Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Social and Otherwise

Probably far too late for anything, but there is a saveselfie page and petition going on if anyone’s interested:

http://selfiebc.tumblr.com/saveselfie

https://www.change.org/p/abc-save-selfie-3

Two weeks ago it might have done something, but I'm a tiny bit skeptical now.  Even still 4000+ sigs isn't bad for the short time it's been up.  The idea of trying to mobilize the Asian-American community (the angle: Asian romantic leads = needs being saved) is a good one.

But networks don't pay much heed to these online only petitions, right?  It's different when people snail mail nuts or something like that to them (because they get a big news cycle about it at the very least).  Although even the days of that working are gone I think.  Working on an outfit like Hulu or Netflix to take over a show might be more fruitful (and a huge disadvantage the show had staying on the air at ABC--that its a Warner Brothers production and not an ABC Studios production, turns into an advantage in that circumstance).

Edited by Kromm

Awww, I am disappointed but not surprised that this show has been canceled. I don't have much hope for it being picked up by another network due to the low ratings and how young it is. On the rare occasions that a canceled show gets a new life on a different network, it's usually a more established show with a cult following (Buffy, Arrested Development, Community, Scrubs, Cougar Town). I have lived through too many Save Our Show campaigns to think that 4000 signatures on an online petition will be enough to save Selfie.

I actually have a suspicion that this show was doomed because John Cho, and Karen Gillan are in demand right now and it was probably one of those, well if it is a BIG HIT, we will keep doing it but if not, I have other things to do. One reason ABC didn't try things like better promos or putting it on Friday. Even the pick up seemed odd and sometimes I think networks make these decisions on other reasons than ratings or lack of.

I don't think that's what happened. When you sign on to do a show as a lead, it's a multiyear contract so JC and KG were legally committed to this show for X years (7 seasons is standard for network shows on American tv) as long as the network decided to ordering new episodes. Even if you have other offers pouring in, you don't want your show to get canceled because of bad ratings. That's a black mark against the actors, the writers, and the network so no one wants that because it makes them all look bad. Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

...Working on an outfit like Hulu or Netflix to take over a show might be more fruitful (and a huge disadvantage the show had staying on the air at ABC--that its a Warner Brothers production and not an ABC Studios production, turns into an advantage in that circumstance).

Why would this help? And since it's Warner Bros., isn't the CW an affiliate of WB? Would they pick it up? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

Why would this help? And since it's Warner Bros., isn't the CW an affiliate of WB? Would they pick it up? Sorry if these are stupid questions.

It hurt with keeping the show on the air, because ABC is always going to favor their own productions.  It helped once the show was let go, because you can shop a WB show elsewhere, but probably not an ABC one.

Cougar Town in the only ABC co-produced show in recent memory I can think of successfully shopped elsewhere.  And it had several seasons on the air under it's belt.

CW is unlikely.  They've got a stuffed, successful schedule and don't need anyone else's cast-offs at this point in their existence. 

• Love 1

So I read that they just finished taping their 13th (and last, sigh) episode.  Does that mean that at least they would have had time to tweak it to give it a proper ending?  I sure hope so.  I mean, I'm so sad that we're losing this little gem, but hopefully with at least the couple of days notice (stupid ABC) and seeing the writing on the wall, the 13th episode will read like a good series finale.

If the finale puts a bow on the story, I will be satisfied. I mean, if it can make it seem as if it was intended to be a one-season story.
  • Love 3

If the finale puts a bow on the story, I will be satisfied. I mean, if it can make it seem as if it was intended to be a one-season story.

Yes, I actually think the story cannot be sustained much past 13 episodes. So if they give it a reasonable conclusion I would be happy. Also, if ABC decides to air it.

• Love 1

I absolutely adore this show!  When I read a summary of it (back in the spring, I think?), I thought it would be lame  But I watched the pilot since I wasn't watching anything else on Tuesday at 8pm and I was instantly hooked.  I think the two leads have major chemistry and the supporting cast is also great.  So sad it was cancelled but I hope we get to see all 13 episodes (even if they only stream the rest online).

• Love 1

I came over to post that information about ABC pulling the remaining episodes. I have got to say, this kind of makes me feel like it is time to stop watching network tv. They literally keep the crap and pull the good stuff. Just give me a network where they won't pull the show... ie HBO, and I will waste my time there. I think network tv is on the way out. They can't make money without hits and hits only come from the most lame things that appeal to the dullard masses.

Maybe it will just be for November due to sweeps.

