Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

Sounds comfortable. Does it cut your neck when you sleep on it?

haha it can be sharp. I begged my parents for a perm in elementary school, because I so wanted that DJ Tanner huge perm, but alas, I was denied. Blessings in disguise now LOL. Nothing is sexier than hard, crunchy hair.

• Love 2

Jim Bob looks like the long lost inbred Kennedy cousin that's kept out of sight in a barn somewhere, because he just ain't right in the head. Somehow Josh even manages to look like a smug, smarmy pre-schooler.

OMG.... dead.

• Love 2

In the Bates thread there's talk of the Michael Bates wedding (Jana is in the bridal party) and potential bridesmaid dresses. I clicked around the site and think some of the dresses themselves aren't so bad (the fail comes with the real-life women lacking many clues about hair and makeup and accessorizing and dressing to flatter skin tone and body type). I might actually want one of the pencil skirts, but clicked on the swimwear tab and...I guess it's better than the Lydia of Purple stuff? The options just seem wildly impractical for actual swimming. From a distance, people would wonder why that lady is ruining a nice dress by going into the water.

• Love 1

I'm new to the modest dress thing. If a modest person were to go swimming in one of those swimdresses, wouldn't Ms Modest risk having the skirt float about and expose her most defrauding assets? Not to mention how it would droop and cling as she came out of the water. Maybe they wear a normal swimsuit underneath? It baffles my Spandex-clad self.

• Love 6

In the Bates thread there's talk of the Michael Bates wedding (Jana is in the bridal party) and potential bridesmaid dresses. I clicked around the site and think some of the dresses themselves aren't so bad (the fail comes with the real-life women lacking many clues about hair and makeup and accessorizing and dressing to flatter skin tone and body type). I might actually want one of the pencil skirts, but clicked on the swimwear tab and...I guess it's better than the Lydia of Purple stuff? The options just seem wildly impractical for actual swimming. From a distance, people would wonder why that lady is ruining a nice dress by going into the water.

Wow, people will pay $70 for this? It's even lined so it doesn't cling. To be extra safe, swim at night and in a remote location. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 5

I'm new to the modest dress thing. If a modest person were to go swimming in one of those swimdresses, wouldn't Ms Modest risk having the skirt float about and expose her most defrauding assets? Not to mention how it would droop and cling as she came out of the water. Maybe they wear a normal swimsuit underneath? It baffles my Spandex-clad self.

Apparently, they sell layering shorts to go under the dresses. The site uses this disclaimer with all of their swim apparel: 

This Swimdress was created to promote more modest apparel for leisure activities, like light swimming and lounging. This dress may not be appropriate for Some extreme forms exercise and swimming activities.

So if you were just splashing around in the pool or the edge of the water with little kids, you'd be good. I guess anything more wouldn't be dainty?

• Love 3

Those swim dresses look like an accidental drowning waiting to happen.

Dejana, I agree some of the styles are pretty cute. I think these Fundie girls go wrong by a) over accessorizing with stupid props b) clinging to prom hair circa 1992 and c) not wearing enough makeup. They all look mousy and washed out.

• Love 7

The Duggars have a pool now and it looks like the girls wear long board shorts (possible boys shorts) when swimming.
  • Love 1

The Duggars have a pool now and it looks like the girls wear long board shorts (possible boys shorts) when swimming.

Do they wear swimming caps?  Gagh!  Imagine the pool filters, which I am sure are not being checked and changed often enough.  I'm equally sure the water isn't being adequately checked for cleanliness.  

Just, ewww.

• Love 2

So...swim dresses are actually for lounging, not swimming. Not sure why they need special attire for that, but...heck, I'm not sure about a lot of things. And what about the men? Do they take off their shirts? Does JB wear a Speedo? I did see the IG picture of the Seewalds in swim shorts and t-shirts a while back. That must be so horribly uncomfortable. I can't stand wearing wet clothes. 

