Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01 Redemption

• Start Topic

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I can't tell you anything else that happened, I am so sad for Carleigh.  I was really rooting for her!!!

Thumbs down to the show for previewing it at the ep's beginning.  Imagine the shock if we didn't know it was coming.

NO!!!

• Love 10

I'm so sad for Carleigh. She lasted over 20 hours with a fish hook in her hand before even thinking of tapping. That's a warrior.  Food was her downfall both seasons. 

Sam is out looking for snakes. Okay. I'd be running in the other direction. 

Wonder if Brooke is now adding a second floor to her shelter? We haven't seen her yet, so she's probably almost done decorating...

I think shelter would be my first priority out there with bears and wolves roaming around.

• Love 12

Looks like my Jesse (yes, he’s mine.  I called him first, ladies!) is building a small cabin shelter, but taking it slowly to not waste energy.  But not Jose-slowly I hope.

Hope Sam finds that snake.  Forget the bears & wolves, the snakes would make me tap on Day 1.

Why is Nicole always walking toward the bears?  I love her & her attitude& her lessons, so I hope she builds a better structure.

Poor Carleigh.  She finally starts catching fish and one does her in.  That looked nasty.  If the barb really was caught on her thumb tendon, she may have to have it surgically removed (cutting her hand open to get to it). She did the right thing by tapping.  Metal will cause blood poisoning and infection very easily.  

I really thought Brad would be the first to go.

PS we did find another sat station to watch it on, though at 11 instead of 10.  (We don’t have subscription tv, but I was gonna call Spectrum just to get it for the duration of ‘Alone ‘.)

• Love 5

Why did Nicole say there wouldn’t be as much wood? I saw wood freaking everywhere!

Poor Carleigh. I can’t believe she went almost a day with that hook imbedded in her hand. I would have been terrified of getting blood poisoning. How did that hook get in so deep?

Yeah, I wouldn’t mess with that snake especially in heavy vegetation.

Looking forward to F*cking Larry! ?

• Love 8
35 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

Why did Nicole say there wouldn’t be as much wood? I saw wood freaking everywhere!

I saw a lot of dead trunks, but it's hardly the same as being on the edge of a forest.  I'm not sure what you'd call the terrain they've been dropped in, maybe a floodplain? Assuming she cuts down a good number of those trunks for her shelter and she needs a couple of them a day for fuel, what she has right there is not going to last long. 

1 hour ago, roamyn said:

Poor Carleigh.  She finally starts catching fish and one does her in.  That looked nasty.  If the barb really was caught on her thumb tendon, she may have to have it surgically removed

It looked (when I managed to actually look at the screen - yikes!) to be closer to the center of her hand, more in line with her index finger than her thumb.  I'm not familiar with fishhooks, I don't understand why she wasn't able to twist it out the reverse of how it went in.  The way it was edited - showing us Day 4 before they went back to Day 1 - it was really heartbreaking to see her catch so many fish so easily knowing what was coming for her. 

Has anyone seen something like a Google Earth picture of how they are positioned?  They've only done that for the seasons on VI, but I always appreciated that perspective.

Everyone they've shown so far has a green tarp.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I saw a lot of dead trunks, but it's hardly the same as being on the edge of a forest.  I'm not sure what you'd call the terrain they've been dropped in, maybe a floodplain?

I saw the same thing.  Her spot had a lot of dead trees compared to the others. She might have to move a bit to find an area that's safe to build her camp.   They said on episode 0 (?) that the river does flood, so she needs some higher elevation with more live trees.   I believe that the article posted recently in the media thread mentioned that they each had about 5 sq miles.  Hopefully she can find a safe place to build camp that's not on too much of a slope.  

Speaking of her, she still has her humor, and sheesh.   The woman should be an educator.   She's constantly teaching.   :)   BTW, no ant larvae for me, but that was a humorous segment.   

Just random thoughts: 

Sam: 

- Well, he has some excess weight he can lose.  That's good.  

- Adorable children!

- OMG, the first day and he's already breaking down in tears??  Get over it.  I never want to hear it again.  I mean......never.   

- Still howling at wolves and I loved it.  We used to do that at home and it's a thrill.  Coyotes, too...but they're easy.  

Carleigh:

- She gained 25 pounds to try again.  

- She's so nice and such a tough girl, and then.......BAM.   I think I cried.    

Jesse: 

- Said he was my favorite a couple weeks ago, and he still is. 

