Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E11: You've Come a Long Way, Baby 2018.07.16

I knew Arastoo was hinky the minute I saw him. Also either he's lost weight since Bones, or the lab coat made him look heavy. (Was his character named after artist Ralph Bakshi? Maybe the writer was a fan.) They've done the twist where it's the police/feds who are the villains more than once. Although in this case, it seemed like everybody was guilty of something, other than Roger Bart. LOL

Since they apparently couldn't get Natalie Dormer, the resolution was OK. Like Mycroft's death, it had the feel of a final season wrap-up of loose ends. That was quite a great threat Sherlock made - if Morland dies of anything but natural causes, she will have to deal with him. Sherlock and Morland's final scene crackled with unspoken acting. I liked that the Moriarty surrogate was named Ellery. I immediately thought of Ellery Queen, the crime fiction author, which was a pseudonym for two people.

• Love 11
(edited)
6 hours ago, biakbiak said:

i am not feeling how this season has been structured.

This was supposed to be episode 11 in a 13 episode (more than likely final) season.  Then they got 8 more episodes and then also got renewed for a 7th season.  Figure some episodes had to get some re-shoots and possibly have their order switched around to compensate for changes that were pretty well outside the control of the show-runners.  The problems of victory are still problems, but I think the show's done an excellent job so far. 

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 13

This was a very good episode!  I enjoyed the case-of-the-week (I also thought the CEO guy was guilty), and I love when Sherlock's creepy father shows up so he and Sherlock can show us how good actors can be when they're on their "A" game.  

Sherlock can identify 100+ types of tobacco by smell, but that old guy still considers him a poseur? LOL  

• Love 6

I liked that so many people where the bad guys.  Sherlock had a very good point about how that much money affects people.  I love Aidan Quinn's expressions that are so subtle, but say so much.  When he was talking to the FBI guy about the slush fund and how it was being used, Captain Gregson was clearly thinking, "You can not seriously be this stupid.  That at some point you didn't think this would be a problem?"

• Love 9

I know it's logistics, scheduling, and timing, but I was really disappointed not to have Natalie Dormer last night. OK show, you've got another season. I don't care how you do it, you must bring back Moriarty on screen.

• Love 6

I was probably just too distracted but I could not follow the cigarette story at all. I was able to follow the whole thing with Moriarty though so maybe I just need to go back and watch it again. I loved the part where Sherlock realized the painting was Moriarty's and smashed the glass container all over the floor. 

I know it's logistics, scheduling, and timing, but I was really disappointed not to have Natalie Dormer last night.

It would have been weird to have her only show up at the end like that though. I would expect her to have a much bigger presence if they were able to get her back - probably at least two episodes. But it does in fact feel kind of pointless to have a stand-in - why visit that story at all if you can't get the actress who plays the part? 

• Love 1

I was hoping to actually get to see Natalie Dormer, but scheduling conflicts and all that. I like how they ended things there, with Sherlock telling Moriarty exactly what would happen if Moreland died of anything but natural causes, and how things went with Sherlock and his father. Johnny and John Noble really work so well together.

Nice to see Bell doing some good investigation. Generally, I thought the case of the week was super confusing, but interesting. It was one of those cases where almost everyone is up to something bad, but only one person/faction actually did the murder.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, johntfs said:

was supposed to be episode 11 in a 13 episode (more than likely final) season.  Then they got 8 more episodes and then also got renewed for a 7th season. 

I am aware but so far if this was the final season I would be really disappointed how they have appeared to wrapped up the Moriarity and Mycrogt situations, not to mention front loading and I am assuming back ending the season with the stupid serial killer plot.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

Oh yeah . . . I completely forgot about the serial killer guy. If they were only going to do 13 episodes is that going to be wrapped up in the next two? Or did they find out they were getting more episodes before they had written all 13?

• Love 3
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I am aware but so far if this was the final season I would be really disappointed how they have appeared to wrapped up the Moriarity and Mycrogt situations, not to mention front loading and I am assuming back ending the season with the stupid serial killer plot.