• Love 3

De-lurking to share that the DaintyJewell site began as a "creative outlet for a 16 year old" fundie, so that explains a lot. Would also explain the horrid grammar, presuming the content was written by SOTDRT fundie types. *slips back into rhe shadows*

• Love 14

I wonder what makes them swimdresses rather than regular dresses? I'd assume it's something about the material they're made from -- like that it won't ride up or become transparent or something -- but it actually looks like just your average dress material in those pictures. You'd think she'd publish some kind of explanation of why you should buy her fairly pricey swimdresses rather than just swim in some dress or skirt and top you already have around the house or can pick up cheaply at WalMart.

Apparently, they sell layering shorts to go under the dresses. The site uses this disclaimer with all of their swim apparel: 

So if you were just splashing around in the pool or the edge of the water with little kids, you'd be good. I guess anything more wouldn't be dainty?

Interesting. But if I were just going to splash and I wanted to do this, I'd just layer a regular pair of shorts that I already owned with a skirt and top that I already owned. Doesn't seem to be a lot of point to do anything else.

And if I were going to swim, I'd wear something in which I wasn't likely to be dragged to the bottom and drowned.

• Love 2

The Duggars have a pool now?  Inground, above ground or one of those horse feeding buckets the boys used to swim in (fully clothed of course)?

• Love 1

I wonder what makes them swimdresses rather than regular dresses? I'd assume it's something about the material they're made from -- like that it won't ride up or become transparent or something -- but it actually looks like just your average dress material in those pictures. You'd think she'd publish some kind of explanation of why you should buy her fairly pricey swimdresses rather than just swim in some dress or skirt and top you already have around the house or can pick up cheaply at WalMart.

Yes, it's the fabric:

Made with a soft Lycra Spandex This Solid Swim dress is perfect for a day at the beach! Not only is it a great Swim Dress but also a great Cover-up! The fabric is very high quality lycra, which dries out SUPER quick! SO after a warm swim, you can wear this to have a girls night out, shopping and look adorable at BOTH Places!

It is lined with a soft Mesh to help prevent clinging. Let’s be honest, Anything completely submerged in water is going to cling unless its a heavy utility fabric used for couches! But we have added this mesh to help prevent the clinging.

It's made with a VERY High Quality Designer Lycra Spandex (Swimsuit Fabric.) Another great Plus about our Swimwear is they dry SO quickly! Don’t you hate wearing Cotton dresses to the beach and having to wait 2-3 hours to dry off? For extra modesty you can also purchase our layering shorts available on our website.

Yes, it's the fabric:

Thanks. Wow. So it's an all-occasion outfit for which one possible occasion is actual swimming. Well, that's really kind of impressive, I guess. And I suppose if you're going to wear a dress to swim, you probably don't want to bring an extra dress along with you. .... Can't quite picture these women going for a post-swimming night on the town, but if they say so....

And anti-cling mesh! Sounds like something you'd find on the Space Shuttle.

• Love 7

You can see the faintest sliver of the Layering Shorts (for swimwear only) here. I guess her knees are covered so the model's modesty wasn't compromised. One customer review mentioned wearing them on roller coasters. What sorts of roller coasters are they going on that their modesty in below-the-knee/angle length skirts is compromised?

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

Those tiered lace bridesmaid monstrosities make Jill's wedding look chic. The tiered lace ruffles do not flatter any of the girls in any of the photos - no matter what height, weight, shape, skin tone, etc. I can't believe that many brides chose them. It's like they're trying to look fugly.

I'm also trying to wrap my mind around how none of them seem to think super high heels with straps and platforms, peeptoes and big flowers, etc., are NOT sexy. Also, several of them aren't wearing any sort of pantyhose, and yes, it is super old fashioned, but I know my old school modest grandparents generation though only the loosest of loose women didn't wear proper hosiery to formal events, especially with high heels and skirts that could blow up and show some knee or thigh.

Also again - what's with so many of them wearing big flapper headbands with feathers and rosettes. Clearly homemade. Is this a thing with adult women? Huge bows on babies and little girls I get, but big old head pieces on women? O

n a positive note, there are quite a few beautiful bouquets shown there. I've never seen one with succulents, but I'm digging it.

