Type keyword(s) to search

Trial & Error - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Josh and the M-Towne podcaster make a cute couple. Jayma’s character is so unlikeable, I’d rather he get with her. 

If you can manage to pause the scene when Duane is giving his Peck history lesson, read the posters on the wall behind him. Very funny. 

• Love 2

Any chance of the judge being replaced somewhere down the line? Because I thought he was the worst thing about the two episodes so far.  I liked last season's judge alot better than the current one.  She might have had her humorous moments here and there but she was also grounded enough to keep things from veering off course in the courtroom as well.

• Love 3
(edited)

In case you missed it, the East Peck Gazette "Pecking Away since 1887" that they flashed on screen with the Flatch: "We Have No Chance in Hell" headline, had two other stories that were worth catching that were so very East Peck.

Multiple Injuries During Charity Cannonball Toss - Up to 36 participants and bystanders were injured during a fundraiser for the East Peck Historical Society, a significant improvement from last year's total of 28 injured participants.

East Peck Mulls Border Wall - Town council votes on the feasibility of border wall project to protect Peckers from foreign know-it-alls.

Edited by JasmineFlower
  • Love 13
On 7/20/2018 at 11:01 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

I watched this last night. Hilarious.

From reading here, there was a first season?

Well yes... all those flashbacks they showed? Those were from season 1. 

I am so glad these Peckers are back! Loving the season so far, but I’ll admit I did miss Jon Lithgow and his daughter. I was hoping they’de make a cameo. 

Hmmm I knew immediately that last season they were parodying The Staircase, but Im not getting a Jinx vibe here. Wouldn’t she also need an ex-husband who mysteriously went “missing” many years ago? And her current spouse would be alive but “living elsewhere.”

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

Wouldn’t she also need an ex-husband who mysteriously went “missing” many years ago? And her current spouse would be alive but “living elsewhere.”

Yeah I think this might be more of a hybrid than last season even though the obvious Serial tie in could result in a Jinx like twist.

• Love 4

I was wondering why no one was posting about the show, only to realize that I posted in the wrong thread. D'oh!

I loved how the newspaper, during Dwayne's history lesson, said "Women overcome cycle." It's nice to know that women can drive freely in East Peck and that they're not judged by women.

When I watched the preview, I thought it would be funny if Josh's client was actually guilty but since she's famous and he doesn't want to be run out of town, he had to work on making her innocent. Now it looks like she's so guilty that she's probably innocent of everything. Except being a vampire. That is most likely.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:56 PM, SmithW6079 said:

He's developing a crush on Lavinia (and she seems to be coming on to him), and his still sleeping with Carol Anne...a very pregnant Carol Anne.

I didn't really see this. It feels more like he wants to protect her, since she's a lonely woman who endured a lot of unexplained deaths in her life. I think he just wants to be her friend more than anything else.

• Love 9

Has anyone listened to the podcast and is it really worth listening to? I have an irrational hatred of podcasts, but I will break down if it's really good. 

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, cleo said:

Has anyone listened to the podcast and is it really worth listening to? I have an irrational hatred of podcasts, but I will break down if it's really good. 

I enjoyed it but I like podcasts, it’s short but provides extra interviews and a little more details about some things discussed in the episode.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, CheezyXpressed said:

When I watched the preview, I thought it would be funny if Josh's client was actually guilty but since she's famous and he doesn't want to be run out of town, he had to work on making her innocent. 

Oooh, I like this idea. 

And yes, I'm all for supporting the vampire theory :p. 

I didn't really see this. It feels more like he wants to protect her, since she's a lonely woman who endured a lot of unexplained deaths in her life. I think he just wants to be her friend more than anything else.

Exactly. He just really cares about his clients :). 

• Love 1

Whose Podcast?

I hope they keep up the running joke of using "Reed" in place of "shit." Like Carole Ann saying "That's a load of horse reed."