What we've seen via the last three episode would very likely have led to some final confrontation/resolution with Moriarty in episode 13.  Mycroft is revealed to be dead, which brings Sherlock and Morland together with Morland being targeted by Morarity.  This episode essentially forestalled that final confrontation until next season at the least.

4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Oh yeah . . . I completely forgot about the serial killer guy. If they were only going to do 13 episodes is that going to be wrapped up in the next two? Or did they find out they were getting more episodes before they had written all 13?

I suspect that prior to the increase of episodes from 13 to 21, Michael's last episode would probably have been 7, "Sober Companions" with the resolution being Sherlock using the heroin to bring Michael down - and then taking his break to deal with the concussion syndrome.  Probably all 13 had been written at that point, but changes were made to them.  Joan might well have ended up on track to get the one girl's baby, for example.

• Love 3
(edited)

Until the show runner comes out and tells what their original intention was to do we have no idea what would have happened if it hadn’t been extended past 13 and then to another season. The show was completely in the can for months when it wa surprisingly renewed so the season finale could have easily been the series finale, so I am going to judge the season on what we are viewing, and in my opinion the overarching plot lines (also including Joan’s adoption story) to be lackluster and disappointing.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1

That was a pretty crazy case, with almost everyone being a bad guy on some level.  The biggest surprise was that Roger Bart was the least worst!  Really, I think it only real offense was hiring prostitutes.  For most Roger Bart characters, that is pretty damn tame!

I guess that's one way to keep Moriarty in play, despite Natalie Dormer not being available to come back.  I did get a kick out of Wrenn Schmidt playing her representative, because it reminded me of the character she played in The Americans, where it felt like she was only really there because Margo Martindale wasn't available to come back in her role.  Still love her though (currently rewatching Person of Interest, and seeing her again as Reese's therapist in season four.)  But I do wonder if we'll be seeing Moriarty and Morland again down the line.

I did like that Bell actually was doing some investigation on his own and even figured stuff out.  I like that the show always made him and Gregson pretty good as their jobs, and don't always need Sherlock (and Joan to extent) to bail them out all the time.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, Kathira said:

That was quite a great threat Sherlock made - if Morland dies of anything but natural causes, she will have to deal with him.

5 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I like how they ended things there, with Sherlock telling Moriarty exactly what would happen if Moreland died of anything but natural causes

Hmm. What about the gunshot, though? During the conversation with Morland (about him dying of natural causes, etc.) I had the impression Sherlock was lying to him, especially after Morland talking about wanting to kill Moriarty, and then Sherlock's conversation with Ellery (? not sure of the spelling) with him saying (paraphrased) "let's talk about you killing my father" and then it cutting away. My interpretation of that was that he'd rather his father die than Moriarty, and since we didn't see the rest of that conversation, I figured that what he was telling his father wasn't what actually happened. And then when Morland left, and there was a gunshot right after the door closed, I thought that confirmed that Sherlock was lying to his father, his conversation with Ellery was about them killing Morland, and one of Moriarty's people had shot him. Now I'm wondering if I hallucinated or something though lol.

• Love 1
(edited)

My favourite parts of the show:

- the title "You've Come a Long Way, Baby" from Virginia Slims advertising campaign - women got their own cigarettes and now they can be murderers too;

- shout out to Clyde and his wardrobe of cozies;

- Sherlock's solution to the Morland vs Moriarty problem.  I wonder if the last season (whether it's next season or possibly even another one after that) will have Morland dying of natural causes and Sherlock and Moriarty facing off against each other.

I am really enjoying this season. I don't even mind the Michael story line.

eta:

especially after Morland talking about wanting to kill Moriarty, and then Sherlock's conversation with Ellery (? not sure of the spelling) with him saying (paraphrased) "let's talk about you killing my father" and then it cutting away.

I think that was just one of their little misdirects to make us say wtf:)  I did not hear a gunshot but my hearing is not the best; it did not show up on closed captioning.

Edited by Trey
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, marina707 said:

with him saying (paraphrased) "let's talk about you killing my father" and then it cutting away.

Actually, it was closer to "Moriarty thinks we're going to discuss her death. I'd rather talk about my father's", implying that he's talking about killing his father, but he is just talking about his death (natural or otherwise).

