Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E20 Lupe & Brittani 2018.07.18

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, notyrmomma said:

I was somewhat disappointed when Dr. Now was blaming the size of Brittney's legs on her diet.  Lets say it was because she was eating like crap, what bad foods is she eating to make her look anorexic waist up and obese waist down?  I was hoping he would address the reality of lipedema, which is a very misunderstood, but relatively common,  disorder (here's one site that discusses it: http://advancedlipedematreatment.com/understanding-lipedema/).  What she needs is water jet assisted liposuction and it's expensive and not covered by insurance.

I am in the same boat as Brittney - I got WLS 4 years ago (starting weight 318) and now I am size 4 above the waist and you can see my whole ribcage, but I am a size 10 below the waist and I look like a freak in shorts (as an aside, I got a mammogram yesterday (hadn't been in 3 yrs, oops) and they told me that I had absolutely no fat left in my breasts, as compared to my last mamo,  it's all just dense tissue).  I'm just so stinking sick and tired of people telling me to diet and work my legs out more because it just doesn't work - losing more weight just makes my upper half look more anorexic.  

I notice this kind of poor advice, or at least inconsistent advice, pretty regularly from Dr Now. One day he praises someone who is 350 lbs and approves her for skin surgery and the next day he’s belittling Brittani for her weight in her legs  when clearly the problem isn’t going to be fully solved by weight loss. That should be obvious from her upper body. I’m hoping this kind of inconsistency is a function of editing and messing with the timeline. I doubt Dr Now is incompetent so if it isn’t editing it seems like it’s either favoritism or advice and recommendations made to further or enhance storylines. 

• Love 4

Just watched and had to come on down!  I loved Britanni from the get go.  I'm kind of surprised how tatted up she is to me, she doesn't seem the type, but rooting for her.  Also surprised that Bill is still so big.  He seems so supportive so would have thought he would have gotten with the diet too.  Guess not.

Lupe, oh Lupe.  She's the first 600#er that has such a neck.  But as much as I don't care for her I feel for her with that now deformed hip.  It must be incredibly painful.  And that's all I'm going to say about "the scale must be wrong" Lupe.  

• Love 3

I can’t help wondering if Dr. Now DID talk to Bill about his weight, but it didn’t fit into the adorable, uplifting story the editors had crafted for he and Brittani. And thus was never shown. It seems unlikely that the elephant in the room was ignored for 3 years.

1 hour ago, Otter said:

Just watched and had to come on down!  I loved Britanni from the get go.  I'm kind of surprised how tatted up she is to me, she doesn't seem the type, but rooting for her.  Also surprised that Bill is still so big.  He seems so supportive so would have thought he would have gotten with the diet too.  Guess not.

Lupe, oh Lupe.  She's the first 600#er that has such a neck.  But as much as I don't care for her I feel for her with that now deformed hip.  It must be incredibly painful.  And that's all I'm going to say about "the scale must be wrong" Lupe.  

I can’t think of any 600 pounder that didn’t have tattoos (maybe... maybe Diana or Janine). Perhaps they get ink with the idea it will draw people’s attention away from their weight?

• Love 3
49 minutes ago, Wanda said:

I can’t think of any 600 pounder that didn’t have tattoos (maybe... maybe Diana or Janine). Perhaps they get ink with the idea it will draw people’s attention away from their weight?

There does seem to be a majority with tattoos. What strikes me also is that we don’t see a lot of alcohol. For people often with painful back stories and addictive personalities I would expect a large amount of alcohol consumption along with the food - at least a lot of beer if not other kinds. Do you think there is a lot of drinking and they just don’t show it on TV or is there something about being 600 lbs that puts all the focus on just food?

• Love 3
(edited)
22 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

There does seem to be a majority with tattoos. What strikes me also is that we don’t see a lot of alcohol. For people often with painful back stories and addictive personalities I would expect a large amount of alcohol consumption along with the food - at least a lot of beer if not other kinds. Do you think there is a lot of drinking and they just don’t show it on TV or is there something about being 600 lbs that puts all the focus on just food?

Weight affects blood alcohol level (someone who is 180 pounds will have a lower BAC than a 140-lb person who drinks the same amount), so the heavier you are, the more you can drink before you start to feel it. By the time you get to 600+ pounds maybe alcohol just doesn't do much for you?

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

They have extremely limited funds for consumables. Their priorities are food and carbonated beverages which seem to be what they started using as children to fill whatever caused their emptiness. My guess would be there's little money left for alcohol. And whatever there is, goes to the enabler a la Gilbert.