• Love 4

What a nice spit in the face of everyone who did watch it.  Network TV is on the way out, and they did it to themselves.  Why should I invest my time and emotions in a new show these days?  It makes much more sense to wait until it runs a few seasons, and then catch it in syndication or on Netflix.  And since I'm not a Nielsen family, why should I bother to watch anything live?  That's what advertisers haven't caught on to yet - there is absolutely no reason for me to watch a show live, since they don't give a crap what the non-Nielsen people are watching.  They're pitching all their stuff to Nielsen families - the rest of us DVR.

Oh well, maybe the rest of it will show up on Netflix.

• Love 6

What the hell? It's cancelled? Why can't I ever have anything nice? Even when I get to keep shows like The Mindy Project or Suburgatory for more than a season they're always messing with them and they're always threatening to cancel them. Not every show is going to pull in crazy NCIS ratings. I wish it could go to hulu or netflix or something. It doesn't seem like a big budget show anyway.

• Love 2

When ABC cancelled two of my favorite shows, Eli Stone and Dirty, Sexy Money, a few years ago, they burned off the unaired episodes over a few weeks late in the season. So, there may be some hope. And, really, since there's no reason for them not to show those episodes on the ABC app or website. Since the episodes are already in the can, it's not as though it's going to cost them anything .

Any thoughts on how we might "encourage" them?

Edited by wonderwoman

It is so stupid not to air the rest of the episodes.  Especially since in a few weeks we will be subjected to all the current shows airing re-reuns from this very season.

When shows like NCIS drop in ratings, they drop fast (probably because half of that demographic is watching from bed already).  I get that the networks have changed but I wish someone would look back and take the gamble of doing what worked in the past.  Slowly building an audience over a season and letting word of mouth take point. 

Edited by heebiejeebie
  • Love 3

I didn't know we weren't getting any episodes tonight :( Will it be available online?

The show creator tweeted that the unaired episodes will be available "at some point." Not the most promising response but a glimmer of hope at least.

• Love 7

I have tried and tried to watch Two Broke Girls and be entertained and it hasn't happened.  Selfie was an adorable show, as was Suburgatory, and I would much rather watch that then the piffle that Two Broke Girls is. 

I'll never understand networks.  Sigh.

• Love 4

They renewed Scorpion and Stalker. I'll never understand them either. 

Yeah, but that means your actual beef is with Neilson (who I personally believe is wildly inaccurate) and their insane Neilson families (who seem to gravitate to a lot of really stupid shit).

The networks fail too of course, with how they schedule and promote shows, but the actual decision to cancel isn't that unreasonable given the shit numbers.  It's what caused the shit numbers that's the issue.  Although there's also a great argument here that the network should have tried the show in another timeslot.  Then again, working around their locked down slots with hit shows, they had surprisingly few options for this show.

• Love 1

Yeah, she replied to someone's tweet that they're still editing some episodes, so she's not sure when it will be. She also doesn't know yet if they'll dump them all at once, or put one up per week.

Either way, I'm super excited!

• Love 3

Yeah, she replied to someone's tweet that they're still editing some episodes, so she's not sure when it will be. She also doesn't know yet if they'll dump them all at once, or put one up per week.

Either way, I'm super excited!

Interesting.  The cost for doing that could be coming out of her own pocket, since I can't see ABC paying post-production costs (at the very least labor costs for the editor, and possibly usage/rental fees if the editing is done at some kind of dedicated facility) on episodes they won't be airing (since it won't be getting any ad revenue). 

It's still not on Hulu (as of 3 minutes ago), but abc.com has Traumatic Party Stress Disorder on its site.  You have to "verify to watch", which I think means you have to have a recognized cable/satellite/whatever (it takes me to my Xfinity login).  Hopefully it will be on Hulu within the next 24 hours.

Help! I have Direct TV and Hulu has it on Hulu plus.

Notice that only the newest episode is.

That tells me that they're applying the same rules as IF it were broadcast on TV (despite not being).  If they follow the precedent then Episode 8 will be available to normal Hulu on the 8th day after "broadcast" (which in this case I guess would be 8 days after it's rolled out to Hulu Plus).

• Love 1

In cases like this, do the network bigwigs get to see the finale before they decide to pull the plug? I have a fantasy right now that they did see it and decided it was really a gem of a show that was perfectly wrapped up by the season finale, so why spoil it with a second season--emphasis on "fantasy"--I realize it was probably all about advertisers and ratings.