• Love 3

I love the story arc of Sherlock, Morland and Moriarty. The more they have of that the happier I will be.

As for the weekly mystery to me it all made sense until the end. But then again it's TV and endings sometimes don't make sense.

I just finished the season 5 DVR with all the SKB and Shinwell nonsense so I am truly enjoying this season 6 a lot more except for the serial killer story line.

I do wonder if Sherlock is truly better or will that be revisited.

• Love 1

This one was twisty without getting ridiculous. We didn't see them actually arrest that woman though? Quite a jump from office manager to murderer. And she walked off and left the dogs, which seems out of the character they established.

Eric Garner, who was choked to death by the NYPD a few years ago, was getting arrested at the time for selling loose cigarettes.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Actually, it was closer to "Moriarty thinks we're going to discuss her death. I'd rather talk about my father's", implying that he's talking about killing his father, but he is just talking about his death (natural or otherwise).

That's right. That's why I thought he was okay with them kiling his father.

1 hour ago, Trey said:

I did not hear a gunshot but my hearing is not the best; it did not show up on closed captioning.

Interesting. I could've sworn there was one but I guess I was imagining things!

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Kathira said:

They've done the twist where it's the police/feds who are the villains more than once. Although in this case, it seemed like everybody was guilty of something, other than Roger Bart. LOL

I thought this was based on a real case—some lengthy This Amercan Life-type podcast I heard covered some story of a federal sting on either cigarettes or Oxy morphing into a trafficking operation.

17 hours ago, biakbiak said:

stupid serial killer plot

IMO, all serial killer plots are stupid. I'm glad this one is not consuming chunks of every episode.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, marina707 said:

That's right. That's why I thought he was okay with them kiling his father.

Yeah, it was a fake out by the writers. You were supposed to think that, considering his checkered past with his father. But then they turned it around that Sherlock was actually protecting his father.  Sherlock did still get in a little dig about his father being old, which I thought was endearing. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Kathira said:

Yeah, it was a fake out by the writers. You were supposed to think that, considering his checkered past with his father. But then they turned it around that Sherlock was actually protecting his father.  Sherlock did still get in a little dig about his father being old, which I thought was endearing. 

Wasn't it revealed a while back that he's actually sick? I don't recall if it was terminal though.

1 hour ago, Efzee said:

Wasn't it revealed a while back that he's actually sick? I don't recall if it was terminal though.

We found out in S4 that Morland had been shot and had surgery post-a hit on his life and he was still taking medications and being careful with his diet. Watson figured this out and that led to a couple of other plot lines. 

I do notice that Morland looks older in this season. I think makeup aged him up likely due to stress working as a crime lord and losing a child. Once again, I really appreciated Noble's work with his body language and subtle facial expressions. When they parted this episode, Morland says, "We'll speak again. Soon, I hope." So much left unsaid in that last line. It's oddly affectionate for those two. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Really wanted Bell to tell the exec at the end, "Don't ever call me son again." What a dog whistle. I wish it had been remarked upon. 

The bulldog photo scene was clunky as hell for this show. Obviously, that was going to be a clue! It would have sufficed to just have shown the photo without any dialogue.

On the other hand, what a red herring with Roger Bart and the lengthy explanation of lorazepam and champagne making him foggy! I kept shouting "It was Roger Bart!" And for once was totally off with the guest star I knew. Good for the show for upending that trend.

I liked all the Morland/Moriarty stuff, including Wrenn Schmidt (whom I know from POI as well as Boardwalk Empire), but I agree with the poster upthread who said that the main story was hard to follow. I was foggy from the beginning on which company was acquiring which, and why, and who the main players were.

One issue for me was that the culprit was someone we only saw in one scene. It would have been better if she had been the fourth at the table in that initial scene. Roger Bart and the agents didn't think she knew about the op anyway.

Edited by Moxie Cat
  • Love 6

Late to the party. Watson's coat game was (as usual) impeccable and I love Holmes's slightly altered look though I'm not sure what's going on.

