Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggars and Their World: Fashion, Food, Finance, Schoolin’ and Child Rearin'

• Start Topic

I thought those firefighter skirts were utterly ridiculous...this family has lost the "spirit of the law" and the "letter of the law"..How in blue blazes can anyone be a firefighter in a skirt? That would be so dangerous, impractical and just plain stupid IMO. They are walking amid flames....a flairy skirt or anything would be a certain hazard to catch fire itself.....those girls looked ridiculous making that suggestion...If you can't keep safe and do the job with the required uniform, (which is there for a REASON), then don't do it at all...I think it merely was an attempt to gain attention to their "cause"...so, whatever happened to their dedication to serving the community as firefighters? Anyone else see Jill, Jana or Jinger fight a fire lately? So, when did Jilly switch interests to midwifery? No mention of that at all.

I would love to hear the Duggars explain why John David is allowed to perform such a service when he very likely may come across a female who is improperly dressed, intoxicated, or nude for whatever reason? How would he handle that one? These dedicated individuals who really serve see it all....

• Love 3

I would love to know how much firefighting or first responses the girls actually did. The main purpose of the girls being a volunteer was to keep an eye on JD to make sure he would not be tempted by a heathen, hussy female. Makes me wonder about their "community service" the Duggars try to portray to the world.

(edited)

When the firefighting skirt thing came out, it was noted those were the dress uniform pants that they were modifying.  If actually fighting fires, they would have been in the real yellow suit.  I have doubts that they ever went to a fire to fully participate or we'd have had pictures.  

Edited by Absolom
  • Love 1

And the hair ... the hair. Full disclosure: I had bad '80s hair for way too long. My hair is thick and curly like Michelle's, and I hung on to my unflattering style because it worked well with my hair and I didn't really know anything else to do with it. Two years ago, I finally had the courage to lose about 10 inches and stop "poofing" it, and honestly, the difference has been life-changing. Michelle is adding years to her look. And why wouldn't she pull her hair back for the gym? What a god-awful, sweat-soaked mess that would be.

The funny thing is, I think Michelle perms that rat's nest of hers, and if so, she actually makes a concerted effort to look that outdated. She has intentionally hung onto that hairstyle for more than 30 years! The length, the pouf, the curls -- just, no! Some women her age can pull off a sleek shoulder length hairstyle and look put together and current -- but most women cannot and do not because it takes more time and their hair is thinning and drier due to aging. I would love to see Michelle take the plunge and take off 8-12 inches and get a current style that suits her face. She could do it during the off-season so she has time to experiment and get used to it without being filmed. She could be much more attractive if she'd only take some risks and that goes for her clothing too. She could still wear skirts and dresses and look current by ditching all her clothes and have someone style her and take her shopping. And finally, if she's going to work out, for the love of God, pitch the skirt and leggings and throw on a pair of yoga pants and a loose fitting t-shirt. It can be done modestly and still look feminine.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 2

One could clearly see the difference in texture, shine and health between Cindy's hair and Michelle's hair..Michelle's is dull, dry damaged and frizzy. It looks awful and I would also think any "workout" at all would require Mishy to put that mess up off her neck with a rubber band! There was no real work out done at all; simply episode fill-in...Michelle has those machines "back at the Duggar compound" where they can work out in their own private room in the warehouse...remember that room? Ben, Jessa and Joy used it a bit ago...

Ms Blossom, I agree about Michelle perming her hair or doing something to it. Thought I read she made the comment after the makeover when her hair was straight, that it looks like that when she got out of the shower. Weren't we guessing that was true cuz when she came over early to drive with the Smuggars at Michael's birth her hair was straight, like she didn't have time to curl it or whatever she does to get that look?

Yes, she did say that! And judging by the looks of all the Duggar kids, they mostly have straight hair too, except for Josie. Jeremiah, Jedediah, and Jinger have less silky and more coarsely textured hair. But I think they get that more so from JB.

Jeremiah, Jedediah, and Jinger have less silky and more coarsely textured hair

We saw Jinger getting a home perm once. Not sure what her hair's texture is, but home perms sure can't be helping.

• Love 1

Yes, she did say that! And judging by the looks of all the Duggar kids, they mostly have straight hair too, except for Josie. Jeremiah, Jedediah, and Jinger have less silky and more coarsely textured hair. But I think they get that more so from JB.