- He has a lovely spot!   

- Hefty trees he's felling (like a turtle).  I think his home is going to be great!  

2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Everyone they've shown so far has a green tarp.

Yeppers.  Looked too big to be the camera tarps to me, but some of the old tarp choices were huge.   This is still interesting.     

• Love 8
43 minutes ago, humbleopinion said:

So what did Nicole see?

What did you see moving in the distance?

Big Foot....Yeti?

It looked like a bear scratching itself on a trunk.  You could “bearly” make out movement in the distance.

Still, she picked up the camera and started toward the sound.  This is not one of your safari’s Nicole!

• Love 3
(edited)

Too bad Carleigh didn't have Nicole's nifty work gloves when she was fishing...hooking herself that deep really was a fluke... see what I did there.

She couldn't advance the hook through her hand because she didn't have a tool to cut off the eye on the hook, hence the heroic Flintstones attempt with her knife and rock...

She couldn't back the hook out because  the barb was  tickling a tendon.

Reasons Carleigh did tap out.... the injury was on her dominate hand rendering it useless, worst case scenario: the sharp barb eventually severing tendons and ligaments in her hand, local then systemic infection from the fish goo and mentally she was frustrated, defeated that she couldn't solve her way out of this medical situation.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 10
11 hours ago, raven said:

Thumbs down to the show for previewing it at the ep's beginning.  Imagine the shock if we didn't know it was coming.

Totally agree!    I usually FF thru previews in the beginning of the show because of this.  But sometimes it cannot be avoided if they show it in a commercial,etc.

Is it possible they let her stay?  The fact that they blll-boarded this event so much alluding to a tap-out may signal a surprise here,  Not saying I would necessarily agree with that decision although I truly want to see Carleigh stay,  but they may have slightly changed the rules this time.

Shouldn't Sam be putting out his snares and traps IMMEDIATELY?  He may have,  but no mention of it.  Gotta eat Sam..you can chase snakes after your traps are set.

• Love 2

Well, watching that whole bit with the fish hook wasn't exactly pleasant viewing.  I can't believe Carleigh last 86 days before while only catching six fish, that's amazing.  I felt bad for her, but I mean it seemed like they showed her crying forever.  Then they flashed a graphic  "Watch the extended version of Carleigh's tapout on History.com" or whatever it was.  I thought no thanks, I think I've had my fill.  She couldn't get the hook out, for whatever reason, and once that happened sorry you're going to have to tap, it sucks but there's no other option, you might as well accept it.  

I was a little confused at first because they were talking about highs of -20 in Mongolia, and the next thing we see is Nicole in a light baseball shirt.  And everything is green.  So obviously the colder temperatures will come later in the year.

Sam crying about missing his family in the first episode, I understand it but don't want to see it.  If he can catch a snake that would be a great meal - dangerous though.  It's a minor miracle no contestants have been killed by predators yet IMO.

Nice to get back to solo surviving instead of teams.      

• Love 5
52 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Then they flashed a graphic  "Watch the extended version of Carleigh's tapout on History.com" or whatever it was. 

Darn.. didn't realize they confirmed a tap out.  was hoping that they could let her stay if she could be treated there,  Like N&A does now.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, seasick said:

Darn.. didn't realize they confirmed a tap out.  was hoping that they could let her stay if she could be treated there,  Like N&A does now.  

That's what I was thinking, at least N & A will tend to your wounds and let you stay as long as you can. What a bummer for her. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rmontro said:

Then they flashed a graphic  "Watch the extended version of Carleigh's tapout on History.com" or whatever it was.

What's really annoying is that they put up the graphic, but, it's not on the website. You can watch the full episode, and the Making the Cut episode, and the cast intro videos, but nothing else.

They almost seem to not want to put up the spoiler that she tapped out, but, where the hell are we supposed to find the damned videos??

• Love 1

She made the right call, but oh how very heartbreaking!  

I'm tired of Sam already.  I never really cared for him in the first season either.  No specific reason, I'm sure he's a great guy, but he greatly resembles someone I know in real life (not a survivalist type at all) who I can't stand, so every time Sam's face crumples in tears, I do a fist pump.  I'm not proud of that.  So they can stop featuring him any time now, lest my personal feelings erode my humanity any further...