The case was complicated but not convoluted - lots of shades of grey.  For some reason I really liked Gregson in all his scenes, Aidan Quinn does so much with relatively few lines.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

The bulldog photo scene was clunky as hell for this show. Obviously, that was going to be a clue! It would have sufficed to just have shown the photo without any dialogue.

I agree. But if we hadn't had this dialogue, we never would have known what Clyde is wearing.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

One issue for me was that the culprit was someone we only saw in one scene. It would have been better if she had been the fourth at the table in that initial scene. Roger Bart and the agents didn't think she knew about the op anyway.

The ATF agents asked her to handle the accounting and Cayman banking - unknowingly using a mole sent by the acquiring company - otherwise she could not have stolen the cash....

The case was complicated but not convoluted - lots of shades of grey.  

I went back and watched this again because I could not follow the story the first time around. I think "complicated but not convoluted" might be a distinction without a difference. It took real effort to follow. There was the distribution company being acquired by the tobacco company and the embedded ATF agents within the distribution company and the mole who worked at the distribution company but was reporting back to the tobacco company but also went rogue? I guess? There was just an awful lot to follow here. Also, the ATF guy they interviewed (not the undercover one or his partner, the other guy with the gray hair they interviewed after the other two shot each other) looked very similar to the tobacco company guy. That confused me too. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

the other guy with the gray hair they interviewed after the other two shot each other) looked very similar to the tobacco company guy. That confused me too. 

I wonder if that was the guy I spent silly amounts of time trying to figure out why he was pinging my H!ITG! radar. He looked like a slightly older, slightly heavier Josh Charles (Will from The Good Wife), but no, not him.

1 minute ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I liked how Joan brought in the smelling expert. I forget exactly how he put it, but he said something to the effect of:  "Keep it down! I'm trying to smell over here!"

The Nose! He's a good character:)

• Love 3
17 hours ago, paigow said:

The ATF agents asked her to handle the accounting and Cayman banking - unknowingly using a mole sent by the acquiring company - otherwise she could not have stolen the cash....

Oh, OK....see, I said I couldn't follow it! LOL

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Notwisconsin said:

DID anyone else here get another show on the DVR? Why does CBS DO that? Jeez!

The episode we (the rest of us) saw was supposed to have aired last week but was moved to this week. Maybe you got the one that was originally scheduled for this week.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:51 AM, Gregg247 said:

Sherlock can identify 100+ types of tobacco by smell, but that old guy still considers him a poseur? LOL  

The monograph that The Nose referred to is from canon -- in The Sign of the Four.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/18/2018 at 12:45 PM, Kathira said:

On 7/18/2018 at 2:30 PM, iMonrey said:

I didn't hear a gunshot either. Did I miss something?

Yeah, I'm sure I would've assumed it was a fake out if I didn't later (think I) hear(d) the gunshot. I'd already deleted the episode from my DVR but I was able to find it online and rewatched and there definitely was not a gunshot so I don't know what I heard/why I thought there was one. Maybe a glitch in my recording or something, who knows.

Edited by marina707
  • Love 1
On 7/31/2018 at 8:53 AM, shapeshifter said:

Depending upon your geographic location, perhaps a left-over fire cracker?

Maybe so! My town gets really into it and people do fireworks pretty much the entire month of July so it's entirely possible.

• Love 1
On 7/17/2018 at 5:37 PM, johntfs said:

What we've seen via the last three episode would very likely have led to some final confrontation/resolution with Moriarty in episode 13.  I suspect that prior to the increase of episodes from 13 to 21, Michael's last episode would probably have been 7, "Sober Companions" with the resolution being Sherlock using the heroin to bring Michael down - and then taking his break to deal with the concussion syndrome.  

This does not seem to be the case - this site confirms that everything up to this episode was the right production number (this one being 611), only for the following episode to be 614 and in continuing from there.  This means that "Episode 20" and "Episode 21" are likely going to be 612 and 613, and will be a two-parter resolving Michael.

That, or "Episode 19" and "Episode 20" are 612 and 613, and the season ends on a newly-made standalone leading into Season 7. But that's less likely, IMO.

Edited by Inquirer