Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Til Death

• Start Topic

Polly gets an unexpected visit from her long-lost sister that sends her spinning out of control; Uncle Daddy and Roller join forces with their Dixie Mafia brethren and make a plan to take out the Russian and Haitian mafias for good.

Well, Roller and Desna are at it again. I am not surprised. The build up was there. I knew that Zlata was never going to let Desna go. With her clean record, she is way too valuable. I wonder if Roller is going to split from UncleDaddy and team up with Desna, especially if she inherits all of Ruval's money.

I am glad that Dean and Desna made up at the end. I knew that he couldn't stay angry at her. He doesn't really understand what is going on anyway.

I figured out that Lillian was an illusion early on. I still don't like Polly.

Bryce and Jenn not getting the loan was not a surprise.

ETA: I am really loving Virginia and how much she loves Dean. She has won me over completely this season.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I loved Desna's pink dress in the beginning, although I wouldn't have my chest exposed like that.  Even though Roller is dumb/crazy, seeing his hookup with Desna was hot.
I guess having unprotected sex is the standard with this show, huh?

I never suspected that Polly was actually crazy.  Even after her breakdown, she just couldn't stop lying.  What happened to her sister was terrible.

I'm surprised Desna was being so open about her sham wedding.  I was afraid the wedding shop attendant would spill the beans to Ruval's mom.
The ladies looked great in their wedding outfits though.  I loved that they were rubbing their asses in the mother's face.

I don't know if Bryce can actually get away from his family. The rabbi's death was messed up.

• Love 7

Carrie Preston did a fabulous job of playing both sisters.

A real life game of Screw, Marry, Kill. Whee!

Enchiladas con Oxycontin. Guaranteed to numb your appetite!

I'm with Mama Ruval. Desna's bridal jumpsuit wasn't working for me either. I doubt RuPaul would wear it either.

Vaginal interrogation. Stay dumb, Roller. Hot but dumb.

• Love 6

Way to much stuff to get through with just one more episode left. They should have dumped most of Marnie's issues and had the wedding this episode and the aftermath of the wedding for the finale.

Dean should have made enough money to rent themselves a better place, they are going to be there a while and it is not like they have lots of expenses.

Desna claims that she is good at this criminal stuff, but really has shown it, why is she right back to trying herself to Roller. Desna needs to show that she doesn't need a man and just handle business.

I like Dr. Ken, I hope they figure out a way to use his wire to trick the police, so he can rejoin the crew.

• Love 1

Dammit if this silly, outrageous trashy show doesn't know exactly how to make me tear up!  Polly and her sister, Virginia cleaning the apartment and labeling all the food, Bryce and Jenn getting turned down at the bank, Desna and Dean at the end...then the rollercoaster heads back up when Bryce offs the Rabbi or Roller wants to know why they can't just sell the drugs to the kids from across the park,   They really do sneak some great writing in, in between the outrageous stuff!

• Love 8

Way too much Polly, whom I still don't like.  It was sad what happened to her sister, but even now I can see Polly killing someone and making it all about her and making herself the victim.  The woman needs to be institutionalized.

Virginia was sweet fixing up that apartment for Dean, and I am happy that he and Desna made up.

I'm getting tired of seeing Desna in those tacky jumpsuits with the exploding boobs, and the one she tried on for the wedding was over the top atrocious.  Mama Ruval is overbearing, but she was right telling Desna get a more traditional dress.  Desna looked stunning in that bridal gown and her boobs were covered just enough.  Mama Ruval should be her stylist.  Also, Desna looks much better in the muted shade of lipstick she wore last night, instead of bright red.

I liked that loan officer lady.  She's probably heard all kinds of sob stories from people trying to get loans so she wasn't falling for any bullshit from Bryce and Jenn.  

• Love 5

I enjoyed the ep but it does seem like there will be a lot of ground to cover in next week's season finale.

Polly's story makes sense but I'm still not totally invested despite the show taking time to flesh out her background. I don't know if so much of last night's ep needed to be devoted to her hallucinations but I enjoyed her telling Desna the truth about Lillian and the dance at the end. 

Whew at that Roller & Desna scene at the beginning of the ep at the shooting range. It's a wonder security didn't come running with all that throaty screaming Desna was doing.

The wedding jumpsuit was dragalicious yet so Desna but I did like the wedding gown. Did I miss what Desna said to Mama Ruval about the dress she sent her that she burned?

Jenn & Bryce at the bank was funny. I also laughed that they thought that any bank would loan them money. 

Desna and the nurse talking about how Ruval is marrying a sista? I felt that line cause I know it's more common for rich/successful Black men not to marry Black women. 

Another whew at Bryce killing Hank but I knew Bryce was going to flip with that "eating her sweet pussy line." He's barely recovered from seeing the video of Jen and Hank.

Bless that Roller doesn't know how to button most of his shirts. 

Virginia is less on my nerves this season and I'm fine with the small bits of she & Dean playing happy home (although that sex scenes was like watching a trainwreck). I didn't like her in S1 cause the writing belied what we saw onscreen and she was onscreen too much. I can take her better in small doses and when the show doesn't try so hard to whitewash her bad behavior. She works as the occasional comic relief in a scene. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm with Mama Ruval. Desna's bridal jumpsuit wasn't working for me either.

I thought the jumpsuit was much more Desna's speed than the dress she ended up in. If anyone can wear a bananas wedding outfit, it's Desna.

9 hours ago, lizzyp said:

They really do sneak some great writing in, in between the outrageous stuff!

Definitely!

• Love 7

This is going to sound gross, and my apologies in advance, but when Uncle Daddy said something about a butt hole being licked, whose was it?  I haven't watched all of the episodes.

9 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

This is going to sound gross, and my apologies in advance, but when Uncle Daddy said something about a butt hole being licked, whose was it?  I haven't watched all of the episodes.

Jenn "tossed the salad" of the Jewish stalker guy that Bryce killed. The line was used to show how close Uncle Daddy was becoming with his new Dixie Mafia crew, by telling intimate family secrets which alienated and lessened the bond that Uncle Daddy and Roller share.

• Love 3

Any chance that Polly's twin is still alive? Not sure how, but in typical soap opera fashion (and I do consider this show to be somewhat of a soap opera despite the craziness), moments like Polly had in this episode would only happen to unravel some kind of twist later on.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Syndicate said:

Any chance that Polly's twin is still alive?

I wouldn't put it past this show to pull that old soap staple.  It they did you know they are going to do it in the weirdest and most hysterical manner.  I can see Polly's evil twin having faked her death in order to drive her sister crazy and she has been appearing to Polly in her imagination as well as in real life.  How would Desna's crew deal with someone having gaslighted their "sister" for all of these years.

Edited by movingtargetgal
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I wouldn't put it past this show to pull that old soap staple.  It they did you know they are going to do it in the weirdest and most hysterical manner.  I can see Polly's evil twin having faked her death in order to drive her sister crazy and she has been appearing to Polly in her imagination as well as in real life.  How would Desna's crew deal with someone having gaslighted their "sister" for all of these years.

YES! To me, twin Lillian gave off a vibe of wickedness (and she apparently smoked cigarettes, HAHA!), so it would fit that she'd fake her death to get even with Polly for trying to kill her. I'd prefer this more dramatic outcome rather than Lillian being REALLY dead!

• Love 2

I have been wondering if Ruval is in love with Desna and intends to stay married to her and kill Zlata. We don't see enough of him to know. He is clearly not an important character.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Whew at that Roller & Desna scene at the beginning of the ep at the shooting range. It's a wonder security didn't come running with all that throaty screaming Desna was doing.

My first thought was, "Aren't there cameras in there?" I would think that a shooting range would have plenty of security cameras.

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

My first thought was, "Aren't there cameras in there?" I would think that a shooting range would have plenty of security cameras.

Maybe they don't mind the cameras, especially since they didn't show much skin?

39 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I have been wondering if Ruval is in love with Desna and intends to stay married to her and kill Zlata. We don't see enough of him to know. He is clearly not an important character.

I don't get that impression at all. I think we see the real him when he's with Zlata, his mama, or his men and I don't get a whiff that he's really got feelings for her. I think he enjoys sex with her as well as using it to keep her blind to his real feelings/intentions (not that Ruval knows that her eyes are open to him now, but early in the season, Desna was definitely blinded by all that sex with him). 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I'm getting tired of seeing Desna in those tacky jumpsuits with the exploding boobs, and the one she tried on for the wedding was over the top atrocious. 

I'm tired of seeing her bra. She has some nice outfits for her figure, but she appears to not know how buttons work since her shirt is never closed. As a fellow ample bosomite, I know she can't blame the twins for that continual sartorial mishap.

7 minutes ago, mrsbagnet said:

My first thought was, "What? No foreplay, Roller? Ouch. It's no wonder she attempted to murder you and then hooked up with Ruval." Roller does not seem to know what he's doing which makes me wonder why all these ladies keep running after him. Maybe it's because Desna found someone who understands her confusion over buttons.

• Love 6
4 minutes ago, Zanne said:

My first thought was, "What? No foreplay, Roller? Ouch. It's no wonder she attempted to murder you and then hooked up with Ruval." Roller does not seem to know what he's doing which makes me wonder why all these ladies keep running after him.

Heh. Some women don't need to a lot of warm up but more importantly, it's not much different from Desna's sex scenes with Ruval or Roller with Olga or Virginia/Dean judging from past sex scenes. I think the show glosses over showing foreplay for the most part in general with everyone. And it's not like Desna was screaming in bad pain.

• Love 3
56 minutes ago, Zanne said:

My first thought was, "What? No foreplay, Roller?

If you want foreplay, hook up with Jenn or Jenn's mother. Quiet Ann might be all foreplay all of the time.

4 hours ago, Syndicate said:

Any chance that Polly's twin is still alive?

I wouldn't think so, age 13 is a little young to fake your own death. I was thinking the other way around, that Polly never had a twin sister, so she was always imaginary. The only problem seems to be that there is a photo of the two sisters together and I think that people other than Polly have seen it.

• Love 2

Polly can be a LOT to deal with, but I liked her plot with her sister, and how she found some closure. Maybe she can get some actual perspective now? Carrie Preston did a great job playing Polly and her head twin. 

Glad that Bryce and Jenn are back at it, even though Bryce is still not totally separated from the murder life. Although, Bryce stabbing a guy with a flamingo pen as he bragged about eating his wife out is just so very this show. 

Also happy that Dean and Desna reconciled, and just in time for Desna`s sham of a wedding! I figured that she and Roller would get back together soon, and I was totally right. I do think Roller cares about her, in his own way, and, well, Roller has a six pack and clue what buttons are. So I guess I can see the appeal. 

Virginia and Dean was super weird to be last season, but I actually think they're probably the best, most stable couple on the show now. Virginia decorating his room was cute, and I like what they're doing with her this season. Less is more with Virginia.

• Love 8
20 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I missed the rabbi's death. How did he die?

It happened in the Jews for Jesus Worship Center and Square Dance Parlor with Bruce  and a flamingo pen.

God I loved the game Clue as a kid.

Edited by Giselle
Added "and"
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

I don't get that impression at all. I think we see the real him when he's with Zlata, his mama, or his men and I don't get a whiff that he's really got feelings for her. I think he enjoys sex with her as well as using it to keep her blind to his real feelings/intentions (not that Ruval knows that her eyes are open to him now, but early in the season, Desna was definitely blinded by all that sex with him). 

Desna was dickmatized. It happens.

• Love 5

I thought the jumpsuit was much more Desna's speed than the dress she ended up in. If anyone can wear a bananas wedding outfit, it's Desna.

Oh I didn't like the wedding dress either. Too princess-y IMO for a woman of Desna's age and overall sultry vibe. The jumpsuit might be okay for a night of clubbing or something but it was wrong for a wedding unless the ceremony was conducted in Vegas by an Elvis impersonator.

• Love 7

Sheryl Lee Ralph has the worst Haitian accent I've ever heard in life. They should have just made Ruval 1/2 Jamaican and 1/2 Haitian and let her speak in patois if they were intent on casting her as his mom. It's hard to dismiss when you're so familiar on how she should sound vs. how she actually sounds.

Did anyone catch Polly's little moment of shade to Desna on the hospital bed? She was going on about something and she said to "Desna, you'll never find someone who really loves you and I'll never...blah blah blah". I said, hold the eff up. It stood out to me because this show seems to think all Desna is worth romantically is a few quickies from Roller, and being used as a pawn in a mob war.  Eff that noise.  If freaking Uncle Daddy found his Juanda, their is hope for our Desna yet.

I didn't care about Polly's breakdown at all and it had no place in the penultimate episode. I did kind of smirk that Marnie's goodbye letter paraphrased Malcolm X's infamous quote on JFK's assassination. The chickens came home to roost for Polly instead, and probably will for Ruval, Zlata, and Uncle Daddy next week.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Sheryl Lee Ralph has the worst Haitian accent I've ever heard in life.

