Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E24: The Wedding (Part 2)

he wedding day chaos continues as the entire party shifts from one contingency plan to another. Guests start to get testy, Mitchell and Cameron are feeling discouraged and poor Claire shows physical wear and tear.

That line from Pepper about kiln cracked me up.

I thought the wedding would be better. It was just okay.

I did not think the "gay" Manny/Luke shtick was funny.

The actor who plays the nanny that Haley likes has made my gaydar ping since he was in Pitch Perfect so I cannot take their budding romance seriously.

• Love 1

The actor who plays the nanny that Haley likes has made my gaydar ping since he was in Pitch Perfect so I cannot take their budding romance seriously.

I can't get over when she realized he was just like her dad and was grossed-out about being into him.  Haley's mind might change for the sake of the plot, but my memory doesn't change at a writer's whim.

(edited)

Paraphrasing but "It's quaint and rustic but its main advantage is that it's not about to become a kiln!"  I love Pepper.

He had the best lines tonight. When he talked to the fireman, he said, "I have all your calendars." When the wedding was finally happening, he said to Lily something like, "Go be a flower girl before you turn into a flower teenager."

Edited by babyhouseman

I loved this episode - crazy until the end, then sweet. I'm so glad Cam's parents decided to be nice (but wonder what will happen with them next season?)

The ongoing bit with Manny and Luke was hilarious!

Kind of predictable. Well foreshadowed with all the Club talk the past two weeks but it served it's purpose fine.

I got a kick out of Alex recording the sight gags of Luke and Manny. She got to be the devilish one for once. Alex is the most interesting of the child Characters to me. I thought her therapy episode this season was spectacular. I'm hoping for more quality storylines for her next year.

I hope this is the end of the Haley/Andy stuff, but I seriously doubt it.

A comfortable season all in all, sort of par for the course for a 5th year sitcom. 

This was a horrible season and it was like ABC told all shows that were having a wedding for their finales to do anything possible to make them either not happen or have "wacky hijinks" before the end. 

Somewhat relieved that Alex actually got Hailey to be sure she REALLY wanted to be with Andy instead of just seeing if she COULD break him and his blah girlfriend up. Yeah, Andy took the cab all the way there for nothing but if Hailey's not sure she wants to more than banter with Andy, it's better he be alone than get himself into a nothing unbalanced deal.

Also relieved that Phil just performed the ceremony without actually attempting any magic tricks [as I could easily imagine him bungling one up when push came to shove at the alter]. Nice speech by Claire in the end.

Also happy that Alex just had a good 'inside joke' laugh  with Lily and nothing more at Luke and Manny's expense after spending this whole episode seeming to try to frame them into making it look as though THEY were a gay couple getting married.

Best of all, Jay saving the day for Mitch and Cam even if he likely risked bankrupcy having his own country club transformed instantly into a wedding venue [and almost certainly risking getting endlessly heckled by his country club cronies until the day he dies].  Nice tasteful but realistic clench by Cam and Mitch at the end,too.

• Love 1

I've attended exactly one Jewish wedding in my life. The parents walked the couple down the aisle between them to the alter. That was the first thing that popped into my mind when cowboy hat started walking Cam down the aisle. 

Pepper is usually a little too over-the-top for me but he was hilarious in this episode. Especially the kiln and flower teenager lines.

The Luke and Manny schtick was drawn out for way too long and felt really sitcom-y. If they had just stopped at the "Phil marries them" joke and shown Alex filming it, it wouldn't have been beaten to death.

Oh, Andy. He seems too cartoonish - he just doesn't seem like a real guy in his early 20s. That being said, anything that gives Alex and Haley a reason to interact/bond is okay by me.

The wedding itself got a huge "awwwww" out of me.

I'm glad we did get to finally see the wedding take place (Castle writers, take note!). I would have expected some hi-jinks in a comedy, so the moving of the venue several times was not as bad as it could have been. Plus fire is a pretty good reason. I also liked Pepper and the other side stories with Cam's parents and Alex, Manny and Luke. Could have skipped Haley and Andy. I don't see them having anything in common, so I hope they don't persue that. Although Haley talking to her mom while in the coffee shop with Andy was pretty funny "I'm right here, waving at you" Ha!

It was too cheesy for me; it felt like it was written by a high school writing class - let's write a play about a wedding! All the usual tropes - ridiculous hijinks that would never happen in real life, switching the venue three times, ending up in Jay's country club (quelle surprise, like that wasn't telegraphed two episodes ago), it even include a pregnant woman's water breaking at the most inopportune time. I mean, please. And then they end it with typical sappy vows written by two people who have barely said anything nice to each other for four seasons.

If it wasn't for Pepper, there would have been very little humour. And where was Cam's sister?  

This was a good episode but I thought the first part was funnier. Sweetest moment was Jay wanting to "take a walk" w. Mitchell down the aisle. 

I thought we'd get more vows from Cam/Mitchell. Eric, during the press tour, seemed to hint/indicate that. Unless it was cut/edited out for timing.

