Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E13: Breathe

Holmes and Watson investigate the poisoning of a relocation expert and discover the man led a decades-long secret career as a contract killer before his death. Watson's path to adopting a child suffers a setback as she prepares for a home visit from her agency case worker.

It is kind of weird to have a Sherlock Holmes TV Series where you as the viewer don't get to use your brain to try to figure out what's going on based on the clues. I pretty much just turn my brain off and use enough of it to realize if the train has jumped the tracks with their latest revelations.

It would have been a better story if Holmes had found the research on the new drug for cystic fibrosis and used that as leverage to make sure that the company lowered all their predatory drug prices.

Still not interested in Joan and her baby blues.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Yeah, but this episode's baby blues plot point was at least unique and in keeping with the plot structures and tone of the series.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I haven't been into it but there was something in the conversation with Joan and Sherlock last night that made me think maybe? It will bring about a change in dynamics and I think we might be due for that sort of thing. In the books, Watson marries and that changes things. This might be how the show is interpreting that? I still don't love it because then you have to write around a kid in a way that you don't really have to write around an adult but I think that the writers wanted to have that dynamic shift and Lui suggested adoption specifically because of her own experience and there we are. Like I said, I hit a "maybe?" yesterday but I doubt I'll grow much warmer on the idea unless the writers just knock it out of the park.

• Love 7

We finally got to see the King of Bohemia!  It's interesting that they saved that for what they thought (for a while) would be the last episode.  The case was boring, but the appearance of the King made it worth a watch.

• Love 8

Joan's awkward little curtsy/bow to the king and her total WTF look to Sherlock made that scene.

And damn if all the little Joan/ Sherlock moments related to it have made me warm to the baby idea just a little bit. "Uncle Detective"...

• Love 23

Same here. I'm kind of coming around on the kid issue because of the way Sherlock and Joan are handling it. The recent scenes are a great payoff to the years of their love and respect for each other and that I'm happy to see more of. 

• Love 12
(edited)

Morland will nefariously get control of the cheaper Cystic Fibrosis medicine and gouge accordingly..... and move production to Bohemia

Edited by paigow

Joan should start looking for good sitters. She may not have a 9-5 job, but she does get called at crimes scenes at wee hours and pulls a lot of all nighters.

Also LOL at making the brownstone baby proof; that place is hardly adult proof. :D

• Love 12
Just now, minamurray78 said:

Joan should start looking for good sitters.

Kitty hired a "nanny" who was more Rosa Klebb than Mary Poppins... maybe that agency would be a good starting point....

• Love 4

I too found the personal scenes between Joan and Sherlock much more engaging than the case of the week. One of the things you take for granted on this show is that everyone should know Joan and Sherlock are - well, Joan and Sherlock.  So when something like what happened with Joan's lawyer happens, you think "Doesn't he know who he's dealing with? You can't just dismiss Joan that way." We know it, Joan and Sherlock know it. Doesn't everyone else? I liked when she explained the situation to Sherlock, she said "We're us. It would be simple to break into his office and find the notes." It's kind of like they are super heroes and have secret identities the general public doesn't know about.

The case of the week was just too convoluted for me, and I've been having difficulty following them more and more this season. I also found that "incubus" weapon that sucks all the air out of your lungs and kills you especially disturbing and sick.

We finally got to see the King of Bohemia!  It's interesting that they saved that for what they thought (for a while) would be the last episode.  The case was boring, but the appearance of the King made it worth a watch.

What do you mean by "finally?" Is this a character that's been mentioned before, or has he served some function in the books?

Has everyone else already noticed the crystal ball motif that runs though this show? I see so many of them sitting on the various desks of all the characters, from Gregson himself to the latest murder victim. What's up with that?

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

What do you mean by "finally?" Is this a character that's been mentioned before, or has he served some function in the books?

The hereditary king of Bohemia is in the ACD story "A Scandal in Bohemia."

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
(edited)

You know, the one thing I have dreading about this show is that the writers would decide to hookup Sherlock and Joan the way the way the writers on Moonlighting (1985-1989) did with their leads ... which ruined the relationship between Maddie Hayes (Cybill Shepherd) and David Addison (Bruce Willis). It was a great show until then.