• Love 4

This show is so ridiculously ridiculous. Love it and I’m a huge Kristin Chenoweth fan so when I saw her I just laughed cause one thing she can definitely do is play over the top. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, cleo said:

The first one gave more background into last season's case which raises new suspicions.  But as someone who likes podcasts if they're good, I found my mind drifting. 

For those who want a funny true (fake) crime podcast, The Onion's A Very Fatal Murder is hilarious.

• Love 1

Welcome back, Peckers (that will never not be funny!)!

I finally got to see the first two episodes!  I laughed a lot, but I didn't enjoy them as much as the first two episodes of season 1.  I hate the way they are writing the judge (it's already old) and I was sick of Anne's conditions part way through last season.  The first two in this season are stupid.  She's funny enough without them. 

Having said that, though, I'll keep watching because the rest of the cast makes up for it.  Hopefully, it will keep getting stronger. 

I wasn't paying attention to the details, but I'll start doing that--sounds like I missed a lot.

• Love 4

I actually thought the judge was pretty funny, so I guess I'm in the minority. I also look forward to all of Anne's syndromes. I laughed when Lavinia was lighting her cigarette off of Anne's arm. 

• Love 11

So yeah I tried the podcast and meh, though I did like hearing about Larry and Carol Anne's campaign slogan- Yes we Keane!

I'm not really a shipper, but I'm shipping Josh and Carol Anne. I'm afraid the podcast narrator will interfere. I don't see Lavinia as a threat, mainly bc I find her incredibly unlikable. It's really disconcerting to listen to people say how much she is loved when every second she's on screen my reaction is- what an awful person and I would never want to spend 2 minutes with her. 

31 minutes ago, incandescent said:

The sing-songy flag waving Laaady Driiiveeer made me laugh harder than I have in ages.

This was the one thing that irritated me, but I was in hysterics with Dwayne shooting himself with his gun even though I saw it coming a mile away. Same with Anne's jump, the first one.

Love this show. 

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I was in hysterics with Dwayne shooting himself with his gun even though I saw it coming a mile away.

That bit reminded me of Barney Fife accidentally firing his gun :p. At least he never shot himself...

I also loved Dwayne looking at that thing with the date and year (in Roman numerals) on it and reading it as though it were a person's actual name. "What are you hiding, July V, MDCCXIV?" 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 6

I listened to the first podcast this morning and I thought it was really good! I was chuckling through the whole thing. In describing East Peck the podcast host says the governor of North Carolina visited East Peck back in the 1980s and was reportedly quoted as saying "When did this get here?" There's lots of fun bonus material from the characters too. Larry Henderson is reportedly living in seclusion now somewhere in the Appalachians training owls. 

• Love 9

THEY NAMED THE GOAT JOHN LITHGOW I LOVE IT :D.

Oh, man. Everything with the moose stuff, and that insurance/T-shirt place, and Carol Anne having to go to a freaking vet (I loved the little detail of her hair being all styled and the big ribbon around her neck, too :p). Hysterical. This town, I swear to god... 

3 hours ago, rhys said:

Did we know that Anne had a daughter? I sure didn't.

I don't remember mention of that, too. So far I've only had the chance to see the first season once, when it originally aired-I'd love to do a rewatch at some point, so when I get the chance to do that, I'll see if they make mention of it. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

THEY NAMED THE GOAT JOHN LITHGOW I LOVE IT :D.

Oh, man. Everything with the moose stuff, and that insurance/T-shirt place, and Carol Anne having to go to a freaking vet (I loved the little detail of her hair being all styled and the big ribbon around her neck, too :p). Hysterical. This town, I swear to god... 

I don't remember mention of that, too. So far I've only had the chance to see the first season once, when it originally aired-I'd love to do a rewatch at some point, so when I get the chance to do that, I'll see if they make mention of it. 

I wondered if it was  named John Lithgoat and I just didn't hear the soft ending. 

Yes! The detailing of her hair with the bow etc. I'd love to work on this show. 

• Love 5

I didn't even consider the idea of "Lithgoat". Either option would work perfectly :p.

8 minutes ago, rhys said:

I'd love to work on this show. 

My mom said while watching tonight, "I would be very curious to sit in among the writers for this show sometime." This would be such a fun show to work on, for sure. 

• Love 4

So much goodness in last night's episodes, but I particularly loved the continuation of the lady driver flag joke, and also Dwayne saying he was sorry he didn't have the "evidench" for the evidentiary hearing lol.  Oh and also him holding up the giant t-shirt and asking if it came in anything other than a youth size small.

I also love all of Anne's syndromes.  Her arm raising moved the plot along quite nicely lol

And a nice little touch for Josh to have a picture of Larry in his house.  Was it of the two of them in some kind of costumes?

• Love 4

Episodes three and four were a lot stronger than one and two, but that's similar to last year as well. Tough on Grime vs. I stand for justice and I stand to pee. Too funny. I also don't think I'll ever get sick of Lady Driver. Whoever came up with that idea needs to get a raise.

"I'm not sure if the baby she's carrying is mine. After last night, the next one will be."

Such a creepy, but hilarious thing to say. I also love Josh's house. It's cute and his pictures made me smile. The cannonball made me smile even more, but at least he got insurance so it's okay now.

The handwriting expert was an awesome witness. I could feel the tension.

• Love 6
(edited)

So, the real murder clock is the one on Josh's coffee table, right? Else why does the camera keep lingering on it? (Other than to show us the photo of Larry, with bunny ears.)

5b5b334c854eb_murderclock.thumb.jpg.9c939003281334f19c5510ff11ff71b8.jpg

Edited by Corgi-ears
  • Love 6
(edited)

Ooh, yeah, I'll go with that. He's apparently renting the place from a little old lady...perhaps that lady has something to do with the murder? 

I love the house, too. Even with the risk of incoming cannonballs. 

1 hour ago, Seelouis said:

I fell out laughing at “why is your first instinct to shoot the bomb room?  Training”. Very few shows make me laugh out loud repeatedly like this one. 

The line delivery alone made that bit hilarious. I also cracked up at Josh saying, "Dwayne, I think you installed the two-way mirror wrong.". 

Other entertaining bits: the whole Ebay and PayPal thing, and Josh apparently having handwriting similar to that of a 14 year old girl :p. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 4

Ooh, yeah, I'll go with that. He's apparently renting the place from a little old lady...perhaps that lady has something to do with the murder? 

No, Nina assumed Josh was renting from a little old lady because of all the little nick nacks but they were actually Josh's - he had a pillow with his name embroidered on it and he turned it around so she wouldn't see it and let her think all that stuff belonged to some little old lady.

And no, that can't be the murder clock because the hands are too big. That's how they identified the murder clock, by the ornate hands, which were about half that size since they fit on Edgar's forehead.

I don't think I've ever laughed so hard as when they cut to Carol Ann with her hair done up in a top knot like a Shih Tzu. I actually had to stop the recording for a minute I was laughing so hard. And I didn't even get it at first - I wondered why her hair was fixed that way then she said she got a shampoo. The whole bit at the vet's office was hysterical, with the vet tech saying "Let's get you weighed" and then she had to get up on the doggie scale. OMG. 

Loved the bit with the exploding gun in the microwave, then Dwayne pulls a burrito out of his holster. 

Also love they're continuing the bit about the cannon firing every 12 hours. 

And there's a South Peck? LOL. I'm assuming it's nowhere south of North Peck.

• Love 12
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

No, Nina assumed Josh was renting from a little old lady because of all the little nick nacks but they were actually Josh's - he had a pillow with his name embroidered on it and he turned it around so she wouldn't see it and let her think all that stuff belonged to some little old lady.