Josie's curls could be temporary too. Lots of little kids start out with curly or wavy hair, but gradually lose it. My nephew looked like Harpo Marx for about a year - the cutest thing - a thick headful of blonde curls - but they gradually disappeared. Totally gone by the time he went to kindergarten.

• Love 1

The older girls are dressing so much cuter and more modern than before. Jill still looks a hot mess, but Jana, Jessa, Jinger and Joy are stepping it up. Good timing for them that maxi dresses and skirts are still in. 

They've all been seen in the same navy and narrow white chevron maxi dress with cap sleeves, and it's cute. I'd actually wear it. It's cute and doesn't need to be 'flamboyantly modified.' 

Josie's curls could be temporary too. Lots of little kids start out with curly or wavy hair, but gradually lose it. My nephew looked like Harpo Marx for about a year - the cutest thing - a thick headful of blonde curls - but they gradually disappeared. Totally gone by the time he went to kindergarten.

They might come back, though...I had the same sort of curly mop when I was little, but only slightly wavy hair by the time I was 6 or 7, then it got fairly curly again around when I was in my teens. Additionally, it turned straight for about 6 months after I had each of my 3 kids (my hair volume seemed to double while I was pregnant, then a lot  of it fell out after the babies were born, and I guess all the extra hair was straight & took over. I always had fairly short hair, though, so after about 6 months the normal texture was more prominent again. These days it's still pretty curly, though tends toward more frizziness during the winter, but it loves humid summer weather-far more than I do! I suppose I'm sometimes guilty of holding onto the 80's hair as well because I simply don't think I look good in the more streamlined styles of the day, but in reality, the way I ideally style it when it's cooperating is more akin to a 50's side-part sort of look.

Being that they are "so big on" accepting and LOVING the way God made them, why do they curl the straight hair that God meant them to have? Why paint eyeliner and lipstick on their eyes and lips when God deemed them to NOT have those things on their faces? Why hide the legs that God meant for them to have?  See how far one can take things like the Duggars do? They certainly pick and choose their belief system....

• Love 8

While watching the Bates tonight, I made an effort to notice the girl's hair. I think the big difference between them & most of the Duggar girls is the Bates girl's hair looks CLEAN, well conditioned, combed with nice hairstyles. Ok, I know Erin goes wild with the poufy curls but most of them have straight long hair. No extra long, dry, scraggly, uneven ends for them. I'm talking to you Jilly & MEchelle. Maybe the Bates girls didn't go thru the dry, frizzy, leave your hair with major damage perm phase like the Duggar girls. Maybe Gil prefers straight over curls but I just remembered, isn't curls a Gothard thing?

The talk about hair changing between straight & curly reminded me of a patient we had in one of the doctors offices I worked at. After losing her long straight hair with chemo, the new hair grew in curly. IIRC, she said she never had curly hair & the doctor thought it may have been from the chemo. Anyone else heard of this?

Yes, two friends of mine both at chemo at different times and the new hair grew in curly and a different shade for one and a different color for the other one.

I hope more of the Duggar daughters begin trimming their hair soon.  Almost all of them have hair that is plenty long enough to cut off a few inches.

• Love 2

While watching the Bates tonight, I made an effort to notice the girl's hair. I think the big difference between them & most of the Duggar girls is the Bates girl's hair looks CLEAN, well conditioned, combed with nice hairstyles. Ok, I know Erin goes wild with the poufy curls but most of them have straight long hair. No extra long, dry, scraggly, uneven ends for them. I'm talking to you Jilly & MEchelle. Maybe the Bates girls didn't go thru the dry, frizzy, leave your hair with major damage perm phase like the Duggar girls. Maybe Gil prefers straight over curls but I just remembered, isn't curls a Gothard thing?

The talk about hair changing between straight & curly reminded me of a patient we had in one of the doctors offices I worked at. After losing her long straight hair with chemo, the new hair grew in curly. IIRC, she said she never had curly hair & the doctor thought it may have been from the chemo. Anyone else heard of this?

My mother in law had straight brown hair and after chemo it came back curly and silver! We thought it was so cute and she loved it.

I am incredibly curious about Jill's pinterest, but no luck finding it.

