Doesn't have to be fancy help- just more, structured and time intensive one on one help.

• Love 4

Based on their ability to speak in interviews and their writing at autograph events, I have very little hope that they are.

Quite honestly, my view of homeschooling used to always be high achievers. The Duggars made me realized I had some bias there.  Idiots can be produced by the homeschooling system just as well as public school produces them.

Agree 100%. I worked in university admissions for 15 years and until I started watching the Duggars, my experience with homeschooled students had been entirely positive. Most of those I knew were homeschooled because their parents wanted a more enriched experience for them than they felt "traditional" schools could offer, and a more flexible schedule as well. The kids themselves were usually above-level in every subject, had taken AP classes, had done research in topics of interest, had traveled with their parents and written papers, etc etc. Very impressive youngsters - there was never any question about admitting them. It was the Duggars who made me remember that, as with everything else, there's the left side of the Bell Curve as well as the right - the poor and the excellent. And that not everyone who homeschools is qualified to do so.

• Love 4

Agree 100%. I worked in university admissions for 15 years and until I started watching the Duggars, my experience with homeschooled students had been entirely positive. Most of those I knew were homeschooled because their parents wanted a more enriched experience for them than they felt "traditional" schools could offer, and a more flexible schedule as well. The kids themselves were usually above-level in every subject, had taken AP classes, had done research in topics of interest, had traveled with their parents and written papers, etc etc. Very impressive youngsters - there was never any question about admitting them. It was the Duggars who made me remember that, as with everything else, there's the left side of the Bell Curve as well as the right - the poor and the excellent. And that not everyone who homeschools is qualified to do so.

Its always great to hear people who have had positive experiences with home educated students.  Thank you for sharing those! There is another place on that Bell curve.  Average students.  There are children who have learning struggles. In most cases, either a good home based education or a good public education will get them to the same spot, average.  They will be less articulate, and less able to think on their feet.  They might or might not seek admission to college.  They are more likely to choose community college if they do. They might go into a trade, or end up working retail. Either way, they will be likely/able to hold down jobs and be productive members of society.

I think that some of the Duggar children probably have learning struggles (disabilities, even). I say this based both on the laws of probability and based on what we have seen.  But its possible that the boy who was working on flash cards that we all deem way below grade level, has issues that cause him to be below level and that this is part of the family working with him where he is and trying to get him more help. It's also possible that the issues stem solely from an improper education and that he would have been fine if he had different educators all along.  We just don't know.

This is sort of a mixed post.  While I don't ever want to come across as assuming the best about the Duggars- I don't like to deny the possibility that there is more than what we see.  They don't film every day.  We don't know what happens when they are not filming.  We don't even know what happens in the film that doesn't make the show.

The other thing is that there are some generalizations that people make based on what they see about the Duggars, so when I say something like here's what might be happening behind the scenes I mean it more like, in the real world I've seen situations where it might look like home education didn't work, but really there was more going on than the rest of the world saw.

(On a personal note- I say this as a parent who has 3 children who have all been home educated for at least part of their lives.  Our middle child is severely dyslexic and if home education was judged by his very slow progress we would be treated harshly. Our oldest is currently in college and our youngest is at least a full grade above level right now.) 

• Love 3

On the flip side, my older child had many issues that almost certainly could not have been addressed by homeschooling. (And not because of lack of ability in his parents' education - my husband could have handled the math up to and including calculus, we could have afforded to build a laboratory in our home and between us we speak four languages, etc.)

But socialization and development were major issues. He went from being a failing student to an honor student who took IB courses for college credit, and student with severe speech delay to one who had a lead role in a school play, a student who couldn't write to a theatre critic, and one who ultimately was admitted to a top liberal arts college on the East Coast.

I could not have given him that at home.

If the Duggars have a child with special needs, they may not see his/her full potential because they are ideologically blind to seeking out all possibilities to looking for it.

• Love 2

I'm working with the author of a series of highly regarded homeschooling math books, and her entire premise is that every child is different and therefore the learning experience must be tailored to each one. She also makes it sound as if that's easier for the teacher than taking the one-size-fits-all approach. Unfortunately, I don't see the Duggars putting a lot of effort into individualized learning that matches each child's strengths, weaknesses, and interests. In fact, I don't get the impression that the parents even know the kids very well as people. They're just "blessings."