Hers might be bad, but not nearly as bad as Zlata's over the top Russian accent.  I cringe every time she speaks. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

I love the OTT accents. They are totally right for this OTT show.

Right, a bad Russian accent would be jarring on The Americans, but on Claws it's hysterical.  It's all about context.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Love 6
On 8/5/2018 at 7:09 PM, SimoneS said:

Bryce and Jenn not getting the loan was not a surprise.

But they're such gooooooooood people!

On 8/5/2018 at 7:38 PM, SimoneS said:

I missed the rabbi's death. How did he die?

On 8/5/2018 at 7:42 PM, mysticalflute said:

Bryce stabbed him in the neck with the pen he got from the bank.

On 8/6/2018 at 8:59 AM, Chick2Chic said:

I knew Bryce was going to flip with that "eating her sweet pussy line."

The "sweet pussy" is needed to put it in context.  How dumb do you have to be to say something like that to a crew of Dixie Mafia?

On 8/6/2018 at 1:29 PM, Zanne said:

I'm tired of seeing her bra. She has some nice outfits for her figure, but she appears to not know how buttons work since her shirt is never closed.

This seems to be just fine for Roller.  Another example of the double standard regarding boobs.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

This seems to be just fine for Roller.  Another example of the double standard regarding boobs.

I'm fine with both but I also am known to let a bra strap be shown too, especially in summer with spaghetti straps. 

5 hours ago, jhlipton said:

The "sweet pussy" is needed to put it in context.  How dumb do you have to be to say something like that to a crew of Dixie Mafia?

On 8/6/2018 at 4:29 PM, Zanne said:

I wondered if Hank had a death wish or had completely snapped at that point. Maybe he thought Bryce's strung out, quieter demeanor meant he wasn't as lethal as his brother & uncle. Obviously, Hank was wrong.  

On 8/7/2018 at 9:13 AM, Ohwell said:

Hers might be bad, but not nearly as bad as Zlata's over the top Russian accent.  I cringe every time she speaks. 

My somewhat issue with FP's Russian accent is I can still strongly hear her natural German accent mixed in so that's what makes me frown. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I wish Roller would learn how his buttons work, as well. I was replying to another poster who only mentioned Desna.

I'm reading a book that touches on this button conversation. It's called How to Invent Everything (in case you travel through time, get lost, and need to reinvent civilization) and there was a section about buttons that said, "That's multiple millennia in which humans walked around with buttons sewn on their shirts [for decoration], thinking they all looked pretty sharp, when actually they looked like big idiots who didn't even know how a button works." (emphasis the author, not me)  I literally laughed out loud thinking of this show.

• Love 1
On 8/9/2018 at 1:59 AM, Zanne said:

I'm reading a book that touches on this button conversation. It's called How to Invent Everything (in case you travel through time, get lost, and need to reinvent civilization) and there was a section about buttons that said, "That's multiple millennia in which humans walked around with buttons sewn on their shirts [for decoration], thinking they all looked pretty sharp, when actually they looked like big idiots who didn't even know how a button works." (emphasis the author, not me)  I literally laughed out loud thinking of this show.

I love this because it brings to mind how conventions have changed over the ages. Back to the French court, there were times where it was essential for men to have long curly hair (or later perruques, probably invented at a time when a king was going bald), wear high heels and "rouge" (i.e. make up - again, probably because a king needed it to look healthy enough). All things that now are thought of as fringe choices, but which were very mainstream way back then.

And back to Claws, I love its craziness. Yes, some people don't know that a shirt is supposed to be buttoned. Yes, everyone thinks crazy nails are supposed to be the norm. Yes, shit gets crazy all the time in unexpected ways, and that's what I love about it. Shows that keep on surprising you (I mean, me), and in a way that's coherent with their DNA? Hell, yeah! This is one I want to go on watching. 

Edited by NutMeg
because I had written "expected" when I meant "unexpected"
  • Love 3
On 8/8/2018 at 8:26 AM, dubbel zout said:

I'd die laughing (and give a standing ovation to the writers) if it turns out Zlata is actually from, say, Iowa, and she's been faking being Russian because it was the best way to get into the business.

Is Chapter 20 in my book.

• Love 4

Enchiladas con Oxycontin.

I found it interesting that the closed-captioning said "Oxycontin," but Roller clearly said "Oxycodone." The former is a brand name; the latter the generic name for the drug. I wonder if they decided to re-dub Roller saying "oxycodone" for some reason (product placement?) but didn't re-do the closed-captioning.