The writers cheaply decided to make the hookup the series’ fan payoff -- with nothing left to do afterward. Heck, post-hookup it didn't look like Maddie and David even liked each other or had anything in common.

Now, watching this episode last night, I think that Elementary's writers might have decided to avoid the "hookup as the series’ fan payoff" altogether and move straight through to Joan and Sherlock having a life together as more than business partners -- which is what I would really consider as “the payoff” after watching the show for 6 seasons. I have watched Sherlock and Joan change because and for each other.

Sherlock is already on the record as stating that Joan is one of his loved ones; he’s admitted making special concessions / adaptations for Joan, he was devastated when Joan left the brownstone … and last night he comes right out to say that he would “lay down his life for her and for her child”: did everyone miss that Sherlock just made the supreme declaration of his love to Joan?

We already know Joan and Sherlock will always be brilliant detectives, but in the aftermath, if the final episodes in the series set up Sherlock and Joan as finally living up to their potential as partners and parental figures – in defiance to the deficiencies Sherlock and Joan’s experienced from their parents … wow.

And heck, they can still hookup in a mid-credits scene!!! Why not???

Edited by Jesus Garcia
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

What do adoption agencies say about pets?  I heard something about pet turtles possibly carrying salmonella. (Not a problem for adults who can remember to wash their hands after handling an animal, but a potential problem for a small child.) The house is big enough that Clyde and a child could be kept apart if necessary, but if they can keep only one I hope it's Clyde.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:

What do adoption agencies say about pets?  I heard something about pet turtles possibly carrying salmonella. (Not a problem for adults who can remember to wash their hands after handling an animal, but a potential problem for a small child.) The house is big enough that Clyde and a child could be kept apart if necessary, but if they can keep only one I hope it's Clyde.

You can keep only ONE!!!!!!!!!!!    Tortoise vs. Baby THUNDERDOME!!!!!!!!!

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

Oh, Joaquim de Almeida!  Are you ever not a bad guy?!

I kept thinking Gary was going to end up having nefarious reasons for why he was screwing over Joan's adoption, but it really was a case of him messing up the dates and just not wanting to admit it?  Sheesh, talk about a dick.  I did like them bringing in the King of Bohemia to fix things.

I'm at the point where I think the adoption won't work simply because the producers won't want to have to change the Gravestone set too much.  I say this with respect, but that place could serve as a location for a future Home Alone film, if a case ever arrises!

• Love 1
(edited)

Another strong show this week, I thought.  Unfortunately, the Elementary twitter spoiled the ending for me. Good thing I've always watched for the interactions of the characters and not the cases.  That said, I thought the case was interesting and not that hard to follow.  

I think I'm one of the few that has never had a problem with the baby storyline.  Do I want it to take over the show?  No. However, if they keep giving me scenes like that last one between Sherlock and Joan, I'm going to sit back, trust the writers, and enjoy.

It will always piss me off that this show doesn't get the recognition/attention it deserves.

Edited by lb60
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, lb60 said:

I think I'm one of the few that has never had a problem with the baby storyline.  Do I want it to take over the show?  No. However, if they keep giving me scenes like that last one between Sherlock and Joan, I'm going to sit back, trust the writers, and enjoy.

It will always piss me off that this show doesn't get the recognition/attention it deserves.

I'm right there with you on both of these points.  However, I don't think a baby would take over the show.  Maybe Ms Hudson could come back and be housekeeper AND nanny (I loved that character).  On the other hand, maybe Joan would adopt an older child who needed a family.  It would be fun to watch an older child/teen start learning the skills of the trade.

It's always so interesting to me what shows/individuals are nominated for Emmys and then all the lists that come out that "identify" shows that have been overlooked.  Usually the shows I consistently watch are left off of both lists; but the high level of acting on many of the shows that are ignored is just astounding to me.  I think all of the actors on Elementary are excellent and overlooked.

• Love 12
(edited)
14 hours ago, lb60 said:

Another strong show this week, I thought.  Unfortunately, the Elementary twitter spoiled the ending for me. Good thing I've always watched for the interactions of the characters and not the cases.  That said, I thought the case was interesting and not that hard to follow.  

You are one of the few people that comment on here I agree with. 