• Love 4

I thought they looked new - post-weight loss. They were pretty bright and seemed to not be stretched out at all. Did she have them in the original episode?

5 hours ago, Wanda said:

I can never remember anyone's name, but there was a woman who when she was bigger, was dying her hair pink and then green (or vice-versa), but I noticed after she lost the weight, that she stopped doing that.  I'm guessing she had been dying it for the same reason, to (supposedly) distract from her weight.  I also recall from What Not to Wear, that there were people who had gained weight, and were wearing crazy clothes and had crazy hair in an effort to have people focus on their outlandishness so that no one would see the real them.

• Love 3

Pounders, What do we do? We avoid discussing how money is being snatched from the public's wallet for the participants unless it’s specifically revealed on the show. Anything else is pure speculation not to mention also a slippery slope toward talking politics. 

9 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

I can never remember anyone's name, but there was a woman who when she was bigger, was dying her hair pink and then green (or vice-versa), but I noticed after she lost the weight, that she stopped doing that.  I'm guessing she had been dying it for the same reason, to (supposedly) distract from her weight.  I also recall from What Not to Wear, that there were people who had gained weight, and were wearing crazy clothes and had crazy hair in an effort to have people focus on their outlandishness so that no one would see the real them.

I think that was Paula. She had green and purple and red...even after she lost weight she had some funky hairstyles (which I thought suited her personality) but yeah, she did seem to tone down the color quite a bit.

Lupe for sure has some denial issues, but I didn't understand how Dr. Now was suggesting that she could lose 40 lbs in a month to get her hip surgery when she weighed around 240.  I understand that there are some freaky weight loss totals on this show, but that does not seem realistic.  At my highest life weight, which wasn't that far from 240, I could maaaaybe have lost 10 lbs in a month through really strict dieting and a lot of exercise.  I'm not sure I could have lost 40 lbs in a month if I'd eaten no food at all for 30 days.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, Rancide said:

Lupe for sure has some denial issues, but I didn't understand how Dr. Now was suggesting that she could lose 40 lbs in a month to get her hip surgery when she weighed around 240.  I understand that there are some freaky weight loss totals on this show, but that does not seem realistic.  At my highest life weight, which wasn't that far from 240, I could maaaaybe have lost 10 lbs in a month through really strict dieting and a lot of exercise.  I'm not sure I could have lost 40 lbs in a month if I'd eaten no food at all for 30 days.

I felt the same way. That really bugged me. Now granted, we don’t see everything and it’s pretty clear she’s satisfied with being in a wheelchair and using Gilbert 2 as a caretaker, but I didn’t understand Dr Now’s flippant attitude toward her need for hip surgery. In the same episode he’s telling Brittani he’s worried about her having leg surgery because she will have limited mobility during recovery which is a sure path to gaining again, but at the same time he’s telling Lupe she has to lose more weight and quickly when clearly the hip is making mobility impossible. I know they sent her to another doctor about the hip but I don’t think she would contradict Dr Now so it was just for show. They fix hips on overweight people all the time. If we are talking about quality of life, fixing that hip will give her much more improvement than losing another 30–40 lbs. 

Just to be clear - I am not defending Lupe’s decision to eat chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese or her taking up with Gilbert 2. She’s going to gain her weight back. But let’s face it. 95% of these people do. Why not fix that hip while it’s doable.  

• Love 11
35 minutes ago, Rancide said:

She's not going to do well in California. She needed to lose the weight and get the hip surgery so she could be mobile again. Without mobility she doesn't have a prayer of keeping that weight off. Very sad.

She was rolling around that kitchen talking like she knew best but her best thinking got her comatose and then bedridden.

I heard she took her ex-husband back, but I really hope that's not true!!!!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 3girlsforus said:

I felt the same way. That really bugged me. Now granted, we don’t see everything and it’s pretty clear she’s satisfied with being in a wheelchair and using Gilbert 2 as a caretaker, but I didn’t understand Dr Now’s flippant attitude toward her need for hip surgery. In the same episode he’s telling Brittani he’s worried about her having leg surgery because she will have limited mobility during recovery which is a sure path to gaining again, but at the same time he’s telling Lupe she has to lose more weight and quickly when clearly the hip is making mobility impossible. I know they sent her to another doctor about the hip but I don’t think she would contradict Dr Now so it was just for show. They fix hips on overweight people all the time. If we are talking about quality of life, fixing that hip will give her much more improvement than losing another 30–40 lbs. 

Just to be clear - I am not defending Lupe’s decision to eat chicken nuggets and Mac and cheese or her taking up with Gilbert 2. She’s going to gain her weight back. But let’s face it. 95% of these people do. Why not fix that hip while it’s doable.  

