Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Social and Otherwise

I'm pretty convinced that network execs think the viewing public doesn't know what's good and they can only go by the numbers. I got sucked into this show and a show called Matador (also canceled) because of On Demand and online airings. I think the networks are still basing decisions on appointment television. As much as I like Selfie, I'm not going to watch it "live" over The Flash.

The networks don't give a flying damn what's good or not good or what we think is good or not good, they're in the business of selling advertising, and the higher the numbers are the more they can charge. Also, if you aren't a Nielsen family it doesn't matter what you watch live or not.

• Love 4

The network care about quality only in the sense that they can occasionally shop it around in exchange for publicity.

The problem is that a show like Selfie didn't bring enough great press fast enough.  It's the kind of show that would be hard to march out as quality programming being kept around despite ratings as some kind of network self-sacrifice towards quality.  It was charming, and for the most part pretty funny, but there wasn't enough to grab onto to sell it as having a cult following, or as it having some huge cultural or artistic cachet.

• Love 3

Looks like the final five episodes are gone from Hulu :( I went to watch one the other day, and all that's left is a single preview clip. And the episodes are no longer available to view on ABC's website. Even worse, there's no mention of a DVD set or anything on Amazon, or anywhere else. This sucks! I guess I should just be happy I saved three episodes on my DVR. This was such a clever show, I'm sorry it never got a chance.

• Love 1

The AV Club did their "One Season Wonders, Weirdos, and Wannabees" segment on this show.  They ended it by calling Selfie "a wonder of a missed opportunity."

While I'm glad that the majority of the cast has found success elsewhere and, realistically, I know if the show was successful, there would have been a chance that Karen Gillan never would have become Nebula or Dave Harewood wouldn't have been cast in Supergirl, I still miss this show.

• Love 2