• Love 8

Damn. Carleigh is a bit of an odd duck, but getting felled by pure dumb bad luck is crushing. And that girl has ovaries of steel to last 20 hours with a grimy fishhook in her dominant hand, still trying to MacGyver her way out of it. All of her efforts with the GIANT KNIFE--I was terrified that it was going to get a thousand times worse. 

I didn't appreciate being spoiled by the teaser...but then again, whichever woman it was who did actually damage a tendon chopping up kindling? They teased the closeup of her bloody hand for weeks, and I used all my teevee investigative skills to identify the sleeve of her jacket and spoil myself, so I can't completely blame them.  

The area they're in is gorgeous. I'm a dumb American, so the sum total of my prior knowledge of Mongolia was steppes/yurts/yak milk. It's fascinating to see so much more. 

• Love 11

I was so disappointed for Carly that I couldn't even watch the episode!  (I checked here after the episode was over to see if it was her in the previews that had to tap out.)  Damn.  It was.  I'll catch up on the next one.  Thing is, I've been following her somewhat on her FB page since last year, and not knowing that she was back on the show, I'd seen pictures of her at a normal weight over that time.  Once I found out that she was back on Alone, I kind of figured that she had to tap out early since she did not appear to have lost a lot of weight like her initial time on Alone.   Even if one was catching fish, I'd imagine that there would still be a significant drop in weight.    I was hoping to be wrong, but alas, my instincts were sadly correct.  

I wish her much success in everything she does.  She's one tough woman, and one that I admire a lot. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, seasick said:
17 hours ago, raven said:

Totally agree!    I usually FF thru previews in the beginning of the show because of this.  But sometimes it cannot be avoided if they show it in a commercial,etc.

I disagree. 30 seconds of shock vs. 30 minutes of suspense? I'll go with the Hitchcock version.

I also disagree with those upset with Sam crying. We're sitting in our comfortable homes, steps away from a bathroom, shower, kitchen and our families. I'm willing to give these people a break in expressing their emotions.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, seasick said:

Darn.. didn't realize they confirmed a tap out.  was hoping that they could let her stay if she could be treated there, 

It seems reasonable that they should be allowed to get some medical attention.  I think the rule is that if someone has to be transported off site, they have to tap?

But I never thought that she was staying.  She pressed the button and said the words "I'm afraid I have to tap out".  Sounds official enough to me.

3 hours ago, Charlesman said:

What's really annoying is that they put up the graphic, but, it's not on the website. You can watch the full episode, and the Making the Cut episode, and the cast intro videos, but nothing else.

There's a video of her getting her hook removed here:

https://www.history.com/shows/alone

59 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

I also disagree with those upset with Sam crying. We're sitting in our comfortable homes, steps away from a bathroom, shower, kitchen and our families. I'm willing to give these people a break in expressing their emotions.

As I said before, I find it completely understandable.  But there have been so many scenes of people missing their families, and of specifically tapping out because they missed their families, or of using that as an excuse to tap out, that watching those scenes can become tiresome through sheer repetition.  Some have even suggested that they should send more single people out there because they won't tap because they have a baby at home, or whatever.  But maybe then they would say they miss their friends, or people in general. 

• Love 2

This was a bit of a slow build with just a few people introduced, as the first few episodes usually are, but still... it’s back! Yea! I enjoy this show so much. I also am, surprising myself, feeling quite warm about the idea of having returnees.

Since I felt like the tap out was given away in the preview episode I wasn’t too invested but still found it kind of sad. It may feel like that with many of these folks since they’re familiar. I’m excited to see the choices for shelter and the differing environments they have set up in. 

• Love 4

as bad as it was for Carleigh, we know something worse is going to happen, they keep showing that stretcher.  really enjoyed that nature lesson by Nicole, hope it does not snow too soon. seems a bit early to eat ant larva

• Love 4

No!!!!  Carleigh's my favourite.  Damn you, show, for making me so excited about how many fish she was catching and then... bam!  Fish goo in hand.  Tap out!  She's still awesome.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

All those dead trees looked like lots of wood to me. Anyway, when I think of Mongolia, I think of steppes so I didn’t expect that terrain.

I recently watched a documentary (I think on Netflix) by a Mongolian-American guy who was looking for the tomb of Genghis Khan.  In the course of the film you see a lot of Mongolia and it's incredibly diverse; I had no idea.  I'll have to nose around and see if I can find it again.  I'll post it here if I do.

If I recall last week's intro correctly, they were all placed along rivers, but I doubt they'll have to worry about flooding since that wouldn't happen until the spring.