• Love 5
I'm working with the author of a series of highly regarded homeschooling math books, and her entire premise is that every child is different and therefore the learning experience must be tailored to each one. She also makes it sound as if that's easier for the teacher than taking the one-size-fits-all approach. Unfortunately, I don't see the Duggars putting a lot of effort into individualized learning that matches each child's strengths, weaknesses, and interests. In fact, I don't get the impression that the parents even know the kids very well as people. They're just "blessings."

THIS right here is my major issue with how the Duggars handle (or don't) homeschooling. I am a homeschooler, and the above is the main reason we chose this way. I want my kids to be able to learn at their own pace and in their own way. I never see the Duggars doing that. Ever. Every kid learns from the exact same curriculum, in the exact same way. We hear little individualization from these kids. When the crew asks them what they want to be when they grow up, it's always "midwife" for the girls and "missionary" from the boys, or some slight variation. Books - it's always that stupid Prince Charming book and one other I can't remember the name of. 

Damn, even reading that sad, 30 page police report that came out with the molesation scandal, every kid interviewed listed "broom ball" as their favorite activity. And I think they all said they hated math the most and liked spelling the best? 

There are 19 fucking kids in that house! Where is the diversity?? It's like a pack of fucking robots and it makes me sick. 

Sorry, I get a bit heated about this, because I hate seeing homeschooling represented this way. Obviously there are goods and bads to every single thing under the sun, but the Duggars do their children such a massive disservice in every aspect of their lives, especially education. It just makes me sick. Remember the one kid who was interested in gardening and plants? What happened with that? These parents do not foster the children's dreams. They just breed them to make themselves look good and leave the older ones to raise them. 

Now that the older girls are moving out, I wonder if the education of the youngest set is being held together at all?

• Love 8
(edited)

As a child I wanted to be homeschooled because the school environment was not for me, although as a younger child, I didn't realize that meant a parent would have to stay home from work and teach me, I just figured they would send all my work home, I'd do it, and send it back and get to spend the rest of my time reading and being left alone, which was what I really wanted - no forced interactions, being able to have music playing while I worked because I concentrate better if I have music distracting the restless part of my brain.

I never got that, and ended up quitting school at 15 after doing just a little bit of year 11. I got a job, and educated myself as best I could, reading up on everything that interested me, and luckily was not only really into computers, but good at them which eventually lead to a well paying job in IT, where with the constant changes and upgrades, it's just as easy to learn as you go, teaching yourself, as it is to learn in a classroom.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 1

What annoys me is that the Duggar's saw homeschooling as basically the easy way out.  No morning school runs, no having to organise homework or after school activities or parent teacher conferences.  The whole "we didn't want them influenced by the outside" is bull.  If they were that confident in their beliefs, they would trust that their faith would prevail over any satanist Jews/Muslims/Buddhists/atheists.  It was much easier to stick them all at the table and have them recite times-tables or go through bankruptcy law (where you don't go to a bank!).   

• Love 6

Most (I can only off hand think of two exceptions) homeschooling parents I know work extremely hard on their child's education. (Or children's). They are like that teacher you remember who is always there when you get to school and never seems to leave and you're shocked when you see them at the grocery store - wait you DO have a life on the outside? ;)

(edited)

What annoys me is that the Duggar's saw homeschooling as basically the easy way out.  No morning school runs, no having to organise homework or after school activities or parent teacher conferences.  The whole "we didn't want them influenced by the outside" is bull.  If they were that confident in their beliefs, they would trust that their faith would prevail over any satanist Jews/Muslims/Buddhists/atheists.  It was much easier to stick them all at the table and have them recite times-tables or go through bankruptcy law (where you don't go to a bank!).   