1. I welcome the baby for it will add a new dimension to the show and the relationship of Sherlock and Joan.

2. With 5 seasons (I have the DVD's for the first 5 season that I have now watched twice) and now the 6th and there have been very few shows and the various cases but this is one I enjoyed. I want to be entertained and this show does it for me.

3. And like you I'm constantly amazed this show is not more popular. I guess American TV viewers are more interested in mind numbing fluff than a show that has some good writing and character development.

Edited by CaptainCranky
  • Love 3

I really liked the case this week and found it less complex than the recent ones, but still interesting. I liked the use of the victim trying to frame a bad guy. Even the FBI guest star was useful and not corrupt. 

I have been at best indifferent to the baby plotline, but I am really starting to warm up to it. Sherlock and Joan really care about each other. Even though Sherlock is the one being more verbal lately about how much Joan's happiness means to him, Joan considers Sherlock and the brownstone home. I love the support they have for each other and it's one of the best platonic love stories on television. I love the unconventionality of them living together with a child, but that child would be loved, amazing and would have Sherlock as a father figure. He may not be a parent, but Sherlock will be important to that lucky child's development. 

It's really annoying how underappreciated this show is. I had a very bad day at work and on my commute, I was looking forward to catching up with this episode. It was a balm and a good way to end my day. I like that I don't have to think too much and the character aspects are so cozy and comforting.

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Has everyone else already noticed the crystal ball motif that runs though this show? I see so many of them sitting on the various desks of all the characters, from Gregson himself to the latest murder victim. What's up with that?

In the opening credits, the metaphor of the crystal ball = Sherlock (and by extension Joan). They are the detectives that process the evidence and eventually capture the criminal (the mouse). 

• Love 6

I enjoyed this one.  I must admit they are putting quite a bit of thought into the child story line.  I appreciate that there are some obstacles to the process and that adoption is not just magically happening.  Sherlock cleaning the 'viscera' out of the model house was amusing, and so was his concern that a child raised around detectives would easily defeat child safety locks.

Two things struck me during the hitman plot, one random, and one morbid.  First, it would be odd to have that many weapons hidden in a cabinet that had a pickable lock.  Second, gallows humor demands that the suffocation device be called a succubus, not an incubus.

3 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

Maybe Ms Hudson could come back and be housekeeper AND nanny (I loved that character).

That's a thought.

8 hours ago, Driad said:
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The hereditary king of Bohemia is in the ACD story "A Scandal in Bohemia."

It's the first Holmes short story, so very early in the canon.  It's the Irene Adler story.

• Love 4

I loved Sherlock's point that any child raised in their home would easily circumvent "child-proof" devices.

Plus, "Show and Tell" will be an absolute blast for the kids and utterly terrifying for their teacher.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Athena said:

I have been at best indifferent to the baby plotline, but I am really starting to warm up to it. Sherlock and Joan really care about each other. Even though Sherlock is the one being more verbal lately about how much Joan's happiness means to him, Joan considers Sherlock and the brownstone home. I love the support they have for each other and it's one of the best platonic love stories on television. I love the unconventionality of them living together with a child, but that child would be loved, amazing and would have Sherlock as a father figure. He may not be a parent, but Sherlock will be important to that lucky child's development. 

I did like the relationship aspect illustrated in this episode but I hate it for a few reasons.  It was introduced on what they assumed was their last season and it feels like they just decided Joan should have a baby even though it had never been a thing and decided she as the less damaged of the two should get a great reward ie a baby or a wedding.

Two with both their skill sets and the great need for older adoptions I wish the entire focus wouldn’t a baby rather than even a slightly older child. I think it might end up there given her age, living circumstances and occupation but it just seems weird that babies are the only thing currently on the table.

Three if they go through with it every episode of next season that does not expressly say where the child is is going to get commented on again and again and that’s going to be really annoying.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, johntfs said:

Plus, "Show and Tell" will be an absolute blast for the kids and utterly terrifying for their teacher.

[Interior: NYC Classroom]

Young Watson: "Uncle Detective says this is an incubus.. I need a volunteer to illustrate how it works...."

Edited by paigow
  • Love 6

In the opening credits, the metaphor of the crystal ball = Sherlock (and by extension Joan). They are the detectives that process the evidence and eventually capture the criminal (the mouse). 