Thank you so much for this 3girlsforus. I totally did not understand his hardcore reasoning in this instance. As you said, this operation is done on overweight people all the time.

Also, as I said during the Live Chat, Lupe really doesn't need his referral or permission to get her hip replaced.  After that one surgeon said no I thought "Aww Hell, just find another one Lupe!" I  can't believe that there wouldn't be plenty of orthopaedic surgeons who wouldn't be overwhelmingly impressed with a woman who lost four hundred pounds. And yeah, that visit to the orthopaedic surgeon who just parroted Dr. Now was definitely a set up. Whatever type of insurance she has, they all usually cover that type of surgery. Every time I looked at her right foot stuck at a right angle, I really felt terrible for her.

I had my hip replaced several years ago and, before the operation, the pain was excruciating. I had just about no cartilage left and severe bone-on-bone pain.

Can't believe that I am defending Lupe, but I believe that she is a person with a lot of unresolved emotional issues, and because of those issues, Dr. Now coming down hard on her made no sense since he knows her background and knows she's does not exactly have a history of making sensible decisions. I think, despite her major resting bitch face and less than scintillating personality, Lupe is quite a fragile person and she needed a gentler touch.

And seriously Rancide, Dr. Now wanted her to lose 40 pounds in one "munt?"

• Love 8

Brittani's legs looked terrible, but I agree, it seemed to be a cosmetic issue rather than a mobility issue. When she isn't at the beach, she could look a lot better with a wardrobe change. She ought to try some more relaxed fit, straight-leg pants and flowy Stevie Nicks broomstick skirts. The squeezy jeans were super unflattering on her. Even choosing black leggings instead of jeans would make the bottom-heavy silhouette less noticeable.

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, IvySpice said:

Brittani's legs looked terrible, but I agree, it seemed to be a cosmetic issue rather than a mobility issue. When she isn't at the beach, she could look a lot better with a wardrobe change. She ought to try some more relaxed fit, straight-leg pants and flowy Stevie Nicks broomstick skirts. The squeezy jeans were super unflattering on her. Even choosing black leggings instead of jeans would make the bottom-heavy silhouette less noticeable.

I wonder if she wears tighter pants to keep things from moving too much as she walks.

[also: LOL at "squeezy jeans"]

Edited by ams1001
[afterthought]
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, DC Gal in VA said:

As you said, this operation is done on overweight people all the time.

I had my hip replaced several years ago and, before the operation, the pain was excruciating. I had just about no cartilage left and severe bone-on-bone pain.

Yeah. I thought maybe I was imagining things. Obviously, the better health you are in and the better your weight if you have to have surgery, the better off you are, but Lupe wasn't 600 lbs anymore. Why she is depending on Dr Now's go ahead for hip replacement, I don't know.

I've known 3 people who had hip replacement in the past 2 yrs or so. One is still very overweight and needed the replacement (she already had one) due to the wear and tear from her weight; one was average size, and the other was a  bit of the fluffy grandmother type. They all got their surgery; I don't know why Lupe can't get hers.

God help me, but when they do the hip replacement, maybe they can have a plastic surgeon in there to do her neck at the same time. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, aliya said:

Yeah. I thought maybe I was imagining things. Obviously, the better health you are in and the better your weight if you have to have surgery, the better off you are, but Lupe wasn't 600 lbs anymore. Why she is depending on Dr Now's go ahead for hip replacement, I don't know.

I've known 3 people who had hip replacement in the past 2 yrs or so. One is still very overweight and needed the replacement (she already had one) due to the wear and tear from her weight; one was average size, and the other was a  bit of the fluffy grandmother type. They all got their surgery; I don't know why Lupe can't get hers.

God help me, but when they do the hip replacement, maybe they can have a plastic surgeon in there to do her neck at the same time. 

I've thought the same thing. Time for her trademark divided chin to go!

• Love 2

Having both her hip & neck fixed would probably make a huge difference for her - the hip especially would be life changing. I can't imagine how much pain she's in & was also annoyed she was denied surgery to fix it. I do hope she works on herself though, because the way she speaks reg. her 'bf' sounded tween-ish - similar to Erica, I think it was. They both seem very emotionally stunted & craving male attention.

• Love 1
On 7/22/2018 at 12:25 PM, 3girlsforus said:

I have a female family member who needs a total hip replacement due to a car wreck years back ( arthritis , bone on bone , bone spur) She saw 2 surgeons at New York’s Hospital for Special Surgery  and weighed around 270lbs at consult - these surgeons would not operate till she lost 50-100 lbs.  My family member is trying to get down to surgery weight and for Dr Now to think Lupe could drop 40 per month is asking a lot. The weight loss slows the lower the weight numbers get.  Lupe is SO close to the finish line , maybe she likes rolling around and having these men as caretakers. 