• Love 6

The Duggars have a pool now? Inground, above ground or one of those horse feeding buckets the boys used to swim in (fully clothed of course)?

A very nice inground pool. People to started to spot it in the background before the series ended. Jessa posted a video a few days ago of all the kids swimming in their pool.
  • Love 2

A very nice inground pool. People to started to spot it in the background before the series ended. Jessa posted a video a few days ago of all the kids swimming in their pool.

I really doubt that's their pool. The pool on Jessa's Instagram has manicured landscaping, that's not Duggar style, and a pool fence, that's really not their style. JimBob and Michelle don't appear to like to swimming, so I can't picture them buying a pool. Edited by Kokapetl

*FAINTS* so that's not defrauding and man clothes?

I wonder if the boys and girls are allowed to swim at the same time? I had a friend growing up, and her parents had a really nice pool, but she could only have girls over for swimming. Even a male neighbor and male cousins had to swim separately. We were all elementary school age - we're talking young enough to wear Minnie Mouse and Hello Kitty one pieces suits with ruffles around the bottom. It was also a huge deal that no one was allowed to swim on Sundays. She could ride bikes, play on the playground, etc., but not swim. Not sure where that one came from. 

• Love 2

I really doubt that's their pool. The pool on Jessa's Instagram has manicured landscaping, that's not Duggar style, and a pool fence, that's really not their style. JimBob and Michelle don't appear to like to swimming, so I can't picture them buying a pool.

It's the same fencing on their property. It's their pool. People began spotting it in the last few episodes.

And their landscaping is far from manicured. If you check out this photo, you can see that all plants on the right side are trampled, overgrown or dead. https://instagram.com/p/6BJh9jDfrq/

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 1

It's the same fencing on their property. It's their pool. People began spotting it in the last few episodes.

And their landscaping is far from manicured. If you check out this photo, you can see that all plants on the right side are trampled, overgrown or dead. https://instagram.com/p/6BJh9jDfrq/

I checked the city's property records, there's no evidence of a pool. I checked the records of their neighbors with pools I could see, and those pools are listed on the records.

Nice to see they let Josie wear something practical to swim in. Also nice to see they've ensured it's physically impossible for her to drown.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

So...swim dresses are actually for lounging, not swimming. Not sure why they need special attire for that, but...heck, I'm not sure about a lot of things. And what about the men? Do they take off their shirts? Does JB wear a Speedo? I did see the IG picture of the Seewalds in swim shorts and t-shirts a while back. That must be so horribly uncomfortable. I can't stand wearing wet clothes.

Ok, so the swim dress material makes them dry quickly but what about what's underneath? I can't imagine sitting around in a dress with wet Victoria Secrets underneath.

• Love 1

Light swimming?    These people are insane.

Guess that rules out Marco (grab my) Polo?

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 1

I clicked on one of the dresses, and the blurb described "going for a nice, warm swim"...If I had to wear this much fabric at the beach, I would probably be looking to cool off in the first place, and in the second place, where exactly are they swimming that the water is apparently at bathtub temperature?

• Love 3

I understand the desire for modest swimwear.  I have a one piece that we refer to as my Amish outfit.  It goes very high at the top and the skirt is longer than expected.  It is absolutely not form fitting.  Because of skin issues (cancer, scarring) I tend to wear more modest suits.  I also have rash guard tops.  What I find disturbing in the modest swimwear on the linked site is how long the skirts are.  It adds a level of risk to swimming. That much material could easily get wrapped around the legs, making it hard to move.  So while it is better material than denim, it's still a lot to have on when swimming.  

I used to be on a swim team.  To build muscle (and sometimes as a punishment) we would have to swim in sweats or jeans.  The weight of wet clothing would drag you down.  Even the strongest swimmers would be exhausted.  So I hope they are now letting the girls swim in board shorts and the like.  

ETA Maybe now when Josh is not there, they can loosen up some.

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 7

I used to be on a swim team. To build muscle (and sometimes as a punishment) we would have to swim in sweats or jeans. The weight of wet clothing would drag you down. Even the strongest swimmers would be exhausted. So I hope they are now letting the girls swim in board shorts and the like.

I was on a swim team as well and we did the same! I also did lifeguard training where we had to jump in fully clothed, tread water then disrobe and turn our clothes into flotation devices. I was in crazy good shape back then and after ten minutes of trying to stay afloat with clothes on I was huffing and puffing like you wouldn't believe. Hopefully these Fundie girls stick to the shallow end.

• Love 2

Let's talk about flip flops, shall we? I love a good comfortable pair in the summer, but there's a time and place, that time and place is not running a marathon or making your way through a South American jungle.

• Love 4

Let's talk about flip flops, shall we? I love a good comfortable pair in the summer, but there's a time and place, that time and place is not running a marathon or making your way through a South American jungle.

Or doing construction work.

• Love 4

Or doing construction work.

Imagine how easily a nail could puncture thin, foam rubber. Or a heavy piece of equipment could fall off a table and land on a bare foot. The Duggars are an OSHA nightmare waiting to happen.

• Love 5

I checked the city's property records, there's no evidence of a pool. I checked the records of their neighbors with pools I could see, and those pools are listed on the records.

Nice to see they let Josie wear something practical to swim in. Also nice to see they've ensured it's physically impossible for her to drown.

The pool shown in the Instagram photo with Josie in it looks like the one they were swimming on a past episode during a warm spell in Arkansas. The friends who owned the pool were away at the time, and had apparently given Boob carte blanche to use the pool. He took all the kids and then decided to order pizzas for lunch - the film crew were shown delivering a tower of boxes poolside. Quite a while back. May have been pre-Josie, even pre-Jordyn.

• Love 1

With embarrassment I must confess... we spent our summers at our cottage on a lake. We were barefoot pretty much from June - August. There were four of us kids and my mom kept a bunch a flip-flops and clean shirts in the back of the station wagon because inevitably when she would round us up to go into town at least two of us were still barefoot. Granted we were kids, but we did all kinds of stuff where shoes were warranted in our bare feet. 

• Love 2

I hate flip flops and the noise they make slapping your heel.  Drives me nuts.  Husband used to wear them and we had unkind words about it.  When my back is very bad I will once in a while go to mani-pedi place and they insist you either wear your own or they loan you the paper ones.  Even their smallest are many sized too big for me.  Last year I looked everywhere for the dollar ones and found nothing but those 18.95 and up.  Unbefingbelievable.  (notice the f word)  Didn't buy any of course but now this year I see the dollar ones everywhere.  Go figure.

• Love 2

I hate flip flops but not for safety or style reasons. I just hate that thing between the toes. Am I the only one who can feel that thing constantly?

I never wear them either. I can't walk in flats most of my shoes are 2-3 inches including my house shoes.

• Love 1

I hate flip flops but not for safety or style reasons. I just hate that thing between the toes. Am I the only one who can feel that thing constantly?

There's always Crocs. ;-)

• Love 3

Crocs are lightweight & spongy. I have one pair and they are very comfortable. And I am probably the one person in the world that thinks they are cute. They are great shoes for kids though, easy to clean, easy on and off and can be handed down without gross wear & tear.

Sorry Bella.

Uh oh. Is the a way I can move my own post?

We need 'Thread Training" 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 1

Crocs are lightweight & spongy. I have one pair and they are very comfortable. And I am probably the one person in the world that thinks they are cute. They are great shoes for kids though, easy to clean, easy on and off and can be handed down without gross wear & tear.

Sorry Bella.

Uh oh. Is the a way I can move my own post?

We need 'Thread Training" 

Moving posts is a bitch. That's why we threaten to hide/delete OT posts instead of just moving them. But if you want to copy your content here and carry it over to repost in Small Talk, that would be fine.

Moving posts is a bitch. That's why we threaten to hide/delete OT posts instead of just moving them. But if you want to copy your content here and carry it over to repost in Small Talk, that would be fine.

No need. Delete away.