• Love 4

I like the old way of giving us a short clip of each cast rather than spot lighting on a couple with the focus on the one on their way out.....

I could have waited to see Sam crying....to see a few more cast getting set up....

Everyone on Day One...no jumping back and forth to pick up individual time lines.

• Love 4

I'm so excited that this is pack! Super pumped about the location. I don't follow a lot of pre-premiere press, so I actually had no idea it would be returning contestants until I started the episode. I didn't watch that stupid couples edition last year; it went against the entire premise of the show, IMO. So I'm not familiar with any of those returnees. But I was really pretty thrilled with most of the other choices. 

My husband and I both loved Sam. He's from my home-state, and we just thought he was a gentle-hearted, decent young man. I was a bit worried, seeing him break down so early this time. But Mr. Ghoulina said maybe it's a good thing, maybe he's getting it out of the way. 

I LOVED Nicole as well. So competent and spirited. She's just great. I wish her well this time. 

I can't wait to see ***$%###@%^&& Larry!

Don't know the guy who got a decent start on his shelter; he must have been from the couples season. But Mr. Ghoulina was so relieved to see someone actually erecting walls. He harps about it every year. 

Carleigh. I wasn't super attached to her in her season, but I still found her to be an impressive person. So much heart. To see her have to leave for medical reasons AGAIN was just sad. She was of to such a great start with her fish!!! But that damn hook. The Mister kept saying she needed to just slice into her hand and pull it out, but I'm over here like - "easier said than done." Knowing me, though, I would have gone on with the damn thing in my hand. I'm one of those stubborn bitches that refuses to admit anything's wrong until I have to give in and go to the ER. 

I do wish we could see a bit of everyone right out of the gate, but I think they not only choose anyone who taps early, but also those who take to filming right away. Some people might not have much to show. 

• Love 6

Carleigh being taken out by a fish hook (I could not watch any of that, BTW, yikes) is brutal. I think of all of them, she appears the most comfortable outdoors. As if she might actually PREFER sleeping outside. I think someone above asked why she couldn't just take the hook out the way it went in but fish hooks have a barb at the end that only easily goes one direction. It'd be like backing your car over those "severe tire damage" strips, only more graphic because all you have on hand is a basic first aid kit and not even any truly clean water. Do not blame her for tapping out one bit. 

• Love 8
On 6/14/2018 at 11:24 PM, roamyn said:

Poor Carleigh.  She finally starts catching fish and one does her in.  That looked nasty.  If the barb really was caught on her thumb tendon, she may have to have it surgically removed (cutting her hand open to get to it). She did the right thing by tapping.  Metal will cause blood poisoning and infection very easily.  

I kind of wished they'd given a quick update at the end of the show as to what happened with her hand. I'm very curious if it was indeed in the tendon. 

On 6/14/2018 at 11:50 PM, LittleIggy said:

My husband said the same thing. He kept yelling, "Look behind you!!!" There were tons of trees in the background as she was complaining about that. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ghoulina said:

My husband said the same thing. He kept yelling, "Look behind you!!!" There were tons of trees in the background as she was complaining about that. 

I guess she couldn't see the trees for the forest  :)

Nicole is probably my favorite, she has such a good attitude.  Although I hate when people give the "I finished my journey here" excuse when they tap out.  She did so well in season 2 until the salmon stopped spawning.

Feel bad for Carleigh, I like Sam, Jesse deserves a second chance after being pulled out because his brother got hurt.  Larry is entertaining but I don't really want to see him win.

• Love 6

that was dead wood, I think she was looking for live trees. It would probably be a better ant larva food source.  I have an old rotting stump in my back yard, I put a planter on it until it no longer supported it. I attacked it with a hammer to get it down to the ground.  

I think Nicole was looking f or building trees. 

• Love 3

I'm going to go against the grain here. I was a canoe guide in Northern Manitoba back in my younger years. 

I did, and do, really like Carleigh. But, I've personally extracted 3 barbed hooks before in really remote locations. 1 of them very similar to her injury. 

I think it's foolish to not have a multi tool as one of your survival items. All three times I was able to use my multi-tool to snip the eye and pull the hook out. There is no limit to how useful that tool is. 

• Love 9

Oh great, people!  So now I'm going to have to tell my husband that the reason I'm watching Nichole's segments again are to see if her boobs are being inappropriate.  Believe me, this is going to provide him endless entertainment (probably for years).  lol

• Love 3