Every reason for every decision by the Duggars is now suspect to me -- the girls sleep in jeans, boys and girls never play together, SOFDRT is a circle of macbooks with self-grading math and spelling games, no sheets on the beds.  church door is by Jim Bob's invitation only. .It all seems a facade,

Edited by mbutterfly
  • Love 3

In regards to the money they make:

From what I have read it seems to be a flat fee? speculations from $25,000 per episode to $45,000 per episode and 20 episodes per "season".  So after 10 years of doing their show it is anywhere from $5 million to $9 million over the the course  of those years.  If the Duggers (or their financial person) were fiscally responsible it should have been invested/saved/used for property maybe?  How is it divided?  Do they have accounts for each child that they add to each year so that when their child reaches a certain age or gets married he/she can access it?  And what about all the speaking engagements that they had? Plus their books!  That sounds like a  boatload of money to someone with lowly state employee!  (We did this with some nieces to help with college).

Generally the early seasons pay less than $25,000.  Think more $3 to $5K per episode in the beginning.  Don't forget taxes, legal fees, and possibly a PR or management company also.  

• Love 1

Generally the early seasons pay less than $25,000. Think more $3 to $5K per episode in the beginning. Don't forget taxes, legal fees, and possibly a PR or management company also.

Damn. All that hard work.

Self employed taxes are killer. By the time you pay those, any agent/manager fees, taxes on any comped things such as travel or "paid in kind" those sums look considerably smaller in real life than you would think.

Self employed taxes are killer. By the time you pay those, any agent/manager fees, taxes on any comped things such as travel or "paid in kind" those sums look considerably smaller in real life than you would think.

Very true. TLC probably comps quite a bit, but likely 1099s them so they pay taxes on the full retail value of those freebies. Things like plane tickets might be fuzzy since they are "working" by taking the trips, but things like Apple products gifted by the company, then thanked in the credits, definitely should be included as income to pay taxes on.

I think they will survive just fine without the show income. It seems like Jim Bob is heavily invested in real estate, and of course all without mortgages. Doesn't he own a cell phone tower that he leases to Verizon?

I've thought they probably do a good amount of house flipping behind the scenes with all those boys. Idle hands and all that...

• Love 2

Imo JB and michelle made it ok before tlc and I believe they will be fine without tlc now. There is no way they could have spent every cent tlc has given them. I also don't think Jim bob is a stupid as he looks, If I was a betting woman I would bet that he has put a chunk of money into stocks and bonds and maybe even a few cds that will bring in double, triple or higher the amount he invested. Yeah so they don't all get brand new cars, maybe they all don't get a nice house like jill and derrick but either way they will be ok. They have lived below their means for about 14+ years before tlc entered their life, they know how to be frugal with their cash. It won't hurt them to go back to that life style. Derrick and Ben will have to get real jobs and learn how to fend for their families. And maybe just maybe the older kids will know what it's like to be middle to lower class and will choose not to have a million kids or they may decide that they can be happy with that life and fill their quiver. Either way they get to decide and they have to live with that choice.

I also believe that they all knew their show wouldn't last forever and they would need money eventually I think they took steps to prepare for this.

• Love 1

Skeptical about the stocks/bonds and CDs, because I think JB is a risk averse person (one of the reasons he's a Fundy) and CDs have a lower rate in return the past 15 years or so than inflation. But he's made real money outside the show.

But it IS hard to go back to a more frugal lifestyle. And the middle children in particular likely won't enjoy it.

• Love 3

. Derrick and Ben will have to get real jobs and learn how to fend for their families.

Derrick has a "real job".

As for Ben... "Is posting hate and condemnation messages a job?" He asks.

• Love 1

Skeptical about the stocks/bonds and CDs, because I think JB is a risk averse person (one of the reasons he's a Fundy) and CDs have a lower rate in return the past 15 years or so than inflation. But he's made real money outside the show.

But it IS hard to go back to a more frugal lifestyle. And the middle children in particular likely won't enjoy it.

I agree, I doubt Jim Bob has invested in stocks and bonds.  That would require listening to an investment advisor.  I think it is more likely he invested in gold.  Isn't that always being advertised on Fox?  It seems to be a favorite of those who don't trust government.  And I bet he has spent a lot of money too.  In that flamingo show he couldn't find a paint sprayer even though they owned three of them.  I bet he has junk squirreled away all over the place.

• Love 4

In that flamingo show he couldn't find a paint sprayer even though they owned three of them.  I bet he has junk squirreled away all over the place.

Memo to Jim Bob: The "hoarder shows" don't pay their subjects.