• Love 2

I had my right hip replaced at about 260 pounds.  My surgeon felt I would be better off more mobile - and I was bone on bone.  I have since lost down to 184 pounds and will hopefully continue to lose.  I believe the surgeon did me a huge favor by restoring my mobility and I will be forever grateful to him.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Globegrl said:

I had my right hip replaced at about 260 pounds.  My surgeon felt I would be better off more mobile - and I was bone on bone.  I have since lost down to 184 pounds and will hopefully continue to lose.  I believe the surgeon did me a huge favor by restoring my mobility and I will be forever grateful to him.

That’s wonderful. Great job!!

This is exactly why I was confused about Dr Now’s insistence that she lose weight BEFORE helping her become mobile while he was saying he was worried about Brittani gaining a lot while having temporary restricted mobility while recovering from surgery. Her leg is sticking out the wrong way. She’s clearly not going to be able to be mobile that way. She’s clearly not making up her issue. 

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, 3girlsforus said:

That’s wonderful. Great job!!

This is exactly why I was confused about Dr Now’s insistence that she lose weight BEFORE helping her become mobile while he was saying he was worried about Brittani gaining a lot while having temporary restricted mobility while recovering from surgery. Her leg is sticking out the wrong way. She’s clearly not going to be able to be mobile that way. She’s clearly not making up her issue. 

Agree.  But I think Dr. Now is more concerned about their eating habit than their exercising. However, both are important, as it could even improve her emotional health when she feels free to move about without pain, which could in turn motivate her to continue following the plan.

• Love 2

I guess my whole thing with Dr. Now and Lupe's surgery is... won't she be able to move around and lose more weight when she can, y'know, walk properly without being in a metric ton of pain? I believe she does like to be doted on and everything, but I honestly feel like she'd be better off getting the surgery and then seeing what happens after the training wheels ('Oh, I can't walk because of mah hip! I need this chair!') come off, so to speak.

• Love 4

Ok, Lupe has a gofundme to raise money for an apartment for her and Andrew. They are happy to be “permanently back in Cali”, but can’t live in Andrew’s house b/c a relative broke all  the windows while they were in Texas so the place is red tagged until those are fixed (?!). AND they decided to leave Houston b/c of “envious people”. Her next follow up ought to be just SPECTACULAR 

• Love 14

I guess my whole thing with Dr. Now and Lupe's surgery is... won't she be able to move around and lose more weight when she can, y'know, walk properly without being in a metric ton of pain?

Wasn't Lupe the one who ended up on a ventilator after her bariatric surgery? I wonder if part of Dr. Now's calculus is whether she can even survive a hip replacement surgery. That may be informing his no-go decision as much as anything else.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Elizzikra said:

Wasn't Lupe the one who ended up on a ventilator after her bariatric surgery? I wonder if part of Dr. Now's calculus is whether she can even survive a hip replacement surgery. That may be informing his no-go decision as much as anything else.

I think she was. 

11 hours ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Lupe was on a ventilator prior to being on the show.  She was in a coma.  With the weight loss and the damage from the ventilator scar, she now appears to have a scrotal sac for a chin.  

I laughed so loud, I scared my dog, and the twins looked at me like wtf. I never thought of her chin like that, but you're absolutely right! 

• Love 1
On 7/21/2018 at 11:51 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Paula.  

I hope she has continued her success story.  I believe she had lost her loving husband and was trying to cope raising several children when we first met her.  Yet even through her morbid obesity,  she had a job which she worked from home scheduling moves for a moving company to provide for her children!  She was trying to be a responsible adult.  I would rather follow up on the successes rather than the gloomy people now featured.  I really have only glanced at the follow up episodes this year and last because I found most of the 2016 and 2017 people too extreme to care about.

• Love 7
On 7/25/2018 at 7:51 PM, simba barracuda said:

Ok, Lupe has a gofundme to raise money for an apartment for her and Andrew. They are happy to be “permanently back in Cali”, but can’t live in Andrew’s house b/c a relative broke all  the windows while they were in Texas so the place is red tagged until those are fixed (?!). AND they decided to leave Houston b/c of “envious people”. Her next follow up ought to be just SPECTACULAR 

There we go! I mentioned before how many of these unsuccessful 600-pounders toss up Gofundme's.  Sickens me that people will part with hard-earned money to give to these creeps who don't use the wonderful gift that is Dr Now and his program.  