I know that the makeup can seem a bit much sometimes, but makeup can be very individualized. I'm up for anything that helps any J'Slave stand out from fellow J'Slaves.

Jana particularly though, still wears these really sad-looking, long jumpers that age her terribly.

Wasn't there an episode where JB was running a 5k in jeans? And the boys tagged along, and Jim Bob was like, "It's absolutely great to run in jeans!" Please.

Also chiming in, I wear flowers in my hair on occasion. Needed a barrette and they're cute to me is all.

Omg the running in jeans, what about chafing?! The girls had to run in fucking skirts and sandals?! Absolutely ridiculous. The episode where they went on a mission trip somewhere (totally forgot where) the girls hiked up a small mountain in calf length skirts and sandals, after being warned about venomous snakes and bugs, plus flip flops aren't going to help you while hiking up rocky hills! Talk about twisted ankles. That's just dangerous! I'm Christian, (NOT Quiverfull) and I'm pretty damn sure that God cares more about us being safe from venomous animals and twisted ankles than who sees our knees. OH that reminds me! I HATED when Michelle censored her knees while kneeboarding or something because for some forsaken reason knees are immodest. It's so bizarre.

• Love 1

The older girls are dressing so much cuter and more modern than before. Jill still looks a hot mess, but Jana, Jessa, Jinger and Joy are stepping it up. Good timing for them that maxi dresses and skirts are still in. 

They've all been seen in the same navy and narrow white chevron maxi dress with cap sleeves, and it's cute. I'd actually wear it. It's cute and doesn't need to be 'flamboyantly modified.'

I don't think Jil looks bad all the time, she once wore a black and white striped maxi with a yellow cardigan, and I remember because that was the first time I have ever said anything was cute while watching 19 Kids. But poor Joy needs to get her own damned clothing, she's not a size 2 like Jessa so why is she wearing her hand-me-downs?! I don't have anything against Jessa, (it's hard to tell on TV but we're about the same size), but Joy has a beautiful curvy figure and she can't even wear clothing that will compliment that, because of both modesty and this BS "buy used, saved the difference". I say BS not because it's dumb, it's actually not at all, but make an exception for your daughter. They made exceptions for Mac Airs and iPhones, after all. Joy seems a little more rebellious than the others as well, or is that just me...?

• Love 2

Joy grew up with Grandma being her mother. I can see where she is more rebellious than the others. I'm pretty sure that Grandma speaks her mind in that house when the cameras aren't on. Grandma just stays because she is so needed to MOTHER those kids. As we saw in the Wedding Prep epi Grandma and MEchelle really don't have a relationship--they barely talk to each other it seems. 

Yep I can see Joy running as fast as she can.

Edited by Fuzzysox
  • Love 2

I was surfing channels and stopped at what was an apparent 'Duggarthon'. I haven't watched this series since it first aired in 2008. It freaks me out in so many different directions. I'll keep my comments to the four words that kept going around in my head as I watched Michelle snorkel in her dress. I found out that the website 'WholesomeWear.com' is a website that makes clothes for modest swimming. What the what??!
http://www.wholesomewear.com/slimmer-c.html

real-life1.jpg

• Love 3

I'm over the mustard-color sweater Jill wears so often. It's unflattering and washes her out. A new sweater and a much-needed haircut would do wonders for her.

Agreed, but at least she's not wearing jumpers anymore. Her hair though! Yikes. Her split ends and lack of combing (or even washing/conditioning) is apparent.

• Love 2

The long hair bothers me. Aside from the Duggars there seems to be a rule that almost all women on TV even those over 40  have to have boob length hair. I am looking at you Lorraine Bracco.

• Love 5

What bothers me most about their overly long hair is that it is always hanging loose when they are in the kitchen...so not hygienic...Someone needs to give those girls a barette or a rubber band....Michelle included...( if she is ever in the kitchen, that is).

• Love 4

What's sad is that the girls may not have been taught this is something you do when cooking & preparing food. Looking at you MEchelle. Do they tie their hair back when cleaning? I can't imagine bending over scrubbing something with those mops hanging down. I think I answered my own question. Duggars >>>>clean house? By what we see, cleaning isn't a priority.

• Love 1

Have just seen Jill's wedding episode. Lots of stuff that made me raise the eyebrows, (bare feet, really?) and then things that I did like (first look and couple photos before the ceremony). BUT Mechelle's dress was so atrocious I had to pause and rewind a few times to take in the absolute hideousness of it. All those shiny tiers, the pointy bust line, the weird modesty insert, and the peculiar length. No wonder it was on the sale rack. And she looked like she was well upholstered underneath, so I sort of hoped she was wearing a very uncomfortable undergarment. So ugly, so very ugly.

• Love 6

Jessa's pick for the bridemaid's dresses was so terrible, I wondered is she went out of her way to choose them because she didn't want them to outshine her.

She purchased their dresses from one of those Chinese bridal knockoff websites, like Jen Jen House.  I'm sure the dress that was pictured was lovely and composed of a completely different fabric.

• Love 1

It boggles my mind why a bride would think she can order an absolutely stunning bridal gown (I love Jessa's dressa, and if I ever get married I would look for something similar), and then expect her bridesmaids to wear hideous, cheap knockoff dresses.  I did like the peach color, and on TV they didn't look so bad but I wonder what they looked like in person.

I think she had a budget and made sure the money was spent on what was important - the bride. Given that in her culture this is the only time in her life she's really allowed to be selfish, I'm not even sure I can fault her for it. It's not like she's even been permitted to own the clothes in her closet before this.

• Love 7

It boggles my mind why a bride would think she can order an absolutely stunning bridal gown (I love Jessa's dressa, and if I ever get married I would look for something similar), and then expect her bridesmaids to wear hideous, cheap knockoff dresses. I did like the peach color, and on TV they didn't look so bad but I wonder what they looked like in person.

I think she said that the plan was the girls could wear the dresses again in a less formal situation? anywho, all that matters on the wedding day is queen JessaBlessa!

I didn't think that the bridesmaids' dresses were that bad. I think that the fabric was really cheap and thin, and caused the dresses to hang poorly, but I think that most of those girls have worn cheap clothing before.

The color that she chose was nice and flattering to a lot of different skin tones. The rusching, and the general business on the bodice camouflages a number of figure flaws and is relatively flattering to different body types.

Given the amount of concern that the average bride shows for her bridesmaids when selecting a dress (none), I think that Jessa was more thoughtful than most.

• Love 5

I think the biggest thing was the season. In a summer wedding the flimsy material wouldn't have looked as out of place. And also, against her gown, the flimsiness was heightened. But no modesty panels! Points for that!

• Love 6

Everything about that wedding suggested that Jessa intended for it to be a spring/summer wedding -- the colors, the clothes, the ice cream social reception. For whatever reason -- maybe Jill's wedding, maybe JB's reluctance to give Bin permission to propose -- I think it was pushed back

• Love 3
(edited)

I think she had a budget and made sure the money was spent on what was important - the bride. Given that in her culture this is the only time in her life she's really allowed to be selfish, I'm not even sure I can fault her for it. It's not like she's even been permitted to own the clothes in her closet before this.

I agree... I remember the first time I saw that community closet and it made me really sad. I have 3 girls (obviously LOL) and now they they are teenagers and mostly grown and very similar in size they could easily share clothes. And they do. But they have clothes that belong to them. Their sisters ask to borrow them. I would never stick all the clothes together and tell them nothing was theirs. I know it's just clothes but keeping them from having any to themselves really represents so much more than clothes. 

As far as the bridesmaids dresses, I thought bridesmaids had to purchase their own dress. Is there a possibility that some of those bridesmaids needed a very low budget for the dress? I didn't think there was a problem with the style so much, as someone said above the roushing is a generally flattering style, it's just the cheap fabric which might have been necessary to keep the price down for the bridesmaids.

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 1
(edited)

I'm betting that the Duggars purchased the dresses. If it had been just family, that would be one thing, but given the discrepancy in wealth between the Duggars and the non-family bridesmaids and asking them to buy a dress, even an inexpensive one, would be the kind of thing to be gossiped about, even as a big reception in a parking lot would not.

Edited by GEML
  • Love 4

I think the Duggars purchased the dresses. Michelle kept yammering about keeping costs down which leads me to believe they were paying out of pocket.

The fabric was cheap looking but it's not like these girls are used to wearing Chanel and Dior. They've never owned quality so they wouldn't know any different.

• Love 3