• Love 1
(edited)

First, thank you to the people at Hulu for fixing their settings. Modern Family is usually up first thing on Thursdays, but today it was mistakenly unavailable for Hulu+ subscribers. I wasn't able to catch it in real time and was so upset. They updated the settings, and I've watched it twice.

Loved the two episodes. Of course Phil would be ordained just in case, that's the kind of person he is. Claire's voiceover was sweet and ended with a good joke. Haley being mature enough to appreciate Alex's advice and realizing Andy deserved better than Beth AND Haley. Pepper thinking Mitch and Cam are the poor white trash who have a terrible couch and horrible apt. Lily throwing down and picking up that one petal.

I don't understand why Jay thinks so poorly of his friends. This is Jay getting stuck inside his own head, projecting his fears onto others, and letting his imagination go to the worst possible scenario.

Cam's parents overhearing Jay/Deedee's conversation and realizing they don't want the kind of relationship where you don't know the other person's phone number and your presence at major life events is optional.

The only part I didn't like was how Jesse Ferguson played the vows. He was saying "I do" but was shaking his head no. I'm trying to fanwank that he was so stunned that they were actually getting married that he couldn't believe it was happening, but his body language was saying "no!"

I'm good with the season overall. Several episodes I don't care to see again (same as every season on every show) but some real gems, too.

Edited by Kiddvideofan
  • Love 3
(edited)

I liked the episode for the most part.  Did I see Cam's sister just barely being shown in the background?  I think she was up on the platform with Claire at the first venue and I think also in the background at the ceremony at the club.  Dislike Haley and any story around her, also that nanny or manny, whatever he is, I find him strange and creepy.  The Luke Manny things was ok as a sub story.  As usual, I loved Lilly and her reactions and Nathan Lane was great---love Pepper!  Looking forward to next season.

Edited by LucyEth
  • Love 1

My favorite moment was when the wedding was back at the house; Lily had only one petal left and she was throwing it then picking it up.

That was the one laugh I got from the finale (two episodes).

I liked the visuals of the newly "married" couple of Manny and Luke.

I thought stretching this out to two episodes was unnecessary. The hijinks struck me as too "I Love Lucy"-ish. I could've enjoyed a single-episode version of this story, excluding the manny story (I'm reluctant to admit this, but I, too, find the actor unbelievable as a straight guy). I did like how Jay stepped up to the plate in the end, and how Cam's parents did, too. This is exactly what I would have expected from Jay. Some things are hard to wrap your mind around, but in the end, your love for your child and your sense of decency take over. This is how modern family deals with circumstances that are still foreign to them.

• Love 3

I loved this episode for the wedding.  I am so glad Mitch was walked down the aisle by his dad. I was hoping for an ending like this, except for it being at the club but doesn't matter.  Clair's speech was perfect being the "Best Person".  I could have done without the Manny and Luke scenes and pretending to have a wedding, just wasn't funny. 

I want to see more of Haley and the Manny/Nanny.  Maybe seeing more of her fighting the attraction she has towards him and his towards her.  I liked where they went with that.  Loved this one and can't wait for next season and what happens.

Definitely the best 3 lines of this episode were by Pepper to the fireman--"I have all your calendars" and Haley to her mom "God, I'm right here, I'm waving at you"  and Lily to Alex "Its like they never left."  Also loved Lily picking up and putting down the same flower petal.  I love Lily's character--so funny in a dry sort of way.

• Love 2
(edited)

This plot had so much potential and it really fell flat for me. I loved Pepper, but I always do. I loved Lily (and always do.) The butterfly thing was mildly amusing, but the show on a whole was not my favorite by a long shot. MEH, big ole meh. And Cam's parents were pretty rude to be doing that shit on their son's wedding day. Come on.... you made it 40-something years, you can't wait a few more hours?

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1

I agree, way too much going on. The wedding itself, with all of Pepper's drama, was an episode in itself. Add Jay's conflicted feelings and a glitch requiring it to be moved to Jay's club, and it can be stretched into a two-parter, especially with one or two (not five or six) subplots. 

Haley and the nanny could have waited until another time, completely irrelevant, except to give that character a plotline. Luke and Manny's fake marriage by Phil and Alex filming it should have been a one-off, with maybe a little return joke at the end. The pregnant officiant was just stupid (and I like Elizabeth Banks); Phil could have been tapped to do it from the get-go.

I realize Cam's parents were there, so they needed something to do besides just being there (because look how that worked out for his sister, the poor actress shows up and gets no lines, not even acknowledgment), but a potential divorce was a little over the top. And really, having Cam's father look at how Jay's life turned out after his divorce, and then deciding not to, makes no sense. Many guys would think Jay's life turned out pretty darn good after his wife left.

I've personally never been a fan of the drawn out, 10,000 things go wrong before the inevitable 'saves the day' moment that sitcoms love so much. So naturally by the time the bride showed up for her wedding space I was getting bored. But the actual wedding at the country club was beautiful and I like the touch of the sun setting which made sense with how much they'd ran around that whole day and visually it was beautiful. I was glad Phil forgoed his stupid magic tricks for pointing out instead his marriage to Claire.

Jay walking Mitchell down the aisle was sweet as was Gloria rushing to get in on it. I've never really cared about Cam's family so their whole story was boring to me and I too wondered where the sister was, not that I missed her. The Andy/Haley story is kind of meh and Andy kind of annoying but whatever, I mostly tune it out. Like at least Dylan and his brain dead self was funny. Andy's just kind of awkward looking and annoying. Agree with others that Pepper was the best thing about the episode. I loved when he suggested they moved the wedding to the upstairs of the house and Mitchell said they didn't own the upstairs. Only for Pepper to say he just thought they were only showing him the nice part of the house and then he tells Fernando to make sure Cam and Mitchell's checks have cleared. 

Finally, I agree with others about the Manny/Luke gag. It went on way too long and just wasn't very funny. If they'd kept it at Phil's accidentally marrying them it would have been fine because that actually was kind of funny. But the whole Manny the weepy wife who only stays home with baby Joe and Luke the grumpy, unemotional one just became really tedious and annoying. Especially as I swear that gag has been used in damn near every comedy I've ever watched. 

The only part I didn't like was how Jesse Ferguson played the vows. He was saying "I do" but was shaking his head no. I'm trying to fanwank that he was so stunned that they were actually getting married that he couldn't believe it was happening, but his body language was saying "no!"

Maybe that was JTF's hilarious way of saying Mitchell would be questioning getting married. I'll be honest, Cam and Mitchell have their funny moments and the wedding was sweet, but I often do wonder why and how those two even got together. Especially after the episode when they introduced Mitchell's ex Teddy who seemed so calm and sweet. I just cannot wrap my head around someone already so high strung and uptight as Mitchell, being with such a drama queen as Cam. 

I had a lot of problems with this episode but the one that bothered me the most was the nanny part.  So, this guy, whose job is to watch the baby, who I'm assuming will need to be watched on the day that a wedding is going on, is leaving town.  Not for a family emergency, which I can understand, but to visit his girlfriend.  And he's leaving on the day of the wedding, just when people need to start getting ready, and therefore the baby needs a caretaker.  In what world does that make sense?  That's a bit like letting your personal chef go on vacation on the day that you are having a sit down dinner for 50 people.  It bugged me.  Why they felt they had to squeeze in all these story lines is beyond me.

However, I did love Lily dropping the rose pedal, picking it up, etc.  That was funny.

The nanny is entitled to vacation time, so it doesn’t bother me. Most people with babies manage to get ready for a wedding without the assistance of a full-time nanny, and Gloria is naturally attractive, so it’s not like it takes her forever to “get beautiful”. I didn’t care for the bodice of her dress; it gave her a massive shelf-boob.

As a former caterer, all I think about is how they managed the food issues with all the venue changes. Heh. ‘Cuz you know they had some fancy stuff planned. With a fire coming, did the caterer just abandon the kitchen? When they got to the second place, were they going to eat the other couple’s choices? What was the plan (Phil!) when they went to Cam and Mitchell’s house? And could Jay’s club just whip up a feast for a 100 people on the fly? That’s how a caterer thinks.

Finally got around to watching this and was disappointed.

Not enough Phil.

I hate Pepper.

Luke has joined Manny in the 'can't act' category....and I used to love Luke.

Where is Dylan?

The positive.

Lily gets better with age.

Otherwise:  meh.

Overall, I still enjoy this show, but the gay stereotyping is so old!  My partner (husband) and I have developed an intense dislike for Cam, and it's harder and harder to root for them as the example of modern gay couples.

The writers just need to tone down Cam's diva tendencies and pettiness and in fairness that is true of all the really OTT annoying qualities about the other characters, like Gloria's being loud and obnoxious. Because it just gets repetitive and redundant after awhile, not to mention Cam's being over 40 makes a lot of his behavior less cute and just obnoxious and irritating. 

As a former caterer, all I think about is how they managed the food issues with all the venue changes. Heh. ‘Cuz you know they had some fancy stuff planned. With a fire coming, did the caterer just abandon the kitchen? When they got to the second place, were they going to eat the other couple’s choices? What was the plan (Phil!) when they went to Cam and Mitchell’s house? And could Jay’s club just whip up a feast for a 100 people on the fly? That’s how a caterer thinks.

Repeat was on last night and I did find myself wondering how Jay's club through together the food for a wedding-did everyone order off the menu. I'm sure there was plenty of booze, but not sure where the food came from.

On the other hand, I did love "Come on, let's take a walk." somehow Jay always finds a way to redeem himself.

I actually hated when Gloria rushed in to walk Mitchell down the aisle with Jay. I thought it was a sweet moment for the two of them and she should have left them alone.

ETA: I agree with this completely. I also hated it just thinking of the comedy gold we missed out on by not having DeDe there.

Edited by AriAu
  • Love 2