Yeah that I realize - in fact one of my favorite things about this show is the opening title sequence. And I've noticed the crystal ball on Gregson's desk before. But it's only just now I'm noticing it popping up on other sets, on other desks, etc. Seems to be more than coincidence.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Yeah that I realize - in fact one of my favorite things about this show is the opening title sequence. And I've noticed the crystal ball on Gregson's desk before. But it's only just now I'm noticing it popping up on other sets, on other desks, etc. Seems to be more than coincidence.

I never noticed any crystal balls on the show until reading these posts.

• Love 2

I'm sure it isn't. Set designers/dressers love little signatures like that.. Psych famously had its pineapples. Other shows have similar little touches. Just a little inside joke/nod for themselves. Very often, in many shows, when you see a family photo/photo of a loved one on a desk, most of the time, whoever is in that photo has some signifigence to the actor or set designer.

• Love 1

Anyone a fan of Paul Anthony Stewart? He played Joan's lawyer Gary. I have loved him since he was on the soap Loving in the early '90's (think he was on Guiding Light too). I was so excited to see his name pop up as top-billed in the credits - then see him as Joan's lawyer, a potentially recurring character! - only to see it all shot to hell, haha. Gary just had to be shady!

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, Moxie Cat said:

Anyone a fan of Paul Anthony Stewart? He played Joan's lawyer Gary. I have loved him since he was on the soap Loving in the early '90's (think he was on Guiding Light too). I was so excited to see his name pop up as top-billed in the credits - then see him as Joan's lawyer, a potentially recurring character! - only to see it all shot to hell, haha. Gary just had to be shady!

Yes he was on Guiding Light he played Danny Santos! 

• Love 2

Speaking of props, at the right end of the mantel is a white thing shaped like a helmet but much bigger.  Does anyone know what that is?  Coral?

Most shows are too badly written to handle the addition of a child, but maybe this one could.  I will avoid kicking and screaming about a child if (1) we rarely see until it talks well enough to help with cases, and (2) they hire Ms. Hudson as a full time nanny and we do see her sometimes.

• Love 2
On 7/30/2018 at 10:28 PM, AnimeMania said:

It is kind of weird to have a Sherlock Holmes TV Series where you as the viewer don't get to use your brain to try to figure out what's going on based on the clues. I pretty much just turn my brain off and use enough of it to realize if the train has jumped the tracks with their latest revelations.

Yeah, the convoluted plots and twists are almost impossible to follow sometimes. I mean, if I look at my phone once during the show, I'm probably lost from there on. Every other scene seems to jump to a different track.

IMO, though, the books aren't much different... only Sherlock could solve those crimes, as the vital clues are only given once he comments on them ("I know by the dirt on his shoe that this man has traveled to North Whatever" or "By the scratches on the watch fob I know this man's brother is an alcoholic"). There's no way for the reader to be a step ahead of Holmes.

• Love 3

Speaking of props, at the right end of the mantel is a white thing shaped like a helmet but much bigger.  Does anyone know what that is?  Coral?

There's a bust of a head that's divided up to show the various sections of the brain, if that's what you mean. I was going to ask about that as well because it has a plaque on it that's confusing - can't remember what it says now though.

I think the writers are going to find themselves in a pickle regarding the baby because I'm certain that was meant to be a series ending occurrence for Joan, not something the writers ever expected to have to incorporate into their stories. What's she going to be doing with a baby next season while she's out solving cases? She's probably going to have to do a lot more work from home and get lots of sitters. But I'm willing to bet the writers wish they hadn't added that plot point once they learned they had another season to write.

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

There's a bust of a head that's divided up to show the various sections of the brain, if that's what you mean. I was going to ask about that as well because it has a plaque on it that's confusing - can't remember what it says now though.

I think the writers are going to find themselves in a pickle regarding the baby because I'm certain that was meant to be a series ending occurrence for Joan, not something the writers ever expected to have to incorporate into their stories. What's she going to be doing with a baby next season while she's out solving cases? She's probably going to have to do a lot more work from home and get lots of sitters. But I'm willing to bet the writers wish they hadn't added that plot point once they learned they had another season to write.