Ha! I just found it.  One person has donated $5 and that's all.  She has a long rant on there and uses the God stuff in the same way as Schenee.  

If she goes back to CA, would that mean she stops being in Dr Now's program?  Would that end all future updates?  I don't see this one as ever becoming successful. She's too ready to place blame.

• Love 5

I’m gonna set me up a go fund me, nothing’s wrong, I just want to be a millionaire and working isn’t getting me there fast enough. 

Damn Lupe, I was really rooting for your ass. I really hope we get a follow up because I want to meet the person who is jealous of a woman who looks like she applies lip liner by connecting the dots and lives with a man who finds it acceptable to be seen in public with ankle length jorts. I must know about their life. 

• Love 8
On 7/26/2018 at 10:34 AM, QuinnInND said:

I laughed so loud, I scared my dog, and the twins looked at me like wtf. I never thought of her chin like that, but you're absolutely right! 

As a female, non-medical person, I rarely have the opportunity to say "scrotal sac," especially in reference to someone's face. So, when I saw it, I laughed like a 12 year old. 

• Love 7
On 7/25/2018 at 4:51 PM, simba barracuda said:

AND they decided to leave Houston b/c of “envious people”

Since when does someone being envious of you require you to leave the state. Were they murderously envious? 

Didn't she have a niece or family members helping her at some point? Maybe she feels now that she is superfly and has a hot new stud, everyone is jealous. I'm sure they are angry and exasperated with her for falling off the plan, which she would totally re-story as them being jealous.  

• Love 3

I find Lupe's personality deeply, deeply unappealing and my mind boggles at what Gilbert and Andrew's mothers must have done to them as boys to turn them into men who want to be with her. However, if I saw a child or a dog with a busted up hip like that and a leg hanging like that I would consider it beyond cruel not to help get that fixed. Even though Lupe's "the scale is not accurate" attitude is total garbage, and Dr. Now was probably already sick of her shit, I still think she needed that hip issue addressed first thing. I realize that being Canadian I have a different mindset toward universal healthcare, but I can't see how anybody in the medical profession could ethically see her hip and not fix that thing ASAP.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, GoldaVining said:

I find Lupe's personality deeply, deeply unappealing and my mind boggles at what Gilbert and Andrew's mothers must have done to them as boys to turn them into men who want to be with her. However, if I saw a child or a dog with a busted up hip like that and a leg hanging like that I would consider it beyond cruel not to help get that fixed. Even though Lupe's "the scale is not accurate" attitude is total garbage, and Dr. Now was probably already sick of her shit, I still think she needed that hip issue addressed first thing. I realize that being Canadian I have a different mindset toward universal healthcare, but I can't see how anybody in the medical profession could ethically see her hip and not fix that thing ASAP.

Given her weight, it would be counterproductive to operate on the hip. A hip replacement would most likely fail, possibly shattering the femur and leaving her worse off. 

• Love 4
On 7/14/2018 at 10:04 AM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

You may recall Lupe from her horrible husband, Gilbert, who tore her stitches open during sex, her double chin that was scarred heavily from a tracheotomy, her penchant for makeup you could see from space, or her continuing to push forward to lose weight and get out of an abusive marriage.

ROFL!!!!!!   I love your descriptions!!  That's twice you've made me laugh out loud today.

On 7/25/2018 at 9:47 PM, PrincessPurrsALot said:

Lupe was on a ventilator prior to being on the show.  She was in a coma.  With the weight loss and the damage from the ventilator scar, she now appears to have a scrotal sac for a chin.  

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!     OMG!!!    I should have read this thread long ago!

On 7/21/2018 at 11:51 PM, LuvMyShows said:

That was Paula.  I liked her. She was a mom and also worked during her weight loss.  

• Love 2
On 7/28/2018 at 2:45 PM, WhitneyWhit said:

I’m gonna set me up a go fund me, nothing’s wrong, I just want to be a millionaire and working isn’t getting me there fast enough. 

Damn Lupe, I was really rooting for your ass. I really hope we get a follow up because I want to meet the person who is jealous of a woman who looks like she applies lip liner by connecting the dots and lives with a man who finds it acceptable to be seen in public with ankle length jorts. I must know about their life. 

I know right?   I'm a little behind on my bills this month...I think I'll set me up a go fund me acct. 😂🤣

Was Andrew Renteria the new man in her life?  Because he suddenly passed away the end of January.    How sad.   

Plus, it said that Lupe has been in the hospital, and I hope she's doing better.    I hope the doctors will be able to fix her hip and leg issues.   She must be in a lot of pain, and the limits to her mobility must be awful for her.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama