Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think she thinks her "Jill" headband is cute. I'm assuming if she's going to go to the trouble to apply makeup and curl her hair that this headband is the look she wanted to have photographed for all of eternity. It would have been cuter had it not been personalized with her name.

ETA that I must have been typing when Lukeysboat posted, but my sentiments exactly! It looks like something a grade schooler would wear.

Edited by zenme
  • Love 1
(edited)

The bridesmaids dresses were horrible, Jill's and Jessa's. Jessa's looked cheap, and Jill's had two extra ruffles at the bottom. I liked Jill's before the ruffles, but not for a bridesmaid dress.

I liked Jill's bridesmaids' dresses before they made Jana do all those awful alterations. Jessa's bridesmaids' dresses would have been fine at a Spring or Summer wedding, although they certainly did suffer by being made with such poor foreign material. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

Here's a question. Say one of the husbands wanted to see his wife in a pair of jeans -- if God "laid it on his heart" or something. :) Would she buy a pair and just wear them around the house? Or is it always "wrong," in their view, for a woman to wear pants, even if the "head of the household" requests it?

• Love 1

Here's a question. Say one of the husbands wanted to see his wife in a pair of jeans -- if God "laid it on his heart" or something. :) Would she buy a pair and just wear them around the house? Or is it always "wrong," in their view, for a woman to wear pants, even if the "head of the household" requests it?

I think the reaction would depend on the J'slave. I think if Binjermin told Jessa that she would look hot in jeans, she would be out shopping in a hot minute. For Jilly Muffin, I think there would be a lot more praying, scripture quoting and consulting Daddy. And then guilt, if she actually ever did wear them. But wearing them outside is a whole other matter for any Duggar daughter, daughter in law or granddaughter. There would be a lot of attention if all of a sudden the girls started wearing skinny jeans or leggings, and then they would have to deal with Boob.

• Love 2

Regarding the wearing of pants:  I remember back in the day, my mom wore pants for the first time - she only wore them around the house and my dad was not happy  Keep in mind that my dad was a bit old school from Mexico as was my mom.  She was just tired of being careful of doing things around the house that had her dress flapping and as she said to my dad, (but in Spanish) "I think I'm old enough to choose my own clothes."   After a while she wore them "just to the store" "just to a neighbor's house".  My dad got used to them :)  My mom a traditional Hispanic woman from MEXICO decided what she wanted to wear despite knowing that my father and my grandmother would not approve.  Can't these grown married women decide for themselves?   

Side note - wearing pants under a dress?   When I was a kid we (girls) would wear shorts under our dresses in elementary school so we could get on the climbing bars and monkey bars at school.  But never pants!  PLUS ... Why can't their clothes coordinate? (a blouse that actually matches or coordinates with a skirt)  It drives me a bit crazy to see such mismatched clothes - Reminds me when my girls would pick out their own clothes to wear. But they were three and four years old.

• Love 8

I also did the pants under a skirt. There is room for personal conviction. A husband who insisted a wife wear jeans would be considered a pretty selfish husband in this world. A wife who wore jeans against her husband's wishes, however, would be considered a pretty selfish wife. That said, a husband who didn't let his wife wear pants wouldn't be looked upon kindly either.

I went to an all-girls Catholic high school and we would wear sweat pants/pajama bottoms under our skirts before and after school during the winter.  It was because we were cold and it was easy to just quickly take them off before class.  

Seems the older girls only wear pants under the skirts when they are doing something physical and don't want to Nike those around them. It's most important that they're comfortable, though I agree it does look awkward.

The younger girls are so used to wearing leggings under their dresses that I could see them wearing pants without dresses/skirts over them eventually. 

• Love 2

So they all actually do share clothes. I was hoping that this was only snark from around the boards but here it is, straight from the horse's mouth. That's just... sad. I have no issue with babies or small children sharing clothes but once you hit your teens clothes usually become quite important as a way to express yourself and explore your personality and identity. I just hate how Boob and MEchelle try to eradicate any kind of individuality in their kids. Would it really have been so hard to build individual closets along the walls of that cavern of a store room? Or, while building the house, put in closets along the walls of the children's dorms? Ugh, these people

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 4

Oh, Mechelle. You don't have your hands in "soapy dishwater," and you haven't wiped a dirty little face (paraphrase) since Jinger was a baby, and you had your breakdown. Stop trying to rewrite history.

You can OWN the "bling," Mechelle. And heels, too! No one said they had to be 4 inches; 2 inches would be enough to get out of the frumpy rut. 

• Love 5

I've been saying for a couple of years that Jessa should have a youtube channel and/or blog for young, conservative Fundie fashion.   She's got a good sense of color & style, plus she's attractive enough without being TOO attractive. 

Though the one outfit I remember best of Jill's was one of her engagement shots.  A denim shirt, cowboy boots and a hip-slung belt.  Probably the cutest outfit I've ever seen any of them wear. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4

I've been saying for a couple of years that Jessa should have a youtube channel and/or blog for young, conservative Fundie fashion.   She's got a good sense of color & style, plus she's attractive enough without being TOO attractive. 

Though the one outfit I remember best of Jill's was one of her engagement shots.  A denim skirt, cowboy boots and a hip-slung belt.  Probably the cutest outfit I've ever seen any of them wear. 

Absolutely. Jessa is vain about her looks (as opposed to Jill being vain/having pride about being Holier than Thou), but Jessa usually looks put together. She had on an out fit I think when they were shopping in Paris, and I would've thought she was a chic 15 year old if I hadn't known it was Jessa. It was just some boots, a knee skimming skirt, tights and a jacket (couldn't tell what the shirt looked like). If she'd cut her hair to bra strap length, I'd think she was a chic twenty-something. The little girl hair is aging. The navy chevron maxi dresses they've all sported are cute, too, and don't look out of place or Flamboyantly Modest.

She'd also have a much broader 'ministry base' AKA audience, if she did the modest chic styling thing, instead of the Susie Homemaker Helpmeet route. She is clearly more suited for fashion and style, without drawing attention due to weird layers and goofy sewed on trimmings and panels, or trying to modernize dowdy ankle length denim skirts with high top tennis shoes. She does not seem to truly have the heart for cooking, staring at her husband and nodding, etc.Let Jill be the next Michelle, popping out babies every year, or Jinger do the cooking from scratch for an army deals, and let Jessa show us how to Curl Our Hair for the Baby Jesus.

i actually think Joy looks really cute most of the time, too, but they need to factor in that she's curvier and endowed more than her three older sisters, and they can go up a size to accomodate her endowments without looking frumpy or smothered. She seems to like being low key so far, but she's becoming a beauty.

As for Jill and the personalized headband, I don't LIKE it, but I GET it. She's had to share all of her clothing her whole life, so she finally has something personalized for her own, and she's loving it. It's like being the kid *raise your hand if you were this kid* who had an unusually spelled name, and could never just walk into the school bookstore or souvenir shop and find a pencil or keychain with your name on it. As soon as you find a place that can customize, and let you have YOUR name on a pencil or a keychain, you keep that pencil and keychain until they disintegrate. 

• Love 6

Hey, my name is Leigh.  I NEVER could find that personalized plastic name plate for my bike when the family went to Disneyworld!  *LOL*

I honestly think Jessa would have a huge following on the net if she went the Fabulous Fundie Fashion route. 

• Love 4

Jessa looked tres chic in the taxi on their way to dinner in Paris. The loose side chignon sealed her role is most stylish Duggar. You got one sister who won't keep shoes on (Jill) and one sister who takes at least 4 pairs of boots to Europe. So much difference between the sisters in term of fashion which is interesting considering their restrictive upbringing. Jessa would do great with a fashion blog but her first post needs to be about the horrors of Jinger's eye makeup.

• Love 7
(edited)

Jessa looked tres chic in the taxi on their way to dinner in Paris. The loose side chignon sealed her role is most stylish Duggar. You got one sister who won't keep shoes on (Jill) and one sister who takes at least 4 pairs of boots to Europe. So much difference between the sisters in term of fashion which is interesting considering their restrictive upbringing. Jessa would do great with a fashion blog but her first post needs to be about the horrors of Jinger's eye makeup.

It's disgusting to go barefoot in a hospital, but aside from that incident I'm with Jill on the whole shoe thing. I HATE shoes. I'll only wear sneakers, boots, and flats if I have to. I have never owned heels.

Edited by Apple Clark
  • Love 3
(edited)

Hey, my name is Leigh. I NEVER could find that personalized plastic name plate for my bike when the family went to Disneyworld! *LOL*

I honestly think Jessa would have a huge following on the net if she went the Fabulous Fundie Fashion route.

I feel your pain. My name is Kristen and all the personalized crap growing up spelled my name with an -in instead of an

-en. If I saw a headband with my name spelled correctly, I can't guarantee I wouldn't buy it and I'm 36 lol.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 2

I think the girls wear pants at home. There is a pic of jinger in pants sitting on the couch with her phone. And the younger girls are always wearing leggings. I can see the skirt thing being mostly for tv purposes

• Love 2

Am I the only one that doesn't think they dress that modestly? They just dress normally but wear skirts instead of pants. Most of the ladies I see walking around don't have their tits out unless they are at the beach or the night club. You aren't special Duggars! I'd say I dress way more conservatively because I like to keep my skin away from the sun, not bc of defrauding men!

• Love 4
Am I the only one that doesn't think they dress that modestly? They just dress normally but wear skirts instead of pants. Most of the ladies I see walking around don't have their tits out unless they are at the beach or the night club. You aren't special Duggars! I'd say I dress way more conservatively because I like to keep my skin away from the sun, not bc of defrauding men!

You're definitely not the only one. I find their whole obsession with oh how modest they are to be more about self-aggrandizement and humble-bragging than about real modest dress. At first they wore clothes that were baggy and frumpy and perhaps a bit more concealing than the average person's clothes but these days their clothing choices aren't really that "modest", just regular if not particularly stylish (except for Jessa). They wear tight tops with no sleeves and I find the idea utterly ridiculous that half an inch of cloth covering the uppermost part of their arms magically makes them more modest than someone who's not wearing that half inch. The long denim skirts have mostly fallen by the wayside, and I never saw those as "modest" just unfashionable (I wore skirts like that in the late 90's!). They show knee more often than not and even when they are wearing those floor-length maxi skirts they tend to pick the most arse-hugging ones they can find. The only thing I can see today that fits their original idea of modest dress is that they wear tank tops under regular tops to make sure there is no cleavage and that those sinfully alluring collar bones are properly covered.

• Love 9

I think the tank tops under clothes is just the norm. I always wear a tank under my shirts and it's not exactly for modesty. I've been doing this since I was a child. I think most young teenagers don't dress modest but as you get older and start having children the way you dress changes. Ik I went from wearing short shorts and tanks to dressing in pants (even summer time) to pretty modest shirts. I agree with what you guys are saying about them being as modest as any other person. Btw my husband hates that I watch the duggars and he said he would never make his kids go through what the duggar kids have

• Love 2

What is kind and of ironic is in DC, conservative dress is the norm. Even our teenagers dress "modestly" in comparison to the rest of the country because we are such a suit and tie/pantsuit culture and it filters down. So when my son would watch the Duggars and they went on and on about how modestly they were dressed, he wasn't really sure what they were talking about except that most of their clothes looked cheap and often ugly.

• Love 4

I don't understand what is not modest about pants. Can't they wear regular fitting pants, not skin tight or anything, and still be modest? I don't see how a skirt is more modest.

Do the boys or girls swim? Are the boys allowed to be shirtless? Do the girls wear those horrible modesty swimsuits I've seen on the Internet?

• Love 1

My biggest take-away re the Duggars and their clothing is that the older girls wear very long [too long, IMO] skirts and inappropriate footwear. No one has ever seemed especially modest to me at all. Except for Me-chelle who needed TLC to put a big black bar over those enticing knees of hers when she went water-skiing. And of course that jacked-up monstrosity of a dress she wore to Jill's wedding. But there is no importance given to seeing that the females in this family get the appropriate shoes to wear. The boys always seem to have the proper footwear for whatever they're doing. But the girls are, for example, sent mountain-hiking in flip-flops, and they say they're fine with that. I'm sure they are, but they're kids. They're not expected to know that certain activities require proper, supportive, protective shoes. That's something parents are supposed to know - and provide. I believe all the Duggar girls are going to face serious foot and leg issues as they get older.

• Love 4
(edited)

I don't understand what is not modest about pants. Can't they wear regular fitting pants, not skin tight or anything, and still be modest? I don't see how a skirt is more modest.

Do the boys or girls swim? Are the boys allowed to be shirtless? Do the girls wear those horrible modesty swimsuits I've seen on the Internet?

My daughter is on the fringes of Duggardism, I've actually seen Michelle's videos about child rearing in her home. They loosely practice a brand of Duggar. They are southern Baptist, where her husband currently serves as a youth pastor. My oldest brother is all Duggar'd up, although I don't believe he means to intentionally live like them. I seriously doubt he knows who the Duggars are. He is Independent Baptist. I've seen posts on here entertaining the Thought that Duggars are Southern Baptist. They are not. Their family guidelines point directly to Independent Baptist. The Bob Jones kind.

So I guess I'll tell you what I've seen personally and you can decide for yourself. They most certainly could choose to wear pants that aren't form fitting and are plenty modest. My daughter and her daughters wear pants but never tight ones. My brothers wife hasn't had on pants in 40 years. None of the women in his church wear pants. This includes his DIL, who is in her late 20's. my brothers grandchildren LOVE to swim, but the daughter wears shorts and a full tshirt to do so. Their mother (who, remember, is in her 20's and is beautiful) wouldn't be caught dead in a swimsuit. If one of the children got in trouble in the water, she would jump in fully (modestly) dressed and save them. His grandsons wear regular long swim trunks but always have a shirt on as well. I don't think the men would go shirtless for love nor money. I bet my brother sleeps in a t-shirt. My daughter, on the other hand, allows her children to swim in one piece suits and her son to wear trunks. He is also comfortable without a shirt on a hot day. I believe my bothers family would probably condone the girl wearing pants if it was the most modest way to approach - such as skiing or skydiving (!!!). Otherwise, they will be wearing dresses almost to their ankles. (In my SIL's case, the dress is to her cankles.)

There is a Bible verse in Deuteronomy that speaks to the issue of women wearing men's clothing. It was considered blasphemy. I find (speaking from a less-than-stellar Southern Baptist position) two glaring issues with that. 1) we have no idea what was really being addressed with the verses. We weren't there, and we don't KNOW what the cultural values were. They ALL wore tunics, NOBODY wore pants. The differences between mens and women's clothing would have been very small. We're the women getting too big for their britches (so to speak) and taking on roles that would have traditionally been men's? We don't know. We werent there. If you take the verses literally, then truthfully the MEN in our society should be wearing dresses. i personally believe modern day Christians take verses literally when, in reality, they still believed the earth was flat then! Maybe (MAYBE) the writer was addressing some specific issue to the women in close proximity. They wouldn't have had the capacity to imagine us trying to live from the words they penned back then. 2) the verses were about modesty. The end. I don't think the ghost writer or the Guy giving dictation ever meant not to change your clothing based on your environment. They were simply saying, hey, girls dress like girls and boys dress like boys. Keep it covered.

The baaaaad Southern Baptist in me does an eye roll over the dress thing. I've debated many times with my bro over the years about his theology, ie insistence that the KJV is God's only authoritative voice, music that can't be more modern than Amazing Grace and MUST NOT have drums or a discernible beat, and the stupid dress code. If I get on the trail and stay there long enough without letting up for air, he will eventually come around to admit that "this is just what we prefer".

Oh. Well, okay then. If he would just SAY that up front, I would argue no more. Personal preference is one thing; blaming your own preferences on twisting God's words around is quite another. For me, anyway.

Edited by Happyfatchick
  • Love 10

There's a bit in the Terry Pratchett novel Witches Abroad where Granny Weatherwax is scandalized by the younger witch Magrat wearing pants. She's all "you can see her legs." and Nanny Ogg says "No you can't, on account of the material being in the way." And Granny says "You can see where her legs are!" I think the Duggars think like that when it comes to modesty rules for girls.

• Love 5

The whole "modesty" thing just annoys me.  I started watching at about 18 kids or so and was confused as to why everyone said that they were so "modest" and "conservative" with their clothes.  To be honest, they just looked like a family who liked long skirts and tee-shirts.  It was only when I saw some of the 14 kids footage that I realised why everyone had made such a big deal about their clothes with those butt-ugly dresses with collars.  But now?  They are just making a big deal out of the fact that no-one sees their thighs or shoulders.  Big whoop.  

I have a few friends who are Islamic and wear the hijab so they cover up their arms and legs.  They don't walk around saying "LOOK AT MY MODESTY" or draw attention to it at all, it is just part of their lives.  The Duggar's could actually take some hints about how to be fashionable and modest, taking tunic tops with a long-sleeved shirt or wearing nice pants (doesn't even have to be jeans).  Or just a nicer variation of those bloody maxi skirts.  

I don't like the motivation behind the Duggar modesty either.  It is one thing to say that only your husband should see your body (it being sacred/special, etc.) and another to say that girls need to cover up to avoid "defrauding" boys.  Teach your boys to keep it in their pants and that they should wait til marriage (if that is what you want) and teach your girls to love their bodies, not hide them up because they could lead to sin.  

• Love 7

Duggar modesty does not have standards, really. They change it as they go..

It started with little house on the prairie dresses for all. Then it turned into faded polos and long skirts. Nowadays, they wear sleeveless tops.... what we would call a conservative tank top! It BARELY covers their shoulders....

• Love 2

When I read the modesty verses in the Bible, it never seemed to be about clothing for me, it was about not parading yourself around and (to put it simply) being a fame whore. Like the Duggars are.

Yes, their modesty has changed. What is modest about Anna's outfit in this photo taken last night?

https://twitter.com/joshduggar/status/595043373028810753?s=04

Also, notice that Michelle's hemline has gone a little higher. I guess the black tights fill the modesty quota.

Did you see the one comment, "@joshduggar, serious question. If the word 'fun' was taken out of the English language, would Anna have anything else to say?"

• Love 2
(edited)

Did you see the one comment, "@joshduggar, serious question. If the word 'fun' was taken out of the English language, would Anna have anything else to say?"

But of course. There would still be 'special,' 'blessing,' and 'pregnancy test.' :-)

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 2

Yes, their modesty has changed. What is modest about Anna's outfit in this photo taken last night?

Also, notice that Michelle's hemline has gone a little higher. I guess the black tights fill the modesty quota.

That shirt is just wrong.  There are tons of maternity shirts out there and that one just looks hideous on her.  

Another thing that is bugging me about the Duggars is the home haircuts on the men.  Derek and Ben didn't look too bad when they first started courting the girls, but their haircuts have gotten worse, and the beards are not helping.  I wish they would splurge on a professional haircut, especially for special occasions.  It's not like they have to spend $100s of dollars on a haircut; a barbershop haircut is only about $10.  

• Love 1

Home haircuts don't bother me in general, but yeah I agree. A cheap $10 haircut would be great. I also generally don't mind beards, in fact I usually like 'em. But Derick's is too...thin, I guess. Patchy. Not a good look. Shave it off. Please.

• Love 1

I feel like, especially with the younger girls, they will wear skirts/dresses that don't go past the knees, but will justify by wearing leggings, pants, or tights. Why not just wear leggings, pants, or tights then? It really doesn't make much sense why they are so strongly concerned with not showing their thighs, when you can literally see everything else (i.e., their chest...). That being said, I really am not as put off by their style as most people are. I like their maxi dresses and, surprisingly, don't mind them wearing their boots with jean skirts (although I would never try something like that ha!). I just think there are some flaws in their argument for why they dress how they do.

• Love 4

@neural-plasticity I think some people (including myself sometimes, ha...) comment on their clothing because of what it used to be, so they just keep on snarking on it. I personally don't like the boots with jean skirts, mainly just because the skirts are too long. If they raised the hemlines to above the knee it'd be cuter. I try not to comment on their clothes too much though because A. I can't dress myself (yay for jeans and Converse), B. The clothes have gotten a lot better, and C. Who really cares? They're just clothes.

• Love 2
(edited)

I thought it was interesting too that they only rent the house in Oxon Hill, MD. Considering their debt free beliefs, that's a big monthly payment with nothing to show for it. You'd think, having lived rent free in Grandma's house for several years, they'd have saved enough for a down payment and mortgage.

My theory is that Josh wasn't paid a whole heck of a lot for managing the car lot. I think Boob retained complete ownership, and that Josh was paid enough to cover their average weekly or monthly living expenses. Hopefully there were increases when Mack, Michael and Marcus came along. Josh may have had access to a dedicated "drawing" account or been issued a paycheck. And while I hope Josh had a savings account, there might not always have been much excess to deposit. Or control-freak Boob made the savings deposits himself as Josh's employer. Since Boob would not be anticipating Josh needing a nice chunk of $$ anytime soon for a down-payment, it may have been a relatively-modest size account at the time Josh got his FRC offer.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

I've seen estimated that JB is worth three million. That's nice, but buying Josh a house in the DC area would take an enormous bite out of that - even in Prince George's County. And there is no way Josh and Anna could have done that themselves. But technically they were "renting" from Grandma Duggar or JB, as are the two daughters, so it's not as though the Duggars can claim they are against renting (which they probably would be, but then, how would they have holds over their adult children?). And that backfired when Josh and Anna moved to Maryland.

Please use this thread to talk about the many financing topics of the Duggars. From how much do the Duggars get paid for each episode, do the older kids get any money from the show, the wheeling and dealing of saving a few bucks on a family outing, do the married children pay rent to Jim Bob, Derick's job, how do the Duggars make money, and many other topics about the Duggars' money making and no debt way of thinking. Any questions or concerns about the thread, please send a PM to one of the mods. Thank you.

Please use the education thread to post about the Duggars' way of teaching their children the ABC's at the family table, Derick's and Ben's college education, fundy type colleges, and the many other education related topics discuss on the forum. Any questions or concerns about the thread, please send a PM to one of the mods. Thank you.