And no, that can't be the murder clock because the hands are too big. That's how they identified the murder clock, by the ornate hands, which were about half that size since they fit on Edgar's forehead.

Ah, I must've missed that part-my sister called kinda around that time, so I got briefly distracted by that. Thanks for the clarification. 

And there's a South Peck? LOL. I'm assuming it's nowhere south of North Peck.

I joked that that would be the one town that would actually wind up living up to its name :p. But yeah, I think you're right that it'll be in some really weird spot on the map. 

• Love 1
(edited)

OMG, so much funny stuff in these two episodes. As others have said, I loved John Lithgoat. and Carol Ann being weighed on the doggie scale. Other highlites for me were Dwight and Anne with the bags of swag from Lavinia's gift wrapping room (ala Candy Spelling), and Josh with the catchy phrase as to why Lavinia must be found not guilty, echoing Johnny Cochrane's "if it doesn't fit you must acquit". I always have to watch each episode twice because there is just so much that can be missed the first time around! 

They have made Josh a little sillier this year than I would prefer. I didn't think the scene in front of the ladies washroom was funny at all. But overall I think it is close to being as funny as last season. 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 3
12 hours ago, GaT said:

I don't think this year is as good as last year, they seem to be trying too hard to be quirky so it feels forced.

I don't think it's as good this year either but for me the difference is Lithgow (delightfully absurd and charming) vs Chenoweth (spoiled and abrasive).  I wanted him to be innocent, I don't care in the slightest about her,  I'm watching for everyone else.   My .02 from what I've seen so far.  Sadly at this point I don't expect that there will be a season three.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, snarkylady said:

I don't think it's as good this year either but for me the difference is Lithgow (delightfully absurd and charming) vs Chenoweth (spoiled and abrasive).  I wanted him to be innocent, I don't care in the slightest about her,  I'm watching for everyone else.   My .02 from what I've seen so far.  Sadly at this point I don't expect that there will be a season three.

Yes, Lithgow was just clueless about everything but completely harmless, but Chenoweth is obviously calculating & abrasive & too over the top. Also, last year when Anne had the disease that made her forget faces, it was funny, this year she's gotten a new weird disease every week. The joke is done, they've run it into the ground.

• Love 5
(edited)

They kept panning to Josh's clock because it was 5:00 (cannonball time).  That's the only reason I saw.

Handwriting analysis was hilarious.  14 year old girl!

The town has two calendars printed, one if Mickey sees his breath, one if not.  ?

"Lady Driver!" is still funny.

I love this show.  So glad they brought it back.  If they can figure out how to do umteen seasons of Murder She Wrote, they can keep this going for a little while, for me.

Edited by Destiny74
  • Love 9
14 hours ago, BindsTheTuna said:

I didn't watch Season 1, so forgive me, but is Carol Ann sounding like Nancy Grace supposed to be a quirk, or is it just me?

I was watching "Wings" the other night and to me, she kinda sounds like Helen from that show :p. She did talk like that in the first season, too, from what I can recall, but I read somewhere that Mays is from Tennessee, so maybe that's more just her natural accent coming through for the most part? I dunno. 

Regarding Lavinia's behavior compared to Larry's, I rather like that difference, myself. I definitely get where she's harder to root for among some viewers, but I think it's interesting to see how the team tries to defend somebody who is much more abrasive and is knowingly doing things that, if she were anyone else, she wouldn't be able to get away with. Plus, her abrasiveness has me genuinely curious about her guilt or innocence. If she does wind up actually being guilty of her husband's murder, I'd be interested to see how the team would deal with that. Same with Carol Anne. How would getting a win affect her going forward? 

8 hours ago, Destiny74 said:

I love this show.  So glad they brought it back.  If they can figure out how to do umteen seasons of Murder She Wrote, they can keep this going for a little while, for me.

Same. I love these characters, so I'll happily keep watching for however much longer it lasts :). 

• Love 4