• Love 10

The Duggars are now at the stage where they have children leaving the house rather than coming into the house.  So the financial situation is a whole lot less concerning than it would be if they were at 14 kids and still having lots more.  Three children are already out of the house and fully capable of supporting themselves, and likely by the end of the year another child will get married and be gone.  Several of the adult children still in the house seem to have some sort of employment already (outside of tv). So really, even if the Duggars spent every cent they have earned from the show, books, and speaking engagements, and assuming they still have the side businesses (car towing/lot, houses, land rentals) they would still be financially better off than they were when the public first met them and would continue to get better off with each child that leaves the roost.  Though 1000+ guest weddings will set them back if the parents are financing each one (which I find unlikely).  

Memo to Jim Bob: The "hoarder shows" don't pay their subjects.

I commented once before that they do seem like hoarders. Warehouses full of junk, warehouse full of machinery, tools. Like the poster above said, they couldn't even find one paint sprayer.

I have no idea beyond what I have observed with obvious spending on a lot of stuff though.   

How does anyone state for fact that he has made money outside the show ?     Isn't it all speculation?

(edited)

How does anyone state for fact that he has made money outside the show ?     Isn't it all speculation?

We've seen their businesses on the show.  They've talked about them.  They can be easily searched to confirm.  Plus, it's absolute fact that they have written books and that they take speaking engagements, both unrelated to the show.  

Edited by bluebonnet
  • Love 2

Just Google Jim bob it will list his rental places as well.

We have only 2 rentals so far and I can say that the rent on those pay the mortgage for those places and my home with money left over. Pretty good investment

• Love 1

Just Google Jim bob it will list his rental places as well.

We have only 2 rentals so far and I can say that the rent on those pay the mortgage for those places and my home with money left over. Pretty good investment

We've seen their businesses on the show.  They've talked about them.  They can be easily searched to confirm.  Plus, it's absolute fact that they have written books and that they take speaking engagements, both unrelated to the show.  

With all their travel, I guess I don't see JB working regularly.  Sure, they have these businesses like the car lot which didn't seem to be prosperous.    I guess I don't see him supporting his family without the TLC money.

Buying and using that plane is an enormous amount of money used and imo wasted.    I can't imagine the gas bill for all their vehicles. 

I also don't see him as a worker either.  They don't get up early and live on Duggar time.   But he does a lot of free or cheap labor.

I agree in the early days they barely made ends meet. IIRC, Friends would drop off food and clothing on their porch, made their own laundry detergent, etc. I think without TLC income and possibly a reduced speaking engagement schedule, they will be making some serious economic adjustments.

• Love 2

Three children are already out of the house and fully capable of supporting themselves, and likely by the end of the year another child will get married and be gone.

Jessa, and now likely Josh, don't support themselves. Jill theoretically could, but still gets the MacMansion handout from daddy, so far NO Duggar kid has full supported themselves. I honestly have less hope that Josiah and Marge could, either.

• Love 2

I commented once before that they do seem like hoarders. Warehouses full of junk, warehouse full of machinery, tools. Like the poster above said, they couldn't even find one paint sprayer.

I have no idea beyond what I have observed with obvious spending on a lot of stuff though.   

I disagree that Benessa can fend for themselves. At present, they are wholly reliant on TLC (and its perks like People) and JB himself for their income. Will JB be able to support all these sons (and potentially, sons in law) once the TLC gravy train vanishes? He won't have as much capital to purchase and renovate homes for flipping, which I do think is their primary non-show business. Let's face it, JB has ten sons. He puts them to work pretty much full time when they're 13, so only Justin and Jackson are not working for him, although they certainly apprentice. So, eight sons, five working full-time for the Duggar machine, in addition to Ben. Now Josh needs a job. I think we can safely predict what's going to happen there. In a few years, JB will need to pay the remaining four sons salaries. Is house flipping that good in NWA? 

• Love 4

Ben and Jessa are perfectly capable of supporting themselves.  They just probably don't want to.  There are lots of jobs for a fit fellow like Ben, and Jessa could always sell make-up at the mall.  Josiah and Marjorie are too young to be supporting themselves.  I hope they rethink their courtship and Marjorie goes off to a real college.

• Love 4