Are childminders who mind others' children from their own home not a thing in the US? They're often used instead of a daycare, or secondary to daycare (for example when a child has a fever and isn't allowed in daycare but parents still have to work) in my country. The childminders are often stay-at-home folks or at least home during regular working hours and children can be brought to them in the morning (and sometimes they'll bring them to school if the parent has to work before school opens) and/or after school. Sometimes those childminders also have kids of their own, sometimes they don't. Anyway, my point is that such childminders are often easy to "use" when something unexpected pops up, like cases for Joan.

• Love 2

I wonder if they'll handle the adoption by having Joan adopt an older child instead.  It would certainly be a non-typical adoption situation and non-typical is right up this show's alley.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Driad said:

I've wanted to know what that thing is since the first season!   Sometimes, it's lit up so my guess is it's just some kind of weird shaped lamp, but it does kind of look like a piece of coral or a giant seashell. 

• Love 2

image.png.ecb2b35ed2046a313897f99a931c5b7c.pngDo you mean this? The big white thing is a paper lamp, made by NY artist Christopher Reiter. The other piece is a phrenology skull that was featured in a few episides and that Sherlock has named Angus

• Love 6
3 hours ago, AEMom said:

I wonder if they'll handle the adoption by having Joan adopt an older child instead.  It would certainly be a non-typical adoption situation and non-typical is right up this show's alley.

I also think an older kid who's smart but maybe neglected by the system would be the ideal situation. A kid whom Sherlock could feel it was worth to mentor. As long as they cast a likable and not annoying little actor.

That said, I have a bad feeling this season may end up with a baby and the writers will have to work around it. Maybe after the show was renewed, they had a chance to rewrite the original season ending - not impossible.

• Love 3

I hadn't though about an older child.  It would take a really good child actor to make it work, but it's possible.

5 hours ago, Efzee said:

Are childminders who mind others' children from their own home not a thing in the US?

They are a thing.  Joan could go this route, if she knows of someone offering this service and approves of them.  She would have to have a pretty good relationship with the home daycare provider, or pay a lot, in order to drop off a child at strange hours.

• Love 1

I got lost about exactly what the scam was that gave them evidence to arrest Medina for the contracted killing of the researcher with the cheaper treatment. I did think it was an interesting twist, the assassin with a heart of gold. Of course, he never would have cared if it wasn't his own kid that was being effected.

Canon Watson got married but ACD killed off both his wives and moved him back to Baker Street, so nothing really changed.

15 minutes ago, Vermicious Knid said:

Of course, he never would have cared if it wasn't his own kid that was being effected.

I think it's more that he wouldn't have gone as far as he did.  I mean, I greatly disapproved of Martin Shkreli raising the price of Daraprim to 56 times its former value, but I admit that it did not occur to me to kill myself and then frame him for my own murder.

• Love 6

I think it's more that he wouldn't have gone as far as he did.  I mean, I greatly disapproved of Martin Shkreli raising the price of Daraprim to 56 times its former value, but I admit that it did not occur to me to kill myself and then frame him for my own murder.

I'd have to watch again,  but didn't the hitman know his days (at least as a free man) were over? That the hammer was about to come down? I think the idea was that he felt that dying, as long as he could exact his revenge in the process, was better than dying in prison.

Now, why he chose cyanide, which is, as Watson said, an unpleasant death?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, basil said:

Now, why he chose cyanide, which is, as Watson said, an unpleasant death?

Because that would make detectives/investigators think it unlikely he killed himself.

• Love 1

Apologies, Efzee. It was a rhetorical question. I left off the emoticon ;) Cyanide is painful but quick and effective. A hitman would know that - though of course, a hitman would also know that it would be easy to discover, and thus, since he was known to be a hitman, it would be inconceivable that he would drink even a sweet wine tainted with cyanide, given its distinct odor (I know, I know, it does not always give off a scent, and not everyone can detect it). But now we're down The Princess Bride rabbithole ;)

In other news, while I do enjoy the discussions between Sherlock and Watson, I am profoundly in the anti-child on the show camp.

Also, is Holmes magically cured now? Did I miss something?

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, basil said:

Also, is Holmes magically cured now? Did I miss something?

When he went away to Vermont for a few months to rest, he was able to fully recover.